Microbrew Invitational

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,207 | Ratings: 7,835
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled: October 2007. Bronze-like orange peel with blazing bonfire borders when backlit with sunshine. I'm amazed to see such a great looking head. The upper half of my crystal snifter is filled with a beauteous dollop of light brown sugar colored cream that is leaving plenty of glass coverage. So much for the theory that alcohol is a lid and lace killer.

Despite the EXTREME nature of the beer, the aroma is no different than the aromas of many lower-ABV DIPAs. Sure, there's a bit more alcohol, but at least it doesn't smell like solvent. I'm not disappointed that it isn't over-the-top hoppy because I knew it wouldn't be. Let's go with grapefruit and orange rind macerated in white rum.

One thing is obvious right off the bat: 120 Minute IPA is unique beer (a Dogfish Head specialty). It's also good beer if one has the right attitude going in. Using a snifter, drinking it barely cool and taking small, whiskey-sized sips is the way to go.

One of my initial impressions is how well-hidden the alcohol is. There is plenty of 10.0% beer that's boozier and hotter than this. Kudos to Sam for having the chops to pull it off in such remarkable fashion. Of course, it helps immensely if you're used to drinking 100-proof bourbon neat.

I decided to review this relatively fresh bottle and let my 2005 bottle age a little bit longer because I wanted to get the maximum impact out of the hops. Now that I've tasted it, I'll definitely be on the lookout for a superfresh bottle. Despite the absolutely insane amount of hopping, the beer is sweeter than it is bitter. Thankfully, the hops provide much more flavor than the pale malt. Think Cointreau mixed with 90 Minute IPA. Orange is clearly the dominant fruit on the taste buds.

The mouthfeel is superb as well. It's full, no question about it, but I've had barleywines that were more thick, sappy and gooey. The secret to keeping things from bogging down must be a perfect amount of carbonation. All things considered, the mouthfeel is brewing craftsmanship par excellence.

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA is anything but a typical DIPA. In truth, I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. This is one of those cases in which extreme beer is also incredibly good beer. Even though I won't be drinking it often, I'm now a huge fan and will spring for a bottle or two on those rare occasions when I run across them. The bottom line is that this is delicious and surprisingly drinkable hop liqueur.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to jaxon53 for getting this to me!

Pured a deep orange, cloudy with lots of visible carbonation. Thick lace with lots of swirls rounding about in the top, looks alive. Very nice hue and presentation.

Smell will knock you on you ass1 Deep pine resin, nothing I have ever smelled before, and lots of alchol. It actually started to burn my noce it was so strong. As it warms, citrus starts to flow, grapefruit, pineapple, but the pine nugget explosion is definatly intense,

The flavor is rediculous. It tore up my mouth, almost undrinkably bitter, but that just spurred me on. A whole new level of hops, and of beer for that matter. Warming is not the word, this keep my whole house warm last night.As it warmed alot of complex and sweet flavors came to the front, but the most again was a sort of pine sap flavor. The finish was a huge deep dry finish. This is an amazing beer, just huge hops, alcohol is obviously a factor, but if you limit yourself to one, I don't see it affecting the drinkability. I actually re loved this, and would love to try it again. Nothing but really positives on this one.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

2007 Vintage.

Appearance: Pours a clear, amber body with a tight inch of off-white foam. Impressive that it can even form and sustain a head with all that booze in there.

Smell: Whoo! Even upon opening you get a whiff of alcohol-soaked hops. Very apricoty, maybe a few golden raisins. Leafy and tremendously resiny hop character and, of course, an excessive, though exciting amount of fusel alcohol.

Taste: Whoo-boy!! Ultra sweet, incredibly juicy apricot taste. Searing alchol presence upon that first sip, but give it some time, friends, that'll pass. Sharp flavors of ruby red grapefruit citrus oils and pine resin. Still, though, I get alot of apricot. All of the high levels of malt, hops, and alcohol push and shove each other around without letting one quality sit on the tongue for too long. The grapefruit and apricot come together, become morphed, and start tasting of mango and passion fruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-low carbonation. Sticky yet also pretty warming.

Drinkability: A sipper, for sure, but a good one. Really holds itself together fairly well for being packed to the gills with malt, hops, and booze. Like it or not, it's hard not to be having a good time when you finish the bottle.

3.06/5  rDev -22.7%

A: A hazy golden/straw color with a pretty solid white head.

S: Citrus, especially orange and grapefruit, lots of caramel and sugar.

T: Incredibly malty and sweet, too much sugar in your tea sweet. Tons of booze. Some orange flavor and seemed like some banana also. Not really any hop bitterness to this, which is unfortunate, because I feel it would really help this beer out in terms of balance.

M: Obviously this thing has enormous body, but their was almost a grainy feel to it, probably because of how sweet it was.

D: As much as I'd like to be a tough guy on the subject, this beer is not very drinkable. I'm glad to say that I've tried it, but I don't think I will have it again any time soon.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a flute glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a short foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is strong with wheat alcohol, hops, honey & caramelized malt. I was expecting a bit more hops in it though.

T: The flavor is boozy, but with a 21.00% ABV, it was what I anticipated on that front. What I hadn’t anticipated was the intense syrupy, honey & brown sugar sweetness that accompanied the sting of the alcohol. There’s a little bit of hops there, but it’s simply over-powered. Knowing what the 60 & 90 Minute IPA’s are like, I definitely thought that there would be a heck of a lot more hop character in this one. The only real hops significance comes out a little bit in the after-taste as the beer warmed some.

M: Smooth for something so powerful, medium body, medium carbonation, oily & sticky finish.

O: Even though this beer isn’t filling and is very flavorful, I can’t see how this beer can’t see how it can be anything else but a sipper with such a huge ABV. However, I probably drank it a little quicker than I should have. Luckily I was plowing pretzels along with it to help with alcohol absorption.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

First had: bottle from Eulogy (secret stash), Philly, PA

I've now had the '08 vintage bottle (April '11), the '11 batch on tap, and a sample from an '03 bottle (Oct. '11). Thanks to Brewerdan for the latter.

*The following review applies to the '03 bottle. The on tap batch, and the '08 were similar to each other and I wrote a separate review for them. The '03 was almost like a different beer altogether.

This was an entirely different monster than I expected, after having the '11 batch, and recollecting the '08 from a few months ago. I don't know if the beer was tamer back then, or if it just mellowed out a lot over the past 8 years. Poured a slightly hazed orange-amber, noticeably lighter than the Raison D'Extra sitting next to it. Slight patchy layer of white head. Aroma of oak, leafy hops, and sugar. I prepared myself for the strong-tasting quaff I've experienced before, but my eyes lit up when I took my first sip of the '03 vintage. Very mellow and flavorful. Instead of being right in your face like newer batches, the alcohol punch took a back seat to a creamy lemony hoppiness overlaid on sweet caramel malts. Notes of pine and butterscotch too. Wow...I liked the other batches, but this was...drinkable! Smooth mouthfeel, a little heavier than medium-bodied.

If this batch has been brewed consistently the same with no change to the recipe, then I can safely say: it take 8 years [minimum] for this beer to evolve to its perfect state.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

Served in a flared pokal at Bliss.

The first of a couple surprise bottles cracked at the latest Bliss tasting. It pours a slightly murky orange-straw-amber topped by a finger of bright cream foam. The nose comprises heavy pine resin, mentholated honeydew, rich caramel, and a hardy backbone of alcohol. The taste brings in much of the same, with everything taken to the nth degree. Honestly, it's all a bit much when put together like this. The body is a heavy-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a nearly chewy, syrupy feel. Overall, what could have been a decent DIPA is hindered by what I can only call too much girth and presence. There's just too much of everything here for anything good to come of it.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

12 ounce bottle into signature tulip glass, bottled on 2/28/2013. Pours very hazy deep orange/copper color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, lemon peel, pineapple, tangerine, peach, mango, citrus rind, pine, caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of bright citrus/tropical/piney hops and moderate malt notes; with great strength. Taste of big grapefruit, lemon peel, pineapple, tangerine, peach, mango, citrus rind, pine, caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, mango, lemon peel/rind, pine, caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Incredible complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/tropical/piney hops and moderate malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Good amount of dryness from bitterness and spicy alcohol on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very smooth, moderately crisp/sticky, and lightly creamy/slick mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is well hidden with a light-moderate warmth lingering after the finish with zero booziness. Overall this is an outstanding DIPA, especially considering the ABV. All around awesome complexity, robustness, and balance of bright citrus/tropical/piney hops and moderate malt flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the huge ABV. Extremely surprised and impressed with this vintage, as there is still a ton of hop complexity present and it does not feel overly heavy or malty at all; even after being nearly 3 years old. Other vintages I have had at similar age have been much sweeter and a bit cloying. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Got this in trade from DDarden, cheers! Bottled on12/16/06

Pours caramel/apricot with 2+fingers of sand colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Big-time breadyness & piney hops.

T: Cakey, with honey, dates & in your face piney hops, plus some booze burn up front. Middle has pralines, caramel, baker's chocolate & more booze. Finishes dry, boozey with port notes, apricots & apple skins (fruitty)

MF: Chewy, slick, but a touch of carbonation, skews a bit malty to say the least

Drinks good for the abv, but I prefer a more restrained DIPA, at say 1/2 to 1/3rd the ABV. I would say based on my 2 tastings to age at least 3 years

3.45/5  rDev -12.9%

Thanks to ThePeskyDingo for sharing this one with me.

Poured into Sierra Nevada Glass.

Pours a 1/2 finger, very slightly off white head. Color is slightly hazy golden sunset orange. Not to well of head retention, but what can a person expect at 18%abv.

Aroma: I get nail polish remover off the top. Very slight booze. Some citrus. A lot of earthy hops. Kind of weird, but what else are you going to get at this much abv. It is my first of its kind and very unique.

Taste: Here is the booze. Honey, citrus blend, massive amounts of floral hops, bready malts, some fresh pineapples. Very sugary.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but very creamy as compared to what I was expecting. Med-full bodied. Medium carbonation. Leaves a boozy floral aftertaste. 1 word to describe this: Wow!

Overall, this was quite the sipper. Glad I shared it with Russ. I don't know if I could have a lot of this. Not to bad for the abv, but definitely a beer to drink in moderation.

Thanks to whoever brought this one to our IPA day celebration. An original 2003 big bottle, which I believe is the very first batch.

A - Pours murky yellow, with quite a bit of sediment floating in it, with a small half finger tall white head leaving no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of huge amounts of candied sugar, caramel malt, booze, light tropical fruits, and just the faintest hint of citric hops. It has held up ok but the sweetness has only gotten stronger.

T - Starts off with a HUGE dose of candied sugar sweetness slowly giving way to a mix of caramel malt, dulled tropical fruits, tiny bit of citric hop bitterness, and lots of warming booze. While this one is eight years old it still has plenty of sweet booze to go around. The finish is very sweet, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, syrup like, feel with plenty of sweetness lingering through the finish.

O - I have had this stuff fresh, aged for a few years, and now aged for the maximum amount of time, and every time I leave it feeling let down. If you like over the top sweetness, this is your beer. If you like balance of flavors, avoid it at all costs.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Pours crystal clear yellow with minimal amounts of head. No lacing and no visible carbonation.

S: Aromas are fruity with hints of pineapple and the presence of the hops is easy to detect.

T: Flavor is cloyingly sweet and a pleasant amount of bitterness contributed from the hops and just a hint of the pineapple. The alcohol is subtly present in the taste.

M: Medium bodied with a light amount of carbonation. A little bit sticky.

O: Just too strong at 18% ABV to be easy to drink. I have enjoyed this beer the couple of times I have tried it but it just is not one of my favorites in the style - too sweet and not quite enough bitterness for me.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%

It pours a cloudy orange amber. Not much of a head, but there is some lace left behind.

Very strong pinecone-like hop smell--very fresh. This is too strong to detect much malt or alcohol.

This has the sweetness of fruit punch with a slight hop counter point. This is, for me, too much of a good thing. Strong alcohol warmth in the aftertaste along with the pine hop. Still, the sweetness prevails. Almost oily in the body with low carbonation.

This is an interesting beer, with extreme flavors all around. It is difficult to finish because of it overbearingness. I would say it is worthy of a one time try.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery all hail to this amazingly revolutionary brewery that push the envelope and shake the industry up to keep things exciting. Here is one of the finest Imperial IPAs I have come into contact with 120 minutes of continously hopped amber goodness with an off white cream toned short lived head, but at 20% abv it's all good. Aroma contains a plethora off hop tones including those of the floral, pine cone, and citrus (grapefruit) varieties along with one very distinct alcohol nose butterscotch. The taste is strikingly sweet with overly ripened fruit tones apricot and plum notes very nice very hoppy, but amazingly balanced with one hell of a warming effect. Mouthfeel is syrupy and full carrying all of these flavors very nicely. The drinkability at 20% is straight rediculous and at 25.6 oz. beware don't crack a bottle of this by yourself because you might be tempted to finish it.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

From 08/03/11 notes. Had on tap at Rustico in Ballston in Arlington, VA. Pretty excited to have a full glass of this as I tried 2 oz.'s of it up at NOTB/EBF back in March and enjoyed it quite a bit. 10 oz. pour into a stange.

a - Pour a reddish orange amber color with two fingers of light white head and moderate carbonation evident. Two minutes of retention and lots of fluffy lacing. Looks pretty good.

s - Smells of fruity malts, citrus hops, alcohol, sugar, tropical fruits. Overall very citrusy and sweet, but pretty nice. Not overly hoppy.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, cloyingly sweet, alcohol, candy, and sugar. VERY sweet; a little too much for me. Alcohol is definitely evident as well.

m - Medium to full body and moderate carbonation. Body is thick and almost syrupy, and the alcohol is definitely evident when drinking this one.

o - Overall a pretty good beer, but I was a bit disappointed. It is very strong and very very sweet, and does not have a ton of fresh hops going on with it, more fruity malts. While I enjoyed it, a 10 oz. pour was way too much. They offered 4 oz. samples of the beer which sounds about perfect to me; halfway through the glass it got kind of rough. I'd have it again, but would want to keep it to the 2 or 4 oz. pours. Pretty good, just not what I look for in a DIPA.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Had on tap when the Bros. came to brew for EBF. This is a test batch made at the brewpub.

A: Came in a snifter glass. Hazy orange in color with a very white one finger head. Left some really nice lacing all the way down the glass. Had some small carbonation bubbles released.

S: Smells extremely fresh, extremely sweet with lots of grapefruit. I get some pine, but it is really light and different than most pine aromas on IPAs, hard to place it though. Get some caramel malts on the end.

T: Lots going on here. Extremely sweet and candied. Has a honey flavor and citrus hops, very earthy. The grapefruit comes through as does some orange peel. On the first sip there was a little bit of alcohol, but the rest of it surprisingly did not have much of a booze presence.

M/D: Thick and creamy. Much smoother than anticipated. Very fine bubbles give it a really nice mouthfeel. The alcohol was there a bit, but really not that bad. Its a sipper for sure, but I really didn't have trouble drinking it at all. Wouldn't have guessed it to be 18% if I didn't already know. Not an everyday beer, but a nice treat.

2.46/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle dated 5/1/09 poured into my Dogfish snifter. It poured a murky orange amber color with a thin white lacing scattered across the top of the beer.

The aroma is sweet, sugary and boozy. The hops pretty much either faded away at this point or are overshadowed by the sweet maltiness. Caramel, brown sugar and alcohol are the main flavors I get out of it.

The taste is also extremely sweet and boozy. There is some caramel maltiness to it, but it's more of a sugary, candy like flavor. The finish has a touch of residual hop bitterness, but not nearly enough. The alcohol also shows through too much, giving it a hot, boozy finish.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with carbonation being low for the style. Overall, I don't think it aged well at all and was approaching undrinkable. The lack of hoppiness just made it cloyingly sweet and boozy. It was kind of like a bad, really unbalanced, one dimensional barleywine. I've had it fresh and remember liking it better than this bottle. I'll make an effort to revisit a fresh bottle and update my review when I can find one.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Slightly hazy orangish amber with a thin head that lasts as a thin cover. Not bad head retention for abv.

The smell is of strong citrus, some pine, some peppery alcohol.

The taste is of thick, chewy hops - citrus and pine especially. Nice hop profile. Raw alcohol mixes in with hops, leaving some peppery heat in the mouth. Although not quite as much as a 21%er might. A bready malt background give it a thicker body and some balance.

The feel is thick and full-bodied. Syrupy with a rawness to it. A bit heavy on the tongue.

Well, this is well-hopped and alcoholic. It's nice, but alcohol does disturb drinkability, and even enjoyment to a degree because it kills quite a bit of the aftertaste. A nice DIPA, but I can't say I liked it more than the 90 minute. It states on label "ages well". I do suggest cellaring it a few years to see if it mellows some, as it does have good potential.

3.92/5  rDev -1%

I split a bottle of this with the other Matt a few days ago. Bottle from my cellar. Vintage December 2006.

The beer is hazy and orange / ruby hued. The head is insubstantial, and leaves only faint traces of lacing behind.

The aroma is dominated by a large alcohol and hop presence, despite the nearly five years of aging.

The taste is very bold and assertive, with notes of sweet fruits and a lot of booze. Hop presence is still there, though less forward than in a fresh bottle. The beer is more of an American barleywine than double IPA.

This is a seriously high octane beer. Three to four ounces is more than enough. A 12 oz. bottle could easily be shared four to six ways.

Overall, this was a decent brew. However, I much prefer beers like J.W. Lees if I want a beer of this ilk, i.e. strong and sweet.

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Gorgeous bright ruby red color, very sizable, bubblingly creamy head...
Aroma...massive, intense, huge, towering, flowering, flowing over in the air, in the senses, in the soul, ...big, fat fruit, grapefruit, peach, apricot, mango, more...and not too bitter, surprisingly pleasant...
...and, to taste...Oh, my goo'niss! Ah, ah, ah!!!
INCREDIBLE occurence on the palate, prodigious, amazing, and highly flavorful...floods and gushes, uplifts, elevates, urges pleasure at the very instance lip meets cup and ale enters body...full-bodied to say the least, with a long, tantalizing finish, and additional candyish notes that linger on and on...
An IPA that lays me low, knocks me down a notch, and leaves me no recourse but to bow down and let it wash over...every subsequent taste provides further onslaughts of flavor...oh, yum, yummy, McYum-Yums...
During consumption of this ale, I had no idea of the ABV, for it's been carelessly omitted from the label...20%!?!?! ...hot damn!
Sticky, fruity, gummy, sweet, this surely transcends the boundaries of the India Pale Ale, and feels closer to a barleywine, or even a mead or brackett...but whatever the Hell it is, I love it!

Everlasting thanks to DrewS. for this bottle!

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a clear golden amber color. Bold nose of citus and very earthy, spiced hops. Thin white head quick to dissolve. Smelling very sweet malt. Quite a bit of lace initially brought on by the head. Malt/sweet monster of a beer. Huge alcohol astringency and punch. Feel is very syrup-like. Warming finish. You can taste the carmalization of the sugar in this beer as well as smell it through the hops. The spice of the hops is very enjoyable in a very earthy way, not the usual hop bomb grapefruit attack of citrus. Much more sweet than I expected and the hops are not playing the bitterness roll that I thought they would. Very enjoyable. Can't wait to have my next one of these.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip. 2011 vintage.

Appearance - Light amber, dark gold body with a little bit of a head. Very clear and a tiny bit of lacing, which is stunning considering the ABV. Swirling it around coats the glass. It doesn't look nice in the traditional sense, but it still looks classy.

Smell - Interesting nose. At first, I didn't get alcohol. The second smell was all alcohol. It smells like apple juice and raisins. Maybe cherries, too. It's all malt. Some floral hops, but it's tough behind all that malt.

Taste - Like drinking honey. Extremely sweet. I get almost no hops from the flavor. A lot of apple and other fruits in the malt. A little bit of a hop bitterness in the finish, along with loads of booze.

Mouthfeel - Not as syrupy as I'd expect, but still thick. A lot of booze and low carbonation. It is what it is so it's tough to hold that against it, but it's still tough to drink.

Overall - This one's fresh and I have one to age. We'll see how it develops, but I'm not in a rush to drink any more of these fresh.

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Thanks to Hoyt for bringing this back from his travels up north.

Pours a dark, hazy orange with a quarter inch of soft, dense, white head that has good retention. The nose is very bready and malty with a hint of birthday cake sweetness and some faint citrus hop aromas. There are some definite alcohol esters here. The flavor is identical to the nose. The taste is heavy malt up front with notes of birthday cake and bread followed by a mild citrus hop character with hints of grapefruit and pineapple. The alcohol makes itself known throughout. It adds warmth and body as well as some bite in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied, incredibly warm, very smooth, and mildly carbonated.

I really enjoyed this beer. It's like the 90 minute on steroids. The malt character is intense and lends to a more barley wine-like flavor. The hops are more mild but noticeable. It's incredibly boozy, but in a good way in my opinion. I'm sure age would mellow this out big time. If I can ever come across it again, I will definitely be buying a few more.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. Not sure what year this is but I'll assume its a 2009 vintage. Beer is orange / brown, high haze, thin white head, tiny to medium bubbles, carbonation mild. The beer clarifies as it warm, it becomes almost completely clear, this is chill haze. They should just add "chill haze" to the style description of DIPA since I have yet to have one that does not have this characteristic, and I penalize all of them for it.

Aroma is strong, full of hops and alcohol, malt sweetness, it is a lot to take in. Smells more solventy than I expect, slight deduction.

Beer is very sweet and has a lot of bitterness at the back end. The sweetness is a mixture of alcohol / solvency and malt character. It is very interesting and the hop bitterness is well balanced. This is NOTHING like the 90 minute IPA. Let us be clear, they are different beasts. It is not as thin as I thought it would be and the mouthfeel is really great. This beer is surprisingly (dangerously) easy to drink. Drinkability very high. A well crafted fine DIPA, more like a QIPA. Overall a good drink, this is probably the third or forth time I've had it, still a good drink.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Wow, it has been a long road you and me mister 120. This was the first beer I ever reviewed on BA, and boy was that some time ago. Man how things have changed... for all of us!

Poured on tap into a snifter glass at Pizza Paradiso Dupont DC.

A really nice off white, off caramel colored head with tiny bubbles presenting a creamy like appearance. A real glowing orb of cloudy orange and light amber. As the beer settles it becomes clear showing off it's great orange transparency.

Nose is a distinct and real interesting unique flavor. It is without question, salted caramels. Slight hints of sweetness, no hop presence but like the smell of perfect French sea salted caramel.

Taste is mild sugar hopped citrus orange and some grapefruit, but mostly a great sweet tangerine citrus sweetness. Caramel like malts come to match the nose profile. Texture is big and bold but surprisingly not syrupy, not even boozy for such a high abv, but gives just a hint of sharp and very quick disappearing pine stinging hop with minor alcohol on the finish.

Overall surprisingly impressive. Not that hoppy really but also not as sweet as I remember it. The salted caramel angle is real nice and I certainly don't remember that at all. And for a whopping eighteen abv, I honestly could hardly tell. I've had 13-11-10 percent barleywines that just flat out knocked me out, this... like drinking a charm. Fantastic. Perhaps a re-review of the bottle should be in the cards.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery