120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
johnniemarg

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Cloudy, dark golden color with a persistent 1 finger of head. Small bubbles move very slowly to the top after the pour, hinting at the thickness of this. Sheets of lacing cover the glass.

The smell is very very sweet. Bubble gum and spice.

This tastes very good, but not like any kind of "ipa" at all. It tastes like the best quad I've ever had. The sweetness tastes like candy sugar. Despite all the hops, they are hard to distinguish. I guess most quads I usually feel are unbalanced towards the candy sugar and alcohol, so the tons of hops in this I guess balance them out perfectly for me. The taste is very good and smooth and the alcohol at over 20% is not overbearing. The hops I think are little more than a spicy aftertaste on my tongue.

The alcohol in this beer actually numbs my tongue a bit. This has the consistency of engine oil and immediately begins to warm and numb my mouth with an alcohol spice.

I will give this a "4" on drinkability because it's amazing they have balanced this out so well at over 20% alcohol. It's an easy drinking beer, all things considered. More than one of these would be out of the question generally, but this one is mighty tasty and enjoyable. Fantastic balance for such a high abv extreme beer.

04-29-2006 03:04:30 | More by johnniemarg
b2611

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours with a half inch white head that recedes to a thin ring.
virtually no lacing on glass.
amber in color
smell is honey with virtually no hop smell
taste is sweet becoming boozy with a slight bitter taste that sits on your tongue.
overall not my favorite IPA but a good offering from dogfish. Won't go out of my way to track this down but if offered why not.

03-14-2012 22:36:33 | More by b2611
sludgy

06-17-2012 00:49:58 | More by sludgy
Broden

11-06-2012 22:17:16 | More by Broden
TVolt1

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Good appearance. Amber color with moderate white head and minor lacing. Decently clear.

S: Smells like a cross between an IPA and a sour beer. I am a big fan of sours so this is a turn on to me regarding the beer smell. Def. makes me want to drink it.

T:Got a good alcohol burn to it - warms me right up! Has a very malty taste to it with flavors like vanilla and toffee. I was hoping it was going to taste more like an IPA but instead had a very strong malty flavor to it and minimal hops.

M: Good mouthfeel. I think the perfect thickness to it and bubbly on the tongue. Maybe a little too carbonated but I enjoy carbed up beer.

O: Overall, not quite what I was expecting. All the different aspects of this beer are different score and create different feeling in me. I wanted to like this beer more than I do - wanted to rate it 5 however can't. Still is a decent beer and would tell friends to give it a try.

02-20-2012 04:37:31 | More by TVolt1

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

01-10-2014 00:45:49 | More by Metalmaniac915
itcomesnpints

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Surprisingly extensive creamy head covers a light bronze haze. A candied aroma of apricot, pineapple and ginger succeeds at masking the high abv. The taste is fruity and spicy, and there really is no apparent bitterness from the hops. The alcohol is concealed very well by the generously carbonated and full-bodied mouthfeel. 120 Minute IPA is more drinkable than expected, and the only factor keeping it down is the high price (lucky for me or I wouldn't be walking away from this one). All in all this is a great "beer". Calling it a beer is a stretch. Calling it an IPA is comical. But calling it incredible is an understatement.

08-21-2008 16:50:49 | More by itcomesnpints
StrangeBrewer76

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

At my local there were quite a few on the shelves at 8.99 ea aged 6 months so I had to get it.

Poured into DFH snifter a cloudy tarnished gold color with a skin of a head with various sized bubbles.

The smell is strong, very, very strong. I had to pull away while trying to take a good whiff. The only smells coming through the alcohol burn is pine resin and wonder bread.

on first sip the lacing is absolutely frozen on the side.

If there were supposed to be some hops in this DIPA, they must have dissolved in the alcohol to temper it a bit.

Kinda wish I hadn't poured this all for myself on a school night.

Caramel brandy comes to mind as I get into it a bit.

The mouthfeel is fantastic if you sip and swish ever so gently. It's like a whipped cream texture.

This is a perfect sipper, great for a treat, good to share. A little heavy on the body but as this beer ages I'm sure it goes through many subtle changes.

02-05-2009 03:57:29 | More by StrangeBrewer76
bgjohnston

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

This has been one of my favorite beer drinking experiences since I discovered it. I only have one once every 3-4 months or so, but am enjoying one on a special occasion tonight, and feel inclined to finally write a review.

Appearance is not what this beer is about. It doesn't have much of a head, even if poured vigorously; it's cloudy and a dull brown in color, and it really doesn't do much in this category.

However, as the glass gets closer to your nose, you pick up a sharp astringent smell that let's you know this one is hot. If you like this sort of thing, like I do, then you know this is something special. It is very distinctive, with grapefruit, pine sap and some sweetness, too.

A sip brings more of the same, and with real force. A major reason why I rate this one highly for taste and mouthfeel is how a few drops of this beer light your mouth up. Having been a whiskey drinker for many years, it still surprises me that a "mere" beer can do this.

Drinkability is what anyone should expect from something this strong. I would never dream of drinking more than one in a night, but even so, you still spend the whole evening drinking it, as it is a slow sipper.

More of an experience than just a beer. Try it at least once. If you like this sort of thing, you know who you are, and you will be back for more.

08-18-2009 01:27:20 | More by bgjohnston
Pabs311

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

bottle dated 02/09/09

A- pours a hazy, orangy straw color, with very little white foamy head . no lacing at all. i'm sure that the alcohol content help to knock both of these down.

S- Sweet, maltiness characterized by sugar, hony and raisins. behind this malt is citrusy and tropical fruit hops. a good deal of alcohol too.

T- Very sweet, unexpected for an IPA. Alot of malt upfront with the same sweet sugar, honey and raisin flavors. then followed and finished by the hops, presented as citrus and tropical fruits. also a good bit of alcohol warmth in the finish.

M/D- very full bodied. a sipper for sure. I'm a huge fan of the 60 and 90 mins, but i think i'll pass on the 120 next time, especially at the price tag. I was expecting a huge hop profile on this but was dissapointed by that.

03-01-2010 03:11:29 | More by Pabs311
BlastBeats

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

While thoroughly examining the impressive beer menu at the Sunset Grill & Tap in Boston, MA, I noticed it. Could it be? Yes, to my surprise, they had Dogfish Head's elusive 120 Minute IPA on tap.. and there was no way I could walk out of that establishment without having tried it.

Appearance: the lighting at the bar was dark, which limited my ability to fully assess it's appearance. However, it's color is dark orange with a thin head.

Smell: right away, you could detect the booziness in the nose. This smell of alcohol seemed to fuse with the remaining citrus scents.

Taste: wow; unlike any other beer I've ever had! This beer has more than enough sweetness to balance out the gargantuan 120 IBUs. The hops are front and center, yet somehow, they don't seem to overpower the rest of the beer. The finish really sets the 120 apart from other IPAs; there's a bitter and warming sensation from the 18% alcohol that lasts longer than any other beer I've had to date.

Mouthfeel: there is a density in the mouthfeel that really demonstrates how big this beer really is. Almost syrupy in nature.

Overall: Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA is a truly unique beer. Often labelled a "sipper", I found it difficult to put my glass down. A must try for anyone that considers themselves a hop-head.

08-26-2011 08:29:40 | More by BlastBeats
gaffm

Indiana

12-09-2011 13:42:14 | More by gaffm
BeerSnobery

04-20-2013 21:57:25 | More by BeerSnobery
DawnL

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

I've had this beer several times now both on tap and from bottles.

This is craft beer at it's most extreme. I've never had two bottles taste the same - which I happen to enjoy as it just tells me the beer is made with real ingredients.

The beer has an agressive aroma - you can get a whiff of it long before you pour it. It's a heady aroma of hops and you can smell the alcohol. This is a beer that needs age.

Some bottlings were much more out of balance than others. There is a definite alcohol burn which should mellow over time.

I like a more balanced offering, but this is a well-crafted beer of high quality and I wish I had the ability to keep it for a couple years before imbibing. Alas, nothing in the house ever lasts that long.

07-15-2009 15:42:13 | More by DawnL
WhatsNewinBooze

Colorado

4.53/5  rDev +11%

This beer pours a copper color with a thin white foamy head that quickly fizzles out. The nose is hoppy but not in the traditional IPA way, it is more like carmalized hops with a little heat from the high ABV. The palate come across as sweet with flavors of carmalized orages and baking spices. The high ABV starts to show through n the finish with some heat. Great beeer just not something you would drink everyday

03-20-2010 14:07:54 | More by WhatsNewinBooze
toolg

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

05-22-2012 19:38:51 | More by toolg
antlerwrestler19

Nebraska

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a deep caramel/amber with a nice creamy one finger head that falls leaving a hint of web-like lacing and a cap resting atop the beer. The smell is an explosion of sweet fruit and caramel - definite pineapple and mango that mingles with the sweet caramel as I swirl my glass. Flavor - wow, this is just as intense as I anticipated - sweet citrus fruits mingle with bold caramel syrup-like attributes, leaves a flavor on the back of my tongue reminiscent of pineapple juice (the concentrated kind) - all is follow by a huge sweet caramel sugary malt backbone and definite booziness. The booze doesn't necessarily burn but there is a hint of a tingling feeling that coats my mouth letting me know that the alcohol is there. Nicely carbonated with a full bodied syrupy mouthfeel that envelops my entire mouth, sticky going down as well as hanging around on my palate. This beer was pretty intimidating before I even opened the bottle, I had no idea what to expect. That being said it was not nearly as bad as some people have described it but it wasn't a hugely delicious DIPA by any means. I'll definitely finish it, but in a slow and careful manner so as to respect the abv.

Cheers!