120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,154 | Hads: 7,597
3.6/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottled in 2004, Sampled August 2004
Pours a brilliantly clear, bright copper color. A wispy head forms, but then quickly disappears. Surprisingly it has a medium level of carbonation, which I was not expecting in a beer of this alcohol content. The aroma is of apricot, hops and some brandy-like alcoholic notes. There is almost a smell of candied hops here.

The beer is thick and sweet, yet somewhat light and not nearly as alcoholic tasting as I expected. A fair amount of hop flavor manifests itself as apricot, tangerine, pine, wildflower fields, and a bit of bitterness in the finish. This beer is much more enjoyable than I was expecting from such a beast. It certainly could use a bunch more hop flavor (especially given the billing). In the end though the hot alcohol wins out, and is a bit too much. This is good in a 2 to 4 oz samples, anything else is just too much.

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

I was lucky to grab the last bottle from the shelf at Marty's Liqour (Allston, MA) during my visit in BoTown. I haven't had a Double IPA for almost three months now, so I'll admit I'm a little nervous. The only problem is this isn't a Double IPA, it's greater than that. The numbers are earth shatering, 20% ABV, 120 IBU's, and 450 calories. Love the design on the bottle cap, though I think there should be a warning in text on the label too (Idea: if a fizzy yellow beer drinker inhales this, seek medical attention immediately.) Something's missing...oh yeah, my bottle opener and my oversized wine glass. Let me get those, and as soon as I come back, let go on to the beer:

Into the glass it goes...it's a deep orange color, chill hazed. Ruby red hues are mixed in this eye candy. The head is short-lived. The aroma isn't strong, but it is deep. Hops? Yes, there are hops, but it's surprisingly sweet. Lots of juicy tropical flavors in this one. More like concentrated syrup is what it is. It's like ecstasy; I want to continue smelling it. But I must press on to the taste...

Here we go...WOW, that is one smooth devil. I can still feel the alcohol inside of me. It isn't really "bitter" at all, it's just like the aroma. Sweet, juicy, tropical fruits all around. I want to continue sipping on it, but I must break a little more than I want as this is some very thick stuff. Very syrupy and carbonation is short lived on the palate. Oooo, ahhhh. Another sip please. Yes!!! More! WooHoo!! Although you feel the booze on your insides, you can't find much of it in the beer. Hold on, I got to lick the flavor off my lips. Yum. Hey, I'm feeling good now. I think I feel the alcohol starting to kick in. Let's wrap this up.

I was expecting to struggle against this beer, but my palate won the battle. I'm really glad I tried it out. I have nothing else to say expect this: get yours hands on a bottle if you see it. That is unless you hate thick syrupy beers.

3.56/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found a little guy (12oz) single at Liquor Mart in Denver.
Pours a glossy rust color, orange and copper hints. Big, big foam of off-white thick head. Chunked a bit. Nice lacing
Spice and citrus dominate the aroma, with alcohol and the pine hops coming in and out.
Taste is intense. Spice, citrus, alcohol, hops, pine, oak, some sweet malt. The syrup feel clings a bit and reminds me of PineSol. The abv is huge, and this bottle was all I can gulp.
A good try, but I'll stick with the 60/90 ipa

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Shared a bottle on Christmas with a friend.

Pours a slightly cloudy deep orange/amber with a smallish off white head that leaves us much to soon. Smells of hops, no kidding huh? Resinous Piny Citrusy hops. Lots of malt in the nose as well, caramel, burnt sugar, biscuit. Taste follows the nose, first a hop assault of grapefruit, resin and pine then the caramel, molasses malts mixed in with a little alcohol. Desceptively easy to drink for such a strong brew. Mouthfeel is syrupy, Body is thick, carbonation is moderate. Wow that is one big beer! We both loved this brew.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottled 12/18/05

Wow, the drinkability really surprised me here. It was a sipper, but a fine one for the alcohol. I guess its had some time to mellow, but still. The boozey flavors were very low with estery malts and and fruit punch hops flavor. I remarked to a friend that it tasted like "hops candy." Its not the richest or most complex beer, but its good and its different.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, 21.00% alc./vol., this is my 3rd time having this immense ale,

A: Pours a clear amber orange, with a fair white head, looks almost spiritous.

S: Very interesting, a full brunt of pine hops attacks first, lemon, orange liqueur, and ethanol, kind of peaty as well in the end - scotch like, but it's a minour note.

T: Quite hoppy on the first taste, hoppier than I remember it being - piney, some grapefruit there, then it balances out, becoming a lot more sweet, orange comes out, some spice notes - pepper and coriander-esque, banana, and also a large amount of solvent alcohol character.

M: Alcoholic, solventy, phenolic, full-bodied, viscous, thick.

D: Drinks a lot more like a spirit than a beer, but even at 21% alc./vol., it is surprisingly easy to drink, an drinks of a beer at half that potency. Very interesting and complex.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (2011 Vintage)

Appearance: Pours a dark ruby, clear with a very large pillowy head. Retention is understandably short livid, but some lace and a ring is left behind.

Smell: Oh My are the first thoughts. Alcohol and fresh smelling hops, notes of caramel, almost like an Eisbock. Lots of alcoholic esters are playing with an underlying sweetness, bringing to my senses aromas I never knew existed.

Taste: Big malt sweetness, piney hops stuggle to take hold. Alcohol is quite present, and the brew tastes eerily similar to some examples of the Eisbock style, where a portion of the beer is frozen to concentrate the flavors (and ABV). Mild pineapple notes are present as well, as is some erratic ale fruityness. Sugary malt and booze sticking to the back of the throat. Wood tones are also present, perhaps from the hops or is this wood aged? A symphony of flavors, if everyone in the symphony was drunk.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, lightly carbonated, alittle syrupy with lots of warming booze.

Overall: This is extreme beer. It is good but must be prepared for. When finished, where does one go? Wherever that is, you will find me there.

4.34/5  rDev +9.6%

Served on-tap and poured in a snifter, the beer is a bright, vibrant, hazy orange marmalade color with a frothy, dense, inch high head that is light tan in color and has very decent retention and cling. Aromas are a hophead's dream, with a blast of pine tassels and resiny, sticky, green fresh hops, balanced with a slight grapefruit citrus characteristic and subtle malt presence. Flavors are huge, and they explode the palate. Robust caramel malt backbone that is quickly surrounded by a roasted character that gives rise to the floral and resiny hops that abound. Wet, green, and heavy are the best descriptors I can give for the hops presence, with a slick, oily feel on the palate. The citrus from the aromas becomes much more subtle on the palate, being slightly absorbed into the malt presence and being somewhat overowered by the solid booze presence. Wow, this is a heavy hitter. The aftertaste is a rich tang of malt, with some peppery hops character making itself known. The finish is slick and rich, giving a slow recession off the palate. It really allows you to take it all in before the tongue recovers for another sip. This is a tasy brew!

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle shared by Steve at my 22nd birthday. 12oz bottle, 2010 date on the bottle.

Poured a slightly hazy orange brown, moderate amounts of retention and lace. Nose has loads of hops and citrus notes, mild pineapple among other things. Herbal notes, that I'm sure come as a result of the sheer amount of hops here. Some fusel alcohol. Massive malt base - caramel and toffee, some toasty malt notes as well. Taste has lots of resinous hop flavours, lightly toasty malts and sugary caramel and toffee notes. Chewy and sticky feel, but not extremely heavy. Ethanol and heat in the finish, fairly bitter but not palate shredding. Super sweet and rich overall, a sample of this was adequate. I wasn't terribly blown away with this, but this was certainly an experience.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a beautiful hazy honey color with a nice taut head that fades to a ring.

This beer has a delectable nose of caramel, orange peel, a slight hop spiciness, and some brandyish boozy smell.

This is a sweet treat with a long finish. Just as much a treat for malt heads as hop heads, and probably more so. Very sweet, perfect for an after dinner quaffer.
Spicy with hops and coriander up front, then a long, long malt bomb with very nuanced flavors of dried apricots and cherries, spice, and honey. This is followed by a long finish of honey spiked piney hops. Delicious now, but this would be absolutely extraordinary with some serious age on it. There is the slightest soy note that dissipates as it breathes.

The mouthfeel is very thick and rich with good carbonation throughout, something that I miss dearly in certain other over the top abv brews.

Drinkability is very good for its style- and after dinner sipper that is quite addictive.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Abosolutely outstanding! Another excursion across into Wisconsin and another great beer. Very malty and silky/syrupy on the palate. Not much head. You definitely notice the alcohol in the taste and even more so once you’ve finished! I was suprised to find that the hoppiness did not overwhelm this beer but that it was balanced very well.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

12 Oz bottle sampled through the efforts of dirtylou and The No BS BIF.

First I write out my will before approaching this hop bomb.

A pour in to my Duvel Tulip gives me a new motor oil thick and colored brew. A near clear apricot colored beer with a little bit of head, which is impressive as at 21% ABV this should be able to dissolve any head.

Smell is quite sweet and surprisingly fruity to the nose more like a barley wine than a mega IPA. Lots of aroma of melons and some pine and grapefruit. This has what I would call the Dogfish Signature aroma all over it, that melon smell that DFH seems to put in all its bigger beers. Bit of spicy black pepper is noticeable mostly from all the ethanol in this beer.

Taste is very sweet with a large hit of melons, fruit and raw sugar cane in the first taste. Very sweet beer with tons of melon and fruit flavors, this just isn't one of the better Mega IPAs like Pliny The Younger or FFF Dreadnaught.

Mouthfeel is syrup.

Not a super drinkable brew here. Super sweet and thick with a high alcohol content this is decidedly inferior to the best from Three Floyds or Russian River.

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%

Finally got my hands on this one thanks to korguy123. First beer ever poured in to my new CBS snifter. Bottled on 9/19/11.

A - Light to medium orange/amber colour; translucent. Half a finger of off white head that very quickly receded to a ring around the edges of the glass.

S - A huge alcohol aroma up front dominates the nose. Sweet caramel malts, toffee and muted citrus notes are evident. The alcohol is very dominant.

T - The alcohol is noticeable up front and remains warming throughout. A hop bitterness is evident as well but is somewhat masked by the alcohol burn. Sweet caramel and toffee flavours are present along with muted pine and citrus notes in the background. The finish is dry and slightly bitter with an alcohol burn lingering slightly.

M - Medium body, sticky. Light carbonation.

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

2007 batch, 12 oz bottle. Enjoyed in my favourite mug. An expensive but exciting treat from Milton, Delaware. Continuous 120 minute boil followed by one straight month of dry hopping!

Pours a beautiful colour, a toasty brown with orange hues. A fine level of off white head that leaves thorough rims of lacing. An absolutely explosive bouquet!!! Not quite like any other hop filled aroma - so potent, so fresh, so whole. Small hints of booze peak through but not initially, what strikes first is this tremendous smell of hops, filled with pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit. A great deal of malt too. An exotic taste profile - notes of citrus, and more hops! The hop resin has imparted so many different flavours, it's incredibly complex. The alcohol doesn't even show on every sip, and even when it does it stays surprisingly balanced within the flavours.

I'm not even sure what to say, or how to describe, the beer has overwhelmed me. Dangerously quaffable. Everything is so balanced, it's incredible! I couldn't of imagined this being so balanced AND so tasty! Even at 20% or so percent this still drinks like a beer. Far and away my favourite of the series...

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

On tap at the Blue Dog Pub...
Appears an amber color with a small white head that retains nicely and sticks around the glass with solid webbing and lace.
Smell is of intense sugary malt with tons, and tons, and tons of hop varieties. I'm getting rich biscuit, bread, followed by massive amounts of pine, citrus, grapefruit, orange, pineapple.
Taste is equal to the aromas in terms of intensity. To me, this is really the 90 minute stepped up a notch but it's a little harder to handle due to the high abv and intense flavors.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, sugary, bitter, and bread-like chewy.
Drinkability is good. This certainly didn't come across as being a 21% abv in the chalice but I was feeling it by the end of the chalice.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Had this one on-tap at The Yard House (Las Vegas) 10 Jun 2014

Pours a nice clear/clean golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus creamy off-white head, nice islands and sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is sweet, malty, hoppy, some dark fruit, maybe some caramel. The taste is pretty sweet, malty, nice hoppy effect, some kinda dark fruit going on. Nice sweet after taste with a nice alcohol warming effect in the body. Medium body. Very drinkable, definitely a sipper, I like this one, way to go DFH. I'm glad I had a chance to try this on-tap, way different than the bottle version.

Thanks goes out to Faro for this brew.

12oz. Bottle On 03/29/06

Pours a nice clear/clean golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice small one-finger creamy off-white head, nice islands and sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is sweet, malty, hoppy, some dark fruit, maybe some caramel. The taste is pretty sweet, malty, nice hoppy effect, some kinda dark fruit going on. Nice sweet after taste with a nice alcohol warming effect in the body. Medium body. Very drinkable, definitely a sipper, I like this one, way to go DFH. I'm glad I have another bottle that I bought.

3.94/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Pours a dark, dark copper/gold. Head is short lived. Love the carb bubbles.

S- Almost smells of a cider. Alcohol.

T- Alcohol overpowers everything which I was expecting. Slight sweetness followed by bitterness, neither of which is too overwheming. A definite sipper.

M- Creamy.

D/O- Drinkability is near zero but loved every second of my 6 ounce glass...split a 12 ounce bottle of this 18% monster with a friend who then blew a .4 on my BAC device. Been looking forward to this day for awhile after having many 60 and 90 Minutes. Thanks PTMcB!

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a murky brown-orange colour, with some loose-bubbled head initially. The head dissipates quickly, unsurprising considering the high alcohol content, but there is a little white fizz around the edges. Body looks surprisingly thin considering the strength of the brew. Overall, it looks good, if a little scary.

Extremely strong nose, full of spiritous alcohol and sharp high-alpha hop acids. Citrus is pungent, and the alcohol is redolent of brandy. Little sweetness, although there is a port-like residual sugar character lingering around - mostly the alcohol and the hops take charge, however.

Strong and pungent on the palate, initially brash with citric hop bitterness, before the tingling warmth of booze bellows up from the back, roaring a fire of spicy spirit-like burn through my mouth. The alcohol is the main-event here, slightly sweeter than pure spirits, but almost with the intensity. The hop character even takes a backseat to the booze. I can't deny it's confronting, but it's almost too much - perhaps there is a limit to just how far you can push beer after all.

Overdone. Too full of booze, and too straight up with its roar of dominant power. If you're after insanity, maybe this is the beer for you. For me, while it is in all respects unique, it's so far beyond the realms of decency, and so confrontingly undrinkable. Maybe it mellows with age. Maybe we'll see. Right now, I can't abide it, even if I can respect it.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

I have reviewed this beer previously, but from a 750 ml. bottle. However, that was a while back, and according to the DFH rep at Max's last night, they have tweaked the recipe a bit the last few years (whatever that means). In any event, the beer I had last night was so superior to what I had out of the bottle last, they might as well have been two different beers.

The draft version pours a beautiful orange amber color, with decent foam retention and great lacing. The beer smells very sweet, but there is noticeable citrus from the hops as well. On the palate the beer is sweet, with a cornucopia of cherry, currents, raisans, pineapple and other tropical fruit. However, unlike the bottle version I had, all of sudden there is a huge wash of hops that pounds through the sweetness. Nevertheless, this beer is still viscuous, rich, smooth and long, but with refreshing citrus in the finish from the hops.

The abv. is certainly still noticeable, and there's no way you can drink a lot of this (who'd want to) or drink it too quickly. Definitely a sipper... and a beer where the abv. becomes increasingly noticeable as it warms and sits in the glass. Still, an excellent beer. Very, very impressive...

4.69/5  rDev +18.4%

A – Bright orange amber body. Light off-white head is thin with low lace, but what’s there manages to stick around with nice retention.

S – Soft, fruity alcohol, cloves, buckwheat honey, and a generous helping of apricots and stewed pairs. Round floral notes accent the nose.

T – Opens with a delicious combination of caramel, buckwheat honey, and an apricot reduction. White hot alcohol clears out the center of the profile to reveal bright woody hops. The bitterness glows through a cocktail of booze and honey on the slow, meandering finish.

M – The booze lends an ethereal quality to what is otherwise a full body.

O – Slow sipping, but complex and delicious. Think whisky IPA.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

2006 Vintage My Celebration brew on Nov 4th, Yes We Can...drink beer. Poured a burnt orange color with a nice rocky white head. Absolutely beautiful brew! Nose was strong bit of hops and alcohol. Some dried fruits on the nose with some citrus, apricot and malts. The beer over 2 years had really balanced itself on the taste. Hops had subsided. Previously I thought the brew was way off balanced, to hopped up and too hot to finish. Now it was great. Another two years and it would be perfect. Taste was warming, sweet, hopped, well hopped, the citrus feel in the middle. Mouthfeel was good and warm. Drinkability gets better with age. Much better. Another two years and I would give it a 5. I need another..somebody beermail me. I give it a A-

2008 Poured a nice orange color with a small white head, little carbonation. Nose was a blast of alcohol, citrus notes, and maybe some wood and caramel malt. Taste was just obnoxious. ABV was to much, all I tasted minus the small notes of malts and slight citrus with no hop bitterness(ABV probably killed that too). Not balanced noMouthfeel was bad, could not stand to really swish it around. Going down it was not smooth. ABV is up there and the taste was just..not good.Not for me! C-

It has been a while since I have found a five but this is it. Pours with a three-finger, bubbly cream head that fades slowly and leaves a nice lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation. Nose is sweet, gingery, malty. Starts with a perfect mix of malt and hops and finishes smooth and sweet NOT a session beer . . . savor this beer . . . their site has this at 20% ABV. Medium bodied. This is the best IPA brewed in the States. Worth $7.99 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, Me

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a warm hazy dark orange body with a thick creamy mousse of a head. The head clings to the side of the glass and has a orange hue to it. After a bit there are some large bubbles starting to form in the head.

S- The smell of green piney hops comes through but not as strong as I was expecting. In the background there is some lightly caramel malt aromas. There is a nose of alcohol when this beer warms a bit.

T- The taste of caramel hops is quickly overpowered by a strong alcohol finish. The sweetness of the malt hangs on my lips and I didn't seem to notice the hops. Is this the right beer? With the next sip the alcohol note is blended with bitter hops as it burns my nose on the exhale. As the beer warms the hops start to come through but the alcohol becomes even more pronounced.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a strong alcohol heat in the finish.

D- I was expecting the hoppiest beer of my life but that was far from the case. I got loads of alcohol heat and some nice caramel malt note in the back but not the hops. This beer was fresh and I was hoping to get the most of the hops but no such luck. The bottle says the beer ages well but there is no "brewed on date" for reference. I love Dogfish Head but this beer is a bit of a letdown. I think with age the alcohol would die down but then do the hops die down even more?

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a clear medium red orange amber. Thin fine off-white head with good retention (of what little is there!) and lacing. Aroma is very close to a barley wine, sweet and caramel hops and herbal hops. Flavor is as intense as I expected. Sweet malt and alcohol up front, very bitter. A malty finish with a hop kick. At this point, it is interesting to drink, but a bit over the top in bitterness and alcohol. I'm looking forward to tracking this through time as it mellows. Very different and interesting.

2.19/5  rDev -44.7%

I am drinking a cold 12 oz poured into an Appalachian Brewing Co. tumbler.

Appearance: An auburn colored ale, this poured with a nice head and kept a residual amount of lace as the beer was consumed. It is translucent, with no sediment.

Smell: There are some light hop oils that I detect, but for the most part, I smell malts, lots and lots of malts, akin to a barleywine. For the beer advertised as the Holy Grail for Hopheads, this is more like the Messiah of Malts.

Taste: As with the smell, malts overwhelm any hop sensations throughout the sip. At the end of the sip, a bitterness of hops appears, but it is not sufficient to redeem this DIPA. On the bright side, the GIGANTIC, ENORMOUS, GINORMOUS ABV of approx 21% is not detectable.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel lacks any hop profile, which is disapoointing, as the 90 Minute IPA is a work of art. The malts sit nicely on the palate, but that is not typical of a DIPA.

Drinkability: The drinkability is redeemed by the masking of the ABV. One does not realize the high ABV when enjoying it, although that can easily get one in trouble.

Overall, this is an interesting creation from DFH. I enjoy the ale and recommend it. The low scores result from my attempt to review within the DIPA style.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery