120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Reviews: 2,153 | Hads: 7,593
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap.

Ok, I have never had this and when I saw my local taproom had it on tap I knew I had to give it a try to see what all the hype was about. I am not an IPA fan. The only IPA I like is Hopslam so I was skeptical going into this. A/Golden hue which I was expecting. S/Hoppy and sweet. I am not too sure what I was smelling that was sweet. T/Wow! This was thick almost syrupy with a sweet taste. It reminded me of a Barley Wine and then the hops hit me near the end. The hops were not a bad thing like in other IPA's I have had. It did not seem to kill my palate and the hops seemed to be balanced. I think some breweries throw as many different kinds of hops in and load it to the max and end up having a bitter, palate killing beer which people love, but I think DFH thought this one through and took their time. O/ I will search this out again but at 18% you have to make a commitment to it :) I can say I was very pleased and impressed. I feel that this beer lived up to its reputation. Well done!!

Just as an afterthought I did not think the alcohol was too apparent but my GF said "It is good but I feel like the alcohol just punched me in the face." haha

Bought 2 , i guess late 2015/eRly 2015. Totally Lived up to the hype. I bought 2 with the idea of aging. Not going to happen. Cant wait for the next special occasion to break it open. Next friday will do.

2.83/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Looks good smells good. Going to catch a lot of flak for this but tastes like straight alcohol. Might have tasted slight citrus before it burned my palate.

4.73/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Picked up one with a bottled date of June 2014, so nearly a year old. It looked and smelled like orange soda. It tasted almost like a sweet alcohol, almost brandy-like, with absolutely no burn. I was at first just a little bit disappointed as I thought it would be overwhelmingly bitter, but that comes on the finish. Not sure if it being aged changed it a bit. But wow, like nothing I've had before. $13 bottle was pricey, but I'll be trying again soon.

4.39/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: It is a hazy dark orange that you can hardly see through.

S: It has a surprisingly sweet malt smell followed by the big hops and of course, the booze.

T: Tropical Fruits at the beginning, followed by the booze and hops. after the first few sips, it all blends together.

F: It is very carbonated for the ABV, its got a good body, not too thick

Overall this is a great beer fresh or aged. I am reviewing the newest batch from 2014. I would strongly suggest sharing this with at least one other person, its a lot for one person.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's nice when you realize that your palate may have been untrained the first time you experienced a certain beer. I recall submitting a post about the only beer I ever drain poured. DFH, forgive me. My best guess is that I didn't check a bottled on date when I danced with this devil more than 7 years ago. Despite claims that it ages well, I am digging the hoppy experience I'm getting from a super fresh bottle. One whiff and a bed of hop cones made their way up the nasal cavity. That intensified with the first sip, featuring multiple layers of citrus notes on steroids, tethered with a honey-like sweetness that conditioned the effervescence of the warming alcohol. Fresh baked bread, so doughy and sweet -- this brilliant mothereffer is one exceptional treat. Hats off to Sam and his entire crew. I am sorry that I revisited this world-class beverage with reservations. My palate just did a flawless rendition of Beethoven's unreleased symphony. This beer is larrrrrrrrge!!!

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Super aggressive and super fun.
start off with this beast, splitting it up with friends, will help get the party started right. = enter BEAST MODE 120
suggest you don't drink more then 1 and go with a session-able beer after this

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Acknowledging this was a 9-month old bottle, so perhaps the more identifiable hop notes had disappeared by now, but otherwise I'm hard pressed to conceive how this can be called an IPA. Incredibly sweet, overwhelmingly so, the sweetness cut simply by the warming booze. Perhaps as it warmed some acidic hop notes emerge, but they're quiet at best and do nothing to stem the tide of sickeningly sweet malt and booze. I applaud the novelty of it all and the effort to experiment/expand our notion of beer...but this just falls incredibly flat.

4.95/5  rDev +25%

Nectar of the Gods. The reason I gave it a 4.75 overall is because I have to drive to the East Coast to get it. I live in KC. Worth every penny though.

4.74/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally decided that because I got hired for a new job, I had to open my 120 that was bottled in September 2014. It's the first time I'm having one and I couldn't wait any longer.

A: Hazy, dark orange/brown. I'm unable to physically see my fingers through the glass.

S: I was surprised here. I was expecting a harsh west coast smell, but it's actually much more malty, with a subtle smell of hops, and alcohol on the back.

T: Starts off almost like a white wine, with a malty back, and then a slight bitter hops, before the booze hits on the back. Not at all like any beer I've had, and it almost pushes a wine/liquor drink. It has a roasty oak flavor that is something special as well. As it warms a more grapefruit note comes through as the malt takes a back seat.

F: Not the thickest beers I've drank, but it has some body. It actually is quite smooth, and carbonated well. I've had a 16% before, and this one is 100x easier to drink than the 16% I had.

O: As I find myself getting boozed up off of one beer, I can't help but be amazed at what I'm drinking. It's an experience like no other, and just because it's a 120 min IPA, don't expect it to be a hop bomb. It's very complex, and is something everyone needs to be willing to throw the money at and try.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Revisited this last night, pours hazey orange, stinks up the room, boozy stank, tastes like caramel and fruit liquor, maybe some old coffee in there?, friggin hot beer, syrup on the mouth as it warms up, i like drinking one once a year.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: nice unfiltered orange/caramel color, very little head to speak of.

Smell: lots of hops, and enough alcohol burn to singe my nostrils! (exaggerating of course)

Taste: mango/pear sweetness interlaced with bitter hops. Alcohol burn really sets in at the end.

Feel: Very well carbonated despite the lack of head. Lots of body, but again the alcohol burn distracts.

Overall: if not for the major burn, this is a perfect sweet big beer. A personal favorite of mine regardless, love to have one of these every year.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had one fresh bottled and one aged for a year. The dried fruit flavor of the fresh bottle was very prevalent. Much more rounded caramel flavor in the aged bottle. No difference in color between the two.

4.98/5  rDev +25.8%

A - Pours a dark golden Amber honey and orange. Forms a finger of quickly dissipating yellow-tan head.
S - Sweet hops, oranges, peaches, grapefruit, mango, bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, caramel and tons of alcohol on the nose of this brew.
T - Tons of sweet alcohol and peach upfront, this fades into a chest-warming bourbon, caramel, vanilla and brown sugar. Tons of alcohol.
O - A one of a kind IPA. This is both a drink and a life experience. And should only be tried by those who are IPA veterans. Nothing else like it in the world.
V - Very expensive, almost 10 dollars for a single bottle.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

Brilliant. Caramel corn nose and initial taste. With a year or two on it this is a beautifully chewy barleywine-esque beer. Huge butter and toffee nose with a smooth and bitter finish. Outstanding.

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 09/17/14. I drink few IPAs so I am by no means an expert, but this is an EXCELLENT beer. I really enjoy this one. Hoppiness is not overbearing, but it let's you know it is there. Quite a bit of heat on this one though. Fruity aromas, lemon, orange. These can be detected in the taste as well. I would buy this all the time if it wasn't so expensive, but I'll enjoy this one and the other one I have left.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Aged since July 2013.

Delicious. Very hot alcoholic finish even still.
Very sweet but well balanced. Dark fruit flavors. Raisins. Dark chocolate. Apricot kinda.

Very delicious and worth the wait.

4.51/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

8oz pour into a snifter. It's a boozy IPA in the vein of Founders' Devil Dancer. A ton of smooth alcohol with heat and hops, but not the slap-you-in-the-face hops a lot of IPA's strive for (and I distaste). Delicious.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

My first one of these; not at all what I was expecting as "the HOLY GRAIL for hopheads." A sweet malty booze bomb that I sipped on and contemplated for about 40 mins while Mingus tunes bounced in the background.

Not a ton of hops going on at all actually. Some mention barleywine and I agree but this beer really is in a class of it's own.

A unique sipper that caught me off guard and left me feeling toasty. Dig.

4.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aged a 2013 120 minute and opened it on NYE going into 2015. Wow

I've been to DFH twice but have never had the good fortune of trying this. So my friend who lives in DE brought this to me.

It poured an extremely rich orange almost copper. Lacing was very light but maybe that was due to the aging.

Taste was very sweet. Sweeter than I was expecting. Not sweet like a dessert but sweet like aged malt meets an orange flavor meets molasses. Interesting. But wow does that alcohol hit you in the face. Gave my stomach a warm feeling like having a sip of a spirit.

Kind of felt like this bordered on barleywine. Thoroughly enjoyed it

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It's a deep and cloudy copper-orange. I get a big frothy-white head out of this puppy, which is awesome considering the alcohol content.

The nose is pure-sweet-big-malt. Like a barleywine with the candied fruits. Sherry, raisin, prune, caramel, boozy and fruity and sweet. It's a fortified wine or liqueur from this nose, for sure.

First sip.. sweet... an orange liqueur is not far from it, but it's obviously hopped. What and interesting beer. Almost cloying but it's warranted!? I don't know.Can't quite place it. It's maybe the most intense version of an American Barleywine you can find. Hoppy and boozy and sweet, yet somehow it makes it work. For whatever ABV my version is, it is not as obvious as I have noticed with other double digit beers. Definitely more balanced and hidden than Molotov Cocktail. It's surprisingly smooth, but the sweetness keeps it a sipper. I don't know if it's possible, but even more hops could be expressed in this malt backbone if they wanted, because there is a COLOSSAL dosage of sweetness and alcohol. IPA this is not. BA needs a new style that is neither American Barleywine nor Imperial IPA. Evil Twin, Knee Deep and DFH have offerings into this unique style.

If you ever find yourself staring across from this beer... no matter the price point, it is something you must try as a beer nerd. Nuff Said.

4.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2008 Bottle opened on 12/23/14

6 years were magic for this gem.

Not very pretty on the pour. Very dark ruby color with a white head and a murky body. The smell was impressive. Incredibly sweet candied raisins, plum, molasses, and no hop presence to be found. The flavor is incredibly sweet but it balances out the high alcohol content. This is full barleywine territory in flavor. Despite the sweetness, the flavor is an impressive version of the nose. Very full bodied, cloyingly sweet, mild alcohol burn, and virtually non-existent carbonation.

Having never had this before and my first bottle being a '08 vintage, I'm truly impressed with how this held up. I would love to try this beast fresh but age works magic on this monster of a beer.

3.89/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Let my start by saying if you're looking for a standard IPA don't bother with this. This is much more than an ipa. Its more of very hoppy American barleywine.

Review of Feb. 2013 120 Minute IPA, 18% abv, consumed fresh (within 3 weeks of bottling).
A: Golden Orange with thin head, Simple bottle with cool bottle cap.
S: Good complex aroma: Sweet malty followed by citris hops and ending with alcohol.
T: Beginning: Sweet malty that coast the mouth, middle citris fresh hops w/ maly fruity sweetness & some bitter hops, ends with earthy aromas & in alcohol. Opens up as it warms but the alcohol presence also increases with the warmth.
M: Full bodied syrypy & sticky but not too thick & not filling, warming but not harsh, perfect low carbination for sipping
O: Somewhat complex, aromatic, good balanced malts sweetness followed by hops bitters. Great to sip with a friend. Don't over chill this. Sweetness does overpower the hops, making it a sipping brew. I'd like to see a barrel aged version of this for more complexity. Laying some of this down to see how it ages.

Update: Tried of the 2013 at 1 1/2 years. Carbonation is about the same as before. The dry hops and aromatic hops have faded to almost nothing as expected - unfortunately this what makes this more than a barleywine. The bitterness is there but lessened. The alcohol has mellowed. Unfortunately the malts have changed very little and without the hop aroma its a fairly uninteresting ale.

I'll try another in 1 year to see how this develops. At 18% this could easily age for another decade. I've consumed a 4 year old DFH ale (not 120) that had no signs of oxidation or reduced carbonation so I trust this brewery.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

This was missing a component for me. I feel like it could have used more carbonation or something.

Very easy to drink being at 18%. I think it only took me 40min to finish it. When I look at Bourbon County, that takes me 2 hours. So this gets an A for that.

Hope my 2nd bottle is better...Let you know in 5 years!

Poured 12 oz into a std pint glass. Clear pale gold with nice head. Great lacing. Aroma is a bit understated. Huge full malty mouthfeel. Not real sure how to rate an 18% beer but this is awesome. Sip it like a fine (yet malty) wine.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery