120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,108 | Hads: 7,373
4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz into a snifter, about 6mths in the cellar 2014 edition.

L- semi aggressive pour with a nice white 1inch head, reddish orange, appealing.

S- I can smell the malts right off the bat. Not sure what to expect next since this is high ABV, Slight barleywine characteristics, but not hiding the big DIPA that this is.

T- getting malts and hop bitterness nicely blended. Not a juicy hop bomb that the IBU's would indicate, certainly faded with age in comparison to an un-aged prior sample. Mildly resinous on the back fade.

F - The high alcohol is evident but not with any unexpected bite. Reasonably smooth for such a big brew.

O-really impressed with the age impression on this brew. I'd age a little less for more of the hop character to shine through. The age has certainly transformed this beer into a beer that transcends the normal expectations for a DIPA. Somewhere between a 4.0 and 4.25 overall. Cheers. (916 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a cognac snifter. It looks hazy orange and its completely opaque.

It smells like nail polish remover that has been seasoned with off hops. It is just terrible. It smells like the orange Old English Wood Soap that I use to mop my floors. This could make paint fall off a shed.

The taste is like some terrible new hop-flavored black rum. I am used to my hop bombs being hop forward, and malts secondary. This is the opposite where the sweetness is front and center and the hops are fighting with it. There is nothing good about the taste of this beer. It tastes like if Admiral Nelson made a port or the type of liquor you use in baking.

The mouthfeel adds to the already less than ideal characteristics, making this beer one of my all time least favorites. I would sooner drink Natural Ice than drink this.

This beer is ambitious and that is all it is. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and I am really glad they are in Bloomington and Indiana on the whole, but this beer frankly is just awful with no redeeming characteristics. I ended up drain pouring it. I have had enough beers like Founders Devil Dancer that I can appreciate an ambitious attempt at making a one-of-a-kind beer, however, this beer is just too much. There is fine line between a pleasant beer, which rather than attacking the palate attempts to work with it, and a beer that fights your palate every step of the way. I wouldn't recommend this beer to my worst enemy. (1,476 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%

I've really wanted to try this beer for a long time but thought that I would have to travel out of Indiana to get some but little did I know that last week my liquor store in Brownsburg got a few cases! At $10 a pop I only got 2 but I was excited.

A - Deep orange color. Pours thick! Totally opaque from all the hops and malt packed into this beer. Light white head with light lacing.

S - Very strong malt character with lots of alcohol and some raw citrus-type hops. Not any where near the hop smell that I expected. Smells more like a strong barley wine with the malty backbone forcing most of the aromatics.

T - The first sip there are lots of flavors but mostly the rich malt character holds true, then the alcohol "flavor" more than just heat and then the hop resins come with some flavor but mostly just bitterness. The bitterness seems to mask the late addition hops making it feel more like a hop bomb instead of showcasing individual hop flavors. It feels like the alcohol burn sticks to the back of your mouth from the beer's thickness and the hops you can't just exhale the booziness.

M - Super high mouth-feel with lighter carbonation. The thickest IIPA I could ever had even dreamed of; it's basically a 20% American Barley Wine with less of the caramel tones and color.

Overall, a different DIPA experience and not my favorite. I still think that the best way to describe this beer is a super-charged Barley Wine. The alcohol heat burns the hops into your throat. I was disappointed by this beer especially when comparing this to the amazing 90-Minute IPA from DFH which is has tons of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness along with the malt and alcohol but this is the complete opposite. I love hops, bitterness, and straight booze but I think the thickness along with the alcohol burn killed it for me. I will try my other one after a couple other beers to really put me down and hopefully after a few beers the burn won't be so devastating.

Glass- Snifter (1,977 characters)

I'm really not sure how to rate this within the parameters of the style. It's such a big beer the body and high alcohol drown out the hops somewhat. I'd give it a higher score if I could taste more hops than alcohol but it's just so boozy. It's a good beer and very interesting, not a great IIPA. (296 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Another WIN for DFH!!! This one will make your head spin if you drink too many!!! High alcohol content but it is off the charts delicious!!! Go get it and try it, you will NOT be disappointed!!!! (198 characters)

Deliciously stunning and out of this world! It's a heavenly taste that becomes engrained in the palate's memory and one which it will yearn for. I enjoyed and shared this beer while watching a beautiful summer sunset. The beer's bright golden/orange color blended beautifully with the changing sky. As I said, I shared this beer and even half of it got me quite buzzed. This is because the alcohol content is so strong; if you are looking for a beautiful high this is the beer for you. The hops aroma and taste is intense yet it achieves for me a perfect balance with delicious syrupy and caramel like malt sweetness. One of the few beers I can give a 5 to. Quite possibly perfect. We're it not so expensive ($10+ per bottle) my fridge would be stacked with these beauties! (773 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

This was pitched to me as the holy grail of American IPAs. And, you know, it was good but the 18% ABV is a little unnecessary and influences the taste. The beernerd orgasms over the 120 minute didn't connect with me. Maybe it was just too much hype. (249 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Bought and opened same day, poured at fridge temp and allowed to warm up a bit.

A: Gold-orange. Slightly hazy with a sticky head leaving lace all the way down the wall. Really attractive colors coming through

S: Hops and more Hops, nearly overpowering. Some tropical fruits on the nose, as well as something not so sweet. Onion? More wafts bring sweet caramel.

T: Oh my god the sugars, its so sweet! like liquid candy, caramel and bread mixed. The word "cloying" comes to mind but NOT in a bad way. Definitely a sipper. Then the hops, they assault the senses and make you wrinkle your nose, again, NOT in a bad way. As it hits the throat, alcohol makes itself known. Spicy and warm all the way down to the belly.

M: Big, Bold, and Chewy. More of a mouthful that some of the best barleywines

O: A remarkable beer, and fantastic experience. I have two more aging for future enjoyment. (890 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

My problem with DFH 120 is that it's presented as an IPA and it's VERY different from what I was expecting based on that broad categorization. I consider DFH 120 a heavily hopped barley wine, and if you open your first bottle expecting that you'll be better off in my opinion.

The appearance is a nice, hazy orange - it certainly looks like a good IPA.

Smell is sharp and boozy. The hops are there, but overpowered by sweet malty smells mixed with the sharpness of alcohol.

Taste follows the nose. This is a sipper - and a very boozy sipper at that. It's tough to get past the alcohol as it overpowers most of the other flavors. Not really surprising at over 15%, but again, this drinks like a barley wine - not an IPA. There's sweetness from the malts, and definitely hoppy bitterness, but any citrus or fruity flavors take a back seat to the booze.

Mouth is sticky, syrupy, and a little thick. The carbonation is there, but overwhelmed by how sticky it is.

Overall - if you love barley wines you'll probably dig DFH 120. If you (like me) love nicely balanced, smooth, and fruity DIPAs, like Heady, Abner, Ghandi, etc.. then you'll probably be disappointed like I was.

It's possible that the bottle I tried wasn't very fresh and that resulted in less hop flavor and more booze - but from what I've heard 120 is pretty boozy regardless. I'm glad I got to knock it off my list, but I won't be seeking out 120 again. (1,420 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2011 Vintage. Poured into snifter, a honey gold amber with a razor thin off white head. Aroma upon pouring is sweet floral bouquet, honey and caramel malt notes, some brown sugar. Taste same as aroma, has a nice fruity, citrus orange alcohol flavor with a mild hops bite, which has undoubtedly been mellowed by the aging. Plate is a full creamy and smooth body, with good carbonation. The finish is a combination of all the aforementioned taste and flavor, although they intensify as it warms up, the ending is sweet with some light annotations of some vanilla and earthiness and actual bitterness intensifies a bit as well. alcohol seems to be well hidden. Almost barley wine style. Overall a very good, full flavored after dinner drink. (738 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Had this on tap for the first time after many years of drinking bottles. I love this beer no matter how it's served, but I do recommend aging it for about 3 years before drinking. When it's fresh it's all hops and booze. When it's aged all sorts of different flavors emerge, the boozyness goes away and it changes color from blonde to more of an amber. It kind of tastes like bourbon when aged with a nice vanilla/raisin lingering finish. Be careful when drinking, this one will knock you flat on your ass. (507 characters)

Haven’t really cared for Dogfish Head beer. Still felt the need to try this. Hazy copper color. Very little head. Malty alcohol aroma with a mild hop smell. Tastes pretty good actually. Not really an IPA flavor though. Much more like a barley wine. Lots of alcohol burn. Feels more like drinking liquor than beer. I’m glad I have someone to share with. (356 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

You need to drink this beer knowing hat it's probably close to twice as high of an ABV as your typical imperial. Knowing that, you go into it knowing that there will be an alcohol presence in every sip. I drank this one over the course of about an hour or more and by the end as it warmed it mellowed quite a bit. I enjoyed this one for sure. (345 characters)

3.92/5  rDev 0%

2014 vintage, poured into a tulip glass

A- pours a clear amber color with a small creamy and foamy white head that eventually reduces to a small layer skimming the top, no lace left behind

S- lots of booze on the aroma, the hop aroma is there with notes of pine & citrus, but the alcohol gives a sweet aroma that mixes with malty undertones

T- taste similarities are very similar to a barleywine up front, sweet alcohol dominates up front, with notes of citrus hop and pine kicking in mid-palate, more citrus continues to the finish with more booze

M- heavy bodied with low carbonation leads to a creamy mouthfeel with a smooth and silky warming finish, lingers of alcohol

O- this is definitely a unique beer that is in a category of its own. (749 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

Traded this for a Heady Topper to a native Delawareian... Glad I did, but definitely a different character of IPA. SO,
Appearance: Poured in a Let It Be Beatles pint glass, is a beautiful heavy, golden, dusty sunset orange with half a finger width head that laces up the edge of the glass like a vine on a trellis. LOTS of gas.. This bad boy keeps on bubblin'. Was just achin' to be opened! Head is creamy vanilla.
Aroma: Fits the appearance. Malty, sweet, heavy blood orange. Not the citrus bang of a hopped out IPA, but dank, sweet, and citrusy all at once.. Like a late summer herb. Superb. Maybe papaya? Banana? Something sweet in there...
Taste: A ton to describe and every part is very smooth! Malt citrus, Hopped sweetness, Mango at peaked ripeness. Ethanol is actually hard to taste, but easy to feel. The blend is so perfect, must be the boil?
Mouthfeel: This is my favorite part. If this thing is 18% I wonder what they're up to over there. Thick but very drinkable. Soaks every portion of my mouth. Viscous, but clean! Mmm! Keeps me wanting more! They must have tapped into some precious water at Dogfish Head. I love it! Really very good. I would guzzle it haha, but I am tipps'd after half the glass... so am enjoying each sip as it's own.
Overall: I thought maybe I'd need two to really appreciate, but man right out of thebottle was love at first drink. So smooth, rich and creamy. Props to Dogfish Head. They really produce a good beer. This 120 falls right in line, and probably to the top, with their other beers. I am a fan. They have a way of filling every gap that their water allows. Excellent flavor and I am happy to have made the trade (just one!) for a heady. Highly recommend for anyone, not just IPA fanatics like me. (1,746 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

12oz bottle from trade with Brooklynbrews
Notes taken on 08/10/14 - FW Snifter glass

I believe this was a 2012 vintage – Thanks Andrew!

A: Dark caramel body with a murky brownish amber appearance. Looks thick and syrupy as the bubbles slowly escape to the top developing a short lived layer of khaki suds. Nominal amount of stick noted as its more so just some alcohol leggings.

S: Smells just like a nice American Barley wine should. Rich with caramel candy malt sweetness through and through. A little nuanced breadiness, apparent with alcohol. Lightly dusted with spice hops, crushed pine, florals, candied orange peel, and a few earthy minerals. Not bad but not what I would consider anywhere near a Double IPA.

T: The beer opens with an insulin shocking amount of caramelized malt sweetness piled on top of sweetened breads. Has an almost tangy sour caramel candy likeness and while it is definitely hoppy I find the actual bitterness to be fairly restrained. Too bad as a little sharpness could really help cut all that cloying sweetness. I get some spice hops with dried orange peel, florals, and suppressed pines. Not very resinous for that matter. Alcohol is present and warming but very subdued considering. Just way too rich overall and not in a good way. Not exactly terrible as there are some kudos due for handling such a monster brew this well but this is just not made to my liking whatsoever.

M: Thick and full bodied. Lightly syrupy on the tongue as the carbonation struggles to pop. Somewhat sticky feel but rather clean otherwise with low bitterness and no lingering effects. Warming alcohol upon exhalation.

D: Such a weird beer to produce and then call an IPA. Even coined as a Barley wine this wouldn’t be a favorite. Very low drinkability to this one. Glad to have finally tried the 120 but not something I could touch often. I am not sure if the aging has made any significant impact without comparison. (1,966 characters)

It's already been said in several reviews. This is this best beer I have ever had. It's a big beer though, so sip and enjoy. Someone said they had three. I would love to, but one is my limit then I drop down to the 90 min. Pour in a nice glass, marvel at the color and aroma. Take a sip and relish. You're probably drinking the best beer you'll ever have. (356 characters)

I was so excited when I finally got to try this brew, and my anticipation was matched only by my disappointment. I'm sorry, 120 is just...kinda...gross... (154 characters)

I had this on Tap on IPA Day at Congregation! My First 18% IPA... all i can say is wow!! Had 3 of these. It took a little to get use to but after that it was soo soo smooth! (173 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Updating notes having tasted this bottled and on draft.

A — Pours a real deep and somewhat hazy orange color in the glass. There is a copper tinted white colored head on-top of the beer, but it fades quickly and leaves behind some sticky lacing.

S — Smells super boozy and hot, though there is a large hop presence underneath it all. Super piney, citrusy, and boozy.

T — Woah hops and heat, this is super chewy and bright, lots of pine, citrus, lemon, grapefruit. Underneath it all is a quite sweet and rich malt foundation.

M — Medium-Full bodied, lots of alcohol presence here as well. Thick.

O — A great beer, I will always have it whenever I see it. It's not perfect by any means, but there is nothing else that I've had that can compare to it. (765 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled in 5/2014 (direct 3.87):
Pours a translucent orange, with a small amout of soapy bubbles that fade quickly, leaving some along the edges. A swirl does bring the carbonation to the top for a second. Little to no lacing, but some alcohol legs. I must say here, let this beer come to temp, because the head look and retention was much better when I poured the remaining 2 oz into my snifter.

The nose when the beer is still a little cold, I get a nice whiff of alcohol backed by a light caramel maltiness, with some papaya and melon, a little blackberry and/or prune, even a hint of date. I must repeat, however, that the alcohol is easily the most noticeable.

The taste does a better job of hiding the alcohol (at temp). The beer is pretty sweet, starting off like a creamsicle with orange and a surprisingly smooth feel. The alcohol burn starts to grow, and I start to get canteloupe and then some sweet dark fruit (think fig newton). If I swig the beer quickly a get a tart berry flavor that I do not get if I leave the beer on my tongue to savor it. The alcohol grows throughout the taste, leaving a nice light burning tingle on the tongue after the beer has headed down the throat.

I was hoping for more from this beer, mainly hoping the alcohol were a little more hidden, and also that the sweetness would be cut a little more at some point in the taste. There are some very interesting flavors in there, and I get different things at different times. Have one of these to age as well, wonder if a "mellowed" version of this will give me more if what I am seeking.

Review in 5/2015 of 2011 on draft:
Alcohol is still present, and does still cost the beer overall, but I'm not sure what I expected in such a high ABV. Truthfully, I look at this beer as more of a quad, without any Belgian characteristics (replaced with hops). A sit warms I appreciate it more, but stills very slow supper. (1,914 characters)

I aged this brew for 6 years and I'm drinkin it right now to celebrate my dog Kahlua's birthday (even though her bday was August 1st lol).

Pours up murky chocolate brown, no head. Nose is apricot, caramel, all the hops are gone. Taste is malty, thick bodied, subtle fruits, a lil booze heat. Low carbo.

Very interesting to see the maturation of this brew. I'll come back and write a review with a fresh bottle also. (420 characters)

What can be said about this legendary brew that has not already? Got a pour at the Dogfish Head Brewery on Milton, DA and, by god, the experience was pure indulgence! From the abundant bouquet of sweet hops, pine and flowers to the well rounded, spirit like taste and mouthful to match - truly one of the best, if not "THE BEST" beers I've ever had the privilege of tasting!

So glad I got some to bring home. (409 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Hazy orange with an off-white head.

Hoppy, bready, citric.

This is like a variant of Lagunita's Brown Shugga. I've no idea what's going on hop-wise but it's damn near overwhelming. Distinctly sugary, fruity, boozy -- all in some sort of balance. Tart and terribly complex with esters from the yeast, I think. IPAs are generally not for me but this, unlike my taste for Pliny, seems more like an intense barley wine. Hard to interpret but real tasty.

Sharp, as it should be, and more than a little hot. (505 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice glass. 2014 bottle.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange with a lot of bubbles. About one finger of off white head that slowly fades into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: An earthy, juicy, and boozy hop forward aroma with hints of citrus, grass, and caramel malt. Earthy and herbal hops with big hints of spicy pine resin and wet grass. Citrus hop hints of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, and melon. Sweet hints of brown sugar and vanilla. Big malt backing with sweet hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, grains, and yeast. Alcohol is quite noticeable. A pretty good aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a huge earthy, juicy, and boozy hop forward taste with big notes of citrus, pine, and sweet malt. Upfront earthy, herbal, and floral hops with dank and spicy notes of pine resin and grass. Juicy citrus hop notes of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, and melon. Sweet taste of brown sugar and some subtle notes of vanilla and other candied sugar. Big malt background with notes of sweet caramel, toffee, grains, biscuit, and yeast. Fairly boozy. A very good aggressive taste.

Mouthfeel: Very full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very oily, chewy, and drying. Alcohol heat is pretty noticeable but it’s not too extreme.

Overall: A very good monster of a beer. Huge aggressive bitter hops with an almost equally big sweet malt backing. It’s almost too much but it’s quite good as a sipper. (1,486 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery