120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,047
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

So sweet! Truly surprised by this one. Had on tap at the brewery and boy was I surprised. As the yeast gorge themselves on the massive amount of sugar, they are unable to process it all and are thus left with not only a high alcohol content but also a powerful sweetness. But even this sweetness cannot outpace the bouquet of hops present in this extravagantly hopped beer. With an extremely high price tag, this is not one for the light of heart. If you love extreme IPAs then you will love this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%

3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

So I'll start this off by saying that I'm not a huge IPA fan, or even much of a hop-head...
Even so - The first time I ever had dogfish head 60 minute was on tap, and the fresh flavor of the hops blending together so perfectly was mind blowing. Then I had the 90 minute on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings, and decided to buy more at my local beer shop. When I heard that there was a 120 minute, I knew I had to have it... I managed to find a 4 pack recently at one of the beer stores around here - I wasn't sure I could justify $40 for a 4 pack, but I decided to make it a happy birthday present to myself. I have high hopes that by the end of this review, I'll have no regrets.
Let's get started, shall we?

Serving Type - Bottle. Poured into a Samuel Adams Wide-mouth Pint Glass

A - It's a hazy golden-yellow with about a half-finger straw-white head that dissipates in around a minute or so. (Even a hopping of this magnitude can't help the head retention in an 18% brew) Slightly disappointing look to it - I expected it to be a little darker, and much clearer.

S - Upon first opening the bottle, you are immediately hit by a massive dose of pine and grapefruit flavors... Very mouthwatering - as it warms a bit, more of a fresh fruit scent comes forward, hinting at berries and possibly even coconut?

T - Now for the big one... Taste.
I'm sorry to say that it's completely underwhelming in this department... After the 60 minute, and the 90 minute, and my love of big, heavy, high alcohol beers- This just doesn't live up to expectations. There's a little bit of hop upon first taste, but as it makes its way through the mouth, over the tongue and down the throat, all you get is bitterness, old vegetation, copper-rust and an alcohol burn with no maltiness to back it up or attempt to cover it... Similar to their World Wide Stout, they've focused purely on ABV, and forgotten that when you're going to spend $10 on a single bottle of beer, it sure as hell better be worth savoring.

M - Much lighter than expected... It makes you wonder how much of the ABV comes from corn sugar or other adjuncts. Moderate carbonation helps the lightness of it, but perhaps they would have done well to back up the alcohol with enough residual sweetness to cover the burn?

O - Disappointing :( I wanted to like this beer, I really did - I looked for it for over a year, and was ecstatic when I finally found it, but it doesn't come anywhere close to living up to the hype... My wallet sheds a tear for my poor gut. Half a bottle down, 3 1/2 to go...

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep orange color. Pours really thick.

S: Very strong (boozy) hop-forward and citrusy.

T&M: With the first sip there are lots of citrus and tropical fruit flavors. Finishes a bit bitter. Very thick with mid-level amount of carbonation.

Overall very good. Actually tasted better than described to me by a friend. For some reason drinking this reminds me of the Simpsons when Bart and Milhouse drank that super-squishee (Milhouse takes the first sip and his glasses fly off).

4.04/5  rDev -1.5%