120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,144 | Hads: 7,514
4.74/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally decided that because I got hired for a new job, I had to open my 120 that was bottled in September 2014. It's the first time I'm having one and I couldn't wait any longer.

A: Hazy, dark orange/brown. I'm unable to physically see my fingers through the glass.

S: I was surprised here. I was expecting a harsh west coast smell, but it's actually much more malty, with a subtle smell of hops, and alcohol on the back.

T: Starts off almost like a white wine, with a malty back, and then a slight bitter hops, before the booze hits on the back. Not at all like any beer I've had, and it almost pushes a wine/liquor drink. It has a roasty oak flavor that is something special as well. As it warms a more grapefruit note comes through as the malt takes a back seat.

F: Not the thickest beers I've drank, but it has some body. It actually is quite smooth, and carbonated well. I've had a 16% before, and this one is 100x easier to drink than the 16% I had.

O: As I find myself getting boozed up off of one beer, I can't help but be amazed at what I'm drinking. It's an experience like no other, and just because it's a 120 min IPA, don't expect it to be a hop bomb. It's very complex, and is something everyone needs to be willing to throw the money at and try.

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Revisited this last night, pours hazey orange, stinks up the room, boozy stank, tastes like caramel and fruit liquor, maybe some old coffee in there?, friggin hot beer, syrup on the mouth as it warms up, i like drinking one once a year.

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: nice unfiltered orange/caramel color, very little head to speak of.

Smell: lots of hops, and enough alcohol burn to singe my nostrils! (exaggerating of course)

Taste: mango/pear sweetness interlaced with bitter hops. Alcohol burn really sets in at the end.

Feel: Very well carbonated despite the lack of head. Lots of body, but again the alcohol burn distracts.

Overall: if not for the major burn, this is a perfect sweet big beer. A personal favorite of mine regardless, love to have one of these every year.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had one fresh bottled and one aged for a year. The dried fruit flavor of the fresh bottle was very prevalent. Much more rounded caramel flavor in the aged bottle. No difference in color between the two.

4.98/5  rDev +26.1%

A - Pours a dark golden Amber honey and orange. Forms a finger of quickly dissipating yellow-tan head.
S - Sweet hops, oranges, peaches, grapefruit, mango, bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, caramel and tons of alcohol on the nose of this brew.
T - Tons of sweet alcohol and peach upfront, this fades into a chest-warming bourbon, caramel, vanilla and brown sugar. Tons of alcohol.
O - A one of a kind IPA. This is both a drink and a life experience. And should only be tried by those who are IPA veterans. Nothing else like it in the world.
V - Very expensive, almost 10 dollars for a single bottle.

4.52/5  rDev +14.4%

Brilliant. Caramel corn nose and initial taste. With a year or two on it this is a beautifully chewy barleywine-esque beer. Huge butter and toffee nose with a smooth and bitter finish. Outstanding.

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 09/17/14. I drink few IPAs so I am by no means an expert, but this is an EXCELLENT beer. I really enjoy this one. Hoppiness is not overbearing, but it let's you know it is there. Quite a bit of heat on this one though. Fruity aromas, lemon, orange. These can be detected in the taste as well. I would buy this all the time if it wasn't so expensive, but I'll enjoy this one and the other one I have left.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Aged since July 2013.

Delicious. Very hot alcoholic finish even still.
Very sweet but well balanced. Dark fruit flavors. Raisins. Dark chocolate. Apricot kinda.

Very delicious and worth the wait.

4.51/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

8oz pour into a snifter. It's a boozy IPA in the vein of Founders' Devil Dancer. A ton of smooth alcohol with heat and hops, but not the slap-you-in-the-face hops a lot of IPA's strive for (and I distaste). Delicious.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

My first one of these; not at all what I was expecting as "the HOLY GRAIL for hopheads." A sweet malty booze bomb that I sipped on and contemplated for about 40 mins while Mingus tunes bounced in the background.

Not a ton of hops going on at all actually. Some mention barleywine and I agree but this beer really is in a class of it's own.

A unique sipper that caught me off guard and left me feeling toasty. Dig.

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aged a 2013 120 minute and opened it on NYE going into 2015. Wow

I've been to DFH twice but have never had the good fortune of trying this. So my friend who lives in DE brought this to me.

It poured an extremely rich orange almost copper. Lacing was very light but maybe that was due to the aging.

Taste was very sweet. Sweeter than I was expecting. Not sweet like a dessert but sweet like aged malt meets an orange flavor meets molasses. Interesting. But wow does that alcohol hit you in the face. Gave my stomach a warm feeling like having a sip of a spirit.

Kind of felt like this bordered on barleywine. Thoroughly enjoyed it

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It's a deep and cloudy copper-orange. I get a big frothy-white head out of this puppy, which is awesome considering the alcohol content.

The nose is pure-sweet-big-malt. Like a barleywine with the candied fruits. Sherry, raisin, prune, caramel, boozy and fruity and sweet. It's a fortified wine or liqueur from this nose, for sure.

First sip.. sweet... an orange liqueur is not far from it, but it's obviously hopped. What and interesting beer. Almost cloying but it's warranted!? I don't know.Can't quite place it. It's maybe the most intense version of an American Barleywine you can find. Hoppy and boozy and sweet, yet somehow it makes it work. For whatever ABV my version is, it is not as obvious as I have noticed with other double digit beers. Definitely more balanced and hidden than Molotov Cocktail. It's surprisingly smooth, but the sweetness keeps it a sipper. I don't know if it's possible, but even more hops could be expressed in this malt backbone if they wanted, because there is a COLOSSAL dosage of sweetness and alcohol. IPA this is not. BA needs a new style that is neither American Barleywine nor Imperial IPA. Evil Twin, Knee Deep and DFH have offerings into this unique style.

If you ever find yourself staring across from this beer... no matter the price point, it is something you must try as a beer nerd. Nuff Said.

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2008 Bottle opened on 12/23/14

6 years were magic for this gem.

Not very pretty on the pour. Very dark ruby color with a white head and a murky body. The smell was impressive. Incredibly sweet candied raisins, plum, molasses, and no hop presence to be found. The flavor is incredibly sweet but it balances out the high alcohol content. This is full barleywine territory in flavor. Despite the sweetness, the flavor is an impressive version of the nose. Very full bodied, cloyingly sweet, mild alcohol burn, and virtually non-existent carbonation.

Having never had this before and my first bottle being a '08 vintage, I'm truly impressed with how this held up. I would love to try this beast fresh but age works magic on this monster of a beer.

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Let my start by saying if you're looking for a standard IPA don't bother with this. This is much more than an ipa. Its more of very hoppy American barleywine.

Review of Feb. 2013 120 Minute IPA, 18% abv, consumed fresh (within 3 weeks of bottling).
A: Golden Orange with thin head, Simple bottle with cool bottle cap.
S: Good complex aroma: Sweet malty followed by citris hops and ending with alcohol.
T: Beginning: Sweet malty that coast the mouth, middle citris fresh hops w/ maly fruity sweetness & some bitter hops, ends with earthy aromas & in alcohol. Opens up as it warms but the alcohol presence also increases with the warmth.
M: Full bodied syrypy & sticky but not too thick & not filling, warming but not harsh, perfect low carbination for sipping
O: Somewhat complex, aromatic, good balanced malts sweetness followed by hops bitters. Great to sip with a friend. Don't over chill this. Sweetness does overpower the hops, making it a sipping brew. I'd like to see a barrel aged version of this for more complexity. Laying some of this down to see how it ages.

Update: Tried of the 2013 at 1 1/2 years. Carbonation is about the same as before. The dry hops and aromatic hops have faded to almost nothing as expected - unfortunately this what makes this more than a barleywine. The bitterness is there but lessened. The alcohol has mellowed. Unfortunately the malts have changed very little and without the hop aroma its a fairly uninteresting ale.

I'll try another in 1 year to see how this develops. At 18% this could easily age for another decade. I've consumed a 4 year old DFH ale (not 120) that had no signs of oxidation or reduced carbonation so I trust this brewery.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

This was missing a component for me. I feel like it could have used more carbonation or something.

Very easy to drink being at 18%. I think it only took me 40min to finish it. When I look at Bourbon County, that takes me 2 hours. So this gets an A for that.

Hope my 2nd bottle is better...Let you know in 5 years!

Poured 12 oz into a std pint glass. Clear pale gold with nice head. Great lacing. Aroma is a bit understated. Huge full malty mouthfeel. Not real sure how to rate an 18% beer but this is awesome. Sip it like a fine (yet malty) wine.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

This one is excellent when on draft and fresh. It's tough to beat, IMO. Lots going on; pine, citrus, sweetness, slight booziness, oak, strong crispness and bite ... it's very complex.

I've enjoyed it from the bottle, too, but haven't tried it that way as many times as I have on draft. One of the drawbacks, IMO, is that the bottles don't have a date on them, so it's tough to tell when they were made. I'd like to be able to distinguish them. I've tried a few bottles that had some age (1-3 years?) on them, but I didn't find them to be as memorable as the excellent drafts that I've had.

One of my favorites, but not something I could drink a ton of or regularly. For me, it's a good one to have a handful of times/year. 4.25-4.5 (though if you can get it on draft, you might be inclined to give this a full 5 stars, as I recently did on Untappd).

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

I had this draft at new local pub and enjoyed this beer... even at 18% it wasn't overpowering, pretty smooth for something this strong. Very drinkable probably not as flavorful as a fresh Pliny or Sculpin, but really did like)

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Hazy gold body, medium off-white head. Fades mostly to a thin layer. No lacing.
S - Smells thick. Heavy citrus, grapefruit, I get some biscuit malt there too.
T - Holy hops! Heavy on the hops. Bitterness is overwhelming and then the malt backbone is overwhelming I imagine these both mellow with age. There is a lot going on here. Boozy burn at the end drys everything out and lingers.
M - Thick, low carb. Coats the palate and then dries out. Leaves a slight numbness.
O - This is not an everyday beer, or even every month. This is a special beer for special occasions. Treat it as such. I enjoyed this over a 2 hour period and appreciated the changes as it warms. This is a great beer, but is difficult to find and expensive when you do. For me, personally, that takes away from the beer. Definitely worth a try if you're curious. You won't find too many beers like it.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Love this beer. Especially when aged for years. Just did a side by side tasting of an 08 vs 14. Completely different beers. The 08 was a beautiful dark amber. Time had done incredible things to it.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

So sweet! Truly surprised by this one. Had on tap at the brewery and boy was I surprised. As the yeast gorge themselves on the massive amount of sugar, they are unable to process it all and are thus left with not only a high alcohol content but also a powerful sweetness. But even this sweetness cannot outpace the bouquet of hops present in this extravagantly hopped beer. With an extremely high price tag, this is not one for the light of heart. If you love extreme IPAs then you will love this beer.

3.19/5  rDev -19.2%

So I'll start this off by saying that I'm not a huge IPA fan, or even much of a hop-head...
Even so - The first time I ever had dogfish head 60 minute was on tap, and the fresh flavor of the hops blending together so perfectly was mind blowing. Then I had the 90 minute on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings, and decided to buy more at my local beer shop. When I heard that there was a 120 minute, I knew I had to have it... I managed to find a 4 pack recently at one of the beer stores around here - I wasn't sure I could justify $40 for a 4 pack, but I decided to make it a happy birthday present to myself. I have high hopes that by the end of this review, I'll have no regrets.
Let's get started, shall we?

Serving Type - Bottle. Poured into a Samuel Adams Wide-mouth Pint Glass

A - It's a hazy golden-yellow with about a half-finger straw-white head that dissipates in around a minute or so. (Even a hopping of this magnitude can't help the head retention in an 18% brew) Slightly disappointing look to it - I expected it to be a little darker, and much clearer.

S - Upon first opening the bottle, you are immediately hit by a massive dose of pine and grapefruit flavors... Very mouthwatering - as it warms a bit, more of a fresh fruit scent comes forward, hinting at berries and possibly even coconut?

T - Now for the big one... Taste.
I'm sorry to say that it's completely underwhelming in this department... After the 60 minute, and the 90 minute, and my love of big, heavy, high alcohol beers- This just doesn't live up to expectations. There's a little bit of hop upon first taste, but as it makes its way through the mouth, over the tongue and down the throat, all you get is bitterness, old vegetation, copper-rust and an alcohol burn with no maltiness to back it up or attempt to cover it... Similar to their World Wide Stout, they've focused purely on ABV, and forgotten that when you're going to spend $10 on a single bottle of beer, it sure as hell better be worth savoring.

M - Much lighter than expected... It makes you wonder how much of the ABV comes from corn sugar or other adjuncts. Moderate carbonation helps the lightness of it, but perhaps they would have done well to back up the alcohol with enough residual sweetness to cover the burn?

O - Disappointing :( I wanted to like this beer, I really did - I looked for it for over a year, and was ecstatic when I finally found it, but it doesn't come anywhere close to living up to the hype... My wallet sheds a tear for my poor gut. Half a bottle down, 3 1/2 to go...

4.64/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep orange color. Pours really thick.

S: Very strong (boozy) hop-forward and citrusy.

T&M: With the first sip there are lots of citrus and tropical fruit flavors. Finishes a bit bitter. Very thick with mid-level amount of carbonation.

Overall very good. Actually tasted better than described to me by a friend. For some reason drinking this reminds me of the Simpsons when Bart and Milhouse drank that super-squishee (Milhouse takes the first sip and his glasses fly off).

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

I know this isn't popular, but I'm not an IPA fan. That being said, this may have turned the boat around for me. Amazing flavor, bold, but smooth. It's the tippy top of an IPA, but it's a heck of a gateway Pale Ale.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

As good as billed. Beautiful orange color; piney and citrusy nose; great mouthfeel and surprisingly gentle taste despite the massive hoppiness and 18% abv. Loved it!

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery