120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,122 | Hads: 7,426
4.7/5  rDev +19.9%

Paid $8.25 for a fresh 12 oz. bottle at my favorite local beer retailer. Split 3 ways with 2 good friends. Hands down, the best beer I've ever had the priviledge of tasting.

A: Looked exactly how a strong, extremely hopped up IPA should look. Rich, golden, full of character.

S: The smell was incredible. If you love the smell of fresh hops you will love smelling this beer. Smells a lot like kind nuggets of a plant in the same family.

T: The taste is pure heaven. It's sweet & beyond hoppy. The quality and attention to detail in the brewing process really comes through with each and every sip.

M: This beer left my mouth wanting more every time I swallowed. If only it weren't so expensive, I could indulge myself in it's excellence more often.

D: A sipper. I could drink it faster if I weren't so overly concerned with making sure that I thoroughly enjoy every sip. Plus, if I drank it too fast I might not be able to get back off the couch. After drinking just 4 ounces of this beer I felt great.

If you love hops and IPAs then I highly recommend trying this beer. I know I will be trying it again pretty soon. (1,134 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
12 oz bottle
Bottled 10/06, shnockered 11/06
Medium pour in a large tulip glass.

Poured a slightly hazy copper with a large off-white creamy mostly lasting head with good lacing.

Smelt of strongly of candied pineapples, cookies, pecan pie, moderate pine.

Taste was upfront harshly sweet fruitcake, pineapple, maple syrup, brandy, followed by a strong sweet dough and gelatin with light herbs on a infinitely cloying finish. Palate was full bodied, viscous, softly carbonated, almost flat, and mouth-coating.

Overall, it was really good as a dessert beer. Lots of fun tastes and smells to discover. Sickeningly cloying and disappoint hop bitterness. The malt sweetness dominates over the taste of the hops. Alcohol , albeit present, is well covered by the sugar though.

Huge props to JesseDaniels for sharing this and not liking, thus my drinking the majority of it and getting a good alcohol rip. (942 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Served: Shared a bottle with a friend. Used small cocktail glasses due to lack of proper glassware.

Appearance: Poured slowly and produced a light head that disappeared after a while due to my slow and paced sipping. The color was bright, almost glowing and on the cloudy side.

Smell: The hop smell grabs you and pulls your nose in to it. There is a sweet candy undertone, but the hops really is the star here.

Taste: The sweet hoppy character is followed by a reminder that this is a high alcohol beer.

Mouthfeel: The thickness of this beer, not really visable to the eye, stays with you after you sip and swallow. The candy flavor gave way to a light floral feel.

Drinkability: This is a great beer, but one for special moments. The cost ($8.00 for 12 oz) may scare folks, but I have seen people pay more money for less of an experience. Again, this is a hop explosion, so if you are hop inclined, this is your type of beer (942 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

The 120 smashes the balance. The 60 comes in a 6 pack, the 90 in a 4 pack, this comes solo - all for about the same price. This beer polarizes the beer faithful: some think it went too far, others love it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's an experiment - I've heard it described as a "pixie stick hop bomb" - but I think it does what it does well. It's a thick, viscous syrup - think afterdinner drink (and at roughly 20% ABV, it's proofed like one). The aroma is afterdinner drinkish too - sweet almost plum brandy. It's sweet, it's hops-in-your-face, it's overboard - all that it's supposed to be, but also quite tasty. The version I had was from 2004, so the hops have likely mellowed out a bit. I'd love to try it fresh. (722 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +8.2%

From a 12oz bottle. Almost a murky orange color, with a 2cm frothy white head. The aroma was delightful, like a boquet of flowers with a sweet pale malt backbone, and a slight resinous tinge. I was slammed by the first sip, belly warming alcohol lets you know this is not a beer to mess around with. But then the flavors start coming through in waves, up front were strong malty flavors, raisins, plum, dates, and molassas. Then the balancing hop profile started comming through, strong floral and citrus flavors, orange, apricot, tangerine, peach, and more. In my notes I wrote "its boozy like bourbon or cogniac. It was like an IPA liquour. Silky mouthfeel. Definitely a special occasion sipper, but delicious. (712 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +19.6%

I was very excited to pop open this brew. Not only because its the strongest (in terms of ABV) brew I have ever purchased, but also because I knew it would be like molten hops pouring out the bottle....yummy!

First impression, it is a deep copper, almost amber color with a modest white head. Plenty of lacing on the glass. The smell is amazing, very hopy. No hint of alcohol in the smell at all. It tastes equally as good, very sweet, hopy, and spicy. This brew has excellent body, it feels very "full" in your mouth. I would say this is one of the most drinkable brews out there. You are assaulted with amazing smells and tastes with every sip and gulp. At only the halfway point you begin to feel the affects of the alcohol, even though I found it difficult to detect the presence of 21% in the smell or taste. Most brews that are over 10% have a heavy impact in the taste by the alcohol.

This IPA is the holy grail for the hopheads out there...highly recommend this one. It is definitely worth the premium price! Another excellent product from Dogfish Head! (....must finish this review...getting dizzy...drank too fast..but soo good...) (1,147 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle from the first batch this year.

Appearance- A strong amber with hints of anti-freeze translucence. The bubbles for this IPA are clearly slowed by the amount of alcohol mand malt sweetness visible in just the color. Some mediocre head, looks like any nromal, run-of-the-mill IPA.

Smell- Not at all like any IPA I've had before. Insanely sweet. Is there even hops in this??? Sweet caramel candied apples drizzled with Skol vodka. I thinks it's sort of cool because of the shot before you even taste the beer.

Taste- Starts with more Amaretto like swetness that quickly develops into a more malt intensity beer than hops. The flavor lets you know they added insane amounts of mlats and removed water to just boost the abv. But it is unique for its resiny sweet, toasty malts. Almost like biting into a caramel apple with two inches of caramel and only haalf of a whole apple in the center. This will be my relaxing nightcap beer.

Mouthfeel- An almost over bearing malt sweetness mixed with an alcoholic burn never felt before in any burn. These new sensations in this highly heralded IPA are very intriguing because they break the mold for any normal IPA. The bitterness is there, but only a little due to the crazy amounts of malkt. Drank like it was fine cognac. (1,304 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

I had the DFH 120 for my 50th b-day tonight (yep, I'm officially a "Geezer" now!), plus, this is my first review, having been a long time lurker.

A.- Clear, deep golden color topped with a huge head of foam that leaves plenty of lacing down the sides of my Corsendonk tulip glass.

S.- Sweet, smell of some sort of hops. Doesn't remind me of any particular variety of hops - just sweet, probably due to the vast amount of malt used to balance the hops. Cookie dough, perhaps?

T. - Sweet, almost cloyingly sweet, yet at the same time the hop bite makes itself known. The sweetness hits the tip of the tongue while the bitterness hits the back of the tongue. This beer certainly walks the knife edge between bitter and sweet. Also present is a fruity note, something similar to pineapple and apricot mixed together. Alcohol is noticeable with the first several sips and then falls into the background, maybe due to the effect of the hop bitterness.

MF.- Lucious. Silky. Coats the tongue.

D.- Honestly - how can anyone take more than one of these with such an ABV? This beer is twice as strong as the typical Belgian Strong Dark or Tripel. Almost like a whisky. It's a sipper, that's for sure!

Overall: I've had this beer laying around in storage for a good 4 or 5 months just waiting for a special occassion to try it. I'm glad I waited for my half century mark to sample this beast. Now I can say I've had the 60, 90, and 120 minute IPAs from DFH. Nice work Sam! (1,478 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a flute glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a short foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is strong with wheat alcohol, hops, honey & caramelized malt. I was expecting a bit more hops in it though.

T: The flavor is boozy, but with a 21.00% ABV, it was what I anticipated on that front. What I hadn’t anticipated was the intense syrupy, honey & brown sugar sweetness that accompanied the sting of the alcohol. There’s a little bit of hops there, but it’s simply over-powered. Knowing what the 60 & 90 Minute IPA’s are like, I definitely thought that there would be a heck of a lot more hop character in this one. The only real hops significance comes out a little bit in the after-taste as the beer warmed some.

M: Smooth for something so powerful, medium body, medium carbonation, oily & sticky finish.

O: Even though this beer isn’t filling and is very flavorful, I can’t see how this beer can’t see how it can be anything else but a sipper with such a huge ABV. However, I probably drank it a little quicker than I should have. Luckily I was plowing pretzels along with it to help with alcohol absorption. (1,223 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

I served a bottle of this beast into a wine glass. It poured a nice honey color and left a two finger head that coated the glass well, which dissipated into nice lacing.

The nose held citrusy fruit caramel, malt, spices (cinnamon maybe), and pine undertones.

Immediately I can taste the alcohol along with an oily sugarness that coats your lips. At first i tasted the hops but they seem to be less noticeable after a few drinks which is a let down. I also taste raisins and caramel. Infact it reminds me of the mexican desert "flaun" Creamy with caramel sauce and cinnamon on top.

This was a very good beer because of its uniqueness but lacked the hops I was hoping for in a true IPA The complexity was decieving, the first drink really is the best.. Also I couldnt see myself drinking more than one of these. (820 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

A 12oz bottle with nice labeling of a hops cone and a statement that says "Ages Well". I hope it was good after paying $10 a bottle at my beer shop. I poured this one into an oversized wine glass. My first use of this glass.

The beer looks absolutely amazing. A good pour gives you a huge two finger thick off white head that never quite dissappates and leaves a lot on the glass. The brew itself is golden orange on the bottom and has a deep orange halo around the edge of the glass. Beautiful coloring to the brewers!

The smell is intense! Of everything. Of alcohol, fruits, malts, and of course... HOPS!

Very sweet and oily at the begining. The orange, grapefruit, pineapple are very present in the tongue. Tastes strangely of vodka for some reason. The fruits really overpower the taste buds and there are lots of hops but you feel them going down, lots of hop burn. The fruity feel wasn't what I was expecting this style. You can really feel the booze in here. 20% is a lot. The finish is very very fruity and full of bitterness of the hops. Burns my mouth just thinking of it.

You definitely need to sip this one. It will take you at least an hour and a half to finish it and that is if you really really rush. (1,229 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%

12 fl oz brown bottle; served in a snifter.
Bottled on 03.29.06.

Slightly cloudy, glowing light copper in color. Foamy, near off-white head that slowly pushes its way to the edges of the snifter. Delicately thin lacing with good strength.

Warming alcohol-infused hop resin; hop oils practically jumping from the glass. Smooth, cognac-soaked fruity esters: peach, pear, green apple. Creamy, sweet maltiness with vanilla tones.

Big sweetness up front: vanilla, honey; that lasts into the aftertaste. Liquid hop oils; hints of pear, melon. Floral hop hints and just a touch of pine. Very warming alcohol presence that works wonders with the creamy sweetness. In terms of flavor, reminiscent of a brandy flavored with maple or vanilla. Liquid gold to my tastebuds.

Medium in body; blissfully smooth and creamy on the palate. It doesn't get smoother than this for an ale this big.

If you're expecting a gruff, American hop monster filled with pine and citrus hop flavors...you'll be in for a surprise. The 120 really cannot be defined stylistically; crossing boundaries between an Imperial IPA, American Barleywine, and Cognac. Heaven, (and a hangover), in every bottle. (1,181 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

Markings are smeared, but I can see bottled 06. Had to go to OR to get this one. Pours a golden amber, with a small head and swirls from the collision of alcohol and water, almost like looking at a tequila anejo swirling in water. Tastefully extreme bitterness, coupled with sugary syrup and noticeable but delicate alcohol. Like novocain for the tongue and hot butterscotch for the throat, and a sweet beer reduction left on the lips. Numbing hops and numbing alcohol. A note of saccharin. Side note: it would make a great beer sorbet or salad dressing, or a sweet marinade or beer demi glaze for that matter. A near-liquor concoction with chewy malts and bitter oily hops galore. A real palate-killer, so save this one for last. If you like whiskey, rum, or tequila, you'll love this one. Cheers, DFH, this was much better and well put together than it was when it first came out (the last time I had it). Score! (914 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz. bottle brewed 3/29/06.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy red hued copper color with a thin white colored head and a milky way of film in the center.
S: Heavy fruit hops with grapefruit, orange, lemon, passion fruit, and pine all are noticeable. Spicyness of the high abv is bold. Sweet wafer notes also.
T/M: Holy crap what a huge body this brew has! Big massive juicy mango, orange, and grapefruit fruityness with luscious pine notes. Extra sweet with a big spicyness that stings the taste buds and combines with a bold bitterness that hangs out. Creamy, oily, and resiny crawl across the tongue. Extra sticky with a sweet sugary residue left on the lips. It seems that as this beer warms it gets thicker and more syrupy. Not extremely bitter as I thought it was going to be. The back of my neck is getting warm---extra warming in the chest and head.
D: Ahhh, drinkable? Drinkable how? quantity?--no way. It's worth getting a hold of even at the steep price tag (~$9). 21% abv--Holy Crap! Definately a sipping beer---and only one at a time! But also a very tasty offering from DFH, not that I'm suprised. (1,111 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

My third time trying this beer, so it's time I review it.

This pours a cloudy dark yellowish-brown with very little head.

It smells of sweet malt and hops, but the sweetness comes through in the aroma...almost like a high gravity wort that you would be putting into your fermenter.

The flavor is sweet syrupy maltiness. The hops are certainly present, but the sweetness dominates.

Mouthfeel is full.

This beer is worth trying, but for the price, not more than once or twice. It is more the style of a Samiclaus than a I2PA, but not as complex or balanced as that beer. I know it's hyped, and I do like Dogfish Head beers a lot, but this beer is not for me. I am tempted to get a bottle to age for several years, but only a little tempted. (755 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a hazy honey color, with a thick foamy head. Nice lacing on glass.

Smelled very very hoppy, smelled just like fresh hops. As a homebrewer, this is a delightful smell.

Tasted at first, quite hoppy (citrus and spice especially), but was surprisingly sweet. The outragous alcohol content was nicely masked. Indeed a very big beer.

Sort of thick in the mouth, hiding the alcohol (considering its 20+%, impossible to hide, but you know what I mean).

Drinkability is a hard one. Its good enough to keep drinking, but you wouldn't want to drink too many. A 12 oz of this is like 6oz of vodka. A little goes a long ways. (631 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -64.5%

This poured a very cloudy orange color. Almost half the glass was full of foam. Careful pouring this.

Although there was a quick frenzy of smells when I first poured this beer, it subdued into almost nothing quite quickly. As I waited for the foam to settle, the smell settled down to a dull fruity musk.

The flavor will make you stop what you're doing. Even if all you're doing is drinking beer. I'm immediately reminded of "Four O", a malt liquor by La Crosse brewing that is ranked at 10% ABV. It's high dextrose content gave off a solvent and fuel like flavor. While that beer tried its best to mask that flavor, this beer fails at it. I'm still not finished drinking this beer, and I've gone off and read about 20 reviews, 3 beer style reviews, and read all my email since I started the bottle and this review. I've been making bitter beer face the whole time.

This beer is too thick, too sugary, too sweet, too strong. And here I thought I was going to be hopped to death? The hop flavor takes a back seat to the syrup flavor.

This won't stop me from buying another bottle and hiding it in the basement for a decade. After all, it does say on the side of the bottle:

"What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continually hopped over a 120-minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month. Enjoy now or age for a decade or so." (1,375 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Although I have had 120 minute several times before and I have a handful in my cellar, I am reviewing this from my last sampling of it, at the DFH brewery at about 10am during the bocce tournament. The beer poured a deep caramel, almost deep brown color with a slight offwhite head. The nose was caramelly and also a bit fruity and sweet, all the while with the high abv lurking in the nose. The taste is extreme as can be expected and pretty sweet. I felt that at times I could feel sugar swishing around in my mouth but not overpoweringly sweet like a syrupy beer. There is a nice hop bitterness amongst the sweetness and the high abv (about 18% on this version I think) really comes through and kicks you at the end...also in the middle. (740 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

** Special notes: Beer had been bottled for 6 months. Drank this bottle more on the "cold" side ~ 40 deg

I had been looking forward to trying this beer for a while and was finally able to locate a great store not too far away that carried it. I was a big fan of the 90 minute IPA, but was looking to try this more out of curiosity, than actually expecting a great taste.

I must say I was very surprised at the "drinkability" of this beer considering it's 21% abv. Prior to this, the strongest beer I have tasted was Dogfish Head's Immort Ale at 11%, which was also on the sweet side. I enjoyed it thoroughly but cannot justify giving it any higher than a 4 on the drinkability scale given that it doesn't go down "easy" compared to most beers.

I was very surprised at how sweet it tastes. Dogfish's 90 minute and 60 minute IPA have a much more typical IPA taste. I probably drank this beer at a lower temperature than intended, but it wasn't frosted by any means. I assumed I would be drinking it slowly so I gave it a little extra chill, so one can keep that in mind when reading this.

I agree with those who sense a "caramel-like" or butterscoth taste. Was very rich, and while the alcohol could be sensed, it didn't dominate the taste. I will definitely be trying this one again, perhaps at different ages. I'd like to get a hold of a few that have spent multiple years in safe storage. I'd definitely recommend it to those willing to spend $9 on a 12oz bottle. (1,477 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.9%

Wow, this isn't an IPA, Double IPA, Tripple IPA, or anysuch nonsense. Syrupy barleywine? Okay, I can deal with that.

A generic hop flavor and and aroma were present, but indistinct and battling the intense sweet butterscotch/caramel malt. Bitterness was barely perceptible against an intensely thick, almost cloying sweetness.To its credit, it was not undrinkable, but half a glass was as much as was possible to get down comfortably. This was the 2006, I can't imagine how much less hoppy this could get when aged. (519 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +11.2%

Let me start by saying I have been trying to get a hold of this beer for over a year now, it's hasn't been real common in Pensacola, FL.

Pours a lovely caramel color with a fine long lasting head. It's a beautiful thing.

The aroma of caramel is the first thing to hit your nose, kinda strange for an IPA. After that the more common smell of hops show up along with a notable alcohol scent.

The taste is not at all what I was expecting but it quite nice. A caramel flavor starts this beer out and fades to a faint hop flavor along with a slight alcohol punch in the end.

Gotta say I really enjoyed this brew, it was worth the wait and the cost. (655 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%

pours out very cloudy lemmony tea with no suds at all.
Flat beer here. I suppose the alcohol took care of the carbonation.
smells like whiskey or a strong plum wine. Lacing occours as the stuff warms up.
Mmmm, taste is like apricot brandy. Delicious, this doesn't taste like beer, but is does taste good. caramel and sugar abound, and the hops are not here!!! If you don't like IPA because of the hops, then this is your beer..
Mouthfeel is like a peice of sweet hard candy that is made with burboun. Warms you right up!
I couldn't drink more than one of these at a sitting but still, it is a pretty great beer. Dogfish Head kicks ass! (640 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +26.8%

2003 Edition, 12oz bottle. Constantly kept cold since purchasing way back when.

This sampling spurred by a roomate opening the bottle and commenting, "gee, this beer tastes funny." Split the beer with him.

Pours out golden amber and sits light garnet in the glass with a smallish white head, keeping a fair skimming and some lacings around the sides.

Amazingly fruity aroma, even after all these years. Soft, juicy grapefruits, oranges, pear with undertones of late-harvest grapes. Mild piney behavior, sugary coatings.

Tastes moderately sweet up front with sugary caramel up and down. Fruitiness dominates, all the afromentioned fruity aromas apply here as well, but in big, sugary doses. Mildly apparent alcoholic tones bring forth a bit of spiciness on the finish.

Rich, creamy and rich, rich, rich in the mouth. Soft and light carbonation and a big, full body.

Even at 21% (was the '03 that high?) this is extrodinarily and exceptionally easy to drink and boasts probably some of the best flavor arrangements I've ever come across. As far as highly suped-up IPAs go, this is on the top rung. Almost no contest. (1,132 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

after months of deliberating whether to buy this beer, I finally did it when there was only one left, I figured I had best do it while I could

A- pours an almost cloudy colored amber, low amount of white head, with great lacing

S- hop smell is present, but not as much as I would have thought, also a kind of out of place malt sweetness

T- strong hopped bite, accompanied by a lingering sweet bitterness

M-very thick, low carbonation, coats mouth and stays there for a while

d-whew, not all that easy to drink, tastes good, smells good, a fine beer, but it does not go down easy at all, took quite a while to finish, only had a 12 oz. bottle, cant imagine trying to finish one of the bombers like in the picture (726 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased June 2006 and allowed to settle and age for a few months.

Starts off looking good, even though the head is a little thick. Amber to burnt orange colour. Very vibrant, almost like some Belgians I've seen.

Smell is off for an IPA, especially a DIPA. Hoppy, but not bitter and not too hoppy. Malt presence. However, the scent I pick up most is a blend of alcohol and candy sugar with a hint of spice, almost like a tripel.

Well balanced taste. Very hoppy with definite bitterness, but this is countered but a big blast of malts. Very sweet, almost syrupy. Again, I can taste candy sugar. This is almost like a Belgian-style DIPA. Very noticeable alcohol profile.

Decent mouthfeel. Thick, maybe undercarbonated but not unpleasant. Alcohol burn is somewhat distracting.

Okay, its good, tasty and I would buy it again...maybe even age it a few years. But it is not so drinkable...you can really feel the alcohol in this one. And at 20% (my bottle is 20%, not 21%), to think you wouldn't notice the alcohol is just silly. (1,039 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery