120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,152 | Hads: 7,589
4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Translucent brown orange body, good carbonation. Light tan head with a white swirl, tiny to medium bubbles. Head collapses to a thin float leaving little lace.
Nose of spice, grapes and raisens, muskat, molasses, wet musty hayloft and a sour note. Very complex.
Sweet raisens and spice up front. Very strong molasses and toffee also with some fruit to it. The high alcohol content is nowhere to be found save for the fuzzy warm feeling it imparts. Although the malts certainly dominate the taste, there is a constant undertone of slightly spiked hops which are allowed more room in the long aftertaste.
Full heavy body with some coating and a slick sensation.
So drinkable and delicious, if the abv wasn't so high I'd indulge in this brew more often.

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

12oz bottle poured into a chalice it forms a solid eggshell white head that has decent staying power. Body is a dull copper shade with little visible carbonation.

A large amount of dark fruits and caramel come forward at the get go in the aroma. The body of this beer is much thicker than it looks in the appearance. Stick to you ribs type of beer. It doesn't surprise me that the alcohol makes up the majority of the balancer. At 21% its a big player although it doesn't completely dominate this offering but is a big complimentary addition. Slightly medicinal is a bit of a turn off. Hops come through in the bitter portion but don't have any taste value.

Notes: Interesting. On one hand I liked the over the top expirimental approach but on the other more sane hand I found it to be nothing I would purchase again under normal circumstances. Very expensive.

4.04/5  rDev +2%

Pours a light amber color with a massive bright white head that just keeps growing and growing, the lace on this beer is incredible it coats the entire glass. Gorgeous looking beer. Not too many different smells from this one, not surprisingly a huge hop scent, not a whole lot of malty smells and just a bit of grapefruit coming through. The taste is the definition of hops wow, I thought ruination was a bitter beer, this takes the cake so far. It’s also got tastes of sweetness and a very small hint of citrus. It definitely hides the 21% ABV very well. I should clarify that last sentence, the alcohol is definitely present and detectable however for 21% it's not that bad. Great beer, but very expensive, once to treat myself to every now and again

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%

I was debating what to get at the liquor store last night, and decided a 12 ounce bottle of this would make things a little bit easier. It poured a bright orange color with no real head. Smell was of juicy hops, and also a certain herb presence. If you've had Stone's 10th Anniversary Ale, there is a certain onion/garlic presence, which was also present in this beer. Taste was really sweet and juicy, almost too sweet. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, with the alcohol really making itself known. One is more then enough for me. DFH prides themselves on making high gravity beers that don't taste like hard liquor, but in this case, you really can taste the alcohol. Not a bad beer at all, but it will probably be a little while before I decide to pick it up again. Cheers.

3.02/5  rDev -23.7%

I know someone who beer-bonged this. Unfortunately, I wasn't there to witness it.
Looks an orangy/copper color with no head. Very viscous! Smell is heavy on ethanol and hops, maybe some hints of sweet fruits if you smell long enough. Taste is super syrupy sweet alcohol; warms the throat. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Interesting and unique, but not very drinkable at all.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Drove to Wisconsin to pick up this one, 12 oz bottle, poured into my St. Bernardus glass because I didn’t know what else to use, bottled on 08/09/06

A—pours orange, copper, cloudy with no head and no lacing, looks like what I expected knowing the abv

S—citrus, Belgian like, floral notes are strongest, some milder candy sweetness lingers

T—Different than I expected, not all the hoppy bitterness that I was expecting, pretty sweet actually, alcohol is everywhere, warms the throat nicely, I like it

M—thick and maybe a little syrupy, full bodied, carbonation is what I expected from the style

D—I like it, pricey, so maybe once a year will do it. I would have it again for sure.

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz bottle on Dec. 31, '06.

Pours a golden-brown color. Off-white head. Smells very sweet, malt, caramel, perhaps some berries or cherries. Very light in the mouth (lighter than you'd think). Very sweet taste, much like the aroma. Finishes smooth with relatively no hops in comparison to what I expected, or to what i feel the beer needs for balance.

Too sweet, but the alcohol is amazingly well masked. I thought it would be a chore to drink, but it's light and refreshing.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz. bottle - Xmas present from Josh

Pours a hazed orange-amber with a creamy eggshell head that thins.Thick lacing on the glass.

This beer has a boisterous aroma. Sweet caramel malt companied with layers upon layers of hops. Citrus, herbal, piney, just waves of all the usual suspects. There is also a slight booziness present, but not as much as expected for the huge ABV.

I know that this beer is both labeled as a DIPA and is placed in the DIPA style, but everything about how this beer tastes says barleywine. Sweet caramel maltiness upfront leading into waves of layered hop flavors.There is some bitterness, but not enough to offset the sweetness. Finishes sweet and malty as it started, with some lingering hop flavors. Sweetness is a touch cloying.

As big of a body as you'll find, slightly syrupy. Nicely carbonated.

Huge beer, still retains decent drinkability. Overall, a very complex beer and a nice experience. Definitely limited to a single bottle because of the ABV and the sweetness. Again, I really don't see how this is a DIPA. It more closely fits the characteristics of a barleywine, or maybe even a double barleywine considering the extreme nature of this beast.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle - 03 vintage - cellared 60-65F. Quaffed 12/06

appearance: amber with quick dissipating head

smell: sweet malt with citrus notes that disappear fast

taste: sweet backbone with more pine than citrus. Hop flavor is light. Alcohol present but enough malt left to balance.:

mouthfeel: creamy

drinkability: still an enjoyable sipper.

4.63/5  rDev +16.9%

2006 Vintage - Poured into a big snifter
I bought a case of this stuff in October of this year so I figured I would make a routine of having one every New Year's Eve. Thankfully, at 21% this beer would last longer than I will.

Appearance: Glowing reddish orange color. Small half inch head gives way to moderate lacing. Moderate effevescence-this beer is still young and lively looking.

Smell: Earthy hop smell. Faint sugar and alcohol aromas. Tangerine and other citrus aromas.

Taste: Sugary and dense, not beaming with flavor as I thought it would. This beer tastes woody and possibly as though it has spent some time in an oak barrel, although the carbonation would not indicate this. Alcohol burn is there, and is quite warming. Very satisfying finish. Like a nice single malt. As I drink on I realize that the finish of this beer is exceptional. Not overly hoppy or explosive, but warm and juicy. Take some time to appreciate this beer.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy, but not as sweet as other people have indicated. Hops are present but not cloying. I am very fond of the alcohol warmth. I've never had such a tremendous warmth from a beer. I'm surprised it came from an "Imperial" IPA.

Drinkability: I love it. I could have more than one of these in a sitting if I could afford to. Not a session beer but certainly worth trying. It would also be nice to have a few of these around if the mood strikes you to have the experience. Perhaps beer like this could find its way onto Scotch & Brandy lists in finer restaurants. I certainly think it is complex enough and could easily serve as a digestif.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

My first 120 Minute IPA, as it says on the bottle a 'Holy Grail for Hopheads'. So, I am a little excited. This would be the most recent bottling, which would be... late summer 2006?

Poured into an oversized wine glass, poured with an absolutely huge fluffy off-white head. Body is a lovely dark amber. Nice sticky lacing, more developing at every sip as the beer falls back to level.

Smell is a hop explosion of pine, of citrus, of HOPS, accompanied by a touch of sweetness.

Taste is amazing, the mouth is full of hops, each sip brings the flavor out more as it warms from cellar temperature. The alcohol is barely even noticeable, an amazing feat for a beer that clocks in at 21%. There's even a decent malty sweetness that helps carry the hop flavors through, fruity even, flavors of peach or apricot, a little caramel. This is a very well balanced DIPA, quite a feat of brewing.

Mouthfeel is nicely bodied, a tad oily and oh so warming, both to the mouth and body.

This beer is incredibly drinkable. Being a standout, incredibly ramped up DIPA this is no session beer but definitely something I could sip all evening long. Now if only we could do something about that $10 price tag.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow- mindblowing D-IPA. Poured a cloudy gold as a good IPA should, with little head and lacing effect. Slick piney hop aromatics controlled the nose- the sharp burning on the first sip was masked only by the fruity apricot- peachiness of the crazy malt profile. An uppercut of hops on the finish- smooth and biting at the same time- great brew but keep it to 1 or 2 bottles or you may not wake up.

3.33/5  rDev -15.9%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass, thanks to demcorhip for this one, I've been wanting to try it for a long time. Bottled 03/29/06.

Pours a hazey orange colour, very murky with lots of sediment. Medium carbonation from what I can tell. 1/4 inch head subsides to a lace that thinly coats the top and the glass. Nose is lovely and hoppy, citric and floral, and a funkiness I can't quite put my finger on. There's definitely a sweet toasted caramel backbone, and the Alcohol makes itself evident, but I guess it would be hard for it not to. The nose is great, but much more subtle and muted than I thought it would be.

Taste is whooo, really sweet. Wow. I was not expecting the huge sweet malt presence here, but that's what it's all about. Caramel, plum, honey, dark fruitiness, and yes, that monstrous warming alcohol all appear in great quantities. I really feel like the hops are so well balanced as to not be as detectable as in some hop monsters. Yes, there's a bitterness in the finish, and if you search really hard though all the sugariness, there's some mellow orange peel bitterness and a lovely floral character, but not nearly the bitterness I was hoping for. Mouthfeel is thick, creamy and a little syrupy, then the palate dries in the finish. Carbonation is a bit more than I'd like, but maybe it's not the carbon that's making my palate numb. Lord knows that I would not want more than one of these, and it's an all-night sipper to be sure.

Final verdict: This is an extreme beer, and as such, I can respect it for what it is. It's way to sweet for my palate, and even though I don't find the sweetness awkward or cloying, it's just too much sugar. Also, I wanted a much more brazen, out of control hop bomb, and this to me is more like a barleywine. All that said, wow, I'm buzzed, and I still have half a glass to go.

4.92/5  rDev +24.2%

Apperance is a hazy orange with a medium head that dissapates into a ring around the glass when drinking. A good amount of lace is present when drinking.

Smell is of hops with citric and pine also present. The alcohol is not as powerfull as I would have thought.

Taste is unbelievable hops all around your mouth. A citric and pine taste is very present too. Everything is so well balenced....awesome for such an extreme beer to be so well balenced.

Mouthfeel is oily and for a 21 Abv it is not overpowering with alcohol.

Drinkability is exceptional and if it wasnt for the 21Abv I could drink this beer all night. I personaly like it better than the 90 min IPA for dogfish.

3.03/5  rDev -23.5%

Straight out of the bottle I thought I was in a flowering humulus field. Talk about hop city. It even says right on the label and of course the namesake is dedicated to its hopping. This beer was exceptionally hard to get as my distributor told me that they were only delivering this one case at a time to CO.

Poured into a wine glass a rich golden color with light cloudiness and tints of green and yellow towards the bottom of the glass. Very light head retention with only a film of head left after a few minutes; no lacing. Taste is bitter beyond most, yet retains a delicate flavor of malt and hop. I was expecting a pickled mouth from the 21%, however I hardly noticed the strength due mostly in part to the overwhelming bitter and scotch taste. I was able to finish the bottle with little trouble and found a comforting buzz in a small bottle with a ton of taste.

I am not personally a huge hophead and this beer proves it. If you are however, I would say dive in. I wouldn't drink this with a meal as the meal would be completely overshadowed by it.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

This is the first time I’ve ever had citrus flavored moonshine. Immediately upon opening the bottle, I caught the overwhelming scent of alcohol. While pouring, citrus hops were present, but still muted by the alcohol. The flavor was a good mix of bitter citrus hops and malty sweetness, again, surrounded by alcohol. As I was drinkling this, my eyes actually started to water from the intnese wafting of the grain alcohol. Finish was good, but again moved to the back seat by, you guessed it..the alcohol.

This actually was not bad, especially considering it is 21% abv, but just much stronger than I normally care for in a beer. The next time I think about having a DFH 120, I’ll just move right to the Everclear instead.

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

12 oz bottle split with a friend.

Pours a frothy half finger head that diminishes, but sticks around. Beer is a hazy, deep amber color that shifts to a light brown in the heart of the glass.

You can smell this one a mile away. Strong sweet, caramel aroma. Orange, floral/flower. almost sugary sweet smell. Sturdy alcohol is in the mix.

Very sweet malt taste is the first thing noticed. Caramel again. Slight sourness and alcohol break up the sweetness somewhat, but not enough. Grapefruit hoppiness is prevalent in the aftertaste. I'm tempted to give this a 3.0 on taste, but it's definitely not average.

I like the oily, thick texture of this beer. The carbonation breaks it up well, and I was genuinely surprised by the level of carbonation. With the ABV up around 20%, I was thinking carbonation would be more like a barleywine. My 6 oz was really hard to get down as it warmed. The alcohol and sweetness is a bit too much (and I like scotch clean). Maybe I should consider style with my drinkability rating, but it truly was hard to finish off. A super slow sipper. I couldn't imagine trying to drink 12 oz of this. Definitely worth a try if you spot it.

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%

12oz bottle into wine glass.

Very cloudy amber hue with an off-white thin head that doesn't last long. Stringy lacing.

Extremely strong hops, resonating grapefruit with piney citrus scents. The hops mixed with the amount of alcohol almost burns your nostrils.

Thick and syrupy sweet malts balanced by the devastating hops. The flavor is almost like melon, but very bitter and acidic. The hops make your mouth almost pucker, and the alcohol brings an extremely dry finish. There is very little carbonation, so the feel is slick and oily.

Probably one of the most extreme beers you will find. Sip this one slowly and perhaps share the 12oz bottle with a friend. A 60 or 90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head will probably be more enjoyable, but you need to try this one just to say you did it.

3.4/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Executive Review:

Note: 2004 Vintage

Appearance: Very hazy amber pour into a chalice; I can barely see my finger on the other side. Thin head that reduces to a film. Lacing is actually not as persistent as I had anticipated.

Smell: Wow - this smells somewhat like one of those J.W. Lees numbers. Very malty, almost musty aroma. Caramel/butterscotch notes in there as well.

Taste: You know, it almost tastes like one of those Harvest Ales. This is nothing like the green, fresh 120 Minute IPA to which I'm accustomed. This is like an aged barleywine or strong ale. Quite malty - butterscotch again - with very little noticeable hop character but in the final second where the bitterness surfaces.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, sticky, sticky. I need to brush my teeth.

Drinkability: Riiight. One and done. GREAT evening sipper, however.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Bottled on 09/07/06.

Pours out a peach and orange hued honey color with a small head that settles to a thin layer of bubbles. A small, slow, single stream of bubbles comes from the center of the glass. When swirled, it leaves scattered spots of "lace." Smells of very strong and sharp hops; with aromas of pine piercing the most, as well as some citrus. Very grassy. Lots of alcohol is picked up, as well, and a general sweetness from the malt. First off in the taste is the hops: mostly citrus as opposed to all the grass and pine I got in the nose. The "greener" hop flavors come out as well, but the citrus is more pronounced. Not much bitterness at all, as this is ridiculously sweet. I get a little toastedness from the malts, but it's more just blaring sweetness. Alcohol comes through as well, but much less than I suspected. I get a slight twang in the finish, which I'm not sure about. There's a lingering vapor like presence of fruit loop-like hops in my mouth post-sip, which I like a lot. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, but, considering that, I am very surprised that the carbonation manages to slightly prick: stopping this from being a mess in the mouth. Drinkability isn't so hot, at first, but once I become more tipsy, it goes down a bit quicker.

Not a great DIPA, but this is really in a different category entirely. And for what it is, it's good, but not stellar.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

Smells like an orange and a pine tree. Some faint orange colored lacing that chases the beer deeper into the glass. Feels somewhat heavy in the mouth to me. Oily as well. Lots of yeast left in the bottle, as well in the bottom of the glass. Some critus tastes along with pine needles in addition to others that I can't describe. Each drink feels like I've just taken a sip of schnapps. This is a 21-22% ABV beer so that makes sense. Similar to drinking wine.

Honestly, I'd rather have a DFH 90 minute that isn't as high on the ABV.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer is not as good as the 90 minute version. Dont get me wrong it is a nice beer but they went a little over the top even for a hop head like me. The aroma is wonderful flowers and pine very nice. The taste unfortunatly leave the nice bitter bite of its little brother into the taste of pine resin.
If you have never had it give it a try but if you don LOVE hops it is not for you

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Wow !
I had not talked with anyone or read any reviews prior to trying this beer.
I like Imperial IPA's and was wondering why this was about $8 ber bottle.

It comes across to me as more of a Barleywine than Imperial IPA.

Served at cellar temp (60 deg F)
Pours clear golden yellow with thick white head that slowly dissapates.
You can sense the viscosity during the pour.

Smell is alcohol, crisp hops and sweet malt.

The alcohol comes thru first. I did not know what the ABV was until I pulled up the beer to review . . 21% ! ! Wow, its clearly there.
The malt is SWEET and I get a vanilla character to the taste.

The mouthfeel is thick and viscous, you can sense a huge amount of grain boiled into a sweet syrup thickness.

Drinkability - Price and availability make this a difficult beer to consider a regular, but it sure is a treat. I have another to savor for some future day.

IF I consider this a Barleywine instead of an I2PA, I have to say that I like the Immort-Ale by DFH better (especially for desert).

4.12/5  rDev +4%

A clear light orange copper blend. White head of inch and a half sunk slowly in glass. Large amount of medium sized carbonation bubbles can be seen rising to the top. Sheets of lace all the way down glass.

A strange blend of aromas. The first smell as a very fruity initial scent. A hops quality is citric. The initial smell ends with a noticable spike of alcohol. Light lemon aroma blends with malt sweetness nicely.

Super sweet malt taste finished with a burn that betrays the alcohol content to an otherwise sweet, fragrent beer. Nice hops bitter on the back of the tongue. A light fruit blend is present, and includes tangering and grapefruit.

A thicker then average body. Very nice carbonation helps the multiple flavors shift on the tongue.

A great offering int he style. Great beer to enjoy with a burger topped with pepper jack cheese. This one is not for the faint of heart. A monster alcohol taste would turn a lot of people away.

4.77/5  rDev +20.5%

This beer is good - damn good. Why start off a review as such? Because as so many have mentioned, this beer is 21%. In fact, there is a good chance you, the reader, know this. You might wonder what such a big beer tastes like, so you have come here. Well, it tastes pretty much like Dogfish Head's other IPA offerings, and there in lies the problem.

The beer has a typical deep gold/amber appearance that good IPAs have and about a finger of head that quickly falls away.

It smells very fruity and floral. Inviting very definitely.

Taste - Very sweet. I actually like it quite a bit. The malt sweetness plays well off of the hops. None of the hop character is lost as it still maintains a bite. I think the apricot description earlier was very apropos.

It has a nice, tingly mouth feel. Very crisp, not heavy, but certainly not watery. It will certainly excite your taste buds.

This beer is WAY too drinkable to be as strong as it is. If you are familiar with Stone IPA or the Dogfish Head 90, expect this to be just as drinkable. You simply have to make an effort to pace yourself.

All in all it was worth the $8 I spent on it. It is a very neat beer, well executed, and I have enjoyed it. Actually, I'm glad it doesn't cost less. If I could afford to purchase several of these I would probably hate myself tomorrow.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery