1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Reviews: 1936

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
View: Beers (137) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,229 | Reviews: 1,936 | Show All Ratings:
oggg

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

This 12oz bottle lasted 6 months in my "cellar" before I let it fulfill its destiny.

I poured this intimidating brew into a tall schooner glass with reckless abandon, and I was rewarded with a mellow orange, crystal clear brew with a short but thick hoppy head. The beer is full of hop aroma, but unlike other double IPAs, I got a strong whiff of malt and alcohol too. The aroma is hard to place -- I just know it's very different from Alpine or Stone... Not English hops. There's an element of citrus but also other flavors. The beer is terribly sweet. Cloying. There's a liqueur-like thickness and alcohol taste. The hop bitterness is medium high but I don't really get good hop burps, and it isn't puckering, probably because there's so much candy sweetness. Unfortunately, the sweetness sticks all over your mouth hours after you finisht the beer. Oh yeah, that 20% alcohol knocked the crap out of me after about half a glass. sheesh. Surprisingly, the alcohol, though apparent, was not off-putting or astringent, like it was in EKU28.

Overall: lots of hop flavor to ponder, and the alcohol is pretty fun, but it's too sweet to drink often. However, Venom's review said the 750ml was less sweet, so I'd love to share that with say 10 of my closest friends. Also, he suggested this could bear some aging; if it can attenuate the cloying sweetness, this could be one amazing beer.

07-09-2004 05:42:45 | More by oggg
jrc01003

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Without a doubt, this is the best beer I have ever had.

While I still consider a rookie when it comes to tasting craft beer, I decided to enjoy a night of Dogfish Head IPA, first sampling the 60 Minute, then trying the 90 Minute variety, and capping it off with a bottle of the 120 Minute.

It took over an hour for my buddies and me to find the package store that we suspected stocked this beer, and it was worth every second. The beer poured roughly, with very little head, but I was still impressed with its evident character in the liquid. The carbonation did nothing special, but such demonstrative beer behavior was unnecesary, since the beer is truly all about the taste.

Before even tasting the beer, I thoroughly smelled it, enjoying it through and through. When I finally brought myself to drinking it, it was literally pure bliss. The first taste was of slight wood feel; it was almost a dull variety of the 60 and 90 Minute, each which featured a strong nutmeg and wood taste. After swirling it around, the hops came straight through, and I knew I was priveleged to have had the opportunity to taste this beer. While it cost me $6.99 for a 12 oz bottle of it, it was worth every penny.

The worst part of the beer was the last sip, since I knew it meant I would have to wait to enjoy such a great beer again. This is the morning after I had my beer tasting, and I'm still drooling and yearning to taste that sweet nectar at least once more.

Buy this beer if you come across it, and drink it slowly. Best buy I have ever made.

06-30-2004 14:28:41 | More by jrc01003
cbl2

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Note: Sampled @ Shoreline Beverage Center, Meet the brewer 6-19-03 from one of the last 750 mL bottles available in the US.

Appearance:

A light brownish-yellow with extreme evervescence and mild head.
Smell:

Super sweet, like maple syrup with a hoppy bitterness present.
Taste/Mouthfeel:

Can't believe how sweet this is. Unlike any IPA imaginable. According to the brewer, this beer was a mistake (it should have resulted in a 12% ABV brew). No one knows why this beer turned out the way it did, but I'm glad this is the result. Like drinking nectar. Absolutely deliscious. Hops and malt are balanced to perfection. Alcohol @ 20% is present, but not as much as one would imagine.

Edit: Got an email from DFH on this review. Apparently the story behind the 20% alcohol content of this beer is a false one that the person who gave the talk at Shoreline likes to tell. The beer was always intended to result in a 20% ABV.

06-29-2004 18:47:03 | More by cbl2
rugger

Arkansas

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one of the best big beers I have ever had. It comes off very strong like a barley wine, but then you feel the tingle of the hops on your tounge. This beer was a nice amber and the foamy head stuck around and left a nice lace on the glass. The smell was blissful. The taste was a deep round big beer flavor with an aftertaste of firey hops. Before you know it you can feel your tongue going numb. I could definately drink these on a regular basis however I paid $8.99 for a 12oz bottle and it is not available where I live so lucky for me I won't be going broke any time soon. However the next time I am out and about and I run across this sucker I may buy the entire stock. I highly suggest and congrats to those who have had the opportunity to enjoy. This is definately for the experienced beer drinker.

06-29-2004 17:04:31 | More by rugger
inflatablechair

Idaho

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

I think I'm a beer addict. Notice I didn't say "alcoholic;" although I get the occasional urge to get drunk, my real weakness is beer. So I should know better than to log onto BA when all I have in the fridge is my roommate's Bud Light. Also, it was after 2 a.m., so I had no chance of getting any good beer here in Ohio.

I read a few reviews, and found myself craving beer. I thought ANY beer would soothe me, so I tried a Bud Light for the second time in my life. Needless to say, it did nothing for me. So I tried another one. Again, nothing. (Side note: to say Bud Light has as much flavor as seltzer water is an overstatement.) Then I remembered: I have a 12 oz bottle of DFH 120 min in my cabinet! I put it in the freezer and went back to BA.com to check out some reviews of DFH 120. I was surprised to learn that a full 2.4 oz of my bottle was pure alcohol. I hadn't known that when I bought it. I read some reviews, and grew a little apprehensive about trying it; there was a lot of fluctuation in the scores, from a 2.4 to a 5.0.

My bottle says it was brewed in 2003. It's now *early* morning on June 24, 2004.

About 30-40 minutes after putting the beer in my freezer, I took it out and poured it. Perfect temperature. A nice thick head developed. I took a few big sniffs, and it immediately reminded me of the Hitachino Nest New Year's Celebration Ale (2004). Sweet. Spices. Not very much that I could call "hoppy," although I'm still learning what hops are all about.

Taste: Again, very reminiscent of the HN Celebration Ale. Not as much ginger flavor, but sweet, almost too sweet. In a blind taste test, I would classify this as liquor, not beer, but I would be hard pressed to say what kind of liquor this is. Very unique flavor. I still don't taste what I would call "hops," but again, what I know of hops comes from Stone's Ruination IPA. Mouthfeel is that of thick liquor, like carbonated Jagermeister. Drinkability is also that of liquor; I would say 12 oz is way to much to drink in one sitting.

Overall, I would say this is a good once- or twice-a-year beer. As far as IPAs go, I prefer DFH's 60 minute offering. For a strong IPA, I'd say Stone's Ruination is as good as it gets. This just isn't a pale ale.

06-24-2004 10:43:08 | More by inflatablechair
99bottles

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

2003 bottle, 750 mL. I couldn't wait the decade they say it can age for.

Appearance: This beer pours a deep amber body with a foamy yellow/off white head that clumps and fades to a thin lace. The lace sticks in rings as the beer is consumed.

Smell: Rich hops and malt, lightly bitter hop oils.

Taste: Thick, sugary maple syrup feel balanced with huge leafy hops that poke through and dance on the tongue. There is a good tingle of hops in the aftertaste, but it is subdued. If you're expecting a hop-monster, you will be let down. This is instead a wonderfully rich and filling beer, that pushes the envelope in terms of ABV and craftsmanship. The balance between the rich carmel malt, the extra sugar and the bitterness imparted by the hops is something exceptionally done. Light citric esters pull through and are rolled in sugar, keeping the pucker down. I haven't had the 12 ounce version, but in the big bottle, even after only a year, the sweetness doesn't override the entire flavor, instead it helps it along.

Mouthfeel: Decadently rich and thick. Almost like drinking maple syrup, though some small carbonation gives a breath of life to this belly-filler.

Drinkability: I actaully put away the entire bottle in one night. The alcohol is very well masked, and it will sneak up on you. But, I don't really see this as drinkable on a large scale. This is the antithesis of a "session beer", but it's worth it to at least say you've tried it. Very good overall.

You'd think they could learn to stick the label on better though (every bottle I've ever seen has this strange rumply label).

06-02-2004 21:40:09 | More by 99bottles
Bighuge

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer's got a nice clear flaming copper appearance. A slight beige head recedes to a thin collar quickly. Lace is sporadic, but pleasant enough. Really nice citric orange peel aroma. Good hop nose. Not overwhelming. Nice little sweet malt accent on the nose as well. The flavor profile has such a nice balance of sweet malt, bitter hop resin and spicy alcohol. None of those characteristics comes through in an overwhelming way. The drinkability is beyond belief for 20%. DFH does it again in this respect. The sweet qualities are really appealing in the context of this IIPA. I just want to keep sipping, drinking, gulping, etc.... The lingering aftertaste has a little alcohol sting. Hops add some bitterness and pine sap/ hop resin tones. The carbonation seems just right....not too high at all. The body is close to full. Wow. This is better than I expected.

Give me a quarter barrel of this and I'd be set...for about a week.

05-27-2004 04:31:18 | More by Bighuge
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%

Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA

This beer billed as an IPA is but a shallow IPA. It seems to me as if DFH put all their effort into creating a beer with 20% ABV rather than the IPA art. The IPA parts seemed as if it was just a vehicle for transporting the 20% ABV.

The beer poured with a dark amber color.
A short frothy head appeared only to collapse back from whence it came a few minutes later.

The nose was a scant hoppy, malty wisp.

The flavor was surprisingly non alcohol centered. But still considering that the bottle label said “IPA”- it’s but a scant IPA. There bittering units of Hops were there, commingled in a deadly embrace of a strong note of sweet malt. Some notes of caramel and other sweet related permutations of malt were there, but considering the IPA paradigm, the flavors seemed out of place.

The alcohol was not center stage, but none the less could not be ignored, especially 10 minutes after half the bottle went down my gullet.

Finally, I have to consider the 10 bucks a bottle.

Was lots of fun to try to satiate my curiosity, but will this brew become a regular in my cellar or my tasting cabinet? Not likely.

05-27-2004 00:37:21 | More by gueuzeonhigh
mzwolinski

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12 oz. bottle, sampled fresh, May 2004

I was pretty excited to see this in the store, way out here in Cali. So I bought a couple bottles: one for now, and one for, as the bottle says, "a decade or so" from now.

Pours a clear copper in color, with almost no head at all and slooow moving carbonation. Not much surprise given the 20% ABV.

Aroma is (surprise again!) hoppy, and very sweet, with a spicy warm alcohol glow.

Mouthfeel is syrupy thick, and the flavor is cloyingly sweet. Hop resin is sticky, dripping, oozes down the throat like a hop-infused honey. Hints of grape and a huge, spicy alcohol finish.

Interesting? I guess. Drinkable? Not in the least. Bigger ain't always better, I guess. Goes down like a hop port, and that, even in the opinion of this humble hophead, is not a good thing. We'll she how she develops over the next couple years.

05-25-2004 05:25:37 | More by mzwolinski
JackTheRipper

4.63/5  rDev +14%

A: Slightly cloudy yellow color, thin little sticky head.

S: Unreal. The hop overload I was expecting never arrived, rather this one has a huge load of hops that are more floral than sharply grapefruit. There are strong fruity smells, very complex, I have no idea how they did it.

T: Sweet Mother, this is tasty! There's an overriding fruity hop taste that's not as bitter as I thought it would be, rather this is a beer that I can enjoy the flavors of the hops without thinking I'm sucking on a grapefruit.

M: Strong alcohol character. Big and full bodied with a syrupy mouth coating that carries the flavors of this one to all parts of the mouth.

D&N: Insanely good beer that only gets a four because it's got so damned much alcohol in it. One or two of these, though, are supremely drinkable. Huzzah!

05-17-2004 02:14:07 | More by JackTheRipper
drjones633

New Hampshire

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

This Beer gets hops added every minute for 120 minutes, while the wort is boiling. It results in a very hoppy tastng beer. This beer I had fresh at the Beer Advocate Art of Beer Fest. It has a nice amber/golden color. with a creamy yellow head. Most notable is the sweetness of this beer, which is something like drinking an IPA plus 3TBSP of sugar. Its very hoppy!!! I wouldn't recomend drinking too much, because the richness makes it hard to finish. But every Hop-head should try this one once if nothing more just to say you had it.

05-13-2004 18:33:45 | More by drjones633
chugamugofsud

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a gorgeous golden/amber color and is visibly thick (thanks to the two hour hopping process mentioned in the name)with some large white yeast formations on the top of the glass. The beer smells pretty good, very hoppy like one would expect from this type of beer. The taste is overbearing. The alcohol taste is very strong and the hop taste is equally overpowering. I'm a fan of IPA's but this beer is simply too much for me. It coats the inside of your mouth and even burns with biterness. It took me an hour to drink the beer. Only recommended for extreme hop-heads.

05-12-2004 22:15:35 | More by chugamugofsud
PartyHatjo

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Alright...listed as Imperial/Double IPA, but I would call this a barleywine because of the 20% ABV. I sampled this in a glass chalice

Appearance: Deep copper color with a thin white head that doesn't last at all

Smell: Huge malt aroma with a heavy alcohol background. Hoppiness is masked in the aroma, but there are hints of pine and orange/grapefruit

Taste: Wow!!! I tend to not like the hugely alcoholic beers (and this one definitely has a lot of alcohol...second most alcohol in a beer I've had--after WWS from 2002). The alcohol is present, but it blends exceptionally well with the malts and hops. Hoppiness is much more apparent in the palate than the nose. The bitterness takes a bit of the bite off the intense sweetness one gets from all the malts in this brew. Citrus is definitely prevalent, with maybe orange being a better description than the typical grapefruit one gets from certain hops--this could be caused by the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Very very smooth and thick--heavy, heavy body. I wouldn't call it syrupy, because the amount of carbonation present balances syrupiness better than in some other high malt/high alcohol beers I've had.

Drinkability: I was definitely feeling it halfway through the session. It is much more drinkable than WWS or Sam's Triple Bock (the two beers of comparable alcohol content). I wouldn't grab another one, but I didn't have any trouble finishing the beer.

05-10-2004 18:30:02 | More by PartyHatjo
garthwaite

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Randallized version...
Dull copper color with monstrous floral hop aroma. Hop oils evident in the mouth along with hints of pine sap, fruit, & some extra corn syrup-like flavor. High alcohol is masked well by the huge hops & the sweet fruit, but Randal may have helped with this. Mouthfeel is oily & finish is warming. Very good in small quantities.

05-06-2004 02:10:55 | More by garthwaite
Boilermaker88

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

A few weeks ago I was searching through the shelves and assorted cases scattered on the floor of one of my favorite local beer stores when I nearly tripped over on unopened case of 120 Minute IPA. My first question to the manager was, "You got any 90 Minute to go with this?" Knowing DFH's penchant for monstrous beers, I was hoping to score one of my favorite I2PA's (the 90 Min.) and pass on the 120 Min. Alas, no 90 Minute was found so I grabbed up one of the 120 Minute IPA and moved on.
Well, last night I decided the time was right to open up the 12oz bottle and see just how far DFH would go. Emptied into my trusty tasting glass, this brew had a clear nearly copper color topped by a modest white head that left no lace and didn't hang around long.
The nose gave me a clue as to how far DFH went. A sniff was rewarded with the aromas of booze, hops, toasty malts and fruits. The most potent of this blend were the alcohol and the hops. The hops were a real nose-tweaker. The taste had all these elements taken to the extreme. The flavors of tropical fruits, candy sugar, and the proverbial butt-load of hops juice had me thinking about what candy-coated hops would taste like. Somwhat surprisingly, the alcohol didn't light me up very much, only leaving a slight warmth down the throat and in my belly. The full, syrupy feel really coated my palate and left a lasting taste long after each swallow.
Well, one of those will do it for me! I honestly couldn't imagine having more than one of these at a sitting, such is the nearly overwhelming potency of all the flavors. Still, like I stated at the start of this review, gimme the 90 Minute over this one any day.

05-04-2004 18:53:06 | More by Boilermaker88
kegerator

Maryland

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

this is a strong brew that I'm sure most of us look for just to say they tried it...well i tried it.
poors a nice deep amber color with a solid head, that dwindles fairly quickly.
the smell was very sweet with some hop in the background.
taste was sweet and syrupy, the alcohol was very noticeable here.
mouthfeel was syrupy
as for drinkability, i don't think its very drinkable. its syrupy alcohol, thats about all i got out of this brew, but at the end of it i can say the buzz was worth the 3 bucks :)

05-04-2004 13:11:15 | More by kegerator
GuinnessSmurf

Missouri

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

The Dogfish Head 120 minute - behold, I too have witnessed it in all it's majesty. I had heard all the legends about this brew, but I felt that would never come across one. In truth, some beers must be sought after, and this is one of them. I discovered this beer with a few other Dogfish Head brews, nestled back on the shelf. I could see it glowing from the end of the isle. It hopped right in my shopping cart.

Later, I had it hop into my glass. The pour came bearing tons of fine bubbles that headed up on top of an attractive golden/blonde beer. The head diminishes at a very medium rate - a very comfortable rate. Parts of it still stuck to my glass at the end of the beer.

This is a very aromatic beer. With all the talk of hops, it should be mentioned that this beer does not try to enrage the senses with hop-overkill. The smell is very sweet, with perfumes and citrus smells. Of course, those scents accompany some hop notes as well.

This is one of those tastes that really grows. From the opening sip to about 3 minutes after you swallow, the beer will entertain every part of your tongue and mouth. It comes on strong at first - as if to let you know, "Yes, this is a hop craft, and we aren't afraid to let the hops shine." I have theorized that this opening blast of bitter/sweet hops is to mask the high ABV - which I never noticed during the whole beer. The taste gradually sweetens up in your mouth...going through stages that remind me of grapefruit and ending in what I could only pinpoint as an Orange Julius.

This is one smooth, long lasting flavored beer - and it goes down way too easy. I wish they were a little cheaper...on the drinkability scale, I could have had this beer all night...and even had one this morning with breakfast.

04-27-2004 13:47:51 | More by GuinnessSmurf
CBFanWish

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Behold, the infamous Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. The mighty King of the Pale Ale.
As we all love to talk about our big beers, there is one that shall always be mentioned as the biggest, the hoppiest, and the all around scarriest. This is it.
I poured mine into a pilsner glass, just because I don't want to waste anything. The colour, not quite what I expected from a real live monster, was a hazy golden amber. The head was moderate and released a ton of fantastic aromas.
Sweet lemon with a warming alcohol nose.
The taste was super sweet with a giant citric flavor as well. The alcohol bit was more of a warming than anything. It was actually quite nice.
This is something you can get lost in. It doesn't seem like such a big beer, but it is.

04-23-2004 16:56:41 | More by CBFanWish
ngandhi

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Vintage 2003. 12 oz.

You can't make an Imperial IPA and just ignore hops. And, if you focus on hops, it can't just be all about the surprising citric and floral flavors you can extract from them; you've got to get bitter. And, by anyone's standards, 120 IBUS -- a practically impossible measure of bitterness to reach on a homebrew level -- is an atomic lupulin bomb. Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, at 120 IBUs and 20% alcohol by volume, drinks like a session IPA and does everything a beer can.

The overwhelming sweetness in this oh so young beer balances out the high alcohol and intimidating bitterness (take, for example, Stone Ruination which, at the same IBUs, I twice poured down the drain). Yes, it is much like a barleywine or old ale with so much malty sweetness and notes of vin santo and sauternes, but the unctous extract serves only to make this beer palateable and nothing else. The nose is of raw, grassy hops tinged with alcohol and the finish is as leafy as any IPA. Without so much sweetness, we may likely be struggling to even swallow this beer.

Nectarous with so much residual sugar yet flavored predominantly by the hops, I think of this as I think of a good lemonade -- it has to be sweet to be drinkable, but real lemonade still tastes as fresh as the oils from the rind. Sure, I could do with a bit less sugar, but it gives it structure which is something a 20% alcohol beer needs to avoid tasting distillate. I've had several beers with half the alcohol that haven't done even half the job of masking their volatility.

As I have said before, this "Minute" hopping has done well to blur the lines between bitterness and flavor when it comes to hops. And though some might rightfully prefer the taxing bitterness of brews like Ruination, Dogfish Head shows off what American IPAs have always been great at showing off and that is the glory of the hop in all its forms.

A focus on bitterness simplifies the bud by blowing off all its flavor, while aggressive dry-hopping without much bitterness rarely makes more than a perfumey hop tea. In this beer, however, nothing is compromised.

Indeed, 120 Minute IPA is everything a single brewer can possibly achieve. Yet I suspect this is only the beginning for Dogfish Head. It is to us what Thomas Hardy Ale was to the Brits (and now is once again). The joy of malt. The joy of hops. The joy of one man and his glass.

Relax, relax.
ng

04-18-2004 00:03:38 | More by ngandhi
Afterburner

Appearance: Copper-orange, with no head or lacework. Looks like my latest batch of homebrew in that respect.

Smell: Fantastic bouquet. The hops are, oddly, not as assertively floral as I would have anticipated. But they're definitely present in a piney, citrusy way. Strong malt aroma as well. Very sweet, almost like brownie dough. Rum and butter notes as well. Quite possibly one of the best *smelling* beers I've ever had.

Taste: Oh my freakin' gawd. Absolutely fantastic flavor. I think I have a new favorite beer. Sweet, malty beginning, very much like a barleywine. Hints of molasses and toffee in the foreground. Mid-palate sees an explosion of ale fruity-ness, with peaches, currants, and chocolate. The finish lingers with buttery rum notes, also some vanilla. The alcohol is well-hidden and doesn't leave a heavy burn.

Mouthfeel: Outstanding. Very small-bead carbonation. Just enough carbonation to give it texture and make it interesting.

Drinkability: This beer is dangerously, deceptively drinkable. It doesn't feel at all like a 40 proof beer. You won't be drinking more than two or MAYBE three of these in a sitting, but individually they drink like lesser beers. You'll have it drained before you know it, and it'll catch up with you.

04-14-2004 23:57:59 | More by Afterburner
vurt

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev -15%

appearance:
A gorgeous orange-amber, almost perfectly clear but for a slight suggestion of haze (which I attribute to its viscosity rather than anything in suspension). Not much head to speak of from the pour, but a dense, creamy head is generated by swirling the glass. The liquid coats the glass and leaves behind a sticky archipelago of foam. Tiny bubbles rise from the bottom of the Piraat tulip I'm sampling this brew from.

smell:
Easily my least favorite aspect of this massive brew, sorry to say. There's sweet rolls (with icing), and orange candy slices, and the expected DFH nuttiness, and something meaty and gravy-like, and enough alcohol to curl my nose hairs...and an earthiness that brings both "wet cardboard" and "Fuggles aftertaste" to mind. As a West-coast double IPA veteran of long standing, I was expecting a heady and bludgeoning hop aroma (which probably just means that my expectations were way off base).

taste and mouthfeel:
Sweetness first and foremost, redolent of sweet rolls and marzipan, and when the alcohol kicks in the flavor morphs into something like a Grand Marnier with a bit less orange. Then the hops break in (have mercy!) like a brass section recorded in a parking garage-- rolling, booming, loud as hell, but blurry and indistinct. The bitterness is much more floral than the nose led me to believe. Mouthfeel is full, oily, and luxurious, as befits flavors this huge. The finish lasts forever with the bitter winning out over the sweet, though the lingering flavor is of roasted nuts (pine, filbert, brazil).

drinkability:
Too much of everything leaves my palate tingling and saturated. This is a beer I might crave in another 6 months or so, but I can't imagine having more than one in an evening. Or a week. I'll break one out of my stash in another year or so, to see how it's aging. If it dries out, I could see bumping the drinkability score up to 3 or maybe even 3.5.

04-11-2004 05:24:50 | More by vurt
erica

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer kicked my ass. I split a bottle of it with my boyfriend over the weekend. Tasty but a bit much. It was a nice reddish honey colour, looked pretty and innocent. I wasn't crazy about the aroma. Not sure if it was my glass or something but it smelled metallic, also sweet and malty, abit boozey, not too hoppy somehow. It tasted wonderful, since I am more of a malt person than a hop person, and this was very malty. I don't know how DFH does it. And at 20%abv, my god it didn't taste like it. Mouthfeel was a bit thick but it worked, and drinkability, well yes, it was very drinkable. Again, it kicked my ass with its no hint of alcohol in there! I'd probably get this again at some point if available but I'm not craving another bottle of it yet.

04-06-2004 16:48:25 | More by erica
Darkale

2.08/5  rDev -48.8%

Clear, bronze-orange body. No head at first, so I did some "tall-thin pouring" (beer bottle one foot over the glass, pouring a stream); this resulted in the kind of roiling head formation one sees in a vigorously poured imperial stout. Head is almost tan, but too white to deserve the label. Very resilient, with foam that sticks to the glass like insulation.

Aroma is like a 60-Minute IPA that's gone off its meds.

A blast of hops juice. Mouthfeel is tremendously thick and chewy, slick and foamy.

Taste? OK, DFH, you have finally gone over the top. You are one of my top-tier breweries, and your 60-minute IPA is always welcome in my fridge (there's a six-pack in there right now). But, I could not drink your 120 Minute IPA. This is just too much. This is at least 30 minutes too much hopping. In fact, the entire beer is too much of everything. Too much alcohol, too much sweetness, too much hops, my tongue is so numb I feel like I just stuck it into an electrical outlet.

04-06-2004 16:14:45 | More by Darkale
longpondbeerman

Maine

3.45/5  rDev -15%

Pours a slightly viscous and musty amber (like a jar of new honey)with a thin, big-bubbled head. The smell is like airplane glue, though not entirely unpleasant--actually rather tantalizing, with undertones of sweet vanilla. There are hops in here, but I can't really find them all that well. The carbonation is immediately evident in the mouthfeel, and the taste is sticky sweet, almost cloying. I wish the hops were more in evidence. The alcohol content dominates this Double (Quadruple?) IPA, although its not as noticeable as you might imagine--unless you drink it too fast.

04-04-2004 22:11:19 | More by longpondbeerman
cerevisiaephilus

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

This beer just keeps on giving.

The nose is hollow. Reminiscent of vomit and cat food. We would expect the hops to be stronger, but all we really got was alcohol and cat food.

Taste is very sweet. Reminds one of our tasters (actually all of us) of southern comfort. But very round with long finish. Interesting hop flavors mingle with the overpoweringly sweet maltiness in a graceful manner. Doesn't taste like cat food or vomit. The alcohol is actually quite discrete.

This heres a sippin' beer. Drink with caution.

Reviewed by three experts, some eugenecists some not.

04-03-2004 05:11:02 | More by cerevisiaephilus