120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,135 | Reviews: 2,126

4.52/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: bottle dated 3/27/14

A - Golden/Ruby colored with little to no head. Gorgeous color

S - Booze, vanilla, caramel, dried fruit, and a hint of oak. There's no denying this beer's similarity to a barleywine.

T - A warm booziness follows a strong dried fruit note which is further followed by a keen lingering bitterness and alcohol burn. This—and the warming buzziness that comes along with it—is the only hint at just how strong this beer is. It's incredibly well balanced.

M - Thick and lingering. Think of half and half vs. non fat milk

O - An extraordinary beer from our friends at Dogfish. It really is remarkable just how much care and passion goes into this little bottle. Honestly, I would rate this in the top ten beers that I've ever had the pleasure of tasting and a world-class beer that truly stands on it's own. I'm still not sure if I'd call this an IPA or even a triple IPA. It's more of a cross between a double IPA and an american barley wine. I'm glad that I finally had the chance to try this fresh. I've been cellaring a couple of bottles for over a year. Looks like it's time for a vertical tasting!

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head
Imperial IPA
18% ABV

APPEARANCE: Pours a very inviting golden honey, with shimmering orange highlights and flashes or a deep ruby red. The great big billowy head had amazing retention for being such a high abv. Nice lacing all the way through.

AROMA: Smells exactly like a barelywine with the big malty front that consumes your nose. Honey comb cereal from when I was kid, with the combination of sweetness and biscuity graininess. Light brown sugar and a faint floral aroma lingers on the end.

TASTE: As expected in this big beer the taste follows the nose exact. Huge huge sweet malty explosion with a honey, caramel, vanilla flavor blend going on. Can't believe this is 120 IBU beer I'm having trouble even detecting hops. I do get some citrus, orange, perhaps dried peaches which I didn't detect at all on the nose. Faint spice and surprisingly no heat from that high ABV.

MOUTHFEEL: Heavy body with a medium carbonation. Creamy and really expands in the mouth. Syrupy and oily with a unexpected dry finish.

OVERALL: I still feel this taste and drinks like a barley wine. Very sweet and warms the body so nicely. It is very easy to drink with the 18% I will applaud that. I have another that I going to age for a while and see if it changes the flavor profile on it at all.

RATING: 3.75/5 Zombie Heads!!

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Perfection!!! Took me over a year to finally obtain. But it was definitely worth the wait and every penny of the $12 I paid. One of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Still can't believe that it's 18 % ABV. Disappointed that the Liquor Store limits the quantity to 1 bottle and that's only for elite customers.

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

A: Dark and golden, with a very minimal head, and murkiness. Gorgeous all the way, and indicative of great things to come on the smell and taste.

S: Its so boozy that the other smells are nearly masked. Still, notes of hops (obviously), raisins, apricot, raisins, and other dried fruits; walnuts, and a touch of smoke. It almost reminds me of a great plate of charcuterie., which I love.

T: Mmmmm... just so tasty and boozy and hoppy and incredible. Very smokey, with a hint of, again, dried fruit.

M: A nice carbonation that gives way to an array complexity and booziness. So much alcohol and I love it.

O: Am I drunk already? I can't tell, but god this is a good beer. I'm so lucky to try this at the end of a rough year of law school.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery