1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Reviews: 1936

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
View: Beers (137) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,233 | Reviews: 1,936 | Show All Ratings:
Hefe

Maryland

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Tasted on 3/24/04 at R.F.D. (Beer's of the Mid-Atlantic Tasting with Micael Jackson)

Very Important note - This was served through the randall.

Appearance: Amber-resinous look with just a touch of lacing.

Smell: Holy *&#$! Off the chart intensity, sweet, hoppy, floral

Taste: Bam! A core of malty sweetness, surrounded by a supernova of hoppy goodness. Candied citrus, and notes of plum and apricot follow after and the finish is very floral and damn near eternal.

Mouthfeel: Vinous and almost resinous. The randallizer I think leaves this brew feeling cask conditioned. The carbonation is light and creamy.

Drinkability: I gave this a 4 for drinkability because the alcohol is well disguised. Based on this alone I could drink it all day. Though at 20% abv I certainly wouldn't recommend.

03-28-2004 04:53:58 | More by Hefe
TinusTime

From a 750 bottle

Poured a Honey colour with a pretty white head.. The smell is not what one would think.. It is sweet and floral.. Almost a candied aroma. Taste is sweet at first. Reminded me of some belgians that use Rock candy sugar.. Hops come in, but these dont dry it up like you think they would.. They just kinda mellow it out and give it a nice floral, citrusy sweetness. Alcohol is hidden a little too well, but you know its there. Despite the ABV this thing goes down dangerous smooth. The sweetness and the ABV lower the drinkability. I could take a pint of this, but dont know if i could do another, and well I probably shouldnt.

03-22-2004 20:11:44 | More by TinusTime
Loki

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle.

Appearance: Golden Honey amber color with a 1/4 inch foamy, bubbly white head. Sticky lacing around the glass. Very inviting.

Smell: Simply wonderful floral, grassy hop aroma with delicate wisps of malt wafting up from underneath. Blasts of alcohol and almost sickly sweetness bust in to spoil this olfactory utopia.

Taste: Once again the aroma lends hints to the taste. Wonderfully hoppy without tongue numbing bitterness, however like the nose alcohol and a nearly sickening sweetness mar this near perfection of hops. I don't know if the malty sweetness or cloying will mellow with age or become more predominant. Maybe the 750mL or on tap would be better than the 12oz. A wonderful experiment of hops, alcohol, and malt.

Mouthfeel: Very intense and playful. A little too sticky and sweet for a perfect score, but it makes the mouth and all the senses come alive.

Drinkability: The sheer ABV and the cloying sweetness severely negate the drinkability of this hop monster. But not so much I wouldn't try it again, and again, and maybe again...

03-16-2004 15:46:41 | More by Loki
bditty187

Nebraska

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Slightly hazy, bronzy-brown in hue, I couldn’t get much of a head to form; all I managed was a wobbly foamy collar around the edges of my glass. There was no subsequent lacing. The appearance is a little dull, if not disappointing. I can’t say the bouquet is telling me much, there is a big malty-alcohol sweetness and the hops are noticeable but hollow, vague flowery notes. The smells are more intriguing than inviting; regardless I took a sip. My first swallow was so sweet! Was I drinking a solution of sucrose, Saccharin, Aspartame, Cyclamate, and Acesulfame K? Yes, it was that sweet. It took a little work before I noticed the hops; it never even approached a balanced point. An IPA? Pure BS. Frankly it never became that tasty either, yes it was “good” but I’m not sure why this beer is in existence. DFH likes to push the envelope and experiment but what is the deal with 120? The maltiness is not complex enough to be a barleywine and the hops are too drowned to be an IPA. The brewers did a topnotch job at hiding the massive alcohol content in the taste; the effects of the alcohol are noticed elsewhere (i.e. the brain) but the cloying sweetness is just too off-putting. It is full bodied, thick and unyielding; the minimal carbonation makes the mouthfeel feel a bit sluggish. This is a one-try beer for me, I always wanted to try it and I am very happy I did. Thank you Loki for the 12-ounce bottle!

03-15-2004 14:53:07 | More by bditty187
Stingray5

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

12oz, 2003 bottling. Pours a clear amber, short lived head, large bubbles. Very pleasing aroma of fresh, pungent hops and sweetness. Taste yields sinus clearing, super sweet fruit, with mellow hops. Cherry and grape.The sensation of the alcohol is there, but is masked unbelieveably well for such a high abv. Tastes like a 13% barleywine. Solid malt evident in the finish.
Complexities arise as it warms.

I was expecting much more of an onslaught of hops from this. Instead I found less an IPA and more a kicked up barleywine, if that's possible.

03-12-2004 03:28:11 | More by Stingray5
halfpgl

Maryland

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

The long anticipated 120-Minute IPA was well received but not what I expected. The mark fell short of what I expected after trying the 60 & 90 minute IPA’s. The malt character is more pronounced than the hops, which I feel, are better balanced in the other 2 brews. This beer reminds me of a Belgian or a Barleywine. It’s still a really good beer. The color is a dark amber with little head. The nose picks up the malt and some hops but I would have expected more with the amount of dry hopping that goes into this. It’s got a little syrup like finish but not unpleasant one. Alcohol brings a nice little warmth. I think this beer will be even better if I can let it lay down for a year or two, If I have the willpower.

03-06-2004 22:41:04 | More by halfpgl
jonnylieberman

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

What a fascinating beer...

Out of the bottle and into the cup it looks like a "normal" beer. Tawny, copper, a slight head, slightly off-white.

Then the smell hits you. Alcohol is tied with vanilla as the dominant themes, but many more exist on a smaller scale. Really excellent nose. Peach, plum, white chocolate... Mesmerizing.

The taste is great. Slightly unbalanced and quite alcoholic, but not in a bad way. In fact, I was surprised by how much I liked the taste. The bottle I had was brewed recently, so perhaps in a few years (120 Minute IPA will be the drink of choice for all discriminating cockroaches once we're done with these dark ages) the taste will sort itself out a bit more.

The mouthfeel, or rather the finish, is what really excited me. The is beer lingers longer than any I have ever drank. In fact, the warm alcohol slides down your throat slower than bourbon. Unbelievable the length which this guy lingered. Unreal. Try it, just for that alone.

I was also surprised at just how drinkable and really good 120 Minute is. I could easily see knocking off a sixpack and then melting into the floor.

03-04-2004 17:46:37 | More by jonnylieberman
mschofield

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%

Pours a deep red-gold with a tight white head.
Full robust citrus (orange, grapefruit) and floral aroma. Malty and sweet, the alcohol makes it's presence known.
The taste is a letdown, far too sweet and cloying, did they skip the yeast, and just add some vodka to unfermented wort? This could be what a 90 minute IPA tastes like before the yeast goes to work. After that wonderful aroma, and my experience with 90 minute IPA, it was just a letdown.
Full bodied, not a pleasant beer to drink.

03-02-2004 22:55:51 | More by mschofield
cokes

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev +1%

12 oz.

Clear amber hue that shines golden. Struggling, yet surprisingly resilient beige crown. Wobbly streams of carbonation force their way slowly upward.
Pine-encrusted tangerine nose. The pine casing falls away as it warms. Fig brandy later on. Just a touch toasty too.
Begins all gooey and sweet. Brown-sugar coated raisins. Mango concentrate. Honey baked pineapple too, topped with mounds of sugar. Hopping is multi-colored. Piney initially. Then leans grassy, then herbal. Finishes like a dive-bar Long Island Iced tea, featuring, primarily, a over-generous, glowing whisky presence. Ends boozy dry with a sugared tropical fruit remainder.
Thick and coating, and lightly cloying. Yet this maintains a drinkability that belies it's 40 proof waistline. This is frighteningly downable, actually.

It's at least a half hour better than 90 Minute.

This is not quite as wild (read: masochistic) as I figured. A bit sweet, but otherwise well-measured in its excess.

02-27-2004 00:38:44 | More by cokes
ZAP

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a hazy butnt orange....flatish...little carbonation evident on the pour...nose is softer than expected..floral...also some sweeter citrus like oranges...maybe pineappples...body is substantial...very full...thick...syruppy....low in carbonation....taste is very sweet....honey like...ABV is very hidden..hops battle like heck to add some bite to the finish but it is very light....maybe just a tich of alcohol on the finish along with the sweet citrus hops...

Wow..I expected something completely different...I expected a very bitter hoppy beer but this is so sweet and syrupy...I actually like it just fine...in fact this is sliding down much quicker than I anticipated..

Overall...a big beer worth enjoying in the dead of the winter....a good belly warmer and I love the sweet flavors this exhibits...Not an all-time great but a very good beer..

02-24-2004 05:41:10 | More by ZAP
Billolick

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light orangy pale amber. Tiny bubbles, leaving lace. This beer simply is too sweet, but I love it. My wife (bless her) put "some beers" in the fridge for me. Including this one, that I planned to keep around for a year or two before trying, oh well.
This is thick, syrupy stuff. Heavy on the malt, not quite balanced by the hops. Notes of oranges, alcohol, and more alcohol, and grand marinier, very warming. Would be great with desert or by the fire on a chilly winter night.Probably will improve with age, I've got one more bottle, I'll hide it better...

02-24-2004 04:14:16 | More by Billolick
marcobrau

2.7/5  rDev -33.5%

I found this beer, the latest in the entry in the "extreme" beer category, to be a little bit over the top. Hops are promised on the label (they are both depicted in art form and mentioned in the text) but this beer is not about tasting extreme amounts of hops. As a homebrewer, I know that truckloads of hops had to be added to this beer in order to balance all the malt, but this does not taste like other double or Imperial IPAs that I have sampled. Far from it actually. That said, Dogfish Head 120 is quite different and I do like how the hops sort of surface here and there in this beer. They appear to be sort of in the shadows. Faint whisps of hop aroma (mostly a grassy aroma) combined with caramlized sugar. The malt aroma is so strong strong it almost reminds me of sniffing a cognac. The color of this beer is a light copper to my surprise it pours with a decent amount of carbonation with a soft white head of foam. The first flavors that I detect remind of a syrupy sherry more than any beer, especially and IPA. A bit grapefruitiness is detected as the beer warms up and a hop bitterness also emerges. The finish is otherwise dry and grows more bitter as the beer warms up. I liked this beer, and I loved the interplay between the massive amount of hops and malt, but I did not find this too be the extremely hoppy beer that the label and the hype seems to suggest. This is not an Imperial or Double IPA (this is reflected in some of my marks above), but it succeeds in pushing the envelope of strong beer, and I think it succeeds in being a very unsual beer which is precisely what Dogfish Head beers are good at being.

02-19-2004 04:52:05 | More by marcobrau
yeagerbm

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

WOW! Bottle says Imperial IPA, but they should change it to Extreme IPA.
I was excited to find this one along with WorldWide Stout, and many other hard to find micros available at College Square Liquors in Westminster, MD.

I poured into a la fin du monde glass. The head is thick and white and the color was a pleasant orangey amber.
Upon taking a whiff I was expecting to be overtaken by the smell of hops and alcohol. I was surprised with the mellow fruity fragrance with a hint of floral hops.
The taste blew me away with the first sip. It almost tastes like concentrated fruit cocktail... very sweet, tart and syrup-like with warming alcohol. The tartness reminds me of grapefruit, and the aftertaste lingers and the hops start to show themselves. The taste is somewhat overpowering.
It is hard to pinpoint the mouthfeel of this beer with its extreme taste, but it is very smooth feeling once you get past the shock of the taste. The alcohol is covered up well by the sweet candy-like character, but you definatley know its there with its warmth and the buzz it gives you.
This is not a session beer at all. Unless you soley pick a session beer on the basis of alcohol. This is a very slow drinking beer with its intense sweetness, and probably should be drank in about 4 or 5 ounce servings. Overall this is definately worth trying. It's very similar to a barley wine only more intense.

02-11-2004 23:40:47 | More by yeagerbm
stodbrew

2.83/5  rDev -30.3%

Like everyone else, I had heard great things about this beer. Perhaps that made my expectations greater.

Poured from the bottle a deep golden/very light amber color. Very short lived head.

The aroma was not at all what I was expecting. I was waiting for a huge hop explosion, but that was not to be. Instead, the aroma was very fruity, apples, and some citrus.

In the flavor, again, I was expecting a hop bomb. Instead, it was very sweet, perhaps cloyingly so. It did have some hop bitterness, but not enough to balance out the overwhelming sweetness.

I would love to try some other DFH beers, but this one was just not for me.

02-08-2004 01:57:02 | More by stodbrew
ManekiNeko

2.6/5  rDev -36%

12 oz bottle served at cellar temp. in a Trois Pistoles goblet.

Appearance: Clear brownish yellow topped by a short-lived and small white head which recedes to a ring right quick. Very little was left in the way of lacing.

Smell: Sweet pine sap and lotsa oranges, peaches, apples, and the white gummi bears. Not really what I was expecting at all.

Taste: Sugary sweet, almost meadlike in both intensity and in general flavor profile. Floral nectar and honey tastes. Peachy fruitiness. A mild herbal and pinelike taste on the finish, but very week.

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous, almost syrupy. Coats the mouth.

Drinkability: Really too sweet for my tastes. I had trouble finishing my 12 oz. bottle, which makes me glad I didn't snag the 750 I saw this past summer. I was expecting more West Coast-esque hopping here: Cascade, Chinook, Centennial and the like. This is some weird liqueur. Oh well, it's definitely an interesting beer, to say the least and I applaud pushing the envelope like this.

02-05-2004 02:21:42 | More by ManekiNeko
Ieatlambfries

4.1/5  rDev +1%

The bottle was cracked open right during the kickoff of the Super Bowl. The appearance surprised me. I kind of was expecting something less, I dunno, sedate looking. It poured a dark clear amber with a very small head. The smell was very malty with a lot of alcohol. Now as to the taste, very caramel malty sweet then when it felt like it was too sweet the bitter/citrus hop flavors just take over, followed by the heavy alcohol after taste. I also detected hints of what tasted like pineapple? Crazy! This is an extreme beer. Not for the faint of heart, very exaggerated flavors in every way. Mouthfeel was surprisingly good, although I swear I could feel the alcohol evaporating off my lips. I gave the drinkability a high rating only because it went down waaaay smoother than I expected. However I don't know if I'd really drink more than one in a row. This beer begs to ask the question, "can there ever be too much of a good thing?" I recommend this to the hop heads and extreme beer lovers. Although to the hop heads expect alot of sweet malt in order to balance out the profuse usage of hops. Hopefully you won't be as suprised by the sweetness as I was.

02-04-2004 05:37:44 | More by Ieatlambfries
mkobes

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Great beer. Really strong almost like barleywine. Subtle in alcohol, not noticable. But be careful it sure is there. I think its 20%. Good winter beer, really warms you up. Smooth flavors. Full bodied beer. Great beer from Dogfish head. Very enjoyable. Malty and hoppy. Copper in color. I really liked this beer.

01-31-2004 18:12:03 | More by mkobes
jtfest

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

'03 bottling. This brew looks innocent enough. Pours a clear amber with virtually no head. The aroma? Alcohol. I felt my nose hairs singe and my eyes blurred. There may have been some other scents in there as well, but they were lost after the damage to my mucous membranes. The funny thing was how non-prevalent the alcohol was in the taste. It was sweet and fruity with apricot tones -- dangerously pleasant, in fact, considering the ABV. I didn't even detect bitterness or alcohol in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was substantial, syrupy, and like chewing on moist dried fruit. I was torn on the drinkability rating -- no way I could pound these back, but it went down pretty smoothly. I'm going to cellar a few of these ...

01-29-2004 02:57:42 | More by jtfest
Jables

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured a deep copper with a thin off white head.

Smells of alcohol, fruit, alcohol, apricots, alcohol, peaches, etc.

Taste is like a blend of braggot and cyser so an apple honey beer. The apple and fruit flavors play heavy just floating on top of that alcohol monster lingering beneath.

The mouthfeel is great, heavy, and full.

Drinkability is low around sippability but not for lack of flavor rather just too heavy.

01-27-2004 04:53:52 | More by Jables
Shiredave

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

12oz bottle, notch between "03 and '04 for bottling date.
Wow. Pours a deep, honey gold color. Gooey, bright white head is very dense and recedes quickly leaving spatters of lace behind.
Carbonation slowly streams up, struggling thru the oily viscocity.
Very yeasty aroma at first which seems to blow off with a few swirls and is replaced by a sharply alcoholic blast of floral hop.
First rush of flavor is intensly citrus- grapefruit concentrate and mandarin oranage mixed with big dose of alcohol that cleans the sinuses. Ultra sweet alcohol and more apricot like flavors move in followed by scorching pepper hop and flaming alcohol to finish it out. Very full bodied and heavy on the tongue. Just too much going on to savor - flavors too intense.
Way over the top and difficult to drink for me. So much alcohol is distracting and not really enjoyable. Almost sickeningly sweet , massive hop flavors and over the top alcohol all sound like things I might enjoy but doesnt really work for me here. Hard for me to finish 12oz. I should have saved this bottle and shared it w/ 2 or 3 others. Sipping 3-4 oz and saying " Holy shit!" w/ friends is the way to go w/ this beer.

01-27-2004 03:49:18 | More by Shiredave
guinness33

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

i have to admit that this one frightened me a bit, as it's abv is way higher than anything i've sampled in the past. i was anticipating the alcohol flavour to be just overpowering. thankfully, it was not. this one pours a nice amber colour with a tiny white head that has decent lacing effects. it smells hoppy as hell. wow. fruit, bread and earth notes can also be detected here. the taste is definitely less hoppy than the smell and more mild than expected for the 120. it is actually very fruity with a tropical/citrus flavouring to it. alcohol is apparent throughout but nicely intermingled with the rest of the flavours here. there is a bit of a tart, dry hop finish. different, but good. i'd sample this one again, but it's just too strong to throw back (and by throw back i mean take 1.5 - 2 hours to drink it, like i did) on a regular basis.

01-21-2004 21:16:40 | More by guinness33
lou91

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

This was a small 12 oz. bottle. Beer poured still and a rosy amber color and a gentle whiff of hops. Whew what a taste. It tastes like a cross between mead with its honey alcohol warmth and an IPA. Rich, thick and sweet – maybe a bit too sweet or too young. Definite tastes of melon, and raisins. It tastes like an ice wine or a good desert wine. This beer was brewed in 2003 and the label says it will age a decade but hard to believe with no sediment.

01-21-2004 05:10:03 | More by lou91
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

So here it sits before me, the formidable 120 Min. IPA. Let's take one minute and analyze this bad boy, shall we?
Pours into the Duvel tulip glass with little fanfare in the way of head, that which remains is extremely lacey, off-white in color and the liquid very gently carbonated.
The color is brilliantly clear gold with reddish-amber highlights when held to the light. Sticking my sniffer into the glass reveals aromas of grapefruit, some tropical fruitiness, small amounts of fusel alcohols. I'm sensing a small amount of bubblegummy notes here too.
Now for the moment of truth: The Taste (insert tight snare roll here), ultra sweet, damn near cloying sugary sweetness, massive tropical fruitiness that coats the mouth, substantial hoppiness....not nearly as bitter as you'd expect, and a gargantuan warming alcohol that warms throat, chest and stomach, hoo-hah! Don't smoke near this rocket fuel, it's potent as all hell. Midtaste I'm getting residual sugariness for the malt that lasts and lasts, alcohol vapors that fill the roof of my mouth and damn near fill my sinuses, mixed with the hoppiness. Finishes long, lush and bold. Don't quite know what to make of all the sweetness as it masks alot of the subtleties contained within, but I'm glad I got to try this monsterous ale. Gets high points for appearance and aroma, but low marks for the rest of the catagories. Caveat Emptor!

01-19-2004 00:08:13 | More by beerluvr
jlervine

Georgia

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a wine glass a deep amber-orange with a white head that put up little fight. Lace receded to the edge of the glass. Smell is hops, hops, and more hops. Citrus hops, herbal hops, piney hops. Caramel malts seem to support them. The taste is other-worldly. You start with a head on collision of hops, then a strikingly surprising sweetness paired with loads of alcohol notes. It slightly burns, slightly numbs, and slightly dries out the mouth, making you even more succeptable to the next sip. You taste oranges, rum, plums, caramel, maple syrup, it's all briefly tossed in. The mouthfeel is such that you can't drink this one too quickly. It is almost like a port in that regard - yeah, it tastes really really good, but there is a bit of apprehension involved with taking that next sip. You really want to spread this one out.

And it indeed, as another reviewer mentioned a possibility of, goes fantastically well with pancakes. Seriously. Why else would I be reviewing this beer at 9:30 in the morning - I planned this! ;-)

01-18-2004 14:41:52 | More by jlervine
altctrlsdelete

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

This is, in my opinion, a hard beer to review. Let me say up front that I'm quite fond of it, but I don't think it's "the holy grail for hopheads."

This beer pours a dark amber color, darker than I'd expect for an IIPA. Very thin head that dissipates, but what were you expecting with 20% alchohol? Considering the minimal head, the beer leaves a generous amount of lacing in its wake.

Smells wonderful, just doesn't smell hoppy to me. This is far and away the sweetest smelling IIPA I've encountered. Almost smells fruity, but I like it. A lot.

Taste follows the smell here, sweet with some slight alcohol burn and just a slight hint that there are hops here. Again, overtones of fruit, but not the citrus taste you expect from an IPA. Very delicate and tasty. The alcohol is beautifully masked, with just a hint of burn on your tongue, and it creeps up on you in a hurry. The aftertaste is even sweeter.

I want to say medium bodied in the mouth, but it's probably closer to heavy. But not Imperial Stout heavy. Feels almost perfect to me. Sits delectably on the tongue and rolls down the throat with ease.

I want another, but the alcohol content won't allow it. This stuff has potential to hurt you, especially in the larger bottle. Honestly, even 12 ounces seems like too much for a single sitting, but damn, it's tasty. The last swallow is as delicious as the first.

My only complaint is that this tastes *nothing* like any other double/imperial IPA I've tasted. It's overpoweringly sweet. If you're looking for the height of bitterness, it's not to be found here. This beer baffles me, and it comes back to the bit on the label claiming to be "the holy grail for hopheads," which this is definitely not. That doesn't stop it from being delicious though, so seek out and try this unique brew.

01-17-2004 08:38:22 | More by altctrlsdelete