2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Reviews: 1936

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,243 | Reviews: 1,936 | Show All Ratings:
tavernjef

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

A slight chill haze yellowy-orange color, very thin white head barely lasts, but not expected really much there with the 20%. Fairly good amounts of delicately thin lacing though. Not much aroma wise, mostly some very soft butterscotch-like warmth in alcohol, seemingly malty sweet mostly with light touches of waxy fresh hops. Taste is quite warm, moderate malty sweetness mostly, a bit complex yet mild, subdued fruityness of melons and a few darkened qualities with yellow raisin and fig. Some toffee and butterscotch meld together with a schnapps-like boozy warmth. Ends with a little extra kick of warmth, somewhat port-like and/or even vinous in character. Feel is well rounded, smooth, clean, and pretty full with a little burn of booze nearer the end and has some nice lingering sweetened mixtures that come through late in the finish...ah yes more malts...and more warmth. This is a major sipper and a great warmer-upper. I can see how some would be put off by its unusual presense and unexpected character, I went in with an open mind not trying to judge it from what I knew about the long hopping process this brew has. I was either expecting something overly hoppy or heavy malted, its the later, more like a sweeter aged barleywine then anything. Quite nice. Big thanks to jeffboo for the bottle!

01-17-2004 01:49:58 | More by tavernjef
lampkins

Wisconsin

2.7/5  rDev -33.5%

Before I offer a review of this brew I must confess that I have been on a mission for the last 1/2 year to get a couple of 750ml's of this stuff. And thanks to a fellow BA I was able to score 2 bottles of the IPA and like the new Star Wars Trilogy I find myself dissapointed with the beer hoping that it will only get better.

The beer poured a thick golden yellow with almost no head to speak off. The aroma of the beer was almost pungent and I could really smell the alcohol. Has this beer on New Years Day and before I opened it I let it stand @ room temp from the fridge for about 30 minutes. Tasted it burned my mouth and reminded me of a strong liquor ala gin. Waited anothter 30 minutes and another, the taste did not change and I hate to admit it, but I did not finish the beer. I am hoping that the beer will get better with age and will open the other 750 ml a year from now. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that it will get better. Sorry.

01-14-2004 01:30:20 | More by lampkins
Crosling

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

The 120....

Hazy dirty orange in color with a thick and dense head. Sticky lacing clings to the glass. A pretty solid looking ale.

Not the most pleasant aroma. Suprisingly weak for what i was expecting. Old lemons, apricot, alcohol, tropical juice and grapefruit were easy to inhale.

Like a BIG sweet barley wine. Thick and warming mouthfeel. Felt very heavy in the mouth and certainly not for the timid. I cannot stress enough how well the alcohol is hidden. This can sneek up on you...fast! If I were to have guessed without knowing the ABV beforehand I would have said 11-12%. Not as hoppy as I had it built up to be but certainly really fucking tasty.

WOW!

01-11-2004 05:16:36 | More by Crosling
Stopper

Connecticut

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

This brew pours a translucent orange with touches of yellow, topped with a thin whitish head. The aroma is somewhat hoppy, but definitely not abrasively so, and has a notable sweet aroma to match it. The mouthfeel is very smooth and sticky, and the initial taste is a chewy sweetness. The alcohol is definitely noticeable in the taste, but not as much so as I would expect if this is really 20%ABV. There is far less hop bitterness or character throughout than I expected, though a bit of dry feeling and bitterness come in the finish. This, however, has a very tough time breaking through the thick coat of sweetness left on the tongue.

The alcohol presence combined with the sweetness makes this remind me quite a bit of an eisbock. The hops were nearly unnoticeable compared to what I expected from dogfish head IPA, especially after having tried the other X-minute beers from this brewery. The sweetness is a bit much and the alcohol is packing a punch. I think I could like this more next time if I approach it with more accurate expectations -- I definitely would share this with someone as a sipping dessert beer, and not drink it where I'd normally have an IPA. This doesn't seem anything like an IPA to me, and not really even a double IPA. But I doubt it fits any style's definition very well. I think this one could survive a very long time in my basement, and go through a lot of beneficial growth there. And it's definitely good enough to entice me to buy a few more bottles for that purpose.

01-09-2004 03:54:50 | More by Stopper
Brent

2.05/5  rDev -49.5%

A prime example of the adage that you can have too much of a good thing. Poured a rather odd, hazy golden - it almost had a thick, syrupy appearance. The flavor was an unusual syrupy sweet hoppyness, like a mutant barleywine. A brutal bittersweetness marked the finish, one that was simply hard to get down. No depth to the flavor, just hops boiled in simple syrup. The 60 and 90 Minute IPA's are good - this was, without a doubt, pushing the envelope too far.

01-04-2004 05:40:47 | More by Brent
FranklinPCombs

2.7/5  rDev -33.5%

Rightfully, this shouldn't be reviewed as an IPA, but rather as an experimental beer. It pours a light amber with little head an lace, receding to a patchy foam. The smell is syrupy, with an understandably high concentration of hops, and a slight hint of malts and citrus. The taste of this beer is, as a beer, unpleasant to say the least. It is far to sweet, again with the syrupy taste with banana and vanilla, and piny hops. There are minimal tastes of malt and the aftertaste is very sweet. There is a fair amount of carbonation, but the beer feels very thick, almost like congnac. At 20% ABV, this is definately a sipping drink, not to be drinken like a beer. Its far too sweet also to be drinken like a regular beer. Despite its low ratings as a beer, I still find it absolutely amazing that this could come from just water, malt and hops. As my brother (GreatPondBrewer) says, this is "an adventure in beer"

12-30-2003 23:51:45 | More by FranklinPCombs
sulldaddy

Connecticut

Served in a 12-oz bottle.

The brew pours a hazy gold color and a bright white head foams up easily. THe head is primarily small tightly packed bubbles but some larger bubbles mixed in as well. Great retention as the head doesnt seem to be fading at all.
The aroma is lightly hoppy with a mixture of fruits present, mostly pears and also hints of alcohol scents as well.
First sip reveals light carbonation and a fairly thick mouthfeel, definitely thicker than I expected. almost syrupy, but in a good way. The flavor is rather crisp up front with some hop flavors, while the middle transitions to a malty sweetness and is actually almost candy like, finally the finish reveals the alcohol that I know is in there.
There is also an earthy flavor in my mouth after the swallow. Some fruity flavors as well again pears but maybe apples now too.
This beer is very smooth considering it is 20%. Dont think I could have more than 2 and actually function too well, cant imagine trying to polish off a bomber!
Very nice beer from DFH once again!

12-21-2003 02:20:29 | More by sulldaddy
merlin48

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz bottle, with my 2003 birthday(April) printed on the label. Pours a clear honey amber. Not much of a head, even with an aggressive pour. Small beige head quickly fades. Exceptional nose, but difficult to describe with all that's there. Hay, pine, citrus, rum-soaked fruits, and a lot more.
Mouthfeel is fascinating! Like a giant orange pez that instantly dissolves in your mouth. What a way cool feeling. Taste begins with caramel syrup, followed by candied fruits(you name the fruit, it's there)...eventually some hops kick in. Very interesting brew here. Bit of a syrupy aftertaste and high abv detract from drinkability.

Overall, this one is difficult to review. An IPA? I don't think so. 120 minute? Yep! Took me 120 minutes to finish. Yee-Haw! This one bottle has sent me for a loop. How could anybody drink two of these and still walk straight? This was, by far, the most interesting "beer" I've ever sampled. I compliment the folks at Dogfish Head for pushing the envelope with this brew. I'm going to cellar a couple bottles of these for awhile. I highly recommend this for the unusual, complex, and ass-kicking qualities of this offering.

12-20-2003 18:26:41 | More by merlin48
Edwin

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Served in a 12-ounce bottle.

Appearance: Pours out a beautiful amber/gold color. A small amount of head at first that disappears quickly. Looks like a thing of beauty in my Troeg's Mad Elf glass.

Smell: Citrus, hops and an alcohol nose throughout. A bit strong on the nose. It gives you every indication that there is a lot included in the recipie.

Taste: Not at all what I was expecting. Sweet...very sweet. Hoppiness and an almost candy-like flavor. Fruit, honey, and hops plow over your tongue. Also...the alcohol is very noticeable. Gives a sweet burn in the throat, but not like drinking Souther Comfort. This is more of a mild warmth that is quite welcome after a few sips.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with low carbonation and a slight alcohol burn that will redden the cheeks.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for a single tasting. Anyone who can possibly drink 6 of these in a sitting deserves a trophy. The sweetness is very potent and the alcohol is very high.

Overall: I commend Dogfish on this complex sampling. It looks great, smells great, and even tastes great. The complexity of it is astounding. But it is meant for having one and one only. I reccommend the 60 or 90-minute for enjoying hops more. This is more of a gimmick than an actual beer, but does have a charm to it, so give it a whirl!

12-17-2003 23:05:04 | More by Edwin
Naerhu

Japan

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

Brandy color body with a thin white head and whispy lace.
Bold malty aroma jumped out with resin and earth aroma.
Old fruit, hugely alcohol and sweet bread flavor.citrusy.
Ice wine like heaviness. IMHO This is not a beer but a whiskey. Way too much alcohol hotness.

I loved the 90 minute, but this 120 is only a novelty. It does not make it all the way as a stand alone good beer.

12-13-2003 09:01:14 | More by Naerhu
GreenWBush

Oregon

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Finally I sit down to write the review on a beer i've been craving for months. I am a hop-head, and I thought this beer would be the "holy grail" it proclaims to be. We'll see about that.

I have to admit, I had to wrestle with the 750 mL bottle to get the damn thing to open. After a good five minutes, I won the battle - but with the cork came a huge glass chunk from the rim of the bottle that shot across the room. Warning signs abound! Beware!

The beer pours out a very unassuming copper color. It didn't have the thick, foamy look that most equally strong beers have - in fact, it looks almost identical to the 60 minute IPA. The beer bubbled up into a small head that disappeared immediately and little lacing at all. After finishing a snifter's worth, I could've sworn that the lacing looked like hebrew characters. Goes to show that the beer really had me under its power.

The beer has a silky mouthfeel that greets you. The beer is amazingly sweet and complex, with layers and layers of flavors attacking you from every direction. I encountered maple syrup, honey, bubblegum, rock candy, with the floral hops in there somewhere. They are just icicles in the ocean in this brew, unfortunately.

The beer isn't weighted with anything but sweets. Towards the end, I did happen to catch slight suggestions of lowland scotch whisky and apple cider. With that being said, the beer is not at all medicinal or overpowering with its alcohol taste. Everything is blended quite well.

This is one rich ass beer. At times, it will convince you that it has a normal consistency, and then out of nowhere you will be swarmed with too many tastes for you palate to deal with.

I knew what I was getting into with this beer - it truly is not an IPA. The only thing that gave me the hint of hops was the dry feeling left in my palate after about two glasses. Another unfortunate side effect of the beer is the Diet-Pepsi taste you are left with.

Basically a beer you've got to try to believe. But for the sake of your pocketbook, split it with four people just to get the taste and save your money for superior Dogfish Head beers.

12-13-2003 05:17:36 | More by GreenWBush
Gusler

Arizona

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

The color on the pour a lightly hazed deep copper with a rather smallish head that is spumescent in texture and the color a light tan as the lace forms it creates a thick and sticky sheet to smother the glass. Whoa Nellie! Nose big time hop floral, sweet malt, fusel alcohol, just from the nose you know this is going to be one bad assed beer. Start is devastatingly sweet with a thick malt profile and the top all rich and full in its feel to the palate. Finish is lenient in its acidity, the hops robust and delightful in their bite, but the alcohol rules the day, aftertaste somewhat alcohol bitter, vinous and desert dry with the hops, sweetness and alcohol all lingering on to the very end, what a “Hoot”, I thank my good buddy , The_Tsunami for this bottle.

12-12-2003 23:43:08 | More by Gusler
clvand0

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Been waiting to try this one for a long time. Finally found it in my area. Pours a golden color with very little head, but adequate amount of carbonation and it doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma is very sweet and strong with hops. The alcohol and a strangely strong aroma also come from the beer. The taste is far from what I was expecting. It starts out extremely sweet/tart then smoothes out and leaves the taste of many fruits (and alcohol) in your mouth. The flavor is incredibly complex and enjoyable after you become accustomed to it. For a 20% abv, they hide the percentage really well.

12-12-2003 21:51:38 | More by clvand0
jeffbearer

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer surprised me. After reading the label 'this is the holy grail for hop heads' and 'dry hopped every day for a month' I expected it to have a hop profile far surpassing anything I've tasted. When I tasted it, Two flavors were dominant, the alcohol and the malt. If I tasted this beer blind, I would of guessed it to be a barley wine.

It's sweet warming flavor makes it a great beer to enjoy on a cold night.

I loved this beer, but I won't be able to enjoy it very often, it's a bit pricy ~$150 a case.

12-10-2003 20:58:27 | More by jeffbearer
jahred

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Wow. I can recall not too long ago when 120 Minute IPA was my favorite beer. My friend and I used to buy 25 oz. bottles of the stuff, slowly drink it over the course of an evening (get quite tipsy in the process), and think we were in heaven.

It's been awhile since I've gone back to the beer and actually tried to review it - I recently bought 4 bottles (2003 vintage), and left 2 in the closet to age.

Pours a dark amber amber color with little head, which quickly disappeared. Smells pleasantly of pine, with hints of citrus/lemon. Taste? WOW... it's as thick and complex as I remember, and super sweet, too. The hoppy taste is there, but it's pretty much the exact opposite of bitter. I taste caramel at first, then sweet maltys, and then some hops , with an orangey-hoppy aftertaste (but still little-to-no bitterness). My lips taste of caramel and sweet oranges!

As it warms, I get a bit more of a grassy, hoppy flavor, more caramel, and a slight taste of apples (very nice!) that I never noticed before. The alcohol is very present (perhaps too much so), but for a 20 % ABV beer, I can't complain. Unfortunately, it's a little wild, and the flavors don't mix as well as I remember them (because of my refined tastes as I continue to drink beer? or a different vintage? i don't know ...)

This beer is amazing - and not your standard IPA. It's just a little tooo sweet and all over the place right now. I think I'm going to take the lone bottle in my fridge and let it join the other two in my closet. This must age incredibly well!

12-09-2003 05:55:23 | More by jahred
GCBrewingCo

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

The light golden brew arrived at the table with a low but persistent head. The aroma was resinous of hops, but still subtle and not overdone. You can sense malt in the background behind the hop aromas. As it warms a huge alcohol aroma develops which overwhelms the senses. The flavor is cloyingly sweet but contains grapefruit and citrus which are well balanced. In 10-15 seconds after sipping the sweetness dissapates into an infectious dryness which evolves into and alcohol warmth that lasts. The balance is well done once the cloying sweetness is gone.

It would be difficult to consume much of this. More of an apertif than a beer, and if the alcohol did not deter you, the sweetness would.

11-25-2003 02:39:26 | More by GCBrewingCo
byrd

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours with a half inch light yellow head that remains for a while. Clear copper in color with a few bubbles slowly rising to the top. Aroma is entirely of hops, but a bit sweet with juicy grapefruit notes. The palate is at once sweet with a definite warming sensation. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. The start is sweet with a hint of dark fruits and pineapple syrup. The hops come in quickly with some slight grapefruit notes, but are not as sharp as I would expect. Some acidity from the hops sticks in the mouth past the finish, but even the hoppy finish it is still overly sweet. I really felt the alcohol in this one go straight to my head by the end of the glass. I couldn’t image drinking more then one. This brew is a bit too sweet for my palate especially when I was expecting a high octane IPA. The sweetness and alcohol degrade the drinkability, and make it seem more like an IPA/barley wine. Not sure how this will age. If anything, I’d hope that the cloying sweetness mellows. I enjoyed the 90 Minute much better.

11-24-2003 20:35:52 | More by byrd
mickeymac

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle brewed in '03, it's orangy-peach with a small to moderate head that fades quickly but makes an occasional guest appearance when the glass is swirled. The smell is rather sweet, with the hard to pinpoint characteristic Dogfish Head smell. Although the smell of hops is there, it doesn't qualify as the "holy grail for hopheads" by any stretch of the imagination.

The taste is ripe fruit with just a trace of hop bitterness. A bigger dose of hops probably would have made things work a bit better. It definitely doesn't smell or taste like a 20% abv beer; the alcohol is warming and a bit mouth-numbing but not overwhelming. The mouthfeel is delightfully creamy. What's strange is seeing the "Other IPAs" listed at the side of the web page with the likes of Hop Devil. It doesn't taste like any IPA I've ever tried. I was beginning to think I'd never get my hands on this one. Thanks to RoyalT for the hook-up.

11-20-2003 05:23:56 | More by mickeymac
feloniousmonk

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Gorgeous bright ruby red color, very sizable, bubblingly creamy head...
Aroma...massive, intense, huge, towering, flowering, flowing over in the air, in the senses, in the soul, ...big, fat fruit, grapefruit, peach, apricot, mango, more...and not too bitter, surprisingly pleasant...
...and, to taste...Oh, my goo'niss! Ah, ah, ah!!!
INCREDIBLE occurence on the palate, prodigious, amazing, and highly flavorful...floods and gushes, uplifts, elevates, urges pleasure at the very instance lip meets cup and ale enters body...full-bodied to say the least, with a long, tantalizing finish, and additional candyish notes that linger on and on...
An IPA that lays me low, knocks me down a notch, and leaves me no recourse but to bow down and let it wash over...every subsequent taste provides further onslaughts of flavor...oh, yum, yummy, McYum-Yums...
During consumption of this ale, I had no idea of the ABV, for it's been carelessly omitted from the label...20%!?!?! ...hot damn!
Sticky, fruity, gummy, sweet, this surely transcends the boundaries of the India Pale Ale, and feels closer to a barleywine, or even a mead or brackett...but whatever the Hell it is, I love it!

Everlasting thanks to DrewS. for this bottle!

11-03-2003 17:49:34 | More by feloniousmonk
skar

3.25/5  rDev -20%

12 oz glass, on tap at Blind Tiger, NYC 10/8/03 Night of the Imperials Part 2

Appearance/Head: Orange color. Rather hazy. Very light head, which is understandable due to the very high ABV.

Aroma: Rich fruitness. It smells very sweet. Some hops, but not the heavy hop aroma I would have expected from 120 IBU's.

Taste: Very thick body. Candy sugar with hops. Notes of brown sugar, blackstrap molasses, and caramelized apples. Overly sweet, not very balanced. Maybe it needs 200 IBU's? The taste actually reminds me some of Samuel Adam's Triple Bock.

Bottom line: I applaud Dogfish Head for created such a unique brew. Unfornuately this is one of those experiments that doesn't quite turn out as you had hoped. I recommend you try this beer if you have a chance, because it is one of a kind.

11-02-2003 18:59:08 | More by skar
marburg

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Um. Wow?

Looks like freshly shaken corn syrup with little air bubbles rising. Golden-ish tone that just looks sweet. Aroma hints at pine trees and alcohol but drifts somewhere towards the tropics -- canned pineapple, sugary fake lime... Sweet on the tongue, fades to mild bitterness. Just bizzare -- but nice.

Putnam very correctly observed that this tasted better after baked goods -- namely the chocolate chip cookies that the 40-year-old "schoolgirl" (It was the day after Halloween; what can I say?) generously gave us.

Sweet, finnicky, bizarre, a bit overdone. Say what you will. It's probably all true.

But this is a hell of a beer with some real paradoxical complexities and simplicities that help you forget you're talking about a beer that weighs in at 20%.

A recommendation for the folks at DFH: Put a Surgeon General-style warning on the label: "Share with friends." Who the hell put this in such a huge bottle?

11-02-2003 18:10:52 | More by marburg
putnam

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Bright sticky hop fragrance. No grapefruit, though plenty of cool herbs like chervil, parsley and basil...candied, spiced lemon peel in the background. There is a suggestion of honey and caramel on the nose which becomes more dominant on the palate. Very sweet, with flavors of pineapple upside-down cake...concentrate. I was just beginning to think this beer was way over the top (narcissistic, attention-grabbing) when a costumed woman from the next table offered us chocolate chip cookies.
This is dessert beer. Drink it with cakes, cookies, buttered, flamed fruit and balance will be restored. Really beautiful in this context. Somewhat awkward (and oversized at 750ml) alone.

11-02-2003 16:20:42 | More by putnam
RoyalT

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Appearance – Scarily devoid of any head to speak of. The body is florescent orange and very clear.

Smell – Strong, floral hops with a big orange compliment. There’s some balancing malt as well making for a well-rounded aroma.

The sweetness is primarily tropical fruit. There’s a huge pineapple and orange melon aroma as well as smashed cocktail cherries. The malt is kind of bready and very solid. I swear this smells like a good Abbey Tripel.

Taste – This was rich and chewy like you wouldn’t believe. The orange malt flavor is big here, read Abbey Tripel again, with huge alcohol notes. The hops are lost in the madness.

The fruits from the nose are monstrous; almost overpowering. Mixed with the strong alcohol it’s like an Abbey Tripel cocktail. This lacks the subtle notes of the equally powerful World Wide Stout. This ale shamelessly flaunts its high ABV and style deviation.

Mouthfeel – No carbonation and somewhat smooth, all things considered. This ale is a behemoth in the mouth. Don’t drink this with a raw cut in the oral cavity. You could use this stuff to numb the gums for a root canal. The alcohol is overpowering in the mouth, which is too bad because there are some good flavors in here that get lost in the booze.

Drinkability – I wouldn’t recommend driving cross-country and sucking down a few of these bad boys. You have to take it real easy with this batch. I did my taste and gave the rest to the wife to finish.

10-31-2003 05:00:25 | More by RoyalT
AtLagerHeads

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

A bit over the top in most categories, this beer is less an IPA and more a barleywine in taste. Rather than belabor its high ABV let's just say that the body feel is a bit too thick and syrupy, the sweetness not balanced too well by the hops, and its drinkability very limited by all of these factors. I'll try again at some point to see if my sense of this beer changes.

10-26-2003 15:15:02 | More by AtLagerHeads
kevinl6

South Carolina

2.55/5  rDev -37.2%

This beer didn't really resemble an IPA IMO. Sure, the appearance was pretty good and the smell wasn't bad either. In fact, the smell was very fruity and citrus'y' with a nice warming effect on the nostrils from the alcohol. My hopes were high at this point. Mouthfeel was full and thick...again, not bad. Unfortuneately, that is where the average/good qualities of this beer ended for me. It tasted like a World Wide Light! Very malty and syrupy tasting. The somewhat pleasant fruity smell did not transfer to the taste. Drinkability, forget it. My bud and I split the 750ml, and were ready to be done with it before our glasses were even half empty. Curiosity of this beer's "gimmick" persuaded me to purchase it...and at $20, it was a big mistake.

10-25-2003 14:51:29 | More by kevinl6