120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Reviews: 2,154 | Hads: 7,596
4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle thanks to chadbrew
Poured aggresively into chalice and produced fantastic 1-2" head!! Copper in color with fluffy off-white head and slight carbonation. Aroma from the hops was not as prominent as I thought it would be. Oaky alcohol on the nose woth fruit. I was expecting an absolute hop bomb but it wasn't. Great citrus tones with a little grassiness to it. The maltiness balanced this beer so well. Very thick mouthfeel. Definately looking forward to the other bottle.

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This stuff really hit me. It is definitely more drinkable than the extra and a little stronger than the WWS. Drank a little cooler than room temp (probably around 55 degrees, not sure if this is the proper serving temp or not...I figured this was around correct since the Burton was best at that temp).
The appearance of the 120 was pleasing, very orangey (with a hint of red). Pour was smooth and produced a very sutble lace.
It has a very sweet, citrus-like bouquet, but the faint hint of alcohol is definitely there.
This stuff is strong and not for the faint of heart. The 90 is definitely more drinkable and the 60 is the optimal beer for first-time Dogfish Head drinkers, but the 120 is pretty solid all around. Props to the brewers.
The mouthfeel is very oily and the drinkability is very low on this one. Definitely a sipper.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured VERY aggressively into a large snifter and all I got was a one finger head of dense, off white foam that had lots of large wispy bubbles in it.

Smell is tougher for me to pin down though the alcohol is right up front. This seems somewhat bready and piney.

Taste is very sweet a little citrusy. The finish is all alcohol but even that seems ok. It is certainly only a sipping beer anyway.

Mouthfeel is thick but only a little syrupy. I'd say that's an accomplishment all it's own, considering the ABV of 21%.

Drinkability is a little less than I'd like to see. I thought WWS and Raison D'Extra were both VERY drinkable at 18% and 20% respectively so I was expecting more out of this one. All in all, I'm still pleased I have some to lay down for future tastings.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Served on tap in an 8 oz glass, this is a nice amber color with a thin white head, some decent lacing. Nose is a very strong citrusy hops, some floral notes, a sweet alcoholic undertone. Taste is a mix of burning alcohol and strong resinous citric and grapefruit hops. It's a little much, not nearly as enjoyable to drink as the 90. Full bodied with a slick oily mouthfeel, this one is definitely a sipper. This isn't nearly as drinkable as the WWS--I'm glad I tried this but don't think I will again.

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%

Finally got to try the big one. At $8.00 for a 12 ounce bottle and 21%ABV, not for the faint of heart. A pretty red/orange color with a medium head that quickly dissipated. All I could smell was sweet fruit and alcohol. The taste followed the odor: sweet,sweet fruit, alcohol, with a hops coming in later. A very thick, rich mouthfeel. I started with it chilled, let it sit, and finished it at room temperature. Definitely better at room temperature. I'd look at this as a dessert beer, and would figure that 6-12 ounces would be my limit.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Having had the 60 and 90 minute versions, I was eager to try the big daddy and was so glad I did.

This had a great concentrated orange color, with a thick head which thinned quickly. Again, probably more my glass than the beer.

I smelled all of the hoppiness I would have expected in what I think is a DIPA: citrus and pine, and an overally spiciness that bordered on red pepper (cayenne-ish), balanced by a hint of malt in the background.

The taste was exactly the opposite of what I expected. It was hugely sweet; sugar, sweet fruit with a tang (think pineapple). A massive concentrated sweetness of lighter sugars (not deep fruit like a British Brown Ale), with some hop presence on a spicier note, like pepper. It finished with a big alcohol warmth, but less "fumey" than I would expect.

On the mouthfeel, again, it was a big alcohol warmth after the mouth-caoting sweetness. I'd classify it as medium bodied; just a hint of thickness from the sweetness of the beer.

Overall, I'd drink it again. Just once though...21% is quite a haul if I want any other beers on that given day!

4.87/5  rDev +23%

ok, going into this not knowing what to expect, super hops, super alcohol, super good?

A - pours a tea brown, with a white head that thoroughly laces rather quickly

S - Hops, hops, and more hops! a great smell with citrusy aromas with slight twangs of alcohol, vodka-y alcohol aroma

T - WOW!!! velvety smoothness, like a liqueur, surprisingly sweet. Of course the expected hops explosion, but to me, it tastes very well-balanced. This is one of my top 3 beers of all time!

M - what can i say, like drinking syrup, has a thick mouth coating sweetness, but not overkill, ive never had a more extremely well-balanced beer

D - super high, the ABV is the only drawback, dont drink any more than a bottle of this stuff if youre driving.

btw, the price is the only detractor. but worth it, just not every day

well done DFH

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%

Sampled this beer many times , had some yesterday so figured i'd give my review. Served from a twelve ounce bottle into a snifter at cellar temperature .Poured a golden orange with very little head, but didn't pour too vigorously. The aroma was of hops , citrus fruits, and tons of alcohol. First taste was totally alcohol. The next was a little easier with a taste of hops, followed by more alcohol that left a little burn at the back of my throat. There is no hiding this alcohol. Had a nice full almost thick mouth feel. Not real drinkable but not bad to sit down and sip with dinner. Is definatley an EXTREME beer.

1.96/5  rDev -50.5%

OK, I know that this beer is meant to be strong, and it most certainly is, but when a beer has little taste other than that of alcohol, it ceases to be enjoyable. Dogfish has done a great job with the 60 minute IPA and even the 90 Minute IPA but the 120 Minute IPA is better left to those who are looking to get drunk and don't care about taste.

3.44/5  rDev -13.1%

Been sitting on this 12oz., vintage 2004 bottle for over a year now. Could have let it sit longer, but... what the hey!

Served in a snifter at cellar temperature.

A - Pours a slightly hazed bright orange-caramel color. An off-white head rises to about 1/2 inch at best (with a vigorous pour) and quickly dissapates as expected. Remaining bubbles are soapy and big, sticking together in a big clump. Lacing is sporadic, but noticeable.

S - Juicy sweet, nectar dripping fruitiness. Pineapples, peaches, apricots and pears. Kiwi fruits even. In lesser amounts, there is also a tinge of pine. Orange blossom honey.

T - Big big sweetness up front, but ambiguously sugary and without much discernible malt presence. In the middle, the alcohol makes a big isopropyl-style entrance. At the back of the throat, the fragrant west-coast hops become very prevalent, although not as punchy as the smell would have you believe it should be. As you swallow, you notice that your mouth becomes sucked dry of any lingering moisture and the alcohol leaves a slight burning in the back of the throat. Big, warm afterglow.

M - Very thick and syrupy with a hint of carbonation. The swallow is slick, but the alcohol keeps it from being smooth.

D - The main thing I kept thinking as I was writing this review is that the alcohol is unnecessarily strong. I feel that it knocks everything else out of balance. Good thing I was sharing the bottle with my sister, because I would not have been able to finish the bottle myself.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Received in trade with fdrich29. (Thanks Frank!) Bottled in 2004.

A: Poured into a snifter, forms a dark orange color with no head whatsoever. I know high-alcohol beers tend to have little head, but for my money an IPA should give me a nice foamy one for appearance -- a slight dock on appearance for that.

S: Very strong, clean and crisp hop presence on top, with a nice citrusy grapefruit and even an orange presence underneath. Yeah, it's really, really, hoppy, but the hops are wonderful here and the fruit, while not as extreme as in an Arrogant Bastard, is very nicely presented.

T: Heavy hops flavor (duh), crisp and intensely bitter with fresh hops, with strong orange flavor. As the beer warms, the 21% alcohol becomes more prominent, but this only adds to the complexity of this wonderful brew.

M: Excelptional. Heavily-carbonated and very hoppy, it's an assault on the palate that is very, very, good -- after finishing the beer I couldn't taste a thing. I've tried Stone Ruination, and this is even more intense than that -- really amazing mouthfeel.

D: My notes simply say "dangerously drinkable" and it's true. I had a 12oz bottle of this -- if I'd had a bomber, I'd have drunk that and enjoyed every drop. The alcohol is hidden here very well by the overall flavor of the beer, and I rejoiced at every sip.

I used to not like hops. Still don't, when the beer itself doesn't match its hop presence. But here, as in other really fantastically hoppy beers like Rogue I2PA and Arrogant Bastard, the hop presence is nicely balanced within a really great fruit profile, and the overall experience is amazingly textured and good. I guess I'm just a reluctant hophead, but I guess anyone who loves this beer as much as I can't be considered anything but a fan of the hop-bombs. I'll buy this instantly the next time I see it.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

2006 12oz bottle in a snifter
The beer poured a golden color with very little head and little carbonation ( as expected in such a high abv brew). Left nice lacing as the head settle very quickly into a thin white covering. I was disappointed with the smell of this beer. I was expecting a great hop smell, but the sweet smell over powered the hop smell. It smelled of candied sugar with a hint of hops and alcohol following. The beer (like the 90 Minute) first hit me with a overly sweet taste, and followed with a decent hop presence. Alcohol warming definitely is a flavor in the profile, but not as dramatic as I expected in such a high abv beer. I don't think this beer tasted like a DIPA, but more like a really sweet barleywine. The mouthfeel was medium to thick and really coated the tongue. The drinkability was good for such a high abv beer, but sweetness really detracted from the overall experience. This beer is not really my cup of tea, but it is interesting enought to atleast try if you get the chance.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Sunset orange with golden pink edges. Small, ephemeral, off-white head. Didn’t expect much head though. Rum-soaked fruit up the wazoo. Sharp, tangy malt sweetness. Hops and alcohol mix together in a slightly burning manner. Interesting, boozy (but not overly). Soft, sweet doppelbock-ish malt sweetness. Sugary, candy malts come through. Fruity (estery) alcohol floods the palate. Tropicalia pineapple, mango, pears. Brandy. Singed hop flavor and futile bitterness come in later. Warming, sweet and sticky finish (long). Thick, soft, syrupy, but not cloying. Dangerous.

3.88/5  rDev -2%

12 oz. bottle dated 2003. The last beer of our february MCD meeting. we saved it until the end because we didn't want to be totally smashed while we were tasting everything else. Poured reddish brown with a small white head. looks fine. Mild hop smell. smells sweet, too, like cane sugar. Taste is sweet, alcohol tasting. syrupy sweet hop flavor. thick consistency, like a hoppy brandy. Oh man, i dont know if i could drink even a whole bottle by myself. too much alcohol. it hit me fast, too. but other than that, pretty good. 60 and 90 are better.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

I don't know why I am doing this to myself, but here is sit in front of my second bottle of DFH120. I tried it before and didn't like it...which is no wonder because I am not a hop head. I like their 90 min IPA, but I remember this one being WAY over the top. I have had this particular bottle about a year in my fridge, so hopefully the real greenness has subsided a little bit.

Gulp! Here goes...

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy orangish brown color with a small 1/8” head at first pour that fell within a few seconds. There are a few bubbles rising slowly through the thick liquid, but these don't maintain the head. There is some thin lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: All I really get in the nose is a bunch of citrusy hops. There is a bit of a toasty/caramel-like sweetness in here, but the hops rule the day. As the beer warms a bit, you can pick out specifically oranges and grapefruits.

Taste: Wow, now there is a LOT going on in this beer. Granted, it is mostly hops, but there is certainly some serious alcohol in there to give them a run for their money. There is a bit of sweetness that you can pick up in the beginning of the sample, but this doesn’t last long. I believe that it is the alcohol that blows it away first before the hops step in and completely annihilate your palate. This one will clear your sinuses! You get about two sips where you can discern one flavor from the next, but after that the alcohol has pretty much numbed your senses. This beer goes down more like a Hop Schnapps than a beer. The middle of the flavor profile is muddled from all of the sensations, and leads straight into the finish. The finale is a syrupy hoppy goo that coats the throat and leaves some serious warming in its wake...a bit like I imagine eating a tablespoon of Ben Gay would be like. As it warms up some, the alcohol becomes more noticeable, but the overall flavor takes on more of an orange juice-like character.

Opinion: Well, what can I say about such an anomaly of beer? There should be a special category for these project beers so that you won't put them there with some of the more palatable products on the market. You can't knock Sam for producing this beer, and it takes talent to squeeze the yeast this hard...but this ain't no session beer! I was happier with it this sample than I was last time…this may have to do with the fact that I aged it for a year, but I think that I am just more appreciative of the stronger beers here lately as I too have made a few in the 1.200 OG range this last year.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer pours a slightly hazy apricot with a head consisting of a film of uneven bubbles.

Smells of a combo of metallic, earthy, pineapple and oaky hops with a little wheat and honey beneath, followed by a smooth and gentle alcohol.

The flavor is amazingly dynamic. Starts with a zesty sour that wraps around the edges of my tongue and the presents a green grape and honey sweetness. This is followed by a dry tingly concoction of earthy, pineapple, plumb and oaky hops. Finishes with a nice dirty sting of dryness

Mouth feel is thin but dense with a light and tingly carbonation.

I have to ask, “where did the alcohol go?”. DFH once again does an amazing job of burring an amazing amount of booze. Delicious!

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz. bottle with no vintage year, but it's the latest bottling as far as I know. It pours a very clear orangey/amber with a thin 1/8" off-white head that leaves some bits of lacing. Upon closer inspection it appears unfiltered and even has a few beads of carbonation. Overall, it looks much better than I expected for something of this strength, but it's nothing to rave about. It smells of gentle fruits/hops (citrus, apricot), alcohol, and lots of sweetness. The taste is very sweet as well, with a dose of caramel, perhaps some smoke, and a good amount of fruits (orange, apricot). It is pretty bitter, yes, but... 120 IBUs? It's all hidden by the intense sweetness of the malts, which is also evident in the almost syrupy mouthfeel - it's one of the thickest beers I've come across. Also one of the most warming. Each sip feels like I just drank a liqueur, but I suppose it is as strong as some cordials. Not sure if I'd classify as a double IPA, as the malts seem to take the forefront here, and at times, the 120 reminds me of a barley wine. Apparently many reviewers here feel the same way. Too over the top I'd say, though not a bad beer. I'd like to see them tone the malts down some and let the IBUs come through. Not sure if I'd buy it again, but I'd drink it again if it were offered.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

This beer pours a cloudy orange. The thin white head fades fast, leaving very few laces.

This beer has a slightly malty aroma. I am slightly surprised by that. The hops are not nearly as powerful as I thought. The alcohol content is present in the aroma. This beer smells more like a Barley Wine than a Double IPA.

This beer tastes more like a Barley Wine than a Double IPA also. It is very sweet. It has a malty flavor. The hops are there, for sure, but not the main flavor I am getting. The alcohol content is very present in the flavor.

This beer is very sweet and syrupy. It has very full bodied. The alcohol warms the throat as it goes down. The beer leaves a sticky sweet aftertaste. It is not very carbonated.

I dont think this beer would make a good session beer at all. It is way to high in alcohol. Also, the flavor is quite aggressive. I am still curious by the flavor. This beer is way more like a Barley Wine than anything else. I think this one is just a little over the top.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep copper color that's clear. No head really, only medium carbonation appears. The smell is fairly hoppy, with citrus aroma, only partially alcoholic considering the ABV on this one. The taste is very dry. The citrus flavor is stronger and tastes like tangerines. More hop flavor also. The alcohol taste is quite strong, but not enough to ruin it. It does burn the back of the throat slightly. You can certainly feel the alcohol peeking into the bloodstream. The mothfeel is slightly thin, perhaps because there's so much alcohol, carbonation is medium. This one is definitely a sipper. Not highly drinkkable, but a unique brew to enjoy on a special occasion with friends perhaps. I'm glad I got to try it...

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Clear copper in color, poured with about a half finger of off-white head. Slowly rising carbonation. Noticing the fruity sweetness first in the aroma. The clean grassy hop aroma with some pine undertones is strong, but not overpowering. Wow, what a huge beer. I'm not even sure how to describe this. Almost a hoppy port? The sweetness stands out, mostly fruity. Raisins, plums, grapes... This is a big, sticky, chewy beer. Good God, there is no way this is 21% ABV. A beer that big just should not be this drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA pours a burgundy red with a moderate white head. The head is very thick, not in height, but in amount of bubbles….if that makes any sense. It looks very creamy. The bubbles are very small and compact they leave good lacing. It smells of hops, did you expect me not to say it? It has a very floral aroma with breads, tropical fruits and just a hint of caramel underlying. Of course there is an alcohol smell to it but if you didn’t see that one coming from around the corner then you need to step off of the short bus.

WOW! There is sooo much going on here. Well, firstly, it is a little syrupy and viscous. Sticky! There is really a nice balance of malt, hops and alcohol here. It has a nice sweet, fruity taste. The alcohol isn’t overpowering, surprisingly. Mouthfeel is really excellent. Although it is slightly thicker than I typically prefer, it is nice. It coats the mouth and feels chewy. Good carbonation. Not too much though; I was afraid that there was going to be a ridiculous amount of carbonation in this one.

At the outset of this endeavor, I went into it with an idea of what this beer was. I thought that it was a novelty of sorts. I was wrong. It isn’t overpowering and has plenty going on. I thought that I was going to be getting myself into a bottle of pancake syrup with lots of burning alcohol. Again, I was wide of the mark. I am impressed. I paid about $9 per bottle, but it was worth it. It was tasty, enjoyable and entertaining. I am anxious to cellar the other bottles. I rate the drinkability at 4.0 due to the fact that it is about 21% abv and about $9 a bottle. That means that I can only drink a couple of them before I am piss ass drunk AND broke.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

On tap at the Blue Dog Pub...
Appears an amber color with a small white head that retains nicely and sticks around the glass with solid webbing and lace.
Smell is of intense sugary malt with tons, and tons, and tons of hop varieties. I'm getting rich biscuit, bread, followed by massive amounts of pine, citrus, grapefruit, orange, pineapple.
Taste is equal to the aromas in terms of intensity. To me, this is really the 90 minute stepped up a notch but it's a little harder to handle due to the high abv and intense flavors.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, sugary, bitter, and bread-like chewy.
Drinkability is good. This certainly didn't come across as being a 21% abv in the chalice but I was feeling it by the end of the chalice.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle. No ABV listed on the label, just two words in bold lettering.. "AGES WELL." Somehow, I believe them.

Clear orange color with a small, tight head of bubbles that erodes to a whispy haze after a minute or two. The aroma is hefty pale malt and a floral hop background.. can't believe it doesn't smell hoppier than this. I expected my nostrils to be permanently damaged after smelling this. Taste is...surprisingly (dare I say) malty? The 90 Minute IPA "seemed" hoppier, although there's no doubt in my mind that the 120 had more hops in in. The gigantic malt and alcohol helped mask the brutal hops quite a bit...but not completely. Oily mouthfeel and thick, syrupy texture. Very drinkable for a 20+% ABV monster.

This is one creation by DFH that is even a bit extreme as far as "extreme" beers go. A nice one to try, but the high-price tag (around $8 for me) make this a beer that is saved (or cellared) for special occasions or to try once or twice. I couldn't imagine drinking this on a regular basis. An interesting and unique beer, that turned out to be much more malty than I could have possibly expected.

2.19/5  rDev -44.7%

I am drinking a cold 12 oz poured into an Appalachian Brewing Co. tumbler.

Appearance: An auburn colored ale, this poured with a nice head and kept a residual amount of lace as the beer was consumed. It is translucent, with no sediment.

Smell: There are some light hop oils that I detect, but for the most part, I smell malts, lots and lots of malts, akin to a barleywine. For the beer advertised as the Holy Grail for Hopheads, this is more like the Messiah of Malts.

Taste: As with the smell, malts overwhelm any hop sensations throughout the sip. At the end of the sip, a bitterness of hops appears, but it is not sufficient to redeem this DIPA. On the bright side, the GIGANTIC, ENORMOUS, GINORMOUS ABV of approx 21% is not detectable.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel lacks any hop profile, which is disapoointing, as the 90 Minute IPA is a work of art. The malts sit nicely on the palate, but that is not typical of a DIPA.

Drinkability: The drinkability is redeemed by the masking of the ABV. One does not realize the high ABV when enjoying it, although that can easily get one in trouble.

Overall, this is an interesting creation from DFH. I enjoy the ale and recommend it. The low scores result from my attempt to review within the DIPA style.

appearance: The pour into the snifter creates a .2" white head that partially recedes, and then persists as a bottom-fed thin layer with some aggregate clumps of bubbles. The beer is a light amber in color.

smell: A moderate presence of light fruits and caramel from the malt. Definately picking up a considerable ethanol sharpness. The hop aroma is not as large as I had expected, but is big nonetheless...and is mostly aroma and little bitter smell. The smell is reminiscent of the hop material that I filter out of my homebrew batches while pouring into primary...somewhat tealike and a little grassy. I feel as though I am picking up some hints of scuppernong grapes and honey...this one smells pretty sweet.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is at the peak of the medium range. The body is slick and on the heavier side of the medium range. Though it feels thick, something about it makes it seem lighter than one would think.

taste: Sticky sweet caramel, white grape, and clover honey notes. Big hop flavor, but not much bitterness. Moderate alcohol presence...pretty well hidden, actually. Finish is of a red appley sweetness and a light bitterness.

drinkability: Shite, I had no idea this was a 21% beer until I got toward the end of my review...very well disguised. Highly drinkability, considering both the style and the ABV.

Split a 12 oz. bottle with dirtylou on the last night of my stay. We've been pining to try this beer since the beginning of our beer enlightenment period...this has truly been a "momentous moment". This one kind of threw me for a loop. There was a pretty big hop aroma and flavor, but the bitter/sharp/acidic characteristic both in the nose and on the tongue was low. Very low for a DIPA. I assume that primarily low AA hops were used, but who knows.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery