120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,107 | Hads: 7,369
4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

On tap at TPH 10/31/05 (boo).

This is a very good beer. It was poured into a DFH snifter. There was a decent head, and it was a nice amber. It smelled exclusively of medicinal alcohol. In a way, I almost wish it were served out of an over sized shot glass or even a highball glass, to eliminate the offensive smell. The taste, however, was incredible. It was both extremely sweet and bitter from the hops which was a cool mix. In addition, there was a mild citrus flavor to compliment the hops. It was delicious going down...I could drink this all night. Its drinkability is on par with a strong barleywine, and is much better then any 42 proof liquor. This is one mean beer. (678 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +19.1%

Wow, here it is, finally. I couldn't find this anywhere, but they had it at Caliente in Richmond, so a buddy and I split it, 6 ounces a piece.

Appearance: Not much head or lacing, but with the sweetness and high ABV%, it's to be expected

Smell: Fresh green hops more than a field of flowers, so to speak. Some orange as the citrus. Very very nice, very strong, and some sweetness shows through also.

Taste: Insanely well done for this type of brew. Initial burst of sweetness, thick sweetness, but there's so much hoppiness to it that it balances out. It's almost barley wine caliber, though a sweet barley wine more than a crazily hopped version, but the balance is incredible. There's a honey-like sweetness that comes through, which makes sense, and some sweet orange zest, not lemon so much, but I can definitely discern the orange flavor. The reason this works seems to be from the extremes -- so much alcohol, so much sweetness, but the nutty process of hopping makes it a fantastic experiment and a singularly beautiful brew. A success on all accounts: this one takes you to great places, and it's a beer like none other.

Mouthfeel: Thick, creamy, silky, low carbonation (with the high ABV% and sweetness). Certainly a treat.

Drinkability: Share this with a friend, as I did. It's surely a must, though I could've finished the bottle with at least an hour to do it. An amazing beer, and I'll be looking for a case ASAP to cellar and enjoy on special occasions, and of course winter also. Try it for sure if you can. (1,540 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

Wow. The beer pours a cloudy amber with virtually no head. The bouquet was extremely intense hops and a slight hint of fruits.The taste was of hops first and foremost; what I expect from an IPA but ended very smooth and relatively sweet. There was a bit of carbonation to begin with, but it died down after a few minutes. As it warmed, subtle flavors of citrus(namely orange) and honey came out, giving a very pleasant creamy mouthfeel and overall excellent beer experience. This was extrememly well balanced for 21% alcohol; you hardly notice it. If you like IPA and care to try a VERY strong, VERY good flavorful variety, check this one out. (643 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -38%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

12 0z bottle. cost me $8.65

Appearance- copper brown with a thin white head.
Smell- sweet. Cherries with some mild pine hops. Was hoping for strong bitter hops but no!
Taste- sickeningly sweet cherry cough syrup. Aftertaste has a slight bitter hop flavor but is overpowered by the high alcohol.
Mouthfeel- sugary sweet but otherwise soothing like a robitussin is!

Overall- a huge disappointment. Too sugary, too sweet. I am not a fan of sugary fruit beer. This beer is comparible to Samiclaus. Bleeech. I wish I could get my money back. (576 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%

I'm not a great fan of IPAs. I've enjoyed them in the past, but they are not something I seek out. This, however, is a DIPA and my first.

I've never sought this beast out even though it gets written up a lot. I've had their 60 minute IPA, and to be honest it was too hoppy. I cannot imagine the 90 minute IPA. The 120 was something I was afraid to even think of. Tonight is the first time I ever saw it at a store. I had to get it even for $6.99 for a 12 oz bottle. I had some excitement to have such a highly praised brew.

Appearance: decent, dark amber color. I poured lightly so not much of a head, but a little head present contains lacing (impressive amount of lace).

Smell: hmmm....soap. As intense hop smell as any I've ever smelt. So much so, that my excitement faded a bit thinking it would taste like every other IPA. I do enjoy the smell of hoppy beers, I just generally don't like the flavors very much.

After a few drinks I started to notice some sweet maple scents. Not bad, very interesting.

Taste: unexpected....totally unexpected. Not sure how to describe, so I shall use stream of conscience for it. Very sweet. Almost like a Belgian dubel in sweetness. Smoky caramel with maple syrup. Medicine flavor. The medicine is the only trace of alcohol I can pick up. For such an extremely high alcohol content, I've never had something so balanced. Too sweet, too syrupy.

Mouthfeel: full bodied....not much carbonation. Syrupy...every much so.

Drinkabilty: I poured half a 12 oz bottle in a small glass...I'm through about 3/4ths of it and feel like I've been kicked in the ass. Not very drinkable.

Notes: I'm impressed with this. Not sure I like it so much, but I'm impressed. It is very complex, extremely complex. The complexity is what makes me give it a 4 for taste. My initial take on drinkabilty is 2.5, but after thinking about it I'll give it a 3.0 because I want to try this again, just not right now.

I'm interested in reviewing this again. (1,992 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +23%

This is still not legal in NC (at 21%, we may never get it here, unless we bootleg). We got it shipped in from Mass. by a friend (a friend with 120 is a friend indeed).

WOW!

a: It is a wonderfull color, but the head doesn't last. With the alcohol content, you wouldn't expect to have the head last long. Also, very slight carbonation.

S: VERY HOPPY! Which makes me hoppy, I mean happy. Excellant!

T: Again, VERY HOPPY! Most wonderful experience.

M: Very BIG beer.

D: The only thing that holds back the drinkability is the ABV. At 21%, you can't drink a lot of it (or you will pay for it in more ways than the hip pocket). (639 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Presentation:

2004 vintage 12 oz. bottle purchased by me from DFH brewpub in Rehoboth in August 2005 decanted into a snifter-type wine glass in October 2005.

Appearance:

A muddy looking cloudy ruby-orange in color. It looks like a considerable amount of yeast in suspension even though this bottle has been sitting untouched for several months.

Lots of carbonation is visible in the glass at first, with hundreds of tiny bubbles clinging to the bottom of the glass and then rising up the sides.

Smell:

This beer is an olfactory delight. An amazing sweet citrusy aroma assaults the nose. The faintest hint of smoke and ultimately a crisp alcohol note round out the smell.

Mouthfeel and Taste:

Big and thick on the tongue, surprising for an IPA. The bitterness is there but the balance leans more towards the malt. The citrusy hops in the nose are almost completely drowned out in the mouth.

The citrus fruit theme does still continue on the tongue, but now it's a darker flavor. I'm tasting a bitter orange flavor like a rind. The alcohol is a pronounced but not unfavorable flavor component. This beer tastes like an orange-flavored dark rum (if there ever was such a thing.)

Drinkability:

My God! There is about a half inch of liquid left in the glass and I'm having trouble focusing on my monitor as I write this. A little hint: watch out for that 21% ABV. I guess as an alcohol delivery vehicle this would be about the same as shotgunning four or five [insert crappy mass-produced beer name here] in a half an hour.

So drinkability then, except for the falling down on the floor part I could probably drink these all night. The beer is super smooth and tastes quite good. Unfortunately my glass is empty and that means its time to wrap this up.

Endnotes:

This is a huge, full-bodied beer. The sugary sweetness was a surprise.
My wife's take on this beer: smells like brown sugar with rubbing alcohol in it. I'll agree with the brown sugar reference, this beer leaves a caramelized sugar stickiness wherever it goes. Big Citrus in the nose gives way to that sweet sugary goodness in the mouth and finishes with that "Holy Crap I'm Drunk Now" warm feeling in the belly.

Final Verdict on DFH 120 Minute:

Well worth the ten dollars I had to part with to acquire it. Sam Calagione...I love you man! (2,347 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

12 ounce brown glass bottle poured into duvel tulip. Aged two and a half years.

A - A very nice dark amber orange color with a thin white head that dissapates quickly. It's the color of a new penny (the beer obviously, not the head) now that I lood at it. Tons of lacing is already sticking to the glass.

S - A nice caramel aroma, along with some piney hops. A touch of alcohol could be felt as I inhaled as well.

T - Tastes like sweet caramel on the first sip. I'm picking up the candy corn flavor that I've seen others talk about. I detect a tiny hop presence, of course I expected none at all after two years, and an alcoholic kick. A distinct taste, one of those that I'm not sure if I like but can't stop sipping.

M - Very smooth, not much carbonation as can be expected but it feels nice on the tungue and has some alcohol warming that rolls right down into your gut.

D - Obviously a sipper, with the high alcohol content and sweetness, but not as rough to drink as I expected.

Notes: Glad I gave this one a try, don't know how often I'll go for this one but it is definitely an experience. I have a younger bottle which I'm curious to try to see if the hops are more present ( not tonight of course or I'll be falling over myself.) (1,256 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +13%

2004:
Clear burnt orange colour topped by a dense, cream head that was speckled with a few large bubbles. Nice lacing from beginning to end and fine foam remained righ through to the finish. The aroma was a good balance of caramel and toasted maltiness, warm alcohol, and rich American hops (mostly pine) that were never quite aggressive. Big, caramel malt flavour kicks things off, and the alcohol warmth begins at the midpoint. This is also where the hops pick up, starting with pine and changing to orange/citrus towards the finish. Great balance. Full, viscous body that's just short of syrupy. Medium dry finish from the bountiful hop resin. Considering the gravity, this is a highly drinkable beer that wasn't cloying or out of balance. Very enjoyable. (759 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +12.5%

2004 Vintage I believe. Pours a crystal clear orange, big white head forms and never leaves, tons of lace, one of the prettiest beers I've ever seen. Smell is piney caramel and alcohol, very strong but smells great. Taste is caramel, pine, some citrus, and a little bit of alcohol. The mouthfeel is amazingly thick, low carbonation, very warming from the throat on down, slight alcohol burn. The warming/burn is really the only alcohol presence you get, besides the fact thatr 6 oz will give you a mean buzz. Very surprisingly drinkable, it was a shame to see the end of the glass. Very underrated in my opinion, this beer is a feat. Good on you for the pickup DrJay. (667 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +12%

2003 vintage

clear orangey-red with some yellow around the edges. force-generated foam subsides quickly leaving a mess of lacing all over the glass.

nose is subtle explosiveness... begins with peach and wood.. follows through with a sweet-and-sour age quality. malt comes in, representing smooth caramel and possess a nice hop balance. smoky, like a barleywine. not overly frightening.

juicy taste.. great medium thickness and silky texture. rolls right down the throat. the age is present here but subtle.. good conditions, i guess. orange, cherries and candy corn dominate the flavor, and the hop kick is remarkably still very present in the finish. even with two years and a multitude of sucrosial layers, a certain grassiness still exists. proof positive that alcohol is a preservative. abv is most noticeable as a warming sensation in the stomach, and the fire definitely builds up down there. this is much more drinkable than it should be.

this isn't really a double ipa, it's more of a strong ale. i can put away hercules like nobody's business, this thing is a digestif at best. take it carefully and enjoy every sip- you won't regret spending some time with the humongous dogfish. (1,201 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11%

I loved this beer. If you like hoppy, this is one of the hoppiest. A strong IPA with great taste that compliments the hops but it doesn't finish overly bitter. It has hints of orange and a woodsy feel to it.

I can't wait for the 2005 batch in October. (254 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was lucky enough to procure this on a trip to Three Floyds, at the nearby Liquor Stop in Highland, Indiana. I believe this bottle cost $8.50, and was able to snag one of their last ones.

A: I poured my 12 oz bottle into an oversized wine glass. A penny copper tone is the IPA, and the head rises fashionably late, almost delinquent compared to other beers. The head is thin, but a holy white that sparkles.

S: I smell apricots and a slight hint of peaches that shelter the smell of alcohol very well. I thought with this Double IPA having 20% alcohol that it would be a lot stronger.

T: The taste of apricots with a hint of walnut is what this drink reminds me of at first taste, then it transforms into a strong Sherry taste, very sweet. The after taste has a bit of hops, that gets slightly overwhelmed by the strength of the alcohol, despite this I find the taste very fascinating. It also has a nice sweet spice to this, reminds me of the spicy sweetness sauce found in the Korean Dish of Bi Bim Bop. Not sure what it is called, off hand

M: Is thick and wet, only allows the drinker to only take quick hitting sips.

D: With only wanting to take shy sips of this I cannot put the drinkabilty that high, but I do enjoy the sips I do take of it.

I am not the biggest fan of beers with high alcoholic content, but I really enjoy this one. The sweet taste of it is savory, and reminds me of drinking a huge glass of port wine. (1,445 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

2005 bottle, no date marked, and couldn't wait past the 3 months I had it, in a tulip glass.

Clear gold-copper body with bubbles rising upward, topped with a one-finger off-white head that retains nicely and permanently, though lacing is weak. Nose is caramel with fragrant florals and a more subtle citrus hop, nicely balanced.

Light carbonation in a thin but refreshing body, caramel sweetness and biscuits overpowering whatever bitterness there is supposed to be in here, resulting in IBUs perceived as much lower than the 90-minute. Goes down with a rush of piney spice and activity, the first time with a nice warmth, subsequently the spice alone. Lingers satisfyingly.

Not as hoppy as I expected, nor as it should be, a little on the sweet side. Alcohol is masked very well, and quite drinkable. Ended up sipping it though, not really sessionable. Can't really compare it to the 90 or 60, either, as the purposes are totally different. With that said, saving the rest for special occasions, and probably will cellar it "for a decade or so" as the label suggests. (1,079 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%

A golden ale with hig carbonation and a stichy white head. Malty sweet, resiny hop, alcoholic aroma. Kinds of a bicuty flavor. The 120 IBUs are not very detectable. Neith is the 21% abv for that matter. I can’t tell much difference between 120 and 90. (252 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a descent golden color. The head is off-white and minimal. The smell is just awful, such that your head may recoil out of fear. The taste was not much better than the smell, the unmasked alcohol was not pleasant. The mouthfell was thick and sticky sweet. Not recommended, But if you are adventurous... (307 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had to try this on tap while at the brewpub. I didn't really like the bottle versions I have had as they were way too cloy. However, this is an entirely different beer on tap. The pour is lush orange toped with a lovely white head. The carbonation and the freshness really brings out the hops in the nose, full of heavy floral hops citrus, piney. The alcohol comes through with a heavy handed sweet malt smell. The taste is something else, full hop attack is quickly diminished as the malt sweetness takes over and the alcohol finishes and the aftertaste lingers on and on. The malt flavors are like a brandy a little sherry, also some full caramel tastes. All in all much beter on tap but still a sipper as there are many flavors to go through in this beer @20%. (765 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

This brew is gold to light amber in color. It builds a spectacular white head about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. The head drops to about 1/4" thick cover, but it never disappears. It sticks to and covers the sides of the glass, and looks wonderful. High appearance score is mostly because of beautiful white head.

The moment I opened the bottle I knew that the smell would be 5. I love hops, and I cannot ask for more from the aroma. Hops, hops and more hops. I feel grapefruit and some orange. Very aromatic.

The taste is a bit of a let down. The hops disappear behind sweet maltness and high alcohol. Mouthfeel is full and very syrupy. The finish is too sweet for such a hoppy beer. Alcohol is very smooth. I would've never guessed that it's 20% ABV. I think this is about as strong a beer as I am ready to except. Maybe a little bit of an overkill.

"The holy grail for hopheads"? Probably not, but aroma was beautiful and sipping it made for a very pleasurable experience. Hence, high marks from me. I'll keep it in my cellar for when the mood strikes.

The beer is presented in a brown 12 oz bottle with no freshness, brewed on or best before date. I would like to say that I do enjoy a very simple, easy on the eyes design of the label. (1,249 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

'03 vintage 12 oz. bottle split with cmaruschak into a snifter.

Appearance: Crystal clear honey pour with golden straw edging. A small, tight, dish soapy looking ivory head forms. The head doesn't last long and there is minimal carbonation which I would expect for this high ETOH monster.

Smell: Alcohol...rum soaked dark fruits, almost burning on the nose. Very English Barleywine-esque. Maybe port-like in smell with burnt sugars dominating throughout. How this smells like a double IPA? I don't know.

Taste: Good gawd. Malty almost cloying sweetness. Brown sugar notes, ice wine, honey, dried dark fruits, with a metallic finish. Amazingly, the alcohol is hidden nicely. This tastes like no IPA I've had before. I don't know if it's b/c of the age of this beer but I taste no hop presence at all. This continues to be more reminiscent of a barley wine.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a light syrupy feel.

Drinkability: I'm glad I split this. I was barely able to finish the shared sample. Nothing is off here but this is a sipper for sure. It pushes the envelope and I have to give DFH credit for that. There are many beers with smaller ABV's that can blend flavor and ETOH like DFH does. Still, I can't imagine making this one a regular by any means. Worth a try I suppose. (1,292 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: Lighter amber colored body with a little cloudiness. Off white sea foam-like head. Very sexy head. Kind of disappointed that it didn't have any sort of date on the bottle so I'd know how old it is. And the bottle looks much different than the posted one.

Smell: sort of a citrusy, piney, grape-like hop smell reaches my nose just as soon as I open the bottle.

Taste: Well it is very much hopped indeed. Not quite past my tolerance level though. Incredibly sweet alcohol...something like good russian vodka. Hops are very grape-like and a hint of cedar.

Mouthfeel: mouth warming...throat warming...stomach warming...alcoholic but no burn or irritation. Not overwhelming especially for 40 proof. The beer is also astringent, but no more than I'd expect.

Drinkability: How drinkable can it be? you might ask? Hopped to hell and extremely high gravity--but done in such a way to make it an easy drink for the hop head in me. The real question is probably whether it is worth the hefty price. I can't buy it everyday, but it is still worth a try. (1,065 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

I was going to save this for a special occasion, but I figure today is special enough. Pours out more like a normal pale ale than I expected, clear copper body, with very minimal carbonation, but has a head that lingers longer than I expected. The nose hides the ABV very well, I just smell huge hops, quite impressive.

The taste is a through and through hop bonanza. Huge bitter, unrelenting, punishing in some respects. The alcohol adds to the intensely sharp flavors this beer has in store for the consumer. 21%? Yeah, but extremely drinkable for being stronger than some hard alcohol. Wow, DFH, keep it up.

A very huge thanks and dumptruck full of beer karma to Twilight for the awesome sample. (704 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not much head but lasting ok and amberbrown beer. Nose is very much hops; citrussy and a nice sharp maltnote. Alcohol and some sweeter malt in the back but alltogether a very fresh and good nose. Taste is IMO overdone on many occasions. Too sweet, heavy and bitter witch dominate the whole taste. Some maltyness there but mostly sweet& bitter. One that would do good on a clear and sunny cold day after a long walk with my dog but to sticky for me now. (452 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -38%

Single bottle 12 oz – 2004. From bottle shop in Boston. Served cold, at about 58 degrees.

Pours a light golden with hints of amber. Looks like a fairly average beer in it’s body – not like most other DIPA’s I’ve made or tasted. Decent lacing, small head.

Good strong smell of hops in the nose, but overpowering all else is the waft of alcohol. Wow! Yes, it is 20%, and yes, you can sense it coming. Very unlike the WWS, which I thought hid the abv well in both the nose and the taste.

Ok, the taste – if this were meant to be a barleywine or a brandy, I’d give it higher marks. I felt like I was drinking grain alcohol mixed with beer. Syrup texture belies the look of the beer, and the sweet residual taste brings much more alcohol (yes, MORE) but not much of a hops finish. Disappointing in that regard. As it warmed, more flavors became apparent - took me 2.5 hours to finish this 12 oz beer - and there was a nuance or two that came forward but nothing that made me think it was better 2.5 hours later.

I do not think I would purchase another bottle at this price point. I do especially like the 90 min IPA, but find the 60 and the 120 lacking in different respects. For me DFH is very hit and miss for my palate. (1,236 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Vintage 2004

This is the type of beer that defines extreme! It pours copperish with little head and almost no carbonation. Thick and sticky, sweet mouthfeel, makes you sip it from start to finish.

The taste is not hoppy like one would imagine, but more of a malty sweet syrup. The alcohol warms, but does not overpower even with a 20% abv. There are tones of brandy. A great brew that is a must try! (406 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -34.2%

Purchased single bottle of 2004 batch from Martignetti's (about $10). Waited many months to crack this baby open.

Appearance = Good looking semi transparent light golden amber. Not as thick as I would have imagined. Minimal head but respectable lacing.

Smell = Hops hops hops but loaded with alchol also. A bit overwhelming and smells like the taste won't hide the alcohol in the least.

Taste = It's a little too much for me. The alcohol is VERY intense all the way thorugh. There's a peculiar, disturbing salty taste that hits you upfront and lasts for a bit. This is definitely a slow sipping beer. It could use more flavor. I wish there was more of a cirtus flavor as with the 90 minute. Aftertaste doesn't give you much, just a lot more alcohol. Very syrupy tasting, nearly like a strong liquor.

Overall = After loving the 60 and 90 minute IPAs, I'm very disappointed with the 120 minute, especially give its price. It just doesn't really do it for me in the taste department. (994 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery