120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,144 | Hads: 7,514
4.17/5  rDev +5.6%

Received in trade with fdrich29. (Thanks Frank!) Bottled in 2004.

A: Poured into a snifter, forms a dark orange color with no head whatsoever. I know high-alcohol beers tend to have little head, but for my money an IPA should give me a nice foamy one for appearance -- a slight dock on appearance for that.

S: Very strong, clean and crisp hop presence on top, with a nice citrusy grapefruit and even an orange presence underneath. Yeah, it's really, really, hoppy, but the hops are wonderful here and the fruit, while not as extreme as in an Arrogant Bastard, is very nicely presented.

T: Heavy hops flavor (duh), crisp and intensely bitter with fresh hops, with strong orange flavor. As the beer warms, the 21% alcohol becomes more prominent, but this only adds to the complexity of this wonderful brew.

M: Excelptional. Heavily-carbonated and very hoppy, it's an assault on the palate that is very, very, good -- after finishing the beer I couldn't taste a thing. I've tried Stone Ruination, and this is even more intense than that -- really amazing mouthfeel.

D: My notes simply say "dangerously drinkable" and it's true. I had a 12oz bottle of this -- if I'd had a bomber, I'd have drunk that and enjoyed every drop. The alcohol is hidden here very well by the overall flavor of the beer, and I rejoiced at every sip.

I used to not like hops. Still don't, when the beer itself doesn't match its hop presence. But here, as in other really fantastically hoppy beers like Rogue I2PA and Arrogant Bastard, the hop presence is nicely balanced within a really great fruit profile, and the overall experience is amazingly textured and good. I guess I'm just a reluctant hophead, but I guess anyone who loves this beer as much as I can't be considered anything but a fan of the hop-bombs. I'll buy this instantly the next time I see it.

2006 12oz bottle in a snifter
The beer poured a golden color with very little head and little carbonation ( as expected in such a high abv brew). Left nice lacing as the head settle very quickly into a thin white covering. I was disappointed with the smell of this beer. I was expecting a great hop smell, but the sweet smell over powered the hop smell. It smelled of candied sugar with a hint of hops and alcohol following. The beer (like the 90 Minute) first hit me with a overly sweet taste, and followed with a decent hop presence. Alcohol warming definitely is a flavor in the profile, but not as dramatic as I expected in such a high abv beer. I don't think this beer tasted like a DIPA, but more like a really sweet barleywine. The mouthfeel was medium to thick and really coated the tongue. The drinkability was good for such a high abv beer, but sweetness really detracted from the overall experience. This beer is not really my cup of tea, but it is interesting enought to atleast try if you get the chance.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Sunset orange with golden pink edges. Small, ephemeral, off-white head. Didn’t expect much head though. Rum-soaked fruit up the wazoo. Sharp, tangy malt sweetness. Hops and alcohol mix together in a slightly burning manner. Interesting, boozy (but not overly). Soft, sweet doppelbock-ish malt sweetness. Sugary, candy malts come through. Fruity (estery) alcohol floods the palate. Tropicalia pineapple, mango, pears. Brandy. Singed hop flavor and futile bitterness come in later. Warming, sweet and sticky finish (long). Thick, soft, syrupy, but not cloying. Dangerous.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

12 oz. bottle dated 2003. The last beer of our february MCD meeting. we saved it until the end because we didn't want to be totally smashed while we were tasting everything else. Poured reddish brown with a small white head. looks fine. Mild hop smell. smells sweet, too, like cane sugar. Taste is sweet, alcohol tasting. syrupy sweet hop flavor. thick consistency, like a hoppy brandy. Oh man, i dont know if i could drink even a whole bottle by myself. too much alcohol. it hit me fast, too. but other than that, pretty good. 60 and 90 are better.

4.07/5  rDev +3%

I don't know why I am doing this to myself, but here is sit in front of my second bottle of DFH120. I tried it before and didn't like it...which is no wonder because I am not a hop head. I like their 90 min IPA, but I remember this one being WAY over the top. I have had this particular bottle about a year in my fridge, so hopefully the real greenness has subsided a little bit.

Gulp! Here goes...

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy orangish brown color with a small 1/8” head at first pour that fell within a few seconds. There are a few bubbles rising slowly through the thick liquid, but these don't maintain the head. There is some thin lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: All I really get in the nose is a bunch of citrusy hops. There is a bit of a toasty/caramel-like sweetness in here, but the hops rule the day. As the beer warms a bit, you can pick out specifically oranges and grapefruits.

Taste: Wow, now there is a LOT going on in this beer. Granted, it is mostly hops, but there is certainly some serious alcohol in there to give them a run for their money. There is a bit of sweetness that you can pick up in the beginning of the sample, but this doesn’t last long. I believe that it is the alcohol that blows it away first before the hops step in and completely annihilate your palate. This one will clear your sinuses! You get about two sips where you can discern one flavor from the next, but after that the alcohol has pretty much numbed your senses. This beer goes down more like a Hop Schnapps than a beer. The middle of the flavor profile is muddled from all of the sensations, and leads straight into the finish. The finale is a syrupy hoppy goo that coats the throat and leaves some serious warming in its wake...a bit like I imagine eating a tablespoon of Ben Gay would be like. As it warms up some, the alcohol becomes more noticeable, but the overall flavor takes on more of an orange juice-like character.

Opinion: Well, what can I say about such an anomaly of beer? There should be a special category for these project beers so that you won't put them there with some of the more palatable products on the market. You can't knock Sam for producing this beer, and it takes talent to squeeze the yeast this hard...but this ain't no session beer! I was happier with it this sample than I was last time…this may have to do with the fact that I aged it for a year, but I think that I am just more appreciative of the stronger beers here lately as I too have made a few in the 1.200 OG range this last year.

4.52/5  rDev +14.4%

This beer pours a slightly hazy apricot with a head consisting of a film of uneven bubbles.

Smells of a combo of metallic, earthy, pineapple and oaky hops with a little wheat and honey beneath, followed by a smooth and gentle alcohol.

The flavor is amazingly dynamic. Starts with a zesty sour that wraps around the edges of my tongue and the presents a green grape and honey sweetness. This is followed by a dry tingly concoction of earthy, pineapple, plumb and oaky hops. Finishes with a nice dirty sting of dryness

Mouth feel is thin but dense with a light and tingly carbonation.

I have to ask, “where did the alcohol go?”. DFH once again does an amazing job of burring an amazing amount of booze. Delicious!

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

12 oz. bottle with no vintage year, but it's the latest bottling as far as I know. It pours a very clear orangey/amber with a thin 1/8" off-white head that leaves some bits of lacing. Upon closer inspection it appears unfiltered and even has a few beads of carbonation. Overall, it looks much better than I expected for something of this strength, but it's nothing to rave about. It smells of gentle fruits/hops (citrus, apricot), alcohol, and lots of sweetness. The taste is very sweet as well, with a dose of caramel, perhaps some smoke, and a good amount of fruits (orange, apricot). It is pretty bitter, yes, but... 120 IBUs? It's all hidden by the intense sweetness of the malts, which is also evident in the almost syrupy mouthfeel - it's one of the thickest beers I've come across. Also one of the most warming. Each sip feels like I just drank a liqueur, but I suppose it is as strong as some cordials. Not sure if I'd classify as a double IPA, as the malts seem to take the forefront here, and at times, the 120 reminds me of a barley wine. Apparently many reviewers here feel the same way. Too over the top I'd say, though not a bad beer. I'd like to see them tone the malts down some and let the IBUs come through. Not sure if I'd buy it again, but I'd drink it again if it were offered.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

This beer pours a cloudy orange. The thin white head fades fast, leaving very few laces.

This beer has a slightly malty aroma. I am slightly surprised by that. The hops are not nearly as powerful as I thought. The alcohol content is present in the aroma. This beer smells more like a Barley Wine than a Double IPA.

This beer tastes more like a Barley Wine than a Double IPA also. It is very sweet. It has a malty flavor. The hops are there, for sure, but not the main flavor I am getting. The alcohol content is very present in the flavor.

This beer is very sweet and syrupy. It has very full bodied. The alcohol warms the throat as it goes down. The beer leaves a sticky sweet aftertaste. It is not very carbonated.

I dont think this beer would make a good session beer at all. It is way to high in alcohol. Also, the flavor is quite aggressive. I am still curious by the flavor. This beer is way more like a Barley Wine than anything else. I think this one is just a little over the top.

4.02/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep copper color that's clear. No head really, only medium carbonation appears. The smell is fairly hoppy, with citrus aroma, only partially alcoholic considering the ABV on this one. The taste is very dry. The citrus flavor is stronger and tastes like tangerines. More hop flavor also. The alcohol taste is quite strong, but not enough to ruin it. It does burn the back of the throat slightly. You can certainly feel the alcohol peeking into the bloodstream. The mothfeel is slightly thin, perhaps because there's so much alcohol, carbonation is medium. This one is definitely a sipper. Not highly drinkkable, but a unique brew to enjoy on a special occasion with friends perhaps. I'm glad I got to try it...

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Clear copper in color, poured with about a half finger of off-white head. Slowly rising carbonation. Noticing the fruity sweetness first in the aroma. The clean grassy hop aroma with some pine undertones is strong, but not overpowering. Wow, what a huge beer. I'm not even sure how to describe this. Almost a hoppy port? The sweetness stands out, mostly fruity. Raisins, plums, grapes... This is a big, sticky, chewy beer. Good God, there is no way this is 21% ABV. A beer that big just should not be this drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA pours a burgundy red with a moderate white head. The head is very thick, not in height, but in amount of bubbles….if that makes any sense. It looks very creamy. The bubbles are very small and compact they leave good lacing. It smells of hops, did you expect me not to say it? It has a very floral aroma with breads, tropical fruits and just a hint of caramel underlying. Of course there is an alcohol smell to it but if you didn’t see that one coming from around the corner then you need to step off of the short bus.

WOW! There is sooo much going on here. Well, firstly, it is a little syrupy and viscous. Sticky! There is really a nice balance of malt, hops and alcohol here. It has a nice sweet, fruity taste. The alcohol isn’t overpowering, surprisingly. Mouthfeel is really excellent. Although it is slightly thicker than I typically prefer, it is nice. It coats the mouth and feels chewy. Good carbonation. Not too much though; I was afraid that there was going to be a ridiculous amount of carbonation in this one.

At the outset of this endeavor, I went into it with an idea of what this beer was. I thought that it was a novelty of sorts. I was wrong. It isn’t overpowering and has plenty going on. I thought that I was going to be getting myself into a bottle of pancake syrup with lots of burning alcohol. Again, I was wide of the mark. I am impressed. I paid about $9 per bottle, but it was worth it. It was tasty, enjoyable and entertaining. I am anxious to cellar the other bottles. I rate the drinkability at 4.0 due to the fact that it is about 21% abv and about $9 a bottle. That means that I can only drink a couple of them before I am piss ass drunk AND broke.

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

On tap at the Blue Dog Pub...
Appears an amber color with a small white head that retains nicely and sticks around the glass with solid webbing and lace.
Smell is of intense sugary malt with tons, and tons, and tons of hop varieties. I'm getting rich biscuit, bread, followed by massive amounts of pine, citrus, grapefruit, orange, pineapple.
Taste is equal to the aromas in terms of intensity. To me, this is really the 90 minute stepped up a notch but it's a little harder to handle due to the high abv and intense flavors.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, sugary, bitter, and bread-like chewy.
Drinkability is good. This certainly didn't come across as being a 21% abv in the chalice but I was feeling it by the end of the chalice.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle. No ABV listed on the label, just two words in bold lettering.. "AGES WELL." Somehow, I believe them.

Clear orange color with a small, tight head of bubbles that erodes to a whispy haze after a minute or two. The aroma is hefty pale malt and a floral hop background.. can't believe it doesn't smell hoppier than this. I expected my nostrils to be permanently damaged after smelling this. Taste is...surprisingly (dare I say) malty? The 90 Minute IPA "seemed" hoppier, although there's no doubt in my mind that the 120 had more hops in in. The gigantic malt and alcohol helped mask the brutal hops quite a bit...but not completely. Oily mouthfeel and thick, syrupy texture. Very drinkable for a 20+% ABV monster.

This is one creation by DFH that is even a bit extreme as far as "extreme" beers go. A nice one to try, but the high-price tag (around $8 for me) make this a beer that is saved (or cellared) for special occasions or to try once or twice. I couldn't imagine drinking this on a regular basis. An interesting and unique beer, that turned out to be much more malty than I could have possibly expected.

2.19/5  rDev -44.6%

I am drinking a cold 12 oz poured into an Appalachian Brewing Co. tumbler.

Appearance: An auburn colored ale, this poured with a nice head and kept a residual amount of lace as the beer was consumed. It is translucent, with no sediment.

Smell: There are some light hop oils that I detect, but for the most part, I smell malts, lots and lots of malts, akin to a barleywine. For the beer advertised as the Holy Grail for Hopheads, this is more like the Messiah of Malts.

Taste: As with the smell, malts overwhelm any hop sensations throughout the sip. At the end of the sip, a bitterness of hops appears, but it is not sufficient to redeem this DIPA. On the bright side, the GIGANTIC, ENORMOUS, GINORMOUS ABV of approx 21% is not detectable.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel lacks any hop profile, which is disapoointing, as the 90 Minute IPA is a work of art. The malts sit nicely on the palate, but that is not typical of a DIPA.

Drinkability: The drinkability is redeemed by the masking of the ABV. One does not realize the high ABV when enjoying it, although that can easily get one in trouble.

Overall, this is an interesting creation from DFH. I enjoy the ale and recommend it. The low scores result from my attempt to review within the DIPA style.

appearance: The pour into the snifter creates a .2" white head that partially recedes, and then persists as a bottom-fed thin layer with some aggregate clumps of bubbles. The beer is a light amber in color.

smell: A moderate presence of light fruits and caramel from the malt. Definately picking up a considerable ethanol sharpness. The hop aroma is not as large as I had expected, but is big nonetheless...and is mostly aroma and little bitter smell. The smell is reminiscent of the hop material that I filter out of my homebrew batches while pouring into primary...somewhat tealike and a little grassy. I feel as though I am picking up some hints of scuppernong grapes and honey...this one smells pretty sweet.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is at the peak of the medium range. The body is slick and on the heavier side of the medium range. Though it feels thick, something about it makes it seem lighter than one would think.

taste: Sticky sweet caramel, white grape, and clover honey notes. Big hop flavor, but not much bitterness. Moderate alcohol presence...pretty well hidden, actually. Finish is of a red appley sweetness and a light bitterness.

drinkability: Shite, I had no idea this was a 21% beer until I got toward the end of my review...very well disguised. Highly drinkability, considering both the style and the ABV.

Split a 12 oz. bottle with dirtylou on the last night of my stay. We've been pining to try this beer since the beginning of our beer enlightenment period...this has truly been a "momentous moment". This one kind of threw me for a loop. There was a pretty big hop aroma and flavor, but the bitter/sharp/acidic characteristic both in the nose and on the tongue was low. Very low for a DIPA. I assume that primarily low AA hops were used, but who knows.

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%

12oz single split with some guy "blackie" who probably wont enjoy it since he is a bitter, ungrateful, southern "man"...Thanks to Px2GrafX for the sampling

appearance: strawlike golden-amber, slight pale, a tad hazy, soapy and bubbly white beige head, leaving a decent white rim along the snifter

smell: not nearly as alcohol-dominated as i anticipated, tropical fruit is nice, juicy and potent floral hops, mild alcohol aromas, sweet malt backbone

taste: again, not nearly as potent as I would have thought...tropical fruit explosion hits the tongue first, definitely a little nutty. there is a defined alcohol burn present but it is not too offensive...malts are light and quite sweet...mild citrus, a little pine

mouthfeel: full bodied, sticky and syrupy, alcohol burn...over the top as expected

drinkability: not quite what i expected but tough for the style

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Im taking a lot away from this beer because of the MASSIVE alchol content that you can smell, taste and feel. It is really a unique experience that is hard to compare to other IPAs, but I feel I must. If there were another beer of its type I would rate it differently but with such huge alchol there is a lot lost to other IPAs.

The flowery hops is there, the mild body is right on for a good IPA, but you cant get away from that 21%. It pours golden rich but the smell of the alchol pours out over the glass like a mad science experiment. The taste is nothing like you have ever experienced....IPA hops and body, but a burn like someone poured in grain alcohol.

I have had this many times, and like it regardless of what I said above, but I usually pour this in a "vertical" tasting for friends with the 60 and 90 minute IPAs along side. Everyone gravitates to the 90 and expresses genuine fear of this.

2.01/5  rDev -49.1%

120 Minute IPA is a nastily-sweet brew more closely related to Midas Touch--or even Liquor de Malt--than either the 60 or 90 Minute IPAs. It claims to be a hophead's dream, but would be more appropriately marketed to the asshole wine people that purposefully leave the price tag on their expensive bottle of Merlot. Yeah, there's some hops, but there's also a huge alcohol burn if you hold it in your mouth for more than a millisecond and a meady honey sweetness that is truly disgusting. The only redeeming flavor is the barest hint of nuttiness, but that's like complimenting John Merrick on his lovely tan.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Clear copper with a small head and some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Lots of hop aroma and sweet maltiness. The smell reminds me of Dogfish Head 90 min IPA. Alcohol is upfront and noticeable, but not over the top considering the 21% abv. Easily the strongest beer I've ever, except for Utopias. 120 is like a really strong beer, where as Utopia's, for better or for worse, deserves it's own category.

Taste: Extremely sweet and with a ton of hop flavor and bitterness to back it up.

Drinkability: For 21% abv, I am surprised at the drinkability of this beer, but I'm happy to be drinking half now and half later in the night.

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

12oz. split with Melchizedek served in wine glasses.

Really nice color with good head given the amazing abv dissolved to patches of lace after awhile. Nice peach golden orange color.

Smell is a lot of hops and alcohol as you'd expect, but balanced with a syrupy maltiness that's kind of like sweet brandy. Hops are really citrusy and sticky, with a backbone that's very piney.

Taste is dominated by fruity hops and above all else, alcohol obviously, but not in a bad way. Very much like liquor, but still pretty tasty and refreshing.

Chewy sticky mouthfeel that leaves a little bit of a film on your teeth it seems. REALLY warming alcohol, as you'd imagine.

After about 6 or 7 oz. of this, I'm ready to move on. The alcohol mixed with the hops are just too much for me to want to drink more than 1 or 2 of this one.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Finally got around to trying this exceptional product last night at the poker game. I'm always impressed with the Dogfish Head offerings and was expecting great things from this beer. It was great, but the flavor was not what I was expecting at all. Not sure what vintage this was - 2004 or 2005.

Appearance - orange colored, light amber. Clear, bright white, compact head. Head stays around, lacing as it goes down.

Nose - I'm bracing for the hops . . . but no, malt! Toasty, sweet, caramel. Finally the hops come through, some citrus, resin. But not nearly as much as you would expect from an IPA continuously hopped for two hours. Also the alcohol is there, but dominated by sweet smells and esters.

Taste - amazingly balanced. In fact, tilted in favor of the malt. Sweet, with citrus in the background. Tastes like alcohol infused brioche with hops on top. Lots of alcohol, but not overwhelming. In fact, I wouldn't guess this was as high in alcohol content as it is in a blind taste. The more it warms, however, it almost turns into a nice, light port wine. Winey flavors abound - dark fruits, grapefruit, raisins.

Mouthfeel - light to medium-light bodied. Coats your tongue with sugar. Hop bitterness very muted on the tongue. Amazingly thin for the beer's size.

Drinkability - highly, highly enjoyable. I would love to be able to sit around and drink several of these, but it would probably kill me - both financially and from alcohol poisoning. A beer I will definitely seek out and hang onto for special ocassions, but a sipper.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

i finally cracked this one open last night and poured it into my duvel tulip. It had a nice golden color with a 1\2 in white head that left some lacing on the side of the glass. As soon as you cracked open the bottle you immediatley smell the hops with the alcohol. This becomes even more evident once you pour it into the glass. the first thing that came to my palate was hops,hops, and more hops and then take a guess what was next...the alcohol..once this beer warms it becomes a nice sipper that i might just sit back and relax with. Be careful who you let sample this because if they don't know what's coming it may just destroy them

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Finally found an occasion to pop open this 7.50$ for a 12oz luxury item at Beersignal's place...

Appearance: A clear melted copper colored brew that was pellucid, the kind that seems to give an opposite image of your finger, like in that perfect spot in front of a magnifying glass. Head was fleeting, but bright white.

Smell: Highly alcoholic and medicinal, like those disinfected gauzes. But this wasn't that infected, band-aid kind of aroma. It sort of reminded me of Laphroag...The hops are massive, but it's different than most of the other hop monsters I've tried before, as if the hops aromas were extracted by maceration in booze, like a crème de cassis.

Taste: The malt is there, and chunky as hell. Take a heaping spoonfull of DME, put in a few drops of vodka and mix it into a rough paste, and chew it like gum. Then shove a few hop pellets in there. I wouldn't exactly call this Beer a balanced one, nor did the brewer intend it to be this way, I bet. A very present malt sweetness that stands side by side with the hops like two gigantic robots fighting for the fate of the universe in some japanese manga. Taste is like rapinis blanched in maple syrup. Even in the aftertaste, smaking your lips immediately brings back the herbal, mouth puckering hops, but the lingering malt also! It's like rock candy with the hop bud center.

I can understand why some may hate it, and why some love it, this Beer is dancing on the outer edges of brewing, and my palate was teetering on that cliff for a while but made it though safely.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, not sure what year. I was expecting something that you can strip paint with. Luckily I was wrong.

Pours a deep golden/bronze color with a head that dissipates to a sticky film for the rest of the glass. How do they get any head at all from a 21% beer?

Ready for the first sniff, will it be all hops? Will it be all alcohol? Not at all, big surprise. There is some citrus in the smell and just a tinge of alchohol but mostly sweetness.

OK I think i'm ready to take a sip. All i can say is not what i was expecting at all. Very sweet, almost a little too sweet. I imagine that is has to be to get 21% but i was expecting much more of an alcohol and bitter taste. Both are there but they don't stand out the way you would expect.

The only thing i can say about mouthfeel is syrpy. The sweetness sticks to your mouth. No aftertaste at all!!! Again a big surprise.

Drinkability - if you look at this as being able to drink more than one at a time it fails misserably. My belly is already warm and my head is spinning. But if you look at it as a question of whether you would try it again and recommend it, it gets a big yes. This is a must try beer if for no other reason than to appreciate how Dogfish managed to brew a 21% beer. This beer surprised me in many ways and my only complaint is that i would have enjoyed a little more of a hop character.

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

I'm not sure what year this bottle is, I think it is 2005 but I don't know for sure. This beer pours a clear golden amber with a half inch off white head that dropped to a small collar quickly. The smell is citrusy, like grated orange peels with a toasty malt lingering in the background. The first sip gave a bit of an alcohol burn on the tongue, more of the orange peel then some toast. It finishes very clean, almost no after taste, I was expecting some bitterness here but didn't get any. The mouthfeel is medium with a great deal of carbonation. Even though the inital taste had some alcohol; in the rest of the glass it was hidden very well. I finished the whole bottle and wrote this review with only one spelling error, I am impressed with myself.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery