120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,347 | Reviews: 2,197
3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

Well, I had heard about this beer, it was almost a fable..."21% alcohol and it is still a beer?!"...but had never actually "seen" it anywhere. Many places carry the 60 minute or 90 minute ales but it took a trip to Portland, ME to actually find a single bottle of 120. And trust me, I have been to a lot of incredibly savvy, beer filled distributors in the past. So was it everything that people had talked about and more?..eh, not exactly. Maybe I had hyped it up too much in my mind as being one of these holy grail type beers, high ABV and extreme drinkability, but it took almost 2 hours to sip through the heavy, almost syrupy liquid. No doubt on the ABV, this stuff packs a punch, but I could only find one person at a party of 35 who enjoyed it.(side note: it was a little tiny girl who said it was better than the summer ales she was drinking, go figure!) The reason was probably the strange sweetness that accompanied the brew. It was a very strong flavor that I'm sure is added to make consuming a high-test alcohol and hop beer more drinkable...but as I am a fan of the pure hop taste it kind of ruined the fun for me. Would I drink it again? Probably not, as one BA said before it could have been better for a late night in the dead of winter instead of at a 4th of July BBQ like I tried. It was 6.99 for the single bottle, a bit pricey but in the limited quantity not outrageous. Still, in the spirit of try everything once I would recommend it to all BA's and hops lovers alike.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I am a bit conflicted on this beer. I really do like it but maybe it is just all the build up and the year of anticipation; but it was not quite everything I was hoping it would be. Maybe I was just expecting the wrong things... I did taste this side by side with the Golden Shower (a little experiment comparing DFH sugar levels in the various beers). So maybe I will try it again not next to and Impy Pils. Still, on its own merit this is the largest ABV beer I have ever had (WWS is 18%) and I did love the fact that it drank like a smooth light rum. MMM Jamaican Rum. =)

Appearance: Pours a dark gold cloudy orange color with a fluffy white head.

Smell: SUGAR sweet grain, alcohol, RUM and port fill the nose with a whirlwind of aromas, and triggers of liquor. There is a hint of some fruit but I was really digging to find the *big* hop I expected. The nose seemed to reveal more of a pale malt and breadiness.

Taste: The flavor is *big*. The first thing that came to my mind as the 21% alcohol hit my lips is aged rum. I had a bottle of 15 year rum from Haiti (thanks froggyfrog) and this brought back memories. Now I know it is not the same but that is how mental triggers work. Delving further into the flavor I found suggestions of vanilla, fusel alcohol, earthy citrus floral hop character, more sweet malts and dark fruits on top of raw sugar. All this but swirled into a nicely balanced very warming body of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Much more thick and almost chewy than I would have expected but still quite slick and smooth.

Drinkability: This is definitely a sipping beer. I had it next to a hot grill on a hot day and I won’t do that again. It is one to treasure on a cool evening in the fall, after you have put on your slippers for the evening pour it into a snifter and sip.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Highs: Complexity, flavor, feel
Lows: Price

Wow! 9.99 a bottle… was it worth it?

Pours a dark orange/apricot translucent color with a small amount of suspended yeast. 1-finger head of small creamy bubbles that fades rapidly to a never-ending sheet and very good lacing. Nose is predictably the DFH IPA signature hops along with an sweet orange scent. Taste is heavy on the hops up front, fading to an extremely sweet citrus fruity flavor, a definite but not bad alcohol presence, a nice hopsy bitter finish then a long, slow alcohol burn at the end. The alcohol (reportedly 21%) is there, but is beautifully integrated into the beer, appearing as an footnote, not a feature. Definitely a complex and sophisticated dessert beverage. Mouth is semi-creamy and substantial, perfect for this style. Drinkability is rather iffy—is it good? Yes. It is extremely expensive, insanely sweet and complex, and crazy go nuts high in alcohol? Yes. So you’re not going to drink more than 6-12 oz here. I drank six and it felt like 20. Very filling.

Overall: So was it worth it? Maybe. As the latest must-have beer, I guess it was. Is there better out there for less? Surely. In all, I’d say that 120 Minute IPA is a damn good dessert beer to be enjoyed in moderation.

3.71/5  rDev -10%

Being a hophead and having previously tried Dogfish Head's 60 Minute IPA, which I liked, and their 90 Minute IPA, which I loved, I couldn't wait to drink this beer. While I enjoyed this beer over the one and a half to two hours it took me to drink it, I was a little surprised by some of its characteristics.

The 120 Minute IPA poured a clear caramel/amber with very minimal head, approximately 1/8 of an inch. Carbonation appeared to be moderate with fine bubbles rising in the glass.

Smell was sweet with some citrus. Other aromas included a faint grassy note and slight spiciness. Being a 120 Minute IPA, I expected to be knocked over by the hop aromas wafting from this beer, however, I was surprised by its severe lack of hop character. Both the 60 and 90 minute varieties have increasing hopiness, but this beer differs from that. I suspect that the 120 Minute IPA's very high abv tends to drastically subdue any bittering bouquet from the hops.

This beer has a very malty and sweet taste that arrives with a burst of spicy flavor and a hint of vanilla. I could taste the alcohol, but found that it wasn't overpowering. Also surprising was the lack of bitterness compared to the 60 and 90 minute varieties. Again, I suspect that abv was a factor which subdued this characteristic.

Mouthfeel was slightly numbing, but with a rich character and good carbonation. Definite warming in the back of the throat.

Drinkability. Good, but one is enough. This is a fine sipping beer for sitting back, putting your feet up, and relaxing. At 21% abv, the 120 Minute IPA is an extremely strong beer and should be consumed in moderation.

Overall, another fine brew from Dogfish Head. The only drawback is the lack of hop character for this American Double IPA and it's high price for a single bottle. However, I will be purchasing the occasional bottle for those times when I want sit back and take it easy.

3.82/5  rDev -7.3%

A light brown ale, with a thick white head. A very hoppy aroma with this beer. The sweetness of the high alcohol content overwhelms the hoppiness of this beer. Overall this beer is not anywhere near as bitter as you’d expect, but holds its place in Dogfish’s lineup

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a hazy deep copper with a small head that quickly diminishes. Nose is crisp floral hops, citrus and alcohol. Full bodied taste that starts out with a strong alcoholic punch that mellows out and finishes with a strong hop bitterness and sweetness.This beer is definately one to sip on for a while from its high abv. Just too sweet for my liking. This is definately one of those beers you at least want to try once.

Photo of
3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Clear red gold color with a good head that faded fairly quickly. The aroma was malty sweet, with some grass type of aroma coming through. The taste was very firm malt, sweet with fruit and spice flavors at first. Hops came through towards the end, but didn't dominate or stick around much in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was slick, with minimal perceived carbonation. An interesting offering, but not my idea of a double IPA. Definately a sipper.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz capped bottle into my LaChouffe tulip glass. Bottle lists alcohol as 18% ABV.
Pours a color somewhere between orange and auburn, topped by a creamy white head that slowly recedes from about 1 inch to a thin film over the course of a couple of minutes. Heavy aroma of sweet, fruity hops, some fairly mellow sweet malt, and a ton of alcohol that overwhelms any subtleties that may be present.
I think the mouthfeel actually takes precedence over the palate here in a lot of ways. Rich and syrupy, it develops a highly-carbonated creaminess towards the finish, leaving a texture somehwere between a barleywine and a cream stout. The palate is very complex - full of sweet, fruity hops up front, some sweet caramel malt emerges mid-palate, with a huge, sharp alcoholic finish. Notes of sweet fruit (plums, apricots), pine, and maybe almond peek through at various points.
Given the absurdly high alcohol content and the thick texture, I'd say this is fairly drinkable. Not a purchase I'm likely to repeat, but a very interesting offering from a remarkable brewery.

2.76/5  rDev -33%

my fatrhers day beer.04 bottle. poured an amber copper, with a small off white head that didn’t last but left some lacing.aroma caramel , alcohol, tangerine, honey, brown sugar,than got some hops, was excepting more hops, a whole bunch of sweetness. flavor wow the alcohol comes right out there than all that sweetness with some hops. this is almost to the point of being too sweet. going to see if I can find a fresher bottle.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to Alan J. for the bottles smuggled in from Indiana to backwards Ohio.

Appearance- Rich clear coppery gold, Creamy head that clings like glue to the glass and your tongue.

Smell- Sticky hops, sweetness times 10, some citrus, floral, candy, and malt richness.

Taste- The sweetness dominates all. The hops overwhelm most everything else. This is like drinking a Sauterne wine. Fruity hops roll over the tongue, candy, cherries, caramel, slightly burned sugar. The alcohol burns slightly and warms the brew no matter how cold you serve it.

Mouthfeel- Like thin glue or motor oil. Thick and cakey, oily and slick.

Drinkability- I love it, but then I love extreme beers. I could easily drink 2 but will cellar the other 2 I have for at least 6 months. This is very much like Avery Mephistopheles, not quite as sweet, a little more bitter. Try it once, everyone deserves a blast in the mouth like this.

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

Way too extreme but worth having once. Very high IBU with tons of malting on the other side. I had no clue it was 21% no wonder I knocked myself out. Must be had with evening meal, but still some stomach burning. I would like to cellar, my criticism being I could not find a date on this small bottle.

4.19/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured a cloudy burnished brass color, with little head, yet a small skiff of foam which lasts and lasts.

The aroma is malt. Sweet malt. Yes, this is an IPA, so there are some fruity hops in the nose, but the malt truly dominates. How could it not, really? Sure, 120 IBUs is high, but 45 degrees plato (20% abv) is higher still. The beer has an aroma of grape juice, plums, raisins... almost a Hawaiian Punch smell. Quite attractive, really.

The taste is as sweet as the smell. Again, don't let the 120 IBUs throw you. This is getting into fortified wine territory, but made from barley instead of wimpy little grapes for the foo-foo, hold out your pinky, spit it out when tasting crowd. It isn't cloying, but is damned close. It tastes quite a bit like a port... perhaps a white port. Very, very fruity, full of grape, plum, and other dark fruit flavors. Very good.

The mouthfeel is, as one would expect, decidedly on the heavy side. This is oily, thick, chewy... and appropriate. You'll know you're drinking something, to be sure.

This brew is actually drinkable, in small quantities. I'm not sure I could do even a 12 ounce bottle by myself. The alcohol cacn become overwhelming if drank too quickly, the sweetness goes past cloying if you try to guzzle, but sit back, take it in a sip at a time, and this works wonders. Interesting, in a unique sort of way.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz. Bottled 3/29/06 (I think it's '06) but anyway, the bottle says right on the front "Ages Well." It mentions on the side "Enjoy now or age for a decade or so."

I'd like to enjoy it now.

In the oversize wine glass, it's a light orange. It's hazy with a well laced white head.

Oh my goodness, a pungent citrus. It's sweet but slightly medicinal. I've never experienced anything quite like it.

The flavor profile begins rather sweet. It suddenly becomes very bitter which is accompanied by an intense alcohol burn. As fast as that arrives, it gives way to a honey/citrus sweetness once again. As I continue, that bitter shock goes away, and what once was very sweet, suddenly takes on a tart cherry-like note. It's surprising. It tingles on the tounge.

To say the least, this is not a subtle beer. I wouldn't go haphazardly passing this out to friends. One has to make sure they are prepared for a beer like this. The hops do beckon me to want more. At this point I usually check the ABV....wow, this will kick my ass. Now I'm curious to see how it ages. Check my re-review in 2016.

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%

The 2006 12oz bottle release.

Pours a nice amber honey colour with frothy head, with great lacing.

Very strong aroma, with extreme hops and some sweet fruit.

The hops and ABV hit you smack in the mouth. The alcohol burn is apparent but warming, and the brew is smooth overall. Some subtle sweetness as well.

This is a sipping brew. Tasty, but strong. More like a triple or quadruple IPA.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Bought a 2003 vintage bottle at http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1262 for $9 a 12oz. I thought it was worth it. Poured it into a bowl looking glass, like a snifter, but with no stem.

A: Dark honey amber color and a nice cream color head that faded somewhat quickly, but stayed longer than I expected. There is beautiful, sticky lacing around the glass.

S: Smells sweet, very strongly of honey, and some alcohol.

T: Sweet honey and alcohol, just like it smells. It almost doesn't taste like beer. As the honey fades, moderate bitterness takes over. Aftertaste is mostly bitter with some sweetness lingering, and a very faint hoppyness.

M: Mouthfeel is almost like syrup, and the carbonation is pretty mild.

D: This is something I need to sip. It goes down surpisingly well for such high abv, however the abv and sweetness make this beer something I would only have one of at a time.

The sweetest beer I've ever had, and my first 120 IPA. I hope to get a fresh bottle to compare at some point.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

My only response to this "beer" is to treat it as you would treat a fine liquer. Heck, it's 42 proof

The appearance is wonderful, fairly light head with very tight bubbles. Carbonation is minimal in this beer.

Loved the aroma, not as aggressively hoppy as I was anticipating.

The taste is super concentrated, hints of bitter citrus (maybe grapefruit?)

The mouthfeel is almost too thick, even syrupy.

Drinkability, if you treat it right it's very drinkable. Split a glass with two other people. Savor it.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

poured into a wide mouth goblet glass. This beer has a nice amber-orange color with thin white head and loose lacing. Smells like honey sweetened citrus, mainly grapefruit, with a light pine and clove background. This beer taste great!! Sweet honey/sugary flavor in the forefront, slight citrus/pine dryness in the backtaste. This beer has a thick, almost syrupy mouthfeel. Very drinkable, especially for being 21%. The alcohol is presented well for such a strong brew. I really liked this beer; however, I have not had any other IPA that presented itself like this. To me this was more like an excellent meade or perhaps a barleywine. I actually didn't know it was an IPA because my husband poured it and said "drink this." I would gladly drink it again!

This beer was purchased at the Party Source for $8.99. The beer was poured into a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a hazy amber coloration. The head is a thin off white coloration. Speckles of lacing remains on the glass.

Smell: The beer is loaded with a sweet grapefruit and nutty piney breadyness.

Taste: Wow! This taste like a very sweet bready pine and citrus explosion. The taste is very, very sweetly boozey. The beer has a massively nutty and malty backbone.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is very sweet and sticky. Man this beer is over the top. The beer is full bodied. The beer avoids being sickly sweet due to spicy alcohol and maybe a bit of hops. Honestly the hops really didnt play a big part in the beer. The beer is pretty drinkable inspite of its massive alcohol content. It might even be a bit irresponsible to not have alcohol content present on the label. Gods of beer this beer kicks like a donkey. This beer is wierdly very easy to drink. This beer was almost like drinking an over proof JW Lees Harvest Ale. This beer is fantastic and I can harldly wait to see what a year or five will do to this beer.

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a light/medium amber color....slightly hazy. Huge fluffy white head, great retention....lots of lacing.

Aroma is fresh piney and citrus hops. Not nearly as overpowering as I was expecting, actually pretty mild. Also has a pretty good dose of caramel malt sweetness in the nose.

Taste is malty. Very sweet, caramel malt almost to the point of a barleywine. Hops actually take a backseat. They are present, but honestly seem a little overpowered by the malt....hard to really get a feel for their characteristics. Finish is sweet, and warm with some alcohol coming through.

Mouthfeel is thick & full bodied. Low but good carbonation. Alcohol warming is pretty much instantaneous. Certainly not something you're going to drink more than one of in a sitting....or even a day maybe. Worth trying again, though.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a tulip glass. Hazy golden-bronze color with a creamy lingering white head. A bit of lacing.

Bitter alcoholic aroma.

The first sip knocks you off your danged feet! Actually, so does the second. Big-time alcoholic kick, and some bitterness - but more sweet than bitter. Really really sweet actually. Powerful sweet and estery qualities, but absolutely no acidity to it at all. It's so strong, in fact, that I can barely tell if I'm tasting overt hops or none at all. Very syrupy/creamy/sticky mouthfeel.

As far as drinkability goes... it's not fair to rate this beer on drinkability, being that it's freakin 21%. This is not a beer that you drink an entire 12 oz. of in one sitting. I got a 12 oz. bottle that I shared with THREE people. Delicious as it was, it was enough for us. If you wanna put some bucks down, TRY IT! But beware...

$8 per 12 oz. bottle

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

I sampled the 12 oz bottle version. Pours a hazy maple color while barely sustaining a finely carbonated head which laces well.

Nose is loaded with plent of citrus fruits, sugar and some alcohol notes. Alcohol isn't as noticeable as you would think.

This brew has a medium body with minimal carbonation. Citrus and pine laden hop tone with a crazy sweet malt backing. Alcohol is well hidden on the palate but once it hits the old gut zang! Fruit notes are all over the place: grapefruit, pineapple along with an almost zany candy sugar sweetness. This is once beast of a brew, as such I don't think I can actually offer an objective score on the drinkability department as I don't have a benchmark on 20% brews. Four sips into this and I am already feeling it. This is colossal, but almost too sweet. Well worth a try, if you don't plan on drinking anything else for another two hours. I would love to get my hands on one that has been aged about 4 years.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Poured a hazy copper color with a pillowy off white head which stood tall and proud and left thick sticky lacing.

S: Has almost a bitter sweet smell to it. Major scent of hops with notes of sweet maltiness.

T: Bittersweet almost to the level of some barleywines. Tasted strongly of alcohol and a sweet almost caramel-esque flavor. Not really what I expected but still good.

M: Very very thick. It seems to coat your entire mouth when it enters. With the high alcohol content it burns your mouth and throat as it is drank. It almost has that mouthwash alcohol burn feel too it.

D: This is a beer to be taken in limited quantities. It's not a beer I could drink more then one in a sitting. Seeing that I also bought Rouges 2IPA That one is going to have to wait seeing I have to leave soon and It might not be wise to drink it after this monster. So in the end if you want a beer that you will only drink one beer and be good for a bit this is it.

Stop!!!
I don't think this beer should be reviewed as a DIPA... It is great, but is much more like a Barley Wine to me.
Pours a slightly cloudy golden orange. A nice white head provides great lace.
Carmelized malt. A raisin and date quality with a touch of alcohol in the nose.
Good flavor, but not consistent with a DIPA. A little sweet like a barley wine. Alcohol is evident. Raisins and date flavors are strong.
Full bodied. A touch syruppy and a touch touch dry. Good carbonation.
Look, this is good, but this is more of a barley wine... which I love and still score nicely.

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

One of my favorite beers of all time

Excellent finish and clean taste.Not as hoppy as some IPA'S. Can not tell that it is 21% by the taste, only when you give it time to process in the liver!!

Very hard to find sometimes since it it only released 3 times yearly

Excellent Job Sam

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Tasted at my new favorite Chicago bar, Hopleaf.

The holy grail of IPA's, indeed - I've waited a while for this one.

The pour releases a sunset orange brew with a sticky, thin white head. From the first drop out of the bottle, the warm, citrusy, sticky, floral, fruity (mango, pineapple, lemon), hops consume the nostrils - it's wonderful.

The taste is equally as pleasing. The beer almost feels like resin - sticky, piney, but not in a bad way - and bursts with a wide range of flavors - the mangoes, pineapples, and lemons mentioned above, along with a biscuity element, a chewy candy sweetness, and of course, the warm tingle of the alcohol. Surprisingly, the 21% doesn't send my tastebuds running, though the combination of that and the massive hops profile obliterates all other tastes in my mouth (at the time, this included garlic, bleu cheese, and a heavily spiced steak).

I'm glad I saved this for dessert, because it left me satisfied, cleansed, and thoroughly impressed.

I can't wait for the next opportunity to bask in 120's glory...

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery