120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,122 | Hads: 7,431
4.39/5  rDev +12%

2003 vintage

clear orangey-red with some yellow around the edges. force-generated foam subsides quickly leaving a mess of lacing all over the glass.

nose is subtle explosiveness... begins with peach and wood.. follows through with a sweet-and-sour age quality. malt comes in, representing smooth caramel and possess a nice hop balance. smoky, like a barleywine. not overly frightening.

juicy taste.. great medium thickness and silky texture. rolls right down the throat. the age is present here but subtle.. good conditions, i guess. orange, cherries and candy corn dominate the flavor, and the hop kick is remarkably still very present in the finish. even with two years and a multitude of sucrosial layers, a certain grassiness still exists. proof positive that alcohol is a preservative. abv is most noticeable as a warming sensation in the stomach, and the fire definitely builds up down there. this is much more drinkable than it should be.

this isn't really a double ipa, it's more of a strong ale. i can put away hercules like nobody's business, this thing is a digestif at best. take it carefully and enjoy every sip- you won't regret spending some time with the humongous dogfish. (1,201 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11%

I loved this beer. If you like hoppy, this is one of the hoppiest. A strong IPA with great taste that compliments the hops but it doesn't finish overly bitter. It has hints of orange and a woodsy feel to it.

I can't wait for the 2005 batch in October. (254 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was lucky enough to procure this on a trip to Three Floyds, at the nearby Liquor Stop in Highland, Indiana. I believe this bottle cost $8.50, and was able to snag one of their last ones.

A: I poured my 12 oz bottle into an oversized wine glass. A penny copper tone is the IPA, and the head rises fashionably late, almost delinquent compared to other beers. The head is thin, but a holy white that sparkles.

S: I smell apricots and a slight hint of peaches that shelter the smell of alcohol very well. I thought with this Double IPA having 20% alcohol that it would be a lot stronger.

T: The taste of apricots with a hint of walnut is what this drink reminds me of at first taste, then it transforms into a strong Sherry taste, very sweet. The after taste has a bit of hops, that gets slightly overwhelmed by the strength of the alcohol, despite this I find the taste very fascinating. It also has a nice sweet spice to this, reminds me of the spicy sweetness sauce found in the Korean Dish of Bi Bim Bop. Not sure what it is called, off hand

M: Is thick and wet, only allows the drinker to only take quick hitting sips.

D: With only wanting to take shy sips of this I cannot put the drinkabilty that high, but I do enjoy the sips I do take of it.

I am not the biggest fan of beers with high alcoholic content, but I really enjoy this one. The sweet taste of it is savory, and reminds me of drinking a huge glass of port wine. (1,445 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

2005 bottle, no date marked, and couldn't wait past the 3 months I had it, in a tulip glass.

Clear gold-copper body with bubbles rising upward, topped with a one-finger off-white head that retains nicely and permanently, though lacing is weak. Nose is caramel with fragrant florals and a more subtle citrus hop, nicely balanced.

Light carbonation in a thin but refreshing body, caramel sweetness and biscuits overpowering whatever bitterness there is supposed to be in here, resulting in IBUs perceived as much lower than the 90-minute. Goes down with a rush of piney spice and activity, the first time with a nice warmth, subsequently the spice alone. Lingers satisfyingly.

Not as hoppy as I expected, nor as it should be, a little on the sweet side. Alcohol is masked very well, and quite drinkable. Ended up sipping it though, not really sessionable. Can't really compare it to the 90 or 60, either, as the purposes are totally different. With that said, saving the rest for special occasions, and probably will cellar it "for a decade or so" as the label suggests. (1,079 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%

A golden ale with hig carbonation and a stichy white head. Malty sweet, resiny hop, alcoholic aroma. Kinds of a bicuty flavor. The 120 IBUs are not very detectable. Neith is the 21% abv for that matter. I can’t tell much difference between 120 and 90. (252 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a descent golden color. The head is off-white and minimal. The smell is just awful, such that your head may recoil out of fear. The taste was not much better than the smell, the unmasked alcohol was not pleasant. The mouthfell was thick and sticky sweet. Not recommended, But if you are adventurous... (307 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had to try this on tap while at the brewpub. I didn't really like the bottle versions I have had as they were way too cloy. However, this is an entirely different beer on tap. The pour is lush orange toped with a lovely white head. The carbonation and the freshness really brings out the hops in the nose, full of heavy floral hops citrus, piney. The alcohol comes through with a heavy handed sweet malt smell. The taste is something else, full hop attack is quickly diminished as the malt sweetness takes over and the alcohol finishes and the aftertaste lingers on and on. The malt flavors are like a brandy a little sherry, also some full caramel tastes. All in all much beter on tap but still a sipper as there are many flavors to go through in this beer @20%. (765 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

This brew is gold to light amber in color. It builds a spectacular white head about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. The head drops to about 1/4" thick cover, but it never disappears. It sticks to and covers the sides of the glass, and looks wonderful. High appearance score is mostly because of beautiful white head.

The moment I opened the bottle I knew that the smell would be 5. I love hops, and I cannot ask for more from the aroma. Hops, hops and more hops. I feel grapefruit and some orange. Very aromatic.

The taste is a bit of a let down. The hops disappear behind sweet maltness and high alcohol. Mouthfeel is full and very syrupy. The finish is too sweet for such a hoppy beer. Alcohol is very smooth. I would've never guessed that it's 20% ABV. I think this is about as strong a beer as I am ready to except. Maybe a little bit of an overkill.

"The holy grail for hopheads"? Probably not, but aroma was beautiful and sipping it made for a very pleasurable experience. Hence, high marks from me. I'll keep it in my cellar for when the mood strikes.

The beer is presented in a brown 12 oz bottle with no freshness, brewed on or best before date. I would like to say that I do enjoy a very simple, easy on the eyes design of the label. (1,249 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

'03 vintage 12 oz. bottle split with cmaruschak into a snifter.

Appearance: Crystal clear honey pour with golden straw edging. A small, tight, dish soapy looking ivory head forms. The head doesn't last long and there is minimal carbonation which I would expect for this high ETOH monster.

Smell: Alcohol...rum soaked dark fruits, almost burning on the nose. Very English Barleywine-esque. Maybe port-like in smell with burnt sugars dominating throughout. How this smells like a double IPA? I don't know.

Taste: Good gawd. Malty almost cloying sweetness. Brown sugar notes, ice wine, honey, dried dark fruits, with a metallic finish. Amazingly, the alcohol is hidden nicely. This tastes like no IPA I've had before. I don't know if it's b/c of the age of this beer but I taste no hop presence at all. This continues to be more reminiscent of a barley wine.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a light syrupy feel.

Drinkability: I'm glad I split this. I was barely able to finish the shared sample. Nothing is off here but this is a sipper for sure. It pushes the envelope and I have to give DFH credit for that. There are many beers with smaller ABV's that can blend flavor and ETOH like DFH does. Still, I can't imagine making this one a regular by any means. Worth a try I suppose. (1,292 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: Lighter amber colored body with a little cloudiness. Off white sea foam-like head. Very sexy head. Kind of disappointed that it didn't have any sort of date on the bottle so I'd know how old it is. And the bottle looks much different than the posted one.

Smell: sort of a citrusy, piney, grape-like hop smell reaches my nose just as soon as I open the bottle.

Taste: Well it is very much hopped indeed. Not quite past my tolerance level though. Incredibly sweet alcohol...something like good russian vodka. Hops are very grape-like and a hint of cedar.

Mouthfeel: mouth warming...throat warming...stomach warming...alcoholic but no burn or irritation. Not overwhelming especially for 40 proof. The beer is also astringent, but no more than I'd expect.

Drinkability: How drinkable can it be? you might ask? Hopped to hell and extremely high gravity--but done in such a way to make it an easy drink for the hop head in me. The real question is probably whether it is worth the hefty price. I can't buy it everyday, but it is still worth a try. (1,065 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

I was going to save this for a special occasion, but I figure today is special enough. Pours out more like a normal pale ale than I expected, clear copper body, with very minimal carbonation, but has a head that lingers longer than I expected. The nose hides the ABV very well, I just smell huge hops, quite impressive.

The taste is a through and through hop bonanza. Huge bitter, unrelenting, punishing in some respects. The alcohol adds to the intensely sharp flavors this beer has in store for the consumer. 21%? Yeah, but extremely drinkable for being stronger than some hard alcohol. Wow, DFH, keep it up.

A very huge thanks and dumptruck full of beer karma to Twilight for the awesome sample. (704 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not much head but lasting ok and amberbrown beer. Nose is very much hops; citrussy and a nice sharp maltnote. Alcohol and some sweeter malt in the back but alltogether a very fresh and good nose. Taste is IMO overdone on many occasions. Too sweet, heavy and bitter witch dominate the whole taste. Some maltyness there but mostly sweet& bitter. One that would do good on a clear and sunny cold day after a long walk with my dog but to sticky for me now. (452 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -38%

Single bottle 12 oz – 2004. From bottle shop in Boston. Served cold, at about 58 degrees.

Pours a light golden with hints of amber. Looks like a fairly average beer in it’s body – not like most other DIPA’s I’ve made or tasted. Decent lacing, small head.

Good strong smell of hops in the nose, but overpowering all else is the waft of alcohol. Wow! Yes, it is 20%, and yes, you can sense it coming. Very unlike the WWS, which I thought hid the abv well in both the nose and the taste.

Ok, the taste – if this were meant to be a barleywine or a brandy, I’d give it higher marks. I felt like I was drinking grain alcohol mixed with beer. Syrup texture belies the look of the beer, and the sweet residual taste brings much more alcohol (yes, MORE) but not much of a hops finish. Disappointing in that regard. As it warmed, more flavors became apparent - took me 2.5 hours to finish this 12 oz beer - and there was a nuance or two that came forward but nothing that made me think it was better 2.5 hours later.

I do not think I would purchase another bottle at this price point. I do especially like the 90 min IPA, but find the 60 and the 120 lacking in different respects. For me DFH is very hit and miss for my palate. (1,236 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Vintage 2004

This is the type of beer that defines extreme! It pours copperish with little head and almost no carbonation. Thick and sticky, sweet mouthfeel, makes you sip it from start to finish.

The taste is not hoppy like one would imagine, but more of a malty sweet syrup. The alcohol warms, but does not overpower even with a 20% abv. There are tones of brandy. A great brew that is a must try! (406 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -34.2%

Purchased single bottle of 2004 batch from Martignetti's (about $10). Waited many months to crack this baby open.

Appearance = Good looking semi transparent light golden amber. Not as thick as I would have imagined. Minimal head but respectable lacing.

Smell = Hops hops hops but loaded with alchol also. A bit overwhelming and smells like the taste won't hide the alcohol in the least.

Taste = It's a little too much for me. The alcohol is VERY intense all the way thorugh. There's a peculiar, disturbing salty taste that hits you upfront and lasts for a bit. This is definitely a slow sipping beer. It could use more flavor. I wish there was more of a cirtus flavor as with the 90 minute. Aftertaste doesn't give you much, just a lot more alcohol. Very syrupy tasting, nearly like a strong liquor.

Overall = After loving the 60 and 90 minute IPAs, I'm very disappointed with the 120 minute, especially give its price. It just doesn't really do it for me in the taste department. (994 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

My first crack at this bad boy its been a long time comin,pours a clear golden with some deep orange tint with a thin white head.Citrus infused vodka is the aroma I get mainly with this puppy with a light nuttiness barely peeking thru but this beer shows its alcohol and hops in the nose for sure.This bottle was was bottled this year so its relatively young and very powerful,pretty syrupy tongue-coating mouthfeel.Very interesting complexities going on pretty darn sweet for an IPA very alcoholic the hops are asexpected intense but everything about this ale is intense.now at $8.95 for a 12 ounce thats pretty high but this is quite the experience,one other thing I notice as this warms a little not only does the alcohol show thru more but a tropical fruit flavor lingers as well pineapple mainly man this complex. (818 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle obtained from Sulldaddy (thanks!) and shared with MABZ in June 2005. Poured a one-finger light cream head that left decent lacing on the inside of the glass. The beer was clear and light orange in color. Smells almost like a crystal sugar with and orange character. Some apricots. Flavors start with hop-tangerine, oranges, a *really* sweet malty, some cinamon and then APRICOT. There is a tiny moment of piney and pineapple to the hops. Hop bitter and co-ho comes along only during the swallow, prior to the swallow, the beer is all about the sweet and fruit. There is a gentle alcohol sting, that in no way presents as 20%. The aftertaste just hangs around forever. There's just a ting of carbonation forming on my tastebuds that combines with the alcohol on the inside of my lips. This combination counters some of the sweet and fruit. I think this beer need more hops and some caramel. To me, it's just too sweet and I felt like I wasn't able to catch everything that was going on. Thick mouthfeel and mildly caronbated. The beer just sticks to the tongue. It isn't quite syrupy, it's just really pleasant. (1,123 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance is a bit average. Clear golden, slightly amber. Nice fluffy head.

Smells quite potent. Like cidery, tangerine. Hardly any hint of hops. Very fruity.

The taste was a bit disappointing. I love the 60 minute hop profile for what it is, but it is completely lost in residual sugars in this monstrosity of a beverage.

Mouthfeel is syrupy. Alcohol is huge, but completely hidden under the sugar. Overbearing to say the least.

Not too highly drinkable, but I'm glad I finally got a chance to taste it, thanks to mentor. (535 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

This happens to be the best IPA around. With its scarcity, it makes people only dream of tasting the wonderful hops that this brew contains. The nice aroma as you pour it into a frosted mug, then to sip it is like the nector of the gods. I loved this IPA. (255 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -39%

This is certainly the strongest beer I've had so far. And, as chance would have it, not my most favorite of beers.

It pours a pretty light orangeish color with some white frothy head, very appealing looking. But looks can be deceiving. It smelled... slightly fruity, but mostly more of a vinegar smell- not the most appetizing combination.

The taste... rubbing alcohol comes to mind. Some fruityness prevails but mostly it's just not a wonderful tasting thing. Mouthfeel is okay, nothing special. Drinkabilty... well, I had half a bottle, and that was half a bottle too much. Sure, this will send you from sober to drunken haze pretty quickly, but personally, I'd rather enjoy what I'm drinking if intoxication is my goal.

It's worth trying, if only to say you've sampled all ends of the beer chain, but I can't see myself trying this again any time soon. (865 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -23%

From a 12 ounce bottle into a goblet, bottled in 2004.
This one is a bit too much.
Whiskey comes to mind.
The flavor grows on you after awhile but it's too intense at first.
Not quite as hopped up in flavor as I was expecting... probably because of the alcohol content.
Quite a bit of fruityness to be found.
Certainly looks like an IPA in color and clarity.
I rather enjoy the smell of it... though, again, too much alcohol.
However... considering that it has the alcohol content of a liqueur, it's pretty well balanced.
Double IPA? Maybe more like a pentuple IPA.
Worth a venture... be careful if drinking a bottle by yourself. (639 characters)

Undated 12oz poured into a tulip. The cap was bright, almost flourescent yellow with a dogfish inside a black triangle.

Light copper with a small white head that sticks to the glass, but lasts only a few minutes.

Smells like fruit syrup. Sweet with some alcohol underneath. There's some citric hops in there too.

Tastes like alcoholic fruit syrup. This is one decievingly thick ass beer. I would expect something this oily to be black. Very sugary, oily, and warming as it goes down. There's some hop juiciness to distract you from the sweet thickness.

There's no way in hell this could be a session beer. Would be better enjoyed as an after dinner cordial. (669 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -12%

Presentation: 12 fluid ounce bottle with a simple brass colored crown cap. Parchment quality label has the words ‘Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA The Imperial India Pale Ale’ underneath the picture of a hop cone. Bottom of the label has the words ‘AGES WELL Brewed in 03 04 05’, nicked at 04. Cost me $7.99 about a year ago, it has been in my beer cupboard since and my fridge for the last week.

Appearance: Decided to use a tall curve sided flute for this on, considering the fact that this was going to be a sipper. In fact, I used my “borrowed” LopLop Glass from the Brussels Bar of the same name. Has a graded color profile, light gold at the base thickens to an orange-gold at the surface. Dissolved carbonation quickly forms a reasonable looking white collar head, maybe a ¼” thick. The head slowly dissolves, but it never disappears, the

Nose: Dark dried orange peels, alcohol, sweet malts, laced citric vodka and heavy sweetish malts, but not much in the way of classic hops strangely.

Taste: Sweet start that builds into a warming middle laced with hop oils and gelatinous fruits such as pineapples, oranges, and a highly distilled white wine essence. Syrupy feel that detracts from the experience for me. Has a solvent like nasal singe at times.

Mouthfeel: Warming tropical fruit dimension in mouth, screeching hop-heat in the swallow, the 20% alcohol is still here. Thick fruity feel but it is not that appealing to me, big feel but sickly.

Drinkability: It is a sipper and whilst I love the hops, the oily nature and the burn and that annoying nasal singe means that even the little 12 ounce bottle takes a while to finish.

Overall: Maybe this is one of those brews that really needs a few years hidden away, but even after a year it still feels raw to me – and thinking about it, I don’t really see how it will improve to be honest.

Sure, it’s a unique brew, and yeah props to DFH for creating a 20% Imperial IPA, or an American D-IPA, or whatever you want to call it, but I prefer the big-ass IPA’s from Alesmith, Bear Republic, Great Divide, Stone, Rogue & Russian River and I still think the [750ml] DFH 90-Minute IPA kicks ass and is the best of the Doggie styles

The beer world's version of all those funky Concept Cars that never make it. Sometimes beers are just too big, I think that is the case here, and it doesn’t really deserve top marks just for that…..I think this is over-rated IMVHO.

“I’m an Imperialist you know”…..but this is a 'one-off' DFH 120-min Imperial IPA try for me, worth it and definitely and experience, but I won’t bother with it again. (2,624 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17.9%

What I expect out of this beer: A very hoppy perhaps grapefruit tasting beer with a fairly high alcohol content. I'm expecting something like Bell's 2 Hearted Ale.

What I got: Fresh beer brewed in 2005 not aged for very long. Purhcased from Cloverleaf today. Smell is very hoppy, head is creamy not very fizzy and one finger high. Piney in aroma. Certainly costs a lot more than a Bell's 2 Hearted at $7.99 for a 12 fl. oz. bottle. Expensive.

Taste: Hops! A bit of a sweet flavor. Kind of rings on the palate. Surprisingly not much bitterness. No grapefruit hops. I'm not sure what type of hops is used. Not a green hoppy taste. Some alcohol burning sensation but not much. A bit more sweet and malty tasting than expected.

Not very drinkable in large quantities. I enjoy other IPA's more and not worth the extra money.

By the way, I had no idea this one was at 20% ABV. It tasted like it had far less alcohol. More like a 8-9% ABV. I think this is a complement. (977 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

This was my first "big ale." When I purchased the single bottle I had no clue the strength of it. I was extremely surprised by the high alcohol content but found it pleasant. The orange and corriander taste was very arromatic and to my liking. IPA are one of my favorite styles and this one seems to be a real granddaddy. (321 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery