Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,144 | Hads: 7,520
3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Perfect copper pours thick with a small creamy tan head that leaves behind a splotchy pile of bubbles and film. Smells are light, but of potent bitter and abrasive hops kissed with alcohol. Kind of surprised on the flavor profile. It’s strong and syrupy sweet to start with, and while bitter, is actually kind of balanced, which was not what I though I was getting into. The sweetness is like syrup and powdered sugar on French Toast made with lots of vanilla. The hops are not overpowering, not out of line. They are bitter and resinous, but blend well with the super-sweet malt profile and hints of alcohol, which are amazing light for a brew this strong. I was expecting, and kind of hoping, that this would be more of a super bitter hop brew, but the sweetness is so prevalent it fairly well balances the hops. Syrupy body and very light carbonation. Not bad, but not what I would call “drinkable” and not what I was hoping for. I shouldn’t mark it down for not meeting my expectations I guess, but for a beer said to be “The holy grail for hopheads” it sure could use maybe another 60 minutes of hopping or something.

$14 for a twelve ounce 2004 bottle at Dogfish Head Alehouse in Maryland.

I expected this beer to be harsh, and a colossal hop blast, but I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong on both accounts.

It pours a dark murky golden. As it is a 21% alcohol beer, obviously a lot of that alcohol is present in the nose.

The taste is suprising. It is very smooth and highly drinkable. No choking, gasping, or yuck-face here. Extremely impressive. It almost seems like the 60 or 90 min IPAs have a more noticeable hop character than this one.

I would love to have this more often, if it wasnt so damn expensive. But (the prices) arent ever going to lower on this beer, so suck it up & enjoy your $10+ twelve ounce bottles.

2.93/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a golden amber with almost no head.

Surprisingly the smell didnt reveal any alcohol. Smelled like sugar coated hops.

Taste: How do I describe it? Oh yeah, sugar coated hops. Seriously, this beer hides the alcohol exceptionaly well, but covers it up with a flat out sugar taste. The hops take a back seat to the sugary stickiness. Mouthfeel is sticky and think, coating my mouth with the sweet aftertaste.

The problem is, Im not a fan of sweet beers - at least not this sweet. This beer tastes more like sugar than anything else. The hops play second fiddle here, if you can believe it. The fact that I cant even taste alcohol is amazing - the only indication that its 21% is the warmness in my belly.

Although I can see why some people would love this beer, its just not for me. I wont give it too bad of a score though, since this style isnt exactly mainstream theres not much to compare it to.

Drinkability cant possibly be very high with a beer this strong, so I cant go very high with that score.

Definately worth a try but not something I will be buying again. Well, I might buy one more bottle to cellar for a few years to see how the taste changes, but other than that, I can say Ive tried it and I will leave it at that.

Kudos to DFH for creating a 21% beer with almost no alcohol in the taste. I just dont see a huge market for this one aside from the curious.

4.72/5  rDev +19.5%

Beautiful orange-copper color. Nice light white head.
The bouquet is fantastic. Several different citrussy notes; orange, tangerine, mango? Malty sweetness and piney hop aromatics.
I think DFH creates their own styles. Yes, technically this is a double ipa, if you had to put it in a category, but it's much more than that.
Thick syrupy sweet mouthfeel. Obvious alcohol taste but it's married with a piney hop bight, big malty sweetness and hints of citrus throughout. Very nice alcohol warmth.
What impresses me so much is the drinkability of a beer that is so high in alcohol.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours a dark rich amber color with a full two finger head.The smell is very hop filled with some spices,and alittle hint of citrus.For a beer with as much alcohol as this, this is a very smooth beer with a full hop flavor.but not as hoppy as I thought it would be.I wonder how it would taste if I tried an aged one.This is an excellent beer from Dogfish Head and I highly recommend it.

2.95/5  rDev -25.3%

This review was from a 2005 bottle release.

The appearance was average really, with a pleasant golden, orange color and a head that went dissapated to nothing very quickly.

The smell was a little subdued from what I expected. Some citrus, and some fussel alcohols.

The taste made it obvious that this was a very big beer. Overly sweet malt flavors and huge citrus hops. The malt flavors were well balanced, but too sweet in my opinion. As the beer warmed to room temp. the fussel alcohols made themselves very well known in the taste.

The mouthfeel was viscous and chewy.

The drinkablity was low at this ABV (can you say booze bomb?). Definitely a sipper, and I took a couple of hours on mine. I definitely would not want more than one.

It's an interesting beer that you really can't compare to anything else. I'm glad I tried it, but I prefer it's little brother the 90 minute IPA. It won't be a regular in my rotation.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

I was actually lucky enough to try this badboy on tap at Capitol Ale House in Richmond. If you have a chance, get there.... they've only got one 5 gallon soda keg of it!

Anyways, this beer poured from the tap a little cold for my taste, but a gorgeous orange toffee color. Head was absolutely minimal, and disipated quickly.

The aroma of this beer is actually a little subdued I felt. Definite smells of caramel, toffee, and of course loads of hops. Perhaps the beer was simply too cold, but I was surprised by how mild the smell was. For something this huge I was expecting more. What I did smell was great, but a bit muted.

As far as flavor though, this beer is HUGE. as soon as you sip it, specialty grains, caramel and mucho malt coat your tongue. The finish is purely dominated in all ways by hops. But perhaps not even hops, but pure alpha acids. The finish is so incredibly hoppy and tangy that it is incredible. The difference between the time it hits your tongue, and the time you swallow is unreal. It it literally almost beyond description. Maybe that's the 21% abv talking though...

The mouthfeel is thick and syrpy without a doubt. Kinda feels like your drinking a huge glass of Nyquil. The flavore just coat your mouth and linger there forever.

I had to dock the drinkability a bit due to the alcohol. I personally love huge beers, but many may be scared by it. Having experiance with large alcohol beers, I really enjoyed this one, but others who didn't really know thought this was horrendous. I guess it really just depends on your tastes. In any case, this beer goes down very smoothly, and hides it's huge amount of alcohol VERY well. It's almost easier to drink that the 90 minute.

All in all, this beer is incredibly good, and should not be missed. $9 for a bottle, or $10.50 on tap does seem expensive(expecially on a college budget like mine), but DFH 120 is well worth every penny. It's not a beer, it's an experiance. And this is one beer that should be experianced by everyone at some point. Granted, I don't think it's an IPA, or anything even close. It is way too malty and sweet to be classified as such. But regardless of what you want to call it, I like to call it heaven in a goblet!

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear medium amber with a modest white head - lots of tiny bubbles and a bit of lacing, too

Smell: So rich and hoppy at the same time it is hard to tell the dominant smell; on the sweet side is a brandy-like quality of high alcohol sweetness but there are just a ton of hops here too and they balance each other out in a massive combination

Taste: The front of the palate is on the sweet candy sugar side but the hops quickly make a dramatic entrance with their grapefruit and pineapple flavors; incredibly well-balanced and builds to a crescendo of honey sweetness and alcoholic warmth

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied but relatively low in carbonation; plenty of warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable for such a high abv; an incredible achievement though just a bit too sweet to consume in quantity (even if the abv were lower)

2.86/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I remember a long time ago, trying Unibrou's Maudite and thinking it was completely excessive, too flavorful, and just plain bad. Then again, at the time I'd probably never had a beer greater than 8% ABV. Wasn't I surprised, then, months later when I tried it again... and loved it.

I'm wondering if that's going to be the case with this beer. Granted, at almost $8 PER 12 oz. BOTTLE, I'm not sure it'll fit in my budget any time soon. At least, not until my portfolio matures.

My stance, for now, is that this is a beer for special occasions. If you drank one of these every day after work, you'd quickly become an alcoholic, because there is just a ton of alcohol in it.

As far as taste goes, this beer is all about the alcohol and the hops. The film left behind the dissipating head was so sticky that it never left.

Really, I have no gripes with this beer. I love hops, I love strong IPAs, but this beer was just too much for me. Once I've decided to stop being a pansy, I'll try again. Who knows, maybe I'll love it!

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

OK, so when I found this at a local liquor store, I bought three 12oz. bottles, pricey stuff. I shared it with my fellow alcoholics. Say the least, I liked it the most and ends up drinking two of them.

It pours a thick amber with no head.

The aroma was very hoppy with a slight fruit in there.

This to me was a complex beer. It was very sweet at first with a zing of hoppiness. The after taste was sweet too, not like a Lambic though. It was well-balanced, and it was not afraid to let you know that alcohol was present.

I could drink this all day, but not for the price.

2.42/5  rDev -38.7%

Now, I was really excited to try this beer. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and their 90 minute IPA is AMAZING. This beer, however, does not live up to its little brother.
I found the taste to be overly vineous and sweet. Correction: cloyingly sweet. Don't get me wrong, I like malty beers, but this 'beer' reminded me of a very sweet blush wine. Dry-hopped? More like dry-humped.
That isn't to say it's all bad. I was completely unaware as to the alcohol content while drinking this beer. Except near the end when it was pretty warm, I never noticed any alcohol bite.
In short, I wouldn't buy this beer again if it were four dollar a bottle, let alone fifteen. No doubt, technically this is a well built beer, but that doesn't mean it tastes good.

1.93/5  rDev -51.1%

Appearence: Looks identical to the 90minute IPA, great color as orangy vibrance, the head is a wonderful yellow-tan. bubles streamy up glass and are medium in size. If the boil is 30 minutes longer that the 90 minute, how do they keep the color the same? Wouldn't the wort caramelize a bit more and make a different colored beer, even a little?
Aroma: Smells like porkfat or bad BBQ. I couldn't really get much hop character. There should be plenty of distinct hop aroma if it is truely dry hopped every day for a month, its not there. Perhaps the big malty character overwhelms the dryhopping process, reducing its efficiency.
Taste: Holy cow this is big. Classic "imperial" sweetness. The intense maltiness is overpowering and now terrible enjoyable. tanginess presumably from the high ABV, bites at the tongue, making it difficult to taste teh complex malt body. The long hop schedule presents itself as being very sweet/flavorful, with little bitterness. As with the 90minute I expected to be blown away.
Mouthfeel: very milk like texture. Caramel candy like stickiness on the palate.

Overall: It is amazing how sweet the hop flavor is, and the bitterness from teh hopping is just not there. I don't quit understand how this beer is really an IPA without the bitterness. Maybe just a really big hop flavored Pale ale. This is unique and novel, but its not good to drink. I am impressed by the technique and the truly unique character to this beer, it iw well done in the strangeness catagory.
However, just because its unique doesn't make it good or anymore drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

On tap at TPH 10/31/05 (boo).

This is a very good beer. It was poured into a DFH snifter. There was a decent head, and it was a nice amber. It smelled exclusively of medicinal alcohol. In a way, I almost wish it were served out of an over sized shot glass or even a highball glass, to eliminate the offensive smell. The taste, however, was incredible. It was both extremely sweet and bitter from the hops which was a cool mix. In addition, there was a mild citrus flavor to compliment the hops. It was delicious going down...I could drink this all night. Its drinkability is on par with a strong barleywine, and is much better then any 42 proof liquor. This is one mean beer.

4.67/5  rDev +18.2%

Wow, here it is, finally. I couldn't find this anywhere, but they had it at Caliente in Richmond, so a buddy and I split it, 6 ounces a piece.

Appearance: Not much head or lacing, but with the sweetness and high ABV%, it's to be expected

Smell: Fresh green hops more than a field of flowers, so to speak. Some orange as the citrus. Very very nice, very strong, and some sweetness shows through also.

Taste: Insanely well done for this type of brew. Initial burst of sweetness, thick sweetness, but there's so much hoppiness to it that it balances out. It's almost barley wine caliber, though a sweet barley wine more than a crazily hopped version, but the balance is incredible. There's a honey-like sweetness that comes through, which makes sense, and some sweet orange zest, not lemon so much, but I can definitely discern the orange flavor. The reason this works seems to be from the extremes -- so much alcohol, so much sweetness, but the nutty process of hopping makes it a fantastic experiment and a singularly beautiful brew. A success on all accounts: this one takes you to great places, and it's a beer like none other.

Mouthfeel: Thick, creamy, silky, low carbonation (with the high ABV% and sweetness). Certainly a treat.

Drinkability: Share this with a friend, as I did. It's surely a must, though I could've finished the bottle with at least an hour to do it. An amazing beer, and I'll be looking for a case ASAP to cellar and enjoy on special occasions, and of course winter also. Try it for sure if you can.

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

Wow. The beer pours a cloudy amber with virtually no head. The bouquet was extremely intense hops and a slight hint of fruits.The taste was of hops first and foremost; what I expect from an IPA but ended very smooth and relatively sweet. There was a bit of carbonation to begin with, but it died down after a few minutes. As it warmed, subtle flavors of citrus(namely orange) and honey came out, giving a very pleasant creamy mouthfeel and overall excellent beer experience. This was extrememly well balanced for 21% alcohol; you hardly notice it. If you like IPA and care to try a VERY strong, VERY good flavorful variety, check this one out.

2.43/5  rDev -38.5%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

12 0z bottle. cost me $8.65

Appearance- copper brown with a thin white head.
Smell- sweet. Cherries with some mild pine hops. Was hoping for strong bitter hops but no!
Taste- sickeningly sweet cherry cough syrup. Aftertaste has a slight bitter hop flavor but is overpowered by the high alcohol.
Mouthfeel- sugary sweet but otherwise soothing like a robitussin is!

Overall- a huge disappointment. Too sugary, too sweet. I am not a fan of sugary fruit beer. This beer is comparible to Samiclaus. Bleeech. I wish I could get my money back.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

I'm not a great fan of IPAs. I've enjoyed them in the past, but they are not something I seek out. This, however, is a DIPA and my first.

I've never sought this beast out even though it gets written up a lot. I've had their 60 minute IPA, and to be honest it was too hoppy. I cannot imagine the 90 minute IPA. The 120 was something I was afraid to even think of. Tonight is the first time I ever saw it at a store. I had to get it even for $6.99 for a 12 oz bottle. I had some excitement to have such a highly praised brew.

Appearance: decent, dark amber color. I poured lightly so not much of a head, but a little head present contains lacing (impressive amount of lace).

Smell: hmmm....soap. As intense hop smell as any I've ever smelt. So much so, that my excitement faded a bit thinking it would taste like every other IPA. I do enjoy the smell of hoppy beers, I just generally don't like the flavors very much.

After a few drinks I started to notice some sweet maple scents. Not bad, very interesting.

Taste: unexpected....totally unexpected. Not sure how to describe, so I shall use stream of conscience for it. Very sweet. Almost like a Belgian dubel in sweetness. Smoky caramel with maple syrup. Medicine flavor. The medicine is the only trace of alcohol I can pick up. For such an extremely high alcohol content, I've never had something so balanced. Too sweet, too syrupy.

Mouthfeel: full bodied....not much carbonation. Syrupy...every much so.

Drinkabilty: I poured half a 12 oz bottle in a small glass...I'm through about 3/4ths of it and feel like I've been kicked in the ass. Not very drinkable.

Notes: I'm impressed with this. Not sure I like it so much, but I'm impressed. It is very complex, extremely complex. The complexity is what makes me give it a 4 for taste. My initial take on drinkabilty is 2.5, but after thinking about it I'll give it a 3.0 because I want to try this again, just not right now.

I'm interested in reviewing this again.

4.82/5  rDev +22%

This is still not legal in NC (at 21%, we may never get it here, unless we bootleg). We got it shipped in from Mass. by a friend (a friend with 120 is a friend indeed).

a: It is a wonderfull color, but the head doesn't last. With the alcohol content, you wouldn't expect to have the head last long. Also, very slight carbonation.

S: VERY HOPPY! Which makes me hoppy, I mean happy. Excellant!

T: Again, VERY HOPPY! Most wonderful experience.

M: Very BIG beer.

D: The only thing that holds back the drinkability is the ABV. At 21%, you can't drink a lot of it (or you will pay for it in more ways than the hip pocket).

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

2004 vintage 12 oz. bottle purchased by me from DFH brewpub in Rehoboth in August 2005 decanted into a snifter-type wine glass in October 2005.

A muddy looking cloudy ruby-orange in color. It looks like a considerable amount of yeast in suspension even though this bottle has been sitting untouched for several months.

Lots of carbonation is visible in the glass at first, with hundreds of tiny bubbles clinging to the bottom of the glass and then rising up the sides.

This beer is an olfactory delight. An amazing sweet citrusy aroma assaults the nose. The faintest hint of smoke and ultimately a crisp alcohol note round out the smell.

Mouthfeel and Taste:

Big and thick on the tongue, surprising for an IPA. The bitterness is there but the balance leans more towards the malt. The citrusy hops in the nose are almost completely drowned out in the mouth.

The citrus fruit theme does still continue on the tongue, but now it's a darker flavor. I'm tasting a bitter orange flavor like a rind. The alcohol is a pronounced but not unfavorable flavor component. This beer tastes like an orange-flavored dark rum (if there ever was such a thing.)

My God! There is about a half inch of liquid left in the glass and I'm having trouble focusing on my monitor as I write this. A little hint: watch out for that 21% ABV. I guess as an alcohol delivery vehicle this would be about the same as shotgunning four or five [insert crappy mass-produced beer name here] in a half an hour.

So drinkability then, except for the falling down on the floor part I could probably drink these all night. The beer is super smooth and tastes quite good. Unfortunately my glass is empty and that means its time to wrap this up.

This is a huge, full-bodied beer. The sugary sweetness was a surprise.
My wife's take on this beer: smells like brown sugar with rubbing alcohol in it. I'll agree with the brown sugar reference, this beer leaves a caramelized sugar stickiness wherever it goes. Big Citrus in the nose gives way to that sweet sugary goodness in the mouth and finishes with that "Holy Crap I'm Drunk Now" warm feeling in the belly.

Final Verdict on DFH 120 Minute:

Well worth the ten dollars I had to part with to acquire it. Sam Calagione...I love you man!

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

12 ounce brown glass bottle poured into duvel tulip. Aged two and a half years.

A - A very nice dark amber orange color with a thin white head that dissapates quickly. It's the color of a new penny (the beer obviously, not the head) now that I lood at it. Tons of lacing is already sticking to the glass.

S - A nice caramel aroma, along with some piney hops. A touch of alcohol could be felt as I inhaled as well.

T - Tastes like sweet caramel on the first sip. I'm picking up the candy corn flavor that I've seen others talk about. I detect a tiny hop presence, of course I expected none at all after two years, and an alcoholic kick. A distinct taste, one of those that I'm not sure if I like but can't stop sipping.

M - Very smooth, not much carbonation as can be expected but it feels nice on the tungue and has some alcohol warming that rolls right down into your gut.

D - Obviously a sipper, with the high alcohol content and sweetness, but not as rough to drink as I expected.

Notes: Glad I gave this one a try, don't know how often I'll go for this one but it is definitely an experience. I have a younger bottle which I'm curious to try to see if the hops are more present ( not tonight of course or I'll be falling over myself.)

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Clear burnt orange colour topped by a dense, cream head that was speckled with a few large bubbles. Nice lacing from beginning to end and fine foam remained righ through to the finish. The aroma was a good balance of caramel and toasted maltiness, warm alcohol, and rich American hops (mostly pine) that were never quite aggressive. Big, caramel malt flavour kicks things off, and the alcohol warmth begins at the midpoint. This is also where the hops pick up, starting with pine and changing to orange/citrus towards the finish. Great balance. Full, viscous body that's just short of syrupy. Medium dry finish from the bountiful hop resin. Considering the gravity, this is a highly drinkable beer that wasn't cloying or out of balance. Very enjoyable.

4.41/5  rDev +11.6%

2004 Vintage I believe. Pours a crystal clear orange, big white head forms and never leaves, tons of lace, one of the prettiest beers I've ever seen. Smell is piney caramel and alcohol, very strong but smells great. Taste is caramel, pine, some citrus, and a little bit of alcohol. The mouthfeel is amazingly thick, low carbonation, very warming from the throat on down, slight alcohol burn. The warming/burn is really the only alcohol presence you get, besides the fact thatr 6 oz will give you a mean buzz. Very surprisingly drinkable, it was a shame to see the end of the glass. Very underrated in my opinion, this beer is a feat. Good on you for the pickup DrJay.

4.39/5  rDev +11.1%

2003 vintage

clear orangey-red with some yellow around the edges. force-generated foam subsides quickly leaving a mess of lacing all over the glass.

nose is subtle explosiveness... begins with peach and wood.. follows through with a sweet-and-sour age quality. malt comes in, representing smooth caramel and possess a nice hop balance. smoky, like a barleywine. not overly frightening.

juicy taste.. great medium thickness and silky texture. rolls right down the throat. the age is present here but subtle.. good conditions, i guess. orange, cherries and candy corn dominate the flavor, and the hop kick is remarkably still very present in the finish. even with two years and a multitude of sucrosial layers, a certain grassiness still exists. proof positive that alcohol is a preservative. abv is most noticeable as a warming sensation in the stomach, and the fire definitely builds up down there. this is much more drinkable than it should be.

this isn't really a double ipa, it's more of a strong ale. i can put away hercules like nobody's business, this thing is a digestif at best. take it carefully and enjoy every sip- you won't regret spending some time with the humongous dogfish.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

I loved this beer. If you like hoppy, this is one of the hoppiest. A strong IPA with great taste that compliments the hops but it doesn't finish overly bitter. It has hints of orange and a woodsy feel to it.

I can't wait for the 2005 batch in October.

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was lucky enough to procure this on a trip to Three Floyds, at the nearby Liquor Stop in Highland, Indiana. I believe this bottle cost $8.50, and was able to snag one of their last ones.

A: I poured my 12 oz bottle into an oversized wine glass. A penny copper tone is the IPA, and the head rises fashionably late, almost delinquent compared to other beers. The head is thin, but a holy white that sparkles.

S: I smell apricots and a slight hint of peaches that shelter the smell of alcohol very well. I thought with this Double IPA having 20% alcohol that it would be a lot stronger.

T: The taste of apricots with a hint of walnut is what this drink reminds me of at first taste, then it transforms into a strong Sherry taste, very sweet. The after taste has a bit of hops, that gets slightly overwhelmed by the strength of the alcohol, despite this I find the taste very fascinating. It also has a nice sweet spice to this, reminds me of the spicy sweetness sauce found in the Korean Dish of Bi Bim Bop. Not sure what it is called, off hand

M: Is thick and wet, only allows the drinker to only take quick hitting sips.

D: With only wanting to take shy sips of this I cannot put the drinkabilty that high, but I do enjoy the sips I do take of it.

I am not the biggest fan of beers with high alcoholic content, but I really enjoy this one. The sweet taste of it is savory, and reminds me of drinking a huge glass of port wine.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery