120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,153 | Hads: 7,596
3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Im taking a lot away from this beer because of the MASSIVE alchol content that you can smell, taste and feel. It is really a unique experience that is hard to compare to other IPAs, but I feel I must. If there were another beer of its type I would rate it differently but with such huge alchol there is a lot lost to other IPAs.

The flowery hops is there, the mild body is right on for a good IPA, but you cant get away from that 21%. It pours golden rich but the smell of the alchol pours out over the glass like a mad science experiment. The taste is nothing like you have ever experienced....IPA hops and body, but a burn like someone poured in grain alcohol.

I have had this many times, and like it regardless of what I said above, but I usually pour this in a "vertical" tasting for friends with the 60 and 90 minute IPAs along side. Everyone gravitates to the 90 and expresses genuine fear of this.

2.01/5  rDev -49.2%

120 Minute IPA is a nastily-sweet brew more closely related to Midas Touch--or even Liquor de Malt--than either the 60 or 90 Minute IPAs. It claims to be a hophead's dream, but would be more appropriately marketed to the asshole wine people that purposefully leave the price tag on their expensive bottle of Merlot. Yeah, there's some hops, but there's also a huge alcohol burn if you hold it in your mouth for more than a millisecond and a meady honey sweetness that is truly disgusting. The only redeeming flavor is the barest hint of nuttiness, but that's like complimenting John Merrick on his lovely tan.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Clear copper with a small head and some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Lots of hop aroma and sweet maltiness. The smell reminds me of Dogfish Head 90 min IPA. Alcohol is upfront and noticeable, but not over the top considering the 21% abv. Easily the strongest beer I've ever, except for Utopias. 120 is like a really strong beer, where as Utopia's, for better or for worse, deserves it's own category.

Taste: Extremely sweet and with a ton of hop flavor and bitterness to back it up.

Drinkability: For 21% abv, I am surprised at the drinkability of this beer, but I'm happy to be drinking half now and half later in the night.

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

12oz. split with Melchizedek served in wine glasses.

Really nice color with good head given the amazing abv dissolved to patches of lace after awhile. Nice peach golden orange color.

Smell is a lot of hops and alcohol as you'd expect, but balanced with a syrupy maltiness that's kind of like sweet brandy. Hops are really citrusy and sticky, with a backbone that's very piney.

Taste is dominated by fruity hops and above all else, alcohol obviously, but not in a bad way. Very much like liquor, but still pretty tasty and refreshing.

Chewy sticky mouthfeel that leaves a little bit of a film on your teeth it seems. REALLY warming alcohol, as you'd imagine.

After about 6 or 7 oz. of this, I'm ready to move on. The alcohol mixed with the hops are just too much for me to want to drink more than 1 or 2 of this one.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Finally got around to trying this exceptional product last night at the poker game. I'm always impressed with the Dogfish Head offerings and was expecting great things from this beer. It was great, but the flavor was not what I was expecting at all. Not sure what vintage this was - 2004 or 2005.

Appearance - orange colored, light amber. Clear, bright white, compact head. Head stays around, lacing as it goes down.

Nose - I'm bracing for the hops . . . but no, malt! Toasty, sweet, caramel. Finally the hops come through, some citrus, resin. But not nearly as much as you would expect from an IPA continuously hopped for two hours. Also the alcohol is there, but dominated by sweet smells and esters.

Taste - amazingly balanced. In fact, tilted in favor of the malt. Sweet, with citrus in the background. Tastes like alcohol infused brioche with hops on top. Lots of alcohol, but not overwhelming. In fact, I wouldn't guess this was as high in alcohol content as it is in a blind taste. The more it warms, however, it almost turns into a nice, light port wine. Winey flavors abound - dark fruits, grapefruit, raisins.

Mouthfeel - light to medium-light bodied. Coats your tongue with sugar. Hop bitterness very muted on the tongue. Amazingly thin for the beer's size.

Drinkability - highly, highly enjoyable. I would love to be able to sit around and drink several of these, but it would probably kill me - both financially and from alcohol poisoning. A beer I will definitely seek out and hang onto for special ocassions, but a sipper.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

i finally cracked this one open last night and poured it into my duvel tulip. It had a nice golden color with a 1\2 in white head that left some lacing on the side of the glass. As soon as you cracked open the bottle you immediatley smell the hops with the alcohol. This becomes even more evident once you pour it into the glass. the first thing that came to my palate was hops,hops, and more hops and then take a guess what was next...the alcohol..once this beer warms it becomes a nice sipper that i might just sit back and relax with. Be careful who you let sample this because if they don't know what's coming it may just destroy them

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Finally found an occasion to pop open this 7.50$ for a 12oz luxury item at Beersignal's place...

Appearance: A clear melted copper colored brew that was pellucid, the kind that seems to give an opposite image of your finger, like in that perfect spot in front of a magnifying glass. Head was fleeting, but bright white.

Smell: Highly alcoholic and medicinal, like those disinfected gauzes. But this wasn't that infected, band-aid kind of aroma. It sort of reminded me of Laphroag...The hops are massive, but it's different than most of the other hop monsters I've tried before, as if the hops aromas were extracted by maceration in booze, like a crème de cassis.

Taste: The malt is there, and chunky as hell. Take a heaping spoonfull of DME, put in a few drops of vodka and mix it into a rough paste, and chew it like gum. Then shove a few hop pellets in there. I wouldn't exactly call this Beer a balanced one, nor did the brewer intend it to be this way, I bet. A very present malt sweetness that stands side by side with the hops like two gigantic robots fighting for the fate of the universe in some japanese manga. Taste is like rapinis blanched in maple syrup. Even in the aftertaste, smaking your lips immediately brings back the herbal, mouth puckering hops, but the lingering malt also! It's like rock candy with the hop bud center.

I can understand why some may hate it, and why some love it, this Beer is dancing on the outer edges of brewing, and my palate was teetering on that cliff for a while but made it though safely.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, not sure what year. I was expecting something that you can strip paint with. Luckily I was wrong.

Pours a deep golden/bronze color with a head that dissipates to a sticky film for the rest of the glass. How do they get any head at all from a 21% beer?

Ready for the first sniff, will it be all hops? Will it be all alcohol? Not at all, big surprise. There is some citrus in the smell and just a tinge of alchohol but mostly sweetness.

OK I think i'm ready to take a sip. All i can say is not what i was expecting at all. Very sweet, almost a little too sweet. I imagine that is has to be to get 21% but i was expecting much more of an alcohol and bitter taste. Both are there but they don't stand out the way you would expect.

The only thing i can say about mouthfeel is syrpy. The sweetness sticks to your mouth. No aftertaste at all!!! Again a big surprise.

Drinkability - if you look at this as being able to drink more than one at a time it fails misserably. My belly is already warm and my head is spinning. But if you look at it as a question of whether you would try it again and recommend it, it gets a big yes. This is a must try beer if for no other reason than to appreciate how Dogfish managed to brew a 21% beer. This beer surprised me in many ways and my only complaint is that i would have enjoyed a little more of a hop character.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

I'm not sure what year this bottle is, I think it is 2005 but I don't know for sure. This beer pours a clear golden amber with a half inch off white head that dropped to a small collar quickly. The smell is citrusy, like grated orange peels with a toasty malt lingering in the background. The first sip gave a bit of an alcohol burn on the tongue, more of the orange peel then some toast. It finishes very clean, almost no after taste, I was expecting some bitterness here but didn't get any. The mouthfeel is medium with a great deal of carbonation. Even though the inital taste had some alcohol; in the rest of the glass it was hidden very well. I finished the whole bottle and wrote this review with only one spelling error, I am impressed with myself.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Perfect copper pours thick with a small creamy tan head that leaves behind a splotchy pile of bubbles and film. Smells are light, but of potent bitter and abrasive hops kissed with alcohol. Kind of surprised on the flavor profile. It’s strong and syrupy sweet to start with, and while bitter, is actually kind of balanced, which was not what I though I was getting into. The sweetness is like syrup and powdered sugar on French Toast made with lots of vanilla. The hops are not overpowering, not out of line. They are bitter and resinous, but blend well with the super-sweet malt profile and hints of alcohol, which are amazing light for a brew this strong. I was expecting, and kind of hoping, that this would be more of a super bitter hop brew, but the sweetness is so prevalent it fairly well balances the hops. Syrupy body and very light carbonation. Not bad, but not what I would call “drinkable” and not what I was hoping for. I shouldn’t mark it down for not meeting my expectations I guess, but for a beer said to be “The holy grail for hopheads” it sure could use maybe another 60 minutes of hopping or something.

$14 for a twelve ounce 2004 bottle at Dogfish Head Alehouse in Maryland.

I expected this beer to be harsh, and a colossal hop blast, but I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong on both accounts.

It pours a dark murky golden. As it is a 21% alcohol beer, obviously a lot of that alcohol is present in the nose.

The taste is suprising. It is very smooth and highly drinkable. No choking, gasping, or yuck-face here. Extremely impressive. It almost seems like the 60 or 90 min IPAs have a more noticeable hop character than this one.

I would love to have this more often, if it wasnt so damn expensive. But (the prices) arent ever going to lower on this beer, so suck it up & enjoy your $10+ twelve ounce bottles.

2.93/5  rDev -26%

Pours a golden amber with almost no head.

Surprisingly the smell didnt reveal any alcohol. Smelled like sugar coated hops.

Taste: How do I describe it? Oh yeah, sugar coated hops. Seriously, this beer hides the alcohol exceptionaly well, but covers it up with a flat out sugar taste. The hops take a back seat to the sugary stickiness. Mouthfeel is sticky and think, coating my mouth with the sweet aftertaste.

The problem is, Im not a fan of sweet beers - at least not this sweet. This beer tastes more like sugar than anything else. The hops play second fiddle here, if you can believe it. The fact that I cant even taste alcohol is amazing - the only indication that its 21% is the warmness in my belly.

Although I can see why some people would love this beer, its just not for me. I wont give it too bad of a score though, since this style isnt exactly mainstream theres not much to compare it to.

Drinkability cant possibly be very high with a beer this strong, so I cant go very high with that score.

Definately worth a try but not something I will be buying again. Well, I might buy one more bottle to cellar for a few years to see how the taste changes, but other than that, I can say Ive tried it and I will leave it at that.

Kudos to DFH for creating a 21% beer with almost no alcohol in the taste. I just dont see a huge market for this one aside from the curious.

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

Beautiful orange-copper color. Nice light white head.
The bouquet is fantastic. Several different citrussy notes; orange, tangerine, mango? Malty sweetness and piney hop aromatics.
I think DFH creates their own styles. Yes, technically this is a double ipa, if you had to put it in a category, but it's much more than that.
Thick syrupy sweet mouthfeel. Obvious alcohol taste but it's married with a piney hop bight, big malty sweetness and hints of citrus throughout. Very nice alcohol warmth.
What impresses me so much is the drinkability of a beer that is so high in alcohol.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours a dark rich amber color with a full two finger head.The smell is very hop filled with some spices,and alittle hint of citrus.For a beer with as much alcohol as this, this is a very smooth beer with a full hop flavor.but not as hoppy as I thought it would be.I wonder how it would taste if I tried an aged one.This is an excellent beer from Dogfish Head and I highly recommend it.

2.95/5  rDev -25.5%

This review was from a 2005 bottle release.

The appearance was average really, with a pleasant golden, orange color and a head that went dissapated to nothing very quickly.

The smell was a little subdued from what I expected. Some citrus, and some fussel alcohols.

The taste made it obvious that this was a very big beer. Overly sweet malt flavors and huge citrus hops. The malt flavors were well balanced, but too sweet in my opinion. As the beer warmed to room temp. the fussel alcohols made themselves very well known in the taste.

The mouthfeel was viscous and chewy.

The drinkablity was low at this ABV (can you say booze bomb?). Definitely a sipper, and I took a couple of hours on mine. I definitely would not want more than one.

It's an interesting beer that you really can't compare to anything else. I'm glad I tried it, but I prefer it's little brother the 90 minute IPA. It won't be a regular in my rotation.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

I was actually lucky enough to try this badboy on tap at Capitol Ale House in Richmond. If you have a chance, get there.... they've only got one 5 gallon soda keg of it!

Anyways, this beer poured from the tap a little cold for my taste, but a gorgeous orange toffee color. Head was absolutely minimal, and disipated quickly.

The aroma of this beer is actually a little subdued I felt. Definite smells of caramel, toffee, and of course loads of hops. Perhaps the beer was simply too cold, but I was surprised by how mild the smell was. For something this huge I was expecting more. What I did smell was great, but a bit muted.

As far as flavor though, this beer is HUGE. as soon as you sip it, specialty grains, caramel and mucho malt coat your tongue. The finish is purely dominated in all ways by hops. But perhaps not even hops, but pure alpha acids. The finish is so incredibly hoppy and tangy that it is incredible. The difference between the time it hits your tongue, and the time you swallow is unreal. It it literally almost beyond description. Maybe that's the 21% abv talking though...

The mouthfeel is thick and syrpy without a doubt. Kinda feels like your drinking a huge glass of Nyquil. The flavore just coat your mouth and linger there forever.

I had to dock the drinkability a bit due to the alcohol. I personally love huge beers, but many may be scared by it. Having experiance with large alcohol beers, I really enjoyed this one, but others who didn't really know thought this was horrendous. I guess it really just depends on your tastes. In any case, this beer goes down very smoothly, and hides it's huge amount of alcohol VERY well. It's almost easier to drink that the 90 minute.

All in all, this beer is incredibly good, and should not be missed. $9 for a bottle, or $10.50 on tap does seem expensive(expecially on a college budget like mine), but DFH 120 is well worth every penny. It's not a beer, it's an experiance. And this is one beer that should be experianced by everyone at some point. Granted, I don't think it's an IPA, or anything even close. It is way too malty and sweet to be classified as such. But regardless of what you want to call it, I like to call it heaven in a goblet!

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear medium amber with a modest white head - lots of tiny bubbles and a bit of lacing, too

Smell: So rich and hoppy at the same time it is hard to tell the dominant smell; on the sweet side is a brandy-like quality of high alcohol sweetness but there are just a ton of hops here too and they balance each other out in a massive combination

Taste: The front of the palate is on the sweet candy sugar side but the hops quickly make a dramatic entrance with their grapefruit and pineapple flavors; incredibly well-balanced and builds to a crescendo of honey sweetness and alcoholic warmth

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied but relatively low in carbonation; plenty of warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable for such a high abv; an incredible achievement though just a bit too sweet to consume in quantity (even if the abv were lower)

2.86/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I remember a long time ago, trying Unibrou's Maudite and thinking it was completely excessive, too flavorful, and just plain bad. Then again, at the time I'd probably never had a beer greater than 8% ABV. Wasn't I surprised, then, months later when I tried it again... and loved it.

I'm wondering if that's going to be the case with this beer. Granted, at almost $8 PER 12 oz. BOTTLE, I'm not sure it'll fit in my budget any time soon. At least, not until my portfolio matures.

My stance, for now, is that this is a beer for special occasions. If you drank one of these every day after work, you'd quickly become an alcoholic, because there is just a ton of alcohol in it.

As far as taste goes, this beer is all about the alcohol and the hops. The film left behind the dissipating head was so sticky that it never left.

Really, I have no gripes with this beer. I love hops, I love strong IPAs, but this beer was just too much for me. Once I've decided to stop being a pansy, I'll try again. Who knows, maybe I'll love it!

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

OK, so when I found this at a local liquor store, I bought three 12oz. bottles, pricey stuff. I shared it with my fellow alcoholics. Say the least, I liked it the most and ends up drinking two of them.

It pours a thick amber with no head.

The aroma was very hoppy with a slight fruit in there.

This to me was a complex beer. It was very sweet at first with a zing of hoppiness. The after taste was sweet too, not like a Lambic though. It was well-balanced, and it was not afraid to let you know that alcohol was present.

I could drink this all day, but not for the price.

2.42/5  rDev -38.9%

Now, I was really excited to try this beer. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and their 90 minute IPA is AMAZING. This beer, however, does not live up to its little brother.
I found the taste to be overly vineous and sweet. Correction: cloyingly sweet. Don't get me wrong, I like malty beers, but this 'beer' reminded me of a very sweet blush wine. Dry-hopped? More like dry-humped.
That isn't to say it's all bad. I was completely unaware as to the alcohol content while drinking this beer. Except near the end when it was pretty warm, I never noticed any alcohol bite.
In short, I wouldn't buy this beer again if it were four dollar a bottle, let alone fifteen. No doubt, technically this is a well built beer, but that doesn't mean it tastes good.

1.93/5  rDev -51.3%

Appearence: Looks identical to the 90minute IPA, great color as orangy vibrance, the head is a wonderful yellow-tan. bubles streamy up glass and are medium in size. If the boil is 30 minutes longer that the 90 minute, how do they keep the color the same? Wouldn't the wort caramelize a bit more and make a different colored beer, even a little?
Aroma: Smells like porkfat or bad BBQ. I couldn't really get much hop character. There should be plenty of distinct hop aroma if it is truely dry hopped every day for a month, its not there. Perhaps the big malty character overwhelms the dryhopping process, reducing its efficiency.
Taste: Holy cow this is big. Classic "imperial" sweetness. The intense maltiness is overpowering and now terrible enjoyable. tanginess presumably from the high ABV, bites at the tongue, making it difficult to taste teh complex malt body. The long hop schedule presents itself as being very sweet/flavorful, with little bitterness. As with the 90minute I expected to be blown away.
Mouthfeel: very milk like texture. Caramel candy like stickiness on the palate.

Overall: It is amazing how sweet the hop flavor is, and the bitterness from teh hopping is just not there. I don't quit understand how this beer is really an IPA without the bitterness. Maybe just a really big hop flavored Pale ale. This is unique and novel, but its not good to drink. I am impressed by the technique and the truly unique character to this beer, it iw well done in the strangeness catagory.
However, just because its unique doesn't make it good or anymore drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

On tap at TPH 10/31/05 (boo).

This is a very good beer. It was poured into a DFH snifter. There was a decent head, and it was a nice amber. It smelled exclusively of medicinal alcohol. In a way, I almost wish it were served out of an over sized shot glass or even a highball glass, to eliminate the offensive smell. The taste, however, was incredible. It was both extremely sweet and bitter from the hops which was a cool mix. In addition, there was a mild citrus flavor to compliment the hops. It was delicious going down...I could drink this all night. Its drinkability is on par with a strong barleywine, and is much better then any 42 proof liquor. This is one mean beer.

4.67/5  rDev +17.9%

Wow, here it is, finally. I couldn't find this anywhere, but they had it at Caliente in Richmond, so a buddy and I split it, 6 ounces a piece.

Appearance: Not much head or lacing, but with the sweetness and high ABV%, it's to be expected

Smell: Fresh green hops more than a field of flowers, so to speak. Some orange as the citrus. Very very nice, very strong, and some sweetness shows through also.

Taste: Insanely well done for this type of brew. Initial burst of sweetness, thick sweetness, but there's so much hoppiness to it that it balances out. It's almost barley wine caliber, though a sweet barley wine more than a crazily hopped version, but the balance is incredible. There's a honey-like sweetness that comes through, which makes sense, and some sweet orange zest, not lemon so much, but I can definitely discern the orange flavor. The reason this works seems to be from the extremes -- so much alcohol, so much sweetness, but the nutty process of hopping makes it a fantastic experiment and a singularly beautiful brew. A success on all accounts: this one takes you to great places, and it's a beer like none other.

Mouthfeel: Thick, creamy, silky, low carbonation (with the high ABV% and sweetness). Certainly a treat.

Drinkability: Share this with a friend, as I did. It's surely a must, though I could've finished the bottle with at least an hour to do it. An amazing beer, and I'll be looking for a case ASAP to cellar and enjoy on special occasions, and of course winter also. Try it for sure if you can.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Wow. The beer pours a cloudy amber with virtually no head. The bouquet was extremely intense hops and a slight hint of fruits.The taste was of hops first and foremost; what I expect from an IPA but ended very smooth and relatively sweet. There was a bit of carbonation to begin with, but it died down after a few minutes. As it warmed, subtle flavors of citrus(namely orange) and honey came out, giving a very pleasant creamy mouthfeel and overall excellent beer experience. This was extrememly well balanced for 21% alcohol; you hardly notice it. If you like IPA and care to try a VERY strong, VERY good flavorful variety, check this one out.

2.43/5  rDev -38.6%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

12 0z bottle. cost me $8.65

Appearance- copper brown with a thin white head.
Smell- sweet. Cherries with some mild pine hops. Was hoping for strong bitter hops but no!
Taste- sickeningly sweet cherry cough syrup. Aftertaste has a slight bitter hop flavor but is overpowered by the high alcohol.
Mouthfeel- sugary sweet but otherwise soothing like a robitussin is!

Overall- a huge disappointment. Too sugary, too sweet. I am not a fan of sugary fruit beer. This beer is comparible to Samiclaus. Bleeech. I wish I could get my money back.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery