120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,187 | Ratings: 7,777
4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Man...that's a serious kick in the teeth! Even puts the most seasoned beer drinker back on their heels. The beer just plops into the glass, then laces and legs and carbonates around boastfully. Releases aromas of bigtime hops and malts with every descriptor word that has ever been used on this website. Flavors to the same, and more. Use every 'hop' adjective you know, use every 'malt' adjective you know. That's what this beer is. Use every 'mouthfeel' word you can think of. That's it too. The beer is more that an IPA; it's an IPAwine. Must be sipped like a cognac. The hops never subside under the imense malts and alcohol. Could easily be put in the 'Strong Ale, or Old Ale' catagories. Easily competes with Utopias for most powerful beer. A 100% joy and honor to drink.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

All I can say is this beer will knock your socks off. There are two ways it can do this. Either by the hops aroma or the alcohol after taste.

I just picked up 3 cases of this in Richmond, VA and could not wait to get home to try it. When poured, it fills up the pint glass to the top with about an inch of head. It has a dark orange color to it. The scent is great, but may be over the top for some. If you don't like IPAs, don't waste your time or money, and at $9 a bottle it would be money well saved. You can smell the hops right away and there is some smell of alcohol. When tasted there is a flavor of great hops and some malt. I think it is a good balance since I like that type of beer. There is also a good bitterness to it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Cloudy, dark golden color with a persistent 1 finger of head. Small bubbles move very slowly to the top after the pour, hinting at the thickness of this. Sheets of lacing cover the glass.

The smell is very very sweet. Bubble gum and spice.

This tastes very good, but not like any kind of "ipa" at all. It tastes like the best quad I've ever had. The sweetness tastes like candy sugar. Despite all the hops, they are hard to distinguish. I guess most quads I usually feel are unbalanced towards the candy sugar and alcohol, so the tons of hops in this I guess balance them out perfectly for me. The taste is very good and smooth and the alcohol at over 20% is not overbearing. The hops I think are little more than a spicy aftertaste on my tongue.

The alcohol in this beer actually numbs my tongue a bit. This has the consistency of engine oil and immediately begins to warm and numb my mouth with an alcohol spice.

I will give this a "4" on drinkability because it's amazing they have balanced this out so well at over 20% alcohol. It's an easy drinking beer, all things considered. More than one of these would be out of the question generally, but this one is mighty tasty and enjoyable. Fantastic balance for such a high abv extreme beer.

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a warm hazy dark orange body with a thick creamy mousse of a head. The head clings to the side of the glass and has a orange hue to it. After a bit there are some large bubbles starting to form in the head.

S- The smell of green piney hops comes through but not as strong as I was expecting. In the background there is some lightly caramel malt aromas. There is a nose of alcohol when this beer warms a bit.

T- The taste of caramel hops is quickly overpowered by a strong alcohol finish. The sweetness of the malt hangs on my lips and I didn't seem to notice the hops. Is this the right beer? With the next sip the alcohol note is blended with bitter hops as it burns my nose on the exhale. As the beer warms the hops start to come through but the alcohol becomes even more pronounced.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a strong alcohol heat in the finish.

D- I was expecting the hoppiest beer of my life but that was far from the case. I got loads of alcohol heat and some nice caramel malt note in the back but not the hops. This beer was fresh and I was hoping to get the most of the hops but no such luck. The bottle says the beer ages well but there is no "brewed on date" for reference. I love Dogfish Head but this beer is a bit of a letdown. I think with age the alcohol would die down but then do the hops die down even more?

4.41/5  rDev +11.4%

Here we go, the mother of IPAs, the mecca of hop-dom.

Pours a hazy golden orange, a slightly aggressive pour yielding a whopping two inch head, white, frothy, and cloudy, mounds of lacing sticking to the sides. After 2/3 of the bottle poured, waited for the head to settle, poured the rest in, and appeared almost smoke like streaks, clouds in the haze, must be the yeast, fascinating. Although it kind of freaks me out, this is way better/cooler than the Guiness avalanche. Quite frankly, one of the loviest (and most fascinating) brews I've yet seen.

A potent hop nose at first, then goes away, the alcohol not hiding but not oppressive, floral and has a sugar-like malty base beneath other elements.

Taste is much sweeter than I expected, and not nearly as hoppy, but you definitely need to take it slow, as the alcohol makes its presense known in the middle through the end, warming nicely, somewhat oppressive, though I'll use the term 'stern'. Mouth screws up from inital sweetness, kind of letting you off guard when the alcohol bite strikes like a cobra, puckering, and this is where the hop bittering makes its debut, and while basically overshadowed by the abv, combines with the sweet fruits and malts and sugars yielding an almost zen-like state of beer nirvana. And while I've seen others describe the taste as 'grapefruit-like', I'll say its more sweetly caramel-like syrup, coinciding with the thick mouth and the high abv to just linger there, giving you much to think about. Appropriately, the after taste, sweet and warming, stays with you for quite some time before receding.

This reminds me of when I first tried Samichlaus, another super-high abv beer, and this seems to IPAs what Samichlaus is to doppelbocks. It is wierd, as I know this is in the IPA style, I can feel it, but it has just been loaded with so much, almost to the point of overpowering, that it takes on a whole different character, a breed unto itself. One of a kind.

Take your time, sip away, respect and enjoy slowly. That is the nature of this beer, and while one person might say its hopped to high hell and abv is out of control, I say its a beautifully crafted. At $8, and basically needing to spend a half hour focusing solely on enjoying it, I can't imagine having more than one a year, or one every half year. But, I'll be headed back to the store to pick up a few to stash the cellar.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Golden orange with a head that stuck around longer than expected. Nose full of the gamut of hop offerings.

This should be more complex, but feel that the alcohol and sweetness really detract. Yes it is hoppy, but your mouth will warm and sticky up so fast you won't notice at times. Boozy nice sipper.

This is a young bottle, and I grabbed several, we'll see how it lives up in the basement. Good overall, but so far can't go wrong with 60/90 minute versions.

3.79/5  rDev -4.3%

04/22/06- Purchased via mail order..can't remember who with though.

Presentation- 12oz bottle. Bottled in year 2004. Has sat in my fridge for almost two years. Poured into my St. Feuillien goblet style glass.

Appearance- Glowing golden orange in color. 1/2 inch head at first...very sparkling white. Light rim of foam left behind while leaving medium spotty and streaky lace. A very nice sight indeed.

Smell- Really doesn't smell like much. Medium fusel alcoholic fumes with a light malty base and some muted sugary fruits. None of these smells really stand out though.

Taste- At first taste it doesn't seem like it's a 20% beer. After the first few sips you can feel it though. It's deceiving for sure. Malt actually comes out to play nicely. Good base leading to some sugary grapefruit and floral hops. Not to bitter though. Alcohol flavor is pretty strong and stays around into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- A bit higher carbonation than thought. Nice light bitter sugary coating on the tongue. Warming to be sure. Nice beer by the fire beer.

Drinkability- Umm, session beer...no. Maybe a once a month beer is you can stand to pay the $10 a pop. Not the hop bomb people expect, but a very nice sipping liquor-like beer.

3.62/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance-Golden amber with two fingers of off white head. Very inviting by the appearance.

Smell- Is sweet and fruity more of a pineapple smell. Very inviting.

Taste-Very sweet almost two sweet. Makes your mouth water and does not actually taste like pineapple but at this point more of just a mixed fruit.

Mouthfeel- Good carbonation not too smooth but a littlle on the heavy side. Leaves your mouth with a dry feeling.

Drinkability- Too sweet and wouln't try antoher i don't think but recommend trying at least once. Did a good job hiding the 21.00% alcohol.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle thanks to chadbrew
Poured aggresively into chalice and produced fantastic 1-2" head!! Copper in color with fluffy off-white head and slight carbonation. Aroma from the hops was not as prominent as I thought it would be. Oaky alcohol on the nose woth fruit. I was expecting an absolute hop bomb but it wasn't. Great citrus tones with a little grassiness to it. The maltiness balanced this beer so well. Very thick mouthfeel. Definately looking forward to the other bottle.

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This stuff really hit me. It is definitely more drinkable than the extra and a little stronger than the WWS. Drank a little cooler than room temp (probably around 55 degrees, not sure if this is the proper serving temp or not...I figured this was around correct since the Burton was best at that temp).
The appearance of the 120 was pleasing, very orangey (with a hint of red). Pour was smooth and produced a very sutble lace.
It has a very sweet, citrus-like bouquet, but the faint hint of alcohol is definitely there.
This stuff is strong and not for the faint of heart. The 90 is definitely more drinkable and the 60 is the optimal beer for first-time Dogfish Head drinkers, but the 120 is pretty solid all around. Props to the brewers.
The mouthfeel is very oily and the drinkability is very low on this one. Definitely a sipper.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured VERY aggressively into a large snifter and all I got was a one finger head of dense, off white foam that had lots of large wispy bubbles in it.

Smell is tougher for me to pin down though the alcohol is right up front. This seems somewhat bready and piney.

Taste is very sweet a little citrusy. The finish is all alcohol but even that seems ok. It is certainly only a sipping beer anyway.

Mouthfeel is thick but only a little syrupy. I'd say that's an accomplishment all it's own, considering the ABV of 21%.

Drinkability is a little less than I'd like to see. I thought WWS and Raison D'Extra were both VERY drinkable at 18% and 20% respectively so I was expecting more out of this one. All in all, I'm still pleased I have some to lay down for future tastings.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Served on tap in an 8 oz glass, this is a nice amber color with a thin white head, some decent lacing. Nose is a very strong citrusy hops, some floral notes, a sweet alcoholic undertone. Taste is a mix of burning alcohol and strong resinous citric and grapefruit hops. It's a little much, not nearly as enjoyable to drink as the 90. Full bodied with a slick oily mouthfeel, this one is definitely a sipper. This isn't nearly as drinkable as the WWS--I'm glad I tried this but don't think I will again.

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%

Finally got to try the big one. At $8.00 for a 12 ounce bottle and 21%ABV, not for the faint of heart. A pretty red/orange color with a medium head that quickly dissipated. All I could smell was sweet fruit and alcohol. The taste followed the odor: sweet,sweet fruit, alcohol, with a hops coming in later. A very thick, rich mouthfeel. I started with it chilled, let it sit, and finished it at room temperature. Definitely better at room temperature. I'd look at this as a dessert beer, and would figure that 6-12 ounces would be my limit.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Having had the 60 and 90 minute versions, I was eager to try the big daddy and was so glad I did.

This had a great concentrated orange color, with a thick head which thinned quickly. Again, probably more my glass than the beer.

I smelled all of the hoppiness I would have expected in what I think is a DIPA: citrus and pine, and an overally spiciness that bordered on red pepper (cayenne-ish), balanced by a hint of malt in the background.

The taste was exactly the opposite of what I expected. It was hugely sweet; sugar, sweet fruit with a tang (think pineapple). A massive concentrated sweetness of lighter sugars (not deep fruit like a British Brown Ale), with some hop presence on a spicier note, like pepper. It finished with a big alcohol warmth, but less "fumey" than I would expect.

On the mouthfeel, again, it was a big alcohol warmth after the mouth-caoting sweetness. I'd classify it as medium bodied; just a hint of thickness from the sweetness of the beer.

Overall, I'd drink it again. Just once though...21% is quite a haul if I want any other beers on that given day!

4.87/5  rDev +23%

ok, going into this not knowing what to expect, super hops, super alcohol, super good?

A - pours a tea brown, with a white head that thoroughly laces rather quickly

S - Hops, hops, and more hops! a great smell with citrusy aromas with slight twangs of alcohol, vodka-y alcohol aroma

T - WOW!!! velvety smoothness, like a liqueur, surprisingly sweet. Of course the expected hops explosion, but to me, it tastes very well-balanced. This is one of my top 3 beers of all time!

M - what can i say, like drinking syrup, has a thick mouth coating sweetness, but not overkill, ive never had a more extremely well-balanced beer

D - super high, the ABV is the only drawback, dont drink any more than a bottle of this stuff if youre driving.

btw, the price is the only detractor. but worth it, just not every day

well done DFH

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%

Sampled this beer many times , had some yesterday so figured i'd give my review. Served from a twelve ounce bottle into a snifter at cellar temperature .Poured a golden orange with very little head, but didn't pour too vigorously. The aroma was of hops , citrus fruits, and tons of alcohol. First taste was totally alcohol. The next was a little easier with a taste of hops, followed by more alcohol that left a little burn at the back of my throat. There is no hiding this alcohol. Had a nice full almost thick mouth feel. Not real drinkable but not bad to sit down and sip with dinner. Is definatley an EXTREME beer.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

I am re-reviewing this beer, after a ten-year hiatus, and I decided that it is much better than I had thought. Or perhaps my tastes have changed,. If you notice, my name is Porter 17, but I think the IPA is the best beer style out there now. Accordingly, I have upgraded review numbers and find that the beer is one most people will enjoy, if you like an IPA!

3.44/5  rDev -13.1%

Been sitting on this 12oz., vintage 2004 bottle for over a year now. Could have let it sit longer, but... what the hey!

Served in a snifter at cellar temperature.

A - Pours a slightly hazed bright orange-caramel color. An off-white head rises to about 1/2 inch at best (with a vigorous pour) and quickly dissapates as expected. Remaining bubbles are soapy and big, sticking together in a big clump. Lacing is sporadic, but noticeable.

S - Juicy sweet, nectar dripping fruitiness. Pineapples, peaches, apricots and pears. Kiwi fruits even. In lesser amounts, there is also a tinge of pine. Orange blossom honey.

T - Big big sweetness up front, but ambiguously sugary and without much discernible malt presence. In the middle, the alcohol makes a big isopropyl-style entrance. At the back of the throat, the fragrant west-coast hops become very prevalent, although not as punchy as the smell would have you believe it should be. As you swallow, you notice that your mouth becomes sucked dry of any lingering moisture and the alcohol leaves a slight burning in the back of the throat. Big, warm afterglow.

M - Very thick and syrupy with a hint of carbonation. The swallow is slick, but the alcohol keeps it from being smooth.

D - The main thing I kept thinking as I was writing this review is that the alcohol is unnecessarily strong. I feel that it knocks everything else out of balance. Good thing I was sharing the bottle with my sister, because I would not have been able to finish the bottle myself.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Received in trade with fdrich29. (Thanks Frank!) Bottled in 2004.

A: Poured into a snifter, forms a dark orange color with no head whatsoever. I know high-alcohol beers tend to have little head, but for my money an IPA should give me a nice foamy one for appearance -- a slight dock on appearance for that.

S: Very strong, clean and crisp hop presence on top, with a nice citrusy grapefruit and even an orange presence underneath. Yeah, it's really, really, hoppy, but the hops are wonderful here and the fruit, while not as extreme as in an Arrogant Bastard, is very nicely presented.

T: Heavy hops flavor (duh), crisp and intensely bitter with fresh hops, with strong orange flavor. As the beer warms, the 21% alcohol becomes more prominent, but this only adds to the complexity of this wonderful brew.

M: Excelptional. Heavily-carbonated and very hoppy, it's an assault on the palate that is very, very, good -- after finishing the beer I couldn't taste a thing. I've tried Stone Ruination, and this is even more intense than that -- really amazing mouthfeel.

D: My notes simply say "dangerously drinkable" and it's true. I had a 12oz bottle of this -- if I'd had a bomber, I'd have drunk that and enjoyed every drop. The alcohol is hidden here very well by the overall flavor of the beer, and I rejoiced at every sip.

I used to not like hops. Still don't, when the beer itself doesn't match its hop presence. But here, as in other really fantastically hoppy beers like Rogue I2PA and Arrogant Bastard, the hop presence is nicely balanced within a really great fruit profile, and the overall experience is amazingly textured and good. I guess I'm just a reluctant hophead, but I guess anyone who loves this beer as much as I can't be considered anything but a fan of the hop-bombs. I'll buy this instantly the next time I see it.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

2006 12oz bottle in a snifter
The beer poured a golden color with very little head and little carbonation ( as expected in such a high abv brew). Left nice lacing as the head settle very quickly into a thin white covering. I was disappointed with the smell of this beer. I was expecting a great hop smell, but the sweet smell over powered the hop smell. It smelled of candied sugar with a hint of hops and alcohol following. The beer (like the 90 Minute) first hit me with a overly sweet taste, and followed with a decent hop presence. Alcohol warming definitely is a flavor in the profile, but not as dramatic as I expected in such a high abv beer. I don't think this beer tasted like a DIPA, but more like a really sweet barleywine. The mouthfeel was medium to thick and really coated the tongue. The drinkability was good for such a high abv beer, but sweetness really detracted from the overall experience. This beer is not really my cup of tea, but it is interesting enought to atleast try if you get the chance.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Sunset orange with golden pink edges. Small, ephemeral, off-white head. Didn’t expect much head though. Rum-soaked fruit up the wazoo. Sharp, tangy malt sweetness. Hops and alcohol mix together in a slightly burning manner. Interesting, boozy (but not overly). Soft, sweet doppelbock-ish malt sweetness. Sugary, candy malts come through. Fruity (estery) alcohol floods the palate. Tropicalia pineapple, mango, pears. Brandy. Singed hop flavor and futile bitterness come in later. Warming, sweet and sticky finish (long). Thick, soft, syrupy, but not cloying. Dangerous.

3.88/5  rDev -2%

12 oz. bottle dated 2003. The last beer of our february MCD meeting. we saved it until the end because we didn't want to be totally smashed while we were tasting everything else. Poured reddish brown with a small white head. looks fine. Mild hop smell. smells sweet, too, like cane sugar. Taste is sweet, alcohol tasting. syrupy sweet hop flavor. thick consistency, like a hoppy brandy. Oh man, i dont know if i could drink even a whole bottle by myself. too much alcohol. it hit me fast, too. but other than that, pretty good. 60 and 90 are better.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

I don't know why I am doing this to myself, but here is sit in front of my second bottle of DFH120. I tried it before and didn't like it...which is no wonder because I am not a hop head. I like their 90 min IPA, but I remember this one being WAY over the top. I have had this particular bottle about a year in my fridge, so hopefully the real greenness has subsided a little bit.

Gulp! Here goes...

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy orangish brown color with a small 1/8” head at first pour that fell within a few seconds. There are a few bubbles rising slowly through the thick liquid, but these don't maintain the head. There is some thin lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: All I really get in the nose is a bunch of citrusy hops. There is a bit of a toasty/caramel-like sweetness in here, but the hops rule the day. As the beer warms a bit, you can pick out specifically oranges and grapefruits.

Taste: Wow, now there is a LOT going on in this beer. Granted, it is mostly hops, but there is certainly some serious alcohol in there to give them a run for their money. There is a bit of sweetness that you can pick up in the beginning of the sample, but this doesn’t last long. I believe that it is the alcohol that blows it away first before the hops step in and completely annihilate your palate. This one will clear your sinuses! You get about two sips where you can discern one flavor from the next, but after that the alcohol has pretty much numbed your senses. This beer goes down more like a Hop Schnapps than a beer. The middle of the flavor profile is muddled from all of the sensations, and leads straight into the finish. The finale is a syrupy hoppy goo that coats the throat and leaves some serious warming in its wake...a bit like I imagine eating a tablespoon of Ben Gay would be like. As it warms up some, the alcohol becomes more noticeable, but the overall flavor takes on more of an orange juice-like character.

Opinion: Well, what can I say about such an anomaly of beer? There should be a special category for these project beers so that you won't put them there with some of the more palatable products on the market. You can't knock Sam for producing this beer, and it takes talent to squeeze the yeast this hard...but this ain't no session beer! I was happier with it this sample than I was last time…this may have to do with the fact that I aged it for a year, but I think that I am just more appreciative of the stronger beers here lately as I too have made a few in the 1.200 OG range this last year.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer pours a slightly hazy apricot with a head consisting of a film of uneven bubbles.

Smells of a combo of metallic, earthy, pineapple and oaky hops with a little wheat and honey beneath, followed by a smooth and gentle alcohol.

The flavor is amazingly dynamic. Starts with a zesty sour that wraps around the edges of my tongue and the presents a green grape and honey sweetness. This is followed by a dry tingly concoction of earthy, pineapple, plumb and oaky hops. Finishes with a nice dirty sting of dryness

Mouth feel is thin but dense with a light and tingly carbonation.

I have to ask, “where did the alcohol go?”. DFH once again does an amazing job of burring an amazing amount of booze. Delicious!

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz. bottle with no vintage year, but it's the latest bottling as far as I know. It pours a very clear orangey/amber with a thin 1/8" off-white head that leaves some bits of lacing. Upon closer inspection it appears unfiltered and even has a few beads of carbonation. Overall, it looks much better than I expected for something of this strength, but it's nothing to rave about. It smells of gentle fruits/hops (citrus, apricot), alcohol, and lots of sweetness. The taste is very sweet as well, with a dose of caramel, perhaps some smoke, and a good amount of fruits (orange, apricot). It is pretty bitter, yes, but... 120 IBUs? It's all hidden by the intense sweetness of the malts, which is also evident in the almost syrupy mouthfeel - it's one of the thickest beers I've come across. Also one of the most warming. Each sip feels like I just drank a liqueur, but I suppose it is as strong as some cordials. Not sure if I'd classify as a double IPA, as the malts seem to take the forefront here, and at times, the 120 reminds me of a barley wine. Apparently many reviewers here feel the same way. Too over the top I'd say, though not a bad beer. I'd like to see them tone the malts down some and let the IBUs come through. Not sure if I'd buy it again, but I'd drink it again if it were offered.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery