Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,122 | Hads: 7,426
3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a glowing orange color, very clear. Small bubbly white head. Smells sweet and of alcohol. Some minute hop presence in the nose. Taste is very sweet upfront. An alcohol presence makes a very nice appearance. There is some bitterness and hop flavor to balance out the sweetness, but not nearly as much as the sample I had on tap. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, as expected with a beer this big. Not very drinkable in a pounding sense, but for 21% alcohol its not bad. The tap version had even less alcohol presence. This sample is not very appealing. The taste is not hoppy enough. I guess I got spoiled by the tap version. Tap version is at the very least half a point higher. (685 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampled from a 12 oz. bottle:

Three-finger creamy/foamy head sits atop a slightly opaque golden colored beer. Rings of lacing throughout sampling. Smell was strong, hoppy and earthy, particularly reminiscent of grass, or peat. Taste was spicy, vinous like a barley wine and not as hoppy or bitter as I expected. Very smooth mouthfeel. A good beer, but possibly too overwhelming in terms of flavor and mouthfeel to use as a staple beer. (436 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

2003 edition

Small off white head, that dissipates quickly. Pours a deep copper with slight chill haze, poured a little to cold and let it warm. Left a small lace island floating on the surface.

Aroma seemed to have a grainy, grassy hop bouquet, this could be due to age. Smelled of sweet malts like that in unfermented wort, still lots of sugar left here. Alcohol will hit you in the nose!

Flavor consits of big bold sweet malts with lots of caramel. Nice piney hop bit still there, although I am sure it was huge when fresh. Smooth warming alcohol in the finish, just sip this one!

Mild carbonation but appropriate with a nice thick mouthfeel. This is surely one of my favorite cellared brews. I love the big IIPA's and barleywines after some age on them! (769 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%

2004 edition with the green cap in a 12oz bottle. Pours out orange with surprisingly good clarity and a slight white foamy head. Some rings of lace were left around the glass as it was consumed. Wow this has a strong nose, huge hop notes with a big alcohol as well. Almost smells like a hop juice liquor. The alcohol though quite noticeable really takes a back seat to the massive hops. The sweetness in the taste was a bit surprising. Plenty of hops going on but it seems it’s so hopped it’s a hop induced sweetness. Not quite cloying and the alcohol really plays a part in balancing that out. Tasty stuff, that would be better with a touch less sweetness in the flavor, but at this strength that might not be possible. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with a coating sweetness. Towards the end of the bottle the sweetness really started to get to me which hurt the drinkability a touch. Overall a masterful job on such a monster of a brew, that while it does have some flaws manages to be great. I’ll be interested to see what some time does to the 750s I have. (1,063 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%

Bottle: Poured a light hazy amber color ale with a huge bubbly head with better then average retention and better then expected considering the high level content of alcohol. Aroma is well obviously very hoppy with some sweetness. Taste is way sweeter then expected with some bitterness but not as much as expected. The sweetness is a bit too much for me and even a 341 ml bottle of this stuff seems too much for my liking. Not bad just not a good everyday beer and there is a few strong extreme beers I would drink before this one. (532 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -13.5%

Got this one after having a DFH 90 min. from the tap. "Damn, is this stuff hop bitter", I said to myself as I downed the 90. I saw a 12 oz. bottle of the 120 in the back of the cooler and took it home. I waited about a week before trying it. I wanted a real unbiased opinion. I read about the bitterness units and the 120 blew away the 90. So the rating said. When I finally opened the 120 the first sip was alcohol, followed by sweet. Somewhere in there the hops kicked in but from what I remembered, I though the 90 was much more harsh. I took me 35 minutes to down the one bottle. You have to sip this like cognac. While I did like the smell, taste and mouthfeel, drinkability suffers. I couldn't do more than one bottle. First, the 20 abv will have you ready for a root canal with out novacaine. (I was buzzed for more than an hour from one bottle.) Second, it's way to sweet/hoppy. And third, I don't know if it's the alcohol or the hops or the combination of everything but, I had some wicked heartburn after this one.
This is a good one for those special occasions when you need to forget the world for a while. Like when your house burns down or something. Two 120's and you'll forget everything. I'm glad I tried this one but I can't see me coming back for more. (1,274 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance - Pale orangish-amber color. This looka like any other pale ale or IPA out there. Off-white head is okay, retention is okay. Good lace.

Smell - Strong hoppy aroma, mostly floral. There is also a strong sweet smell. Very attractive. The smell of alcohol is in there as well.

Taste - Well, it is very bitter, but I was expecting something that was going to toss me on my behind. Much to my surprise, this beer is also quite sweet. Alcoholic warmth is very strong, but well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Great, very thick body. Sticky. This is truly a sippin' beer. The beer finishes with a alcoholic burn.

Drinkability - Contrary to some other reviews, I do not find this to be too alcoholic. Everything is well balanced. The severve bitternes is a little rough on the stomach. However, at $10 a bottle, I will not be drinking it too often, despite its wonderful characteristics.

Comments - Hopheads rejoice! At first, I was not really impressed with this stuff, but it grows on you. The bitterness will not kill you, but it should impress you. Truly a skillfully made beer! (1,090 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

Savored a 2005 120MIN IPA tonight. Beer poured with a minimal head and displayed a golden copper color in the glass. Aroma relects of a rich hop bouquet and discreet carmel undertones. First taste is an explosion of hop intensity. The balance of the high alcohol content, malt, and hop intensity creates what I would call a suprising sweetness. Subsequent tastes reveal the depths of the malt and hop mingling. The warming effect of the alcohol is evident, but not as intense as in the high-alcohol barleywine and stout offering by Dogfish Head. This beer is a tribute to the power of the hop and is to be treasured. (616 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

The only thing really overwhelming about this beer is the amount of alcohol. It can be pretty safely described as DF 90 Minute IPA with twice the alcohol, but no more taste. That's not necessarily bad, but the 10% ABV of the 90 is more than enough for me. This would make a good sipper to substitute for a whisky or scotch. (323 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%

Tasted on a warming spring day while high gravity homebrewing.

With an grassy floral hop and sweet malt-fusel alcoholic aroma 120 hits you like a spring SW wind. This American double IPA's 20% ABV will bath you and melt the windows of your mind.

Smooth as a warming spring day. Thick as molten glass. Sweet as a chorus of spring birds. Tastes as well as it drinks.

Expect that aged it becomes more poetic.

Follow with a 90 and and your crucified for the remains of the day!

To the Thawing Wind by Rob Frost

COME with rain, O loud Southwester!
Bring the singer, bring the nester;
Give the buried flower a dream;
Make the settled snow-bank steam;
Find the brown beneath the white;
But whate’er you do to-night,
Bathe my window, make it flow,
Melt it as the ices go;
Melt the glass and leave the sticks
Like a hermit’s crucifix; (866 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

OH my GAWD is this potent shit!!!

I finally got to have my DFH IPA tasting... 60, 90, and 120 minute side by side. 12 oz. bottles. THAT was an experience... and gave me one HELL of a buzz.

This particular one had almost no head, but did leave lacing on the glass, as the other two did. Visually, all three were pretty close. They were all clear, yellow, and a bit fizzy.

This one's aroma was of intense aromatic hops, overlying a deep malt fruitiness. Like the others, but twice as much. Also, there was an alcohol presence that the others did not have.

The taste... INTENSE bittering hops, smoothing out to a mild bitter pine taste with an alcohol aftertaste. Didn't taste like a 20%, but maybe a 15%. It was definitely there. Again, quite a bit like the others, but doubled.

Mouthfeel was pretty thick... VERY chewy.

And drinkability? The one bottle was enough for me, thanks. Wouldn't want to do more than that.

It was a hell of an experience, one that I think I was glad to have, if I remember it right through the haze. One word of advice... if you're going to try this, don't do it in under an hour. Unless you plan on going to sleep early. (1,156 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -70.7%

12 oz bottle pours a hazy orange copper with a small off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass, funny pine aroma like a mix of Pine-Sol cleaner and Off insect repellent. Super sweet orange, maple syrup and alcohol flavors. Full bodied with a thick sticky syrupy mouthfeel, finishes with a lingering sweetness. A 12 oz bottle is too much for me, after only a few sips I am done...way too sweet, hard to dump such an expensive beer but I have no choice. (460 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

The beer pours a hazy reddish gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a warm pale malt scent with a smooth floral hop aroma that balances the elevated abv. nicely. The taste is good. It has a rich and tasety pale malt flavor with some carapils and a warm finish. It is rich in hops as well with a very complex hop palate. It is sweet and satisfying. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an excellent beer that goes down slow, but is a good drinker. I love hops. (565 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a deep amber color with a small head that doesn't last no lace but expected none.
Aroma is lots of malt sweet caramel some toffee lots of citrus hops hit the nose at the start but soon fade under the malt.
Woo taste is really sweet lots of candy like sugars then lingering caramel lasts for a while until the citrus hops add some flavor to try and drown out the overwhelming sweetness to no success. This beer needs lots more hops to balance it out. Some alcohol flavors show up here and there but are not strong considering the 20%.
Mouthfeel is big surpy almost very full but how could it not be considering the malt in this beer.
Drinkability is not good way to sweet to be drinkable for me. Still this is a beer everyone try atleast once just to experience it (777 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%

2004 vintage. This is the first time I've had a fresh 120, all other times they were at least a year or two old. I gotta say I like this one fresh.

It pours golden honey colored with a shaggy white head that quickly fades, leaving thick trails of lace in my Delerium tulip. A swirl around the glass shows that it is a thick, viscous brew.

It smells like I'm in a flower garden here. Super bright, floral and orangey citrus hops dominate the nose. Like honey drenched hop flowers, it is a combination of sweet and spicey.

Awesome upfront burst of malt sweetness quickly overshadowed by intense floral, citrus, candied fruit, clover honey, and pinecone flavors. Very deep and complex hops are the highlight.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and coating. Finish is sweet fade into hop oblivion. Alcohol is warming, but does not steal the sceen.

Like I said, I like this much better than the cellared bottled I've had. It's far less sweet, and has a lot better hop profile. I think another 3-4 months may help round it out and mellow the heat a bit, but it tastes pretty damn amazing now! (1,093 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Quite clear medium brassy golden color, moderately carbonated with a small off-white head, which retains well.

Aroma: Devastating floral, orange, and light sweet fruit hop aroma, hiding beneath all of this is some light malt, amazing that it was able to assert itself amidst all of the hop pungency. That being said, the hop aroma is more floral and tangy, rather than being bitter.

Taste: Incredibly sweet caramel malt balanced against intense, but mild hop flavors. The staggering alcoholic content of twenty percent goes largely unnoticed in the taste, due to the sweet malt character, tangy light fruit notes, and lesser hops, although it is quite warming. Finishes with a note that is slightly reminiscent of port.

Mouth feel: Very smooth, quite thick and syrupy, feels like a cordial on the palette.

Drinkability/notes: A most interesting creation, quite difficult to categorize. Those expecting over the top hop bitterness will be disappointed; it has a very high alcoholic content, but this goes largely unnoticed until afterwards, so it lacks a significant characteristic of Old Ale or Barley wine. Well worth a try, if only to ponder over. Considering the alcoholic content, a beer that is best shared, rather than consumed alone in silence. (1,277 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -23%

Well, I do consider myself a hophead so let's see. It pours a cloudy copper color with a decent head out of the 12oz bottle. The aroma is definately hops, overpowering any malt and even that 21% alcohol. My first guess is a citrusy centennial or amarillo hop, but as I let it sit my nose tells me piney northern brewer, or possibly chinook. The flavor is surprisingly harsh, with the hop flavor being somewhat grassy and medicinal. There just doesn't seem to be enough malt flavor to balance the hops. I am impressed at the subdued nature of the alcohol. My palate seems a little sore from the harshness. Overall, I like what they are doing, and the idea, and the product delivers in the aroma, but I was disappointed with the overall product. (743 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours to a deep golden color with minimal white head and a bit of lacing. The aroma is citrusy with a bit of grapefruit, balanced out by a solid malt backbone. Alcohol is present in the aroma as well. The flavor is malty and sugary sweet. It has a citrus hop flavor throughout, along with alcohol. It is medium-full in body and easy drinking considering its strength. Not a bad brew. Well balanced. I thought that this was going to be over the top bitter, but that was not the case. Nice. (488 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

I violated my review rules and read another review before I wrote this one. Here's why - I had different experience with the same tap: Spuyten Duyvel, Bkln 11/27/04. Ok, yeah, its stong as hell and yes kinda like bourbon. I found it to be frighteningly drinkable though. I did only have one, so as not to make the early morning rain swept holiday traffic commute back to Boston that much worse. It was well hopped but also well balanced - quite an accomplishment at its strength. I had a hard time believing it was 20%, sure its a sipper, but I didn't labor to finish it. Maybe it was at the magic spot in the keg, maybe the Cantillon I had before it was the perfect warmup, or maybe I have alien DNA but I found 120 to be a real pleasure. I have the impression that in the bottle this is much more of a beast but the magic of the tap's introducing some air and letting out some of the demon spirit really tamed it. (915 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.7%

I had this beer on tap at... where else? Spuyten Duyvil.

I don't know how to exactly rate this beer according to style, because let's face it, are there really any other beers in its class?

It's 20% alcohol, and nobody even comes close. An American Double IPA? Lol. This stuff is a licquer.

I have to give them props for the nice appearance. To have a beer this strong and this light in color (a nice amber hue) is pretty amazing. It obviously took a lot of malt to achieve the gravity, even if they only took the first runnings.

The smell was pretty good too. Obviously, it was packed with aroma hops, but then again, I think it was necessary. Underneath the smell of hops was the lingering of higher fusel alcohols, and it could be detected more and more with every whiff.

The taste? Well, it was balanced, but then again, it kind of tasted like gasoline.

The mouthfeel was pretty good. It was thinner than what I expected for being so high in alcohol.

I don't think this beer is very drinkable. As a matter of fact, it's only a sipper. It just doesn't go down easy. But I think that's how it's meant to be, one glass and you're done. But it was a struggle, even if it was only one glass. (1,213 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

Label Lingo and bottle babble: Rather plain 12 oz’er with a single label hop leaf decorated label. Brewed in 2004 notch. Cap: Lime green with a black triangle and shark silhouette.

Clear orange glow under a statuesque rock solid antique white tightly constructed head cap and endless champagne bubbles rising. Lace? Try paint. A few swirls erupts this to a coating that sticks.

Pungent sweet hop oil and pine sap aromas like a nugget of hops. Grassy blast with some malt to back up this out of control hop tornado.

First Swigs: Fusel burning hop juice. My tongue is blasted off the perception map after one sip. Burn goes down the gullet. There can be no description written to describe this cooker. My tongue is torched. Seriously speaking, there is an orange juice concentrate flavor. Under the avalanche of fusel hops, some malt character emerges. Complex as complex can be.

Full bodied, coating like a Home Depot roller was rolled on my tongue. Coated like a sip of Ouzo 12. Despite the hotness and isopropyl notes, this sucker is drinkable. Another would be most appreciated, if there were another.

Last Swigs: Rummy awl-kee-hawl pine hop syrup. Calling this an Imperial IPA is like calling rocket fuel Imperial gasoline. This is the stuff that other IPAs are made of add water. This is the first time that a beer inspired me to reflect upon the condition of my esaphagous. The most references to body parts ever used. This is just an insane brew. For making it and for drinking it. This is a 100% MUST HAVE for those that dare. Otherwise, you are not missing much of a burn and hop oil imbiber. All reviews from BA are loooong. This punishes your tongue (and liver) more so than Ruination. 90 minute plus rum.

$7.95 from Circle Liquors, NJ.

Beer is good. Happy 20% ABV beering. (1,807 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a deep orange color with a descent size head with nice lacing.
The smell was very malty. I guess that has something to do with the 20% abv. The sweetness was overpowering in the smell and I could hardly discern any floral notes.
The taste hit right away with a massive flow of sweet malt. Too much in my opinion.(perhaps I should have let it sit longer than the 6months) It seemed more like sugar water than a beer since it was on the lower side of carbonation. Not much of a hoppy bite like in the traditional IPA. I will give it this; being 20% abv I was expecting a very strong alcohol taste, it wasnt there it was smooth in the texture and taste. (660 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (12 oz):

OK, the wife is away for the night...so I'll spend the evening with a big IPA. Yeah, I know DFH says it's an IPA but one sip says this ain't no IPA. A sweet barleywine-ish mix of cooking sherry (yeah, I know ya' shouldn’t cook with wine ya' wouldn't drink...but, I digress) and maple syrup really. It's cloying sweetness diminishes somewhat as it warms, but still not much fun to drink/sip/whatever. The high ABV makes it a serious sipper, but it is too damn sweet to do anything else with it no matter the ABV. This was a 2004 bottling of the 12 oz version...and a stark contrast to what I enjoyed on tap at the AOBF '03. I gotta say though, the 20% ABV is well disguised...no small feat. I still have an '03 750 ml original in the cellar, and after this 12 oz version I'm thinking I'll let that bad boy sit for quite some time.

Cooking Sherry (working Def): Sherry with added salt...undrinkable and for cooking only.

Cheers... (976 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

This is the 'O4 version I am pouring from a 12 oz. bottle to which I am still not sure the difference between 12 oz. bottles and the larger bottles and why that would affect taste, so respond to me and tell me if you know...

anyways, I poured this MOST anticipated IPA into my goblet, which I call Trusty, and was blown away by how clean it poured. It poured a coppery, amberish also in color, and left a nice 1/4" head that left nice lacing on the sides of Trusty.

To smell it...oh my GOD! Can I get some hops with my sugar please!!!???? The hops smell was suprising subtle next to the smell of sugary sweetness w/ tones of citrus in there as well. As I began to tilt the glass to sip, the hops shot up my nostrals and left me with some delightment.

Taste- Okay, I am biased about DogFish Head in that I enjoy their beers maybe more than from any other brewer, but I have to say that after having the 90 minute, I didn't think it could get any better than that...well, it did...a half hour of hopping sure makes a difference in taste and feel. From the start the 20% alcohol doesn't mess around and hits you with burn right away. It makes it tough to taste any hops, which you do get some there and they come on at the end of the swallow and leave a great aftertaste, along with lots of sugar there. Due to the carbonation and alcohol burn along with hops, I almost got a peppery taste in there that was interesting.

Mouthfeel- aside from the destruction of my palette due to alcohol burn (yager style), this beer is a very creamy, full-bodied Imperial IPA to which no others can hang with! Decent carbonation there, bitey alcohol; what more can you ask for from DogFish?

I wanted to wait for a few years to crack this, but I had a hardon (almost literally) when I got this bottle and I knew I couldn't wait...i am glad I didn't...but I know the next bottle will sit for a year or so! (1,902 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +17.9%

regarding the other reviews, I suspect this wouldnt be as good in a bottle, but I was lucky to get it on tap (4 oz serving in a snifter). You don't immediately sense the alcohol at all, and the light brown color throws you off (but seems consistent with the style). I too thought that at 20% + it might be barley wine style-ish but on tap it was not nearly as syrupy as say foghorn or bigfoot. Dogfish hit a homerun in my book, for this depth this is unreal. You could slug this stuff if challenged but yet sipping provided a much nicer experience. I really did not feel an overwhelming alcohol nose or flavor. It flowed nicely with barely any head, correct carbonation, just enough to slide over the tongue. After a little 4 oz version the alcohol hits you, the strength on the start is way less than barley wine in notice-ability imo, although I understand the comparison. It was very light feeling on the stomach consisdering the strength of the brew. It had a nice light mahogany color, and very clear, not much lace on the glass after sips. On tap, this is an absolutely great beer, on bottle? Read the other reviews. (1,122 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery