120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,056
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

2.43/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle dated 5/1/09 poured into my Dogfish snifter. It poured a murky orange amber color with a thin white lacing scattered across the top of the beer.

The aroma is sweet, sugary and boozy. The hops pretty much either faded away at this point or are overshadowed by the sweet maltiness. Caramel, brown sugar and alcohol are the main flavors I get out of it.

The taste is also extremely sweet and boozy. There is some caramel maltiness to it, but it's more of a sugary, candy like flavor. The finish has a touch of residual hop bitterness, but not nearly enough. The alcohol also shows through too much, giving it a hot, boozy finish.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with carbonation being low for the style. Overall, I don't think it aged well at all and was approaching undrinkable. The lack of hoppiness just made it cloyingly sweet and boozy. It was kind of like a bad, really unbalanced, one dimensional barleywine. I've had it fresh and remember liking it better than this bottle. I'll make an effort to revisit a fresh bottle and update my review when I can find one.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

2012 Vintage bottle poured into a snifter. I've had it on 2 prior occasions but this will be my first review of it.

A- Pours like a classic DIPA: nice amber orange color with a finger's worth of head that sticks around for awhile. Some lacing along the sides of the glass.

S- Some citrus and overall sweetness in the aroma, but otherwise underwhelming.

T- Up front 120 is very sweet and almost syrupy. The hoppy bitterness is there but not as much as you'd think for 120 IBUs. The alcohol dominates the backend of the taste.

M- Thick, syrupy, bitter but not bitter enough. Drinks pretty hot.

My review might not seem like it but I do enjoy 120 minute IPA, I'm just more aware of its flaws now. The last time I had this was sometime in 2009 when I was new to craft beers. My palate has changed alot since then. 120 is nice but I feel the alcohol overpowers everything else, making it a bit unbalanced. I would like more of the hops to shine through, especially with this being a fresh bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

a- Poured a slightly cloudy orange, not amber, but orange, like almost orange soda orange, with a half inch head that reduced to a thin ring with a film of bubbles after a minute. Minimal to no lacing on the glass, possibly due to high alcohol.

s- The smell is strange, it basically smells just like a barley wine, and not at all like I was expecting. I'm smelling a slight pine scent, brandy/bourbon, barley wine, sugar, and alcohol.

t- It's not the most complex beer, but considering the high alcohol content it tastes very smooth. It tastes similarly to barley wine, with an almost white-grape flavor, caramel, and coriander up front, then a warming alcohol zing, especially as it warms, and then a bitter citrus flavor on the finish.

m- The mouthfeel doesn't really stand out as a factor in this beer for me either way. It isn't bad, but it's not exciting. I'm glad that it's not too thick though.

o- I give it a 4 overall because if it ages well I can see how it would be very good aged. I also think that considering how high powered this beer is, it's damn well balanced. I wish it we're a little less sweet and a bit more bitter, but alas.

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer is a real treat.

Its golden appearance entices you to take a wiff. The smell: sweet hops and booze. The taste is sweet, fruity, boozy, and of course HOPS! I love the mouthfeel; its low carbonation makes this feel more like a hop liquor than a beer. Overall, I recommend EVERY hop head taste this beer. But be warned, it's not for everyone. Cheers!

3.21/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Cigar City snifter glass. This is a fresh bottle, only a couple weeks old.

A: Hazy orange in color, with a half-finger of white head and a good amount of visible carbonation.

S: Orange and pine hops trade places up front with the boozy acetone aroma. Did I mention it smells boozy?

T: This tastes like it smell. Citrus with some pine hop flavor, sweet booze, acetone, and some sweet malt. Sweet with a big boozy burn in the hang.

M: Sticky mouthfeel, a heavy body for style. And huge alcohol flavor.

O: I've now had this aged and fresh, and I just really don't like this. I get it's an alcohol bomb, huge ABV...but it doesn't taste good. I'm giving it some points for creativity and pushing-the-limits-of-style panache...but again, it doesn't taste good. There are some other high gravity beers that are just far, far superior in the enjoyability department.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery