120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,128 | Reviews: 2,126

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Alright, before I even crack this girl open, I have to remark: 18% alcohol? Kiss my mother loving grits, that is a dirty girl. I've been sitting on this beer for a while now, waiting for the right moment, and now, tonight, on a wonderful isolated Friday night, I shall indulge.

A - The appearance is a molasses orange peel with a milk-white head that is about a half of a finger. Great lacing, great retention.

S - The smell explodes with hoppiness and pine resin which overrides the immense alcoholic nature of this beverage, you can definitely smell the alcohol though (actually it's pretty in your face, especially as it warms), and there is a grapefruit quality to it as well.

T - Wow. Woah. Wee. Wowoahwee. This crosses the line between beer and liqueur. I've been told the difference maker with this beer is that you need to approach it with the right attitude, this is not a beer to chug, you need to take small sips, like your drinking whiskey. Entirely unique. The obvious flavor here is orange. I'm actually surprised at just how drinkable this is. And it's GOOD. My god is this good. But it's so different, I feel like it belongs in a class of it's own. Overwhelmingly bitter/sweet with a warming sensation that is no longer a warming sensation but an outright alcohol burn as it goes down into you. This might not be for everyone but it is for me...Towards the end the flavors become more and more sweet with almost a juicy fruity flavor to it and yet a big dry alcoholic finish. Crazy hops in this one, crazy alcoholic, great fruit flavors. I love this beer. So unique. So good. I am definitely going to pick up another one the next time I see it.

M - Full bodied to be sure, but I've had barley wines that are thicker and more gooey than this. It's owing to just the right amount of carbonation that keeps it from being bogged down. Just perfectly crafted.

O - What more can I say. I've never had anything like this in my relatively short beer drinking career. I can't compare it to the 60 or 90 minute because this beer is completely unlike them even while it is like them. I love this beer, it is a damn courageous undertaking for any brewer and it was created beautifully.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Deep, orangy-amber (I rated it higher than I otherwise would have for the interesting color). Golden head with large bubbles, faded quickly without much lacing.

S: Floral and citrus hops, definitely. A little malt. Sweet fruit, perhaps grape juice, trying to peek through the stronger aromas.

T: In-your-face intensity from start to finish! First, very sweet malt, almost like extra sugar was added to help boost the ABV (initially it reminded me of a mead). Next, a biting wave of grapefruit juice, both tart and bitter. There are some mild phenolic and (banana-like) ester notes later. Finally it moves toward a strong finish of pine needles, with a lingering bitterness that slowly recedes.

M: Crisp and well-carbonated, but I hardly noticed in the face of such intense flavors. There was a little astringency in the finish.

O: I'd put this in the category of a strong liquor, meant to be sipped in small quanities to sample the flavors, rather than enjoyed in any quantity. It really isn't worth $10 a bottle to consume all by yourself (even the 6-ounce half-pour I had splitting the bottle with a friend was wearing me down by the bottom of the glass) -- Get 5 buddies together and each of you can have 2 ounces, which will be enough to fully appreciate all the nuances without it getting old.

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%

Fresh bottle poured into a tulip murky burnt orange with a two finger white head. Great lacing and good retention.

The nose: I have a bad sense of smell but this thing is making my nose do cart wheels. Lots of floural notes and even a carmel scent. Maybe what I'm noticing is just a sweet scent that is kinda carmel like.

The taste is like a mouthful of sugary sweetness up front. The hop bitterness really is rather low for what I expected for an IIPA. I would almost compare this to a fresh hoppy barleywine. It's either there's too much of a sweet malt front, or not enough of a hoppy bite. With the amount of hops they use, I think it's more of the prior.

Mouth feel is HIGH in alcohol burn. Almost like drinking a good whiskey. But the body is perfect for the style.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle poured into mu CBS snifter

A: Pours a dark golden color with a very nice cream colored head.

S: Smell is way more "IPA" than I was expecting. Citrusy hops, pine, cedar and oak all present with a bit of caramel and earthy malt tucked in the background.

T: It's definitely a big boy, but this is smooth as hell. Big and malty upfront with a firm and piny hoppy backbone. Alcohol is definitely there , tastes a bit like grand marnier, but it's remarkably well hidden.

M : Mouthfeel has just enough prickly carbonation to hold down the syrupy ness.

O : Really well done. I like it !

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(1 year aged) Unfair to label this a brew - it is much more... an after dinner drink, more like a port or Ice wine in how it should be savored. Drank slowly to enjoy all of the hoppy flavors we love coming at you larger than your normal hop experience. Pours with a nice mellow head and a deep shade of autumn color. Nose is sweet caramel and hops, with a definite presence of alcohol but to be expected. The taste is smoother than the aroma - while alcohol is present - it is not the first experience which is more sweet maybe a Belgian candy with floral to spicey hops present. Well done - nice to enjoy once in a while.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery