120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,108 | Hads: 7,374
4.67/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Its was more or less Hop Liquor at this fucking point. I drank 9 ounces on an empty stomach and o boy...Great beer. Great experience. A bit of a let down? I expected 5 out of 5. (177 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle during a bottle share. I only got about 3 ozs and poured into a pilsner glass. Poured a burnt orange, amber color with a thin head that quickly disappeared. Aromas of booze, booze and more booze with some malt and hops lying beneath. Little scared what it might taste like. Turned out to be pleasantly surprised. Yes lots of booze with a little burn on the finish but a nice mix of malts, hops with fruit. Caramelized sugars are in there as well. Sweet taste that lingers on the aftertaste along with hops and booze. Leaves a tangy taste in the mouth. More West Coast IPA than East Coast pine tree. Still sucks the spit out of your mouth like all IPAs. But less than most. However, I am guessing a full glass would dry you out due to the alcoholic content. Probably the perfect beer for outdoor hockey season on a cold day or night. However, I sure as heck wouldn't be driving and drinking more than 1 of these beers. (958 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this one before on the fly but wanted to take a better look since coming here to BA.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tall tulip glass. Hazy golden amber with thin head and light lacing. Incredibly tiny bubbles but a good amount of them.

Smells of sweetened medium roast malts, cirtusy apricots, brown sugar, and even a little bit of cocoa. WOW this has a lot of things going on. It's difficult even putting a finger on some of the smells since I will type and put it up to my nose and find different things about it. Really complex and not nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be, but in no way is that a bad thing.

Overall an amazing beer and well worth the $13 I paid for a 12oz bottle. (703 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light brown with thin white head which quickly dissapears. Definetly get a strong scent of alcohol. Tastes of fruit, hops, slight orange tint. The alcohol is fairly present and noticeable on the back end. The strongest beer I have had to date. Is enjoyable but do prefer 90 minute out of the 3 main offerings in the series. (332 characters)

If I was stranded on an island and I could only bring an endless supply of one type of beer with me, this would be the one. I do believe this is the greatest beer I've ever drank in my life. The flavor is awesome and the feeling I get from one is generally clean and positive. I think that sounds strange, but I believe it to be true. Every time I drink this beer I feel happy, whereas with some other beers (not all, of course) it can be quite the opposite.

I wish this beer was a person so I could be good friends with it. (525 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L- Very Attractive burnt orange, amber color. Thin quickly dissipating head

S- Boozy, tingling nose, nice malt and hop balance. Booze kind of overpowers most scent traces.

T- Surprisingly mellow in terms of booze, but still has a distinct burn and alcohol finish. Hops start mostly in the middle and stick through to the finish. Dominated by hops and caramel but still very balanced. Fruit flavors come forward as the beer warms and you sip (and boy is this beer a sipper). A sweetness lingers towards the end from the alcohol that works with the fruity tastes. The "fruit" aspect seems to lack a citrus/tangy flavor that I tend to like in IIPAs, but still a great flavor profile.

F- Chewy mouthfeel. Sticks to the back of your tongue and makes you salivate, which prevents the alcohol and hops from drying out your mouth.

Overall- An easy decision every year to grab. Enjoying this while snowed in and its a perfect late winter beer on a night where you don't need to operate a vehicle or heavy machinery. 90 Minute is still a better IPA in my opinion, but this is a nice and decadent and rich flavored beer to treat yourself with when you can. (1,152 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Knocked me on my ass. This is the purple drank of beers.

I can't do a fair review until I get the opportunity to have another one, but it was the best beer I've ever had. The distribution range is pretty limited, unfortunately. The 60-minute is also incredible if you can't spring for the alcohol content. But you can. I mean, come on. (336 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Came across a couple bottles and snatched them up. I cracked one open and decided to age the others. Definitely in your face with the heat but I really enjoyed it. Can't drink these that often but a nice treat once in a while. (229 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

This beer lives up to its reputation. The taste was surprisingly more mild then I expected a high content beer like this to be. If you can find it grab it immediately. (167 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap.

Ok, I have never had this and when I saw my local taproom had it on tap I knew I had to give it a try to see what all the hype was about. I am not an IPA fan. The only IPA I like is Hopslam so I was skeptical going into this. A/Golden hue which I was expecting. S/Hoppy and sweet. I am not too sure what I was smelling that was sweet. T/Wow! This was thick almost syrupy with a sweet taste. It reminded me of a Barley Wine and then the hops hit me near the end. The hops were not a bad thing like in other IPA's I have had. It did not seem to kill my palate and the hops seemed to be balanced. I think some breweries throw as many different kinds of hops in and load it to the max and end up having a bitter, palate killing beer which people love, but I think DFH thought this one through and took their time. O/ I will search this out again but at 18% you have to make a commitment to it :) I can say I was very pleased and impressed. I feel that this beer lived up to its reputation. Well done!!

Just as an afterthought I did not think the alcohol was too apparent but my GF said "It is good but I feel like the alcohol just punched me in the face." haha (1,187 characters)

Bought 2 , i guess late 2015/eRly 2015. Totally Lived up to the hype. I bought 2 with the idea of aging. Not going to happen. Cant wait for the next special occasion to break it open. Next friday will do. (204 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Looks good smells good. Going to catch a lot of flak for this but tastes like straight alcohol. Might have tasted slight citrus before it burned my palate. (155 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Picked up one with a bottled date of June 2014, so nearly a year old. It looked and smelled like orange soda. It tasted almost like a sweet alcohol, almost brandy-like, with absolutely no burn. I was at first just a little bit disappointed as I thought it would be overwhelmingly bitter, but that comes on the finish. Not sure if it being aged changed it a bit. But wow, like nothing I've had before. $13 bottle was pricey, but I'll be trying again soon. (461 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: It is a hazy dark orange that you can hardly see through.

S: It has a surprisingly sweet malt smell followed by the big hops and of course, the booze.

T: Tropical Fruits at the beginning, followed by the booze and hops. after the first few sips, it all blends together.

F: It is very carbonated for the ABV, its got a good body, not too thick

Overall this is a great beer fresh or aged. I am reviewing the newest batch from 2014. I would strongly suggest sharing this with at least one other person, its a lot for one person. (533 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's nice when you realize that your palate may have been untrained the first time you experienced a certain beer. I recall submitting a post about the only beer I ever drain poured. DFH, forgive me. My best guess is that I didn't check a bottled on date when I danced with this devil more than 7 years ago. Despite claims that it ages well, I am digging the hoppy experience I'm getting from a super fresh bottle. One whiff and a bed of hop cones made their way up the nasal cavity. That intensified with the first sip, featuring multiple layers of citrus notes on steroids, tethered with a honey-like sweetness that conditioned the effervescence of the warming alcohol. Fresh baked bread, so doughy and sweet -- this brilliant mothereffer is one exceptional treat. Hats off to Sam and his entire crew. I am sorry that I revisited this world-class beverage with reservations. My palate just did a flawless rendition of Beethoven's unreleased symphony. This beer is larrrrrrrrge!!! (981 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Super aggressive and super fun.
start off with this beast, splitting it up with friends, will help get the party started right. = enter BEAST MODE 120
suggest you don't drink more then 1 and go with a session-able beer after this (229 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Acknowledging this was a 9-month old bottle, so perhaps the more identifiable hop notes had disappeared by now, but otherwise I'm hard pressed to conceive how this can be called an IPA. Incredibly sweet, overwhelmingly so, the sweetness cut simply by the warming booze. Perhaps as it warmed some acidic hop notes emerge, but they're quiet at best and do nothing to stem the tide of sickeningly sweet malt and booze. I applaud the novelty of it all and the effort to experiment/expand our notion of beer...but this just falls incredibly flat. (541 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

Nectar of the Gods. The reason I gave it a 4.75 overall is because I have to drive to the East Coast to get it. I live in KC. Worth every penny though. (151 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally decided that because I got hired for a new job, I had to open my 120 that was bottled in September 2014. It's the first time I'm having one and I couldn't wait any longer.

A: Hazy, dark orange/brown. I'm unable to physically see my fingers through the glass.

S: I was surprised here. I was expecting a harsh west coast smell, but it's actually much more malty, with a subtle smell of hops, and alcohol on the back.

T: Starts off almost like a white wine, with a malty back, and then a slight bitter hops, before the booze hits on the back. Not at all like any beer I've had, and it almost pushes a wine/liquor drink. It has a roasty oak flavor that is something special as well. As it warms a more grapefruit note comes through as the malt takes a back seat.

F: Not the thickest beers I've drank, but it has some body. It actually is quite smooth, and carbonated well. I've had a 16% before, and this one is 100x easier to drink than the 16% I had.

O: As I find myself getting boozed up off of one beer, I can't help but be amazed at what I'm drinking. It's an experience like no other, and just because it's a 120 min IPA, don't expect it to be a hop bomb. It's very complex, and is something everyone needs to be willing to throw the money at and try. (1,280 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: nice unfiltered orange/caramel color, very little head to speak of.

Smell: lots of hops, and enough alcohol burn to singe my nostrils! (exaggerating of course)

Taste: mango/pear sweetness interlaced with bitter hops. Alcohol burn really sets in at the end.

Feel: Very well carbonated despite the lack of head. Lots of body, but again the alcohol burn distracts.

Overall: if not for the major burn, this is a perfect sweet big beer. A personal favorite of mine regardless, love to have one of these every year. (527 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had one fresh bottled and one aged for a year. The dried fruit flavor of the fresh bottle was very prevalent. Much more rounded caramel flavor in the aged bottle. No difference in color between the two. (202 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +27%

A - Pours a dark golden Amber honey and orange. Forms a finger of quickly dissipating yellow-tan head.
S - Sweet hops, oranges, peaches, grapefruit, mango, bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, caramel and tons of alcohol on the nose of this brew.
T - Tons of sweet alcohol and peach upfront, this fades into a chest-warming bourbon, caramel, vanilla and brown sugar. Tons of alcohol.
O - A one of a kind IPA. This is both a drink and a life experience. And should only be tried by those who are IPA veterans. Nothing else like it in the world.
V - Very expensive, almost 10 dollars for a single bottle. (600 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%

Brilliant. Caramel corn nose and initial taste. With a year or two on it this is a beautifully chewy barleywine-esque beer. Huge butter and toffee nose with a smooth and bitter finish. Outstanding. (197 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 09/17/14. I drink few IPAs so I am by no means an expert, but this is an EXCELLENT beer. I really enjoy this one. Hoppiness is not overbearing, but it let's you know it is there. Quite a bit of heat on this one though. Fruity aromas, lemon, orange. These can be detected in the taste as well. I would buy this all the time if it wasn't so expensive, but I'll enjoy this one and the other one I have left. (415 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow.

Aged since July 2013.

Delicious. Very hot alcoholic finish even still.
Very sweet but well balanced. Dark fruit flavors. Raisins. Dark chocolate. Apricot kinda.

Very delicious and worth the wait. (203 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery