120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,023
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +8%

While thoroughly examining the impressive beer menu at the Sunset Grill & Tap in Boston, MA, I noticed it. Could it be? Yes, to my surprise, they had Dogfish Head's elusive 120 Minute IPA on tap.. and there was no way I could walk out of that establishment without having tried it.

Appearance: the lighting at the bar was dark, which limited my ability to fully assess it's appearance. However, it's color is dark orange with a thin head.

Smell: right away, you could detect the booziness in the nose. This smell of alcohol seemed to fuse with the remaining citrus scents.

Taste: wow; unlike any other beer I've ever had! This beer has more than enough sweetness to balance out the gargantuan 120 IBUs. The hops are front and center, yet somehow, they don't seem to overpower the rest of the beer. The finish really sets the 120 apart from other IPAs; there's a bitter and warming sensation from the 18% alcohol that lasts longer than any other beer I've had to date.

Mouthfeel: there is a density in the mouthfeel that really demonstrates how big this beer really is. Almost syrupy in nature.

Overall: Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA is a truly unique beer. Often labelled a "sipper", I found it difficult to put my glass down. A must try for anyone that considers themselves a hop-head.

BlastBeats, Aug 26, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Served on tap in a snifter at Fountainhead.

Appearance: There is a warmness in the appearance. This pours an amber copper color with a lot of life. A small off-white foamy cap gently rests on top and then fades to a ring. This is dangerous, like a venus fly trap luring me in under a guise of beauty without disclosing there is danger ahead.

Smell: Crystalized raw sugar, caramelized grapefruit, toffee, brown sugar, and some sticky pine are all present in excess. Some nice bready malt aroma exists in the background.

Taste: This is somewhat syrupy and intense, which is not a surprise. Lots of sweet caramel malt with brown sugar, vanilla, and a touch of toffee. I take back every time I have ever said a beer tasted like caramelized grapefruit, because this changes my whole perspective. This is just dripping with caramel and grapefruit rind, taking the flavor from sweet to bitter with authority. Prickly pine and some dank herbal hops play in as well. There is nothing understated here.

Mouthfeel: There is no way this could be anything besides full bodied, but the ultra creamy carbonation is a great feature. Tingly, sticky, and sweet, this has a lot of kick.

Overall: This is the kind of power I look for in a DIPA. Delicious as well. I can see why some people will age this like a barleywine, but I will drink it fresh.

KickInTheChalice, Aug 24, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -46.3%

2011 vintage (20% ABV) bottle poured into flared pint glass.

A: The beer poured a golden yellow color with a very small head of creamy white foam. The beer was thick, and numerous strands of bubbles were racing to the surface. Heavy lacing clung to the sides of the glass.

S: My first thought upon putting my nose near the surface was "this smells like an alcoholic grapefruit." Along with the grapefruit, I get notes of apricot, caramel, paint thinner, Pine Sol and modeling glue. Wow, this is one combustible brew that I'm not very excited about drinking.

T: I felt like I was drinking carbonated Citron Vodka with a shot of melon liqueur, rubbing alcohol and Pine Sol. There is a trace of grapefruit, candied apricot and caramel in there, but it is completely drowned out by the sickly sweet taste and massive booziness.

M: Very low carbonation with a creamy but sickly sweet and sticky mouth feel. I honestly did not want to leave this in my mouth long enough to even figure out the mouth feel. The sharp flavors kill any redeeming quality to this beer. Lots of heat makes this simply horrendous.

O: My face was incredibly warm after drinking this, which is probably the most positive thing I have to say about the beer. There are flourishes of greatness hiding, but the alcohol really overpowers everything that is going on here. This is one whale that's not worth the effort to capture. I'm sure glad I didn't have to jump through any hoops to get my bottle other than walking into Whole Foods and finding it on the shelf. It's worth trying with a group of friends, but I feel that there is too much hype surrounding this at the moment. I can safely say that I never want to drink this ever again.

distantmantra, Aug 23, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -9%

Shared a 12 oz bottle and poured into two snifters.

A: It was a golden yellow color, cloudy not much head but good lacing on the glass.

S: I detected a hint of pine hoppiness, sweet smelling.

T: It was a sweet beer, it had a malty honey flavor, with a hoppy finish, orange peel taste present, hints of citrus with the sweetness.

M: thick due to the sweetness of the beer, as the beer warmed it reminded me of a decent port wine.

Overall: It was a sweet, big beer that took a bit of time to drink 6 oz. As the beer warmed it reminded of a port wine, complex flavors, hoppy but with a honey, malt flavor and citrus on the back end. This is a beer I could drink every so often, a couple of year would be fine for me. I'll try aging a bottle and see how the flavors mellow.

abeerlovr, Aug 23, 2011

2011 vintage, courtesy of Gerard from Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford, CT (no they don't have any left)

Pours a dark gold/amber, amber in the middle, gold towards the edges. Not much head, just a bit of lacing around the edges. Aroma has sweet malt and yeast, almost like a barleywine, with a ton of hops. Lots of hops. While it certainly looks and smells great, they can't quite match the flavor of the beer.

The taste is massive. The malt is so thick that it feels like syrup, and the taste is so sweet that it is similar. The malt is extraordinarily strong and sweet, balancing out the massive quantity of hops. The hops are dense, they don't stand out as much as they might in lesser quantities, like the brewery's 60 and 90 minute IPAs, rather the whole beer stands as a massive, monolith of malt and hops. The malt is more prominent than any other IPAs that I have had, but the hops are so powerful that the sweetness seems necessary to balance out the bitterness. I don't really get a bitter flavor from the hops, rather the sweetness of the hops shines through.

The flavor is so thick and intense that it is difficult to describe in conventional terms or in comparison to other beers. It isn't the lone overload of hops that many other big IPAs are, but for a beer this strong, it is the monolith of flavor that it must be to have everything about it be this big. Bottom line is that it is really malt-heavy, but the overall flavor is just massive, malt and hops and yeast. The mouthfeel is extremely sweet, the aftertaste lasts a long time and it feels like the beer is still there minutes later.

This is an exceptional beer, perhaps the best I have ever had. For a flavor-intense style, nothing matches it.

Zodijackyl, Aug 22, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

2011 Vintage. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance. Gorgeous dark copper red in color. A finger of head dissipates to a beautiful layer with some awesome lacing around the glass. Alcohol legs are also present and linger for a while.

Smell. Very sweet and malty with aromas of dark sugars and some nice floral hop aroma.

Taste. A very sweet flavor similar to a homemade hard candy or the filling of pecan pie is up front. This slowly transitions into a very fruity, grape like flavor. There is also a lingering hop flavor that is a bit like mango or some other tropical fruit
This is complemented by a very slight bitterness which lingers until the finish. The finish is slightly alcoholic but not really dry.

Mouthfeel. Pretty standard full bodied with light carbonation.

Very pleasently surprised by this one. Sweet, but balanced.

jtingue, Aug 21, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

Unfortunately, I don't have notes from the night I was able to get my hands on this beer, however I have read some of the horrible comments about it and cannot for the life of me see where anyone could think this doesn't taste amazing (though we all have different opinions so it's certainly possible you just don't agree with me). It's a sweet and caramelized feel to it and goes down smooth. Little head, when poured into the snifter I was drinking from, but it had this note at the end of a sugary variety that just hit the palate perfectly.
I was lucky to have it in a growler from the brewery and brought up to Philly for Philly Beer Week at $5 a glass (such a good price I had 2!), but I can't seem to get a hand on it anywhere else.

bak8976, Aug 21, 2011

Bottled 2011. Poured into my DFH signature glass.

I was actually shocked by this beer. I read reviews, and watched beer reviews on YouTube before trying this, and I got mixed reviews. The bad reviews worried me. I went out of my way to get 4 bottles (and paid too much) so I was hoping to at least enjoy the beer!

Anyway, The smell of this beer was amazing. It smelled citrusy and sweet. I couldn't stop smelling it, even after I started drinking it. The taste was a little too sweet, but it wasn't unbearable. It was a little thick, and I wasn't used to that, but I still enjoyed it. I sipped on a 12 oz. bottle for over an hour, and I believe the flavors got better and tasted more complex as it warmed.

I have 3 bottles left, and I am definitely going to age them and save them for a special occasion(s). I'm assuming the sweetness will balance out.

aleckpa, Aug 21, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

I have yet to experience the 2011 latest batch of 120 but have been meaning to record these notes from my April 2011 encounter with a 2009 Vintage on tap from Downtown Bar and Grill in Brooklyn, NY.

My first and only time trying the highly anticipated 120 and a dense and cloudy peach orange nectar color filled the glass with little to no head. A vast aroma of caramel, deep roasted sugar and fruit fills the nose. On the palate, a solid earthy sweet peach and orange nectar citrus taste invades the palate with a remarkably smooth and deceptive abv. Alcohol is instantly warming. Dry and sticky herbal exotic fruit sweetness in the finish leaves you wanting a next sip...Five 8 oz. servings after my first sip, I left the bar realizing that I had just had my ass whooped by the smoothest, suavest, nuclear hop bomb of my beer drinking life...

albertjr21, Aug 20, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

absolutely an ender. if you could go there you can't return. i've had it before on an really hot day and had to share. the older the better. when young has a wafer yeasty quality in the malt. the older ones have a culmination of flavors. smells of rhubarb. and the palate is mildly citrus like a english barley. this is a barley most definitely. i would like to try it as fresh as it comes. has a long flavor that is suprisingly not as deep as i would have expected. quite drinkable when aged. smooth, caramel nougat, under ripen apple pie. a bit sour... a bit dense sugar laden. nicely carbonated.

rtepiak, Aug 20, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

An awesome trade item from a very generous trader, inlimbo77. Thank you very much Bill! The 12 ounce bottle was from the recent (2011) release, and this review is a transfer from my spreadsheet (as most of my others are, just mentioning here since the bottling date was a quite a while before I got around to posting this review).

Pours a dark rust, burnt orange like color with about a half inch of very frothy, foamy head. Retention is impressive for a brew with this kind of alcohol content. Lacing is wet and generous. Very appealing and inviting.

Smells of clove, rigorous hops with a mix of both fresh, citrus scent as well as an almost cooked or burnt hop smell that gives it a warm, spicy scent. Very unlike any IPA I’ve encountered thus far.

Tastes similar, with an almost ginger/cinammon spice laced between the citrusy hops and toasted hops. Perhaps there is a touch of a toasted caramel malt towards the rear, but it’s not distinct enough for me to say with certainty. If anything, it mixes with the other spicy notes that find their way onto the tongue. It does finish with a warm alcohol flavor, though not nearly what you would expect for an 18+% concoction.

Mouth is medium bodied, and perhaps slightly undercarbonated as of yet.

Overall, I’m very pleased I was able to this guy fresh, and forever grateful I was given a few extra to stock away for resampling down the road. Thanks again Bill, you’re awesome!

eclipse54, Aug 19, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served into an 8oz chimay glass at the riverside European street.

Golden amber with a glowing nature to it's hue. Foamy white head with a good finger of head. When held to light it glows a reddish yellow. As the bubbles creep up, you get the sense that this beast is meant to savor.

Nose, though cold now, reveals an aggressive and astringent hop base. Spicy, with toasted edges, the malt body is what shines though. Honey, vanilla, and a bit of nuts come mind.

As idly warms, more vanilla and caramel. ABV also makes it's presence known, increasing the spicy edges. Grassy notes? Intriguing.

Wow. This is one dangerously delicious beer. The malt/sweet base is what is dominant, though the aggressive hopping tries to make a presence. Rather sweet. Honey, vanilla and bourbon (aided by the alcohol burn) make an impression. Citrusy finish with a cloying sweetness that reminds me more of a fortified wine than an IPA. Roasted, toasted with an edge of caramel and toffee.

Mild carbonation, and with this abv I can see why. Not as syrupy as you would think, but lingers a bit. Alcohol makes a strong presence, but to be expected.

All around, a great beer. Well made and with purpose. Could do with some age but fresh it is still amazing.

Cheesemoose, Aug 19, 2011
2.28/5  rDev -44.4%

Well I had this beer on tap at the hipness throw down and I can honestly say I don't plan on trying it again. To start off I am not sure of the vintage. This beer poured an orange with a reddish tinge. The beer is visibly thick and had a small off white head a veery small head. The smell was dominated by sweetness that I knew was not going to make th beer taste good. There was also a hop presence but I took a back seat to the sweetbread and huge alcohol presence. The flavor follows the taste to a tee. Huge sweetness wiu minimal hops followed by a donkey punch of alcohol burning. The mouthfeel is so out of wack for an ipa it's more like q barley wine. Overall I would say if you want to try the beer buy one and try it but don't have high hopes. Avoid

rowingbrewer, Aug 18, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

12oz bottle (bottled 2011 1061) poured into a snifter. Coppery orange amber color with minimal head but vigorous carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. This beer looks great.

Aroma is dank water (same aroma/taste I always pick up in 90 Minute) and sweet malt. I'm not really getting many discernible aromas, maybe buttery rum?

First sip is sugary sweet with more than a hint of booze. I'm not much into liqueurs, but I'd compare this to a carbonated sherry, brandy or cognac maybe. The abundant hops still manage to give it a somewhat dry finish and the mouthfeel is OK, actually pretty velvety. Getting a little more syrupy as it warms. In fact, as it comes up to room temp I find myself wincing with every sip. Like taking cough syrup. Accordingly, I have to knock the taste score down by half a point.

To me this tastes/feels more like a dessert wine or liqueur than a beer. For what it is I actually kind of like it, but I wouldn't want to drink it very often even if I could. Still, this is a unique beer and I'm not surprised that Dogfish Head is behind it.

draheim, Aug 18, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

Opened this years (2011) into a snifter
Pours a nice head deep in color leaving a string of lace are the glass. Smells very boozy and citrisy.
Taste is boozy and pretty hot, i honestly think this yrs taste more like the olde school barleywine than an ipa, a little thicker and malty than crisp and hoppy, i mean i def get the hop feel but not like previous yrs working so well
Very sweet i get candied sugar right away super sweet and bitter very very nice!

Davidpgibbons, Aug 18, 2011

Thanks to whoever brought this one to our IPA day celebration. An original 2003 big bottle, which I believe is the very first batch.

A - Pours murky yellow, with quite a bit of sediment floating in it, with a small half finger tall white head leaving no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of huge amounts of candied sugar, caramel malt, booze, light tropical fruits, and just the faintest hint of citric hops. It has held up ok but the sweetness has only gotten stronger.

T - Starts off with a HUGE dose of candied sugar sweetness slowly giving way to a mix of caramel malt, dulled tropical fruits, tiny bit of citric hop bitterness, and lots of warming booze. While this one is eight years old it still has plenty of sweet booze to go around. The finish is very sweet, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, syrup like, feel with plenty of sweetness lingering through the finish.

O - I have had this stuff fresh, aged for a few years, and now aged for the maximum amount of time, and every time I leave it feeling let down. If you like over the top sweetness, this is your beer. If you like balance of flavors, avoid it at all costs.

orangesol, Aug 17, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -41.5%

from Blue Palms 3rd Anniversary Party, off a tap that kicked before the end of the hour. I was super excited to get a chance to try this fresh, thank you Blue Palms for the opportunity.

Review from notes, dated 8/13/11

A: Pure orange nectar body with some give towards golden yellows. This actually has a fairly rustic body, or at the very least is much darker than I expected it to be. Looks like an atomic malt bomb. Only slightly lighter than you'd expect a barleywine to be. Given that this is an IPA, it's disappointing to see no head retention or lacing.

S: Oh my god. Tamarind infused tequila. Ripe fruit skins of banana and kiwi. So sweet it makes me nervous. Diabetic coma in the nose. Cane sugar concentrates that are being sweated down to the last molecule. All sweetness finds a cough syrup like theme.

T: This thing really tastes like a nightmarish mixer. Hard sweet rum alcohol with a thick honey glazing of everlasting sweetness. Some deep grape nut malt flavors that might be manageable if it weren't for the compounding sweetness. I feel like I should be able to chew down the sugar crystals in this thing, good god I think I need do some blood letting. Really rough alcohol character that makes it seem like a far-cry from ANY beer style, let alone any form of IPA.

M: Medium full body that has some added weight of being like cough medicine. Painful potent alcohol coatings that create a protective layer preventing any other penetrating flavors. It leaves the mouth thick and slick, but also very flammable.

O: Needless to say, this thing is just too intense on the sweetness. I absolutely can't believe that some like this fresh. This kills the palate with some thick sugar crystals and bigger alcohols. Sweet potato fermented vodkas find an evil twin in tamarind infused tequilas. I can't even finish my overall review... passing...out...2....sweet..

Cavery, Aug 17, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz poured into SN Snifter
bottled in 2011

A: golden orange/ copper with 1 finger of golden head. good amount of carbonation coming from the bottom. lots of bubbles forming in the head, which is nice. Leaves some lacing on the sides of glass and the carbonation never really goes away.

S: some bready, caramelly malts, a decent amount of booze is coming through Sweet, alcoholicy. Some citrusy and floral hops are also present. Really weak, just doesnt present itself as a DIPA, all Im really getting is a good amount of hops and malt which is expected but the high alcohol content smell takes over, and blocks a lot.

T: Really hoppy, and really malty as expected, I'm getting a ton of caramel malt and citrus and floral and earthy hops. The dogfish head house yeast strain is there too, but this one doesnt show up as much as in 90 min. changes several times from sweet to bitter, back to sweet and then back to bitter again. The battle is really nice and shows it is well balanced between hops and malt. There is a distinct presence of alcohol, but not as much as you would think

M: Full bodied as hell, this is a creamy drinking beer, and has a really great amount of carbonation too. It lingers for a while on your tongue but in a good way. It really begs you to take another sip.

O: Expectations were high, and they were met, and possibly exceeded. I tried to temper the expectations, but 2 years of waiting on this one will really whet your palate. It really really is a well constructed beer, DFH has done it again.

fields336, Aug 16, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Got this a month ago, bottled 2011, and excited to try it out!

Appearance is lovely, slightly dark gold and clear with decent carbonation.

Smell is filled with alcohol, caramel and balanced hops.

Taste is amazing. Well balanced hop at the beginning followed by an overflow of bitter caramel and hops. It leaves after an entirely fully-bodied experience with a spicy and slightly drying bitter flavor.

All in all, this is an extremely well balanced and intense beer. I would love to have it again if it weren't sold out!

feylure, Aug 15, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -30.5%

Look: Orangish in color with a 1/4 head and no retention

Smell: Citrus hops right up front with a hint of caramel and spice in the background

Taste: This beer is an orange syrupy mess. The beer seriously taste like a orange creme pop sickle gone bad. Just a mess

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a medium carbonation level with a candy like sticky finish

Overall: I recommend trying this but I really don't think this is worth buying. Again totally let down by yet another dogfish beer.

DarthKostrizer, Aug 15, 2011

Coppery amber pour with a thin but sticky white head. This is an big, big beer. Extremely pungent citrus hop aroma, complemented by hints of caramel, toffee, molasses, toast, and vanilla. Taste is very sweet up front, probably less sweet than you might imagine. All the flavors you might expect in your favorite barleywine. The candyish sweetness is very nicely offset by the ridiculous accompanying hop flavor and bitterness.

GeorgeAldi, Aug 14, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Smells of thick, grapefruity hops--as would be suspected--but underlying that is a warm, yeasty and grainy smell, almost like baking bread.

On the tongue, oddly enough, and considering the sheer amount of hops that went in to making this brew, the first taste that comes across is sugar. But we're not talking any old sugar here--more like liquified superfine sugar mixed with vanilla and caramel and the rich, nutty taste of clarified ghee. There are also fruity flavors in here--think extra-sweet apricots, or the smell of fresh roses somehow turned into a candy flavor. Beneath that sugar is, of course, a massive amount of hoppy grapefruit bitterness (this is a beer with an IBU of 120, after all), but it blends surprisingly well with the malts, and doesn't--as might be suspected--end up being the kind of bitter that makes your mouth seize up. There is a large bitter aftertaste, but even that is readily palatable, and leaves you craving another sip.

Overall, I find this an incredible beer, and surprisingly well-balanced, given its nature. Every single individual flavor in the beer has admittedly been turned up to a Spinal-Tapping 11, but it somehow all balances wonderfully, making this easily one of the best beers I've ever had.

A final note for those interested (including dieters): according to the Dogfish Head website, this weighs in at a hefty 450 calories per 12 oz serving.

jondeelee, Aug 13, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Enjoyed with ChrisWisor with WWS. A Heaven and Hell Black and Tan was created.

A: Hazy yellow pour with about a finger of white head. Lot of bubbles rising to the top.

S: Grass. This basically smells like grass. Perhaps some malts in the background, some booze certainly. I don't get slammed by hops like I was expecting.

T: Amazingly a couple of my friends who don't drink craft beer (past a 60 or 90 minute here and there) really like the taste. It gets some bonus points there. A huge hit of hops to start, but it fades quickly to malts and a big hit of booze. Very sweet. Tons of grapefruit. Most grapefruit I have ever tasted in a beer.

MF: Bit of a burn of alcohol at the end. Sips like a nice Bourbon honestly. Nicely carbonated, light in body.

O: I thought this was great. Really glad I got to try it. Can't wait to see how it ages.

Heaven and Hell Review

A: Black pour, a little lighter than WWS. Hardly any head remains. 3.5

S: Boozy. Seems like the majority of the smell is 120, even though I thought it had more WWS in it. Grassy hops, some malts, and a ton of booze. 4

T: The taste really follows everything else I'm seeing. While WWS makes its presence known, 120 Minute really shines through. Getting similar hops, grapefruit, and booze profile as 120, with the heaviness and slight maltiness from the WWS. 4

MF: Heavier than 120, nicely carbonated. TON of booze. 3.5

O: Thought this was great. Better than WWS, not on the level of 120. 4.5

russwbeck, Aug 13, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -56.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2011 vintage poured into a wine tasting glass

A: Pours copper, hard to see through (thick, not hazy), barely any head, decent lacing.

S: Putting my nose to the glass nearly knocked me on my ass. Pungent hops but more importantly sickly sweet candied fruits. It was like getting liquid hard candy shot up my nose.

T: Awful. Just awful. Sickly sweet is an understatement. It's unfortunate because there are some nice tropical fruit and citrus flavors there, but it's covered in tons (literally) of corn sugar. I couldn't choke down more than 3 sips. The hop profile wasn't overly bitter/pine, just a lot of really sweet citrus and tropical fruits. It's really hard to describe anything else. Sure, there was a big malt base, but it was completely lost behind all the sugar.

M: Low carbonation, imagine the thickest possible DIPA... it's thicker. Pancake syrup thick. For a stout with decent carbonation, great. For a sickly sweet DIPA, disgusting. Easily one of the worst textured beers I've had.

O: This was a drain pour for me, I couldn't get past 3 sips. Sickly sweet doesn't even come close, it's disgusting. I don't even know how someone calls this a DIPA. Think of the thickest, sweetest, hottest American Barleywine imaginable, it doesn't have anything on 120min IPA. I can't say this word enough: Disgusting. The only reason this doesn't get a complete fail is because it wasn't a stomach churning, make me puke nasty, just way way way too sweet.

Satchboogie, Aug 13, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

2011 Vintage, shared with nicoco184. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Golden, copper color. Translucent. Thin lacing, not very much head at all. Appears to be fairly sticky.

S: Syrupy, a bit boozy. Fruity - dates or figs mainly. Smells a lot like a barleywine. It's kinda hard to identify more through the booze.

T: Sweet - dried figs & caramel. Slightly boozy, but not overpowering, or as much as the scent would suggest. I've had previous years of 120 that have been less balanced than this.

M: Not very carbonated at all, kind of sticky. This is a pretty heavy beer, there is a weight to it in your mouth.

O: Clearly this beer is meant as a treat. No one sessions this! That said, it's pretty well balanced and way better than previous vintages have been fresh. I've got another that I plan on hanging on to for a year or so, so we'll see how that goes.

mrand01, Aug 13, 2011