120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Amalak

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

I'm kind of all over the place with this beer, but here goes. I had it at Barcade in Brooklyn, NY, which is located on Union. Had to try it because I absolutely loved the 60 and 90 minute versions.

This is simply not my kind of beer, though I appreciate just how good this beer is. This was just way too strong and wine tasting for my likes. While it was extremely smooth, this simply is not how I want my IPAs to taste.

01-03-2009 02:15:18 | More by Amalak
chaz410

4.13/5  rDev +1%

This is truely an awesome beer,been waiting to try this one for as long as I knew what it was!
The pour on this leaves a very cloudy thick body, it's intimidating from the get go. It looks thick and smells completely different than I imagened. I assumed this beer would beer unbelievably hoppy, and while there is plenty of hoppyness on the nose, there's a ton of malty smells of raisens and peaty sweetness. The tast is similar but with definate alcohol pinch. It's very smooth with consideration to the alcohol and it really does ride the malt notes as much as the flower hop flavors. A great beer that everyone should at least try but I do recommend you tell them that drinking one is the same as drinking four+ standard strength beers.

01-01-2009 22:12:13 | More by chaz410
bmwats

Louisiana

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a snifter.

A: Hazy golden amber. Light carbonation pours into a thin layer of carbonation on the surface. Leaves fair lacing as you drink. A smattering of carbonation remains, as well.

S: Hops, honey, raisin, and peaty.

T: Sweet hoppy goodness. Hints of raisin and citrus. Peaty. Not really complex, but do you really expect much more than hops from a 120 minute IPA.

M: Strong alcohol taste. Not a really strong hoppy feel, but the strong alcohol is prominent, and takes away from the hops a bit. Dry. Brandy-like.

D: Good, if you have time to drink it. If not, don't waste your time.

Well, this is an extreme brew. Good to sip from the snifter, as the bouquet is important to this one. Atmosphere, good flavor (although not very complex), good feel. I definitely recommend this great over the top quaff.

01-01-2009 04:07:55 | More by bmwats
deereless

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Golden copper color with a slight amber edge, thin layer of tightly packed head which dropped into patches on top - 4.00, S: Thick and aromatic, absolutely saturated with smells, reminds me of a brandy more than a beer, lots of candied sugars and signs of honey couple with a solid wallop of citrusy hops - 5.00, T: Like the nose this beer almost pushes one into sensory overload, heaps of overripe fruit flavors - primarily plums along with a solid infusion of honey which boosts the sugar level of this beer to astronomical levels, all of this is nicely balanced with a boatload of hops though I would not call that the dominate feature - 4.00, M: Slightly syrupy - 4.00, D: What a nice late night sipping beer, loaded to the gills with flavors and aromas, the price makes it a little prohibitive for routine drinking, but on special occasions it should be easy to justify - 4.25

01-01-2009 01:58:22 | More by deereless
Wackyfoot

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Surprisingly sweet and easy to drink for something that's so massively full of alcohol. HUGE hop taste here too, and a pretty good hoppy aroma as well. This mother is going to straight up knock you on your ass but you're going to love every minute of it.

01-01-2009 00:12:20 | More by Wackyfoot
Reagan1984

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Wow, this is really a whacky beer. At some level it really is like have a hop flower in your mouth.

There was a thin white foamy head that formed then faded. Split this bottle so I didn't get a full 12 oz pour. Not sure you'd want to drink an entire 12 oz bottle.. This beer was made for sharing. Bright golden amber with excellent clarity. Really a nice looking beer. No lacing or visible carbonation.

Aroma was huge and of pine & citrus. As if you were snorting hop pellets.

This really is an extreme beer. As huge as the flavor was, I was impressed with the balance. Huge sweetness and equally huge hop bitterness. Apricot, Melon/cantelope and honey flavors. Towards the end, some deep pine resin notes.

Syrup like and thick. Big doesn't begin to describe this.

It's very interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want an entire bottle for myself. At some level I guess this is a statement about it's drinkability.

Buy one to share. I have another and I'm going to age it for a couple of years.

12-31-2008 15:37:33 | More by Reagan1984
anthony120ipa

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

This beer cost me $9.57 at the local spirits store and it was worth every penny. The balance between the strength and smoothness of this beer is incredible and is deceptively drinkable. Highly recommended to anyone that has the 10 or so dollars to purchase it.

12-28-2008 21:04:26 | More by anthony120ipa
Hokies

Rhode Island

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Shared this with my brother which I would recommend doing. Pours a nice light brown shade with a big white head and a very sticky lace. The aroma is filled with a grapefruit hop aroma that dominates. The taste is actually almost the complete opposite as the hops are present at first but then the sweet malt takes over coupled with some notes of brown sugar. For such a potent beer this is dangerously drinkable since the alcohol is very well hidden. A sipper but a great beer.

12-28-2008 02:54:57 | More by Hokies
hoplover82

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

This beer is the King of hop beers.

The aroma, and flavor was the best I've ever experienced, in the hop catagory. Very pungent citrus, and pine aromas and flavors. A little sweet from the massive amount of malts used. Very hot with alcohol (to be expected). At 21.0% ABV, it's not that drinkable.

12-27-2008 21:41:08 | More by hoplover82
Kendo

12 oz bottle, 2004 vintage, consumed on 12-26-08.

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. Body is a slightly murky dark amber/brown with a small whitish head that fades fast to a thin film.

S: Waft of booze over brown sugar, honey and caramel malt. Brown sugar-coated oranges soaked in Southern Comfort.

T: Brown sugary-sweet malt with honey sweetness as well. Alcohol is obvious at the finish and hot down the gulley. Finishes with a rounded sweetness and heat. But, there's a semi-dry hoppiness that cleanses the palate a bit, a hint of grapefruit, maybe, allowing you to avoid cloying sweetness. It's not very strong, and if you're not paying attention you'll miss it. But there's a bit of that drying there. Still, it's mostly sweet, with the emphasis on brown sugar and orange licquor (sp?).

M: Heavyweight. Slightly syrupy.

D: A sipper, but more drinkable than I expected, to be honest. Somewhat dangerously so, given the ABV.

Notes: This one is like an Imperial Barleywine, if there was such a thing. . . .

12-27-2008 03:30:15 | More by Kendo
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Shared a bottle on Christmas with a friend.

Pours a slightly cloudy deep orange/amber with a smallish off white head that leaves us much to soon. Smells of hops, no kidding huh? Resinous Piny Citrusy hops. Lots of malt in the nose as well, caramel, burnt sugar, biscuit. Taste follows the nose, first a hop assault of grapefruit, resin and pine then the caramel, molasses malts mixed in with a little alcohol. Desceptively easy to drink for such a strong brew. Mouthfeel is syrupy, Body is thick, carbonation is moderate. Wow that is one big beer! We both loved this brew.

12-26-2008 22:52:45 | More by johnnnniee
Maestro

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

What a nice Christmas present! I poured it into a snifter and let it warm up a bit out of the fridge. The beer poured a very hazy, amber with a frothy white head. The nose is extremely malty with lots of dates, biscuit and brown sugar. The taste is phenomenal. This tastes like beer despite the ABV. I'm not sure how they did it, but this is quite dangerous. I notice a lot of fruity hops and lots of bready malts as I drink. The alcohol is warming and seems to keep you interested in the beer. Mouthfeel is silky and smooth and the drinkability is hard to believe. What a beer!

12-26-2008 19:56:19 | More by Maestro
oriolesfan4

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Package store got a batch of these in for $6.99 a 12 oz bottle so I had to try it...

Pours a cloudy orange with a thin head, smell is very citrusy and hop filled. First taste I was not prepared for.. felt like a full on shot of booze.. didn't sit well with me. The next sip, and following sips for that matter, went down much smoother. Maybe I had to warm up to it? Either way, it was enjoyable after the initial sip of it. Was it simply amazing? I wouldn't say that.. but it was cool to have a beer that is 21% ABV and I would have it again in a heartbeat.

12-26-2008 04:28:28 | More by oriolesfan4
TubaManJack

2.95/5  rDev -27.9%

After much anticipation I finally cracked it open.

Aromatic hop notes and a low carbonation level. The head within the bottle has a irreverence of multiple colors like blue and purple. The pour produced an red amber body and light white wispy head. The body was very thick and akin to cough syrup. The hop flavor was muted and overall produced a substantial disappointment. I was not expecting the camel flavor or lack there off. I was constantly reminded of cough syrup and to flavors which do not meld. The alcohol was very moderated and reduced to a warming after effect.

12-23-2008 03:05:22 | More by TubaManJack
ibbjamin

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

Paid $7.99 for a loose 12 oz bottle from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. Poured into a snifter.

Leaves a fizzy quarter inch white head. Opaque with cloudiness, this has a autumn orange hue to it. Great lacing.

Smells very potent. A fairly strong nose of well hidden alcohol for a 21% ABV. Some orange grapefruit hoppiness mixed into the naughtiness of this one.

Taste is a bit too much for a beer in my opinion. Alcohol comes through more, but is still pretty well mixed in with the grapefruit hoppiness. If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a mixed drink with grapefruit juice.

The mouth is somewhat carbonated. Rather bitter/sour after a while. Medium to full body.

As I drink more of this, I like it less. It is still crazy to me that this is the equivalent to 5 cans of Coors Light in ABV.

Hats off for making a DIPA that is moderately drinkable and 21% ABV. Will I be buying again? Probably not, but I am surely glad I tried it.

12-23-2008 02:47:43 | More by ibbjamin
AMoceri7

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Holy smokes. This baby is INTENSE.

A: Foggy honey. Minimal head and lacing, just glorious.

S: Sour apple, hops and as sweet as can be. Not as aromatic as I expected.

T: WOW. EXPLOSION of flavors. AND SMOOTH! What in the heck. This is by far one of the most intense beers Ive had since DFHs Raison D'Extra. Sweet sweet sweet and no alcohol burn until it hits the stomach. Loads of hops and malt, sour apple (NOT CIDER as that would taste terrible, but imagine for a second SOUR APPLE) phenols and did I say hoppy? Make me happy. Oddly enough it doesnt ring IPA to me but more of a strong ale. Probably because Ive never actually chewed on something as hoppy as this. Not bitter at all, mid range smooth and surprisingly just above thin. Wow, no other way to describe it.

M: Very bouncy but it only compliments this brew. Ages well. Not thick and syrupy like some IPAs but definitely not thin. Perfect.

D: All I can say is watch out, buy a bottle and trust me, it will be more than enough. WAY too smooth.

Overall: If you are complaining or rating this puppy low due to "ABV BURN" or the intensity of it then you might as well skip this one and go back to drinking your Blue Moon or oh so flavorful Boston Lager. This thing was made for extremity not for the faint of heart. Confused? Did you expect for a 21% ABV to be light? Maybe you actually have balls and a tongue that exists outside of boring, maybe you should buy it and expect exactly what it is. All in all, one of the most creative IIPAs Ive had in while and definitely worth a try as well as a second buy. GET CRUNK! Thank you Sam.

12-22-2008 04:25:02 | More by AMoceri7
bum732

Lesotho

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a cloudy burnt orange. I laugh as bubbles try and escape the syrupy consistancy. This is going to be interesting. Smells unbelievably powerful. Stong earthy hop presence melded with an apricot like sweetness. Undertones of pine, alcohol and an earthy must. Tasting knocked my palate out of place. Very cloyingly sweet with a nice hop bitterness and aroma. Surprisingly, the sweetness is almost matched by the bitterness, almost. Tastes of apricot, lemon, pine resin and alcohol. Finishes quite sweet. Alcohol is very deceiving, doesn't hit you till its dripping down your troat, then burns like a scotch. Mouthfeel has very little carbonation and very syrupy.

An unbelievable beer. I'm not sure if i should judge it by its uniqueness or compare it to any other beer. I think i'll take the middle road. A fantastic experimental brew, but way to cloyingly sweet to even think about having another one for quite a while. The hops are great, i love them. The bitterness is nice too, just not enough there to balance the sweetness. Can't wait to try an aged version.

12-20-2008 02:22:59 | More by bum732
chrisweingart

3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

Trying at room temperature in a dogfish glass (football shaped pint). Allowing to decant for a few minutes. Bottled on 11/05/08.

Appearance - Pours a cloudy orangish-copper. Nice thick head that manages to stay put for a good while.

Smell - Extremely sweet smell that I can almost taste as I inhale it. Can also smell the astringency of what I'm presuming to be the alcohol. Hints of orange and clove? Not sure if I'm overwhelmed with the stronger smells but I can't really place the hops.

Taste - Overload. Taking a second, wasn't really expecting that. Starts off really sweet but quickly evolves to a peppery burn from the alcohol. As my mouth calms down I taste what I would compare to late harvest grapes. Very similar to strong port and dessert wines I've had before. I never really am able to distinguish a definite hop flavor.

Mouthfeel - Definitely finds a way to linger and warm the mouth. Very little carbonation but seems good to me.

Drinkability - Overall an awesome beer, not sure if it's a beer I should enjoy all by myself (not sure if i should, but definitely will finish). I'd be interested in trying a again but after it's had a decent shot at aging.

12-18-2008 09:57:48 | More by chrisweingart
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

GLASS: Tulip Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
BOTTLED ON: 04/17/08

Dark copper/light amber in color. Nice two-finger head of light tan foam. Very good retention and the lacing is nicely sticky.

Good hops aroma. Floral, grassy and slightly piney. Big sweet caramel maltiness. Light booziness, though not as much as expected as expected, considering it's over-the-top ABV. Big butterey biscuits.
Very sweet and hoppy, overall.

Mmmmm. Good stuff.
More like a barleywine with hoppy undertones than an IPA, really.
Notes of caramel and raisin from the big malty backbone. Bits of tropical fruit and hints of vanilla. Nice underbelly of big hops spice. Molasses mixing with grapefruit, sprinkled generously with various spices. An odd combo, to be sure, but one that I like.
The alcohol provides a nice warming touch, while not being in the way of your enjoyment.

This is a brew with a body that I can love. Big, thick and viscous. It coats the inside of your mouth, along with everything else, on it's way down. Oily, almost verging on sludge-like. Excellent!

This is extremely drinkable, IMO. Sadly, at 21% abv, or thereabout, most people could only down two or three in a sitting before being unable to function.
The alcohol content, while I totally love it, brings down it's overall drinkability score.
But please Dogfish and Sam, never EVER change (or stop making) this brew!
Truly excellent.

12-17-2008 05:04:27 | More by coldmeat23
jsp2

4.88/5  rDev +19.3%

This is one mind-altering brew. Had it on tap at the DFH alehouse in Falls Church, I was charged $10.50. Cloudy bronze appearance in the what I think was 12 oz sniffer glass with a reasonable head of foam. The flavor and mouthfeel are excellent. Great marriage of hops and alcohol, this beer will kick your ass if you take a big gulp of it.

12-13-2008 23:50:18 | More by jsp2
jojox

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

a - cloudy. brown. fleeting head. Don't know how old this bottle is.

s - it's a barleywine. Some hops happening, but mostly caramelized malt. YUM!

t - wow. American barleywine at its best. Ethanol, warmth, STRENGTH, but *balanced*. Not a ton of hop profile, but this beer is REDICULOUS.

m - fine

d - plastered. Killed my wife (tyhe beer did) after some wine and Champagne. made me silly. WHAT IS THIS!? Crazy beer..

notes - not the best way to review, but this shit kicked my ass after a decent session with wine and the inlaws. fun stuff. Great flavor, but the hops were subdued enough to say it should be classified as a barleywine. I mean c"mon, isnt it?

Big ups to JeffV for this trade, I feel like a tool for not hooking him up with any extras. Karma to you bro..

12-12-2008 06:12:30 | More by jojox
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

10.99 at New Beer Distributors in Manhattan.

Pours a murky rust color with bright orange edges. The head is pillowy and medium sized. It has incredible retention for a beer of this weight and it leaves an intricate lacework behind. The aroma is extremely potent, I could smell the mighty malt profile the instant I popped the cap. Sniffing directly from the glass reveals a heady mix of sweet, fruity malts, alcohol heat and a side of citrusy hops.

The taste very malty with a strong tropical fruit, pineapple, tangerine character. An immense bitterness lies underneath the glacial mass of malt. Some pine sap and citrus hop aroma manages to show through the assault occasionally. The booze is alway present, but surprisingly under control for a beer of this weight. The mouthfeel is close to syrupy and mouthcoating. The finish is fruity and bitter with a lingering booziness.

This beer is something to experience, an assault of concentrated beer flavors that needs to be sipped. I cant imagine the amount of malt and hops they use to make this. Try it.

12-12-2008 05:39:31 | More by CAMRAhardliner
yesyouam

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

This "beer" is a hazy amber with an off-white frothy head that lasts and leaves excellent lacing. It has a heavy hop aroma of flowers, perfume, herbs and resin. It is heavy, thick and very sweet! Thick and oily, sweet and very bitter. The taste lingers. It's like hop liqueur.
(rated Apr 11, 2007)

12-12-2008 04:09:19 | More by yesyouam
MrHungryMonkey

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

1st Review | 05.16.08

The great 120 Minute.

Provocatively syrupy smelling, and a bit alcoholic too. Citric notes, almost like tangerine. A little zesty/spiciness. Quite a noseful; smells like it will be viscous. The syrup/alcohol smell almost takes on a rubber sensation - like latex.

Orange/amber hue, translucent, minimal head.

Oh wow. Not what I expected at all. It's insanely tart, and ripe . A sipper forwith alcohol heat. Goes down like motor oil laced with whiskey, sure. I do get some rich, dark whisky kind of malt and vanilla hints. A bit of hop bitterness comes into focus through the heat, and helps to tie down a tropical hop vibe. As it warms, I experience more malt and not so much hop. Dominant in the malt, though, is an over-the-top, sickly-sweet sweetness, reminiscent of butterscotch.

It's fun to see where a style of beer can evolve and meander to, given the freedom to be extreme. For my taste, though, this specimen is hard to drink. If you could brew the Elephant Man, this is pretty close to what I'd envision you getting.

I do get flourishes of that perfect malt/hop mix, but mostly I get alcohol and tartness. With all that hop, I sense no harsh hop flavors - something I'm unable to avoid in my IPA brewings.

3 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 2
___

2nd Review | 12.10.08

Nose is sugary malty, alcohol, and full of bright, floral hops. Strongest is the very sugary, rich, and malty aromas. Hints of vanilla. Smells good, almost very good.

Pours a dirty deep straw color, very hazy, almost fruit-juice looking, almost no head (completely understandable). Looks good.

Flavor hits hard and fast with strong citric juice, rich malty creaminess, and alcohol. First impression can be likened to a spiked orange cream party punch. Incredibly thick and smooth. Citric flavors round out with a nice tartness. Very sweet - like a sweet fruit rather than just raw sugar or excessive maltiness. Reminds me of a nectarine or tangerine, not quite orange or grapefruit. Mild bitterness. Tastes wonderful. Feels even better.

Last time I tired 120Min I was put off by the over-assertive alcohol. This time, I served it at frigid refrigerator temperature. I got a lot more flavor and less raw alcohol heat. Not the IPAest of beers; I'd like to see some more hop flavor to combat the beautiful malt. It doesn't speak Barleywine, but certainly American Strong Ale... Imperial IPA, I guess.

From my previous review: "if you could brew the Elephant Man, this is pretty close to what I'd envision you getting."... Man! What was up with my palate that day? Perhaps nothing; perhaps today I have an invisible cold that has immunized me to alcohol's nose-tingling effects; or perhaps I have become numbed, or perhaps this is just not the same batch... regardless, it is really, really, seriously good. It never once flashed up in intolerable heat today. I've had 12%ABV beers that stung worse than this bottle. If I had another I would definitely crack it open when this one's gone. Well done Sam!

This is a beautiful beer that I hope you will get to experience and enjoy. Approach it with an open mind, open palate, and perhaps a stuffy nose (if you're opposed to flavor of pure ethyl alcohol ;-).

3.85 | 4.25 | 4.6 | 4.75 | 4.4

12-11-2008 02:05:46 | More by MrHungryMonkey
letsgowhalers

Connecticut

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Had an oaked version of this on tap at Dogfish's Milton brewery. Nice orangey color and a suprisingly well maintained head. You can certainly smell the alcohol but it's not as overpowering as you'd expect from a 20% brew. There is a slight spiciness from the oak at the first taste. This did seem to abate after each sip, no doubt in due to the high abv. Very oily mouthfeel which I love in this beer. This was perilously easy to drink so it's a good thing this was only about a 6oz taste.

12-07-2008 02:30:19 | More by letsgowhalers