120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottled 7/7/2008 - Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel Tulip. Served at proper cellar temp.

A: Pours a deep copper, clear-yet-slightly-hazy color. Aggressive, 6oz center pour leads to a half-finger off white head that disappears relatively quickly leading to sticky, consistent lacing.

S: Supremely sticky sweet malt forward, caramel malt. ABV is very prominent here but somehow either before, or after, there is a subdued pungent spruce that has to come from the hops but it's a weirdly fermented smelling. In a good way - if that makes sense.

T: Holy shit - this is a phenomenal beer. Tastes like a barleywine, and drinks like a barleywine and the age has really done this thing wonders. It's backed the alcohol flavor down and brought the syrupy, caramel malt flavor forward. It's really, really delicious.

M: Medium body, wonderfully carbonated. Aftertaste lingers for ever and lead. Finish is crisp and bitter.

O: Insanely complex, smooth 18% beer. This doesn't really fit in the IIPA category but it's definitely in a class of its own.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

2.5/5  rDev -39.2%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Great head retention. The lace holds strong. This pours a gold amber. You can tell at the pour that it is a medium bodied beer.

S - Very hoppy smell with a fruity to citrus scent. I can almost smell the acidity.

T - Sweet for an ipa with a strong bitterness from the hops. It almost seems to even out from the two radicals. There is a booming of flavor which is what I expected from this beer.

M - Such a thick viscosity to this beer. I have had stouts that were lighter than this beer. The carbonation is noticeable in this beer but not overpowering.

O - This is a good beer. Out of all dogfish head's beers I preferred this one, except for the chicory stout. This lives up to it's expectations.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottle shared by Steve at my 22nd birthday. 12oz bottle, 2010 date on the bottle.

Poured a slightly hazy orange brown, moderate amounts of retention and lace. Nose has loads of hops and citrus notes, mild pineapple among other things. Herbal notes, that I'm sure come as a result of the sheer amount of hops here. Some fusel alcohol. Massive malt base - caramel and toffee, some toasty malt notes as well. Taste has lots of resinous hop flavours, lightly toasty malts and sugary caramel and toffee notes. Chewy and sticky feel, but not extremely heavy. Ethanol and heat in the finish, fairly bitter but not palate shredding. Super sweet and rich overall, a sample of this was adequate. I wasn't terribly blown away with this, but this was certainly an experience.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into snifter from 12oz bottle. Bottled on date: 9/19/11

Appearance: Pretty amber color. Decent amount of lacing on the sides of the glass. Finger-thick, off-white head.

Smells: The aroma is really good, regardless of how much alcohol I detected. I can tell it's going to be a boozy beer. I get hints of agave nectar, apple juice, caramel, and the slightest bit of hops. The malts definitely overpower the hops though.

Taste: Ridiculously sweet. At first I didn't even really detect the hops. The bitterness in the finish is the only indication I get that the beer was hopped. There is definitely alcohol in the finish too.

Mouthfeel: Creamy in my opinion. A little on the thick side actually. Little to no carbonation, and I wish there was more. I need that refreshing feeling. This beer does the opposite, and the warmth of the alcohol settles in your throat for a while after sipping. Probably a better idea to have had this beer on a cold night.

Overall: It's an interesting beer. I like its taste, but at the same time I don't because this isn't what I feel a Double IPA should taste like. I miss the hoppiness. Where's the citrusy hops? I don't particularly like sweet IPA's, but I can't deny that this is still a good beer. Not my favorite Double IPA, yet I can't stop sipping it. I have another one that I'll age for at least a year, which is something I look forward to.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%