120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Nowhereman529

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

This beer poured a very nice, hazy amber from the bottle. It left little head and what little there was dispersed pretty rapidly.

Smell is very strong on hops. Like being in a field of hops with the smell of hops being piped in from some other hops field. Of course with hops there's a little pine scent to it at well.

Wow, so ok, not what I expected at all. As it turns out this is a pretty sweet beer. Not like any other IPA I've ever had. It gets an 'A' for uniqueness, but a 'B-' for the style. Again, strong on hops flavor, minus the bitterness. Really, it's like sweet hops, it's hard to distinguish much else.

Mouthfeel was a bit of a let down as well. There's a reasonable amount of carbonation, but the beer still feels like is a bit too syrupy for an IPA.

Overall this is a reasonably drinkable beer, and at 21% abv, one or two of these and you're down anyway. I'd drink it again for sure.

08-20-2008 02:42:58 | More by Nowhereman529
drxandy

2008 batch
12oz split to try mixing 120x90, 120x60, and a 120x90x60 cocktail - the bottom half to tulip glass so i could enjoy the delicious sediment, pours a HEAVY, thick, orangey amber, opaque, beautiful!

smells of hot hot alcohol, pine, sweetness, citrus, heavy heavy malts, bitter astringency

taste is sweet hot alcohol off the bat, extreme hops and malts, piney citrus flavors dominate, caramely, almost reminds me of OJ and vodka due to the bottle being so young, a very heavy sipper, hop resins cling and make your mouth tingle - almost like an assault on your mouth - wow

mouthfeel is thick, creamy, resiny, super bitter and complex - a delicious brew with a crazy high abv

yum

08-18-2008 19:23:01 | More by drxandy
schoolboy

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

If anyone asks, Dogfish Head 90 is my favorite "everyday" beer. That's not to say that it isn't special, it's just that it is readily available and I wish I could drink it every day (but of course that would cause health problems). I have always loved it, and I have never aged any of it.

At first the Dogfish Head 60 was a disappointment to me. But I later realized what a dope I was. It was just something completely different. Now I love it, especially on tap.

A few years ago (when my son started at Purdue) I was able to procure a few bottles of 120 in Indiana (they can't sell it in Ohio - too much alcohol). They were around $10 each. I just let the suckers sit in storage until today, when I finally had one (I have been meaning to do this). I had good reason, I wanted to relax and enjoy something special - I deserve it. 120 did not disappoint.

I had an opportunity to buy preaged bottles of 120 at their brew pub in Delaware last summer but for whatever reason I passed (I am pretty sure the price was in the $15 range and I was already spending a bundle there). But the one I am drinking is one I aged myself. It's over two years old. Everything seems to be settling in on it.

It is sweet, hoppy, well balanced. There does not seem to be a boozy smell whatsoever. The alcohol is definitely there, but the smell is not. The smell actually is a bit weaker than I would like. Everything else about this beverage is what I would expect from a well aged, over hopped, over malted ale. Smooth.

It was worth the wait and the $10. Now I have to think about (1) when to drink the rest of them and (2) how to get some more to put up for later. And how the hell do you follow that act?

08-17-2008 23:07:48 | More by schoolboy
glid02

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Got this from the Liquor Loft in Tallahassee.

Pours a good copper color that lightens up to amber when held up to the light. Big two-finger white head that recedes into a thin layer of bubbles on top of the beer. Pretty cloudy, and not much lacing.

Smell is very sweet. The alcohol is also noticeable, and there's just the faintest tinge of hop bitterness.

Tastes very sweet as well. The alcohol is surprisingly well-hidden, but it does feel warm on the way down. There's a little taste of hop citrus at the beginning and end, and both the bitterness and the sweetness can be tasted when I lick my lips.

Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is at a good level, and it's very thick. Goes down as smooth as is to be expected with 21% ABV.

Rating the drinkability on this is hard. It's certainly a sipper, but for a beer this big it's pretty drinkable.

Overall I'm glad I finally got my hands on one of these. Very interesting, and worth a try.

08-17-2008 15:35:14 | More by glid02
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Dogfish Head's brewery has always been at the top of my list, but I just recently got a chance to sample their 120 minute IPA. This beer truly is the "holy grail for hopheads."

I poured mine into a tulip rimmed chalice at around 50 degrees. The color is light mahogany to oak. The initial head was frothy and thick which quickly reduced to a thin lacing around the edges to the end.

The aroma of alcohol, vinous fruit, and orange peels is only out-matched by the extreme hop presence.

Upon first taste mouthfeel is huge and the alcohol is almost too much at low temperatures. Better serve this beer around 55-58 degrees to minimize the alcohol bite and let the hops take control (let's face it that's why you wanted this beer anyways).

The taste is hoppy and full but not bitter. I think the alcohol cuts the bitterness into shreads. The twang is almost in line with a flanders style red. If you love the flemish sour ales you will absolutely love this!

The carbonation is reduced as a result of the long fermintation, but it isn't missed. The bottle variety is almost like a cask ale (without the oak overtone).

I will definately keep the other three I bought in storage for a while as these need some time to cure (probably 2 years plus). I loved it and I think in a few years I'll love it even more. I think trying a flight of these from five different years would be interesting. I would liken its current taste to a Samichlaus Helles. Enjoy this one slowly!

08-17-2008 01:25:46 | More by PerzentRizen
Squelch

United Kingdom (England)

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Cloudy murky. Off white head. Very unappealing color

Smell: Wonderful grassy, earthy, and piney hops. Very aromatic.

Taste: Hops aggressive. Winey flavors due to high ABV. Excellent balance

Mouthfee: Great warming from the alcohol. Wonderfully smooth. Not too heavy.

Drinakablity: A sipping beer that is to be enjoyed on a special occasion.

08-17-2008 00:40:12 | More by Squelch
reignsong

Maine

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Like the 90 minute, you'll love smelling this one. Unlike the 90 minute, you'll love the smell more than the taste, but the tast is still good.

It's nearly identical in appearance to the 90, but no real head. A head is not necessary for me, and sometimes a turnoff, personal preference. So this is ideal on that front.

The taste is heavy, and knocks your socks off at first. The further you get into the 12 oz glass, the taste seems to build on teh long lasting residual aftertaste.

It's good to split, actually it's perfect for that. I finished this beer in an hour and needed a nap not knowing the alcohol content. A definite sipping beer to sniff for long intervals between sips. I nurse it throughout the occasional hockey game, and it suits that well.

The taste is syrupy. There is a hot spiciness from the hops and alcohol content, if you have one two days in a row, your throat will burn the second day. It is intense, but tasty and imaginative. Well deserving to be the choice special occasion beer for hop heads.

08-14-2008 18:21:37 | More by reignsong
clayrock81

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

My bottle is the latest batch to come out as it was bottle 7/7/08. Poured into a snifter because I was told this batch was maltier than the usual so I figured I would go with that instead of a winge glass or tulip. Poured a cloudy auburn with gold tints that gave one-finger head that stuck around forever and left a slight lace ring. A complex array of sweet malts like caramel, butterscotch and maybe honey or something. Also in the nose is a great hop presenece that brings both citric fruit notes (lemon) and some tart and dark fruits like sour apples, pear and a little black cherry. My first instinct when trying this is that it would be a "hopbomb", and it VERY hoppy, there is a thickness and stickiness to it from the sweet malts (mostly caramel in this regard). There is also tart and citric fruit tastes in this fuller-bodied beer that rolls across the tongue for the most part (like I said, a tad sticky at some points). The only drawback is a very minor alcohol burn on the backbite which stems from the immense ABV%. For that reason (the ABV, not the burn) and the cost (I'm not rich) prevent me from sessioning this bad boy. This reminded me a of Belgian Triple and maybe a heavy Dubbel, and is one of the best beers I've had in a long, long time. If you haven't tried the current batch I recommend so immediately.

08-14-2008 15:15:58 | More by clayrock81
BeerTrick

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

So I've been holding back to actually reviewing on this site, self conscious I guess, but I think tonight with this beer is finally the time to write an actual review. How could I not start with a 120?

A: Deep golden amber, thin white head that dissipates to a ring quickly. If it was a girl, I'd call it pretty. It looks pretty. Weird, but whatever this is an amazing beer.

S: Hops, but not the usual hop smell. This is hops packed in candy. A sweetness that is unusual in beer. This almost smells crystallized. Crystallized hops.

T: Smooth, sweet hoppiness. Not overwhelming at all. A slight citrus flavor, backed up by sweetness. I can't taste any alcohol, except perhaps for a brief hint at the mid-throat level. 40 proof? Completely hidden.

M: The carbonation is light, but it still feels like silk. Yum.

D: Could I have more than one? Yes. But this is something to share.

08-14-2008 03:54:32 | More by BeerTrick
bsoakley

Rhode Island

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

dogfish head is a favorite of mine in general. do i like every beer they make? i would be lying if i answered yes. however, where as i dont love all of them thru and thru, i do respect and love their attitude to experiment and adventure with their beer. they really put their money where their mouth is and you have to respect that.

the 120 i have had was on tap. i have had it twice so far. once at the actual brewery where they were serving an oak aged version and now at julians. at julians it doesnt say that it is the oak aged but i have a very stron suspicion that it is indeed the same beer.

first off, its a twenty percenter so prepare to have ONE and surely do it on a full stomach. It has a nice amber color with a faint head more similar to a cider, as in barely but a few bubbles on top.

the smell is amazing. floral. hoppy. alcoholly.

the taste is surreal. very complex like an expensive wine that occasionally reminds you that you do indeed like wine. the chain of flavors is perfectly segregated but blended so well and smoothly. first you taste the bitter, the hops, the spring like floral powder. then you get the grapefruit and citrus sweetness. lastly a dry oaky finish. really a wild ride. so smooth. so smooth that although you do feel the alcohol you barely notice it while you are drinking despite how strong it is on the nose initially.

obviously not something to drink everyday but you must at least once treat yourself to this delicious brew.

08-13-2008 22:16:07 | More by bsoakley
Slynger

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

Solidly cloudy deep orange, with some fade to cloudy deep gold, and a creamy creamy cap.

Woahwah! It's super caramel malty and simply gushing with fruits. Bitter and spicy, damn tasty, supremely sippable, syrupy uber-full smooth, and a thickly creamy carb.

Glad I split this bottle, but a worthy beer for certain. Well deserved reputation. A hop-head's hard alcohol.

08-11-2008 22:25:01 | More by Slynger
cnally

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Here before me, a 120 Minute IPA. Bottled in '03. The beer poured a great looking very light head. The coloring was a dark amber-brown with some orange hints when held up to light.

The smell was very floral and fruity. The aromatics consisted of apricot, peach, and honey.

The taste of the beer continues on this apricot trend. In addition, there are elements of mango, and more honey. There is a pretty significant malt flavor as well. The alcohol, which is a major talking point about this beer, is well hidden through the drinking, but rises up a bit during the aftertaste.

The texture of this beer is more like wine than beer. Thick, sticky, sweet, and a numbing due to the alcohol. I feel like I have a sterilized tongue, then someone comes in with a flavor injection.

As far as drinkability, obviously you wouldn't want to have more than one. In fact, I had to wait till the next day to write the review. However, for the punch that this beer packs, it hides the alcohol taste well, and it is highly enjoyable and is a highly drinkable brew.

08-11-2008 01:28:01 | More by cnally
ndekke39

3.68/5  rDev -10%

Bought a 12 oz. bottle of this at a grocery store in Portland, Oregon, and brought it home to Ohio. Decanted into a white wine glass (tall sides, nice and open).

It looks just like apple cider: cloudy brownish-red, with a thin rim of white lace. It's delicious - makes me look forward to fall.

The first thing I notice with my nose in the glass is a sharp twang of alcohol, followed by a bunch of strong sweet, fruity notes. It smells like apple cider spiked with brandy or rum. Strong sugar notes, too: brown sugar and molasses. Can't detect a hit of the hops.

The taste is dominated by the alcohol and sweet notes as well. Begins with a big cut of alcohol, then again the brown sugar, apples, molasses, and a general boozy sense kick in. There's some bitterness in the finish, like apple skins, although there is a bitter herbal hoppiness in the aftertaste. For something marketed as "The Imperial India Pale Ale," I expected more of this off-the-hook hoppiness, when instead I'm getting strong boozy characteristics. This honestly reminds me of DFH's Raison D'extra more than the 60 or 90 Minute IPAs.

Mouthfeel is pretty thick, again like a heavy cider. Seems a good complement to the bold flavors.

You have to drink this slowly because of the high, high alcohol and the overt sweetness. Interesting experience; glad I tried one, but I probably won't go back for another.

08-09-2008 23:19:54 | More by ndekke39
beerthulhu

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Poured a medium burnt caramel-orange with a thin, creamy light beige head that had some orange hues to it. The head diminished rather quickly while the lacing was clean. Visible carbonation was light.

S: The nose was very sweet, with pungent pink grapefruit with sugary notes and a beautiful floral aroma. Some tangerines and sweet pine also are detected rounding out the aroma which was very nice.

T: The initial flavor was pungent pink grapefruit with a big sugary sweetness and floral hoppiness. There was some tangerines, sweet caramel and sweet pine resin also detected. A sticky caramel and sweet grapefruit hop lacing is found on the finish with only a slight alcohol awareness of the massive 20% abv. which is beautifully masked by the huge sweet malting and citrusy sweet hopping. The finish finds a dry floral, pine hopping and a beautiful balance of sweet caramel malts and hops that simply has to be experienced by oneself.

M: The mouthful is oily, thick and viscose with sticky sweet grapefruit and pine resin and caramel with a dry flora bitterness on the fade. There is a spicy alcohol nature upon warming but is very subdued considering the 20% abv.

D: Amazing drinkability, hardly any detection of the massive 20% abv nature which could be dangerous. A monster ipa that was beautifully crafted and balanced. Needless to say one should be plenty enough for an evenings enjoyment. Comes highly recommended and worthy of its price per pound. You just gotta taste this for yourself.

08-09-2008 13:18:55 | More by beerthulhu
PureGonzo

4.58/5  rDev +12%

Being a huge fan of Imperial IPAs I have to say Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA is like the dessert to end all desserts of India Pale Ales. It has a sweetness comparable to an english style barleywine ale with a delicious hint of piney robust hops at the end.

08-07-2008 22:55:42 | More by PureGonzo
USCTrojanBrian

Maryland

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz bottle dated 6/10/2007, courtesy of one of the DFH employees (many thanks!)

Surprising. I was thinking this would either be too sticky and sugary sweet per the other reviews, or just a massive hop bomb by nature, but its something completely different.

Yes, it's sweet, and yes, it's sticky. But it's not overboard on either. Definitely a slow drinker, not a whole lot of aroma to my bottle, but the aging seems to have mellowed out the profile.

Much more drinkable than I thought. Some lingering hop resin on the tongue late, not as much as I expected but about as bad as I've had just the same. This was something I'd try once, maybe get halfway through, but I easily finished it, enjoyed the fruity and sweet nature, definitely worth another try.

08-07-2008 04:21:24 | More by USCTrojanBrian
MiScusi

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottle dated 10/10/07

A- A really clear orange. Poured right down the center but not too much head on this. Only some white film and bubbles.

S- First thing that hits is an alcohol sting. But there is a huge fruity sweetness. Orangy.

T- Very fruity up front, finishes with a burnt sugar quality that reminds me so much of the burnt outer coating of a roasted marshmallow that has caught a bit on fire. As it warms up its just so amazingly sweet. I'm thinking the sweetness is really coming from the alcohol+hops and not so much underattenuated malt, although it could be some that.

M- at first there was a lot of fine carbonation in it, like minuscule bubbles. It's actually very good carbonation for the type of drink this is.

I thought I could only take my first 3 oz pour of it, since it was so sweet, but I've gone back for a 2nd pour. I really like this much better at fridge temp, cause when it warms up it gets way too sweet for me. But only wanting to drink about 6oz doesn't equate good drinkability to me, 21% ABV or not.

08-07-2008 02:45:18 | More by MiScusi
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

From notes:

A: Very rich copper color with an off white head, reduced to a thin film, but had longer retention than I thought, especially being 21%. 4.5

S: Sweet, melons really stand out, cantaloupe being the dominate one. Very malty and hoppy as well, very little alcohol smell, which is very surprising. 4.0

T: Very malty and sweet up front, the alcohol is very present throughout this beer, the same melon sweetness is in the beer. Hops are very interesting, and not what I expected. I figured on a flaming hop bomb, but the bitterness was very
balanced and almost over powered by alcohol, as it warms the hops really start to shine. Very interesting and complex, many different flavors and sensations, bitterness really pops out with warmth. 4.0

M: Very thick and creamy lots of malts, alcohol does a nice warming job. Very little carbonation but more than I thought with the ABV. 4.0

D: This is a once in a while/once in a lifetime beer. It is ok, but nothing worth $10 a 12oz bottle. If I had two I'd drink one and age the other for about twenty years and compare, not follow up with another one. 3.0

08-06-2008 02:31:51 | More by pokesbeerdude
Chele1097

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Here it is my favorite beer and my first review....

A - Deep cloudy golden orange color with a small off white head

S - Hops, sweet molasses, hops, fruit, and hops

T - Warm sweet bourbon, strong hops with a caramel malt very well balanced

M - Thick, creamy and warm

D - YES! With the 20% abv you need to take your time with this one, and that is the key to enjoyment, "ONE" at a time.

I had this on several occasions now. First time I purchased it at Union Jacks while I was there for the Easter Hop Fest 2008. My next experience was at DFH Brewery Tour and again at the DFH Restaurant, 7/2008. I am now holding a 4 pack for future consumption. Overall I would have to say it is "The Great One" of IPA's.

08-06-2008 00:24:42 | More by Chele1097
czfreeman

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

My 1 year anniversary as a beer advocate member review, decided to spend it drinking the most biggest, baddest, hoppiest muthfucker in existence.
Pours out a dirty amber apricot grapefruit toned golden murky color, nice white foamy head leaving sticky lacing in the glass
If still had nose hairs after smelling the beer I could continue with aroma bouquet, but my nose had been burned off. Delicious, citric, burning Grand marnier-like notes, malts, even charcoal like.
Holy fucking hops batman! I actually cant believe how balanced it is, huge malt bill in a tug-of war with the hops, huge grapefruits, citrus, malts,spicy alcohol, burning finish.
this is an incredibly drinkable Dipa, this goes where none have dared venture, yet is the textbook explanation of a beer brewed to be an extreme ipa doubled. drink in small sips, straight to the back of the throat for your own safety. will anything ever taste hoopy again?

08-05-2008 03:27:54 | More by czfreeman
KeefD

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

Is there any reason why this one has a clever warning symbol painted on the cap?

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass, a very dark amber color with light foam that settled into a thin cap, only to disappear completely very quickly. A quick swirl of the glass brings the foam back, and some nice carbonation is is created from the laser etching in the glass. Upon taking a big whiff of this thing, it's surprising not all hops and no malt. In fact it's the opposite. First hit is of strong, warming alcohol, followed by big bready malts, and then the floral, piney hop smell.

Good lord, what have I gotten myself into? This is the most extreme beer I've ever tasted. It's VERY sweet. Almost too sweet for a DIPA. I don't know if I could consider it that, as it's more along the lines of a barley wine. Maybe they should create a new category just for this beer known as TIPA (Triple India Pale Ale).

Malts are very present, lots of caramel flavor, very bready and thick. Hops are a mega-blast of resinous hop oil, slightly fruity, but mostly sweet with lots of candied-sugar and maple syrup flavors. Alcohol warming is deep and very present.

Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, very full-bodied - syrupy. There's somewhat average carbonation by the look, but very hard to feel on the tongue.

Obviously this is a one-off beer only. There's no way I could drink more than one in a sitting and not lose my head. Alcohol is just way to high and it's WAY too sweet.

I'm not sure what to think about this one. I kinda like, but I want to hate it. It's big. It's ballsy. And yes, it's extreme. But are there many more redeeming qualities?

Not many.

08-05-2008 01:13:33 | More by KeefD
btcook007

Arizona

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Wow, this one is tough to review in a way. It is unlike any other Imperial IPA I have ever tried. The 90-minute would be my standard for an Imperial/Double IPA, and this just takes it to a completely different level. An EXTREME beer. I rated it exceptional in almost all categories, because it is exceptional - an exception to the IPA style.

A=Pours a deep amber color with a small, tightly-packed, off-white head. Thick and syrupy.

S= Molasses, brown sugar, apricots, port, alcohol. If you're looking for the Citrusy/Piney/Hoppy features, it's not here.

T=Again, unlike a typical IPA, none of the citrus/pine hop profile. Instead, it is overwhelmingly syrupy/peachy with an alcohol punch, lots of complex flavors going on here.

M=Coats the mouth. Almost a medicine-y mouthfeel. Cloyingly sweet finish.

D= This would be a nice after-dinner bear in place of a port or brandy. Must be sipped slowly to be enjoyed

08-02-2008 00:47:16 | More by btcook007
Dogfishipas

Washington

4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

Proabably the best IPA I've ever had. The alcohol taste is there, but for 21% you couldn't tell until that buzz kicks in :)

This beer reminds me alot of a liqour and has a peachy liquor(for lack of a better description) smell to it. The biggest draw back to this beer is the cost at $8.99 a bottle, but you do get your moneys worth. Don't plan on drinking other IPA's with this beer at the same time because it's in a whole other league.

08-01-2008 02:59:21 | More by Dogfishipas
UA8

Washington

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

A- Looks like what I'd imagine a beer that is 21% alcohol would look like super deep copper color almost syrupy on the pour.

S- Scents of candied fruits and some citrus.

T- WHOA. that was pretty much the same taste as doin a shot.
lots of malt flavors of dried and candied fruit slight hops undertone. Then lots of one thing and that's alcohol.

M- Less viscous than I expected. Moderate amounts of very fine carbonation.

D- I should rate this lower since this stuff is not some much drinkable as an experience. Ive had bourbons at 40+% abv that were smoother.

07-31-2008 22:46:27 | More by UA8
chuckd123

Connecticut

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Big IPA fan as well as huge DFH fan, so trying the 120 was a must. But.. holy crap this thing is intense.

Poured from a 12oz bottle (purcahsed at a Whole Foods of all places for about $12 I believe) into a goblet. First impression, just watching it pour - was that the stuff has the consistency of syrup. I knew going into it that at 21% this was going to be in a league of its own and nothing like DFH's other IPA's, and that was a severe understatement.

No doubt DFH set out to create the most extreme IPA they could, and I guess you could say it's a success in that regard.

After pouring, I took a whiff and it's a little hard to describe. It actually smells thick and syrupy -- with the hops right in your face. There's a fruity/floral smell mixed with the hops, but the hops hit you right away -- and oddly, it actually smells syrupy if that makes any sense.

The taste is like no other beer I've ever tried. If I didn't know it was an iteration of an IPA, I probably wouldn't have guessed that it was. If you're thinking -- well, I like theiri 60 min, and the 90 is good too -- well know that this thing bears little resemblance to either of those.

Needless to say, drinkability is hindered by the abv%, one bottle of this is something you'd want to enjoy slowly. The taste grows on you substantially from the first sip to the last.

If you call yourself a hophead, give it a try - at least once.

07-30-2008 12:48:31 | More by chuckd123