120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +10%

First, I love this "beer". Had to have it sent Fedex to my house. Ohio has beer laws that prevent it's availability in the market. Thank You New Jersey!! It's a beautiful orange-ish, cloudy ale with a thick tan head, (kinda like me). The smell is citrus and malt. Lots and lots of malt. Taste is instant hops and alcohol. So much alcohol that I haven't been able to drink 2 in an evening, at home, of course. Great to split with a couple friends, but the drinkability is very tough. Every Hop Head should try it once...OK twice

GCGrant, Feb 03, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -58.4%

Let me just say that DFH 90 is my favorite IPA hands down. So I was excited when 120 was on the shelf and i bought 4 bottles. DFH pushes the envelope, but this was pushed to far.

A- golden brown with big thick off white head

S- Flowery hops hit like a slap in the face

T- bitter hops like i am chewing on the flower and alcohol hit like i am washing it down with gasoline

M- balanced

D- a bitter disappointment pun intended.

mcarroll10177, Feb 02, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -16.1%

Absolutely, Positively, THE most hoppy beer I've ever had by far. This makes it an almost impossibly hard beer to get through, as the hop character overpowers every other characteristic. If you're looking to add a notch to your IPA belt, go for it. But if you just want a good beer, go elsewhere.

tlinner, Feb 01, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1%

A- An orange globe of deliciousness fills my snifter. There's just a film of light white bubbles forming the head on top of the liquid. The beer starts out cloudy, but is much clearer by the end of drinking it.

S- Orange liquor, boozy, caramel, dense biscuit malt. the aroma is interesting and different. I'm not sure I'd call it enticing though, especially with the bit of sharp burn it causes my nostrils.

T- My first impression is Gran Marnier. It's very orangy, and more than that, very sweet orangy, like canned Manderines. There's a sweet caramel backbone over which the oranges dance like ballerinas. And as expected there's a good deal of booziness, starting as rum on the front of my tongue, and morphing into vodka in the back of my mouth and throat- hot but not really burning.

M- Impressive that this one is 21%, how is there no burn? I've tasted red wines and liquors w/ less alcohol and more burn. The feat of hiding that is quite impressive. The carbonation level is perfect- low, present but barely.

D- After I poured this one into my snifter I added a few ounces of water to the bottle, swirled out the sediment, and drank that down- could've been a normal pale ale. This I think demonstrates the raw power of 120. But really while drinking it I didn't notice the power, not the alcohol, but the delicious caramel and orange flavors. I could very much enjoy this beer as a nightcap, if I was a richer man that is. But for this special occasion of my 200th review, and 2nd year BA anniversary, this beer is a delicious tribute indeed.

zdk9, Feb 01, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -30.3%

12 oz bottle served around fiddy degrees.

Deep orange, mostly opaque, with 2F head dropping to film, and leaving a bit o' lacing.

Holy crap that's a strong aroma. Smelled of Pine Sol and old latex paint, and frankly scared me...

Taste was a little more manageable - but still like drinking a toxic chemical. There was some grapefruit rhind, and a deeply bitter barley sweetness. One of the few beers I've ever had that required me to eat something with it - not to enjoy the flavor, but to simply to finish this one-of-a-kind beer.

Rich, slightly cloying mouthfeel. Ok carbonation, and lingering after-film.

Drinkability Analogy: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

Look, I love DF Head, hops, IPAs, and even DIPAs, but I'm not sure WHAT this was... other than truly UNIQUE.

BeerImmediately, Feb 01, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

It pours a cloudy orange-yellow with a small off-white head.

The smell is dominated by pine and lemon. Medicinal. There's plenty of strange maltiness which is a bit tough to pinpoint: orange syrup?

Again, pine and orange on the palate. Very sweet, rich, and hardly bitter at all - at least for a 120 minute. Very different than any other beer I've had. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden.

The feel is smooth and mouth-coating, and a bit cloying. The carbonation is nice - light and effervescent which this beer need.

This is dramatically more drinkable than expected. But, to be real, it is a 100% sipper, with consequences when under pressure to drink too fast. I was in a bit of a rush to make my dinner reservations, and this beer is tough to drink at anything faster than a slow sip.

The exception already noted, this beer gets better and better further through the bottle. I get the impression on both the nose and palate that the hops used are a little scattered and unfocused. It creates an experience which is a bit all over the place and extremely unclean. I like my hoppy beers to be clean (thus my preference for West Coast IPAs). This beer is well balanced, even fresh; and it is easy to see how this beer would change with cellar time. I'd like to try that at some point, and I do wish this were more available for me.

jpiper, Jan 31, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

This beer pours a dark orange with a nice frothy white head that quickly disappears. Smells like a huge IPA with pine and a hoppy sweetness. Tastes incredibly strong with alcohol at the begining, middle and end with classic Piny, grapefruity tastes throughout. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Drinkability is decent considering the outrageous abv. I split this one and probably could of drank the bottle if I really took my time. Overall I am really glad I tried this.

johnd513, Jan 30, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured a copper color with large frothy off-white head that lasted with excellent lacing. Heavy complex citrus hoppy aroma with a sweet tone. Full body with a slick texture. Heavy bitter flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of long duration.

This is a standout beer and very good double IPA.

tmoneyba, Jan 30, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -54%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Dark brown, reddish appearance with about a finger width's of head.

S- VERY hoppy. Extreme would be a good word to describe the scent. Nothing but hops.

T- Alcohol and extreme hops. By far the most hoppy beer I have ever had. Definitely overly hoppy. Weird after taste.

M- Bitter and dry, though it's hard to tell because you can't really get much in your mouth because it is so hoppy.

D- It's hard enough to finish one.

Overall this takes hops to a new extreme. Definitely something unique that everyone should try once.

Bagman007, Jan 28, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

I shared this brew with a friend, what a treat.

A - Pours a two finger head that is nice, white and fluffy. The body is a dark orange almost brown body that is much darker and hazier than most IPA's.

S - Pretty strong IPA smell, with the standard pine, hoppy smell with a nice sweetness. This isn't the best IPA I have smelled but it is solid. The smell of alcohol is also slightly present in this beer.

T - WOW. What an intense drink. This beer has 21% abv and you can tell the minute it hits your tongue. In an attempt to mask the alcohol there is an uncharacteristically odd sweetness that this beer has that is not in IPAs. The hops and citrus that are present in any IPA are here too but it doesn't do it for me. The sweetness is strange for an IPA, however I can applaud there attempt to mask the alcohol as it is pretty impressive despite not following a traditional IPA.

M - The usual IPA components stand out early with the hops and citrus flavor releasing into your mouth first. It then transitions to a sugary, sweet finish that leaves an odd taste of alcohol and sugary sweetness in your throat.

D - Low and not because of the alcohol content. While the alcohol content is strong, my biggest point in contention is the sugar and sweetness this beer has.

I would have liked to see more hops added instead of this sugar/sweetness combination to mask the alcohol. Still impressive feat but for about $8 a bottle this isn't worth it to me. Still fun to try once.

Wisconsin, Jan 28, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -12%

a: Orangey copper haze.. Light colored head.. Less than a finger deep..

s: Wow.. Very strong.. Apprehensive.. Hops.. Sugar sweet.. Acetone..

t: Strong.. Nose gets in the way of the flavor.. Intense..

m: Thick.. Chewy..

d: My second DFH 120.. Time to retire from this one..

Crafted, Jan 27, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Slightly hazy cider orange body with a thin layer of off-white head despite a fairly aggressive pour; decent lacing. Fine aromas--some hops but certainly not overbearing for a DIPA, or a strong IPA for that matter. The smell is also malty, vinous, and like rum liqueur.

Good taste, lots of fruit especially grapefruit, orange, and pineapple. It's really delicious but boozy, with occasional flashes of hot alcohol. But it's also on the whole quite smooth and viscous. Very delicious, but not a quaffer. The 21% alcohol is for real and one must be wary. Thankfully, 120 easily maintains its flavor when sipped periodically and set down for a breather, which I'd recommend.

Terrific beer, a DIPA liqueur really, and one I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Very unique and, though expensive, well worth enjoying one and cellaring a couple, if one can afford it.

Gehrig, Jan 25, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Bottle date 11/06/08

Poured into Mug (sorry)

Light amber color with very little head. It quickly dissipated to almost nil. Small amount of lacing.

Smell of crushed wildflowers and thyme.

Very heavy, and a bit chewy. Certainly hangs around for awhile on the tongue.

Flavors of honey, lemon and cardamon. Moderate to heavy sweetness, with the alcohol coming in heavy toward the end.

A tad too sweet for my taste buds. Still a happy experience. I stop at one. But, will definitely have it again.

DigitalHype, Jan 24, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

I had this from a bottle, poured into a straight sided half-pint glass.

A= This ale poured a slightly hazy orange-gold-copper color with a 1/4" thin white head. The head only lasted a short while, dropped to a skim, and left just a few spots of lace.

S= The most dominant smell was of course a huge solventy alcohol. My trick is to blow softly across the glass to clear this away, and then take a good sniff. In that instance, I found an aroma profile dominated by super sweet malts, tropical fruit, and some piney hops.

T= Very sweet malt character up front lead into a middle filled with tropical fruit (mango, grapefruit, melon) and citrusy hops. Finish was all hot alcohol with a slight aftertaste of hops. Overall taste: The alcohol is once again the 800lb gorilla here, but the flavors do at least mesh well with that peppery alcohol hammer.

MF= Heavier bodied with a syrupy and slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation level does keep this from being too syrupy.

D= A very interesting beer here. Not something I will want to drink too often or in very high quantities (thus reducing its drinkability). It is a well crafted beer however and one that everyone should try from time to time and certainly a great candidate for aging a year (or three).

spointon, Jan 24, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

This is the super strong IPA that has the strong smell of alcohol. I mean how can it not with a 20% abv?
It is an excellent looking brew that pours a mid amber color with an off white head that melts quickly. Probably from the strong amount of alcohol.
Smells of piney, flowery hops, citrus, sweet honey, and alcohol.
Tastes sweet and syrupy with hops and washes down with a lot of booze.
I would be a big liar if I said this was drinkable. Imagine drinking this everyday? and at $8.50 for a 12 oz. It's irrational to pay that much when for 54 cents more I could get a whole 6-pack of Sierra Torpedo or Hopdevil.

KBoudreau66, Jan 24, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

I had this on draft at the brew pub and got a four pack to take with me from the brewery. It's an overwhelming beer. It's a stretch to call it an IPA, this beer is more of maybe a monster IPA. The beer looks good, has a nice golden color. It smells good, but with more maltiness. The taste is very multidimensional. It's more like a port in terms of the sweetness, but the flavors are all over the place with a nice focus in the hops, with a slightly bitter finishing bite that regresses back to sweetness. The hops flavor doesn't stay long though because of the extreme alcohol. The flavor endures for a good 30 seconds after swallowing this beast with all sorts of sweet fruity goodness. I'm excited to try the beers I've been aging this summer to see what happens. A great beer for a special occasion.

bheilman, Jan 18, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to some of my best customers, Brian and Dani, for this one!

12oz brown glass with pry-top. Bottled on 7/8/08.

Appearance: Medium amber with a tan/white quarter-inch head. Head recedes quickly and leaves no lacing. Just a scattering of foam on the surface.

Nose: Super sweet smelling (I know, I know, you can't smell sugar). Aromas of dried figs, dates, dried flowers, white rose petals, something like cardboard (not faulted), dried orange peel.

Palate: Immediately sweet and round mouthfeel. There's a little prickle from the alcohol and a warming of the throat after swallowing. Flavors of dried figs, mango withpeel, dried papaya, aloe, hay, lemon, and dusty clay. There's something that really reminds me of a nice sweet Madeira (Malmsey and Bual blend perhaps?).

Notes: Although this monster is super sweet, it hides the 20% abv pretty well. I think there's a lot of complexity on the palate, more than most critics want to admit to. Yes, it's unbalanced, but who ever thought they were going for balance with a 2 hour boil and 45-degree plato? I tried this beer two years ago and thought it was marginally "overpriced," but my opinion has changed. I dig it and I think it's worth the money.

SFLpunk, Jan 18, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Certainly not an every day beer. I can only take down this amount of alcohol in one beer if I am at home surrounded by people who love me that i also trust. But on those occasions where you only want one, but want the effect of many, this is great. winter is the right time, with a fire roaring. the first taste may put you off, pretty alcohol filled. after that it is smooth as silk. it has a big thick mouth feel. one of my top 3 beers, under the right circumstances

hargettf, Jan 16, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

I poured a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass. It pours a deep clear orange with minimal head. The aroma is very sweet and medicinal. There are very strong alcohol notes as well. IMO the flavor is more of a strong Belgian than a DIPA. The flavor profile is of a sweet booze with a hint of grapefruit. The beer is full bodied with moderate carbonation. With a 21% ABV 120 is a definite sipper. This is a beer evry one should try, a high alcohol beer with a great flavor profile.

bonkers, Jan 15, 2009

Found singles at Total Wine and More in Claymont, Delaware.

Appearance: Poured a deep, cloudy orange with minimal head. Not much head, but great lacing as you work your way through the glass.

Smell: A lot of alcohol aroma hit my nose first. Some very light fruit notes in there as well. A bit intimidating, as if the ABV listed on the bottle wasn't intimidating enough.

Taste: A lot of grapefruit. I'd call it a grapefruit bomb if it were not for the citrus taste that came in later. Hard to swish this brew around in the mouth for too long as the alcohol burn kicks in.

Mouthfeel: Very oily hop feel that sticks to your palate. Little carbonation. Very warm alcohol feel in the back of the throat that travels down your chest for a few seconds.

Drinkability: I found this to be a very good tasting beer, albeit a sipper for sure. I docked it a little in the drinkability department because the ridiculous ABV makes it very hard to get through more than one without being quite drunk. I finished one in about 30 minutes and it was a very surreal feeling getting that tipsy that fast. Thats not to say I didn't like it :)

A great beer for the hophead in you. I would certainly buy it again, but be weary of having more than one.

Ezekiel81923, Jan 15, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

12oz '08 edition. Thanks mfielden for the awsome trade!!!

A: Super heavy orange.Very little carbonation. So cloudy no light comes thru when I shine a led flashlight on the opposite side of the glass.

S: Hops&booze, and more booze!! After a few sniffs I can make out faint fruity notes.

T: Oh man this is some good firewater! I read reviews from all over b4 I finally got this beer in my grubby paws, so I was expecting all kinds of gnarley flavors and alcohol burn. To my suprise I find this beer smooth, with great orange/grapefruit/lemon flavor. It's really shocking how well this beer hides the 21%! Scary. To sum it up easily it tastes like alcoholic citrus juice.

M: Pretty smooth going down. After-taste has me licking my lips. Citrus really lingers along with the warming alcohol.

D: I'm in love! I wish I could buy this whenever I pleased in Cali. I've got one more bottle(thanks again mfielden!). I'll try to age it, but I doubt I'll have the warewithall to stand the temptation of this beast...

Update: Drank the second bottle that same night!

ironlung, Jan 15, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A. Nice color and very cloudy when poured cold, No head and no carbonation. There was a last drizzle of color as i poured the bottle into my glass.

S. Paint thinner and honey ( I was assured this was normal).

T. Sweet with a bite. I liked it more than I though I would after the initial smell. However, I don't know if I overhyped it in my mind.

M. No carbonation

D. The experience was just too complex for me. Too many flavors mixing with alcohol. I suppose I could develop a taste for this beer overtime, but found the experience overwhelming from a beer drinking perspective.

xfactor9600, Jan 14, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

Reviewed 1/14/2008 (bottled 3/30/06, aged in a cool fridge):

Pours a light red body, clear, small white head. Dark fruit plummy aroma, sweet, some alcohol, no hops whatsoever. Strong sweet flavor, some flavors like roasted, dark fruit. Almost woodsy. Some alcohol. (bottled 5/10/07, aged in a cool fridge) Pours a darker red color, white head, small & not lasting. Very hoppy aroma, bitter. Very hoppy taste, non-sweet grapefruit aftertaste. Some alcohol, some dark fruit. More balanced.

jujubeast6000, Jan 13, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -41.3%

A. Nice amber color, cloudy when poured cold, honey-like color when warmed up a bit, no longer cloudy. No noticeable head. Little carbonation.

S. Rubbing Alcohol. Very little hop aroma. Honey.

T. Alcohol, very sweet- and I mean very! Hops? Barely getting through the alcohol and honey taste. Way too sweet to be considered an IPA in my opinion- more like a barley wine.

M. Warm, sticky, thin

D. This was one of the hardest beers for me to drink. The alcohol and sweetness are just too overpowering. I feel like I'm fighting to get to the bottom of the glass.

Wow! This beer packs one hell of a punch! 21% abv is just ridiculous to me. I think 9% is pushing it. I appreciate the fact that beers with this kind of abv are actually made but I think that's what straight liquor is for.

This is supposed to be the holy grail for hopheads- I don't agree. More like the holy grail for alcoholics! I'd rather have a DFH 60 Min IPA.

(p.s. I tried a Duck Rabbit 2008 Barley Wine just the other day that was hoppier than this.)

Kobangus, Jan 12, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1%

Let me pretext this review by saying I am in no way a fan of IPAs or hoppy beers in general. I think there is a ridiculous hop craze and I wish it would end!!!
All that said, I tohught this was a great beer- hats off to Dogfish Head!
The appearance was a rich lite golden amber and poured a beautiful head.
The smell of course was boozy and hoppy.
The taste for a 20%er was wonderful. The hops really provide balance to the big abv.
certainly not a very drinkable beer with such a high abv but worth having in the fridge for solo occasions to sip and ponder.

imperialbigswig, Jan 11, 2009