120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

2.5/5  rDev -39.2%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Great head retention. The lace holds strong. This pours a gold amber. You can tell at the pour that it is a medium bodied beer.

S - Very hoppy smell with a fruity to citrus scent. I can almost smell the acidity.

T - Sweet for an ipa with a strong bitterness from the hops. It almost seems to even out from the two radicals. There is a booming of flavor which is what I expected from this beer.

M - Such a thick viscosity to this beer. I have had stouts that were lighter than this beer. The carbonation is noticeable in this beer but not overpowering.

O - This is a good beer. Out of all dogfish head's beers I preferred this one, except for the chicory stout. This lives up to it's expectations.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottle shared by Steve at my 22nd birthday. 12oz bottle, 2010 date on the bottle.

Poured a slightly hazy orange brown, moderate amounts of retention and lace. Nose has loads of hops and citrus notes, mild pineapple among other things. Herbal notes, that I'm sure come as a result of the sheer amount of hops here. Some fusel alcohol. Massive malt base - caramel and toffee, some toasty malt notes as well. Taste has lots of resinous hop flavours, lightly toasty malts and sugary caramel and toffee notes. Chewy and sticky feel, but not extremely heavy. Ethanol and heat in the finish, fairly bitter but not palate shredding. Super sweet and rich overall, a sample of this was adequate. I wasn't terribly blown away with this, but this was certainly an experience.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into snifter from 12oz bottle. Bottled on date: 9/19/11

Appearance: Pretty amber color. Decent amount of lacing on the sides of the glass. Finger-thick, off-white head.

Smells: The aroma is really good, regardless of how much alcohol I detected. I can tell it's going to be a boozy beer. I get hints of agave nectar, apple juice, caramel, and the slightest bit of hops. The malts definitely overpower the hops though.

Taste: Ridiculously sweet. At first I didn't even really detect the hops. The bitterness in the finish is the only indication I get that the beer was hopped. There is definitely alcohol in the finish too.

Mouthfeel: Creamy in my opinion. A little on the thick side actually. Little to no carbonation, and I wish there was more. I need that refreshing feeling. This beer does the opposite, and the warmth of the alcohol settles in your throat for a while after sipping. Probably a better idea to have had this beer on a cold night.

Overall: It's an interesting beer. I like its taste, but at the same time I don't because this isn't what I feel a Double IPA should taste like. I miss the hoppiness. Where's the citrusy hops? I don't particularly like sweet IPA's, but I can't deny that this is still a good beer. Not my favorite Double IPA, yet I can't stop sipping it. I have another one that I'll age for at least a year, which is something I look forward to.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

All I can make out on neck of bottle is..."bottled in 2011"...poured into a tulip.

A- Pours a clear orange amber, topped with a finger and a half creamy white head. Spotty lacing throughout.

S- A little bit of caramel malt sweetness.
Some citrus. Faint hops and booze.

T- Sweet caramel and citrus. Some malt.

M- Slightly sticky. Slightly oily. Somewhat creamy. Definitely coats tongue and mouth.

O- A little bit of a burn after it lands in the belly. Had this in 2008 and 2009...I think. This is not as syrupy as in the past. Love it! Hard to describe. Want more! Cannot imagine having two of these at one sitting. Best of the three years mentioned.

3.82/5  rDev -7.1%

If for no other reason, this should get a ridiculously high rating for it's hidden alcohol. I had DFH Fort which has a comparable ABV, and that one seemed like it could've been hooked up to a flame thrower. This, in contrast, drinks pretty friggin smooth. Nice coppery orange coloration with just a bit o' wisp for a head. Amongst the many citrus smells, I'm actually catching a bit of bubble gum. Taste is strong, but again, the abv is hidden pretty well. Nice crisp bite at the end. A surprising creaminess is there on the mouthfeel. Nice beer, but at $10 bucks for a single....

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Can't even remember if I've ever tried this.
Damn, I remembered this being 12% or something.. not 18%!
Cool.

A- A very nice but terribly hazy burnt orange. I think the head would be a dirty-white if I could manage to get one. It just fizzles out.

S- Citrus medley of all sorts... mandarin, orange a bit of grapefruit. Also smells of unfermented wort... like LME or something. Lots of alcohol, but it smells great.

T- Very smooth. The malt taste is peculiar, different than what I'm used to. Surprising how little hop bite there is. The bitterness doesn't linger. Not as syrupy and sickly sweet as I thought (or as people tend to say). Some white tea and the lightest touch of caramel.

M- Obviously not thin... not as thick as I thought though. Moderate carbonation gives it all a nice foamy texture.

O- I enjoyed this. Kind of a bummer since I want to buy more and I found this one for $12.95.

It's a sunny -1C day in Montreal and this has a nice refreshing yet warming quality to it. Good beer. A good way of seeing how versatile beer can be.
If there was a beer hall of fame, this should be in it.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery