120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
BladeRunner

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a nice hazy orange with at least a two finger foamy head. Good retention and some stickiness.

Smell hits you with spicy citrus notes. The smell of alcohol is somewhat present too.

Taste is very sweet and syrupy. Hops aren't really that bitey, but are there for sure. Really a smooth beer all the way down. Never harsh at all. Maybe this bottle has been sitting around for awhile and tamed a bit.

Drinkability is very good when your just drinking one every once in awhile, but considering the alcohol it packs I can't give it a higher score. Too bad, because this is a really good brew that I would have loved to be able to drink one after the other. I guess 90 minute will have to do. ( :

10-12-2007 15:03:17 | More by BladeRunner
chefscott79

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

I just sampled a bottle the other day from 2004

I found it for 9 bucks...score

A: nothing special

Smell: I knew I was in for a strong beer...lots of alcohol tinged with tangerine...

Taste....wow....it blew me away....super mellowed hop character....with lots of tangerine notes

mouth feel...great thick and viscous

Drinkability....I liked it....as a special occasion beer....too strong for everyday drinking...but I enjoyed it nonetheless

10-11-2007 23:38:04 | More by chefscott79
sirpsycho

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle. Pours dark, orange-amber. Sweet aroma. Was not prepared for the first sip, like said by others, WOW, I liked this right away ! Each sip thereafter it just got better and better. Sweet but not annoying sweet, hops dominate with fruity undertones. Alcohol is well hidden, creeps up on ya ! To quote Tommy Chong "It kinda grabs you by the boo-boo!" Can’t wait to try this one again.

10-08-2007 11:23:41 | More by sirpsycho
rallison

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Always wanted to try this one...

Served at a bit under cellar temp into a Gulden Draak glass. Pours a muddy amber brown with a 1/2 finger creamy off-white head that will not quite die (21%, how is this possible?). Smells hot - rum-soaked caramel malts and earthy, piny hops. Resiny smelling. Nice.

Taste is quite unique. Lots of alcohol here, but I am actually enjoying it in this beer. Brandy-soaked caramel. Piny hops. Earthy, woody flavors. Lots of bitterness at the end. This beer has ridiculously strong flavors working together (and occasionally verging on fighting against each other). Hot alcohol finish as well - the hops and alcohol stay on the back of your tongue a while. What a warming beer!

Mouthfeel is immensely rich, something the carbonation never completely matches up to - this, however, ends up giving it sipping characteristics that work nicely.

Drinkability? How to rate this one? I don't know. I personally find this quite drinkable, so I shall rate it high enough.

Recommended. If you enjoy the boozy flavors in a rich DIPA, you'll enjoy this beer - or at least find it interesting.

Edit (2008-02-05) - Still love this beer. Rich sweetness and alcohol is still somehow mellowed by the hops. An exceptional 21% beer. That said, I'd guess this is best fresh or with a number of years age on it - anywhere in the middle could become too sweet I would say. But hey, that's just my opinion - so take it as you will.

09-26-2007 07:37:02 | More by rallison
NCSUdo

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this from a 12 oz. bottle. I totally forgot about the hugh ABV on this baby until half way through, so it pains me to say that I did not finish the bottle for I still had some beers I wanted to taste.

Bottle on 12/18/06.

A: Amber/copper hue with some slight haze. Big slow bubbles rising to the top. Small head. A good looking beer.

S: Huge hop nose and I mean huge. All types of citrus character gives it a very sweet candy-like aroma. Really a great aroma.

T: Incredible taste, sweet with an extremely dry finish. Some coffee hints and surprisingly little hop bitterness. Some alchol taste and warming. Some grapefruit. To say this taste is complex is an understatement and aging would probably do wonders for this brew.

M/D: Sticky, thick and full bodied. Drinkability is definately limited by the fullness and ABV. Little carbonation.

09-24-2007 01:21:31 | More by NCSUdo
ekempey

4.65/5  rDev +14%

I enjoyed a one year aged bottle out of a snifter glass and here are my notes:

The beer poured a rich caramel color, with a 2 finger head which laced all the way down. VERY hoppy aroma around the beer, and the taste was much the same. A great deal of warmth with the 20%+ ABV and the 100+ IBU's kicked me straight back in my chair. This beer is made for sipping, anyone who chugs this is missing the delecate balance of hoppiness and warmth.

09-23-2007 22:24:03 | More by ekempey
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

3.55/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a hazy brown color with a ½” creamy head – nice lacing. The aroma is initially of hops with a subtle sourness perceptible. The taste is definitely strong of hops. There is a balancing sweetness from the malt, but the hops definitely dominate. The finish is quite bitter, but not overwhelming. The mouthfeel is full and seems appropriate for the beer. I had a preconceived notion that this would be an intensely hoppy brew that was one dimensional. It has a nice amount of malt and is quite enjoyable. (Sometimes it is nice being wrong).

09-15-2007 23:23:14 | More by barefootbrewer
bort11

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Big thanks to kirok1999 for this one.

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Quick fizzy head that starts off about a 1/4 inch and recedes to a filmy cap. Color is a hazy orange. Just the faintest shadow of my fingers can bee see through the glass.
Smell...Oh...My...God!! Sweet and mild aromatic hops creates a slight burn all the way to my lungs. I swear I caught a contact high from the smell.
The taste is a buttery smooth and sweet flavor. A sweet malt balance to the intense hops presence. Pleasant alcohol burn.
Mouthfeel has a creamy character. Very smooth with a boozy character. I really love this beer and want to get more, but I would never take on more than one at a time.. Still, anyone with extras please feel free to send them my way.

09-15-2007 02:31:36 | More by bort11
Dansting

Kansas

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Pours a cloudy brownish-orange color with a thick white head. Nice lacing. Aroma has more malt than I'd think with a nice citrusy hoppy beers. Excellent mouthfeel. Flavor is strong in alcohol with an orange hint to it. Nice, sweet, and hoppy, but not overpowering. A solid beer.

09-13-2007 02:51:30 | More by Dansting
snowranger05

New Hampshire

4.08/5  rDev 0%

This was a surprise find, so I hid it from myself for the summer. Now that it's past Labor Day, there's no sense torturing myself anymore.

On first pour, it looks like an average Double IPA--deep orange and coppery colored, not a great head, but I can tell it's not flat. Then I take a whiff--again, nothing out of the ordinary here. There is an alcoholic note buried in there, under lots of malty sweetness that reminds me of dried pineapple (the real stuff, not the sugary crap), and yep, there's some hop aroma, but it's not overtly floral.

Then I take a sip...whoa, hold up a sec. Let me try that again...Wow. I was expecting something like this, but then again I wasn't expecting *this*. The carbonation starts to come out as soon as it hits my lips, then the underlying silky texture fills my mouth, while my taste buds do a boogie like we were back at a Dead show in the late 70's. There's more than enough malt to go around in this beer. Well balanced with the hops, too. It's as though the hops were stripped down to their most elemental tastes, there's no hint of overly aggressive bitterness, no light-as-air-freshener citrus like some modern DIPA's...but it's all there. Finally, there is something of a buttery, alcoholic fuzz lingering around the finish line. Hmmm.

It's not something I'll be drinking a lot of, but that's not because I don't like it. The price and availability will make this a specialty brew for me. Perhaps I'll put a few in my cellar and see what happens over time.

09-11-2007 00:56:55 | More by snowranger05
dogger6253

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Golden orange color, lighter toward the bottom. Cloudy and bubbly. Has a nice, pillowy head with great retention and great lacing left behind.

Smells of chocolate, hops, honey, brown sugar, lemon, banana and cloves.

The taste is where this beer REALLY shines though. With banana, cloves, honey, hops, plums, dates, figs, raisins, grapes, pine, grapefruit, ginger, lemon, and alcohol all working together, how can you go wrong? This is a glorious challenge for the palette, one that everyone wins with. Absolutely incredible flavor. A 5.0 might not be a good enough rating.

Medium bodied, little carbonation, but creamy and full of texture. However, there is a slight burn from the alcohol. The taste is so amazing, but I couldn't drink this casually, too much to not sit down and savor.

09-08-2007 16:31:47 | More by dogger6253
GPHarris

Alabama

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

12 oz. bottle that i've cellared for one year

a - poured a one finger thick light tan head into a snifter. left some nice sheeting and lacing throughout. i was amazed how much it billowed with a swirl of the glass considering the high ABV. the body was a bright deep amber shade.
s - i could smell the hops from three feet away. lots of grapefruit and sweet malty aromas in this one.
t - malty and sweet, hoppy, grapefruit.
m - sticky and bubbly, it really coats the tongue. i can feel this sticking to my teeth, i might need to floss after drinking this.
d - this is a smooth sipper and it makes you want to drink it fast even though it has some heat to it but it's not overwhelming. i like it a lot. i think this could be amazing with 5-10 years of cellaring instead of the 1 i put behind it.

09-05-2007 15:16:53 | More by GPHarris
kajerm

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle at Clark St. Ale House. I may as well disclose right now that I fully expect this to be cloying, over-the-top, overpriced crap.

Pours dark amber and extremely cloudy with a very thin head but ample lacing. It pretty much looks how I expect a massively-hopped but malty 21% ABV beer to look.

And it smells that way too, but in a very weird way. The ample malts are huge in the aroma, but the hops are clearly present, especially towards the bottom of the bottle. The interplay between the absurd malt, ridiculous hops, and certifialbly dnagerous alcohol creates a weird, almost Bretty funkiness. My girlfriend thought this was infected, and I really sort of see what she means.

The flavor opens up with big, sweet mixed malts and a little residual sugar. Fruity hop and yeast-derived flavors blend in from the beginning to make for a really weird taste profile. The finish is sweet and alcoholic; not at all bitter, but somehow still hoppy.

This is one fucked up beer. I think I like it.

The mouthfeel is thick and rich, very similar to Devil Dancer, but with a lot more booze.

I don't even really want to rate this for drinkability-- it's 21% ABV for christ's sake-- but if I have to, then I guess it's about a 2.5. It's horribly undrinkable for a double IPA, but spectacularly drinkable for a beer that's over 21% alcohol by volume.

Dogfish Head has cemented its place as the weirdest brewery in America and possibly the world. This is actually pretty good-- way better than that godawful Raison d'Extra or the malt-and-everclear apocalypse that is Worldwide Stout.

I really can't believe I like this, but I do.

NOTE: I wish DFH dated their beers; I really think that this one's been sitting for quite a while, because it's nothing like the hot, sickly-sweet mess that other people have described and that I was expecting.

09-02-2007 07:56:07 | More by kajerm
williamherbert

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

[My scores on this beer may be misleading, because while it has a very inviting look and aroma, it's one of the most undrinkable beers I've ever had, in terms of pure enjoyment. It's one of a kind, that's for sure.]

The look is a big and hazy deep, dark orange. Nice half finger of light brown head. Looks like a thick, chunky apple cider. Lots of little carbonation bubbles. Minimal lace.

The smell gives a rich combination of flowery hops and a dark oak scent. Heavy dark berry/grape smell, curiously. Alcoholic presence is almost black licorice. Lots of oak and pine. Really dark and heavy. Slight nuttiness comes through.

OK so the taste. First, there is a major blast of alcohol. Seriously oaky. Massive (though still overshadowed) woody hops. Huge alcoholic onslaught with every sip; it's like gasoline. Seriously. An assault on the taste buds. Though there are tons of hops, I wouldn't consider it "hoppy" because all the hops are overshadowed by the other elements. It's like licking a wooden nightstand. I give it points for strength, power and sheer balls.

The feel is a big, thick, chunky, sandpaper feel. Not at all smooth. The true definition of a beer you have to choke down; I've had Metamucil thinner than this. A slow-sipper, not a chugger. It burns like whiskey on the way down, in the esophagus and stomach.

Drinkable? Seriously? Two in a row? I couldn't have two in a decade. It's just too extreme. (And it got me drunk fast because it's the equivalent of 4-5 "session" beers.) I'm glad I tried it once, but I'm unlikely to try it again.

08-27-2007 23:44:10 | More by williamherbert
Drew966

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

120 Minute IPA pours a light copper color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle that says it was bottled on 3/30/06. Hops and malt are both present in the aroma, as is a bit of fruitiness and some alcohol. The mouthfeel is downright thick. The flavor is very sweet, almost syrupy, followed by alcohol in the end. You can pick up hops and malt in the flavor, but this is not the hop bomb many might imagine. This is a sipper, the alcohol is definitely noticeable. Not something I would drink on a regular basis, but definitely worth a try.

08-26-2007 23:40:37 | More by Drew966
DIPAbrewer

Delaware

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Finally found one of these at a local liquor store. I poured the sweet hoppy brew from a 12oz bottle into a wine glass and was immediately struck by the deep resiny hop aroma. The color was deep amber with an off white head that fell into a ring around the glass and left significant lacing.
Another whiff of the ale rendered even more hoppy aroma with a deep dark almost smoky note from the malt. The hop aroma was complex but pleasant and the strong alcoholic content is revealed in the nose of this formidable heavy hitter.

The first sip overwhelms with hop flavor then fades into a syrupy sweet malt taste. This is a heavy slow sipping drink. The hop flavor is resiny, piney, and vegetal. The malt is super sweet and smoky. The malt seems to outweigh the hop bitterness in my opinion, leaving this ale a little too sweet. Despite this perceived flaw this is still an excellent beer that any IPA lover should try at least once. The drinkability is low given the extreme flavor and alcohol percent. I would recommend sharing a 12 oz serving between two people. After half of this beer my taste buds felt numb and burnt out. In summary, if you love hops try this beer, if not forget it.

08-26-2007 23:19:04 | More by DIPAbrewer
gkatsoris

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Okay, beautiful! Golden honey, freshly harvested honey. BEAUTIFUL!!! The head isn't pure white, but there seems to be a tint of grey and tans w/ delicate little bubbles that take a few minutes to dissipate.

S: Sugary (if this can be considered a smell) and obviously hoppy. Not bitter yucky hoppy, but smooth, pleasant, and hypnotizing hoppy.

T: This is the part I've been waiting for. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!! Sweet, tangy, hoppy, honey, and nutty. These flavors are all blended together perfectly. Honestly, this is the Holy Grail of any beer I've ever had.

M: Smooth. Smooth. Smooth.

D: Other than drink 2 of these and you may need a nap, smooth, sweet, tangy and absolutely delicious!!!!

08-24-2007 01:32:18 | More by gkatsoris
Limberg316

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Fantastic Pour but the head didn't last too long. Deep amber color and just slightly cloudy. Highly aromatic with hints of raisins, and a slight hint of ethanol. It's suprising how easily it is to drink. The taste is complex without aging and almost flowerful. It finishes with a slight taste of ethanol and alittle warmth when swallowed. Overall a great beer!

08-22-2007 03:50:18 | More by Limberg316
ncvbc

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Review #120. How appropriate. Thanks goes to zutmin.

Sort of a ruby orange with a hint of brown thrown in the mix. Great carbonation and a whispy white head.

Looks potent, though I already knew it was because I smelled it long before. This stuff packs a serious punch! Alcohol is quite present but so are many other wonderful scents. Huge hop presence, from pine to citrus. Caramel malts are also there and honey also adds sweetness.

Taste is crazy. It's a thick, potent flavor of enormous hops, the malts providing some backbone to this monster. A little booze is also present but actually plays well because of the resinous character of this beer. It's like drinking some hop juice with a sweet honey glaze.

Never experienced anything like the mouthfeel of this one. It was very warming. Not extremely bitter, though somewhat dry. But, wait...in comes a creamy, buttery like sensation from the alcohol like never before. Damn, this stuff is good!

Considering this is a 21% motherload of a DIPA, it's quite drinkable. I shared my bottle with a friend and we both enjoyed it from the first sip to the last. Not something that I'll be drinking on a daily or even weekly basis. This is one to enjoy on a special occasion and I would also advise you to sip slowly.

08-21-2007 23:40:00 | More by ncvbc
HoustonTX

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

"The" Imperial India Pale Ale.

Damn, that's one sexy hop picture on the label. Wonder if it's scratch and sniff... hmm, no go. Says on the label the holy grail for hop heads, lets hope so.

Visually, this beer is absolutely amazing. What a great pour! Very dense viscosity with color swirls melding together. Body ends up a very hazy orangish-brown. Head is solid.

The aroma is very fresh smelling. Ripe fruit, aged oak, and caramel malt. A strong booziness amongst a deep layer of citric hops.

Taste is otherworldly. Enough hops to actually sting your tongue into remission. I love it! Upfront DFH 120, has a strong barleywine flavor tone. Some pleasant sweetness, that is not overwhelming and acts as the backbone for the immense hops to come. The sweetness does linger, and really only finally balances out near the end of the sip. The dry-hopping has produced some extremely nice flavor tones about midway through the sip. A deep herbacous floral mixture with sassafrase, oak, and light tobacco. The alcoholic burn/sting is relentless and does not give up.

An amazing feat of a beer. Truly unique, and definitely a beer, that not everyone can handle.

*Side notes* Hop burp after 2 sips, and it was one hell of a hop burp.
This beer is worth buying just for the hop burps alone, god they just keep coming.
I am already starting to feel a buzz after drinking maybe only 1/8th of the 12ozer. That is 21% for ya...

08-21-2007 23:11:16 | More by HoustonTX
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

Appearance - Orange-rust color with huge, white head.

Smell - Spicy with hints of pepper.

Taste - Very bitter, but in a good way. Resinous with sweet taste as well.

Mouthfeel - Medium-heavy body with medium carbonation.

Drinkability - Not a bad beer but nothing I could drink on a regular basis. The alcohol wasn't overpowering which is good.

08-21-2007 02:37:30 | More by Beerbuddha
robrobrob

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

When I finished up the DFH brewery tour I was ecstatic to be informed by our guide that they would be pouring the 120 Minute for samples. I have a few 12 oz. bottles of the stuff, but I have been reluctant to open them without cellaring for a while. The beer was a dark, tawny orange with a frothy tan head that subsided kind of quickly and smelled of amber and pale malts with a layered hop character. The taste was arresting and beautiful. Caramel-y and hoppy, this is the way a Double IPA should be. It wasn't a brutal and bitter hop slap in the face the way you'd expect something boiled with hops for 2 hours and then dry-hopped for a month to be, the malts came through excellently; it was amazingly well-balanced from the hops and malts to the different varieties of hops in there. Mouthfeel also was exceptional, it was thick and chewy, coating the mouth and smooth going down despite the alcohol content. I could drink so much of this despite how strong it is, it's just... wow

08-20-2007 17:22:12 | More by robrobrob
tai4ji2x

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

perhaps i should not have tried this before their 90-min DIPA, cuz now i'm probably spoiled...

slightly cloudy, deep amber. head is not long-lasting, but very creamy. not very lacy though

aroma is extremely fruity with some citrus notes.

not too viscous, but definitely substantial. the sweetness was a huge surprise. a bit off-putting at first, but soon i was kinda hooked. this is not as bitter as you'd expect from a DIPA, the hops are much more floral. probably all the extensive dry-hopping involved?

i guess i'll be aging a couple of these to see if they're even better in a year or so. that is - if i can't avoid the temptation to just go ahead and open them ;)

all that being said, this is probably just a bit too sweet (even with the dry finish), especially for the style.

08-18-2007 22:32:21 | More by tai4ji2x
nickfl

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

A - Deep ruby red with a huge off white head that sticks around remarkably for such a strong beer.

S - Spicy, peppery hop aroma. A lot of corriander, pepper, chili, and smokey herbal notes. This kind of smells like an indian grocery store (I mean that in a good way).

T - Odd sharp bitterness is very powerfull. Sweet, malty, and a bit sour. It has distinct alcoholic warmth in the finish.

M - Thick and syrupy with moderate carbonation. I little bit of astringency in the back of the mouth.

D - It is always hard to give a drinkability rateing to a beer this unreasonably strong, but overall this is a solid beer. Many "extreme" beers are almost undrinkable in my opinion but this goes down relatively easy, the only fault is the mouthfeel which is syrupy and a bit unpleasant. The high alcohol is kept in check by other flavors and the smell is quite extraordinary. I have to say this is one of the best truely extreme beers that I have had, from Dogfish Head or anyone else.

08-14-2007 00:55:59 | More by nickfl
numenor1

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Full amber with quickly diminishing head. Noticeably thick with hop resin. Smells a little like soy sauce and lemon. Comes across peppery with a dull bitterness upfront before spreading out into soy, heavy caramel, earthy and green hop resinous hops. Turns a little nutty and tartly acidic on the backside ending in very spicy alcohol. Remarkably tame for 21% abv though. Body is immensely viscous, though surprisingly not nearly to the level i expected. Carbonation is low but appropriate. Drinkability is what it is, but very good for 21%, and this is not at all cloying as i'd feared it would be.

Definitely an extreme beer, but a balanced one.

08-13-2007 01:13:16 | More by numenor1