120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
abfraser

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

Bought this bottle in early 2007. Not sure how old it is but has a little bit of age on it.

A: Dark copper, burnt orange with a smallish white head.

S: Caramel overload. Huge nose of brown sugar and caramel. Really don't get much more than that.

T/M: There's the brown sugar and caramel again. Bitterness from the hops there to help balance out the sugary sweetness, but there's no hop lingering (which is a good thing in my book). For as over the top hoppy this is supposed to be, I'm a little surprised its not more dominant. Full bodied.

D: A sipper, big time.

Overall, very interesting beer. A little overboard on the sugary sweetness scale, which knocks it down a notch. But I'd enjoy one of these every once in awhile

11-24-2008 02:46:30 | More by abfraser
bigkahunas4

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into my snifter

Poured a headless amber honey, with peach accents. Though lacking any big head, there are some suddy sides, with minimal lacing. The aroma from the 120 minute though, started billowing out of the bottle as I opened it. This is one of the strongest smellers I have ever witnessed. Aromatics range from potent, sweet alcohol, apple, raisin, and pine.

Man is the taste complex. The brew is extremely full bodied with a slight viscosity. Flavors run from sweet fruit notes like white grapes, to honey, to an extremely warming alcohol finish. So slight grapefruit hopiness emerges at the the finish. I really enjoy the flavor of this guy despite the big ABV.

I really loved this, however, after about 6 ounces I was satisfied, as she really is a doozey in terms of ABV and flavors.

11-23-2008 15:29:19 | More by bigkahunas4
MeanGene

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Had to try this beer after a friend of mine ordered a case of it through his father's beer distributor.

Poured an orangish color with a fairly small head...smelled fruity...maybe raspberries? The taste was out of this world considering the 18-22% or so ABV. The mouthfeel was unlike anything I had ever experienced... upon taking a sip, you could feel the effervescence in your mouth and up into your sinuses. Sort of like a soda but very, very different.

Very expensive beer (12 bones/bottle) but definitely one you have to try! Just make sure you stop at 1!

11-22-2008 18:12:13 | More by MeanGene
chefdejour

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks Capones!

5oz. snifter from draft

A: hazy amber with a slight head - don't recall any lacing

S: crazy caramel bananas foster thing going on here. layers of sweet malts and esters, but not much in the way of hops

T: caramel, creme brulee, sugar, candy, just keeps going - this stuff is sweet - and the alc is obvious, but not overpowering.

M: thick and syrupy with a hint of carb.

D: amazing to taste - it's the port of the beer world. If you approach it like you would a port, it's very drinkable, but it's not to swill during the Giants game.

So the mystery question to all fellow brewers - how the heck do they get it down to 1.020 and maintain that sweetness?

11-21-2008 16:22:28 | More by chefdejour
OlieIPA

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to PatronWizard for this gem!!!

A: An orange and hazy appearance that seems to illumintate even further as I hold it closer to my lamp. Poured thin with a nice fuzzy one-finger head. Carbonation is visible as well.

S: I absolutely love the smell!! A strong grapfruit characteristic upfront followed by a dty-piney hop aroma. Incredibly unique and appealing.

T: The alcohol is quite noticeable as expected. Not overwhelming and hidden well, but about what I had anticipated for a 21% ABV. As for the flavor, I picked up a acidic and piney hop flavor with hints of citrus. A carbonated wine taste would be the best way to describe this unique flavor.

M: Clingy and creamy; sticks to the tongue like Velcro. Light to medium body with a decent amount of carbonation.

D: This is definitely a sipper, so I would have to say its a beer that better be enjoyed with food.

Overall: Unique, unique, and unique. I think I got my point across. I was actually a lot more impressed with this beer then I thought I would be, but to be honest, the taste is more unique than good. Not bad at all in the flavor category, but something I won't be dying to get again. Worth a try, but make sure you enjoy a bottle with another person...I made the mistake of drinking this one all to myself. Good job Dogfish Head...you pulled this one off quite well. Cheers!

11-21-2008 06:52:15 | More by OlieIPA
inhoc00

4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

Can't believe I have reviewed this beer yet. This was the beer that got me into craft beer. This stuff is pretty easy to find, but I remember a few years ago when this was THE FIND. anyways..

A- Pours golden to slightly amber with very little head.

S- Sweet sugar, apricots and subtle citrus hops.

T- This is not an upfront hoppy beer. Its actually very sweet. Very tasty, complex sweetness followed by very tasty, tolerable hops bitterness that stays subtle. Very well done.

M- Very thick, creamy almost syruppy.

D- This is one of the biggest beers, yet it really goes down so easily. This is my favorite beer to share with people who have never tried it. I say, trust me, you won't expect this stuff. The problem is I'm never gonna age this stuff if I keep popping them. So expensive!

11-19-2008 02:40:23 | More by inhoc00
PhxHorn

Arizona

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

The color is a deep rich yellow, quarter inch of white head. Smells of citrus and citrus and citrus. Taste is over the top, so much citrus it's like having a glass of orange juice. I mean, Goddamn, I love an intense IIPA but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Halfway through the glass I was getting tired of the stuff. Carbonation is intense but in the ballpark, and the outrageous alcohol content is impressively well-hidden. But the fruit-juice flavor makes it hard to drink.

11-16-2008 06:39:19 | More by PhxHorn
gdfan47

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%

wow i had this on draft last night at Capones

pours a pretty copperish color, a good amount of head

i really like hops, i just had kinda a hard time tasting it over the alcohol

very good beer but unlike other imperial/ double ipa's i could def smell and taste the alcohol

if you can get it check it out, but the price and the crazy high abv really make it hard for me to drink this beer

11-15-2008 01:50:27 | More by gdfan47
david131

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottled on April 17, 2008

A- I am absolutely blown away with the head retention of this 21% ABV monster. A nice, creamy white head floats atop the luminescent orange liquid. Looks very appealing.

S- Very sweet smelling with candy, a little funky, a slight hint of vegetable and plastic. The alcohol is not nearly as strong as I would have expected. It is also not a nostril burning hop bomb like I would have expected either. Very complex and sweet.

T- Very sweet and complex and unlike anything I have ever had before. The alcohol is warming, but not overly harsh... or I guess not nearly as harsh as you would think it would be for 21% ABV. Kind of a boozy candy beer.

M- Dry, bitter, and warming. That being said, it's awesome. It is also very creamy.

D- For the ABV, this is obviously a sipper. But is so unique and tasty, you have to appreciate the work that went into this. It is a tasty treat and I am anxious to see how one of these ages.

11-15-2008 01:50:00 | More by david131
Voonder

Alberta (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to jwc215 for this one.
Pours dark amber orange colour with almoust no head. Smell - hops, grapefruit with floral notes. It's also pretty sweet,. Quite nice, and thre is not too much alcohol to smell. Taste is very sweet but it kinda levels up with citrusy and hoppy notes. Alcohol is noticable, but it's warming and not offensive.
Mouthfeel - thick, very heavy, but smooth and silky. For 21% ABV it's drinkable. I would go for more than 1 at the time, but I would definately have it again.
It's very unique brew, very balanced, warming and complex with very nice citrus notes. Alcohol is very well hidden there for 21% and it is not dry at all. Very nice.

11-14-2008 04:52:07 | More by Voonder
Kadonny

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from tap into a miniature snifter glass at Capones in Norristown. What a treat.

A: A medium amber orange color with a slight layer of tight laced head. Tight small glass lacing.

S: Wow, lots of sugar sweetness with layers of bubble gum, hard candy and citrus pine hops. Second sniff produces a large amount of bubble gum sweetness, almost like a blow pop. Alcohol is noticable on the nose.

T: Syrupy sweetness with flavors of a sugar cube, candy, bubbble gum, sweet fruits, caramel and a real citrus pine bitter hop bite. The finish comes back to the sugar sweetness and finally ends with hops lingering in the mouth minutes later.

M: Heavy and coating with a fairly heavy alcohol feel when the beer warms up. Sticky sweetness with bitterness lingers in the entire mouth.

D: Medium for this alcohol level. The beer does go down fairly smoothly but with a big alcohol bite. One can only drink a minimum amount of this beer.

Overall a real unique beer that everyone should be lucky enough to try. It really is a testament to DFH that they actually make this beer, it is groundbreaking.

11-13-2008 22:06:19 | More by Kadonny
BexarBrewing

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Warmed the mouth and throat going down. Nice color and consistency. Tasted creamy with a bit of orange. Hoppy, but not as much as I expected from an IPA. I could definitely tell it had a high alchohol % but not overpowering.

Took about an hour to drink and was a very enjoyable sipper. Warming as it sat didn't take away from it at all.

At $8.99 for a 12 oz. bottle it was worth trying once.

11-09-2008 23:04:29 | More by BexarBrewing
Padron4KM

Arizona

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

2008 vintage. 12 oz bottle.
Pours cloudy orange with a nice two finger, slow to disapate, creamy tan head.

Aroma is ruby red grapefruit crushed with lots of pure cane sugar. It literaly smells like you took a 5 lb bag of grapefruit, placed it on a 20 lb bag of sugar and stomped the hell out of it. One whif and you can tell this beer is well rounded.

Flavor starts out a bit sweet, almost sugary, but is tempered by the caramel, and the well defined grapefruity hops.

Slick, begining mouthfeel almost detects high abv, but by the way it goes down you would never know. more please

11-09-2008 09:03:45 | More by Padron4KM
mnstorm99

2.48/5  rDev -39.4%

Alright, before I get flamed here. I appreciate this beer, but all I could think of (while drinking it) was cloying, sloppy mess. I expected it to be sweet (20%+ ABV will do that), but there is way too much sweet malts used in this one.
Nice cloudy orange copper pour, but it lacks the head that would be expected in an IPA.
Aroma is all malt, very non-IPA like, and very sweet malt at that.
Taste is similar, although I do get some of the hops mainly spicy and floral hop notes. But the hops are way overpowered by sweet carmel and honey malt.
Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, coats well, but this is a 20%+ beer, and it should feel good going down.
Drinkability, I finished the beer, it took me a couple of hours which didn't change much with the temperature change. But I would never buy another bottle for the price. I did finally get to try this beer.
I probably would have appreciated this beer more, if I got any hop character out of it.

11-06-2008 14:11:01 | More by mnstorm99
marcpal

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Week long vacation starting today, start off tonight finishing up some work with style by breaking out one of these.

Never sat down with one at home to review.

12oz bottle poured into oversized DFH snifter.
Bottle graphics: Classy, B+

A: The beer looks innocent on the pour. Pale orange color with a thin head that faded fast.

S: Ultra sweet smell, nothing remotely close to any form of IPA. Smells like a true barleywine or flat out wine. A slap in the face of sweet flavors. Somehow the hops make themselves known so you know for a fact there are a ton in there. Alcohol detectable? Oh yes, the alcohol is more than noticeable. Warms the throat just from the aroma.

T: Bold, sweet, bracingly intense. No more hops really but somehow, some way you just feel that they are there in the flavor. Something nutty coming through that combines with the hard alcohol flavors. Just like Ive had when on tap and from younger bottles, the hops finally start to be detected and its just mindblowing intense in a variety of ways.

M: The heat of this bad boy sets the tonsils on fire. Carbonation doesnt even bother trying. As thick as some grade B maple syrup straight from the trees of Vermont in the fall.

D: I like this one with a little more age but I can say Ive also enjoyed a 6oz pour from tap even more at a fresher date. At 21%, it is shockingly 'drinkable'. You will not have more than one in a sitting but after a few other low hitters, this one comes in a bats cleanup like Bonds on his Balco regimens.

An experience.

11-06-2008 02:54:59 | More by marcpal
SouthAtholSuds

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Hops, hops and too much hops? Probably, but somehow Dogfish Head has found a way to balance this off-centered brew. Pours a dark amber color with a head that never seems to completely dissipate. The smell of this beer is extremely pungent and floral. Beyond huge hop taste with an incredibly sweet and sugary malt character. The mouth feel varies from person to person but if you enjoy an all out assault on your taste buds you have to try this beer at least once. This is the Holy Grail of huge Ipa's.

11-06-2008 01:05:18 | More by SouthAtholSuds
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

2006 Vintage My Celebration brew on Nov 4th, Yes We Can...drink beer. Poured a burnt orange color with a nice rocky white head. Absolutely beautiful brew! Nose was strong bit of hops and alcohol. Some dried fruits on the nose with some citrus, apricot and malts. The beer over 2 years had really balanced itself on the taste. Hops had subsided. Previously I thought the brew was way off balanced, to hopped up and too hot to finish. Now it was great. Another two years and it would be perfect. Taste was warming, sweet, hopped, well hopped, the citrus feel in the middle. Mouthfeel was good and warm. Drinkability gets better with age. Much better. Another two years and I would give it a 5. I need another..somebody beermail me. I give it a A-

2008 Poured a nice orange color with a small white head, little carbonation. Nose was a blast of alcohol, citrus notes, and maybe some wood and caramel malt. Taste was just obnoxious. ABV was to much, all I tasted minus the small notes of malts and slight citrus with no hop bitterness(ABV probably killed that too). Not balanced noMouthfeel was bad, could not stand to really swish it around. Going down it was not smooth. ABV is up there and the taste was just..not good.Not for me! C-

11-05-2008 06:29:40 | More by barleywinefiend
jdhilt

New Hampshire

It has been a while since I have found a five but this is it. Pours with a three-finger, bubbly cream head that fades slowly and leaves a nice lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation. Nose is sweet, gingery, malty. Starts with a perfect mix of malt and hops and finishes smooth and sweet NOT a session beer . . . savor this beer . . . their site has this at 20% ABV. Medium bodied. This is the best IPA brewed in the States. Worth $7.99 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, Me

11-04-2008 23:59:12 | More by jdhilt
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

First I would like to say I looked for this beer for close to 2 years and a friend of mine moved to the n/w so he brought me a couple back.

This is a VERY strong beer, almost too much for my taste buds. I enjoyed it but after one 12. oz bottle I was a little tipsy

A- Cloudy Amber color not too much head, faded quikly
S- Sweet, hoppy
T-Very Sweet, and hoppy
M- Thick
D-NOT an everyday drinker

11-04-2008 14:56:18 | More by mugglesandhops
ncbeermonger

Got a pint of this, at a great little Bar in YorkTowne VA right on the water, can't beat it!

The beer is a dark cloudy golden

The smell is almost hoppy over power! what ever that means, but you will understand when you smell it

The taste is good, but the alchohal is almost too much!

The mouthfeel is good especially for this high of an APV

the mouthfeel is a little heavy,

its very drinkable to be 20+%

NC Beer monger loves this beer, too bad we can't get it in NC!

11-04-2008 08:19:40 | More by ncbeermonger
josiahschlender

Oregon

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

My wife gave me a bottle of this for Christmas last year. (I love my wife!) I let it age over ten months, then had a friend over that I knew would appreciate it, so the time was right crack it open and share.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass. Nice, rich golden/bronze in color. Very hazy with light colored flecks suspended. A little bit of a head that reduces to an oily film. Not really much lacing, it's more like syrupy "feet" that wine leaves.

Wow, intense smells. I cracked open the bottle and a few seconds later my friend leaned over, "is that the beer I smell?" I love brews that can be smelled from a few feet away. Intensely sweet citrus... orange and pineapple in syrup. Maybe a bit of pine resin, but the hops are mostly sweet, nectar citrus. Also rich alcohol nose. I haven't had much hard alcohol, but maybe a brandy or cognac aroma there?

Flavors are extremely concentrated and complex. Definitely sweeter than I expected. Lots of hops still (despite being 10+ months old), in the order of sugary, nectar-like citrus. Alcohol is noticeable, but much less than I expected for this big of a beer. For being such an "extreme" beer, it seems to me to be something very dignified and calm. The hops don't rip your tongue off, the sugars don't over sweeten, and the alcohol isn't boozy. Somehow, they mingle and compliment each other very well. Not much that I can discern of the malt profile besides residual sweetness. Nor bittering... lots of aromatic dry hopping, but they didn't add much of the bittering type of hops.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily. It thankfully escapes being hot from the ABV, which I was thinking it probably would be. Maybe slightly thinner in body than I expected, but maybe that's because I was taking small sips.

I'm glad I drank this as a dessert beer after dinner. It went great with coconut macaroons! Give this beer a lot of time to drink, it takes some patience to enjoy, but this one truly exceeded my expectations. Very drinkable in the sense of tastiness and enjoyment, but price, availability, and sessionability factor into my drinkability score, none of which are positives in this case.

Nevertheless, I heartily recommend sharing this beer after a good dinner at least once. It is expertly crafted by the artists at DFH. Thanks for the opportunity! I hope to get my hands on some World Wide Stout in the future, after this.

11-03-2008 06:37:39 | More by josiahschlender
prsguitarsr4me

4.88/5  rDev +19.3%

This. Beer. Has. Balls. 21% is no joke. Pours nice darkish amber w/ not a big head, but it lasts. Smells fantastic - really refreshing and extremely fruity and sweet. Taste is similar - kind of took me by surprise. Its thick and syrupy and really carbonated, all of which are a nice blend with the high alcohol volume. High alcohol makes this a very slow drinker, but each sip is so fulfilling that it works out nicely. Highly recommended - I'll be getting more of this to age for a few years.

10-30-2008 05:04:25 | More by prsguitarsr4me
tadowdaddy

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Not the best looking DIPA I've seen. Looked like a weaker, thicker version of some of the better DIPA's. An amber look to this beer with just a little bit of head and decent lacing.

S: INTENSE. I smell the alcohol right up front followed by a ton of hops . The alcohol definitely overwhelms the hops, but don't doubt that you'll smell the hops. Probably more hoppy than any beer I've ever smelled.

T: Honeslty, I tasted something that tasted like a shot of vodka in a barrel of hops. Very full bodied beer that also had a bit of a fruity pineapple taste. By the time I got to the end of it and it was a bit warmer, the tastes of grapefruit or some sort of dry fruit came out big time.

M: Syrupy! Left nice oils in your mouth. I couldn't get the hops taste out of my mouth for hours after I drank this beer. The oils and my love for hops gave this one a higher rating than most would give it.

D: Beer took me 3 hours to drink.. maybe a bit longer. I had to sip it like I was sipping a glass of scotch. Couldn't ever drink more than one of these at a time.. ever. Highly recommend it, and I have one put away to try again in a year or two to try and see the difference. Recommend that everyone try this one at least once.

10-29-2008 02:48:33 | More by tadowdaddy
Likeburning

Tennessee

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

"What just happened?" I asked out loud as I took my first sip of this concoction and coughed. The aroma smells as if I'm homebrewing in my kitchen, but a full night of brewing was crammed into one bottle. I think I may have just smacked my mama. I have never had anything like this before. Not for the faint of heart or palate. If you don't like hops, stay the hell away fron anyone even drinking this, but if you're a big IPA fan, and I mean a fan of big IPAs not a big fan, take the plunge. You'll never forget it. Drinkability, however is a little down because I think I may have trouble getting through this one beer.

10-24-2008 00:21:16 | More by Likeburning
JeffV

3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

If you don't like to push your limits step away from this beer.

As soon as you open the bottle your house will wreak of hops. Seriously.

This beer is harsh in the mouth as the 21% ABV is very noticeable. However, if you are a hop head (and there is one in all of us) it is still a pleasurable experience.

I wouldn't pair this beer with food, or drink more than one serving of it but it is a great beer to experience. (If I were going to pair it with food I'd opt for the 60 minute IPA cousin)

I literally can't imagine a more hoppy beer. Fun to drink.

10-23-2008 17:47:38 | More by JeffV