120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I have had a bottle of this sitting in my fridge since I picked up a few bottles of this in Arizona in September of last year. I also have 2 bottles sitting in my cellar. Finally decided to crack it open tonight. A 12 oz poured into my tulip glass. Pours a very cloudy and hazy orange/golden color. White head is about 1/2 inch when poured, settles to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass with a thin surface coating about 10 minutes after being poured. I can definetly see some yeast bits in here too. Very nice lacing. The aroma of alcohol along with a nice strong citrus aroma and also a piney, floral tart smell. Has a sweet, caramel malt, Belgian candy sugar sweetness upfront, followed by the citrus fruit tart flavor, rounded with with some floral hops. The piney, floral hop flavor is here too, but not that strong. Certainly less hoppy here than when I had it on-tap in Boston last year. The flavor of alcohol also seems to me a bit more apparent this time than when I had it on-tap last year. Has a full bodied, syrupy, chewy, thick, crisp mouthefeel with moderate carbonation. Certainly easier to drink than I would have thought, especially as it warms up a bit. I can't wait to see what a few years will do to the bottles of this that I am aging.

Eric

neenerzig, Jul 20, 2009

Presentation: 12oz poured into a snifter

The holy grail for hopheads lets see how it faired in my glass.

Appearance: Glowing bright orange. Pours with a surprising head for the ABV as well as a soapy lacing. However as the beer warms up this dies almost altogether even upon agitation.

Smell: A musty hard alcohol smell is the first that hits you which is surrounded by citrus fruit and pineapple. A little bit of a biscuity malt in the scent.

Taste: Strong and intense pineapple taste and sweetness, followed by a biscuity finish. Surprisingly well hidden ABV for 18%. Alcohol warmth is more pronounced as the beer warms up. Being this strong of an ipa and with this alcohol content it does have a huge hop & alcohol bite bite but its pretty masked by the pineapple/citrus finish. This beer is very complex, the barley wine of IPAS.

Mouthfeel: bitterness followed by sweetness with a huge alcoholic warmth. There is a firm carbonation. This beer does bit your tongue and is an intense experience with a full body.

Drinkability: I give this beer a 5 due to the simple fact that it is fairly easy to drink for how high of a ABV. This not a beer to have often its a special experience. Its also 7-8$ a bottle. I feel anyone who is interested in strong beers and imperial IPAS should have this at-least once in their life. Anyone who doesn't like strong beers need not apply. I spent two hours sipping this beer and as it warms up it changes a lot. I'd give it a go again, I'm kinda craving it right now just because I feel i Diddn't get all the flavors down in my tasting.

I gave this beer an A because due to its high level of craft and the fact that Dogfish was able to pull it off. Just because its an A don't run out and buy it thinking it will be excellent. This is an experience not a session.

MaxBrews, Jul 19, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +10%

This beer pours a clear red-orange color. The head is a half an inch in height, and recedes slowly into a quarter inch of lacing. Due to the extremely high alcohol content I was expecting the head to be minimal at best, and am very pleasantly surprised. The aroma is very hoppy with lots of pine and citrus. There is a lot of malt too, but it is soft and easily takes a back seat to the hops. The alcohol is present in the terms of adding a slight cough syrup note. It is, however, a lot more subdued than I expected, and I like that. The taste has a bite...wow. There is more malt here with an almost mead like honey character. The citrus, and pine from the aroma are present, but the malt masks the bitterness which I'm sure is in there somewhere. The mouthfeel is full bodied with appropriately low carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is a very interesting beer, and huge kudos go out to DFH for dreaming it up. I certainly couldn't drink this every day, or even every month. But I'm could picture myself sipping this down two or three times a year, and thoroughly enjoying it.

KarlHungus, Jul 18, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top bottle with cool label...I bought two, one to drink now, one I'm gonna age for 5-7 years

Appearance: Nice dark gold brew with decent and surprising (for the abv) dense ivory cap

Smell: Coffee malt, HUGE sweet fruity orange and fruit liqueur notes

Taste: Uber sweet...bright orange liqueur notes...thick pine sap...this is a woodsy hop liqueur basically...quite nice

Mouthfeel: THICK, sweet, and heavy

Drinkability: 1 12oz bottle is good for 2 people

Conclusion: GOOD to try this a coupla of times for the experience...this would be great for an aperitif or digestif...milder than I thought it'd be, quite honestly...had at near room temperature

BedetheVenerable, Jul 17, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

I've had this beer several times now both on tap and from bottles.

This is craft beer at it's most extreme. I've never had two bottles taste the same - which I happen to enjoy as it just tells me the beer is made with real ingredients.

The beer has an agressive aroma - you can get a whiff of it long before you pour it. It's a heady aroma of hops and you can smell the alcohol. This is a beer that needs age.

Some bottlings were much more out of balance than others. There is a definite alcohol burn which should mellow over time.

I like a more balanced offering, but this is a well-crafted beer of high quality and I wish I had the ability to keep it for a couple years before imbibing. Alas, nothing in the house ever lasts that long.

DawnL, Jul 15, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

poured into a perfect pint

this thing is crazy. pours a bronze color with a fluffy head. fades pretty quick.

smells like warm floral hops. has some citrus, pine, and some spice. Taste is alot better then i expected. I thought this was going to be like eating straight hops. it was actually more floral sweet then hoppy bitter. you can taste the alcohol in the after taste. It is an amazing beer. I'd rather drink one of these then a six pack of something else, and its just as alcoholic! full bodied beer. wish i can get them a bit cheaper.

Anthony1, Jul 14, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

A - Pours a very light copper. A little cloudy which is to expected with a hop monster like this. There was a bit of a white head but it quickly went down to lace ring.

S - Huge hop smell. Spicy lemons and other citrus fruits. Some flower like notes also.

T - Christ almighty its hop candy. The sweetness slaps you in the face. There is still plenty of hop character there. Piney hop presence but mostly the sweetness overwhelms. Not horrible but if I did not know better I would think its some super sweet malt liqour or something. With everything else going on I don't really get much bitterness out of it. Strange.

M - The mouthfeel is pretty silky. leaves mouth puckering piney resin on your tongue after every sip.

D - Like I said not horrible but it will be a chore to even get through this 12 oz bottle. If you do buy one leave it in a closet for like years. It might mature into something else. Then again maybe not. A unique brew for sure but don't know if I will ever get another one. 90 minute and 60 minutes are pretty good drinkable IPAs. This is something else entirely. Enter at your own risk.

TheBeerWolf, Jul 14, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

$10!! a bottle at a local bev center..But I had to try this at least once.

Pours a cloudy gold/orange with a slight fine head that faded to a ring soon after.

Smelled somewhat lemony with a hint of banana?

Taste was pretty wild with the lemon zing, malty sweetness and prominent alcohol along with the dry finish. The sweetness of this beer drops the drinkability score.

A unique velvety mouthfeel from this full bodied brew...Not overly carbonated.

Not a beer to be taken lightly..This is a sipper for sure. I'm not sure I'd really have this again even if it were less expensive. The 90min is the way to go for me.

BrewMaven, Jul 14, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a ruby color with a light tan head that falls very slowly. Head does stay and leaves a nice sticky lace.

Obvious hop aroma yet also syrupy sweet.

Amazingly sweet taste with a big bold hop flavor. Not sure how they got those two conflicting tastes to be so bold and go together so well but they did it. Both are fighting for the prominent taste. Follows by a huge alcohol flavor, very warming. Sweet but somehow dry finish, maybe because of the alcohol.

Very full and smooth in the mouth with an alcohol bite on the tongue.

Interesting brew, sip slow and enjoy. Could not drink more than one and not too often.

dstc, Jul 10, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle at Union Jack Pub and Restaurant (Winchester, VA):

Appeared a very nice rich copper/amber color with a huge white head that had good retention that was reduced into a thin cap.

The aroma, WOW, no real hops to mention, smelled more like a wheat wine, sweet, rich, fruity. I think that the alcohol was hidden very well.

The taste is excellent but if you are a hop head, stay away. The taste is much like the aroma, malted barley sweet with no hops to mention, with some fruit hints and again more like a wheat wine than a DIPA. I don't really recall much alcohol at the beginning of the beer, but much more so as the beer warmed up. Going into this beer, I was aware of the style, so I gave it a lower mark than if I had not since I was trying to compare it to other DIPA's.

Heavy/Thick body, rich and it took me about 90 minutes to finish, very much a sippin' beer.

PhillyStyle, Jul 09, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Deep redish color, absolutely gorgeous to look at.
S: Smells more like a barley wine than a beer. And before drinking it's rather apparent how much alcohol is in this drink just by smell alone.
T: Wow, very very strong taste. Both the alcohol as well as the hops kick you in the face right away. After that, very sweet aftertaste that I can describe as fantastic. Still, the initial taste is off-putting to say the least.
M: No complaints, nothing special.
D: Given how alcoholic it is, it drinks surprisingly well. Unfortunately given the price you can't drink often.

Jisho, Jul 09, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -37.7%

appearance-thick rich orange amber

smell-vinegar is dominant, with sweetness highly present also. alcohol comes in too, with a hint of masked hops

taste-sweetness paired with vinegary-taste hits hard, with ethanol coming in. i am wondering where the hops are? some fruity caramel aftertastes, which just add to the overly sugary taste that lingers for ages. the sweetness lasts on my lips as long.

mouthfeel is very nice, i enjoyed it a lot. thick and velvety.

I am having a hard time splitting a 12 oz. drinkability poor.

aesopsgato, Jul 08, 2009

Payed $9 for a 12 oz bottle, and I set it away for an occasion. I recommend splitting this beast of an ipa with friends, as it might be a little too much to take down by your lonesome.

A: Nice rustic golden color
S: Smells more like an imperial barley wine than an IPA
T: Holy liquor
M: Rather viscuous
D: Maybe too intense for a 12 oz bottle, all I need is 6oz

Enjoy

notCreative, Jul 08, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Got this in a trade with Soulfly967 in Pennsylvania. Aroma is strong, hoppy, and surprisingly fruity - the orange and hop aromas battle for dominance, so one whiff is hoppy while the next is of orange. It pours a hazy orange-amber with a fairly thick and rather persistent white head. Flavor is richly orange and a little sweet with a firm hoppy but only slightly bitter hop undertone. This is quite unlike any IPA I have ever had - well worth the effort of setting up a trade! Texture is rich and silky smooth, yet fairly tingly and lively.

Cyberkedi, Jul 07, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle was dated 11/6/08.

Pours into a goblet a golden orange with small head that is quickly gone. Minimal lacing.

Smells like a marker to me. Boozy, rubbing alcohol, bit of hops. The empty bottle smells like one gigantic hop.

Sweet, caramelly, warm alcohol. Complex malt and hops. Winelike complexity to this beer.

Feels like honey on the pallate. Outstanding carbonation feel on the tongue. Velvety smooth and full bodied. Warming sensation all the way down.

Definitely a sipper with this kind of ABV. I didn't think it was 21%. I guessed 15% when drinking it. I would like to age a bottle or two of this. Have to try this once in your life.

jera1350, Jul 05, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A- cloudy copper-gold. white bubbly head that dissipates instantaneously and leaves not a trace.

S- hops, sugary sweet fruit and alcohol.

T- Taste is dominated by sugar sweetness mixed with alcohol. There is no more than a hint of hops. the flavor is pretty good, although too sweet. it is truly difficult to describe the flavor other than sweetness. some fruit in the aftertaste (perhaps peach or apricot?). Lots of alcolhol of course.

M- The best part of the beer. thick, and well carbonated. the flavors linger and continue to develop long after the swallow. amazing.

D- for what you would expect from 20% abv, this beer is highly drinkable. despite it being a little too sweet (which inhibits drinkability for me more than the alcohol) the only thing(s) that would hold me back from drinking multiple units would be the price and how hammered i would be after two or three.

all around, a good. beats the hell out of 90 minute and 60 minute.

jdklks, Jul 03, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

This is one of the craziest brews I have had so far. I had such high expectations for a beer that I thought I was going to have, then after the first sip those expectations were blown out.

The appearance is a good orange amber color. With a strong pour I could barely pull off a one finger head. The bottle is absolutely beautiful, and the yield sign on the cap is there for a reason. When moved around the glass the alcohol just left a residue of pure silk.

The smell was just out of this world. It smells like fresh grinded hops with sugar. I could not smell the alcohol, but rather a booziness to the whole feeling. When swirled in a wine glass the aroma rushes in and takes control. Amazing.

The taste was nothing of what I was expecting. It has a taste of sugar, and alcohol, and light candy taste. The alcohol taste is not hidden, but rather accompanied by the sugar, and it just makes for an unique experience. Maybe a little too much sugar for my palate.

The mouthfeel was nuts. You could take a sip, then wouldn't have to take another because the flavor of the brew stays and evolves on the palate. Imagine getting a deep tissue massage on your tongue, that is what its like.

The drinkability is not the greatest for some obvious reasons. There is an alcoholic boozy aspect that changes the name of the game. This is technically like drinking four or five brews, in the same time it takes you to drink one. It is a little too sugary and a hop characteristic is not as prevalent as I was hoping. I would for sure buy another, but getting this one was like pulling teeth off a tiger. Amazing brew from an amazing brewery.

J

Jmoore50, Jul 03, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle I am rerating this one. It is one of my favorite beers. Pours a hazy copper orange with a deminishing light tan head. The lacing is great. The aroma is great pine, alcohol, caramel, and earthy. Has a great carbonation. Mouthfeel is excellent. The alcohol burn is very mild considering the %. Has good flavor. Not too bitter but well hopped. The balance is great. Has a resinlike texture. The finish is awesome with a perfect aftertaste. This beer is still the mecca.

Birdiebeagle, Jul 01, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Classic IPA appearance - nice rentention.

Smell: Elmer's Glue, Hops

Taste: Sweet, hops, pineapple tons of malt.

Mouthfeel: drinks like a port of cabernet sauvignon - very tannic soft mouthfeel. over the top.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Out of this world! I highly recommend!

LauraAlberts, Jun 28, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

Thanks to ThePeskyDingo for sharing this one with me.

Poured into Sierra Nevada Glass.

Pours a 1/2 finger, very slightly off white head. Color is slightly hazy golden sunset orange. Not to well of head retention, but what can a person expect at 18%abv.

Aroma: I get nail polish remover off the top. Very slight booze. Some citrus. A lot of earthy hops. Kind of weird, but what else are you going to get at this much abv. It is my first of its kind and very unique.

Taste: Here is the booze. Honey, citrus blend, massive amounts of floral hops, bready malts, some fresh pineapples. Very sugary.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but very creamy as compared to what I was expecting. Med-full bodied. Medium carbonation. Leaves a boozy floral aftertaste. 1 word to describe this: Wow!

Overall, this was quite the sipper. Glad I shared it with Russ. I don't know if I could have a lot of this. Not to bad for the abv, but definitely a beer to drink in moderation.

mothman, Jun 26, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

A - A very thin head fades very quickly leaving a thin lacing, almost none existent in the center, but slightly builds as you reach the edges of the glass where the is ultimately a thin ring of foam... Minor traces of extremely slothy carbonation... An intriguing and glowing ruby red color...

S - Absolutely scrumptious... The heavy dose of alcohol is evident, but in a sleek barrel aged sort of way as opposed to an off-putting solvent... Candied sugars... Grapefruit and assorted other citrus scents... Melon...

T - Loads of malt... Sweet candied beginning... Then we shift to a sweet melon fruitiness that quickly give way to a hoppy citrus kick... The aftertaste turns slightly medicinal...

M - Wow... What an impact... The flavors fill the mouth quickly... Much fuller than full bodied if that's possible... Extremely sticky and syrupy... Gummy... Loads of heats for the 20+% ABV... If the slightest sip will be felt in your chest... A decent amount of carbonation finds it way through and helps to balance things out (relatively speaking)...

D - The ultimate sipper... DFH is known for their extreme beers, and this is the poster child... This beer could last you hours... Some may consider this a "gimmick" beer, but they would sorely be missing the point... This is a unique and intriguing offering that all BAs should experience for themselves at somepoint... Truly one of a kind...

philbe311, Jun 26, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

The date on the bottle says 11/08/08, so this has almost 8 months of age. I notice a little bit of a difference, but nothing significant.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance- Spectacular, hazy ruby color. Head was very white, but very thin.

Smell- The best way to describe it would be a sweet, fermenting citrus aroma with a kick of hops.

Taste- A myriad of hops, natural sugars, and alcohol. Extreme.

Mouthfeel- Extremely full bodied, with mild carbonation.

Drinkability- Not much to say, here. It's a rare occasion when I buy these, and for a good reason. Never will I drink more than one in a session. Let alone, a good three months.

BenJames1984, Jun 24, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

This is hands down the most intense beer I have ever experienced in my life. Wow!

Poured into snifter, a deep amber color, clear, with thick light tan head. Great retention and lacing. A very good looking beer. Smell is intense of piney hops, citrus, sweetness, and alcohol. It almost smells like some sort of sweet, hard candy. Taste is similar. Strong, sweet, intense malt. Some caramel, candi sugar, and just general sweetness. A little bit of pineapple and/or general citric hops as it hits the back of the palate. Alcohol and a very warming/burning sensation as it goes down. Thick and creamy mouthfeel that I really enjoyed, somewhat velvety. Overall a drinkable beer in the sense that it is possible to drink this and enjoy it. Not drinkable in the sense of, "lets get a 6'er and slam it." This beer is intense and I think if you can drink this in less than 2 hours then you need to drink less.

bunnyhustle, Jun 24, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Golden amber with orange-red highlights. Medium sized head and a thin lace.
The aroma of alcohol,malts,fruits,grapefruit and alcohol.
The taste starts off with a sweetness that seems overbearing. Malty and heavy with some hops and alcohol. Caramel notes and pine. This is a beer that needs a chaser.

The feel is full bodied,some spice,medium carbonation and very syrupy.

Notes: Better than Old Schoole in terms of alcohol masking and balance. I really do not see how aging would help this,but I do not know for sure. It just was not what I thought of as a great beer. I will not buy this again,but it is worth a try.

Lexluthor33, Jun 23, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours golden into a taster glass with a small head with good retention.

The smell is overpowering piney hops with alcohol undertones.

This is a hop sandwich. Massive hops with lots of alcohol lurking beneath the hop assault. Very thick and chewey. This is a fine voyage to the outer limits of hoppiness. It is in a class by itself and, if you are willing to make the trip, it's an interesting destination. Be prepared to share the 12 oz. bottle because it's a lot for one person.

Unique and interesting but not your everyday beer.

jsapunor, Jun 22, 2009