120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Can't even remember if I've ever tried this.
Damn, I remembered this being 12% or something.. not 18%!
Cool.

A- A very nice but terribly hazy burnt orange. I think the head would be a dirty-white if I could manage to get one. It just fizzles out.

S- Citrus medley of all sorts... mandarin, orange a bit of grapefruit. Also smells of unfermented wort... like LME or something. Lots of alcohol, but it smells great.

T- Very smooth. The malt taste is peculiar, different than what I'm used to. Surprising how little hop bite there is. The bitterness doesn't linger. Not as syrupy and sickly sweet as I thought (or as people tend to say). Some white tea and the lightest touch of caramel.

M- Obviously not thin... not as thick as I thought though. Moderate carbonation gives it all a nice foamy texture.

O- I enjoyed this. Kind of a bummer since I want to buy more and I found this one for $12.95.

It's a sunny -1C day in Montreal and this has a nice refreshing yet warming quality to it. Good beer. A good way of seeing how versatile beer can be.
If there was a beer hall of fame, this should be in it.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

Served from the bottle into a Great Divide Brussel's glass. Beer is at cellar temp and was bottled 12/18/2006.
Smells coming from the bottle are deep caramel and molasses. Pours a dark brown with a one finger head that quickly recedes into a very patchy lace. Beer appears to be mildly carbonatedas there are some bubbles steadily rising to the surface of the glass. Beer has a very potent aroma of brown sugar that can be detected at quite a distance from the glass. Beer goes down smoothly for such a high abv. Slight alcohol burn followed by heavy sweetness and a touch of bitter hops. The mouthfeel is full but not as creamy as I had hoped, but seems to be appropiate for a sipping beer of this strength. Every sip of this beer I take I grow to like the beer more. At this age of a bottle it has matured into a lovely very large barleywine and is would sit well with those looking for a very sweet and balanced barleywine that hides it's abv very well. If I hadn't known it was 18% I would have guessed it to be around 12%. Have not had this beer fresh, but would imagine it to be an animal of a beer. Looking forward to getting a fresh bottle and doing a side-by-side tasting. Overall I feel this beer is a well put together barlewine/IIPA that does what it says on the side of the bottle, (ages well.) Would give it a 4.5 out of 5 and will purchase again.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

12oz bottle poured into my snifter and my father’s glass. Bottled 11/8/2008.

A: Pours a very deep pumpkin orange with a thin bubbly cream colored head. A thin scum and collar lasted the whole beer through and left a few spots of soapy lacing down the glass.
S: Very strong and volatile notes of solventy alcohol mixed with fruity notes of citrus fruits and berries.
T: Follows the nose. It’s pretty sweet and almost honey or nectar-like. The hops are fruity, although I wouldn’t go so far as to say citrusy. The finish is full of raisins and a bit of caramel, and the aftertaste has notes of tobacco and leather.
M: Very syrupy viscously thick body, chewy greasy mouthfeel, and tingly but soft carbonation that bubbles up in my mouth. The alcohol is there, but it’s not overwhelming with warmth.
O: I’ve never had this beer fresh, but I can’t imagine drinking something that is sweeter and hotter than this. I liked it though, and it was great to sip on. Thanks to the generous BA who sent me this.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery