120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,056
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried a Dogfish Head 120 appx 2 years ago from a bottle this time from tap at Engine 15 in Jax Beach. There is a big difference in my two experiences. Much smoother taste and smell than from the bottle, nice small head with very fine Belgian lace, great color, and very drinkable.

2.6/5  rDev -36.6%

Well, turns out too much of a good thing can be a problem.

Let me start by saying I am not the biggest IPA lover to begin with but if it's a balanced IPA I would enjoy it. For some reason, with DFH the more hops the better which, to me, is like putting too much of any spice into a dish....there's a limit.

Now this beer does have its place. It's more of a liquor than a beer. At 18%abv it's something to be sipped. I actually prefer 6-8 ounces at a time as an after dinner beer. I have to say while it's hop infusion to the extreme, it's not as bitter as even some of the double ipas out there. It does have a reasonable balance.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a crystal clear, syrup thick, amazing golden color. I don't know what it is but this is amazing looking stuff. This is in the Utopias world, only with a touch of fizz on the top that doesn't last long. The clarity of this beer is beyond belief.

Nose of amazingly complex caramel malt, citrus hops, and dominant amounts of alcohol.

Port with hops? Hops with port? I'm not sure what this is, but it's tasty. I've had 120 before, at 22% and a year or two old the last time i had this, it was a beast of a barley wine. This is something all together different. The malt gives off an amazingly liquor like flavor. Giving off just layer upon layer of caramel sweetness. Attempting as best it can the hops give off a nice bite, tending toward the citrus vs floral side of the American hops, but they don't reach that point. Alcohol is nearly non existent and what alcohol is there is hidden in the hop bite.

This beer is sinfully drinkable. I really can't believe what I'm drinking. There is hardly any carbonation, heat, and even the syrup like thick look doesn't translate here. This beer is just way too drinkable, way too mellow, and simply put the best 13%+ abv beer I've seen yet.

This beer is often seen as a gimmick and I thought this about the beer to a degree in the past. This version is simply not what I've had before or age does this beer terrible injustices. If you like a THICK malty double IPA or you want an english barely wine malt profile with american hops give this beer a try. A truly amazing effort that justifies the two dumped out batches. This review shouldn't go along side the older versions as this is simply a new beer!

A - Blazing burnt orange color with a decent sized, smooth, creamy white head. Pretty good retention but almost no lace. Surprising given the ABV.

S - Sweet citrus and stone fruit. Caramel malt and some booziness. Pine hop aroma is also in there. Pretty fruity overall.

T - Like the aroma, there is a good amount of citrus, tropical and stone fruit. Mango, apricot, peach, grapefruit and orange all in there. A touch of booze on the finish but not much given the ABV. Caramel malt is also fairly strong. Much more sweet than bitter, but bitterness does come out.

M - Medium starting toward full body. Nice carbonation and has a smooth and slightly viscous feel.

D - Even with the ABV it isn't too boozy. It is a little on the sweet side though. That said, given what this beer is, it is very drinkable.

Notes: On tap at Beer Revolution. Not sure the year. It was surprisingly not too boozy. Having had 90 Minute, I knew this would be sweet and it definitely was. Nice beer with plenty of sweet hopiness, but there is a touch of bitterness. Good, but I don't know if I'd pay the price for a bottle.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

2009 vintage.
Pours a quarter fingers worth of creamy bubbly head. This as many have said dissipates to just about nothing, just a slight ring around the edge. Hazy deep orangy amber body.

Smells of sweet sticky juicy oranges soaked in spirits. Quite a bit of alcohol is mixed in with the carmel malt sugary smells.

Tastes quite complex. A mixture of carmel, orange, herbal, grassy, a hit of whisky or scotch. This was interesting to me. I was expecting a big boring alcohol burn, this was not the case. It's very smooth for 18%. Maybe if this was from a later vintage it would have been what I expected.

Mouthfeel is full. Very little carbonation. There is a hop bitterness that helps keep this one from being a one sided malt and alcohol bomb. This is very alcohol and malt forward.

Overall I'm quite pleased with this, is it worth the price, yes at $10, not at 18$ where I've seen it at other stores. Thank you Ian for this bottle. This bottle can easily be shared with a few friends. I was not blown away with this but none the less very pleased with it. I'd consider cellaring a few of these for future tastings.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

10/5/09 bottling date. Pours a light red amber, with burnt orange hues with the faintest trace of a foam cap leaving thin lacing. Barely any carbonation that works well with this beer. The nose hints you with warm port/sherry booze right off the bat. Baking spices along with spiced apple pastry, rich oloroso sherry, currant and booze soaked raisins and a touch of figs as well. Very nice complex nose definitely more fortified wine than beer. The taste brings sweet barleywine like malts with enough alcohol to wash it away - i might be able to tell the abv is this high but it is so well balanced it never comes across as hot. Hops really arent perceptible at this age, there is almost some caramel as well as light red fruit and raisins. Extremely drinkable and a rare treat in CA, would love to try this fresh.

Thank you Jonah!

Review from notes, 9/10/11. 12oz bottle, 2009 vintage I believe, split into Globes.

A: Pours clear golden and brilliant, followed by a bunch of sediment. Outstanding alcohol legs, and a wispy white ring of head.

S: Floral and sweet. Reminiscent of a sweet, robust white/rose wine. Lots of candy sugar, caramel and toffee underneath, some booze, and bits of spices, wood and nuttiness..honey as well.

T: Tastes a little like a spiced rum or sweet liqueur. All of the components from the nose are here, combined with some sweet fruits like apricot and papaya mixed with honey and booze. The alcohol isn't as noticeable as the nose, though you still feel a slight burn on the way down.

MF: Despite the alcohol presence this baby's got a thicker mouthfeel for this type of beer, and it's got some pleasant viscosity.

O: Liked this one a lot more than I thought I would, and glad I shared it; 6oz is plenty. A really well crafted ale, but definitely a sipper.

2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

3 oz pour from a tasting glass at Rehoboth Beach

L: Cloudy amber ... can't see through to the other side. Pour is absolutely too cold, but we're at the source here ... I'm concerned already that they are trying to numb my taste-buds for what's incoming.

S: Crisp booze destroys all ... until the hops kick in at the back. Reminds me of Samael's ... my nostrils have been sanitized ... this much is for sure.

T: Booze. Fading into straight isopropyl alcohol with the tiniest hint of hops ... before the booze kicks back in. Blech.

F: Astringent in your mouth. Scope has a less obnoxious mouth feel than this.

D: 1 sip was enough ... in a lifetime of sipping ... i'm not sure I could have made it through my 3oz pour.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

Dogfish heads 120 minute is, like all of their IPA's nicely crafted and very flavorful. When poured it has a opaque golden color with a thick creamy and persistent head. The flavor is a blend of pine, hops, and citrus, there is a boozy undertone but thats to be expected with a dipa. The mouth feel is creamy and thick. Overall its a solid beer, not the best this brewer has to offer but a great IPA none the less.

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

A: nice golden amber/orange with a thin head

S: dried apricot and citrus aroma

T: very smooth and full flavored and very-very sweet with a warming alcohol finish

M: Very thin mouthfeel due to the high alcohol content and low carbonation. A small sip went a long way to coat all of your taste buds.

Overall, it's a great desert beer

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

8oz snifter @ CloverLeaf Tavern DFH tap takeover

A: Pours hazy yellow/orange with off white head that just sits there and doesnt move.

S: Whoa. Mostly pine, bit of grapefruit, and booze. Not like other DIPAs where the smells is like fresh pine, but definitely unique aroma here.

T: Malty, sweet. Tastes like a barleywine to me, which is a good thing. Bit of hops in the finish. Tasty, but not blowing my mind.

M: Creamy, sticky on the palate. ZERO bitterness. Im kinda shocked that this is a DIPA.

D: High, but beware, this one will creep up on you.

Overall: Awsome beer. Not really worth the hype IMO. Definite achievement to pack this much hops in a beer and still balance the beer.

As other reviewers noted and it has had much debate, this beer feels like a barleywine.

If this beer tasted like it smelled it would be a homerun IMO.

Regardless of the style categorization definitely an experience, I prefer some other DIPAs to this one but definitely worth trying at lease once.

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a cloudy amber with a fluffy off white head that leaves some spotting and mild lacing around the glass.

Smells like lots of pine and alcohol.

Tastes are tons of leafy bitter hops followed by a strong sticky caramel sweetness. Pretty harsh alcohol bite and a long lingering bitter aftertaste. This thing is so damn sweet it's not playing around you can tell.

Mouthfeel is heavy. Well carbonated I guess I can't even tell anymore what's going on here.

Overall is ok but I probably should have aged this for a while. I think all the hype this year compelled me to go ahead and try it. This is my second attempt at drinking this beer and trying to enjoy it. This time didn't go much better than the first.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

I had heard so much about this beer prior to trying that I had figured it to be very alcohol tasting, with the high percentage. I was suprised that is was defintely drinkable although one was enough to provide a good feeling. The beer didnt smell 18% at all (thinking maybe liquor type smell) but it didnt smell that interesting either. The taste proved to be exceptional very powerful and lasted flavor in my mouth considerably longer than other beers that I have drank. It wasnt all the hype I expected but it did taste good. If I can sit down and drink this no problem with it being 18% I am happy.

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Poured a nice golden amber/orange with a thin head.

S: Very strong dried apricot and citrus aroma, gave way to a rather strong alcohol waft when swirled in the glass.

T: Very smooth and full flavored, sweet with a warming alcohol finish. The first dinks were fruity with hints of citrus, after I had a chance to warm a bit; it gave way to a very sweet honey and raisin flavor.

O: A great beer to try. Not only is a great tasting, but it a great conversation piece to sit and share with a friend.

3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

2011 vintage, 20% ABV. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a 8 oz. glass. (notes from 8/22/11):

A - Poured a golden orange with hints of amber. 1/2 finger of white small bubble head. Some retention and spotty lacing. Shines gold/orange when held up to the light.

S - Blast of intense alcohol mingled with grapefruit. The alcohol brings to mind a solvent or paint thinner, and it nearly blows over all the other hints here: apricot, melon, ripe banana.

T - Melony tangeriney sweet to start, with an acidy stab of pine hoppiness that crescendoes from nothing to prominence, and then lingers back down to nothing again, as moderate hop bitterness takes over with a MASSIVE booziness profile. Finishes tangy and sickly sweet. If you can black out (#pun) the intense alcohol flavor in your mind, you might find the flavors I mentioned.

M - Light to medium body, whilst both creamy and sticky. Moderate crisp tip of the tongue carbonation. Solvent nature of this clears the sinuses right out, and the alcohol burns lingeringly in the top of the throat.

D - To quote @distantmantra and his shock (but not awe) at the first taste: "Holy Shit! This is roofie beer!" Holy Shit indeed. The massive booziness of this Molotov-cocktail-sans-rag nearly wipes out any redeeming character I find here. There's plenty of novelty value...that's why I tried it. The melon and tangeriney sweet hoppy flavors started nice, but then it all went downhill into modeling glue.

Not like anything I've ever tried before...not detestable, but just kind of bizarrely intense. I'd try it again, but definitely only sips of it.

4.43/5  rDev +8%

While thoroughly examining the impressive beer menu at the Sunset Grill & Tap in Boston, MA, I noticed it. Could it be? Yes, to my surprise, they had Dogfish Head's elusive 120 Minute IPA on tap.. and there was no way I could walk out of that establishment without having tried it.

Appearance: the lighting at the bar was dark, which limited my ability to fully assess it's appearance. However, it's color is dark orange with a thin head.

Smell: right away, you could detect the booziness in the nose. This smell of alcohol seemed to fuse with the remaining citrus scents.

Taste: wow; unlike any other beer I've ever had! This beer has more than enough sweetness to balance out the gargantuan 120 IBUs. The hops are front and center, yet somehow, they don't seem to overpower the rest of the beer. The finish really sets the 120 apart from other IPAs; there's a bitter and warming sensation from the 18% alcohol that lasts longer than any other beer I've had to date.

Mouthfeel: there is a density in the mouthfeel that really demonstrates how big this beer really is. Almost syrupy in nature.

Overall: Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA is a truly unique beer. Often labelled a "sipper", I found it difficult to put my glass down. A must try for anyone that considers themselves a hop-head.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Served on tap in a snifter at Fountainhead.

Appearance: There is a warmness in the appearance. This pours an amber copper color with a lot of life. A small off-white foamy cap gently rests on top and then fades to a ring. This is dangerous, like a venus fly trap luring me in under a guise of beauty without disclosing there is danger ahead.

Smell: Crystalized raw sugar, caramelized grapefruit, toffee, brown sugar, and some sticky pine are all present in excess. Some nice bready malt aroma exists in the background.

Taste: This is somewhat syrupy and intense, which is not a surprise. Lots of sweet caramel malt with brown sugar, vanilla, and a touch of toffee. I take back every time I have ever said a beer tasted like caramelized grapefruit, because this changes my whole perspective. This is just dripping with caramel and grapefruit rind, taking the flavor from sweet to bitter with authority. Prickly pine and some dank herbal hops play in as well. There is nothing understated here.

Mouthfeel: There is no way this could be anything besides full bodied, but the ultra creamy carbonation is a great feature. Tingly, sticky, and sweet, this has a lot of kick.

Overall: This is the kind of power I look for in a DIPA. Delicious as well. I can see why some people will age this like a barleywine, but I will drink it fresh.

2.2/5  rDev -46.3%

2011 vintage (20% ABV) bottle poured into flared pint glass.

A: The beer poured a golden yellow color with a very small head of creamy white foam. The beer was thick, and numerous strands of bubbles were racing to the surface. Heavy lacing clung to the sides of the glass.

S: My first thought upon putting my nose near the surface was "this smells like an alcoholic grapefruit." Along with the grapefruit, I get notes of apricot, caramel, paint thinner, Pine Sol and modeling glue. Wow, this is one combustible brew that I'm not very excited about drinking.

T: I felt like I was drinking carbonated Citron Vodka with a shot of melon liqueur, rubbing alcohol and Pine Sol. There is a trace of grapefruit, candied apricot and caramel in there, but it is completely drowned out by the sickly sweet taste and massive booziness.

M: Very low carbonation with a creamy but sickly sweet and sticky mouth feel. I honestly did not want to leave this in my mouth long enough to even figure out the mouth feel. The sharp flavors kill any redeeming quality to this beer. Lots of heat makes this simply horrendous.

O: My face was incredibly warm after drinking this, which is probably the most positive thing I have to say about the beer. There are flourishes of greatness hiding, but the alcohol really overpowers everything that is going on here. This is one whale that's not worth the effort to capture. I'm sure glad I didn't have to jump through any hoops to get my bottle other than walking into Whole Foods and finding it on the shelf. It's worth trying with a group of friends, but I feel that there is too much hype surrounding this at the moment. I can safely say that I never want to drink this ever again.

3.73/5  rDev -9%

Shared a 12 oz bottle and poured into two snifters.

A: It was a golden yellow color, cloudy not much head but good lacing on the glass.

S: I detected a hint of pine hoppiness, sweet smelling.

T: It was a sweet beer, it had a malty honey flavor, with a hoppy finish, orange peel taste present, hints of citrus with the sweetness.

M: thick due to the sweetness of the beer, as the beer warmed it reminded me of a decent port wine.

Overall: It was a sweet, big beer that took a bit of time to drink 6 oz. As the beer warmed it reminded of a port wine, complex flavors, hoppy but with a honey, malt flavor and citrus on the back end. This is a beer I could drink every so often, a couple of year would be fine for me. I'll try aging a bottle and see how the flavors mellow.

2011 vintage, courtesy of Gerard from Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford, CT (no they don't have any left)

Pours a dark gold/amber, amber in the middle, gold towards the edges. Not much head, just a bit of lacing around the edges. Aroma has sweet malt and yeast, almost like a barleywine, with a ton of hops. Lots of hops. While it certainly looks and smells great, they can't quite match the flavor of the beer.

The taste is massive. The malt is so thick that it feels like syrup, and the taste is so sweet that it is similar. The malt is extraordinarily strong and sweet, balancing out the massive quantity of hops. The hops are dense, they don't stand out as much as they might in lesser quantities, like the brewery's 60 and 90 minute IPAs, rather the whole beer stands as a massive, monolith of malt and hops. The malt is more prominent than any other IPAs that I have had, but the hops are so powerful that the sweetness seems necessary to balance out the bitterness. I don't really get a bitter flavor from the hops, rather the sweetness of the hops shines through.

The flavor is so thick and intense that it is difficult to describe in conventional terms or in comparison to other beers. It isn't the lone overload of hops that many other big IPAs are, but for a beer this strong, it is the monolith of flavor that it must be to have everything about it be this big. Bottom line is that it is really malt-heavy, but the overall flavor is just massive, malt and hops and yeast. The mouthfeel is extremely sweet, the aftertaste lasts a long time and it feels like the beer is still there minutes later.

This is an exceptional beer, perhaps the best I have ever had. For a flavor-intense style, nothing matches it.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

2011 Vintage. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance. Gorgeous dark copper red in color. A finger of head dissipates to a beautiful layer with some awesome lacing around the glass. Alcohol legs are also present and linger for a while.

Smell. Very sweet and malty with aromas of dark sugars and some nice floral hop aroma.

Taste. A very sweet flavor similar to a homemade hard candy or the filling of pecan pie is up front. This slowly transitions into a very fruity, grape like flavor. There is also a lingering hop flavor that is a bit like mango or some other tropical fruit
This is complemented by a very slight bitterness which lingers until the finish. The finish is slightly alcoholic but not really dry.

Mouthfeel. Pretty standard full bodied with light carbonation.

Very pleasently surprised by this one. Sweet, but balanced.

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

Unfortunately, I don't have notes from the night I was able to get my hands on this beer, however I have read some of the horrible comments about it and cannot for the life of me see where anyone could think this doesn't taste amazing (though we all have different opinions so it's certainly possible you just don't agree with me). It's a sweet and caramelized feel to it and goes down smooth. Little head, when poured into the snifter I was drinking from, but it had this note at the end of a sugary variety that just hit the palate perfectly.
I was lucky to have it in a growler from the brewery and brought up to Philly for Philly Beer Week at $5 a glass (such a good price I had 2!), but I can't seem to get a hand on it anywhere else.

Bottled 2011. Poured into my DFH signature glass.

I was actually shocked by this beer. I read reviews, and watched beer reviews on YouTube before trying this, and I got mixed reviews. The bad reviews worried me. I went out of my way to get 4 bottles (and paid too much) so I was hoping to at least enjoy the beer!

Anyway, The smell of this beer was amazing. It smelled citrusy and sweet. I couldn't stop smelling it, even after I started drinking it. The taste was a little too sweet, but it wasn't unbearable. It was a little thick, and I wasn't used to that, but I still enjoyed it. I sipped on a 12 oz. bottle for over an hour, and I believe the flavors got better and tasted more complex as it warmed.

I have 3 bottles left, and I am definitely going to age them and save them for a special occasion(s). I'm assuming the sweetness will balance out.

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

I have yet to experience the 2011 latest batch of 120 but have been meaning to record these notes from my April 2011 encounter with a 2009 Vintage on tap from Downtown Bar and Grill in Brooklyn, NY.

My first and only time trying the highly anticipated 120 and a dense and cloudy peach orange nectar color filled the glass with little to no head. A vast aroma of caramel, deep roasted sugar and fruit fills the nose. On the palate, a solid earthy sweet peach and orange nectar citrus taste invades the palate with a remarkably smooth and deceptive abv. Alcohol is instantly warming. Dry and sticky herbal exotic fruit sweetness in the finish leaves you wanting a next sip...Five 8 oz. servings after my first sip, I left the bar realizing that I had just had my ass whooped by the smoothest, suavest, nuclear hop bomb of my beer drinking life...

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

absolutely an ender. if you could go there you can't return. i've had it before on an really hot day and had to share. the older the better. when young has a wafer yeasty quality in the malt. the older ones have a culmination of flavors. smells of rhubarb. and the palate is mildly citrus like a english barley. this is a barley most definitely. i would like to try it as fresh as it comes. has a long flavor that is suprisingly not as deep as i would have expected. quite drinkable when aged. smooth, caramel nougat, under ripen apple pie. a bit sour... a bit dense sugar laden. nicely carbonated.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery