120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Brad007

Vermont

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer was bottled in December of last year. Thanks Nathan15! Pours a very nice dark copper/amber-ish color. Pretty. The aroma comes off as strong and hoppy with some alcohol aroma as well. The taste is, how do I describe, warm and alcohol-ish but tastes of caramel toffee in the back of my throat. Hops are somewhat subdued but the beer has a sweet, syrupy consistency to it. Definitely a sipping beer!

Overall, I enjoy it. It beats out the DIPA that I've tried from Magic Hat, which is the only other DIPA I've had anyway.

05-19-2007 01:02:23 | More by Brad007
John_M

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

I have reviewed this beer previously, but from a 750 ml. bottle. However, that was a while back, and according to the DFH rep at Max's last night, they have tweaked the recipe a bit the last few years (whatever that means). In any event, the beer I had last night was so superior to what I had out of the bottle last, they might as well have been two different beers.

The draft version pours a beautiful orange amber color, with decent foam retention and great lacing. The beer smells very sweet, but there is noticeable citrus from the hops as well. On the palate the beer is sweet, with a cornucopia of cherry, currents, raisans, pineapple and other tropical fruit. However, unlike the bottle version I had, all of sudden there is a huge wash of hops that pounds through the sweetness. Nevertheless, this beer is still viscuous, rich, smooth and long, but with refreshing citrus in the finish from the hops.

The abv. is certainly still noticeable, and there's no way you can drink a lot of this (who'd want to) or drink it too quickly. Definitely a sipper... and a beer where the abv. becomes increasingly noticeable as it warms and sits in the glass. Still, an excellent beer. Very, very impressive...

05-17-2007 16:28:08 | More by John_M
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

I am in love, what can I say, hops juice, hoppy beer, hophead's beer, well there was enough hops in one sip to hops all of Coors Light's decade production and even if it was extreme, I did like alot. The bottle was bottled three months ago and considering the amount of hops and alcohol content, it was quite fresh.

Burgundy in color, with a foamy head that came out to say "hey" and dissapeared right away. Shy striking golden lights all around the beer, not bad.

Smell is well guess what: hoppy, did I mention hops a billion times so far. It is floral, piney, grassy, name it, I love it.

Taste is citroneus, malty, rich malted caramel flavours followed by a floral big rich hoppy flavours.

wonderfull bring, when the 240min IPA

05-16-2007 03:01:12 | More by 3Vandoo
Westsidethreat

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

I don’t know how old this bottle is. There is an 05 imprinted into the glass, that’s the only thing that could shed some light on it.

A: Gorgeous toffee colored brew with a lot of haze. Head is quite small but present, a light beige color.

S: Extremely doughy with vanilla, butterscotch, old orange rinds and black pepper.

T: Begins with caramel, drambuie and toffee at the front of the tongue. Butterscotch/vanilla swagger across the palate next with super concentrated orange marmalade, honey and blood orange flavors. The flavors intensify after the swallow and linger for what seems like minutes. Alcohol vapors go shooting through the nasal cavity, bringing with them citrusy notes. Finishes with a bitterness that goes the distance and a marshmallow taste that won’t leave my mouth.

M: Full bodied and smooth with only a touch of syrup qualities.

D: This is a ginormous beer. They’ve avoided it being too syrupy, which is surprising for the alcohol content. Definitely worth checking out. I wish I had a guaranteed fresh bottle to sample.

05-13-2007 21:06:32 | More by Westsidethreat
blsfreak

Indiana

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

Thanks to JonMyers for the 2003 vintage, what a great birthday present!!!

Pours a cloudy amber, no lacing or obvious head, very little carbonation.

Smells sweet, very little hop aromas

Tastes amazing, not what I expected from an IPA at all. Sweet, smooth taste, very little noticable alcohol taste till it warms up a bit.

Sticky, sweet more like a liqueur than a beer mouthfeel.

I would not want to drink two or three of these, the high ABV would hurt anyone, but overall a great beer. One of those sipping on Sunday, cooking out beers to enjoy slowly. Being the hophead I am, I was a bit disappointed at the lack of over the top hops, which is what I have come to expect from American IPAs and IIPAs. Having not tried a fresher vintage, I have nothing to compare the 2003 vintage to, but this is an amazing beer....well done, Sam!

05-13-2007 02:09:36 | More by blsfreak
boelker62

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Pure amber perfection in a glass. Make sure it is poured into the proper glassware, and take in the beauty. Lazy, hazy head that goes away as there is no significant carbonation. It sheds a brilliant sparkle of what I see as pure onto the table or couner around it.

S - with many IPA's there is not too much to pull off the top, however, this beauty from Sam and crew really gives you ALL senses with which to work. Without the first sip, or knowing what the ABV is, you can smell the density and gravity of this crafted ale.

T - where to begin? I will leave out all the adjectives, and tell you it's great. Take it slow, move it around to different parts of your mouth and tongue. That's where the differences lie. Go ahead, do the "aficionado" thing, just don't spit! 20% ABV and sweet. There are likely 1000 different hints to this, so go get some, and discover it.

M/D - man is this heavy, appropriately so. A significantly oily feel, it wants to go down easily, and can, but you know this ain't your grandpa's beer, so enjoy.

For anyone who likes anything over 50 IBU's, this is a must try. It is really out there for most people, I am sure. As the 60 Minutes is supposedly 60 IBU's and the 90 Minute, 90. One would think...but it is very smoothed out.

I am aging some 2005 vintage in my fridge still. I'll start opening one a year in a year or so. Counting the days...

05-10-2007 20:32:57 | More by boelker62
boxofepilepsy

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

poured from bottle to tulip pint. murky red-orange color with a significant amount of head that dissipates with some lacing. the smell is a highlight-- floral hop edge and a lot of grapefruit. to say the taste is intense is quite an understatement. the hops so proudly boasted by the bottle (up front) are almost overshadowed by the taste of citrus juice concentrate. the sweetness is definitely overdone. ends in nice warming of alcohol. feels like syrup on the mouth and leaves a formidable after-taste. with the heavy sweetness paired with the alcohol content, one was quite enough for me. worth the experience, but not the cost.

05-08-2007 04:07:04 | More by boxofepilepsy
Backer2004

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Received two bottles of the 120 in a trade with zutmin. Cellared one and tried the other out tonight. Expectations were met, if not exceeded. Nice orange hue with a half inch head. Smells of fresh hops, fruit, candy. Taste the same, with a nice grape-citrus finish. Though alcohol was apparent, the hops balanced it out. Definitely can tell this is the highest gravity beer I tried after the first half of glass. Easy enough to finish and really enjoyed every ounce. Not for everyone, but my palate is finally to the point to appreciate this. Another hit by Dogfish head.

05-07-2007 02:08:02 | More by Backer2004
yelterdow

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

2004 Edition, cellared longer than anything else I've ever kept. After sampling this on tap in 2004, I picked up this lone 12 oz. bottle and decided to save it for a special occasion, the right moment.

Here's that special moment, and I am commemorating nothing at all.

Served in Dogfish Head's beautiful oversize brandy snifter at cellar temperature.

Appearance- Pours an almost perfectly clear whisky orange, carrying a small but sticky bone white head that winds up randomly decorating the inside edge of my glass. Alcohol content aside, this looks like it should be a fun ride.

Smell- Initially, the burst of air that wafted out of this bottle truly smelled of an English Old Ale... notes of leather and 19th century hardcover books, notably. Now, in the glass, we've got a fully integrated hop beast that has engaged its malts and just simply smells *enormous*. Fat and deep, and in wonderful balance aromatically.

Taste- All I can say is... *wow*... amazing... what a sublime example of what a fully mature, impeccably crafted beer could be. At first, the tongue receives a sweet, honey-like hop flavor that spreads gently across its surface. It then transforms to a chewy, rich, vintage quality that showcases a beautiful malt character along with the hops. Three + years of aging has all but eliminated any potential alcohol heat, as I swear this is drinking smoother than I ever would have expected. The finish goes on for days, the hop bitterness rich and complex, like an old wise man with a century's worth of wisdom.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Slick and smooth, easy down the throat and taking the obligatory back seat to a phenomenal flavor profile. This beer has provided an unforgettable tasting that I'm extremely thankful for, and I must give Andy's Corner Bar in Bogota another round of applause for having this on tap three years ago where I made the decision to grab one for the road. And DFH, way to go... this one certainly stood the test of time.

05-04-2007 04:18:43 | More by yelterdow
tempest

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottled 12/18/05

Wow, the drinkability really surprised me here. It was a sipper, but a fine one for the alcohol. I guess its had some time to mellow, but still. The boozey flavors were very low with estery malts and and fruit punch hops flavor. I remarked to a friend that it tasted like "hops candy." Its not the richest or most complex beer, but its good and its different.

05-04-2007 02:24:42 | More by tempest
dedge85

4.53/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: Dark golden brown with a small amount of head.

Smell: Caramel and malty

Taste: Delicious!! This definately hit the spot. Think and syrappy and even hoppy.

Mouthfeel: Tons of flavor hitting every part of the mouth.

Drinkability: A little hard to drink which is why you have to sip it.

I know that a lot of people say that this beer is overkill, but i wish that they would make a 150 min IPA because I think that it was a little bit too easy to drink!

05-02-2007 19:38:30 | More by dedge85
barleyman

Georgia

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from the brown glass 12 oz bottle into my straight sided tumbler. Appearance is a cloudy medium brown with good initial head receding into a faint one. Smell is of citrus mainly, with a hop undertone. Taste is of raisins and clove, hops and citrus with a strong hop finish. Mouthfeel is quite complex, more so than most beers out there. Drinkability is limited, one would do most people.
Overall, a bit over the top in my opinion.

Just a thought,

barleyman

04-30-2007 00:52:07 | More by barleyman
jasonjlewis

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Decent head that stays around for a while. Pured into a tulip glass.

Nice hoppy smell with some malts on the nose as well, mainly caramel malts.

Decent taste, Decent hoppiness that is overshadowed by extreeme sweetness and maltiness.

Mouthfeel is decent and thick, but the maltiness takes away from crispness. Syrupy in mouthfeel.

For a 21% alcohol beer it's not that hard to drink, but the extreme thickness and sweetness of the malt make drinking more than a couple of these a chore.

04-28-2007 06:51:00 | More by jasonjlewis
joeysmokedporter

Maryland

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A: Pours a cloudy pale amber, very little head formation although a constant ring around the glass throughout consumption.

S: Aroma is a mixture of alcohol, malt, and citrus fruit. Reminds of scotch with the addition of grapefruit-like citrus aroma.

T: Starts with acidic, sweet grapefruit flavor, moves into hoppy bitterness and ends with an alcoholic bitter note that lingers for awhile. Lots of hops evident in this brew, but balanced with the fruity/malty flavors. This beer reminds me of a slightly stronger Old School Barley Wine (also by DFH), with similar flavor profiles although quite a bit sharper.

M: a little syrupy, with an expected heaviness although it is still quite light for a 20% ABV beer. Almost sticky.

D: For its strength this is a surprisingly drinkable beer. Given the ABV I was expecting something closer to a scotch or whiskey, but the balance of alcohol to the rest of the drink was about on par with wine. Although this is a quite bitter beer I would probably serve this with a dessert because the fruity sweet flavor seems to strike me more. Not something I would drink regularly, but certainly worthwhile to pull out for a special occasion, or if I can find a good food match.

04-22-2007 00:31:15 | More by joeysmokedporter
mymrnngjckt

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I had a bottle of this at Coopers a few weeks ago. This beer needs to sit and cellar for a long time before it is even drinkable. Perhaps if it was store in a cave like the one from the move "Deep Impact" it would be more enjoyable after 300 years.

It look golden and hazy. Almost murchy.

It smelled like heat. Seriously, the smell had an overwhelmiing hotness to it.

It tasted like burning.

It didn't stay long in my mouth so I couldn't give a good review of the mouthfeel. I was in such a hurry to swallow it because I was afraid my tounge would burst into flames.

I can't imagine going to a bar and ordering this and enjoying it. Perhaps if global warming were actually real and I needed to hide from the impending ice age I would drink this to warm me up. Since global warming isn't real, I guess I will never have to drink another one again.

04-21-2007 03:26:45 | More by mymrnngjckt
flexabull

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

I got two of these courtesy of two great BAs. (drseamus and nathan15) Thanks guys! I figured I would drink one now, and one later.

I heard about this beer about 3 years ago, and have always wanted to try it. I am a total hop head, but I had a feeling that at 21% ABV, that this one wouldn't be all that hoppy... let's see.

I poured this into an oversized Riedel wine glass. It poured a nice slightly cloudy orange color, with a great looking white head.

Aromas are very biting on the nose. Super charged alcoholic fruits, and some pine notes as well.

First sip... wow! If you set this in front of me, I would have never guessed this was a 21%!!! ABV beer. I would have said at least half that amount. There is a surprising light flavor to this beer. It doesn't really bog you down with huge overbearing flavors. It is big, no doubt about it. But it doesn't wack you over the head with any particular flavors. It has a sweety creamy undertone to the first sip, the beer then settles into a bitter hoppy finish, that does give you a bit of a jolt from the alcohol. But it's not overwhelming. This is a wonderful beer.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. This is so full bodied, and well crafted. The beer really coats your mouth nicely.

Drinkability? Well... one and done for sure with this beast. But this is a special beer, and I am really glad I got to try it. I was skeptical about aging this at first... (I prefer double IPAs fresh) But this isn't really a double IPA. It's really more like a super alcohol hop charged barleywine. I think the other bottle is going to sit for a while. I also think this will stay on my wants list. Well done Dogfish Head!

04-19-2007 04:25:21 | More by flexabull
athensbeermaster

Georgia

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The color was an orange/amber with a big fluffy white head. color: mango,pinapple,oranges. The taste: big fruity,high acidity,strong alcohol aftertaste. The mouthfeel was thick and silky. This brew drinks like a well aged barley wine. My freind gave me this one sample I wish I had one more to try. This beer is very complex and I need more time to pick out more flavors. I'ts huge pollen season down here in GA. and it's kinda hard to breathe!

04-15-2007 00:44:57 | More by athensbeermaster
adowney523

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a snifter. Color is orange-amber and clear. Head is slightly off-white and thin.

Pineapple, some subtle floral scents, and alcohol present in the smell.

Malt taste is doughy. Citrus fruit from the hops dominate the taste, but there is some less-obvious fruity sweetness.

The beer is quite complex and rather drinkable considering the ABV.

04-12-2007 19:54:30 | More by adowney523
IntriqKen

3.53/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Really pretty clear golden orange in the glass with surprisingly larger head than you would expect with a beer this big. White head melts quickly but never goes away...remains a sticky ring all the way down the glass.

Aromas are fruity, tropical, and piney.

A definite sipper. Flavors are intensely sweet tropical candy and alcohol with a lot of pine oils that sort of stick to your tongue.

04-12-2007 04:24:09 | More by IntriqKen
Metalmonk

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottled 12/18/06

A beautiful beer: lots of bubbles swimming inside a toasted rust/copper glow. Small head, but you would expect that at 21%. Poured into a tulip glass, and the head stuck around longer than expected, fed by an amazing number of bubbles. Lace is thick and ever-present.

Aroma is one-of-a-kind. Big juicy pine essence, fragrant, flowery, orange-y...not at all nostril-flaring. Kept perfectly in check. One of the purest hop aromas you'll experience, aside from standing in a field of the stuff.

Flavor is as delicious as the first one I ever had, and as illuminating as all the others that have come since. It's remarkable how well the big hops and big alcohol are balanced against a hefty malt backbone. The hops are sticky, juicy, succulent, even a bit spicey and spikey, but well-balanced against a sweet malt that feels lightly toasted. 21% alcohol makes this a sipper, no doubt, but we've all had beers with half the ABV that were ridiculously hot and out-of-whack. This is not.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, utterly smooth, and luckily no pastiness in the mouth. Feels (and tastes) like a big ol' barleywine in some ways. Perfect.

Drinkability for a beer like this should be considered relative to similar beers. I doubt another 21% beer with such insane hoppiness could be made to be as luscious and enjoyable as this. And no significant weaknesses either. In a league of its own...one of the best freakin' beers in the world.

04-11-2007 23:11:34 | More by Metalmonk
prototypic

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Bottled on 12/18/06

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, copper color with a one and a half finger head. Head was retained nicely and left a really nice coat of lace.

Smell: Very sweet smell. Hops are really strong. Nice pine aroma. Citrus notes add to the sweetness (grapefruit and orange). Surprisingly, I cannot pick up any scent of alcohol.

Taste: Sugary, sweet taste is the first thing to note. This is a sweet beer. Grapefruit taste adds to the sweetness. After that rush, there's a bitter hop kick to it. It's balanced out a little by the malty taste, but it's still pretty bitter. Again, alcohol is hard to detect. It's blended extremely well for such a high abv.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This is pretty heavy and syrupy. I'm sipping it. Due to the 21% abv, I'd be extremely hard pressed to drink more than one. Drinkability is extremely limited. Overall, it's a good beer. Definitely extreme and pushing the envelope. Recommended.

04-08-2007 02:46:34 | More by prototypic
klewis

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks to markgugs for this one.
12 oz. bottle

A: Pours a clear golden with a small bubbly head and small bubbles of carbonation that fight their way to the surface. The head quickly subsides to a frothy ring and leaves spots of lacing.

S: Nice smell with both malt and hop characteristics like a barleywine. Sweet-smelling aromas of candy sugar and floral hops. Not even a trace of alcohol in the nose.

T: Like the smell, the taste is simultaneously malty and hoppy. Very well-balanced with a complex flavor. Again, little of any sign of alcohol in the flavor.

M: Thick and syrupy with just the right amount of carbonation. It's here that the alcohol makes its presence known with an intense heat that makes me warm and fuzzy after just a few sips.

D: An amazingly smooth and tasty sipping beer. In a blind tasting, there is no way I would pick this as having an ABV of 21%. I need more.

04-04-2007 23:15:38 | More by klewis
drpimento

Wisconsin

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Waaallll smack me down, this here is one serious beer. Poured with a small head and some lace. Has a clear orangish amber color. Nose is hoppy, fruity, honey, malty, and sweet. Flavor is all of that and more of the very ripe fruit, yeasty, and big honey. Alcohol is definitely there, but not as noticeable as the actual strength would suggest. Looong sweet finish. Big beer.

04-04-2007 02:33:11 | More by drpimento
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

2003 edition I've been holding onto this one for awhile- somewhat scared to drink it. Finally, after an exceptionally long work week I said to hell with it. Down the hatch

Pours out quite clear with a golden hue. Not much head to speak of- lacing was decent but thats about it. The nose is sweet with minor hops in the background. Taste is in a nut shell- lapping up lquid malt extract. Holy shit that's sweet! Boozy, huge caramel malts with some breadiness with a hint o' hops in the background trying to sneak through. Given that this is four years old, I think I would prefer a fresher version that has more hop presence. The sweet malts are just too much in the aged bottle. There is some bitterness on the tail end which helps the finish of this beer immensely. The hops that are there lend more of a resiny quality than anything else, but given the age I was expecting a hop aroma bomb. I am very happy I had a chance to try this monster and if given the chance would love to try a fresh bottle.

04-01-2007 22:28:35 | More by oakbluff
AaronHomoya

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Good sized, off-white head with nice retention. Amber/auburn color with good carbonation.

Sweet, fruity hop aroma. A hint of candy/medicine smell and some peppery alcohol notes become more noticeable as it warms.

Very sweet flavor with more fruity, hoppy, almost candy-like characteristics. A touch of alcohol burn and warmth with some nice hop bitterness in the finish. Sweetness is not overpowering, and the alcohol warmth just gives it a nice dimension.

Thick, syrupy mouthfeel but the good carbonation keeps it pretty drinkable. Hides the huge alcoholic strength very well. Probably not as good as the 90 min, but certainly more unique and worth a try.

04-01-2007 16:20:33 | More by AaronHomoya