120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
specsbeer06

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

This happens to be the best IPA around. With its scarcity, it makes people only dream of tasting the wonderful hops that this brew contains. The nice aroma as you pour it into a frosted mug, then to sip it is like the nector of the gods. I loved this IPA.

06-19-2005 06:00:31 | More by specsbeer06
scooter231

2.35/5  rDev -42.4%

This is certainly the strongest beer I've had so far. And, as chance would have it, not my most favorite of beers.

It pours a pretty light orangeish color with some white frothy head, very appealing looking. But looks can be deceiving. It smelled... slightly fruity, but mostly more of a vinegar smell- not the most appetizing combination.

The taste... rubbing alcohol comes to mind. Some fruityness prevails but mostly it's just not a wonderful tasting thing. Mouthfeel is okay, nothing special. Drinkabilty... well, I had half a bottle, and that was half a bottle too much. Sure, this will send you from sober to drunken haze pretty quickly, but personally, I'd rather enjoy what I'm drinking if intoxication is my goal.

It's worth trying, if only to say you've sampled all ends of the beer chain, but I can't see myself trying this again any time soon.

06-17-2005 02:40:39 | More by scooter231
ommegangpbr

2.98/5  rDev -27%

From a 12 ounce bottle into a goblet, bottled in 2004.
This one is a bit too much.
Whiskey comes to mind.
The flavor grows on you after awhile but it's too intense at first.
Not quite as hopped up in flavor as I was expecting... probably because of the alcohol content.
Quite a bit of fruityness to be found.
Certainly looks like an IPA in color and clarity.
I rather enjoy the smell of it... though, again, too much alcohol.
However... considering that it has the alcohol content of a liqueur, it's pretty well balanced.
Double IPA? Maybe more like a pentuple IPA.
Worth a venture... be careful if drinking a bottle by yourself.

06-15-2005 06:35:18 | More by ommegangpbr
ypsifly

2.98/5  rDev -27%

Undated 12oz poured into a tulip. The cap was bright, almost flourescent yellow with a dogfish inside a black triangle.

Light copper with a small white head that sticks to the glass, but lasts only a few minutes.

Smells like fruit syrup. Sweet with some alcohol underneath. There's some citric hops in there too.

Tastes like alcoholic fruit syrup. This is one decievingly thick ass beer. I would expect something this oily to be black. Very sugary, oily, and warming as it goes down. There's some hop juiciness to distract you from the sweet thickness.

There's no way in hell this could be a session beer. Would be better enjoyed as an after dinner cordial.

06-11-2005 04:45:51 | More by ypsifly
TheLongBeachBum

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

Presentation: 12 fluid ounce bottle with a simple brass colored crown cap. Parchment quality label has the words ‘Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA The Imperial India Pale Ale’ underneath the picture of a hop cone. Bottom of the label has the words ‘AGES WELL Brewed in 03 04 05’, nicked at 04. Cost me $7.99 about a year ago, it has been in my beer cupboard since and my fridge for the last week.

Appearance: Decided to use a tall curve sided flute for this on, considering the fact that this was going to be a sipper. In fact, I used my “borrowed” LopLop Glass from the Brussels Bar of the same name. Has a graded color profile, light gold at the base thickens to an orange-gold at the surface. Dissolved carbonation quickly forms a reasonable looking white collar head, maybe a ¼” thick. The head slowly dissolves, but it never disappears, the

Nose: Dark dried orange peels, alcohol, sweet malts, laced citric vodka and heavy sweetish malts, but not much in the way of classic hops strangely.

Taste: Sweet start that builds into a warming middle laced with hop oils and gelatinous fruits such as pineapples, oranges, and a highly distilled white wine essence. Syrupy feel that detracts from the experience for me. Has a solvent like nasal singe at times.

Mouthfeel: Warming tropical fruit dimension in mouth, screeching hop-heat in the swallow, the 20% alcohol is still here. Thick fruity feel but it is not that appealing to me, big feel but sickly.

Drinkability: It is a sipper and whilst I love the hops, the oily nature and the burn and that annoying nasal singe means that even the little 12 ounce bottle takes a while to finish.

Overall: Maybe this is one of those brews that really needs a few years hidden away, but even after a year it still feels raw to me – and thinking about it, I don’t really see how it will improve to be honest.

Sure, it’s a unique brew, and yeah props to DFH for creating a 20% Imperial IPA, or an American D-IPA, or whatever you want to call it, but I prefer the big-ass IPA’s from Alesmith, Bear Republic, Great Divide, Stone, Rogue & Russian River and I still think the [750ml] DFH 90-Minute IPA kicks ass and is the best of the Doggie styles

The beer world's version of all those funky Concept Cars that never make it. Sometimes beers are just too big, I think that is the case here, and it doesn’t really deserve top marks just for that…..I think this is over-rated IMVHO.

“I’m an Imperialist you know”…..but this is a 'one-off' DFH 120-min Imperial IPA try for me, worth it and definitely and experience, but I won’t bother with it again.

06-09-2005 04:09:10 | More by TheLongBeachBum
mjohn27603

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

What I expect out of this beer: A very hoppy perhaps grapefruit tasting beer with a fairly high alcohol content. I'm expecting something like Bell's 2 Hearted Ale.

What I got: Fresh beer brewed in 2005 not aged for very long. Purhcased from Cloverleaf today. Smell is very hoppy, head is creamy not very fizzy and one finger high. Piney in aroma. Certainly costs a lot more than a Bell's 2 Hearted at $7.99 for a 12 fl. oz. bottle. Expensive.

Taste: Hops! A bit of a sweet flavor. Kind of rings on the palate. Surprisingly not much bitterness. No grapefruit hops. I'm not sure what type of hops is used. Not a green hoppy taste. Some alcohol burning sensation but not much. A bit more sweet and malty tasting than expected.

Not very drinkable in large quantities. I enjoy other IPA's more and not worth the extra money.

By the way, I had no idea this one was at 20% ABV. It tasted like it had far less alcohol. More like a 8-9% ABV. I think this is a complement.

05-16-2005 02:22:01 | More by mjohn27603
custardcb

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

This was my first "big ale." When I purchased the single bottle I had no clue the strength of it. I was extremely surprised by the high alcohol content but found it pleasant. The orange and corriander taste was very arromatic and to my liking. IPA are one of my favorite styles and this one seems to be a real granddaddy.

05-10-2005 02:25:18 | More by custardcb
bnuttz

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a glowing orange color, very clear. Small bubbly white head. Smells sweet and of alcohol. Some minute hop presence in the nose. Taste is very sweet upfront. An alcohol presence makes a very nice appearance. There is some bitterness and hop flavor to balance out the sweetness, but not nearly as much as the sample I had on tap. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, as expected with a beer this big. Not very drinkable in a pounding sense, but for 21% alcohol its not bad. The tap version had even less alcohol presence. This sample is not very appealing. The taste is not hoppy enough. I guess I got spoiled by the tap version. Tap version is at the very least half a point higher.

05-09-2005 01:18:47 | More by bnuttz
tomthumbsblues

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Sampled from a 12 oz. bottle:

Three-finger creamy/foamy head sits atop a slightly opaque golden colored beer. Rings of lacing throughout sampling. Smell was strong, hoppy and earthy, particularly reminiscent of grass, or peat. Taste was spicy, vinous like a barley wine and not as hoppy or bitter as I expected. Very smooth mouthfeel. A good beer, but possibly too overwhelming in terms of flavor and mouthfeel to use as a staple beer.

04-17-2005 02:27:25 | More by tomthumbsblues
Wolfsdenbrew

New Mexico

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

2003 edition

Small off white head, that dissipates quickly. Pours a deep copper with slight chill haze, poured a little to cold and let it warm. Left a small lace island floating on the surface.

Aroma seemed to have a grainy, grassy hop bouquet, this could be due to age. Smelled of sweet malts like that in unfermented wort, still lots of sugar left here. Alcohol will hit you in the nose!

Flavor consits of big bold sweet malts with lots of caramel. Nice piney hop bit still there, although I am sure it was huge when fresh. Smooth warming alcohol in the finish, just sip this one!

Mild carbonation but appropriate with a nice thick mouthfeel. This is surely one of my favorite cellared brews. I love the big IIPA's and barleywines after some age on them!

04-06-2005 14:19:57 | More by Wolfsdenbrew
meathookjones

2004 edition with the green cap in a 12oz bottle. Pours out orange with surprisingly good clarity and a slight white foamy head. Some rings of lace were left around the glass as it was consumed. Wow this has a strong nose, huge hop notes with a big alcohol as well. Almost smells like a hop juice liquor. The alcohol though quite noticeable really takes a back seat to the massive hops. The sweetness in the taste was a bit surprising. Plenty of hops going on but it seems it’s so hopped it’s a hop induced sweetness. Not quite cloying and the alcohol really plays a part in balancing that out. Tasty stuff, that would be better with a touch less sweetness in the flavor, but at this strength that might not be possible. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with a coating sweetness. Towards the end of the bottle the sweetness really started to get to me which hurt the drinkability a touch. Overall a masterful job on such a monster of a brew, that while it does have some flaws manages to be great. I’ll be interested to see what some time does to the 750s I have.

03-31-2005 20:22:02 | More by meathookjones
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Bottle: Poured a light hazy amber color ale with a huge bubbly head with better then average retention and better then expected considering the high level content of alcohol. Aroma is well obviously very hoppy with some sweetness. Taste is way sweeter then expected with some bitterness but not as much as expected. The sweetness is a bit too much for me and even a 341 ml bottle of this stuff seems too much for my liking. Not bad just not a good everyday beer and there is a few strong extreme beers I would drink before this one.

03-29-2005 21:15:32 | More by Phyl21ca
cro250klr

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Got this one after having a DFH 90 min. from the tap. "Damn, is this stuff hop bitter", I said to myself as I downed the 90. I saw a 12 oz. bottle of the 120 in the back of the cooler and took it home. I waited about a week before trying it. I wanted a real unbiased opinion. I read about the bitterness units and the 120 blew away the 90. So the rating said. When I finally opened the 120 the first sip was alcohol, followed by sweet. Somewhere in there the hops kicked in but from what I remembered, I though the 90 was much more harsh. I took me 35 minutes to down the one bottle. You have to sip this like cognac. While I did like the smell, taste and mouthfeel, drinkability suffers. I couldn't do more than one bottle. First, the 20 abv will have you ready for a root canal with out novacaine. (I was buzzed for more than an hour from one bottle.) Second, it's way to sweet/hoppy. And third, I don't know if it's the alcohol or the hops or the combination of everything but, I had some wicked heartburn after this one.
This is a good one for those special occasions when you need to forget the world for a while. Like when your house burns down or something. Two 120's and you'll forget everything. I'm glad I tried this one but I can't see me coming back for more.

03-29-2005 18:08:13 | More by cro250klr
mgdeth

Montana

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance - Pale orangish-amber color. This looka like any other pale ale or IPA out there. Off-white head is okay, retention is okay. Good lace.

Smell - Strong hoppy aroma, mostly floral. There is also a strong sweet smell. Very attractive. The smell of alcohol is in there as well.

Taste - Well, it is very bitter, but I was expecting something that was going to toss me on my behind. Much to my surprise, this beer is also quite sweet. Alcoholic warmth is very strong, but well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Great, very thick body. Sticky. This is truly a sippin' beer. The beer finishes with a alcoholic burn.

Drinkability - Contrary to some other reviews, I do not find this to be too alcoholic. Everything is well balanced. The severve bitternes is a little rough on the stomach. However, at $10 a bottle, I will not be drinking it too often, despite its wonderful characteristics.

Comments - Hopheads rejoice! At first, I was not really impressed with this stuff, but it grows on you. The bitterness will not kill you, but it should impress you. Truly a skillfully made beer!

03-14-2005 03:03:18 | More by mgdeth
zig77

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Savored a 2005 120MIN IPA tonight. Beer poured with a minimal head and displayed a golden copper color in the glass. Aroma relects of a rich hop bouquet and discreet carmel undertones. First taste is an explosion of hop intensity. The balance of the high alcohol content, malt, and hop intensity creates what I would call a suprising sweetness. Subsequent tastes reveal the depths of the malt and hop mingling. The warming effect of the alcohol is evident, but not as intense as in the high-alcohol barleywine and stout offering by Dogfish Head. This beer is a tribute to the power of the hop and is to be treasured.

03-13-2005 08:01:57 | More by zig77
jvajda

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

The only thing really overwhelming about this beer is the amount of alcohol. It can be pretty safely described as DF 90 Minute IPA with twice the alcohol, but no more taste. That's not necessarily bad, but the 10% ABV of the 90 is more than enough for me. This would make a good sipper to substitute for a whisky or scotch.

03-03-2005 00:46:37 | More by jvajda
karst

Missouri

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Tasted on a warming spring day while high gravity homebrewing.

With an grassy floral hop and sweet malt-fusel alcoholic aroma 120 hits you like a spring SW wind. This American double IPA's 20% ABV will bath you and melt the windows of your mind.

Smooth as a warming spring day. Thick as molten glass. Sweet as a chorus of spring birds. Tastes as well as it drinks.

Expect that aged it becomes more poetic.

Follow with a 90 and and your crucified for the remains of the day!

To the Thawing Wind by Rob Frost

COME with rain, O loud Southwester!
Bring the singer, bring the nester;
Give the buried flower a dream;
Make the settled snow-bank steam;
Find the brown beneath the white;
But whate’er you do to-night,
Bathe my window, make it flow,
Melt it as the ices go;
Melt the glass and leave the sticks
Like a hermit’s crucifix;

02-25-2005 14:47:54 | More by karst
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

OH my GAWD is this potent shit!!!

I finally got to have my DFH IPA tasting... 60, 90, and 120 minute side by side. 12 oz. bottles. THAT was an experience... and gave me one HELL of a buzz.

This particular one had almost no head, but did leave lacing on the glass, as the other two did. Visually, all three were pretty close. They were all clear, yellow, and a bit fizzy.

This one's aroma was of intense aromatic hops, overlying a deep malt fruitiness. Like the others, but twice as much. Also, there was an alcohol presence that the others did not have.

The taste... INTENSE bittering hops, smoothing out to a mild bitter pine taste with an alcohol aftertaste. Didn't taste like a 20%, but maybe a 15%. It was definitely there. Again, quite a bit like the others, but doubled.

Mouthfeel was pretty thick... VERY chewy.

And drinkability? The one bottle was enough for me, thanks. Wouldn't want to do more than that.

It was a hell of an experience, one that I think I was glad to have, if I remember it right through the haze. One word of advice... if you're going to try this, don't do it in under an hour. Unless you plan on going to sleep early.

02-13-2005 23:32:44 | More by connecticutpoet
maxpower

Missouri

1.13/5  rDev -72.3%

12 oz bottle pours a hazy orange copper with a small off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass, funny pine aroma like a mix of Pine-Sol cleaner and Off insect repellent. Super sweet orange, maple syrup and alcohol flavors. Full bodied with a thick sticky syrupy mouthfeel, finishes with a lingering sweetness. A 12 oz bottle is too much for me, after only a few sips I am done...way too sweet, hard to dump such an expensive beer but I have no choice.

02-13-2005 20:00:00 | More by maxpower
WesWes

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

The beer pours a hazy reddish gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a warm pale malt scent with a smooth floral hop aroma that balances the elevated abv. nicely. The taste is good. It has a rich and tasety pale malt flavor with some carapils and a warm finish. It is rich in hops as well with a very complex hop palate. It is sweet and satisfying. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an excellent beer that goes down slow, but is a good drinker. I love hops.

02-06-2005 22:55:55 | More by WesWes
mntlover

Tennessee

Pours a deep amber color with a small head that doesn't last no lace but expected none.
Aroma is lots of malt sweet caramel some toffee lots of citrus hops hit the nose at the start but soon fade under the malt.
Woo taste is really sweet lots of candy like sugars then lingering caramel lasts for a while until the citrus hops add some flavor to try and drown out the overwhelming sweetness to no success. This beer needs lots more hops to balance it out. Some alcohol flavors show up here and there but are not strong considering the 20%.
Mouthfeel is big surpy almost very full but how could it not be considering the malt in this beer.
Drinkability is not good way to sweet to be drinkable for me. Still this is a beer everyone try atleast once just to experience it

02-01-2005 21:45:49 | More by mntlover
AlexJ

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

2004 vintage. This is the first time I've had a fresh 120, all other times they were at least a year or two old. I gotta say I like this one fresh.

It pours golden honey colored with a shaggy white head that quickly fades, leaving thick trails of lace in my Delerium tulip. A swirl around the glass shows that it is a thick, viscous brew.

It smells like I'm in a flower garden here. Super bright, floral and orangey citrus hops dominate the nose. Like honey drenched hop flowers, it is a combination of sweet and spicey.

Awesome upfront burst of malt sweetness quickly overshadowed by intense floral, citrus, candied fruit, clover honey, and pinecone flavors. Very deep and complex hops are the highlight.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and coating. Finish is sweet fade into hop oblivion. Alcohol is warming, but does not steal the sceen.

Like I said, I like this much better than the cellared bottled I've had. It's far less sweet, and has a lot better hop profile. I think another 3-4 months may help round it out and mellow the heat a bit, but it tastes pretty damn amazing now!

01-09-2005 20:25:28 | More by AlexJ
Pegasus

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Quite clear medium brassy golden color, moderately carbonated with a small off-white head, which retains well.

Aroma: Devastating floral, orange, and light sweet fruit hop aroma, hiding beneath all of this is some light malt, amazing that it was able to assert itself amidst all of the hop pungency. That being said, the hop aroma is more floral and tangy, rather than being bitter.

Taste: Incredibly sweet caramel malt balanced against intense, but mild hop flavors. The staggering alcoholic content of twenty percent goes largely unnoticed in the taste, due to the sweet malt character, tangy light fruit notes, and lesser hops, although it is quite warming. Finishes with a note that is slightly reminiscent of port.

Mouth feel: Very smooth, quite thick and syrupy, feels like a cordial on the palette.

Drinkability/notes: A most interesting creation, quite difficult to categorize. Those expecting over the top hop bitterness will be disappointed; it has a very high alcoholic content, but this goes largely unnoticed until afterwards, so it lacks a significant characteristic of Old Ale or Barley wine. Well worth a try, if only to ponder over. Considering the alcoholic content, a beer that is best shared, rather than consumed alone in silence.

01-01-2005 19:36:38 | More by Pegasus
redmosquito

2.93/5  rDev -28.2%

Well, I do consider myself a hophead so let's see. It pours a cloudy copper color with a decent head out of the 12oz bottle. The aroma is definately hops, overpowering any malt and even that 21% alcohol. My first guess is a citrusy centennial or amarillo hop, but as I let it sit my nose tells me piney northern brewer, or possibly chinook. The flavor is surprisingly harsh, with the hop flavor being somewhat grassy and medicinal. There just doesn't seem to be enough malt flavor to balance the hops. I am impressed at the subdued nature of the alcohol. My palate seems a little sore from the harshness. Overall, I like what they are doing, and the idea, and the product delivers in the aroma, but I was disappointed with the overall product.

12-28-2004 16:57:10 | More by redmosquito
BeerBuilder

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours to a deep golden color with minimal white head and a bit of lacing. The aroma is citrusy with a bit of grapefruit, balanced out by a solid malt backbone. Alcohol is present in the aroma as well. The flavor is malty and sugary sweet. It has a citrus hop flavor throughout, along with alcohol. It is medium-full in body and easy drinking considering its strength. Not a bad brew. Well balanced. I thought that this was going to be over the top bitter, but that was not the case. Nice.

12-26-2004 04:52:10 | More by BeerBuilder