120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
2.33/5  rDev -43%

I was excited to try this beer and got even more exicted after trying the 60 and 90 minute, but was sorely disappointed in the 120. It pours a copper/amber with little head which would be expected with some white lacing that stuck around while drinking. The smell was a fair amount of the hops(similiar to 60 and 90), but you could smell a medicinal/solvent aroma. The first taste was like a slap in the face! It is so syrupy sweet that I had trouble swallowing and tasting what else the beer had to offer. The hops aroma and bitterness is there as advertised, but the alcohol sweetness overwhelms the entire beer that there is no balance. I let it warm up some, which balanced the beer a little but not enough.

I enjoyed the novelty of trying this beer, but was barely able to finish even half a glass.

hopsleeroy, Nov 26, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Sample is from bottle labeled: "bottled on 10-10-07", and decanted into my Sam Adams glass. Served at near room temperature.

An average pour produced a 2 fingered creamy head that lasted longer than I expected for a 21% abv beer. Some splotches of lacing appear on the sides of the glass as you indulge.

Nose is absolutely huge .. biggest I've ever encountered. Big hop notes of course, which are of pine, hay, grass and citrus character.
Also present in the nose is huge sweet floral malts, along with the obvious alcohol presence.

Taste is surprisingly sweet (malty) up front, but all those hop aromatics and flavors are battling for your palate. The balance is pretty good, and the mouthfeel is immense. The 120 IBUs are clearly offset by huge malts. This is a very impressive beer, but not one I'd have more than one of at a sitting. First of all, at 21% abv, one is plenty. Secondly, at 450 calories per bottle, it's darn near a meal in a bottle.

I split a case with some friends, and will be cellaring the rest of my 'stash', to see how the beer matures as it ages. I did want to experience it "full force" right up front, so that I had something to compare it to later on.

It took me 2 years to get a sample of this brew from DFH, and I'm not disappointed. Like a fine wine, I will savor these on special occasions. If you can get your hands on some, it is an amazing experience, even if you can only enjoy it once in your life.

Na Zdravje

cooncat, Nov 23, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -16.9%

An intense experience. Definitely one to savour and serve in small amounts. Cloudy golden coloured with a head that fades fast. Intense alcohol and hop aromas that are resinous. The flavour is huge bitter hops - oily and rich with a spike on the back palette. The alcoholic warmth starts deep within the pit of the stomach and travels all the way up to the cheeks. Next time I try it will be in front of a fire with a huge cheese platter.

rizzo, Nov 21, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

12 oz pour into my duvel tulip
pours a hazy amber, with about 4 fingers of head that settles qucikly into a dense lace
Smell is all hops and booze. both stong but a bit more hops.
Taste is firewater, all alcohol, with just an after taste of hops. I was expecting a tongue wrenching hop blast but this just tastes like high octane 60 min. Its good, i can get some citrus, and pine from it, but little to no malt, and it mostly just booze burn.
Mouthfeel is thick, and raw, burns, i like it, but not what i look for in a beer.
Actually a bity more drinkable that i expected, if i broke this down into something like a 8 oz pour into a brandy snifter i could enjoy 2 or three in a night, but 12 ozs at once is a bit much.
Overall a tad better than i expected. I had figured this to be a highly overrated, overhopped, out of balance mess of a beer. Its ot over hopped, it is out of balance but in a good way, I like it, and will probally will keep a couple bottles around to sip on in front of the fire after dinner.

redneckchugger, Nov 21, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance - A dark brown/amber hue. Poured nicely into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle.

Smell - The smell did not represent 21% abv. A mild smell, fruity and nutty.

Taste - WOW. Nature's bounty laid in front of you in a frosty pint glass. The alcohol is masked by a strong sweetness. Doesn't taste nearly as hoppy as the 90 minute ipa, but it tastes sweet and roasty going down.

Mouthfeel - The first sip is like a cool autumn night. Harder to drink as it warms. Not too much carbonation, not too little. It is nice in the mouth.

Drinkability - 100%.

sharpy26, Nov 17, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

This is a great beer but such a different beer that it is hard to classify it in the double IPA category. I bought this at the Milton Brewery and think that it is a great beer, but because of its strong alcohol content and flavor, it does not lend itself to be a session beer.

Aroma: I have a poor sense of smell but you can definitely smell the sweetness of this beer along with its alcohol content.

Appearance: Thin silky head, mahogany red, clear, stain glass like.

Taste: Wow - smooth alcohol taste with a nice balanced sweetness to it, slight bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Mouth feel: A very nice even level of carbonation

pieper, Nov 14, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

I just had to try this at least once. "Continually hopped over a 120 minute boil and then dry hopped every day for a month", sounds reasonable enough...

It pours a thick, beautiful deep caramel orange with a massive, chunky head that just sits there after a heavy pour; very nice for such a high alcohol brew.

The nose is intense, I'm not even sure how to describe it. Heavy orange marmalade, toffee, bubblegum, and a cotton candy-like sweetness; hops are there but very sweet and citrusy.

Taste is incredibly thick and complex. Heavy dextrin sweetness up front, more cotton candy and bubblegum, heavy tongue numbing alcohol, grassy pine notes, wow! This is a huge freakin' beer. Honestly the sweetness is a bit much, and pretty cloying and syrupy throughout. Finish is like sucking on a sugar cube; intensly sweet and hot from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is something like maple syrup, extremely heavy and viscous, with an equally heavy body. Carbonation holds together pretty well considering the amount of alcohol.
I'm not sure about this one. It's extremely syrupy and sweet, and the hops kind of get lost in all that malt. Pretty good beer overall, and very well done considering it's strength, but probably not something I'll have again anytime soon.

Gizmo, Nov 14, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -23%

12 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions in Oregon for about twelve dollars

Enjoyed this while watching football today, and watched the Colts and Manning completely choke

As far as alcohol content goes, this was the strongest beer I have ever had, it pretty much knocked me on my backside

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with a orange red color and a soapy white head that was barely visible and settled immediately, left lots of lacing though

Smell was grassy-like hops with some grapefruit and oranges, could definitely smell the high alcohol content, strong citrus smell mixed with strong but sweet malt

Taste was alright but nothing like I expected, did not taste like much of an IPA to me, hops were overpowered by the malt and I could really taste the booze in it, too sweet and not bitter at all, could have really used some dryness, tasted more like a strong ale to me because of the excess malt, smell was a little piney but this was not evident in its taste, I was hoping for this to be bitter and was disappointed, cannot expect much taste out of something that is so high in ABV though, not bad but not great at the same time, they should make a new category for this type of IPA because it is like nothing else I have ever had

Not much carbonation but taste stuck around for a while because it was pretty potent to begin with

Could not drink much more of this, maybe half of another bottle, heavy and over twenty percent alcohol which is just crazy

Recommended just to say you have tried, strongest IPA you will ever have, be will be able to tell that this boiled for two straight hours based on the strength of its taste

Floydster, Nov 12, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

I have had this bottle for a while. Why tonight? I just don't know, maybe I am an alcoholic? No more like I was dissapointed going down the Sprecher 2xIPA tract. Anyways I have been meaning to try this one for some time. At $10.49 for a 12oz, I don't know how often I will be having this. It may be a one time thing, so here goes.

A-Pours a clear reddish brown. Aggressive pour yieldsa a cream coloured soapy four finger head. The lacing and retention are phenomenol. Streams of vertical lacing cling to the sides of the glass.

S-Bracing piney hops intermingling with a potent sweet malt and alcohol kick. Potent to say the least.

T-Hops at first, followed by a very sweet caramel and alcohol soaked malt. A nice toasted bread quality comes through as well. The alcohol is very warming as can be expected of something so strong. Definitely a sipper, but does that even need to be mentioned? Some spicy noted also come through, a sort of generic quality though without anything jumping out at me. Aftertaste is very bitter with a bit of drying from the %

M-Not as syrupy as I thought. this is actually slightly above medium bodied but akin to many other 2XIPAs. The body is actually lighter than the 90 minute.

D-This is a night cap sipper, maybe even one to share a 12oz bottle. This is a very tasty brew but the alcohol prevents you from drinking more than one. It is basically like drinking a pint glass of liquer. While tasty, this is much more of a novelty than something I would seek out.

sleazo, Nov 09, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -16.9%

Hmmm....once again I have been under impressed by a highly lauded beer. I vow to review this again with a different bottle and also on tap.
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A. Poured reddish yellow with a fluffy head and moderate lacing.

S. Some grassy hops and malt. So far promising.

T. Now I am let down. For such a highly hopped beer I was hoping for a huge hop presence. This is all sweet malt. Although I will say the high abv is well hidden by the malt.

M. Moderate carbonation and some alcohol warmness.

D. Of course this score is determined by the high abv and the hoops I had to jump through to score this bottle.

I have vowed to try again. I will be trading for this again soon.

MarkSCCOT, Nov 06, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle,

A- poured a slightly reddish amber with big fluffy head that lasted and lasted with lacing, crystal clear.

S- hops and hops, lots of grassy and grapefruity hops giving a great flavor throughout. strong malty undertone is present, maybe a little caramelish flavor

T- A heavy maltiness starts out the beer, smooth and silky, and the bitterness rolls in. big, but not as large as the 90 minutes, although there is so much malt that it would be impossible for it to be. a nice fading bitterness with a slightly sweetish aftertaste. the Alcohol is subdues for a 20%'er but still present delicious

M- a medium carbonation, smooth body silky.

D- a great beer, however at 9 a 12 oz bottle, not a regular purchase kind of beer, but definitely a great beer

Atron67, Nov 04, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: What a fine beverage Dog has created here. Poured from a 12 oz standalone bottle one of the most beautiful presentations ever in my pint glass. Opaque creamy tangerine with not too much of a head but that can be swilled back to its' original presentation. Some minor lace-traces remain wherever the beer has been in the tumbler.

Aroma: Loads of alcohol - stay away from the DUI stops after (1) (just (1) of these) ....you're busted buddy, This stuff is loaded with alcohol. From the get-go, it's been brewed pretty solid towards the ABV advertised. Outside of the booziness, wow what a fragrance of hops and fruits, herbs, more hops, and then, more hops.

Palate: Flavorfull. Fills your mouth with hoppy happiness. The alcohol bite is big but not overwhelming, just really strong. And following the bite the sweetness of honey-flavor remains to remind you have likely have had one of the finest taste experiences available.

Mouthfeel: Very drinkable. Smooth... like silk, almost whiskey, scotch-like without that much of a bite. Powerful lingering hops infuse into your entire entry-port and carry on down into a warming feeling overall. (No doubt enhanced by the ABV content)....

Drinkability: I'd only have one a night, if drinking anything else. This one will "put you quietly down" if you had more than 1. Glad I had a full beefy meal before sampling, otherwise...well, who knows, I sure wouldn't be preparing this review. Super brew, not for the amatuers among us. Be careful!

Overall, a sensational experience of a brew. The beer has "heart" in a big way. I would recommend every serious beer drinker try one of these at least once. It reminds you of what can be done with some hops, water, grains and a whole lotta talent as a brewer.

Fine stuff, overall. Carry-on, Dogfish!!!!

superswing123, Nov 03, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a murky copper color with a medium thin and frothy bone white head that burns off slowly. Spotty lacing. Aroma of piney hops and citrus with some sweet malt. Rich, full body with a thorough underlying malt and sherry sweetness that is somewhat surprising considering the increasing hoppyness of the 60 and 90. Hops are present to be sure, but are masked by the caramel malt and alcohol flavors. The finish is syrupy sweet as well, and by the end of the bottle you can definitely feel the 21% ABV. An enjoyable beer despite not being what was expected, still I doubt I would pay the premium price for another bottle any time soon.

Dogbrick, Nov 02, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -38.1%

I tried a year old bottle and was not impressed. This is a review of a bottle at 3 weeks old.

a: Slightly hazey medium copper color. The quarter inch white head dissipated quickly.

s: A very piny hop odor assaults the nose. Very nice. A tiny bit of simple syrup hides behind the hops.

t: Taste is just the opposite of the smell. Here the sweetness is completely dominant. The hops are noticeable, but damn it I want more. A lot more. This beer tastes like it was brewed for novelty purposes only. Far too sweet.

m: Pleasant up front with a nice oily stickiness. The sweet finish is a turn off as it lingers for far too long.

d: I didn't drop into the 1's because I didn't dump it, though I was tempted. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. There won't be a third time.

DIM, Nov 02, 2007
2.05/5  rDev -49.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

A - Cloudy amber with orange highlights and a thin white head

S - Hops. Very citrusy.

T - Starts off very subtle. Slight malt sweetness is quickly replaced with hop bitterness with a hit of alcohol. A grassy/herbal aftertaste.

M - Highly carbonated.

D - A little too overwhelming for me.

Second try about a year later.

A - This time there is something sourish or medicinal in the aroma. It's entirely unappetizing and I am dropping my score. I almost don't want to drink this.

T - This time, there is nothing subtle. This bottle has to be contaminated. There's a harsh m flavor with a sour finish. People like this?

D - Way too overwhelming for me. Once more I ask, People like this?

I have to assume this beer is contaminated somehow. It's astringent, and unbalanced. It's sour.

I'm going to have to think twice about buying this again.

hiikeeba, Oct 30, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Notes from tasting 10/25/07.

Appearance: Rusty red colour with off white head. Hazy. Retention is modest but leaves lacey ring.

Aroma: Piney hops, toffee, caramel, wood and alcohol.

Taste: Strong and overwhelming flavour. Heavy fruits, candy, caramel and bourbon.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick, creamy. A definite sipper.

Final Statement: A little too much for me. I wouldn't mind having a shot of this every once and a while to sip on, but not a whole bottle. That does not mean this isn't a fabulous beer and a great achievement.

MMansfield, Oct 30, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A heavy hitter for my very first review. 12oz bottle from the fridge.

First off, this is a very serious beer that takes a while to get through. Definitely a sipper.

The pour is nothing unusual. The color is interesting in regard to its cloudly appearance. The extra hopping seems to add an element of cloud that is very noticeable.

The head disappears very quickly. Lacing is indeterminate because i foolishly poured this beer into a previously used pint glass. Wrong glass - i know.

Aroma is strong, floral yet contains an unmistakable element that burns the nose in the slightest. There is an almost caramel note to it that i cant quite grab on to... but it is there none the less.

Mouth feel is exactly what you'd expect. All the bitterness of a good hoppy IPA combined with the extreme APV.

The taste is surprisingly sweet for such a high APV. No lasting finish which probably works to this beers advantage. A citrus backnote is pleasant surprise.

Overall, I would recommend this beer - in moderation. seriously.

greggivan, Oct 30, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is my candy bar, if candy bars cost $9 and got you drunk. I reviewed this beer at 57 degrees, a seemingly ideal temperature for it's taste. I'd planned on cellaring it for a bit longer, but a few trips to the cellar rendered me weak and thirsty.

At first appearance it had a slightly cloudy amber to caramel color, with a nice head that quickly dispersed and left some lace. The aroma was heavy on caramel and slightly nutty, with a roasted hoppy overtone, tinged by the high alcohol content. The first taste was full, with a sweet caramelly taste and a slight nuttiness. The feel was smooth with a lingering dry touch and rounded sweet aftertaste. As far as overall drinkability, I'd have maybe one more. The alcohol content and full flavor (not to mention cost per bottle) of this beer render it a favorite beer for occasional consumption.

lightindarkness, Oct 26, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

My first review here, and a seemingly interesting choice. In fairness, I was unfamiliar to this particular beer up until recently and decided the $8 price tag at Murray's in Milwaukee was worth the gamble.

Much of my opinion has already been discussed in other reviews. Poured nicely, the head not lasting very long. I was unaware of the ABV before diving in. The smell warned me this was dangerous, yet enticing. Overall, I don't know that this is a beer I will be drinking regularly. On the other hand, I definitely recommend it's given a try or two.

dhr, Oct 21, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

This beer pours a rich amber color with a pretty abundant and persistent soap-scummy head. A lot of "extreme" beers suffer in the appearance department (looking more like coffee or cognac than beer), but this one genuinely looks the part. Aroma is a lot of malt, significant hops, and a fair amount of bourbon and sourness. Aroma is in my opinion the high point of this beer. Flavor is a lot of alcohol esters (I get some astringency from it, but perhaps not as much as I should given its 21% ABV) along with a lot of malt cerealness that I typically find in bock beers, balanced with abundant hops, with some sourness/astringency at the finish. The taste is also rather floral. I definitely got a warming feeling in my mouth, throat and stomach after only a sip or two - this is not a beer to be trifled with (or sucked through a funnel, if you were considering it). Mouthfeel is astringent - it's like you have a drying agent or hydrogen peroxide in your mouth - which must be a by-product of abundant alcohol. However, it's not syrupy or unpleasant, which is a good thing.

This is a very unique IPA. It doesn't pack as big a hop wallop as many, and it doesn't come with a lot of very easy-to-like citrus flavors, but it is rather likeable nonetheless. Definitely recommended.

BeerBelcher, Oct 19, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Abosolutely outstanding! Another excursion across into Wisconsin and another great beer. Very malty and silky/syrupy on the palate. Not much head. You definitely notice the alcohol in the taste and even more so once you’ve finished! I was suprised to find that the hoppiness did not overwhelm this beer but that it was balanced very well.

KAF, Oct 18, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +10%

already reviewed this one once, but this time i had a one year old aged 120 minute. untill now, i wasn't sure that an iipa could age so well, but the malt profile and the hop profile had both remained outstanding, yet blended ever so sweetly and even become more distinct at the same time. the alcohol was barely noticeable, and the body was top top notch. i'll check back in on this one next year. a real treat.

timtim, Oct 18, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Peach/amber color with an off white head that reduces to a sticky lace ring and some surface lace. Very pungent alcohol esters, caramel, pine and pineapple from the nose. Dark roasted malts, prunes, a rich earthiness, and a big sugary sweetness. The hops is very piney with a juicy, tropical fruitiness. The alcohol is its biggest a second or two after swallowed...a nice warming effect and leaves your palate slightly numbed. Mouthfeel is full, somewhat syrupy, and the carbonation is good with a nice great creaminess. The finish is relatively tame, residual fruit flavor with some dry grains and sweetness. Overall rather sweet but I suspect that will adapt with age.

cabsandking, Oct 17, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle acquired in a trade, I have received this beer many times in trades, so I am not sure who sent me this bottle.
Looks good. Very dark amber. Reddish hues shine through, a nice white head forms and then dies quickly
Smells good. Very hoppy, but not so bitter. Agressive aroma, but also some sweetness in the nose
Taste is very good. The alcohol warms but is not overpowering. The hops aren't nearly as agressive in the taste, but they are certainly there. The taste is sweet, but I think it comes from the stupid amount of malt, not through a cheap, sugar addition way.
Mouthfeel is good. It is thick, which is nice, but very sticky and sweet
Drinkability is truly dangerous on this. I have to stop myself from not drinking more than one in a sitting. The alcohol sneeks up on you and renders you quite useless unless practicing caution.
Recommended

bradford, Oct 17, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a nice hazy orange with at least a two finger foamy head. Good retention and some stickiness.

Smell hits you with spicy citrus notes. The smell of alcohol is somewhat present too.

Taste is very sweet and syrupy. Hops aren't really that bitey, but are there for sure. Really a smooth beer all the way down. Never harsh at all. Maybe this bottle has been sitting around for awhile and tamed a bit.

Drinkability is very good when your just drinking one every once in awhile, but considering the alcohol it packs I can't give it a higher score. Too bad, because this is a really good brew that I would have loved to be able to drink one after the other. I guess 90 minute will have to do. ( :

BladeRunner, Oct 12, 2007