120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

(reviewed from notes) Dark golden color with a significant amount of lacing on the glass. When tasting, the main thing I noticed was how syrupy and thick it was, but it did not taste anywhere near as hoppy as most imperial IPAs, it was actually fairly balanced. It was still overwhelming in other ways, and the high ABV certainly made itself known both through the alcoholic taste and the buzz felt when finishing up the beer.

This is certainly an extreme beer, and i applaud DFH for that, but it probably should be thought of as closer to a liquor than a beer. It is certainly not sessionable, and not something I'd care to have a lot, but an interesting and worthwhile experience nonetheless.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%

12 oz Bottled 5/1/09 poured into a snifter

A-Pours a clear copper with a one finger off white head that had decent retention and left a fair amount of sticky lace.

S-Syrupy sweet, a bit of booze, slightly hoppy, very malty.

T-Very sweet caramel and fruit flavors are predominant. Slightly hoppy, very malty. Very rich.

M-Surprisingly smooth for a beer of this magnitude. Crisp, yet somehow still slightly creamy, oily and slick.

D-Its a sipper for sure. And one is certainly enough.

Seems more like an English Barleywine to me. Certainly an interesting beer that is fun to try, but this will be a once a year thing at most.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

2007 vintage pours a very clear, light amber color. Foam is minimal, but the beer does have some legs. Not much lacing. Considering the ABV, not a bad looker.

I am amazed that the hops still jump out as much as they do. Wet grass, scotch and dark rum aromas. Vinous, muscat grape characteristics. Mild oxidation, but not much considering the three years of age. Sweet alcohol with even some light grains definable. Uber-complex, ridiculously bold.

Taste is...shall we say, unique? Thick, rich sugar coated grapefruit juice, lots of hop flavor but not a whole lot of bitterness. Very sweet, port wine with a squeeze of lemon. Like grappa mixed with cognac, crazy brew. I would say this was worth the price for the experience alone, although I cant say for sure whether or not I would buy one again. Split between 3 people would be about right.

2.4/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my unibroue tulip glass. Pours a caramelly brown color with a smaller off-white head that recedes quickly.

Smell is very sweet, slightly boozy, with a decent amount of hops.

Taste is very strong. Starts off sweet. A hint of hop bitterness follows that fades away quickly as it's overcome by the sweetness returning, along with a good dose of booziness. There are fruit tastes in the background, and the sweetness is VERY powerful.

Mouthfeel is thick, slick, and very low carbonation. Very syrupy.

Drinkability is low. The taste is very powerful, as is the ABV, so one bottle is more than enough. Would be a perfect bottle to split between 2 or 3 people.

I was really looking forward to this, after loving 60 and 90 minute IPA so much. This is not was I was expecting at all. This is nothing like those beers. I expected a stronger taste, but the hop character I loved in 60 and 90 is not present. This feels more like drinking a liquor than a DIPA.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a small (5.5 oz) brandy snifter at Capone's. Keg dated 2009 batch.

A. 3/4 inch foamy head- which stayed firmly in place for a few minutes and was very slow to disappear. Hazy orange/gold/copper color.

S. Piney hops- good solid hoppy scent, notes of Fruit cake, toffee.

T. Wow! Hops, and sweetness! Alcohol, dried fruits, dried apricot, toffee, citrus (slight hint)

M. Syrupy, medium to full body, good carbonation. Silky. GOOD.

D. Wonderful sipper! Quite a treat- proceed with caution.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

this was a wicked suprise. My buddy brought two 12oz brews over for thanks of next weeks dave concert. Taking this brew on is almost like armaggedon

A- pours a hazy darker orange look. The head disappears like a ghost. Almost as if it is so concerned with the body of the brew... that it retreats

S- tangerine, apricots, raisins and a dominant syrupy sweet malt scent. There is some lift of floral hops. A dominant bouquet of flavor crashes into the scents

T- this is a treat... seriously!!! First and foremost, sweet fruity themes enter the mouth. A twist of bitter hop twist in the mouth. This is so good

M- creamy, creamy

D- enough said. Takes the cake. Be careful

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Big thanks to wchesak for this one!

The first beer of the evening for the "Lost" series finale...

Poured in a brandy snifter.http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs514.ash1/30309_1416256599812_1034494722_31230954_1090510_n.jpg

Pours a rich carmel, with a small white head the goes away pretty quick. But with a good amount of bubbles coming up through the glass!

The smell is sweet tangerine with a slight carmel and hop tinge in the back.

The taste is the same except with more hops in the fornt of the palate balancing the sweetness. Then a mild sugar and hop finish, lots of citrus.

Sipped this beer for a while and loved every drop of it.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Served from bottle into a Unibroue tulip. Pours a nice yellow-copper color with a minimal white head. There was minimal lacing throughout. Aroma comprised of nice hop notes with alcohol. The flavor of this brew was a nice balance of sweetness and bitterness with an alcohol flavor that intensifies upon swallowing. It was medium on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a very strange IPA. The alcohol content is pretty high so drink in moderation. Trust me... I know.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottled on: 07/07/08

Poured into a DFH signature glass.

A: Looks like a darker DIPA but probably more akin to a barleywine here. A light brownish-ruby color is a pleasant sight. Some head but it didn't last too long but I really didn't expect to see much since it's so strong.

S: I can smell some alcohol but it wasn't overwhelming. The hop smell barely comes through and I mostly notice a sweet malty aroma.

T: This is a lot different then I was expecting. Not as hoppy as I had hoped it would be but that's ok (this bottle is almost 2 years old so perhaps it is hoppier when fresh). It tastes good but it really tastes most like a barleywine to me.

M: Somewhat syrupy but it coats the tongue rather smoothly. I thought it would be much thicker and I'm glad it isn't.

D: Well this one is 18% abv so you need to come prepared. The sweetness combats with the alcohol presence making it much more drinkable. While I found that fresh World Wide Stout is much more drinkable than the 120 Minute, this is still great. It took me at least an hour to finish the 12oz bottle and that is really the only way to enjoy it all.

summary: Interesting beer. I might buy a few more to cellar and I hope to try it fresh on tap one day soon.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 5/9/09

Not sure how to review this one. Its certainly not an IPA. Oh well here we go. Pours a dark golden cloudy orange. Aroma is at first grapefruit, but quickly moves to candied figs and raisins. Its really the aroma of a Belgian Quad. Taste follows, more sweet fruitcake and warm toasty malts. Its very sweet, but in a good way. A great cold weather sipper. If blindfolded I never would have pegged this as an IPA. I am most surprised by the tameness of the booze. Of course this one has aged for over a year. I don't think I would want a fresh one, but after a year its a very tasty brew. Its just not an IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottled on 10-5-09

A-Beautiful amber color. Thin film of bubbles that hangs on top. a swirl of the glass and you can see the thick liquid stick to the glass.

S-Alot going on in the smell, the hops have mellowed but are still there, grapefruit, caramel, raisins, dark fruits, lots of malts, maybe a little alcohol but it blends in well.

T-A big sweet, malty, caramel treat. The hops come through in the middle. The alcohol definitely comes into play on the finish as well as all the hop bitterness.

M-I'd say medium. Not as thick as you'd think. Pleasant carbonation

D-Definitely a sipper. Very warming. I'd love to sip this on a cold winter night. Very balanced with alot of big flavors. Very complex. A very enjoyable brew.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle aged exactly 1 year (5-1-09). Pours very dark amber, lots of carbonation bubbles, there's actually a 1-finger head! And it stays good the whole time while leaving nice lacing. Very surprising for the alcohol content. Color of the head is off-white, somewhat yellow almost. Some dusty sediment as well. Booze is quite up-front in the nose, also getting hops and grapefruit. Taste is better than I thought it would be, first thing I notice is the alcohol is very well-hidden (I think this batch was 21%). It's there, but I would've guessed 12 or 13%. Malts are definitely overpowering the hops. It is very sweet, but not overly so. The main tastes I can get are grapefruit, vanilla, it has a liquor-like presence, almost like thick scotch or rum. Bready and boozy in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is good overall, but the syrupy-ness, sweetness and booze starts to get to you after a while. Drinkability is obviously low, for those reasons, who would drink 2 of these anyway? I've never had this fresh but I'd say age did this beer some good. I liked it much more than I thought it would. If I see an '08 around maybe I'll pick it up, I'd like to see what this beer is like after "a decade or so" like on the label.

1.43/5  rDev -65.2%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Part of a vertical from 2003 to 2009, minus the 04. Thanks to Mark (mfielden) for bringing half the bottles. Thanks to tprokop7, Uwftke26, and drabmuh for supplying my half in trades. Thanks!

I'm reviewing the '09 here.

A: Pours a clear amber body, with a surprising cap on the brew. It retains longer than expected for a beer of this ABV.

S: We started with the 09 and worked backward. The aroma of this one alone nearly killed my desire to go forward. Solventy paint thinner, perfumey, citrus hops... It's like grapefruit soaked in bottom shelf vodka. I'm not sure I understand how anyone would sniff this and think, "We can bottle it and sell it!" Why? Why would you do that?

T: Again, a perfumey, citrusy, extremely fusel-y experience. This really isn't my beer at all when fresh. It's sweet, boozy, harsh.

M: Chewy, full-bodied, bracingly boozy. Harsh is actually an understatement.

D: This was worth it for the novelty alone, but even my small pour was a chore off this fresh bottle. This challenges drinkability. I would not have this beer again. Vile stuff.

4.93/5  rDev +20%

pours a copper orange color with spare pearl white head and spare lacing. lots of fizzy carbonation. floral hoppy aroma which is probably the most tranquil smell i have ever smelled before. a bit of a perfume like hoppy taste that reminds me of a feeling similiar to falling in love for the first time. the taste of alcohol is apparent but not as forward as i would've thought. long flavor duration that is very sweet and just a tad bit bitter. This is probably if not the best, the second best beer i have ever drank. simply amazing. you will certainly have a really good buzz going after your first one. would be my everyday beer of choice if it wasn't so pricey, and i didn't have work and other shit to do on a regular basis that takes up perfectly good drinking time. if you haven't tried it i suggest you do so now. if you are a lightweight i would take your time this beer will creep up behind you and punch you in the neck. one of the best experiences i've ever had drinking a beer.

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz bottle from trade deal.

Pours slightly cloudy and amber orange with a smallish but puffy cap which lasts to lace the glass well.

As it warms it gives off a pungent pine-citrus aroma with an underlying sweetness and light fusel alcohol-licorice tone. Big syrupy mouth feel, big bodied and boozy, a citus-pine hop bomb but surprisingly tame for the IBUs and Plato...long metalic bready aftertaste....BIG warming!

Nothing like it.... Has to be experienced... it's been described as a hop liqueur...yeah I can see that.

3.78/5  rDev -8%

12oz bottle poured into chalice april25 2010

A cloudy pale orange with a few sediment swirls for a minute or two, not much of a head and no lace

S some grapefruit with some caramels and a fair bit of booze

T again there's a fair bit of citrus with lots of sweetness with a good hit of booze, much less liquor then I expected but still pretty hard to miss, perhaps some orange rind and honey to go along with everything else

M a little syrupy and just enough carbonation to please, not as much bite as I expected fairly smooth all thing considered

D I couldn't see myself drinking more then one of these and in fact I wish I had a someone to share this one with, pretty strong but not at all undrinkable

I've waited quite a while to try this one and now that it's over I'm a little relieved, this is a extreme beer and everyone should try it at least once just for the novelty alone. I would like to try a 10 year old bottle and see if it mellows out a bit. thanks ritzkiss for knocking this one of my want list.

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Glass - delirium tremens snifter

A - pours an orangey golden copper color with a thin bubbly white head.

S - big on alcohol and big on grapefruit hops. Those smells are so dominate I can only make out some faint toasty malt sweetness in the background.

T - sort of like a hoppy Irish whiskey. Bighting alcohol and big bitter grapefruit hops steel the show muting the maltyness a bit but that sweetness is still present in a sweet lingering finish but the beer does get maltier as it warms.

M - medium full bodied. Light on the carb but more than I was expecting.

D - not something I could drink often. Maybe like once a year is good for me but I'd really like to see how it ages.

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

bottled on date of 4/17/08.poured into a snifter,nice hazy amber/orange color.smells like orange peels,slightly herbal,bit of alcohol.

taste has some semi sweet caramel flavor,orange peel,a bit herbal,slightly bready and alcoholic in the finish.bit of a medicinal phenolic flavor hits me real hard in the after taste.overall not what i expected.alcohol is masked pretty well,imo.

medium bodied,drinkable despite the abv.worth picking up a bottle.i'd like to try a fresh one.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured into Duvel snifter...

A: pours a murky orange clay color with a 1 finger head that is an orange-cream color.

S: sharp earthy hop aroma, lots of orange and orange peel, with a rich buttery, malty background.

T: very rich, buttery, and sweet, sugary malt and spicy orange juice flavors upfront. this becomes very sharp with the hop flavors(orange peel, grapefruit, pine sap) lasting through with a bite of alcohol.

M: thick and syrupy with a light fizz to it. mouthfeel is oily and slightly sappy.finishes very bitter and very warm.

Overall, i was suprised at how hoppy this beer continued to be even with the high abv. I also expected the alcohol to have a stronger presence. quite good, but at halfway through, my face is already feeling quite warm.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours golden amber, with a minimal amount of white head. A very sweet and boozy aroma, with maybe a touch of floral hoppiness. On the palate, I get sweet honey malt, apricots, a bit of citrus and alcohol. Very syrupy and sweet, the hops are nowhere near enough to balance this one out. A somewhat one dimensional beer, not for everyday drinking.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Pours a clear amber color common to most bears, with a nice creamy colored head which dissolved to a fine lace fairly quickly.

S: All I can say is, WOW. Normally you need to get your nose pretty close to the beer to smell it, but this one could be smelled during the pour! Fresh hops and malts were very apparent.

T: Quite a bit of sweetness to be had with this one, the alcohol is readily apparent and the finish is rather bitter. There were caramel malt, and fresh flavorful hop notes as well.

M: Low amount of carbonation, very slightly tickles the roof of the mouth. Fairly clean feeling.

D: While this is one rather good beer, and very drinkable, I'd probably not have another due to the high alcohol content.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a moderately sized head. Head is quick to disappear, with a residual ring around the edges of the glass.

Smell is a highly refined alcohol content. Has a syrupy like sweetness to it that may come from some of the residual sugars that are present.

First sip has at first a very bitter hop presence, which is quickly swallowed up by a barleywine like sweetness. Alcohol content is covered up by the beer's bold flavors.

A rare find, this beer is definitely one of the best.

3.6/5  rDev -12.4%

A - Hazy copper beer, little head, but slightly more than expected from a practly non-carbonated beer

S - smell of malt and a hit of hoppyness, slight alcohol smell.

T - Nothing like I expected of a beer this hoppy, taste barely any hops, taste is much more like a weak cognac. Much too sweet for me though, would like to see it slightly less sweet so the hops can come out.

M - medium body, complex feel but still is like a weak liquor and no longer a beer.

D - Drank almost the entire bottle to myself and would not suggest anyone else do the same, tried to share it with a loved one but she was not into it at all, so i would suggest finding a friend or loved one interested in sharing it, as it would be a great beer to talk about while drinking. I would strongly recommend any hop-head or beer lover give this one a try, even though it was not my favorite but now i would like to try an aged bottle and see if some sweetness recedes.

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%

A-pours to a amber copper look with very little head

S-Has a hoppy citrus smell and boozy,but not as bad as i thought it would be for being 18%

T-sweet carmel taste and not so bad on the hops.Still not your typical dipa.

M-taste too much like cognac for me,but i could see where someone could enjoy it.

D-if your going into thinking it's 18% then your fine and oh yeah don't drink alone.

A - poured into a tulip. Hazy, frothy copper with a surprising amount of head for such a big beer. Settles quickly though, without a trace.

S - very sweet caramel malts, booze, rose petal, overripe orange, grassy undertone. You get the sense there's more hops complexity hiding under the sweetness, for better or worse.

T - sweet caramel malts continue to dominate. The finish is (finally?) quite bitter, almost coffee like. Interesting, though not sure it's my thing.

M - medium body, very sticky, yet plenty of carbonation to go around. Hard to recall a strong beer that's nailed so many dimensions.

D - fairly drinkable for an 18%; if anything the oddly strong sweet->bitter balance is harder to stomach. There are some beers out there (eg Russian river) that have really sold me on the taste (and expense!) of big IPAs; this one is a nice attempt but didn't fully win me over.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery