120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one that I have wanted to try for quite a while. I enjoyed both 60 and 90 so this seemed the next logical step.

Twelve ounce bottle is dated January of 2008. Pours a beautiful red color with nice fluffy head that seems to grow like something living even after visible bubbles have reached the top. It quickly wanes and soon appears to be not carbonated at all.

Not the hoppy aroma I was expecting. In fact, it's more sweet, fruity, and musky. I really wanted to to be incredibly full of fresh hops and all that goodness but it's not.

Taste is totally unexpected. Surprisingly sweet but also bitter. It really reminds me more of a port than a beer. In the beer world, I might say an imperial barley wine.

Mouthfeel is very smooth but drinkability is obviously hindered by the ABV. I think 120 minute is really a suggestion of how this one should be consumed. I started it almost 2 hours ago and still have 1/3 left.

This is possibly the most inappropriately labeled beverage I've ever had. It's certainly not an imperial india pale ale by any definition in my book. However, it's still an enjoyable after-dinner drink and could be a perfect companion for a great movie. I would also be interested in aging a bottle for several years just to see how it improves or changes.

GilGarp, Jul 06, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +21%

pours cloudy and orange almost like an octoberfest, the sent is one of hops and rubbing alcohol, this one is no joke, the first sip shocks your system as to how much hop can be squesed into one glass, this one isent for the faint of hart, the start is hops the middle screams of hops and the finish is a freight train of hops and alcohol, the one i have is a bit green i will get one and maby crack it in about 10 or 12 years from now i think it will mello and sweeten in time, thank hevens for beers this good

orcasteve, Jul 03, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

This is the big one!

Poured amber and cloudy as one would expect from an unfiltered product. I was surprised at the small head, but I don't look good with a beer moustache anyhow.

I like Chimay in a burgundy glass so that's how I served this one. The nose is huge, lotsa hops, fruit and it all balances beautifully.

This beer is almost too much for me, I cannot drink the whole bottle easily so I share it with folks who appreciate it.

This is the Château d'Yquem of beer and should be consumed in small doses. The finish is exquisite

rfeld137, Jul 02, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Overall I enjoyed this beer.
A - It poured a golden yellow with little too no turbidity.

S - It had a fair aroma that, extremely hoppy taste, but it didn't seem like the smell was was present to make want to suck this down.

T - The taste was extremely hoppy. They did this IPA near wonderfully, and I had no hint of the 21%ABV. It just stuck me as a normal 8-9%ABV beer. Then I looked at the bottle and hardly believed it. That is what makes this an excellent beer.

M - It was very sharp in the taste area and crisp because of the light nature of the beer. It is a nice summer bitter beer. Light feel for the tongue but a heavy hit on the taste.

D - Good for the first beer but a 21% is sneaky one. Maybe two in one sitting... Probably one.

BucksBrew, Jul 02, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -21%

Pours amber with no lasting head. Smell is alcohol 1st and then some syrupy sweetness. Not even getting any hops out of it. Taste is warming sweet alcohol. Hops are noticeable but mild compared to the heat and intense sweetness. Too sweet for a DIPA, yet drinkable, I suppose, for how strong it is. I'll try it again someday but this didn't excite me, like most of their beers.

JDV, Jun 30, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -23.5%

I had been wanting to try this for a LONG time; I love the 90 Minute. I finally found one (a single) in a Whole Foods in Vienna, VA. Bottled on 04/17/08, still very fresh.

Appearance: Hazy, amber color, small head, that doesn't stick around too long. Leaves a ring of head around the glass and some lacing.

Smell: Sugary, (maybe honey) and alcohol, with a bit of citrus and pineapple. Not too pleasant, too sweet smelling.

Taste: Very sweet, some pineapple, citrus and caramel malt, then the hops and alcohol. If you leave in your mouth for for more than a few seconds the alcohol becomes very apparent, otherwise it is well masked.

Mouthfeel: Almost syrupy at first, but it has the perfect amount of carbonation that comes through after passing midway over the tongue.

Drinkability: It is drinkable, but I started drinking at my normal pace and had to slow down when I started started feeling a good buzz (after having a few other beers.) I probably wouldn't want to drink more than 2 of these in one sitting.

Overall, it is good, not great. From the self proclaimed "Holy grail of hopheads" I was pretty disappointed, the flavor of the hops was overwhelmed by the sweetness, and the hops flavor that came through just mixed into the alcohol taste. I like most DFH beers, but this was waaay too sweet for me; I suspect this was to help cover the alcohol. For an Imperial IPA, I would take a Bell's Hopslam, or 90 Minute over this any day. However, this is something different than most that I would still want to drink on occasion.

cetae, Jun 30, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

2007 vintage.

Ah yes, the Incredible Hulk of all IPA's. Just pop the crown and take a sniff and you will immediately know you're in for a hefty smack right upside the head.

Pours a slightly cloudy amber-orange color with a paper thin beige head. Amazingly with the alcohol content this thin foam layer persists throughout the snifter. No lacing as expected.

Just a huge, complex and unusual aroma profile running the gauntlet from Sugar Daddy caramel candy, American "C" hop resins and sinus clearing ethanol to leather, bourbon, cedar and ripe red apples.

Palate is quite full and pleasantly slick for such a strong brew. Just the right touch of CO2 is subtely perceived.

Flavors much like the nose; a bit all over the place and distracting but so unique you can't help but admire it. Just a huge but well balanced conglomeration of sweet caramel malt and fruit notes combined with a firm citrus, pineapple hop presence.

No overlooking the alcohol here. Gotta go slow and easy and just sip away and enjoy. I love big beers, but couldn't imagine doing 2 in one night!!

macster, Jun 28, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

On draft in a snifter at the Gaithersburg DFH.

A - Nice cloudy orange color with good head.

S - Hops, hops and some more hops. Really you can't smell anything else.

T - Sweet with a lot milder hop flavor than expected from the smell. The only flavor I could pick out was orange peel.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer, really strong at 18%.

jeffmonarch, Jun 24, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

A- Cloudy amber orange when backlit, 1 cm head quickly dissipates

A- Sharp nose, like varnish or resin, but not unpleasant, nor does it remain very strong for long. Apple notes as the beer opens, port accents later.

T- Oddly fruity for such a hoppy beer, mellow apple and apricots are present, as is a distinct, pleasant aftertaste of whiskey. Cidery.

M- Remarkably light for an Imperial IPA; it's mouthfeel is like a well-mixed high-quality bourbon and water.

D- The beer is too wine-y o be a session beer, but it is excellent as a single glass, or one to decant and share.

Jorge, Jun 20, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

everything is worth a try at least once. Including this $12.99 bottle of Imperial IPA. Although it's odor is of a pungent rubbing alcohol, the mouthfeel is astonishingly smooth and satisfying. appearance is an impeccable cloudy orange with a thin dense head. taste is citrusy and expectedly alcoholic. A bit like fermented lemon juice. it's all good though, except for the ridiculous price.

JAA, Jun 20, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Been waiting all year for this to be released after I discovered how good the 60 and 90 minute DFH IPAs were. Finally grabbed a 12oz bottle for more than I care to admit, but I'm excited all the same.

Pops crisply and pours a very cloudy very orange. Little head, but lots of individual bubbles. Poured into a nice big bordeaux glass. Hey - a beer this big gets the special treatment.

Smell is almost eye-wateringly boozey, even cold. Hops, hops, more hops, lots of grapefruit, a little pineapple. Warm notes have a character like amaretto.

Taste is a smack of hops, but far sweeter than I expected. Mild cedar, some lemon rind, more pineapple. Goes from fruity to being more herbal/salty as it warms. Alphas abound. Pear when very warm - like they've been stewed in white wine. Lemon curd. So malty that it almos suggests oaking, but more likely that's the roasty character of all that barley.

Feels, as expected, warm on the lips. The oils actuall cling to them so after each sip you can lick them and get even more taste. Dry, though not exceptionally clean on the tongue, but not cloying in the least. Chalky if anything.

What a brew. This one was exactly as described - hop vodka with a hint of malt. Whereas the 90 minute is only 50% more exciting than the 60 minute, the 120 minute is about 10 times the beer the 90 is. Not you every day drinker, but if you like hops, you owe this one to yourself.

ojiikun, Jun 13, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Dark coppery orange color. Thin yellowish head with little retention. Light lacing all the way down.

S - Alcohol and a spicy hop aroma. Interesting combo.

T - Very interesting balance of hop bite, alcohol, and a hint of malty sweetness. The alcohol/hop combo is a very unique taste and the sweetness provides just the right balance.

M/D - Full bodied with good carbonation. It is a little hot with the alcohol, bit overall a very good feel. Doesnt taste like it is 21%. An excellent beer for ending the night.

ckeegan04, Jun 11, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

2004 vintage:4.8
2007 vintage:

I don't know what to call this unique brew. Possibly more towards a hoppy strong ale than a double IPA. Either way, it is quite good.

120 pours a nice medium brown and holds a silky beige head with decent lacing. Quite impressive considering the ABV.

The nose has aromas of big sweet candy malt and complex alcohols balanced by a bouquet of citric hops.

At 4 years old this has mellowed out nicely. The alcohol has been quieted and the flavors have really blended together. There are the fruity citrus hops up front that meld into creamy rich malts by the finish. There is also a good amount of matured sweet alcohols through out.

Creamy full body has good crisp yet delicate carbonation to keep it active. Amazingly drinkable for the strength. Another impressive creation from DFH. Makes me want to try more of their premium brews.

rye726, Jun 11, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -10%

Served in a tulip glass. Slightly opaque apricot colored with a thin orangey head that requires a vigorous pour to rise up, and then settles out quickly.

Vaporous aroma of cinnamon and ripe fruit, brown sugar and sweet citrus.

Flavor of orange liqueur, boozy and brandyesque. Big malts emerge followed by an alcohol warmth, and some grapefruit rind spiciness and bitterness. Grainy sweet malts linger. Not as hoppy as I expected.

Fairly full mouthfeel, warm, tingly on the tip of the tongue and cheeks.

Pretty drinkable for its bigness, obviously not a session beer, but I expected more hops. Good sipper, it's almost a sipping liqueur.

far333, Jun 07, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Just days after trying my first bottle, I find this beast on tap at Papago.

Super-attractive appearance, just a lovely double IPA: orange, creamy looking head, chill-hazed. The aroma is very strong; it blew away another massively hopped double IPA. The hops are so pungent that it's almost like smelling mustard seeds, just very potent and amazing.

Seems a little hoppier in the mouth than the bottle did, with a little less of the sweetness from the malt. It's still terribly difficult to drink, with a ton of booziness, but the 120 Minute is a truly incredible experience.

BretSikkink, Jun 06, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -23%

I've wanted to try this for quite some time and last night I finally got my chance. I love the work that Dogfish Head does (especially the 90 Minute IPA) but this one was a bit over the top for me. I found the alcohol overwhelming. I love beer but I don't enjoy hard alcohol and this one felt like a big glass of the hard stuff so it wasn't my thing. I'll just go back to the 90 Minute and save Dogfish Head the extra time.

GJ40, Jun 05, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Finally got a bottle of 120 minute ipa... Wow.... this stuff is intense...

The color is a dirty orangeish brown with la thin white head. Smell is of tangerines and pine. The taste is intensely of apricots, even moreso then aprihop which is weird since that is actually made with apricots with an intense bitter hoppy finish. The mouthfeel is slick with an incredible alcohol burn. This is a beer I wouldn't mind again but there is no way this could ever qualify as a session beer... Way too strong for that.

Anyway between 60, 90 and 120 minute ipas, the 90 stands out as my favorite as it is more intense and flavorful then the 60 minute ipa, but the 120 minute ipa is almost too intense for everyday.

hdofu, Jun 04, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

2007 Vintage.

Appearance: Pours a clear, amber body with a tight inch of off-white foam. Impressive that it can even form and sustain a head with all that booze in there.

Smell: Whoo! Even upon opening you get a whiff of alcohol-soaked hops. Very apricoty, maybe a few golden raisins. Leafy and tremendously resiny hop character and, of course, an excessive, though exciting amount of fusel alcohol.

Taste: Whoo-boy!! Ultra sweet, incredibly juicy apricot taste. Searing alchol presence upon that first sip, but give it some time, friends, that'll pass. Sharp flavors of ruby red grapefruit citrus oils and pine resin. Still, though, I get alot of apricot. All of the high levels of malt, hops, and alcohol push and shove each other around without letting one quality sit on the tongue for too long. The grapefruit and apricot come together, become morphed, and start tasting of mango and passion fruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-low carbonation. Sticky yet also pretty warming.

Drinkability: A sipper, for sure, but a good one. Really holds itself together fairly well for being packed to the gills with malt, hops, and booze. Like it or not, it's hard not to be having a good time when you finish the bottle.

ChainGangGuy, Jun 03, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

A - A golden redish beer when poured left very little head, whisch disapated quickly.

S - Hopes that is all that needs to be said.

T - Very hoppy with pine and citrus notes. But this beer is dominated by hops. Aftertaste you feel the alcohol of this beer.

M - Very clean and crisp tasting.

D - Nice to have one possible two but this beer is the beer for hopheads and would be very hard to session.

rpardon7, Jun 03, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into a pint glass. I have a tulip, but I didn't have it with me at the time, dammit.

4.0 A: Rich orange amber in color. Quarter inch head.

4.5 S: Somewhat woody, caramel. Sweetness is there for sure. You can smell the alcohol, but not nearly as much would be expected from a 21% beer.

4.5 T: Hardly bitter, unexpected from an IPA. Sweetness comes through. Alcohol isn't overpowering at all. Woodiness very apparent. Otherwise delicious, very delicious.

4.0 M: For a 450 calorie beer, it feels lighter than expected, but still very rich. My mouth feels happy, but not ecstatic.

5.0 D: I think I could easily drink another and enjoy it just as much. For that and the alcohol content, this is an exceptional drink. One of most drinkable beers I've ever had.

I'd have to say that this is a great beer, but not worth the $9.00 pricetag per bottle. One day when I have more money, it won't be a big deal, but right now it is (college student). I would recommend Dogfish's Palo Santo brown ale if you want a high flavor beer that's less hard-hitting on the wallet.

Dogfish head seems like it can do no wrong. I've loved 6 of the 7 beers I've had from them.

DavoleBomb, Jun 03, 2008

12oz bottle poured into a pint

A cloudy orange amber with a rocky, bone white head that had significant lacing.

Massive hops here. Candied fruits: pineapples, grapefruits, mangoes, apricots, etc., etc. I could smell this beer all day.

Very sweet and not bashful in alcohol either. Taste is primarily of sweet candied tropical fruits and a slight toffee-like malt.

Full-bodied with a long sticky finish.

I am a lover of hops and this was even a little tough for me. A definite nightcap.

ColForbinBC, Jun 02, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

The 120 Minute poured a cloudy orange with a soft pillow foam head with very some sudsy lacing.

The aroma was sweet off the bat. Slight tinge of pine. Caramel smells. Grapefruit. Blood oranges.

The taste was a tad alcoholic. It is quite overwhelming at first. It was really sweet like eating a piece of candy. I think you only have a few drinks to take your notes because the senses loose touch with reality quite quickly.

While it was really in your face with the abv, it maintained a smoothness to it. After I finish I know there will be no taste buds left till tomorrow to rate a beer. Definitely one and done. It was smooth on the tongue but it burned the roof and the sides.

Overall not a bad beer and worth trying but I probably won't buy it again due to the extreme cost for the return.

cswhitehorse, Jun 01, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +21%

Nose on the beer is increadible. Smells like fresh hops! Thouroughly enjoyed kicking back and sipping out of a snifter. The taste was exceptional, very fresh with little after taste. Very well balanced, the high alcohol content does not effect the taste of the beer.

hopheadsal, May 31, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

The bar I frequent got a 1/6 keg of this, so I was very excited. I knew it was rare to find this beer on tap anywhere.

A: Pours a cloudy, amber body with a nice, white head with excellent retention and excellent lacing along the sides of the glass all the way to the finish.

S: Smelled a little sweet and fairly malty. Not too much of a hop presence noted in the smell.

T: A very strong alcoholic taste. Any note of malts and hops were overpowered by the high alcohol content of this beer. While most people find this beer appealing because of it, I feel that it takes away from the overall enjoyment of the brew.

M: A very good, smooth and silky mouthfeel that was very pleasant and went down easy.

D: This beer would be a whole lot better if the high alcohol content was not as evident in the taste. I understand that 21% is ridiculously high and that it would be a challenge to mask it, but the alcohol content needs to be hidden a little bit in order to truly enjoy the greatness of this beer. While it was smoother on tap than it was from a bottle, alcohol content is still way too evident.

maddogruss, May 30, 2008

picked this one up (along with world wide stout) as a bonus for buying a case of chimay red.

pours a cloudy dark orange color with a thin head. lots of grapefruit on the nose. smells crisp. no hint of alcohol yet.

taste is not typical of a dipa. very sweet and not very hoppy up front. sort of an orangey/toffee-y flavor. there is a nice alcohol kick and warmth, and a lingering dipa burn at the end.

Like the World Wide Stout, this is an excellent dessert beer. It's unique and tastey, but in no means typical for the style of a dipa.

perfectkaos, May 29, 2008