120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found a little guy (12oz) single at Liquor Mart in Denver.
Pours a glossy rust color, orange and copper hints. Big, big foam of off-white thick head. Chunked a bit. Nice lacing
Spice and citrus dominate the aroma, with alcohol and the pine hops coming in and out.
Taste is intense. Spice, citrus, alcohol, hops, pine, oak, some sweet malt. The syrup feel clings a bit and reminds me of PineSol. The abv is huge, and this bottle was all I can gulp.
A good try, but I'll stick with the 60/90 ipa

Mebuzzard, Mar 03, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +10%

big thanks to crwills for hooking me up with this one. anyone who goes shopping with a copy of your 'wants' list is great. thanks craig!

12oz bottle dated 12/18/06.

pours deep amber, almost red, with a half inch of dense tan head. the head drops fairly quick but leaves lots of sticky lace behind.

aroma is great. the glass is sitting on the table about 3 feet away and i can smell grapefruit and alcohol. up close the alcohol is fairly intense. tons of grapefruit and a bit of pine. burnt toffee and sweet caramel.

wow. taste is intense. blast of alchol, then sharp piney bitterness. the bitterness level actually doesn't seem too high, but that could be the high alcohol numbing my tongue and taste buds. orange and tangerine, with a nice sweetness that isn't the least bit syrupy. the alcohol is pure and clean too - no nasty fusels. sherry and port-like notes. there's some bready malt buried in there too.

mouthfeel is great. i didn't expect much carbonation from a brew this big, but it's got a nice moderate carbonation level. great body.

drinkability is suprisingly good. it's definitely more of a sipper at this strength, but damn is it good. sort of balanced. i could actually see a few more IBUs in here. good sweetness and lots of alcohol.

obviously this beer is over the top, but i'm pleasantly suprised at how good it is. the bottle says it ages well, so i'd be curious to try one that has some age on it. damn good even fresh.

grub, Mar 02, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours gold to coppery orange with a medium cream head that fades fairly quickly and leaves a small amount of lacing. Aroma is big on sugary sweetness, very sweet malty aroma. There is also some citrusy hops in the aroma with lemon being the strongest note. Just a hint of alcohol is evident in the aroma but it becomes more pronounced with some agitation/swirling. Taste is malty and sweet. Like a lemon candy or citrus candy. Sweetness is along the level of an eisbock and then some. Citrusy hops may be huge but don't come thru that way, perhaps because of the large malt bill. The hoppiness is nice though, a clean citrus hoppiness. Like a eisbock and ipa mixture overall. There is some boozy warmth along with a hot alcohol bite in the finish. Alcohol seems nowhere near the 18-20 range. I love this beer. Perhaps not one you can drink much of, but a nice big sweet treat cut with some nice citrus hoppiness. Call it a barleywine or dipa, this one was meant for cellaring and I plan on loading up as the wallet will allow.
This review is from a 2005 vintage.

hoppymeal, Mar 02, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

120 minute IPA is an interesting beer. The appearance is an interesting apricot color with a thin white head. Smell is of piny hops and carmely malt, and of course alcohol. THe taste is heavy on the hops at first, but that quickly fades to a touch of malt and finally alcohol burn. the hops reappear on the finish with a wierd sweet alcohol taste. It's good., but a but out of balance. The mouthfeel was good and heavy, but the drinkibility was very low. You're not going to have more than one glass of this.

ejquin, Mar 02, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

I have sampled this several times at various beer festivals, but this is my first showdown with a full 12 oz. bottle. Let's take a closer look...

A barely legible inscription on the neck of the bottle says it was bottled on 09/07/06. Date of consumption: 03/01/07, so it has spent 6 months in the bottle, about 4 of those in my fridge. Sometimes I am amazed by my own patience.

Poured into an oversized wine glass with thin walls, the beer has a bright orange color with a small white head full of larger than normal bubbles. Holding the glass up to my nose, the beer reeks of hops with a sweet malt backbone. Very pleasing and unique. The first sip packs a punch. The hops are still present, but they have been dominated by an overwhelming sweetness. The alcohol is noticeable, but for a 21% beer, it does not make it too hot too drink. Personally, the sweetness is just too much for me and it takes away from the beer. Instead of being a smooth sipper, this beer is just tough to handle. The aftertaste is not pleasant and after a few sips I am ready for something else.

For me, the 120 Minute just gets worse as you drink it. I think it would best be served in 4 oz. servings. Possibly in a small snifter as an after dinner drink. A truly overwhelming brew, but one that I believe would be better off if it was toned down a bit. But I guess that is what the 90 Min IPA is for...

Jacobob10, Mar 02, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance - Clear amber in color. A good carbonation with a good white lacey head.

Smell - Sweet smell. Very floral in presentation and fruity almost candy in aroma.

Taste - Deep sip? I don't think so. This bad boy lasted all evening for me. This will kick your arse if you try to down this 40 proof brew. This is so very exceedingly smooth it was unreal. I purchased two and one will be aged for a good long time as a comparison.

Mouthfeel - Not a whole lot of carbonation presence which was suprising. I drank this one cool/cold and I personally think this added to the experience. This is a premier IPA.

Drinkability - Consumption, yes. Store, heck yes! This will be a staple in my cellar if I can find more.

Nesued, Feb 23, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks to jaxon53 for getting this to me!

Pured a deep orange, cloudy with lots of visible carbonation. Thick lace with lots of swirls rounding about in the top, looks alive. Very nice hue and presentation.

Smell will knock you on you ass1 Deep pine resin, nothing I have ever smelled before, and lots of alchol. It actually started to burn my noce it was so strong. As it warms, citrus starts to flow, grapefruit, pineapple, but the pine nugget explosion is definatly intense,

The flavor is rediculous. It tore up my mouth, almost undrinkably bitter, but that just spurred me on. A whole new level of hops, and of beer for that matter. Warming is not the word, this keep my whole house warm last night.As it warmed alot of complex and sweet flavors came to the front, but the most again was a sort of pine sap flavor. The finish was a huge deep dry finish. This is an amazing beer, just huge hops, alcohol is obviously a factor, but if you limit yourself to one, I don't see it affecting the drinkability. I actually re loved this, and would love to try it again. Nothing but really positives on this one.

mikesgroove, Feb 19, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

P: 12 oz bottle, no date on this one, I have an 03 and I know that this one is newer, maybe 04 or 05
A: Copper color, clear, thick head initially dissipates quickly but resumes with a good swirl in a snifter
S: Very nice, sweet and malty up front, I know the hops are there but the alcohol really cuts into what I expected all hop, burns the nasal passages a little
T: Incredibly well balanced, I expected over the top hop, but there is a nice malt backbone to this one, only slightly bitter in the aftertaste, alcohol for sure
M: Slick, that says it all, coats your tongue
D: This is a sipper without question, but you can easily drink the whole bottle...and then take a nap
Notes: Really unexpected IMO, so well balanced, not just out of control hops, really enjoyable. Might make my Christmas Eve lineup for 07.

luvND, Feb 19, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

The Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. The "Holy Grail" for hopheads. This 20% "imperial" IPA certainly pushes even the most avid beer lover's perception of beer. It falls right in line with the rest of the Dogfish Head beers adorned with the CAUTION Dogfish Head exclamation point, daring the drinker to crack it open. On this occasion, I have had the privilege to open my 2006 vintage alongside my friend's 2003. It pours into my Dogfish Head Raison D'etre oversized wine goblet with pale golden amber body. At 20% ABV, one would expect no head at all but the head surprisingly erupts from the 2006 version whereas the 2003's head barley creates a film. The head of the 2006 leaves a nice film over the beer the whole way down leaving lace down the side of the glass. The aroma is almost nothing but malty sweetness, however this is also surrounded by notes of alcohol and citrusy hops. The taste is up front with the sweetness, followed by the alcohol, and finished with the bitterness and flavor from the hops, but the sweetness dominates over all. The 2003 is certainly sweeter. The beer exhibits more than a full body with an extreme amount of dryness on the finish and surprising lively amount of carbonation. In the end, the Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA is a very interesting beer. The warming sensations it brings can make it one of the most enjoyable beers on a cold winters night. However, its not an every night or even every week beer for that matter. If you are looking for that truly extreme beer though, this is the one you are looking for.

MSchae1017, Feb 18, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can see how this beer would be interesting to age. The second I saw it I knew I had to, at least, try it. To me this is a novelty beer, it's a caracature of itself. No one really needs this much hop. I do love the 60' and 90' ales. But this is a beer to age and see what happens. Hazy amber. Very Tacky palate. takes quite a while to adjust. I'd like to meet the guy who could drink a 6 pack of these. It's a sipper, I could only do one a night probably. I'd rather have a sixer of 60' and drink all day...

TechMyst, Feb 17, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance: Deep amber with a chill haze, thick foamy head leaves a nice off-white lacing with some bubbles in the middle, the beer is still.

Smell: Hops. But also a big sweet dose of malt. Notes of coffee, hops are juicy, a little musty, alcohol warmth, spicy.

Taste: Thick and saturated with sweetness, grassy, brown sugar and some molasses, but it's balanced out with continuous alcohol in the nose, hops are hidden, present and spicy, but subtle. The end result is a warming swallow of sweetness, almost brandy like.

Drinkability: A very complex brew in my opinion. Huge alcohol is pleasant, but does mask the rest of the beer. It looks great, and I would drink this as an aperitif.

guitarmage, Feb 16, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Definetly a sipper here. pours a dark orange brown color. Smells a bit odd like oil and hops. tastes a lot bette though, you do need a lot of hops to overcome the sickly sweetness that is in here, and it is in there. Slick mouthfeel a bit thick but not bad. Overall, everyone should try this at least once. A bit pricey for a regular size bottle but it's good. High alcohol is hidden in the flavors, it works well.

Manosbeeroffate, Feb 14, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

I will put my 2 cents in on this, The Imperial IPA or well the Imperialist IPA/Barlywine Hybrid. With the 21% ABV and the malt balance i do feel it drinks more like a barleywine...But none the less a very good beer.

Appearance: Poured a orange, brownist color with a thin white head

Smell: Very very stong hop aroma strong notes of pine, Floral and citrus. With a sweet malt hints.

Taste: Very balanced hop and malt flavor in the initial taste with a bitting hop and alcohol finish

Mouthfeel: Very oily hop feel and a rich malt character.

Drinkability: Once this beer warmed very drinkable. The alcohol is hidden very very very well and i enjoyed this beer alot. I just wish it wasn't so damned expensive

jhicks12, Feb 13, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a slightly less than clear golden amber color with a full finger foamy light tan head that resists fading. Visible carbonation keeping the head alive and some lacing remains.

Wow, that's a unique aroma. A lemon-banana floral scent and sweet malt and the presence of alcohol.

Another set of "Wow's". This beverage has a lot of character. The immediate sensation is smooth and creamy with a whispered fizz. It has an interesting fruity malt flavor... and then a modest burn in the chest on the way down. The alcohol characteristic, while oh so real, is not overbearing.

I am really impressed with this ale; very unique, creative, complex and inviting. I'd love to set a number of them aside and tap into them yearly to explore aging...but alas I'm afraid that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

jjayjaye, Feb 13, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a trappist glass. Beautiful color, very little head.Pleasent fruity aroma. Very little bitterness. I taste the slightest little bit of a smoky flavor. I wouldn't be able to tell that this beer is 21% abv. It drinks so smooth. Very highly recommended. Yeah, it'll run you $8 - 9, but it's worth it. If you've ever heard the hype about this beer, believe it. This is one reason why American Double IPA is my favorite type of beer.

BigJTrucker, Feb 11, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Finally the alleged Holy Grail of DIPA arrives in my store. Poured into an over-sized wine glass the beer looked a impressive murky copper. A small head quickly reduced to a thin cap. Definitely some particles floating about. Sparce lacing. Smell is an ether hop blast that lingers. Initial taste is hops and quickly is over powered by alcohol. There are sweet citrus tones as well, but almost everything gets over powered by the booze, which isn't even a bad thing with this beer. I tasted this beer with any surface it met in my mouth. Which left a very nice 'full' mouthfeel. It quickly dries and lingers on the cheeks and throat. I would'nt think off trying more than one of these. None the less a great experience and tasty beer.

crayphish, Feb 11, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -29.6%

Appearance is a copper/golden orange with a little foam that lingers a while. Aroma is ethanol, citrus, sweet malt and almost no hop smell. Initial taste is sweet, and then the hops jump on board, followed by Apricot Brandy Syrup. It goes down like lighter fluid, and is not all that pleasant. There is an oily hop-finish, and thus it took me a LONG time to finish this – and I am a Stone Hop-Head.

I have since tried the 90 Minute version, and prefer it infinitely.

palliko, Feb 07, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

thanks to vwcraig for this via trade. man, what a beer. I've debated before in the forums whether DIPAs and the like really should be barleywines. This one is a clear example in my mind. I get the marketing angle 60 -> 90 -> 120 min IPA. Build off the amazing success of the 60 and 90 series brews.

Doesn't do this beer justice.

A - hazy golden color, wispy white head that actually increased as the beer warmed up from cellar temp to room temp. 1/8th inch head lasted the full glass.
S - Never smelled anything quite like it. Go to your local homebrew shop, buy a half pound bag of hops. Rub vigorously in your hands till you have a good coating of resin. Cup your nose and inhale. Yeah, something like that. Huge piney hop with citric undertones. A nice underlying malt body. Viscous aroma. Feels like I'm taking a taste as I breathe it in.

T - Less hoppy than the aroma suggests. Strong pine hops balanced out amazingly well by a golden buttery caramel sweet malt. Somehow the balance between hops, malts and alcohol tease the taste buds and swirl with an amazingly intoxicating flavor (pun intended).

M - definitely a full bodied beer. Mellow and clean finishing.

D - At 21%, thankfully it's only 12oz. One finished my night quite comfortably. Pour into a tulip or other glass to enhance the aromas, clear the schedule and sit back for a sipping indulgance.

A big ABV effort from DFH that blows me away!

barleywinebrewer, Feb 07, 2007

2006 Vintage from a 12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Hefty pour creates a inch of head that thins some, but has some staying power. Under the off white head is a lovely burnt orange brew.

Smell - Intoxicating smell. Definetly smells of syrup and balanced with piney hops.

Taste - First thoughts - oh wow! I was unsure of what to make of the first sip. Very complex and well balanced taste. Fruity, flowery, syrupy taste give way to hints of hops and finishes dry with a taste of alcohol. After warming the sweetness becomes tough to handle and is really overbearing.

Mouthfeel - Syrupy at first then turning towards an oily moutfeel. Very little carbonation and the alcohol is smooth and not overbearing. It really sticks to your pallate.

Drinkability - Definetly a sipper, but what delightful sips they are. Might be best to split this with a friend, even if it is only 12oz.

Notes - Great for a special occasion, with its high alcohol content and price. I may have one again down the road, but I don't anticipate this being a regular purchase. A must try beer.

Jmamay22, Feb 07, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

12oz brown bottle from Florian's. Slightly hazy translucent red-orange body with a thin film of off-white head. Smells strongly of citrus hops. Tastes much more hoppy than I remember it being. A fair bit of caramel malt to support all those hops, but definitely more hoppy than malty. Some alcohol present, but more noticeable as alcohol warming than flavor really. Medium, syrupy mouthfeel. Definitely a sipper. Better than I remember.

MrHurmateeowish, Feb 07, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Wonderful orange/ golden color. Intense aroma of hops and alcohol soaked fruit. Flavors of hops, alcohol and marmalade dominate. Sweet finish with lots of warming alcohol. Honestly, I'm not sure I have a need for this beer once I tried it a couple times. Certainly worth a try, but it is more of a liability to have around, as I need to make sure I have a couple friends to share it with to guard against sudden inebriation. It's like having a really irresponsible friend that you have to make all sorts of preparations for before he can come over to your house.

dedrinker, Feb 05, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

I've been ageing this one for about two years. Pours a hazy amber with almost no head. There was quite a bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Aroma is citrusy hops and sweet malts. Tastes a lot better than it did fresh, lots of hop flavor, malts and alcohol.Full bodied, This has developed into a good beer, fresh it was nothing but sweetness, bitterness and alcohol burn. Well worth the wait...

Dizzy, Feb 04, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

WOW! I have never experienced a beer like this one before. I decided to pick up a 12oz. bottle from across the border. It was unlike anything I have tried in the past. In the glass, it resembles Amontillado sherry with carbonation that rises fast and violently. The deep amber color and a thick sticky head is an immediate turn on. The aroma is reminiscent of warm buttersctotch and honey, followed by a thick honeyed accent. On the palate, there is the immediate presence of honey, candied fruit, and malt. It finishes with a slight hop flavor of garden flowers.

This is one of the most full-bodied beers I have ever tasted. It is not ready to drink at this point, but will benefit from age. This is the Chateau Latour of beers... It may be expensive, but it will be worth the pricde in the long run... Drink at least three years from the date it is bottled...

WYVYRN527, Feb 03, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours wonderfully into a champagne flute. Dark, hazy orange with a gigantic white head.

Smells fucking amazing. Giant sticky hops, pineapples, roses, and marijuana. Like mixing centennial and cascade hold them up to your nose and breathing deep.

Tastes good. Very good. The hops are more aromatic than anything, and the smell serves to blot out much of the amazingly sweet maple syrup malt that takes over most of the start and lasts throughout the middle. Ends on some pine and floral hops and a long, lingering bread yeast. Very well balanced, but the syrupiness is a bit too intense for me.

A sipping beer, for sure.

mynie, Feb 03, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

Pretty pink-tinged peach-colored beer. Poured easily off of the thin yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle, but there is a little bit of particulate roaming around with steadily streaming bubbles. A quarter-inch head thinned to a loose mat of foam.

Candy sweet smell and taste. Matching tropical fruit aromas and flavors that mean business. Smells of grapefruit hops. Spreads out in the mouth with some powerful malt that goes to fruity flavors like citrus, peach, pineapple and mango before hanging a sharp turn into clearly heavy -- but mellow -- booze.

Nearly syrupy mouthfeel, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Very little carbonation breaking it up, and the alcohol is soooo smooth. A velvet hammer.

I'm sold. This is not a six-pack session beer, understandably -- six of these will buy you more than a case of most craft beers, and put a few martinis' worth of alcohol in your gut. But it certainly tastes good.

maundythirsty, Feb 02, 2007