120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,047
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
2.48/5  rDev -39.5%

My second go at DFH 120. My recollection of the first one isn't too favorable, to be quite honest. Time to take another stab roughly two years after the fact.

You can smell it as soon as you pop the cap: big-time orange, almost candied orange, and a bit of peach and apricot. Swirling the glass creates this amalgamation of head and honey-colored beer that is about the most tantalizing thing I've ever seen. As it settles, though, it loses some of that appeal. A 1/4 inch head and a color that light cannot penetrate.

The taste: like the nose, oranges, but its odd. Sweet, candied ginger flavors mix with the tart citrus but are, alas, overcome by the hot, hot alcohol and big malt sweetness. (An aside: Sam Adam's recent double witbier suffered from this same issue--too sweat, too hot, handicapping any nuance from penetrating the surface). The hops are certainly there, but the dominant note, from start to finish, is heat. In fact, it reminds me of putting too much wasabi or horseradish on something: whatever goodness lies beneath is elided by machismo of too much.

I like 'extreme' beers, but this falls into the class of big guns/big tits/big explosion American-style overkill that ruins what might have been a good thing. Nuance? Forget it.

2.08/5  rDev -49.3%

Poured from a 12fl oz bottle into my pint glass

Pours a dirty hazy orange color(not to attractive looking if you tell me)with a one inch light fluffy slightly off-white head. The head resides on average leaving a slight white layer on top of the beer(not much)and around the edges of the beer.

You could smell the alcohol on this as I was pouring it into the glass. Besides the prominent alcohol, which is almost liquor like smell, I got dried stale fruit, especially oranges come to mind, slight grapefruit, and some piney/grassy hops. The alcohol really dominates though.

Man oh man, too much going on and not in a really good way either. Starts off with a strong alcohol like burn/bite(go-figure since its 21%)and in comes a very sweet sugar like taste to try and cover the alcohol which fails very much. Thats about all your going to get out of this beer. Alcohol is dominant all throughout this beer and leaves a liquor like burn way after you taken your sip(and I mean you will be sipping this bottle of alcohol).

Mouthfeel is very syrup like and teeth clinching with an alcohol burn. Definite sipper.

For those who dare to have another bottle of this, you sir just want to get drunk. For the taste and high alcohol and price tag, I will never, I repeat never drink this stuff again. I will stick to 60 and 90 minute IPA for sure.

4.1/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Raisiny and dark, opaque, with a nice tan head. Retention good, lacing basically non-existant. A real winner for looks.

S: Really alcoholic and raisiny. It's like Mr. Raisin and the Raisinettes just beat the crap out of you, which isn't all that appealing in my book. Hops are somewhere down there as well.

T: Raisins, dark fruit, really tart, brown sugar, more raisin flavor after swallowing. The tartness makes it much more palatable than it could be, and the sugar covers up the alcohol flavor nicely. I didn't think I'd like this one, but even though it's really sweet for my taste, it is quite satisfying.

M: Really thick and chewy, almost like oil. Dry after swallowing. Leaves the mouth clean except for the insane flavor - no oily remnants. Carbonation is perfect for the style. Non-astringent.

D: Goes down really well, but it IS really sugary. Not cloying, just feels like you're drinking dessert. That's the only thing stopping me from pounding this thing. Good for a dessert beer, but not to be served with a meal.

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

A: Poured a rich amber color with almost no head. Very thick.

S: Hops and the tingle of alcohol on the nose.

T: Very sweet like honey, and then the hops. For a IPA that brags about being hopped for 30 days and 120 min the hops wasn't as strong as I would have liked. Not much bitterness but rather a tad citric, almost sour in the end. But the sweetness finishes everything.

M: Very rich and syrupy. A bit oily and definitely heavy. A small amount of carbonation. Very smooth.

D: For a beer of this ABV content surprisingly easy to drink. A sipper for sure, but seems like it would be easy to swig away.

A gimmicky beer that is good to try once or twice but not the best IPA by far. I think it is a show of what can be done if all the stops are taken out in the brewing process and someone is allowed to go nuts. The sweetness, ABV and the price tag make it too far out of the ordinary though to get used to.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a cloudy orange/copper color with a sampling of medium bodied beige/white head.
Smells nearly overwhelmingly floral. Highly noticeable twinge of hops with a solid malt back-up.
Taste has notes of honey, some rind, grain, bitter hops, a little malt, and a boozey quality.
Finish is crisp with a decent bite to it with a very earthy floral after-taste.
Drinks incredibly well for being wine strength, there is a noticeable alcohol bite, but this beer is an impressive feat.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured reddish orange with a thin white head. No real lacing.

S - Smells like hops with a hint of alcohol.

T - Hops, sweet malts. Hops were so strong I didn't get much else.

M - Syrupy and viscous. Just a bit of carbonation.

D - It killed the taste buds pretty quick.

2.23/5  rDev -45.6%

Poured a murky dark amber with a smallish head. Aroma of hops and alcohol. Accents of booze, hops, and cough syrup. Mouthfeel likewise similar to syrup. Drank it slow and tried to think of it not as a normal beer, but this did not help. Way too sweet and viscous for my taste. A shame, as I was really looking forward to trying this beer. My dropping $12 on a 12oz is testament to that. A big disappointment all around.

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

12 ounce bottle, most expensive of that size I have bought.

Appearance is a dark golden color with a smallish head.
It smells boozy, some vinegar, some sweetness. The taste is carbonated, molasses, sugar, hops, very thick. Mouthfeel seems to be a combination of a strong barleywine and a DIPA with an extra couple punches. This beer is serious, as you could easily see just be looking at the ABV. Drinkability was fine for one of these. I was glad that I finally had one, a very unique and good beer.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Shared this earlier tonight with a friend and was pleasantly surprised. From all the reviews I'd read I was expecting something not quite my taste. Poured a beautiful golden/orange beer with very little head. Smelled of hops, alcohol, honey, and fruit. Tasted wonderful, almost like a cross between beer and port. Mouthfeel was exceptional, going down incredibly smooth with just enough carbonation. Incredibly enough, I drank my half pretty quickly and found myself wanting another, though had I had a whole one to myself it may have been a different story.

1.2/5  rDev -70.7%

I'm under the impression at this point that my review is unfair as I believe I got an outdated bottle. There is an overwhelming taste of vinegar in this beer inducing gag reflex in every sip. I simply can't finish this beer. Again, I may have gotten a bad bottle.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Pours a gorgeous orange / dark amber with a thin white head.

S: HOPS! Lychee flavors galore. Resonant fruit-flavored hard candy sweetness permeates the background.

T: Gorgeous barleywine taste with freshly made caramel and sugar cane. Hops slowly ease in and then saturate the palate. The sweet malt to hop taste conversion is perfect. Every drop of this radiates with flavor and juiciness. Aftertaste is somewhat phenolic and reminiscent of Lillet. I think this is what people are referring to when they say "sweet, sweet beer".

M: Extremely heavy wth an oily and slick feel as it enters the mouth and goes down.

D: This is one stellar brew, meant only to be sipped. At $10 a bottle, this was completely worth it.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

Served in a snifter, my first taste of this famous and infamous brew.

A: A dark copper-orange color, which is quite pretty. No head to speak of, naturally.

S: Interestingly, when I smelled first out of the bottle, I smelled only hops, and I was really excited. When I poured into the snifter, it really came alive, and not entirely in a better way. Some very strong paint-thinner edge, which is essentially the primary aroma.

T: Extremely sweet up front, tastes an orange-lemon-hop syrupy extract. It is a little bitter on the finish, but no nearly enough to balance the crazy sweetness. I do like some things about it though, and the taste is definitely more agreeable than the aroma to me, as the paint-thinner parts were able to translate to non-paint-thinner flavors.

M: Extraordinarily slick and syrupy, yet I wouldn't say it is undercarbonated at all. In fact considering what the 21% ABV might predict in regards to carbonation I'd say the carb levels are much higher than expected, and I think that is important and helps the beer a great deal.

D: Drinkability is probably the most subjective category, because there isn't really a good definition to go off of in the first place. Can I drink it? Definitely, it tastes good and I paid a premium for it. Can I (or anyone really) have more than one? Very unlikely, not to mention I paid a premium for it. But considering the extremity of the beer, I think drinkability is average.

A very interesting beer. If I didn't dislike the aroma so much, I think I really would have liked it. Maybe next time I'll leave it in the bottle ;)

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Had this after a DFH 60 minute and 90 minute IPA.

Bottled on 11/06/08. Reviewed on June 4 of the following year.

Pours a beautiful, rich copper with a fizzy, clingy head which dies down to a thin film and then dies down to nothing at all. Some lacing but nothing to write beer advocate about.

Smells like brandy and canned pears, maybe some apricot. For something that was supposedly dry hopped every day for a month I'm surprised how little hops I pick up in the nose. I just get sweet fruity booze. No bad thing. It smells good. Just not like any dry hopped Imperial IPA I've ever had before.

Holy estery esters of estrosity batman! Tastes like candied pears drizzled in brandy. Some bitterness. A super hit of dizzyingly warming alcohol with every sip. Fruity and boozy are the two words which best describe this. Almost more like a sweet mead than a beer.

Mouthfeel is full...and sticky. It kind of coats the tongue with sugar and numbs it with alcohol. I'm finding I need to sip some water in between sips of this. Yeah. This is a beer to savour slowly. Very slowly.

Alas, if this is the holy grail for hops heads that the label suggests then I did not choose wisely. Because, honestly, it's decidedly unhoppy. It's more than anything sugary. If it's in any way bitter it's far more cloying and the saccharine beats the bitterness by a longshot. And holy fuck is it ever alcoholic

American Double/Imperial IPA? Not really. A double imperial quadrupel india pale eisbock barley wine brewed with yeast that was on steroids....maybe. If beer is a social lubricant than this is more like a social anesthetic.

Sam Calagione is the devil. I mean that in a good way. I could see this beer being even better with some age because it sure kicked me in my ass, and I'd love to try it again after it mellows out a bit.

2.65/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter.

A - Poured a dark honey colored with some haze to it. a .5 in head that left quick and left a nice thin mat.

S - Smell initially of some pears and peaches. Then the warm alcohol gets in there.

T - Taste is very fruity and sweet. Alcohol quickly warms the tongue. There are some hints of pale malt in there with bread hints and then subtle hops after tastes and floral hints. Most of these come at the end of it. Honey sweetness is extremely present.

M - Very oily and full bodied. Complex.

D - Not my favorite. Its a nice experiment to have once but I prefer other IIPA's

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

A- pours golden brown with no head. Looks like apple cider, actually. Cloudy/milky appearance, like coffee with a creamer or unfiltered apple juice.

S- Like smelling concentrated hop oil. You've never smelled a beer like this.

T- WOW. Taste kicks you in the face. What's surprising, though, is you taste the hops and a sweetness, but you don't taste the alcohol. You can taste it, however, after you exhale. This is more like 'hop juice' than it is a beer. This really is the holy grail for hop heads.. You have to try this just to experience the first sip. After the initial shock wears off and the alcohol numbs your tastebuds, the beer gets a little mellower and the flavors start to really work well.

M- Very nice, considering the alcohol content. Not too carbonated. Warm going down.

D- I'm mixed on this, it goes down very smooth considering it tops out at 20%, which is insane. You're better off splitting a bottle or only having 1 12 oz for yourself, though. Doing 2 of these in a night would almost certainly cause you a lot of problems. About 1/3 of the way through, my head started feeling really warm. This packs a ridiculous punch, which is compounded by its drinkability.

Final thoughts: I buy 4-6 of these a year. Good for a special occasion, but more than 1 of these a month and you'll overdo it. Still, these store every well, I have put a couple in storage and have been satisfied with how well they sit. Dogfish hits the bullseye with this beer and show again how they are on the forefront of brewing. An extreme extreme beer on steroids, this beer is not for the weak. I suggest you develop a taste for some of the higher DIPAs before you try and crack this one.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Hazy liquid in a 12 oz bottle. I didn't have a chance to pour this one in a glass.

S - Very sour apples.

T - Shery, mixed with apples very srtong.

M - Burns, a weid aftertaste that sticks with you ahwile.

D - I gave this a 3.5 - because why would you quickly drink another?

This beer is its own beast, Search it out and drink it just because it is what it is. 21% hardcore fun. While on a beer scale it is not number one, it should at leat be tried once!!

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Yeah, it's good, but I'm surprised that it's not even better. Maybe, I just fell victim to the hype or I'm making untoward comparisons, but at 21% abv, this beer should be better. I'm not slamming 120 min. I thoroughly enjoyed my bottle. It was delicious and probably a testament to the skill of the brewery that the alcohol is felt so little. However, at 10% abv higher than the best DIPA in the world (Pliny the Younger, in my experience), I was expecting some sort of extreme flavor or something otherwise outlandish. The mouthfeel isn't even as thick as many a much lower proof barleywine. At any rate, the beer is a fairly thick golden liquid with a good head. The hops dominate with a citric-orange flavor, but the malt isn't terribly far behind with an excellent caramel sweetness. The beer is fairly sweet but, shockingly, never cloyingly so. I may not understand Sam Calagione and co., but they are very, very skilled brewers. This beer was very good, just not at all what I was expecting.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

minimal head. hazy dark amber body.

very fruity boozy smells. apricot and a little spicyness do little to mask the booze.

apricot comes through. very boozy still. sweet almost molasses flavors. i think this one borders on the liquior category.

little carbonation and syrupy body. Not my type of beer, but def wow factor.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

As I open this beer I get bombarded with a dose of pinesol smelling hops. It pours a murky copper/brown with some floaters, almost looks like apple cider. A thin white head, some nice lacing.

Smells of really piney hops, sweet citrusy malts, apple cider, wine, vineger, alcohol, very complex.

Tastes sweet and cidery upfront, a nice piney hop aftertaste, not really balanced, seems more sweet than a hopbomb. The alcohol is very well hidden and will creep up on you for sure.

Thick cidery mouthfeel, not too carbonated. This is a sipper for sure, an interesting beer, possibly the strongest beer I'll ever try!

*Update 01/14/2013*

Just opened a beer from June 2009 and wow does this bad boy ever age well! The alcohol is very well hidden, alot of the same flavours come through, but highly drinkable and delicious. I recommend aging this!

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a dark deep copper/orange hue. Lots of head and lots of lacing. Simply looks super thick, sticky and syrupy. Piney, grassy, and grapefruity... all the hop culprits. Slight honey sweetness with an alcohol twinge. Basically a hug hop bomb followed by a HUGE alcohol burn. My tongue is immediately covered by the citrus hops. I'd like to thin we could handicap 20% beers but this thing is a sipper if ther ever was one! it took me 2.5 hrs to finish a 12oz'r

3.35/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

smells and tastes very sweet (almost too sweet) and very alcoholly. very syrupy and a sipper only. I had to try this due to the hype but honestly it's not worth it. I love beer and can drink a lot but I can't drink much of this 12oz bottle and will toss the 2nd half. I can't finish this and will have something else instead.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass!

Appearance= Deep orange, crystal clear. One finger of off white head slowly dissipated into a thin film and eventually disappeared all together.

Aroma= intensely complex- a mix of alcohol, rich malty sweetness, caramel, and piney/resinous/citrus/grapefruit hop notes merry together in the nose. almost smells like cognac.

Taste= malty sweetness hits the front of the tongue first, followed by a myriad of flavors (similar to aroma) from the over-the-top amount of hops used in the creation of this beer. hop bitterness tickles the sides and back of the tongue. finishes with a relatively good balance between bitter and sweet- though the bitterness and dry hop flavors linger on the back of the tongue for quite some time as the malty sweetness fades.

Mouthfeel= medium to low carbonation, slightly syrup-like, with a complex and full body. slightly warming from the alcohol content.

Drinkability= dangerously drinkable for a >20% ABV beer- though the cognac-esque nature of the beer begs you to sip and enjoy slowly! increases in aroma and flavor as it warms. do yourself a favor with this one- take your time and soak it all in...Cheers!

2.08/5  rDev -49.3%

i have herd alot about this beer

i read the bottle it claims to be the "holy grail for hop heads" all i tasted in this beer was SWEET and BOOZE a little hop after taste but i was truly unimpressed with this beer i really had to struggle to finish it and thats hard for me to do

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a crystal clear golden with a white head that fades to a persistant film. Smells like super sticky hops, very piny and sweet grapefruity. The taste has two aspects, sweetness and bitterness. It is dominated by the sweetness. I can't taste a single hint of alcohol which is surprising. Mouthfeel is great, very syrupy and smooth. Drinkability is huge.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from bottle into Tulip.

A. Beautiful orange color. 1 finger head. Not much lacing at all. Some particles floating, lots of bubbles rising from bottom of glass.

S. Hops, alcohol, malty sweetness, some citrus notes as it warms.

T. Massive amounts of the following: hops, alchohol, sweetness from malt, toffee notes from malt. Finishes very sweet.

M. Full bodied. Leaves a tongue coating sweetness. Some alcohol burn. Candy coating left on the lips.

D. For 21% I have to say that its pretty drinkable. It is a sipper for sure. Might be a little too boozey for it to be a regular drinker for me. You can not deny the fact that this is a unique and interesting beer.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery