120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

The appearance was a nice orange/copperish hue with little head, but after a swirl showed some killer lacing!

Sent was boozy; Some floral and citrus notes upin the mix

I was expecting a little more hop profile. I really reminded me of a decent barley wine. Sugary sweetness upfront with some piney bitterness in there as well.

the booze burn..

For being such an alcohlic brew it's really masked well. The sugary aspect really helps with this. Still when i drink 120, it doesn't remind me of a big IPA, more booze and barley wine feel to it

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

Being a big fan of Dogfish Head and their IPAs in general, I wish I could have this beer more often, but it usually sells out quick at our local stores. Our neighbors and I had this when we came over for dinner, and the aromas and taste both put us in our place. This is an excellent beer! I have the 90-minute and 60-minute pretty regularly, but this was only my second time having the 120-minute.

A - Pouring into a glass, the beer itself is a light amber color with a solid ring around the top. The foam disappeared relatively quickly once we began drinking.

S - Spicy and sweet, with bitter notes in the smell. The aroma also had some Vanilla, similar to DFH's Palo Santo Marron. The smell of alcohol was faint, but there.

T - When you try a massively hopped beer like this, you expect it to be bitter. What I didn't remember was how sweet it tastes. There's very little alcohol at cool, but not cold temp (~55 degrees). First taste was sweet with some bitter hops, later tastes felt like vanilla and alcohol. Overall the taste is sweetness and some spicy undertones. Alcohol taste was there, but very low for something with such high ABV. Very good, but a sipping beer - drink it slow.

D - For such a specialty beer, this is very drinkable. The high ABV may seem like a barrier, but my friend and his wife both found it to be easily paired with dinner. Anyone who enjoys IPA should try this beer.

If you like IPAs, this is a beer for you, if only to taste what something with this much hops really can taste like. My heat is off to DFH for making such a consistently excellent beer that is very complex. I hope to have many more in the future.

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

I picked up a bottle of this at Lee's Discount Liquor and poured it into a Duvel tulip. Label read Bottled On 5/1/09.

Appearance:
Poured a very copper and amber in color, with very little head. Left some mild lacing while drinking.

Smell:
I couldn't quite place it, but it was like a sweet and sour smell. Strong citrus and alcohol smell was noticeable.

Taste:
The 120 was incredibly sweet with a lot of apple and honey flavor.

Mouthfeel:
The beer was very smooth with very fine effervescence, while not feeling overly carbonated.

Drinkability:
The beer really hides the alcohol well. I'm not sure if it was the ABV or the sweetness, but this was a struggle to finish. My stomach was really feeling it after.

After having the 90 Minute last week on draft, I was really surprised at the difference in the 120. This tasted much more like a barleywine to me as opposed to an IPA. Next time I have this I'll need to split it with a friend...maybe for dessert!

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Damn 20% later and I'm feeling great! On tap at Sierra last november. Dark syrup heavy nose like your gonna have a cordial. The hops are crazy in this one, its a one time thing that if DFH made once a year I'd be happy with it. Tons of hop and flavor plus a great balance make this worthy of aging a long time.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Light, transparent amber with bubbly white head. Aroma of booze, apples with cinnamon, and spices. Tastes of apples, booze, booze, and more booze, and some spices and caramel. Light-medium body and not that drinkable. Liquor characteristics such as alcoholic sweetness. Sips tastes like shots.

Got a gift of a 120 min from 2003, aged 8 years.
Deep orange with bubbly white head. Aroma of citrus, candied apples, pears, bubblegum. Citrus, apples, bubblegum, booze, slight hop echoes. Amazingly smooth and enjoyable. Syrupy mouthfeel and light carbonation. It's amazing what aging can do! The alcohol is tamed by tasty malt and becomes rather drinkable and enjoyable.

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

An amazing treat of THREE day old bottles, hand delivered, personally by Sam, to a tapas brunch in a state that doesn't allow beers of this ABV! ;-0

A-Bright, clear, golden copper with a medium off-white head that reduced to a thin cap and left nice lace.

S-Bold blast of bitter citrus rind, caramelized apricot and a spicy zing. Rich, sweet caramel malt, maple syrup and a touch of alcohol burn.

T-Initial smack of bitter citrus rind and tropical fruit bowl hops ending with a spicy pine bite. Rich, sweet caramel malt, brown sugar and maple syrup sweetness. The overall freshness let the hops be the showcase, an usual occurrence regarding 120 Minute!

M-Medium, sharp bitter bite, syrupy smooth and decadent! I can't say I have ever had a 120 Minute that tasted so "light" and bright as this one.

D-Outstanding! But, the ABV will keep this one down to a snifter or two at best. If I wasn't told this was 120 Minute I don't think I would have believed it. So bright and fresh....tasty for sure!

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

A-golden amber color that pours a one finger white head that dissipates quickly

S-theres a lot in there, citrus and pine hops first, the champagne, pineapple, and sweet bourbon

T/M-wow...this is huge and strong, the alcohol is very present, it is smooth and extremely full bodied, there is citrus, pine resign, tons of bitterness up front but it actually mellows as it goes down, there is a malt backbone, a slight bourbon taste, not much carbonation. A slight warming from the alcohol.

D-I don't know what to say, I couldn't drink more than one, one is actually almost too much. This beer has so much alcohol, big hop taste; but it almost overpowers you. Definitely worth trying, I will age one or two for a few years to see how it mellows; but I wouldn't drink another of a fresh batch. Not that it is bad, definitely one to drink, it is an experience. One is enought.

3.17/5  rDev -22.9%

A: This brew poured a thick looking bronze color with a 1 inch foam head that left quickly. Left very little lacing, if any. If I wouldn't of known...it looks fairly quenching...NOT!

S: Apricots, sour apple with very sweet and malty characteristics. Smells sweet and sticky! The ABV even by nose is almost obnoxious. This just barks alcohol!

T: Not horrible- but personally not a fan and I truly like IPA's. This is a little much unless you're drinking one after a meal as a desert drink! Not as hoppy as it is sweet and sticky! It just coats your mouth. The more you drink of it, the more you feel the tongue coat with a sour apple, honey type sweetness...as well as a step closer to feeling like crap in the morning. It has a very, very strong, sweet aftertaste!

M: Substantial, syrupy, heavy, full bodied with a very high ABV present. Almost a cider type.

D: Honestly- hell no!! 1-2 of these and you're done or you're screaming in the morning. It's just too sweet and syrupy. No way and heck I could or would sit down with this as a session beer.

I'm a huge fan of Dogfish and have been wanting to try this and would of regardless purely based on reputation and chatter. I love the 60 Minute, the 90 minute was walking a thin line with me... but a great beer; and this 120 Minute...too much!! A good beer though if that makes any sense.

Not the best review from me...but still a huge fan of the Dogfish Head Brewery!!

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Wow

What an experience!

Poured into a dogfish head snifter....deep cooper with a finger of head.

Smells of floral hops, malt and alcohol.

Taste- much sweeter than i expected but in a good way. Have to say i have been waiting a long time to try this beer and was not disappointed at all.

Mouthfeel- a little on the heavy side but very good nonetheless

Drinkability- my face is numb after finishing it but no problem finishing it and would gladly drink another. Hides its abv well.

A must try....just splurge one night, spend the ten bucks and experience this monster of a beer.

4.74/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance- golden yellow in color, similar color of a golden whiskey or rum, slight carbonation of the pour, and a nice lacey white head,

Smell- exceptional hop smell, it really jumps out at you with beautiful citrus and and strong hops smell, great smell, couldnt imagine a more inviting smell,

Taste- very sweet malt and sugar mixed with a nice hoppy tone, I really love the flavor of this beer its so enjoyable, extremely sweet and malty with still a nice kick of hops too, Its such a tasty beer

Mouthfeel- heavy thick and syrupy, very smooth, nice coating all over your mouth, and a nice warm finish

Drinkability- Scary drinkable consider what this bad boy brings to the table, a sippers definition should be to try a 120 min, such a unique beer that I recommend every beer lover try it at least once even if you wind up thinking its to much for you, I found this to be thouroughly enjoyable and will definitely try again

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a clear golden amber color. Bold nose of citus and very earthy, spiced hops. Thin white head quick to dissolve. Smelling very sweet malt. Quite a bit of lace initially brought on by the head. Malt/sweet monster of a beer. Huge alcohol astringency and punch. Feel is very syrup-like. Warming finish. You can taste the carmalization of the sugar in this beer as well as smell it through the hops. The spice of the hops is very enjoyable in a very earthy way, not the usual hop bomb grapefruit attack of citrus. Much more sweet than I expected and the hops are not playing the bitterness roll that I thought they would. Very enjoyable. Can't wait to have my next one of these.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz. bottle (dated 11/06/08) poured into Portsmouth tulip glasses:

A: A dark orange with a red tint, topped off with a thin lace of white foam.

S: Apricots, mango, with malty caramel characteristics. The ABV really shows through while presenting a lot of similarities to a Barley Wine.

T: Bitter hops up front that immediately turn into super sweet tropical fruit (Mango, pineapple) glazed in brown sugar. Settles on the palate with flavors of honey, burnt caramel, and maple syrup.

M: Viscous, syrupy, heavy and full bodied with a tingling sensation throughout.

D: It does exist! This one year old 120 min. IPA drinks extremely smooth, and still puts you to bed, and tucks you in. One more you ask... I think not. Good night Beeradvocate.

Cheers,
The Kings Of Hop

3.22/5  rDev -21.7%

OK a friend already warned me that this one is not like any beer I had before, and he was true!
Pours brown and golden with nearly no head with little hard to describe haze, very nice color. Used a wine glass.
Smell is sweet, very floral hops, alkohol.
Taste, hm what say about taste, sweet sticky, thick, very alkoholic, tons of hop aroma.
Mothfeel, again very sweet, very sticky, like liqueur, not bad but very intense.
drinkabiltiy, I had a hard time finishing the 12oz bottle.
But I will drink it again, but only with other people after a hefty meal. I think you need at least 3 people for one bottle do drink as a digestive.

3.47/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I bought at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids for $10.79 in mid October while there on vacation. "Bottled on" date of 11/06/08 with an additional letter "F" after the date, whatever that might mean. Poured into my Three Philosophers 8 oz. chalice. This is one of my favorite glasses which is why I chose it to taste and review this infamous beer.

A Dark butterscotch translucent body with a light brown but brief head that dissipates to a ring around the top of the chalice within a minute although there is trace amounts of head in the middle as well. I really do like the attractive color. 4.0

S Well, this is one hell of a beer already by the smell. Warm alcohol hits me first. That is followed by nice, organic hops smell (could it be the dry hopped aspect of the beer?) and then a nice, deep malt bed which all of this is laying on. 4.5

T Wow...I feel a rush of sweet malt and the warmth of alcohol wash over me in what really reminds me of a hard alcohol drink and the ABV may approach some hard alcohol drinks. Hops, which to me appear after the mid taste of sweet malt and alcohol are bitter but they do not have the prominence that I was expecting after reading the label which announces "What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads." They are certainly awash in the other tastes of the beer. I do not drink hard alcohol so it is difficult to come up with a comparison to another hard alcohol but what few times that I have had whiskey I think that I recall that it had some taste in common with this. Come to think of it, the only thing that they could have in common is the burn of alcohol but I thought I would leave these comments here as it is a true reflection of my thoughts. Its proximity to a hard alcohol ultimately drove down my rating of the taste. I struggled with this rating though. 3.5

M This is one of the biggest beers that I have tasted due to all of these factors. It has a thickness and a syrupy stickiness that is matched by only a few beers. It might even be too big of a mouthfeel, driving down my rating of the feel. 3.5

D Not good as it is such a huge beer and such a high ABV. 2.0

Notes: Well there you have it. One of the most infamous beers out there. I applaud Sam and everyone at DFH for being so extreme. Everyone should try this one at least once.

1.22/5  rDev -70.3%

horrible, horrible beer. smells like really good nail polish remover. imo it's not hoppy. it's extremely floral. lots of cascade used i guess. anyway i'm pissed off by the fact i just paid 6 bucks for this disaster of a beer, and ended up pouring most of it down the sink. i am going to stick with the 60 and 90 which are complete opposites of this beer.

2.16/5  rDev -47.4%

To cut to the chase - I'm rather disappointed. This beer is extremely expensive and not worth the money. I like expensive beer and wine - and often pay the price tag. This is the most overpriced item I've bought in beer, wine, or food.

From a very expensive bottle into an oversized wine glass.

Pours a dark burnt orange turing into an amber the lower the beer is in the glass. Half inch of yellow-white foam that dissipated immediately. No lacing.

Smells of pine, orange rind and other tree saps with a little clove. Interesting, but nothing remarkable. Seems very sweet, and there is no presence of alcohol. If I am to believe the 21% alcohol, it's hidden well.

Taste is very unbalanced, but has the elements of what could be an interesting beer. Mostly pine and sap (see mouthfeel for the other sap part of this beer) and a little bit of bitter orange and sour flavors. Nothing attractive about this beer - especially considering that there is very little food that would be good next to this.

I generally like beers that are refreshing, but that should be prefaced with the fact that I find a big Quad refreshing. But this beer is very poorly conceived for a drinker in mind. The beer is, quite frankly, like drinking sap. The mouth feel is sticky and there should be a great deal of carbonation to balance it, which there isn't.

This beer is an expensive experiment. If you like to try beers you might not like, go for it - but I'd strongly recommend sharing it.

I never pour drinks down the sink unless it's a ruined batch - whether it be beer, wine, or a cocktail. I poured the last half of this down the sink. First, in the hopes of salvaging this beer, I experimented with a plethora of ways of drinking this. First, I warmed the beer in my hands, then I chilled it again in the glass, then poured a bit into another glass and added carbonated water to thin it out and see what flavors remained. I also returned some to the bottle and shook it gently to get more of a flavor release. None of these things brought out any balancing characteristics, but revealed to me that I'm just not a fan of a beer that has been hopped for 120 minutes.

4.87/5  rDev +18.5%

This is a real full bodied IPA. The Brits could have sailed from England to New Zealand and this beer would have not spoiled. I Love it!

A) Beautiful color, lovely lacing
S)The smell reminds me of the lovliest combination of citrus, pine, nuts, and glorious hops.
T) The taste delivers everything the smell promises and more!
M) Very nice...this is a beer you should chew!
D) If you drink more than one, have a designated driver. At 18% ABV, this is not a beer you will want to drink by the 6 pack.

This beer is expensive and worth every penny!

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

Served on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD (11/05/09). Served in a 12oz. goblet at an appropriate temperature.

A: Pours a glowing orange, golden, amber with a slight cap that disappears quickly leaving no real lacing at all.

S: A sweet alcohol hop bouquet that included pine, apricot, grapefruit, and tropical fruit . A sugary-sweet caramel malt came through as well. Smells quite intense.

T: The palate is bombarded with a sticky caramel malt and a intense piney hop with a slight bitterness. Extremely cloying and viscous with a definite sense of the 21% abv. shining through, but in a pleasant warming way. Very complex as well containing tropical fruits, flowers, grapefruit, and orange peel.

M: Quite oily, thick and sticky with a pleasing alcohol burn.

D: I must say that I enjoyed all 12oz. and would have gladly had another, but one must respect of beer of this abv. as it will catch up to you sooner rather than later.

Overall I find this beer to be a great example of extreme brewing at its best. Certainly not a beer to be enjoyed frequently, but certainly one that needs to be experienced at least once. Highly recommended.

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%

Dogfish's 120 is a example of having too much of good thing. For those who have not have had 60 or 90, DO NOT START WITH THIS! A true Imperial IPA, copious amount of pine and grapefruit. It pours a good head in a wine glass or pint. Truly a beer geek's beer...my wife hated this beer.

This is a well-made beer, and I certainly enjoy haivng one every now and then, but more a treat than a beer staple.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on 5/1/09.

A: Dark amber body with an impressively vigorous head which leaves some lacing.

S: Sugary sweetness and alcohol hit you like a ton of bricks. Hardly any trace of hops.

T: Total malt bomb. Caramelly sweetness with a faint trace of hops that show up mostly in the aftertaste. Astonishingly, alcohol is barely detectable. It comes across more like an English barleywine than any IPA. In fact, I'd say the beer I've had that matches its flavor profile the most is Thomas Hardy's Ale.

M: Syrupy, almost sludgy.

D: You know, I'd like to see how this would have turned out if DFH had followed the logical progression and made this 12% ABV. As it is, it's probably the biggest beer the average beer geek will have access to. But don't be afraid. As long as you treat it with respect, it's a gentle giant. It certainly carries its weight more gracefully then WWS. It may not be a very good IPA, but it's an excellent after-dinner beer.

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

I enjoyed this beer on tap at the Hulmeville Inn, located in Hulmeville, PA. It was served in a 12 oz chalice.

The beer poured golden amber and relatively clear for an imperial IPA. I guess the aging of the keg might have added in clarification. Only a trace amount of head.

Very faint smell of hops. Unfortunately the Hulmeville permits smoking, so I can only assume that the true aroma was masked by cigarette smoke.

The first sip reveals extremely bitterness; almost sour taste, with a harsh alcohol presence that slightly burns the mouth. The flavor is vastly complex, malty, with notes of currants. This beer tastes what dank hops smell like. I've smelled some dank IPA's before, but this brew tastes like what other beers smell like.

This beer finishes bone dry with flavors revealing themselves along the way. Amazing beverage, but 12 ounces is a bit much. I would have rather enjoyed it in an 8-ounce snifter. This is truly a beer that should be experienced by any IPA or hophead enthusiast.

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

It pours a medium bright clear orange that is very pretty. The head is a very light tan or off white that only rises about half a finger and is gone quickly. There is light lacing.

The aroma is very strong, bitter crazy, almost so strong you it overwhelms your olfactory senses all once and drives them down so you don't smell it anymore. There is also a light citrus note.

The taste is very surprising, the aroma is totally misleading. The first you get a burst of sweetness of citrus and then get some light hops and towards the end a burst of hops an alcohol. The flavor is very complex but not very remisicant of an ipa or how hoppy I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel is heavy and complex. Drinkability is very good considerin its abv.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. Not sure what year this is but I'll assume its a 2009 vintage. Beer is orange / brown, high haze, thin white head, tiny to medium bubbles, carbonation mild. The beer clarifies as it warm, it becomes almost completely clear, this is chill haze. They should just add "chill haze" to the style description of DIPA since I have yet to have one that does not have this characteristic, and I penalize all of them for it.

Aroma is strong, full of hops and alcohol, malt sweetness, it is a lot to take in. Smells more solventy than I expect, slight deduction.

Beer is very sweet and has a lot of bitterness at the back end. The sweetness is a mixture of alcohol / solvency and malt character. It is very interesting and the hop bitterness is well balanced. This is NOTHING like the 90 minute IPA. Let us be clear, they are different beasts. It is not as thin as I thought it would be and the mouthfeel is really great. This beer is surprisingly (dangerously) easy to drink. Drinkability very high. A well crafted fine DIPA, more like a QIPA. Overall a good drink, this is probably the third or forth time I've had it, still a good drink.

4.15/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Two reviews, one bottle at 3 months old, and another at 1.25 years.

Fresher:

Pours with no head, just a thin wisp of bubbles covering the surface, very hazy golden-peach-pink. Smells surprisingly like an English barleywine, sweet cream balanced with fresh hops, the alcohol shows up, a hotness in the sinuses, but for the abv totally reasonable. Flavor is amazing and vibrant, this thing is HUGE, reminds me of a beer version of Sauternes, all acidic honeyed oranges down the sides of my tongue, super bright golden cherries. Very juicy, the finish is long and mellow with a surprisingly mellow rolling bitterness, looong finish.

Aged:

Pours an 1/8th inch head which fades quickly down to spotty cover and solid ring of bubbles, a little lacing, but tons of alcohol legs. Golden where thin, deepens to peachy-pink. The nose hits me with some alcohol, sweet malts, lightly bready and lemony-sweet. The taste is a little shallow, mostly sweet pale caramel, a sugary-fruitiness. There's a subtle vegetal bitterness in the finish. There's a light alcohol sting on the tongue. Thin, yet coating mouthfeel, like watered down honey, balanced out by a light spritzy carbonation. Seems diminished, but a lot of dogfish bottles go through an awkward middle age to become really great a few years down the road, or so I've heard. One left from this bottling, I'll crack it open in a couple more years.

I'm rating this against the fresher of the two, as I think it's better and a fairer thing to do. I rated the drinkablity of this one a four point five, not that I would ever session this monster, but it goes down amazingly easy considering it's abv.

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into my brand new Duvel tulip. Thick, reddish-orange body. Small foamy head shrinks quickly but never disappears. Small amount of white lacing creeps down the side of the glass.

Aroma is, in a word, heavenly. Very floral (rose petals?) and very fruity (strawberry, peach, cherry). It beckons me from across the room like a scent cloud that forms into a curled finger like in those old school Daffy Duck cartoons.

Taste is ... wow. This is one bad ass IIPA. The intense flavors are almost too complex to describe. I'm getting cherry, orange peel, bourbon and strawberry. Extremely sweet, borderline cloying. Very thick, syrupy mouthfeel. The alcohol at the back end is quite warming, but it doesn't hit me until the last second. Slick on the way down.

Drinkability is way too smooth for a beer this big. But at + 20% ABV, I can't see drinking more than one. Hell, if I had more than one I wouldn't be seeing much of anything.

Dare I say, the best IIPA I've ever had the pleasure of partaking in. Big ups to Kevin's dad for bringing this to me from MD.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery