120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Opened my first 12 oz. bottle of this last night (purchased for $9) and I'm sure glad I have more than this one bottle. Listed as 21% - definately has a high alcohol smell. Smells of hops and caramel.

You can definately taste the strong hops but they are very well balanced. Malts, caramel and sugar are also evident. I agree with some of the othere reviewers that the alcohol is very well hidden...in fact it was surprising to taste after I had the initial smell.

Definately not an everyday beer but nice for special occasions - it almost felt like I was sipping a cognac. I have several more bottles of this that I intend to age, and very anxious to try in another 2-4 years due to the fact it is so smooth now !

I would highly recommend any beer lover to try this at least once.

TheKingofBeers, Dec 18, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Jesus, this is a beer! For around $9 at Total Wine in Boca Raton the price was well worth it...

A: Pours a honey caramel color with a small head that leaves nice retention. Very viscous looking pour! Syrupy and gooey it goes into the snifter.

S: Holy shit! Soo complex...floral nose, hoppy deliciousness, sugar and caramel followed by a perfect balance of sweet malts. The amount of hops is present on the nose, but it smells more sweet than it would be bitter.

T: Holy shit!! Again, a very complex taste consisting of a variety of hops and a touch of malts accompanied by large amounts of brown sugar. The best part of this beer is the incorporation of fruits, namely strawberry, dates, raisins, and a handfull of others. It is a very very very sugary beer

MF: Soo smooth. This beer finishes with a fruity and hoppy aftertaste. Very very viscous (bigger than some stouts I've had).

D: Very high despite the 21% ABV

You know you are drinking a high quality beer when the ABV is 21% and you cannot notice the alcohol. I guess that is why the bottle cap has a Yield sign on it.

scottyshades, Dec 18, 2007

Tried about 1/2 of one of these. I just could not stomach it. It was way to strong for my taste. Thick and syrupy, with very little carbonation. The smell was both sour and sweet, but definitely very earthy and aged-like. The flavors were hard to pick out because the alcohol was so over-powering. I would recommend this beer just to say you've tried it, but not one that I would suggest on a regular basis.

alysmith4, Dec 15, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

This is quite a unique beer in itself. It is by far the strongest I have ever tasted. The strength borders a liquor. The taste and color is exceptional, but this beer is definitely a sipping drink. Maybe 2 or 3 on any particular night is plenty for that night. The smell is very sweet, I like the smell of the beer. The mouthfeel is very sweet also. The drinkability is semi difficult because it is a lighter beer that is very strong. I recommend anyone to try this beer at least once.

jrb1001, Dec 13, 2007

I had the pleasure to enjoy this on-tap at the brewery in Milton.
Served as a bright golden beer with massive white head.
Smell is very, very hoppy and overpowers any other taste sensations.
Taste is unique, to say the least. There is the strong hop character along with a massive malt presence that makes this beer almost like a syrup. Very sticky.
This is truly a one-of-kind beer.
Several ounces is enough, especially if you have anything to do the rest of the dya (or the next day)

tgbljb, Dec 09, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

clear copper, minimal head, no lacing. completely still. tastes a little like you're eating hops. probably the hoppiest beer ever but not all that bitter; I'd guess that's from the equally-overboard, sweet brandy-like alcohol presence. this is a sipping beer by necessity, but the sticky, almost tussin-y aftertaste is difficult to enjoy. at least before the 21% ABV kicks in - at that point you could probably enjoy motor oil.

I would buy a six pack and age it 6-10 years before I tried it fresh again.

p1nt, Dec 08, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into two small brandy snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Bottled on 5/10/07.

A: Pours a relatively clear cherry-orange color. Tiny off-orange head that leaves not a trace of lace. Extremely still.

S: Big syrup-y sweet tropical fruit drenched in caramel sauce smell. Alcohol is quite aparent.

T: See above with the addition of marachino cherries drowned in chocolate.

M: Big and thick. Viscous and syrup-y. Spicy, sweet, and bitter finish.

D: Almost as if it's too big for it's own good. A noble effort that's just pretty hard to drink.

GbVDave, Dec 05, 2007

Absolutely the best tasting beer I have ever had. It is absolutely the hoppiest beer I have ever had. It walks in at a delicious and deadly 18%+. 36 proof beer. I now see why it costs $10 a bottle. It has to be one of the best large extreme beers there are. Every time I can find 120 I will be grabbing some for the vintage closet.

slvrmon82, Dec 04, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

Served in a wine glass, poured from a bottled, bottled date of 10/7/07.

I have been wanting to try this beer for a while and decided that celebrating a new job was a worthy occasion for this pricey beer. $9.99 for the bottle.

Poured a deep deep orange, reminded me of the 90 minute, but more opaque. The smell was sweet and floral. Taste was sweet and tangy. If i were to blindly taste this, i would not think it was an ipa. I agree with some other posters that it tastes like a barleywine.

The first half of the bottle went down smooth and I tasted notes of pineapple. By the 2nd half, I think the booze was kicking in and my taste receptors shut down a bit. However it was very drinkable considering the ABV.

Overall I think is a bit too sweet for my tastebuds. I much prefer the 90 minute which i think is the quinnesential IPA.

Drufus, Dec 03, 2007
2.35/5  rDev -42.5%

Has a very, VERY strong hop taste and smell. An IPA is meant to be hoppy, but this beer brings it to the next level. For any hopheads, this is the beer that all IPA's should be judged by, but for the casual IPA drinker, it can be very overwhelming in many aspects, one of which being the ABV.

I find the 60 and 90 Minute by Dogfish Head to be better beers and more accessible.

deltatauhobbit, Dec 03, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a hazy amber color with a one finger white head. Very nice lacing. Nose is resiny pine, bready and slightly fruity. Taste is dominated by a very robust, sweet malt backbone. Floral hops, though less than I expected from this super-hopped brew. Taste hides the alcohol very well; there's no bite, but a pleasant warmth with each sip. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy. It's oily and viscous and stays on the palate. I had been dancing around buying this one for some time-- glad I finally did. This is a big beer in all aspects. Though it'd be tough to have more than one in a sitting, I'd gladly have another at a later time.

roller, Dec 03, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: Hazy red with carbonation bubbles streaming up through the beer, small but thick head.

Smell: Brown sugar, molasses, booze, pine, orange.

Taste: Sweetness, a unique orange-sugar-alcohol mix that finishes with a dry bitterness.

Drinkability: After drinking a beer this strong it is usually nap time, and that was the case today.

Found this for $3 a bottle when I took a trip out to Indiana several months ago. I should have gotten more but already was packing a ton of beer in my checked bag. This is a unique experience and a definite special occasion beer. I remember it being different than this when I had it several years ago, but both times it was good.

Mdog, Dec 02, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

"Bottled on 05/10/07 E"

"What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continuously hopped over a 120-minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month."

12 oz brown bottle poured into a tulip glass.

a: A hazy, muddy looking orange brown with a small off-white head.

s: Sweet and boozy, with hints of honey, pine and citrus hops.

t: Flavor is very unique, hard to get a handle on.
Seems more like a barleywine or some sort of malty liquor.
A deep, sweet maltiness upfront, then some oily, piney, citrus hops, and a spicy alcohol finish. Given all the hop talk on the label, I am shocked by its balance.

m: Very thick/syrupy/chewy. Full bodied. Hop oil coats the tongue.

d: Wow! What a beer. More of a barleywine then a DIPA.
Great balance of malt and hops really masks the alcohol.
Never would have believed its 21% abv. DFH really has a unique on here, despite the absurd amounts of hops, malt, and alcohol, no flavor dominates.
Surprisingly drinkable given the alcohol so BE CAREFUL!

BradLikesBrew, Dec 01, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -10%

12 oz bottle.(2003) poured into a Kriek tulip.

Appearance - Poured an amber hue with good carbonation. I wasn't expecting so much carbonation from such a high ABV brew. Lacing was prolonged.
Smell - Citrus & floral notes with strong risings of alcohol...

Taste - Flavour was amazing balanced with bitterness & malt. Infact I was expecting more of a hop bomb, but perhaps after 4 years the hops have mellowed. Would have preferred more hop but maybe not possible given the heavy malt from the high ABV. Nevertheless a very good tasting DIPA.

Mouthfeel - Wow! Almost reminds me of drinking a single malt with that much malt. Alcohol is strong but not too hot.

Drinkability - Given its specs I was expecting an over the top DIPA but it much more subdued especially its hoppiness. Overall a good beer, not a great beer. Glad I tried it however.

DrMalt, Nov 30, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Sampled on tap at The Spot in Bethel, CT and served in a snifter, big props for that
Nice dark copper to red coloration with a small white head that doesn't stick around too long but any head is worth getting excited about on a beer this potent. The smell is alcohol, hops and sweet malt, under-attenuated sweet malt anyway, in that order, it is more like a liquor than beer, without the hops I wouldn't call it a beer by smell. The taste is very much the same as the smell however I'd call it fairly mild in comparison to some of the other extreme beers that I've had. Sure the alcohol is very noticeable, but it isn't overpowering, the sweetness tends to build but doesn't become cloying and there is enough of a hop presence to keep things in check and balance the sweetness, which is one of the places that World Wide Stout by dogfish fails. Mouthfeel is good rich full warming, peppery due to the alcohol and it leaves a residual sweetness and wine like drying sensation that is quite pleasant. Drinkability is ok but not very good, come on this almost isn't beer, definitely a sipper make sure you have no where to go for a while after you order one of these but worth every penny when sampled on draft, if you've only had it in the bottle, seek it out on tap!

fank2788, Nov 30, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

The local beer enthusiast store (deceptively called Liquor Loft) was kind enough to reserve me a few of the Dogfish Head beers released this winter ('07). After picking up an Olde School Barleywine, a World Wide Stout and a much sought-after 120 Minute IPA... I couldn't decide which to sample first.

Waiting a week or so, the 120 became my obvious choice, being not only the strongest but also possessing of a delightful reputation.

Pouring about half into a Delerium snifter, the head was quite faint and was paper thin. The tiny amount of head relegated itself to the edges of the glass and left a very sparse lacing. A clear but deep amber color fills the glass.

The smell was fruity and sweet, highly alcoholic but not overpowering. Notes of citrus and the hop flower's undertone.

Surprisingly, the taste hides the alcohol content remarkably. As both the hoppiest and most alcohol beer I've had to date, I expected an almost cognac/brandy alcoholic taste and mouthfeel.
The taste has an immediate impact of cidery sweet, with a caramel undertones. The aftertaste is a plethora of hoppy explosions on the palette, more like savoring a wine than drinking a beer.

The mouthfeel of this beer is powerful, the hops coating the tongue. Harsher than most beers, this also hurts the drinkability of the beer. Quite obviously, this is a sipping beer in which one serving is enough. Drinking a whole one is akin to eating a hearty sandwich.

All in all an exquisite beer I was glad to procure and delighted to enjoy. The only way to do it justice is to grab one yourself and give it a shot.

brenthaertlein, Nov 26, 2007
2.33/5  rDev -43%

I was excited to try this beer and got even more exicted after trying the 60 and 90 minute, but was sorely disappointed in the 120. It pours a copper/amber with little head which would be expected with some white lacing that stuck around while drinking. The smell was a fair amount of the hops(similiar to 60 and 90), but you could smell a medicinal/solvent aroma. The first taste was like a slap in the face! It is so syrupy sweet that I had trouble swallowing and tasting what else the beer had to offer. The hops aroma and bitterness is there as advertised, but the alcohol sweetness overwhelms the entire beer that there is no balance. I let it warm up some, which balanced the beer a little but not enough.

I enjoyed the novelty of trying this beer, but was barely able to finish even half a glass.

hopsleeroy, Nov 26, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Sample is from bottle labeled: "bottled on 10-10-07", and decanted into my Sam Adams glass. Served at near room temperature.

An average pour produced a 2 fingered creamy head that lasted longer than I expected for a 21% abv beer. Some splotches of lacing appear on the sides of the glass as you indulge.

Nose is absolutely huge .. biggest I've ever encountered. Big hop notes of course, which are of pine, hay, grass and citrus character.
Also present in the nose is huge sweet floral malts, along with the obvious alcohol presence.

Taste is surprisingly sweet (malty) up front, but all those hop aromatics and flavors are battling for your palate. The balance is pretty good, and the mouthfeel is immense. The 120 IBUs are clearly offset by huge malts. This is a very impressive beer, but not one I'd have more than one of at a sitting. First of all, at 21% abv, one is plenty. Secondly, at 450 calories per bottle, it's darn near a meal in a bottle.

I split a case with some friends, and will be cellaring the rest of my 'stash', to see how the beer matures as it ages. I did want to experience it "full force" right up front, so that I had something to compare it to later on.

It took me 2 years to get a sample of this brew from DFH, and I'm not disappointed. Like a fine wine, I will savor these on special occasions. If you can get your hands on some, it is an amazing experience, even if you can only enjoy it once in your life.

Na Zdravje

cooncat, Nov 23, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -16.9%

An intense experience. Definitely one to savour and serve in small amounts. Cloudy golden coloured with a head that fades fast. Intense alcohol and hop aromas that are resinous. The flavour is huge bitter hops - oily and rich with a spike on the back palette. The alcoholic warmth starts deep within the pit of the stomach and travels all the way up to the cheeks. Next time I try it will be in front of a fire with a huge cheese platter.

rizzo, Nov 21, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

12 oz pour into my duvel tulip
pours a hazy amber, with about 4 fingers of head that settles qucikly into a dense lace
Smell is all hops and booze. both stong but a bit more hops.
Taste is firewater, all alcohol, with just an after taste of hops. I was expecting a tongue wrenching hop blast but this just tastes like high octane 60 min. Its good, i can get some citrus, and pine from it, but little to no malt, and it mostly just booze burn.
Mouthfeel is thick, and raw, burns, i like it, but not what i look for in a beer.
Actually a bity more drinkable that i expected, if i broke this down into something like a 8 oz pour into a brandy snifter i could enjoy 2 or three in a night, but 12 ozs at once is a bit much.
Overall a tad better than i expected. I had figured this to be a highly overrated, overhopped, out of balance mess of a beer. Its ot over hopped, it is out of balance but in a good way, I like it, and will probally will keep a couple bottles around to sip on in front of the fire after dinner.

redneckchugger, Nov 21, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance - A dark brown/amber hue. Poured nicely into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle.

Smell - The smell did not represent 21% abv. A mild smell, fruity and nutty.

Taste - WOW. Nature's bounty laid in front of you in a frosty pint glass. The alcohol is masked by a strong sweetness. Doesn't taste nearly as hoppy as the 90 minute ipa, but it tastes sweet and roasty going down.

Mouthfeel - The first sip is like a cool autumn night. Harder to drink as it warms. Not too much carbonation, not too little. It is nice in the mouth.

Drinkability - 100%.

sharpy26, Nov 17, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

This is a great beer but such a different beer that it is hard to classify it in the double IPA category. I bought this at the Milton Brewery and think that it is a great beer, but because of its strong alcohol content and flavor, it does not lend itself to be a session beer.

Aroma: I have a poor sense of smell but you can definitely smell the sweetness of this beer along with its alcohol content.

Appearance: Thin silky head, mahogany red, clear, stain glass like.

Taste: Wow - smooth alcohol taste with a nice balanced sweetness to it, slight bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Mouth feel: A very nice even level of carbonation

pieper, Nov 14, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

I just had to try this at least once. "Continually hopped over a 120 minute boil and then dry hopped every day for a month", sounds reasonable enough...

It pours a thick, beautiful deep caramel orange with a massive, chunky head that just sits there after a heavy pour; very nice for such a high alcohol brew.

The nose is intense, I'm not even sure how to describe it. Heavy orange marmalade, toffee, bubblegum, and a cotton candy-like sweetness; hops are there but very sweet and citrusy.

Taste is incredibly thick and complex. Heavy dextrin sweetness up front, more cotton candy and bubblegum, heavy tongue numbing alcohol, grassy pine notes, wow! This is a huge freakin' beer. Honestly the sweetness is a bit much, and pretty cloying and syrupy throughout. Finish is like sucking on a sugar cube; intensly sweet and hot from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is something like maple syrup, extremely heavy and viscous, with an equally heavy body. Carbonation holds together pretty well considering the amount of alcohol.
I'm not sure about this one. It's extremely syrupy and sweet, and the hops kind of get lost in all that malt. Pretty good beer overall, and very well done considering it's strength, but probably not something I'll have again anytime soon.

Gizmo, Nov 14, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -23%

12 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions in Oregon for about twelve dollars

Enjoyed this while watching football today, and watched the Colts and Manning completely choke

As far as alcohol content goes, this was the strongest beer I have ever had, it pretty much knocked me on my backside

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with a orange red color and a soapy white head that was barely visible and settled immediately, left lots of lacing though

Smell was grassy-like hops with some grapefruit and oranges, could definitely smell the high alcohol content, strong citrus smell mixed with strong but sweet malt

Taste was alright but nothing like I expected, did not taste like much of an IPA to me, hops were overpowered by the malt and I could really taste the booze in it, too sweet and not bitter at all, could have really used some dryness, tasted more like a strong ale to me because of the excess malt, smell was a little piney but this was not evident in its taste, I was hoping for this to be bitter and was disappointed, cannot expect much taste out of something that is so high in ABV though, not bad but not great at the same time, they should make a new category for this type of IPA because it is like nothing else I have ever had

Not much carbonation but taste stuck around for a while because it was pretty potent to begin with

Could not drink much more of this, maybe half of another bottle, heavy and over twenty percent alcohol which is just crazy

Recommended just to say you have tried, strongest IPA you will ever have, be will be able to tell that this boiled for two straight hours based on the strength of its taste

Floydster, Nov 12, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

I have had this bottle for a while. Why tonight? I just don't know, maybe I am an alcoholic? No more like I was dissapointed going down the Sprecher 2xIPA tract. Anyways I have been meaning to try this one for some time. At $10.49 for a 12oz, I don't know how often I will be having this. It may be a one time thing, so here goes.

A-Pours a clear reddish brown. Aggressive pour yieldsa a cream coloured soapy four finger head. The lacing and retention are phenomenol. Streams of vertical lacing cling to the sides of the glass.

S-Bracing piney hops intermingling with a potent sweet malt and alcohol kick. Potent to say the least.

T-Hops at first, followed by a very sweet caramel and alcohol soaked malt. A nice toasted bread quality comes through as well. The alcohol is very warming as can be expected of something so strong. Definitely a sipper, but does that even need to be mentioned? Some spicy noted also come through, a sort of generic quality though without anything jumping out at me. Aftertaste is very bitter with a bit of drying from the %

M-Not as syrupy as I thought. this is actually slightly above medium bodied but akin to many other 2XIPAs. The body is actually lighter than the 90 minute.

D-This is a night cap sipper, maybe even one to share a 12oz bottle. This is a very tasty brew but the alcohol prevents you from drinking more than one. It is basically like drinking a pint glass of liquer. While tasty, this is much more of a novelty than something I would seek out.

sleazo, Nov 09, 2007