120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,022
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Served in a tulip glass. Slightly opaque apricot colored with a thin orangey head that requires a vigorous pour to rise up, and then settles out quickly.

Vaporous aroma of cinnamon and ripe fruit, brown sugar and sweet citrus.

Flavor of orange liqueur, boozy and brandyesque. Big malts emerge followed by an alcohol warmth, and some grapefruit rind spiciness and bitterness. Grainy sweet malts linger. Not as hoppy as I expected.

Fairly full mouthfeel, warm, tingly on the tip of the tongue and cheeks.

Pretty drinkable for its bigness, obviously not a session beer, but I expected more hops. Good sipper, it's almost a sipping liqueur.

far333, Jun 07, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Just days after trying my first bottle, I find this beast on tap at Papago.

Super-attractive appearance, just a lovely double IPA: orange, creamy looking head, chill-hazed. The aroma is very strong; it blew away another massively hopped double IPA. The hops are so pungent that it's almost like smelling mustard seeds, just very potent and amazing.

Seems a little hoppier in the mouth than the bottle did, with a little less of the sweetness from the malt. It's still terribly difficult to drink, with a ton of booziness, but the 120 Minute is a truly incredible experience.

BretSikkink, Jun 06, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -23.2%

I've wanted to try this for quite some time and last night I finally got my chance. I love the work that Dogfish Head does (especially the 90 Minute IPA) but this one was a bit over the top for me. I found the alcohol overwhelming. I love beer but I don't enjoy hard alcohol and this one felt like a big glass of the hard stuff so it wasn't my thing. I'll just go back to the 90 Minute and save Dogfish Head the extra time.

GJ40, Jun 05, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Finally got a bottle of 120 minute ipa... Wow.... this stuff is intense...

The color is a dirty orangeish brown with la thin white head. Smell is of tangerines and pine. The taste is intensely of apricots, even moreso then aprihop which is weird since that is actually made with apricots with an intense bitter hoppy finish. The mouthfeel is slick with an incredible alcohol burn. This is a beer I wouldn't mind again but there is no way this could ever qualify as a session beer... Way too strong for that.

Anyway between 60, 90 and 120 minute ipas, the 90 stands out as my favorite as it is more intense and flavorful then the 60 minute ipa, but the 120 minute ipa is almost too intense for everyday.

hdofu, Jun 04, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

2007 Vintage.

Appearance: Pours a clear, amber body with a tight inch of off-white foam. Impressive that it can even form and sustain a head with all that booze in there.

Smell: Whoo! Even upon opening you get a whiff of alcohol-soaked hops. Very apricoty, maybe a few golden raisins. Leafy and tremendously resiny hop character and, of course, an excessive, though exciting amount of fusel alcohol.

Taste: Whoo-boy!! Ultra sweet, incredibly juicy apricot taste. Searing alchol presence upon that first sip, but give it some time, friends, that'll pass. Sharp flavors of ruby red grapefruit citrus oils and pine resin. Still, though, I get alot of apricot. All of the high levels of malt, hops, and alcohol push and shove each other around without letting one quality sit on the tongue for too long. The grapefruit and apricot come together, become morphed, and start tasting of mango and passion fruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-low carbonation. Sticky yet also pretty warming.

Drinkability: A sipper, for sure, but a good one. Really holds itself together fairly well for being packed to the gills with malt, hops, and booze. Like it or not, it's hard not to be having a good time when you finish the bottle.

ChainGangGuy, Jun 03, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

A - A golden redish beer when poured left very little head, whisch disapated quickly.

S - Hopes that is all that needs to be said.

T - Very hoppy with pine and citrus notes. But this beer is dominated by hops. Aftertaste you feel the alcohol of this beer.

M - Very clean and crisp tasting.

D - Nice to have one possible two but this beer is the beer for hopheads and would be very hard to session.

rpardon7, Jun 03, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a pint glass. I have a tulip, but I didn't have it with me at the time, dammit.

4.0 A: Rich orange amber in color. Quarter inch head.

4.5 S: Somewhat woody, caramel. Sweetness is there for sure. You can smell the alcohol, but not nearly as much would be expected from a 21% beer.

4.5 T: Hardly bitter, unexpected from an IPA. Sweetness comes through. Alcohol isn't overpowering at all. Woodiness very apparent. Otherwise delicious, very delicious.

4.0 M: For a 450 calorie beer, it feels lighter than expected, but still very rich. My mouth feels happy, but not ecstatic.

5.0 D: I think I could easily drink another and enjoy it just as much. For that and the alcohol content, this is an exceptional drink. One of most drinkable beers I've ever had.

I'd have to say that this is a great beer, but not worth the $9.00 pricetag per bottle. One day when I have more money, it won't be a big deal, but right now it is (college student). I would recommend Dogfish's Palo Santo brown ale if you want a high flavor beer that's less hard-hitting on the wallet.

Dogfish head seems like it can do no wrong. I've loved 6 of the 7 beers I've had from them.

DavoleBomb, Jun 03, 2008

12oz bottle poured into a pint

A cloudy orange amber with a rocky, bone white head that had significant lacing.

Massive hops here. Candied fruits: pineapples, grapefruits, mangoes, apricots, etc., etc. I could smell this beer all day.

Very sweet and not bashful in alcohol either. Taste is primarily of sweet candied tropical fruits and a slight toffee-like malt.

Full-bodied with a long sticky finish.

I am a lover of hops and this was even a little tough for me. A definite nightcap.

ColForbinBC, Jun 02, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -22.4%

The 120 Minute poured a cloudy orange with a soft pillow foam head with very some sudsy lacing.

The aroma was sweet off the bat. Slight tinge of pine. Caramel smells. Grapefruit. Blood oranges.

The taste was a tad alcoholic. It is quite overwhelming at first. It was really sweet like eating a piece of candy. I think you only have a few drinks to take your notes because the senses loose touch with reality quite quickly.

While it was really in your face with the abv, it maintained a smoothness to it. After I finish I know there will be no taste buds left till tomorrow to rate a beer. Definitely one and done. It was smooth on the tongue but it burned the roof and the sides.

Overall not a bad beer and worth trying but I probably won't buy it again due to the extreme cost for the return.

cswhitehorse, Jun 01, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

Nose on the beer is increadible. Smells like fresh hops! Thouroughly enjoyed kicking back and sipping out of a snifter. The taste was exceptional, very fresh with little after taste. Very well balanced, the high alcohol content does not effect the taste of the beer.

hopheadsal, May 31, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

The bar I frequent got a 1/6 keg of this, so I was very excited. I knew it was rare to find this beer on tap anywhere.

A: Pours a cloudy, amber body with a nice, white head with excellent retention and excellent lacing along the sides of the glass all the way to the finish.

S: Smelled a little sweet and fairly malty. Not too much of a hop presence noted in the smell.

T: A very strong alcoholic taste. Any note of malts and hops were overpowered by the high alcohol content of this beer. While most people find this beer appealing because of it, I feel that it takes away from the overall enjoyment of the brew.

M: A very good, smooth and silky mouthfeel that was very pleasant and went down easy.

D: This beer would be a whole lot better if the high alcohol content was not as evident in the taste. I understand that 21% is ridiculously high and that it would be a challenge to mask it, but the alcohol content needs to be hidden a little bit in order to truly enjoy the greatness of this beer. While it was smoother on tap than it was from a bottle, alcohol content is still way too evident.

maddogruss, May 30, 2008

picked this one up (along with world wide stout) as a bonus for buying a case of chimay red.

pours a cloudy dark orange color with a thin head. lots of grapefruit on the nose. smells crisp. no hint of alcohol yet.

taste is not typical of a dipa. very sweet and not very hoppy up front. sort of an orangey/toffee-y flavor. there is a nice alcohol kick and warmth, and a lingering dipa burn at the end.

Like the World Wide Stout, this is an excellent dessert beer. It's unique and tastey, but in no means typical for the style of a dipa.

perfectkaos, May 29, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy dark golden orange with a creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is surprisingly subdued - caramel malts, fruits, spicy hops and a little alcohol.

The flavor is strong sweet sugary malts, some fruits (melon and fig) and some alcohol and a touch of hops in the finish. The alcohol is noticeable but I'd never guess this was 20%. It is warming in the tummy though and does become a bit harsh as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium to full and with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an interesting beer. The alcohol is surprisingly not dominating, but it is cloyingly sweet and the hops are not that noticeable. The alcohol gets balanced well by the sweetness of the beer.

Beaver13, May 26, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

The second time around on this beer since last summer and it is still amazing. Opened a 12 ounce bottle late one night and was totally blown away. It is a hazy beer from excessive dry-hopping and long term bottle conditioning. But it is that good, heavy type of haze, more intriguing than a poor chill haze turn-off. The smell is amazing: hops, hops, and plenty of booze hit the nose square as the beer is held. One can open a bottle of this in a wide room and everyone will smell it without putting it up to their nose. Slight vanilla undertones to the massive floral hop notes in the nose of this beer. Also, slightly sweet in the nose, I'm not sure how to describe it, but the beer is definitely not all hops. The taste is I feel described above: massively hoppy and boozy, yet strangely tempered into a hazy brew, easy to drink. Mouthfeel is actually a big thin; makes me wonder what they left out of this beer. Probably nothing; probably I'm a Russian Imperial Snob, but for such a heavy duty beer I was a bit dissapointed. Of course, drinkability is phenomenal. If this beer was produced "en masse," we'd be a community of drunks. Defintely one of my favorite beers.

DunesBrewer, May 24, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a very hazy, opaque orange/amber color with a thin layer of slightly yellowed head. Head has very poor retention and leaves no lacing.

Aroma is very nice. A strong hop presence, with a sort of citrus/pine combination that's kind of funky. Also a bit of alcohol present, which isn't surprising at 21%abv.

The taste is interesting. Not really what I was hoping for. The hoppiness is extremely low, at least for what I expected. It's sort of sweet with a mild citrusy hop, and a lot of alcohol warmth. Actually, alcohol is pretty much all I taste. It was way overdone! Although a lot of people don't like to age DIPA's, I think I would go ahead and throw this on in the cellar.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy with a subtle carbonation bite.

Drinkability is low. Alcohol is ridiculously high and the flavor isn't really that great. Again, I'd like to see what it does with a few years on it. Don't judge my low rating too harshly. it just doesn't seem appropriate for the style. I kind of like it.

Goliath, May 20, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8%

Pretaste Notes: This is the famed 120 Minute IPA. I've been trying to find this for a while, and I finally got my hands on one the other day. It says on the label that the beer "ages well," and that one can lay this beer down for "about a decade." However, I'm moving out of the country and will probably be unable to cellar it in one place for any extended amount of time, so I will go for it now. After all, it does say on the label that it is perfectly OK to "enjoy now"

Appearance: Poured from the 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle is very classy looking, simple and clean, with a painting of a hop displayed above the logo. Told how it's made on the side of the peach colored paper label. The beer is a bright orange with shades of red. After a hard pour, the beer achieved a little less than 2 fingers worth of off-white head with little retention.

Smell: A great introduction to this beer experience. The huge hop aroma is noticeable from over a foot away. After swirling the glass, a surprisigly fruity aroma rises from beneath the immense piney and citrus-smelling hops. For a beer this hoppy, the sweet smell was not expected but definitely not unwelcome. Surprising balance, while still preparing you for the hop bomb that is sure to follow.

Taste: Huge flavor, even from the smallest of sips. Interestingly, there is a huge amount of balance as well. The beer starts out with an unexpected maltiness of all things, leading into a sweet berry fruitiness. Then the hops just take over everything. Spreading to every corner of the mouth and throat, citrusy flavors of orange and grapefruit fade in and out of the immense bitterness, along with a big sprucy pine flavor. The beer finishes with a big alcohol dryness that wasn't unexpected that leaves the toungue tingling and a slight burn in the throat, along with the lingering flavor of fruit and of course the ever-present hop.

Mouthfeel: Thick in the mouth with an unmistakeable alcohol tingle and burn. The sensation left in the mouth after swallowing is a little sticky and oily, as if I just swallowed some tree sap. Delicious, sweet and hoppy tree sap. However, the alcohol comes through and dries everything up.

Drinkability: One. Is. More. Than. Enough. This was one to take extremely slowly, lasting me about an hour to take in the whole thing. The beerevolves as it warms, and the flavors become more intense and pronounced as it reaches room temperature.

Notes: My first experience with this near-legendary beer was a good one. If I can find it a couple more I'd really like to lay them down for a while to see how the flavors evolve over time. Unfortunately, as I previously mentioned, I don't think I'll be able to do that for a while. However, it was still quite the beer when fresh. Overall, this experience did not disappoint. Everything that I expected from such an intensely hopped beer, but also surprising in that I found sme balance and an underlying sweetness holding everything together. Truly, this was more than a drink... Rather a meditation on all things beer, an exercise for the tastebuds and a great opportunity for contemplating the good things in life. Definitely recommended

BucBasil, May 18, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Thanks to jessecarr for a great trade.

Pours fairly thick and builds an eggshell, half finger head before quickly receding into a "barely there" ring. When held up to the light, it's a bright orange and very clear.

I initially smell the hops, I think mainly because that's what I was looking for, but when I delve further into the bouquet of this beer, I smell hints of apple, orange, grapefruit, and rich, sugary syrup.

When wondering what this beer would taste like, prior to opening the bottle and taking in the complex smells, I expected something much hoppier. But, after taking a deep whiff, this is basically what I was expecting. All of the subtle fruit flavors come together as well as the richness I smelled. To me, this basically tastes like a huge barelywine. After the swallow, there's a bit of astringency but no hop bitterness to speak of. The sweetness of this really showcases itself after it warms up, and toward the end I found it a bit cloying.

I love a full bodied mouthfeel, and this certainly has it, but it's on the thinner side of the full body spectrum.

For what this beer is; something pushing the extremes of what beer can be, I think it's quite drinkable but at times cloying. I'd like to have a few more of these around for the occasional nightcap. Cheers.

kinnaird, May 17, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

Orange brown pour with very little head and perfect lacing. Scent is massive with a sweet sugar scent up front with some malts and alcohol backing. A little deeper in the scent lies some citrus and blueberries with a hint of caramel and cinnamon. The taste is ridiculous, powerful sweetness with some alcohol initially, fades into a calm sugary sweetness with citrus and malts weaving through. Mouthfeel is slightly biting, but very smooth. Drinkability is pretty high, too high in fact. A perfect example of a dangerously drinkable beer.

08 bottle reviewed. I will definitely get this again, but I will try an older bottle to see what age does to it.

My favorite thing about this beer is the mouthfeel, and because of it's strength, if you hold it in your mouth, it takes over your senses. After a few seconds it starts to crawl through your sinuses and you pick up some more depth to the scent of this beer.

paco1029384756, May 11, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours crystal clear and coppery orange. Small head fades to a thin ring, with a small archipelgo of film floating in the middle. Swirling produces some leggy bubbles that cling and fall. A few lazy bubbles.

Aroma is of strong alcohol, apple and anise.

Taste is...wow! Huge alcohol, fruit, whiskey/scotch notes, apple jack, brown sugar, herbal/medicinal hops, blood orange, flowers, grapefruit oil. So much going on here.

Mouthfeel is full but not syrupy, strong drying alcohol, tingling on the tongue, but not much carbonation. Obviously, you won't drink a lot, but it is very pleasant and not at all cloying. Dogfish Head continues to redefine what beer is. Not a novelty, but a new category of beer altogether.

firkinhophead, May 11, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

bottled on 04/17/08 poured into an oversized wine glass, first time I'm drinking this and I'm drinking it young

appearance: cloudy orangeish brown, sporadic and light head and carbonation in the glass

smell: lots of berry, citrus and raisins, very fruity, not a ton of alcohol. unexpected

taste: oranges, actually reminds me of grand marnier, there's some berry in there, lots of alcohol on the finish and a minor hop finish that you have to look for but once you find it reminds of lime and flowers.

I am very curious as to how this will age, I'm going to buy another bottle and let it sit for about a year.

mouthfeel: heavy on the pallet, light carbonation, a bit oily from the hops and astringent and warm on the finish.

drinkability: smoother then I expected, and finishs really nicely. rather drinkable for an extreme beer, sure does get you drunk quickly too.

notes: certainly an extreme beer, it's a really tasty beer and it's proof that American craft brewers are the pioneers in the alcoholic beverage department. This is ground breaking and there's nothing else I've ever tasted that can really compare.

Donnie2112, May 10, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +2%

12 oz. bottle. Bottled on date a little rubbed off but I think it says 9/29/06.

A: Nice coppery orange color, cloudy with lots of very fine carbonation rising through it. Not much head.

S: I'm not sure if something can smell syrupy but this does. Smells of lime, alcohol, raisins, dates, not nearly as hoppy as I expected. No floral or grass-like aromas from all that dry-hopping.

T: Again does not really taste like an IPA. Very complex flavors, lots of alcohol, reminds me a lot of a tawny port or other fortified dessert wine. Sweet sugary flavors and dried fruits dominate. Finally some hop flavor at the end.

M: Very good mouthfeel. Syrupy, really coats the mouth. Bitterness kicks in a bit, but less than expected.

D: Definitely a sipping beer. It becomes harder to drink as it warms due to the alcohol, even if more flavors start to emerge.

An extreme brew, no doubt about it.

Phenom, May 10, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well here it is, I fianlly get to taste the covetted 120.

Dark orange hue.

Aroma was purely maltyness, with a faint presence of hops.

The taste had an ethabol bight like none other, and an enourmous presence of dextrins, with very little hop presence.

The body was decent, and had layers of flavors playing off of sherry, and scotch, or a fine brandy. However, this is not what I look for in an IPA.

It was very hard to finish, there was simply too much going on here, I really did not know what to make of it.

I think with the IBU's so much malt was needed, that it became physically impossible to present an true balance, let alone a definite hop presenece.

GFSchwab, May 08, 2008

I finally decided it was time to crack this one open. I tried this beer once before, but that was before I became a BA. I credit this beer with enlightening me as to what beer could be and getting me into reviewing and sampling different beers. Well enough reminiscing...

Emptied bottle into oversized wine glass producing a fingers worth of light beige head that receded but never completely. Had a nice glowing orangish amber color to it with carbonation visible and left a fine lace all the way down the glass from the extremely tiny bubbles. Amazing sweet smell of white grape juice and figs. Sweet tastes of honey and maybe a little raisin or fig in there as well. This beer feels like it's just melting in you're mouth with all of the fine carbonation. I didn't even notice the hops at all until the end where I detected a mild hop bitterness. I don't know how they hide the huge amount of alcohol in this, maybe the sweetness masks some of it. Just as awesome as the first time I sampled this one, truly a great beer but not for the faint of heart and to be enjoyed single serving. Still don't understand how they can call this a double IPA it reminds me more of barleywine, I guess I don't care what they call it it's simply just an awesome brew.

kurtissellen, May 06, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a beer on steroids in every dimension-sweetness, hops, and alcohol. The particular specimen at hand is a 12 ounce bottle served in a Chimay chalice. The beer is a cloudy dark copper orangish color with very little foam. Surprisingly, alcohol does not dominate the aroma, but it is detectable. Sugary sweetness is the primary fragrance, along with caramel apples and some piny hops. The beer is heavy and syrupy on the palate. A sugary sweetness tinged with apricots blows away the taste buds from the outset and doesn't let up. As the beer roils toward the gullet an oily piny hop flavor emerges followed by a significant alcohol warming all the way down. All aspects of the flavor profile linger, especially the alcohol. It would be difficult to toss back a large quantity of these. If the flavor overload doesn't get you, the alcohol will.

I really like the 90 minute IPA from Dogfish Head, but this one comes across as a bit too much, almost a gimmick. Every aspect is over the top. I don't think the flavors meld all that well, rather they come across as a collection individual flavors.

Worth a try, but probably not a regular in the refrigerator.

BeardedBoffin, May 06, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Hop special beer. Open it and you can smell it from a mile away, short of a lime/lemon/orange taste right when it hits the pallet. Then the hops hit the mouth and that is all you taste. Think it might be better a bit aged. Interestingly hard to tell that it is a high alcohol beer when you first taste. Definitely worth buying a bottle if you can find it.

rodcom, May 06, 2008