120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.71/5  rDev -9.7%

My first 120. Was really excited to give this a shot. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into goblet. A beautiful cloudy honey-caramel appearance with a tiny ring of head around the edges. I simply don't have the vocabulary to describe the smell. Very sweet, totally smell the alcohol, but really, really distinct. Very faint hops smell, but then the sweet alcohol fumes take over. The taste is a complex mix of mostly sweet alcohol - brown sugar and molasses - but then there is a surprisingly subtle underlying hop bitterness that holds it together and really keeps things interesting. The hops come through more as the beer warms. Medium body with very little carbonation and a nice oiliness. I would like to see what happens when drinking three of these things in a couple of hours or so. I only had one and it definitely made its presence known. I look forward to sharing this with friends; would probably be incredible with a smoked cheese or good moldy gorgonzola.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a syrupy, murky, orange color with minimal head. Smells of pine, oak, citrus, caramel, very sweet smelling...tons of things going on. Taste follows extremely sweet. Not bitter at all, just very very very sweet. Its definitely a sipper. I drank half and had to mix the other half with other beers in a span of 4 hours or so.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Deep, deep orange with good clarity. Head is thin and goes away quick, leaving these sporadic bubbles that are oily and sticky, clinging like webbing to the side of the glass.

S - Intense, to say the least. Fruit, pine, wood, candied sugar...all of these notes waft up into the nose in a dance of powerful hoppy aromas.

T - Wow. Just wow. I would have never expected a beer like this to be this sweet and smooth. My cousin, with whom I shared the bottle, said it tasted like hops and watermelon. I'm inclined to agree with his observation, as the pine, fruit, floral notes, and downright sweetness of this extreme brew permeate one's palate. Almost no bitterness; finishes oily on the tongue.

M - Almost syrupy, but still well carbonated and smooth. The body is fuller than a RIS and really easy on the bitterness.

D - I'm always using hyperbolic warnings against really drinkable high ABV beers. Well, this time, I really mean it. This stuff is like hop candy, and will destroy you if you're not careful. I shared mine with a friend; you should too. At 21% ABV, you do not fuck with this beer.

overall - I'm probably going to go out next week and buy me a few more of these, and see just how well they age. This is one of the champions of the strong beer realm, and you'd do well to respect its power.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Had on tap at the Shep in Jersey!

Wow. I really have been tryin' to get my hands on this for a while now. I just got back home and went to my local beer bar ... walked in on an Dogfish Head promotion night where this, the 60, the 90, and a couple others were on tap. Ended up getting two goblets of the 120 to start of the night.
There's a little bit of apple on the nose but it mostly just comes through as sweetness- the alcohol is certainly there. I expected a lot from this beer and it didn't necessarily disappoint at all.
The 90 minute is a really complex beer and at times, this rivals it in that regard, but not completely... The hoppiness is there from the start and you know it's a dogfish head brew, that's for sure. There's a lot of sweetness there too with a huge lingering alcohol taste.

As much as this is a sipper, the mouthfeel isn't as big as you'd think. It feels great and goes down just the same. This is a beer to make sweeeet love to (it'll treat you well in return, I swear to god)

Wow! Been waitin' a couple of years to try this at least once.
I bought a bottle of this for 8.99 at total wine and more. I poured it into a goblet to really smell this. It smells so sweet but naughty. naughty meaning it smelled strong in alcohol and you knew this was not chuggable. haha!!

Its color was a dark mustard yellow and really no head to speak of. Smell was sweet. Taste was sweet and very alcoholic. Not hoppy like the other ones dogfish has. Actually this beer has a sweet candy taste to it. A tiny bit of sour taste too. This beer you cannot take a swig of and just swallow, it won't let you. Makes your mouth feel like your sucking on a sweet candy. Let me tell you this, the beer after you drink it, you will be feeling mighty warm from the 21% ABV! I shrugged it off at first then pow it hit me.. this is strong stuff!!

As the beer warmed a bit it still enticed you to drink it up even though it was as strong tasting as it was sweet. Kinda neat.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Medium honey colored with a light to no head. Huge lemon oil honey vanilla nose; nice thick mouth feel with gigantic honey/lemon/ripe apricot, candied/seared lemon flavors that are sweet, malty and very impressive, complex and appealing. A huge beer that gives the unexpected and may well be great with almost any dessert. Extreme nose, taste, flavor and complexities but clearly a beer of quality and one well made. A wonderful experience and perhaps a "one of a kind" beer.

Highly recommended and clearly worth the experience.

Re-tasted: 18% abv. This is 1 of 21 DFH beers tasted 6/13/09 in Los Angeles. Simply put, this is liquid lemon mirangue pie! This beer is huge and extreme in every respect. You either love it or hate. Huge lemon/lemon mousse nose. Medium/light carbonation. Big, full rich mouthfeel of creamy lemon and malt with orange and spice characteristics. Big sweet rich lemon and malt flavors and a thick almost lemon syrup finish. A beer for extreme flavors in foods, amost any dessert or just to sip. A treat! Drink or age.

Served out of a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: orangish-amber color, minimal head

S: some hoppiness, also a hint of ripe apples, then the alcohol hits, which pretty much lingers in the nose.

T: although you do get the taste of hops, it is quickly overpowered by the alcohol strength. resembles the 90 minute hoppiness in a way w/o the crazy ABV%.

MF: alcohol. similar to drinking a liquor, which continues from your mouth down to your stomach.

Drinkability: more like sipibility. i enjoyed it, but this is something i would break out for special occastions, and since i live in a bible-belt state where sale of the 120 is forbidden, i'll have to be satisfied with trips back north to get my supply.

bottom line, another quality, bold, aggressive beer from DFH

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

What a beautiful beer served in a Brandy-style snifter. Reddish brown hue with soft white head that slowly reduced while I was drinking this lovely beer.

Complex aroma creeps up to my nose, outdoorsy, hoppy, fruity, and then a bit of brown sugar or burnt sugar or caramel. Delicious aroma.

Perfectly balanced hop bitterness and the a bit of sweetness not cloying but my friend described it as syrupy. The alcohol warms the back of your throat and you can feel it, but it is not a burning. I enjoyed it more as it warmed slightly.

Full-bodied ale mouthfeel, not watery, but not heavy in any way. I could drink a lot of these but I'd fall off my stool after two.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

I have been dying to try this stuff for a while. Since we can't get it here in GA, I had my cousin from Delaware pick me up some.

Pour into a pint glass. Hazy, cloudy, gold color with very little head. Not a lot of carbonation, but it's cool watching the the bubbles slowly make their way through this thick, hazy brew. This is one of the strongest smelling brews I've sampled. It's very sweet and citrusy smelling. It's almost like a citrus candle. Taste is pretty good. Very hoppy, citrusy. Grapefruit comes to mind. There's also a lot of sweetness is the background. Alcohol is present, but not as much as you'd expect. I mean, it's 20% alcohol, so I was expecting it to be very noticeable. You definitely feel the alcohol as it warms your mouth, throat, and stomach. Mouthfeel is thick and heavy. It's a slightly syrupy brew. Whoa... excuse me. Burps are very citrusy. :-) Drinkability is good. It's something you should try at some point. Can you handle all the flavor and alcohol?? I don't think I could have done this a couple of years ago when I first ventured into craft beer. No one should drink more than one of these per night! It's drinkable, not chuggable!

Very glad I tried this. If this were available in my area, I'd buy for special occasions as a novelty for people to try.

3.46/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a vibrant orange with a tiny cap of quickly dissipating foam. We definitely have a boozy smell here. Lots of sugar too, but it's not covering up the alcohol. I've only smelled it and I feel kind of drunk.

This is an intense beer. I almost wanted to say "complicated", but that's not right. It's not like there are a lot of flavors delicately darting in and out of your mouth or anything. Instead it's BAM alcohol, BAM sugar, BAM hops. Repeat. Then repeat again.

My first impression was simple: "This isn't beer; it's liquor." Put aside for a moment the incredibly high ABV, that's not even what I'm talking about. I'm referring more to the experience of drinking it; it's a lot like scotch or bourbon. The smell hits you hard and you ain't taking anything more than a sip at a time. The deeper you get in the glass, though, you start to pick out the deeper elements.

Sure enough, as the drink went on, it began to recede into a beer-like category for me, but still way over the top, though not necessarily in a bad way. As you get used to the more vibrant flavors, the hops have a chance to come out and you almost notice something you'd call "balance". But not quite.

At the very least, you have to concede that this is one-of-a-kind. I don't know if I see myself coming back to it, but I'm glad I tried it.

3.28/5  rDev -20.2%

A- Pours a nice orange/amber color with about a half inch of white head. I'm surprised this has head at 21%.

S- Honestly, it smells kind of like vinegar. Lots of alcohol, but lots of buttery, citrusy hops.

T- Alcohol! Very acidic. Some hops present. Sugar and honey come through when you can get by the initial alcohol bite. Definitely the most unique beer I've ever had. I'm not sure I like it though.

M- Medium bodied. Goes down smooth. Velvety. Carbonated.

D- Tough drink. I don't think I'm ready for this.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Dogfish 120 Minute IPA...21+ alcohol content. Bottled date of 01/07/08.

A- Very thick dark orange fluid that shows a mildly active head that falls to excellent heavy lacing that sticks to glass. Supernova look in the light mild orange tint in middle and dark firey outer shell of glass. NICE.

S- The beer is over a foot and a half from my nose and I smell it! Heavy sweet sugar scent with thick overtones of Malts and hops. Very appearent hop oil smell with alcohol esters obvious.

T- Severly complex in flavor that is combined with every flavor in mind. Starts with heavy brown sugar thickness, massive malt body, followed by a alcohol warmth, finishing with a great hop bitterness tart and tang.

M-D- Thick and very alcohol feel and taste. It's my favorite "can you?" beer. Can you drink it all like any other? Yes I can! Heavy malts and hops can almost crush any average drinkers palate. I personally can down the whole damn thing in about 15 mins. Hardcore flavor means a need for a hardcore drinker. Like light beers? Dont waste the money on trying a true massive hopped and aged beer like this.

Note: Love Hops? Go for it! Just bought out the last of 08 120's in local store.

Note: 5/31/09 Had 5/02/09 bottle i recommend that you keep it for at least a year before drinking. Very mild stuff at first.

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Dark, dark reddish brown, can not see through the beer. The appearance somewhat resembles apple cider. Very thin layer of head on the pour.

S: Apple, wood, and a funky/sour smell - like it has over-fermented and turned sour, probably the smell of the immense amount of alcohol.

T: The alcohol flavor dominates this one. I do get some apple cider and pear flavor. This does not taste like an Imperial IPA, but I will rate it disregarding the style. As the beer warmed up I picked up a hint of orange flavoring.

M: Medium to full bodied, and it doesn't leave much oiliness/ stickiness on the tongue or in the mouth.

D: The funky/ sour flavor gets to me a bit, plus the abv is so high. I could only have about one of these in any given night.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

This should have a category for WOW so it would score better. I don;t love it as much as I respect it. Amzing for a beer to be over 20% and be that drinkable. Amazing!

appearance: golden amber hues, almost red

smell: disappointed, alchohol covered the hop smell.

taste: decent hops flavor, this beer is loaded with it but again the alcohol content smears it. very sweet...

mouthfeel: medium to slightly full

drinkability: surprisingly smooth. another weird attempt to make beer different. Again I repsect DFH and what they do but this is not a beer I want to drink all the time.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

bottled 7/8/08

split this bottle with my pops because i wanted to have more then one beer tonight

pours a hazy copper with a 1 finger head that fades fast and leaves no lacing down the glass.

smell is straight up sweet alcohol

taste is of very sweet honey and alcohol but not as strong as some beers that are half the abv. this beer is almost like candy

mouthfeel for a beer that is 21abv was suprisingly not as thick as one might imagine - this is the beer that should be named hop juice

overall i think this will be a love hate beer - and put me down on the love side even though the first one i had was sour and i think it was infected and i am glad i did not review it because it was a hate. the consistency of dfh is not that great but when they are on the are on.

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%

Big thanks to BeerMan-lots-of-7's for the chance to try this one! Dark amber with a brilliant white, frothy head. Just popping the bottle I can smell the citrus hoppiness. A closer investigation reveals an apricot scent with a hint of bitter hops. Time to taste... Wow- this thing is crazy! Massive hops up front. It's not that bitter up front but not very bitter. Lots of sweet citrus, no pine at all. Slightly sticky though. This is followed by a huge caramel, syrup malt then a slight bitterness followed by a slightly strange chemical taste. This aftertaste would be my only criticism. I really liked this beer and look forward to another bottle.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

Wow I was in the mood for an IPA and all I had was junk in the fridge until I found this bottle given to me a few months ago by my son. Great! I thought.... Well, I'd totally forgotten how powerful this stuff was supposed to be! I already feel over-warm and I was just looking for a nice IPA to cool me down on a 90-degree too-early-summer day in April!

SIP AT YOUR OWN PACE-- OR AT YOUR OWN RISK!

A= nice copper-amber, just-off-white creamy head about 1 finger in a tall glass 1/2L stein, tons of lacing. Profuse tiny dancing bubbles coming up erratically and swirling like a gnat-swarm. Where's Jerry Garcia when you need a good light-show?!?!?

S= very evident, with strong everything-- hops, florals, malts, liquor.

T= a bit overpowering on the first gulp before I realized what I was drinking. Actually a bit nauseatingly sweet. But after readjusting my brain, a fantastic display of hops, a solid foundation of malts and some bready traits, definite liquor evident, high sweetness.

M= sweet, with bold varietal hops, bready malts, occasional hints of a woody hops taste of some sort; lasts for quite some time.

D= one only, for me. I'd love to let this go flat and serve it in 4-ounce snifters and see how that works.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured a beautiful glowing amber color with a very small head and no lacing. Smell was dominated by a honey sweetness, taste followed suit and was sweet but surprisingly tame. The alcohol was noticeable but not as overpowering as I would have expected. Mouthfeel was oily and medium/full bodied with limited amounts of carbonation. Drinkability suffers some due to the gigantic level of sweetness, but overall this is a nice sipping beer.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

Got a few from the July 2008 batch during my visit to the brewery in Milton last summer.

A: Very bright orange-red color with a very nice head on it.

S: LOTS going on here with plenty of hops shooting out a grocery market full of citrus and tropical fruits. Solid malt sweetness to back it up.

T: Again, a ton going on here. Not as god as the nose, but quite tasty. Lots of sweetness and candy. It's simply overpowering.

M: Have to let this one sit on the palate for a while, as there's so much going on. Can definitely feel the alcohol, but wouldn't know it was 20% abv just from the feel.

D: Pretty good when it was relatively fresh (currently adding notes from old handwritten review). I've got a couple of these in the cellar, and I'm looking forward to popping one every July for the next few years.

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%

Got this at siciliano's in Grand Rapids, MI.

Poured into a tulip glass, this has an electric copper color with nice globby foam and rows of bubbles flowing from the bottom up for minutes after the pour.

Citrus, pine, pine, citrus super hoppy smell. A bit redundant to say I know, I know its a bit redundant to say. Faint alcohol smell on the nose as well.

Massive hops, like a ton of em. Coats your tongue with bitterness, almost like a hop syrup. Wow.

Mouthfeel is overly intense, hops galore, tingling sensation, and a sticky coat of bitterness lingers.

Oh my, I don't want to take away from this, because the style it is in is appropriate, but I don't know if this is for me. I'd still say it is a solid Imperial IPA

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

I have just been dominated!!!

Poured into a tulip

A- Hazy orange color that radiates when held to light. Really beautiful.

S- The alcohol is very prevalent but underneath you can clearly smell hops and some sort of light sweet fruits

T- MOUTH EXPLOSION. Sweet, Sweet Sweet and Hoppy. Some caramal malts in there as well. While the flavors are overwhelming, I don't think I would want to taste this beer without them. The alchohol would just take over.

M- Syrupy and sticky. Really coats your whole mouth. Then, ooooh the alcohol burns, but then it gives you the pleasant warming sensation of sipping some liquor.

D- I was sitting at the review page adjusting the ratings as I was drinking. The more I drank the further the drinkability dropped. The next time I buy this I will split one with a friend. It's more economical and 1 would be the absolute maximum for one sitting. This thing kills!! But in a good way :)

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

on tap 3/25/09 in large dogfish head snifter.

there was no head apparent what-so-ever. nice subtle lacing with spider-web retention. bronze in color and has a dark haze over it. very much alcohol up front in the nose(nail-polish remover?). a sweet, spicy, and of course hoppy aftertaste. about half way through there is more honey apparent in the nose, but still smells of alcohol.

even before the very last sip there was a nice milky way haze left behind. hardly a bitter aftertaste (for high ibu's) due to the high alcohol content which made it more a sweet honey flavor. extremely dense towards the bottom of the snifter with a slight floral flavor. the smell clears the sinuses quite nicely. after 30 minutes, a swirl of the snifter leaves a lovely, thin glaze of head behind, and continues to annihilate my palate!

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

Smell:
Really, really sweet but with a bite in the schnoz that definitely makes you aware there's some booze in there.

Appearance:
Not at all what I expected: really light yellow-gold and completely cloudy with a minimal head that dissipated pretty quick.

Taste:
Very sweet, almost like a peach or melon with a sugary fruit texture. Analogous to a sweet wine? Alcohol definitely showed through though, I couldn't take more than a sip a time. Carbonation was pretty low, but considering I was prepared to sip a liqueur, it was surprised

Drinkability:
Way too strong for me, but from my perspective this isn't really a beer. I'd say if you drink with the knowledge that you're really drinking 4 beers at once, and take ¼ the swig you'd normally take, that'll be about right.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Had at brouers cafe in Seattle...

Pours a golden copper in a sniffer

Nose is a lot of sweet malts and citrus, just a little alcohol, surprising for this beer

Taste is a mix of malts, spice, syrupy honey and alcohol
It is quite delicious and wine like - this is a huge beer and people must not realize how different this should taste.

Mouthfeel is thick and rich

Incredibly drinkable for a 21% beer

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

A celebratory review honoring the birth of my newborn son and my own birthday.

A sniff from the bottle reveales a very high alcohol content, reminiscent somewhat to that of superglue or rubber cement with a hint of fruitiness.

A very amber pour into a weizen glass with little to no head. Semi-transparent and lighter that I expected. It takes a good few shakes to pull up the sediment up from the bottom of the bottle. Once pulled then poured, the sediment adds a little head and clouds the glass as can be expected.

The aroma is hugely alcoholic hinted with a sent of an over ripened peeled banana. Almost intoxicating in and of itself.

For such a high alcohol volume I would expect it to taste more like wine, but it powers through as an unusually strong hoppy swell. With the first sip a sharp fruity sweetness tickling to the mouth (carbonated very well); my nasal cavities are instantly permeated with the overwhelming ripened fruity burn. An after taste of carmely browns and hoppy greens mist across my pallet. For such a high alcohol content this is easy to sip yet tough to gulp.

It's effect runs quickly. Very smooth for such a high alcohol percent. I don't think I'll be able to review another tonight after this.

Cheers,