120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,057
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A. Nice color and very cloudy when poured cold, No head and no carbonation. There was a last drizzle of color as i poured the bottle into my glass.

S. Paint thinner and honey ( I was assured this was normal).

T. Sweet with a bite. I liked it more than I though I would after the initial smell. However, I don't know if I overhyped it in my mind.

M. No carbonation

D. The experience was just too complex for me. Too many flavors mixing with alcohol. I suppose I could develop a taste for this beer overtime, but found the experience overwhelming from a beer drinking perspective.

3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

Reviewed 1/14/2008 (bottled 3/30/06, aged in a cool fridge):

Pours a light red body, clear, small white head. Dark fruit plummy aroma, sweet, some alcohol, no hops whatsoever. Strong sweet flavor, some flavors like roasted, dark fruit. Almost woodsy. Some alcohol. (bottled 5/10/07, aged in a cool fridge) Pours a darker red color, white head, small & not lasting. Very hoppy aroma, bitter. Very hoppy taste, non-sweet grapefruit aftertaste. Some alcohol, some dark fruit. More balanced.

2.4/5  rDev -41.5%

A. Nice amber color, cloudy when poured cold, honey-like color when warmed up a bit, no longer cloudy. No noticeable head. Little carbonation.

S. Rubbing Alcohol. Very little hop aroma. Honey.

T. Alcohol, very sweet- and I mean very! Hops? Barely getting through the alcohol and honey taste. Way too sweet to be considered an IPA in my opinion- more like a barley wine.

M. Warm, sticky, thin

D. This was one of the hardest beers for me to drink. The alcohol and sweetness are just too overpowering. I feel like I'm fighting to get to the bottom of the glass.

Wow! This beer packs one hell of a punch! 21% abv is just ridiculous to me. I think 9% is pushing it. I appreciate the fact that beers with this kind of abv are actually made but I think that's what straight liquor is for.

This is supposed to be the holy grail for hopheads- I don't agree. More like the holy grail for alcoholics! I'd rather have a DFH 60 Min IPA.

(p.s. I tried a Duck Rabbit 2008 Barley Wine just the other day that was hoppier than this.)

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Let me pretext this review by saying I am in no way a fan of IPAs or hoppy beers in general. I think there is a ridiculous hop craze and I wish it would end!!!
All that said, I tohught this was a great beer- hats off to Dogfish Head!
The appearance was a rich lite golden amber and poured a beautiful head.
The smell of course was boozy and hoppy.
The taste for a 20%er was wonderful. The hops really provide balance to the big abv.
certainly not a very drinkable beer with such a high abv but worth having in the fridge for solo occasions to sip and ponder.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

A - There really isn't much lacing or head but the cloudy thickness of it makes me feel like it deserves a more than average rating. I like a beer that just by the sight makes me want to investigate further.

S - Actually very hard to describe. Lots of weird things that don't quite sit as an everyday smell. I thought of manila envelopes. I thought of resin. I thought there was a hint of something illegal in some countries. There are some very earthy fruits.

T - The thing that really surprises me about this is how sweet it is. I suppose that with a beer this big you've got a lot of residue sugar. At the same time there are a ton of hops but not so much the traditional feeling of bitter on the tongue. I suppose that is due to the sweetness. It is a unique taste I struggle for adjectives. I think the alcohol taste is very well hidden as there are only hints of it on the end of a sip.

M - very viscous.

D - You obviously shouldn't plan on driving anywhere. In fact, I'd schedule this as the first beer of the night or you're in for trouble. It will always be a novelty beer for me.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

On tap at Julian's in Proividence RI poured into an 8 oz wine glass

A - Beautiful hazy golden apricot in color with a white head.
S - Grapefruit, some caramel, toasted malts and a touch of alcohol
T - Sour/bitter up front then came the malt sweetness. Caramel. Some flavors reminiscent of a dessert wine.
M/F -Rich, creamy and thick.
D - A very nice sipper.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

I finally broke down and picked up my first bottle of 120

bottle date - 11/6/2008 - Very fresh!

Pours a beautiful tangerine with a reddish hew and a nice layer of white foam settled on top. Miniature bubbles leave the the tiniest bit of lacing along the inside walls of my snifter.

Aroma of fresh grassy hops, citrus peal, dried fruit/candy sweetness, a little bit of envelope glue and booze. On a good whiff the alcohol stings my eyeballs a little.

Full bodied like hell with a syrupy slick texture, alcohol tingles the palate.

This beer is incredibly sweet at with the flavor of canned peaches in syrup. Fresh juicy hop flavors that are absolutely delicious, a light pine/citrus hop bitterness from the hops. Most of the stinging bite however comes from the incredibly high abv, which is masked very well among the delicious brew. That envelope glue taste that I've been getting in in some of Dog Fish's big beers comes through in the end but is much lesser in this bottle. 21% goes down way too smooth!

I give this beer's drinkability rating a 5 based on it's extreme drinkability despite huge abv.

I was able to get this beer fresh on-tap at the brewery this past summer and this bottle was just as good. Overall I think that this beer was outstanding and completely worth the ching!

Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A- Mahogany colored hue, with some visibility. Produced a very small amount of white head.

S- Liquid candy. Combination of sugar, malt, hops, and fruits.

T- This beer can be very deceiving if you go into expecting a traditional IPA. The combination of sugars, dark fruits, and malts made this taste very similar to some barleywines I have had before. Fortunately for me, I love barleywines.

M- Thick and syrupy. Coats the tongue perfectly leaving an almost chewy feel to it.

D- As much as I love the taste, you have to watch yourself with this one. Even having split the 12 oz. bottle with a friend, I was still feeling the effects. That +20% abv will get you.

Overall, I went into drinking this beer with an open mind. Like I stated above, this beer seemed to have many similar features of a barleywine and less of the IPA. To me this was a positive, but to others, I can see how this might be a negative.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

Wow... Absolutely overwhelming. I was very anxious to try this brew because I love the 60 and 90 minute IPA's but this cannot even be categorized with those beers. I guess I didn't know what to expect from a 21% beer, but I was at least expecting somewhat of an IPA taste. This tasted like a really strong, bitter, slightly carbonated wine. In my opinion, no resemblance whatsoever. I would probably have rated this beer higher if I knew what I was in for when I tried it for the first time. I would definitely say its worth picking up, but do not do so on the shear fact that you like 60 and 90 minutes as there is almost no similarities other than the name. If you like barley wines, definitely pick one up and try it. If you are a big IPA fan and are looking for a new imperial IPA to try, heads up, grab a bear republic, stone ruination, a 90 min, or something else. Only available in 12oz singles, my suggestion is that if you havn't had this yet, split it with one other person and/or pour it into a wine glass. The 25-27% ABV Sam Adams Utopias is normally poured in 2oz and this seems like beer that is best in small servings. I poured this into a pint glass and drank the whole thing and when I buy this again I am just pouring it into a small drink/wine glass and drinking a little at a time. This way, I may appreciate the taste more as opposed to trying to finish the whole 12oz bottle/

3.18/5  rDev -22.4%

A - Hazy amber color with a small off white head.

S - Hops, sugar, caramel, sugar, fruit, sugar, alcohol.

T - Wow...really sweet. Alcohol is noticeable, but the sweetness is overwhelming. Little bitterness with caramel and fruity flavors more noticeable.

M - Thick, sticky and cloying. Sweet residue coats the tongue leaving a lingering aftertaste.

D - Slowly. This was worth trying and I appreciate the craft in attempting to make such a big beer, but this just was not my style.

2.35/5  rDev -42.7%

Well, this is an interesting beer that I have wanted to try for a while. Unfortunately, 'interesting' does not always mean 'good.'

Bottle obtained in a trade with Blazer 06. Cracked open the bottle to share in anticipation of the ball dropping on new years eve.

The 120 pours a light copper color with no head whatsoever. this is not surprising given the alcohol content.

There is a heavy alcohol scent to the beer (again, not surprising) and pine notes from the hops. I do detect some citrus, but not as much as many other IPAs. More than anything, peach notes stand out.

This beer is cloyingly sweet. Again, tons of peach flavor. Unfortunately, it is more of a peach schnapps flavor, very sweet and syrupy, than a subtle peach. I can't get over how sweet the beer is. As I tend to love DIPAs for their bitter hop characteristics, this is frustrating. A sweetness lingers on the tongue and palate. And I mean lingers.

For a beer that is hopped 'continously', why is it so sweet? It is simply too sweet, too syrupy, and too strong.

Did I mention that this beer is really sweet?

I love DFH. Their beers were really the driving force of me becoming a beer lover rather than a beer consumer. And I love the fact that they are pushing the envelope. However, the 120 is more of an experiment - and the results of the experiment are a crazy big beer, but not one that really tastes that good or is particularly enjoyable.

3.65/5  rDev -11%

Poured a golden copper color from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a pint glass. Hazy with a wealth of hops floating in suspension. Nice initial head diminishes quickly to a thin icing with nice lacing.

Strong smell of fruity hops mostly apricots and carmel. Ever present scent of alcohol.

Slightly overpowering sweet taste, with strong taste of alcohol. You can tell this was hopped for an extended period. A little too sweet for my taste.

Smooth not overly carbonated or bitter. Not much bite for an IPA. So much alcohol you can feel it.

Have heard about the 120 for a long time and had to try it. I am a big fan of the other Dogfish Head IPA's. But at $10.00 a bottle and 21% ABV not something I would indulge in very often. Had to hide the sales slip from my wife.

3.73/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- golden thick with floaters, head dissipates quickly

S- Carmel hoppiness, like an extreme barley/hop wine.

T- Some kind of experience. Like you fermented hops in sweet grapefruit concentrate, froze it to remove the excess water, and then reduced it into a sweet hop bomb concoction rolling and swirling in its own hoppyness.

M- Thick, but surprisingly smooth for what it is,

D- Surprisingly over the top, but not when you take it for what is is.

We drank a bit of this when the local beer bar accidently was selling it half off on wednesdays for $4.25. What a dangerous steal.

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz bottle poured into dogfish head pint glass (bottled 1/18/08)

A- Dogfish head 120 pours a very golden color with a slight touch of copper that appears quite thick. A slightly aggressive pour produces a nice sized head that dwindles down to a thin sheet. A nice amount of bubbles and debris is seen floating throughout the glass.

S- 120 has a super strong smell of sweet malts and some alcohol is present, but not as much as you would think coming from a 21% beer. Caramel on top of citrusy hops with some floral qualities. The dominance of the malts makes for a syrupy smell.

T- similar to the smell with a start of an enormous amount of malt sweetness backed with a nice hop presence. the alcohol is present in the finish as the heat is noticed going down. the sweetness consists of caramel and sugars with a bit of grapefruit coming through. It's almost like i'm drinking syrup which is kind of weird, but most DFH offerings are considered weird to me.

M- Thick, thick and thick, with a full body. I have to say though that for a beer of this size it is pretty smooth going down.

D- For 21% very drinkable but i had to check myself after i found myself drinking this a bit fast. after the 1st few sips i could feel the alcohol taking effect. this is a big beer for big boys & girls who are down for a challenge so be prepared.

I have a 2005 version of this & will buy a fresh bottle to compare, but not until i have two people to help me with it.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

I'm kind of all over the place with this beer, but here goes. I had it at Barcade in Brooklyn, NY, which is located on Union. Had to try it because I absolutely loved the 60 and 90 minute versions.

This is simply not my kind of beer, though I appreciate just how good this beer is. This was just way too strong and wine tasting for my likes. While it was extremely smooth, this simply is not how I want my IPAs to taste.

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is truely an awesome beer,been waiting to try this one for as long as I knew what it was!
The pour on this leaves a very cloudy thick body, it's intimidating from the get go. It looks thick and smells completely different than I imagened. I assumed this beer would beer unbelievably hoppy, and while there is plenty of hoppyness on the nose, there's a ton of malty smells of raisens and peaty sweetness. The tast is similar but with definate alcohol pinch. It's very smooth with consideration to the alcohol and it really does ride the malt notes as much as the flower hop flavors. A great beer that everyone should at least try but I do recommend you tell them that drinking one is the same as drinking four+ standard strength beers.

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter.

A: Hazy golden amber. Light carbonation pours into a thin layer of carbonation on the surface. Leaves fair lacing as you drink. A smattering of carbonation remains, as well.

S: Hops, honey, raisin, and peaty.

T: Sweet hoppy goodness. Hints of raisin and citrus. Peaty. Not really complex, but do you really expect much more than hops from a 120 minute IPA.

M: Strong alcohol taste. Not a really strong hoppy feel, but the strong alcohol is prominent, and takes away from the hops a bit. Dry. Brandy-like.

D: Good, if you have time to drink it. If not, don't waste your time.

Well, this is an extreme brew. Good to sip from the snifter, as the bouquet is important to this one. Atmosphere, good flavor (although not very complex), good feel. I definitely recommend this great over the top quaff.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Golden copper color with a slight amber edge, thin layer of tightly packed head which dropped into patches on top - 4.00, S: Thick and aromatic, absolutely saturated with smells, reminds me of a brandy more than a beer, lots of candied sugars and signs of honey couple with a solid wallop of citrusy hops - 5.00, T: Like the nose this beer almost pushes one into sensory overload, heaps of overripe fruit flavors - primarily plums along with a solid infusion of honey which boosts the sugar level of this beer to astronomical levels, all of this is nicely balanced with a boatload of hops though I would not call that the dominate feature - 4.00, M: Slightly syrupy - 4.00, D: What a nice late night sipping beer, loaded to the gills with flavors and aromas, the price makes it a little prohibitive for routine drinking, but on special occasions it should be easy to justify - 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Surprisingly sweet and easy to drink for something that's so massively full of alcohol. HUGE hop taste here too, and a pretty good hoppy aroma as well. This mother is going to straight up knock you on your ass but you're going to love every minute of it.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

Wow, this is really a whacky beer. At some level it really is like have a hop flower in your mouth.

There was a thin white foamy head that formed then faded. Split this bottle so I didn't get a full 12 oz pour. Not sure you'd want to drink an entire 12 oz bottle.. This beer was made for sharing. Bright golden amber with excellent clarity. Really a nice looking beer. No lacing or visible carbonation.

Aroma was huge and of pine & citrus. As if you were snorting hop pellets.

This really is an extreme beer. As huge as the flavor was, I was impressed with the balance. Huge sweetness and equally huge hop bitterness. Apricot, Melon/cantelope and honey flavors. Towards the end, some deep pine resin notes.

Syrup like and thick. Big doesn't begin to describe this.

It's very interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want an entire bottle for myself. At some level I guess this is a statement about it's drinkability.

Buy one to share. I have another and I'm going to age it for a couple of years.

3.65/5  rDev -11%

This beer cost me $9.57 at the local spirits store and it was worth every penny. The balance between the strength and smoothness of this beer is incredible and is deceptively drinkable. Highly recommended to anyone that has the 10 or so dollars to purchase it.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Shared this with my brother which I would recommend doing. Pours a nice light brown shade with a big white head and a very sticky lace. The aroma is filled with a grapefruit hop aroma that dominates. The taste is actually almost the complete opposite as the hops are present at first but then the sweet malt takes over coupled with some notes of brown sugar. For such a potent beer this is dangerously drinkable since the alcohol is very well hidden. A sipper but a great beer.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer is the King of hop beers.

The aroma, and flavor was the best I've ever experienced, in the hop catagory. Very pungent citrus, and pine aromas and flavors. A little sweet from the massive amount of malts used. Very hot with alcohol (to be expected). At 21.0% ABV, it's not that drinkable.

12 oz bottle, 2004 vintage, consumed on 12-26-08.

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. Body is a slightly murky dark amber/brown with a small whitish head that fades fast to a thin film.

S: Waft of booze over brown sugar, honey and caramel malt. Brown sugar-coated oranges soaked in Southern Comfort.

T: Brown sugary-sweet malt with honey sweetness as well. Alcohol is obvious at the finish and hot down the gulley. Finishes with a rounded sweetness and heat. But, there's a semi-dry hoppiness that cleanses the palate a bit, a hint of grapefruit, maybe, allowing you to avoid cloying sweetness. It's not very strong, and if you're not paying attention you'll miss it. But there's a bit of that drying there. Still, it's mostly sweet, with the emphasis on brown sugar and orange licquor (sp?).

M: Heavyweight. Slightly syrupy.

D: A sipper, but more drinkable than I expected, to be honest. Somewhat dangerously so, given the ABV.

Notes: This one is like an Imperial Barleywine, if there was such a thing. . . .

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Shared a bottle on Christmas with a friend.

Pours a slightly cloudy deep orange/amber with a smallish off white head that leaves us much to soon. Smells of hops, no kidding huh? Resinous Piny Citrusy hops. Lots of malt in the nose as well, caramel, burnt sugar, biscuit. Taste follows the nose, first a hop assault of grapefruit, resin and pine then the caramel, molasses malts mixed in with a little alcohol. Desceptively easy to drink for such a strong brew. Mouthfeel is syrupy, Body is thick, carbonation is moderate. Wow that is one big beer! We both loved this brew.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery