120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,138 | Reviews: 2,128
3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

This is an extremely tough review. I'm a huge fan of the 60 Minute IPA. But this is one of those cases where scaling is not linear. (Ever say you name or a common word over and over again until it sounds completely odd? That's what this is like with respect to hops.)

A: Copper colored with a light amount of off-white head that fades to a thin wisp.

S: Hops soaked in brandy is the best I can come up with. The hops are there, but not in the normal way.

T: This has moved beyond beer flavor to a liquor. In spite of the premise of the brew, I'm getting much more malt than hops.

M: Warming. Very warming. If I were in front of a roaring fire in a ski lodge, this would hit the spot. It's a big beer, meaning that the body is very full and the carbonation doesn't really play much of a role.

D: This is akin to cognac or brandy or port. For what it is, it's drinkable (sippable), but splitting one of these is the way to go.

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from bottle in to snifter

A - Bronze in color light head that fades quickly. leaves little residue on glass.

S - Very earthy... grass and grain.. for hop fans its wonderful

T - Taste is very sweet and leaves a bit of an after bite... there is a lot of hop in this brew. Leaves a nice warm alcohol feel.

M - Not the best... your going to want to sip this baby down

D - Surprisingly good for the abv (21%)... sometimes taste like more of a barley wine.

It is a wonderful beer for the hop fans... i really enjoyed it, but it took me about an hour to sip it down. Even thought it has a hefty price tag it is well worth it!

3.7/5  rDev -10%

12 oz bottle dated 2/9/09 poured in to a snifter.

Pours a slightly hazy amber orange with a thin bubbly, lacy off white head.

Smell is a huge hop bomb. sort of sweet, chalky, and boozy.

Taste is a syrupy, sweet orangy with not as booze as expected, but it is still very warming. Not as bitter as expected.

Nice thick mouthfeel.

The drinkability is probably better than expected for the abv, but obviously not great.

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an amazing beer. Bottled 05/01/09, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - 1 finger head, fades slowly but leaves lacing throughout beer and on glass. Clear reddish amber color. Very alive and inviting.

Smell - Very hoppy, oaky, and nutty. Definitely smell some citrusy hops and fruity aromas.

Taste - first thing that hits me is a malty caramel flavor. Definitely hops, but very well built. All ingredients blend so gracefully, nothing is overpowering.

Mouthfeel - extremely light and smooth.

Drinkability - I will have another this week! Very easy to drink, slight alcohol burn on back of throat that fades pretty quickly. I have one I've been aging since 2006, can't wait to try it!

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Had this on tap at Capital Alehouse in Fredericksburg, va. Poured into a tulip. Poured a nice deep amber, with a very thin head that actually never dissipated much at all, maintaining a slim ring down to the bottom of the glass. Leaves some slight lacing.

WOW, not exactly what i was expecting from this one. still good, just different. Instead of the up front hops you get from most dipas, this one starts off with intense sweetness. As the flavor goes along, the honey like sweetness slowly rounds into a flavor full of hoppy pine, citrus, orange, and grapefruit notes. Wasn't actually a huge fan of the level of sweetness it had up front, but the way the flavors come together as a whole is great. Actually a difficult beer to rate for me.

Had a very syrupy mouthfeel, coating the mouth and forcing you to remember each of its flavors (which I didn't mind.)

I don't really know how to rate the drinkability of a beer like this. Would I want to drink more than 12oz. of this? No. But it was extremely smooth and enjoyable considering the high abv.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter glass

A: A hazy golden-amber color with almost no head and no lacing, but due to the alcohol content I was kind of expecting this

S: A very sweet maltiness, with some citrusy/piney hops and alcohol. Kind of smells like Pine-sol, but in a sort of pleasant way. This has a very strong aroma

T: Sweetness, tastes of honey and raisins, along with a grapefruit/pine hop flavor. The hops are not as prevalant as expected, this is kind of odd for an IPA, I was expecting more as far as bitterness, but this is a much sweeter beer. Also quite a bit of an alcohol aftertaste, probably due to the 18% abv of this monster of a beer.

M: A very full mouthfeel, with a bit of stickiness that lingers in the mouth after swallowing because of the sweetness. Also, a bit of alcohol warmth that lingers.

D: This is definitely a sipping beer. This is quite a bit of a challenge to finish, but its quite enjoyable. I definitely could not drink more than one of these

Overall, this is a good beer, but it is not easy to drink, and its a lot sweeter than I would expect for an IPA. I may pick this up again, but I'm not really sure

3.4/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

bottle dated 02/09/09

A- pours a hazy, orangy straw color, with very little white foamy head . no lacing at all. i'm sure that the alcohol content help to knock both of these down.

S- Sweet, maltiness characterized by sugar, hony and raisins. behind this malt is citrusy and tropical fruit hops. a good deal of alcohol too.

T- Very sweet, unexpected for an IPA. Alot of malt upfront with the same sweet sugar, honey and raisin flavors. then followed and finished by the hops, presented as citrus and tropical fruits. also a good bit of alcohol warmth in the finish.

M/D- very full bodied. a sipper for sure. I'm a huge fan of the 60 and 90 mins, but i think i'll pass on the 120 next time, especially at the price tag. I was expecting a huge hop profile on this but was dissapointed by that.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

The beer poured a clear, honey-amber with a thin, white head that dissipated quickly into a chalice. The smell was of clean, crisp, citrusy hops and alcohol. The initial flavor was an immediate hit of alcoholic esters, with malt sweetness in the middle, with more alcoholic warmness and hop bitterness at the finish - fantastic! A bit oily mouthfeel, with malt sweetness, hops, and alcohol flavors lingering long, long after the swallow. Wish it wasn't so expensive, but still a great, super-high octane brew.

3.4/5  rDev -17.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (February 23, 2010). "Bottled on: 10/05/09" is printed on the neck of the bottle.

An extremely high ABV DIPA, that brewer Sam Calagione stated was brewed as an experiment to create the highest alcohol content possible while producing " a product that still tastes like beer." I really enjoy the DFH 90 Minute IPA, but I must admit I'm not always a fan of brewing "experiments."

Eyes: Pours an extremely hazy, near opaque dark orange with minimal head. The fluffy foam dissipates quickly and doesn't lace at all. I'm sure the near 20% ABV is responsible for the lack of head.

Nose: A very malty sweet, grapefruit infused, floral hop aroma overall. I'malso struck by how boozy it smells. Earthy notes of dry fruit and some subtle pine.

Tongue: Very intense and boozy, a sippin' beer for sure. Tastes of a strong, syrupy caramel, and some citrus hops. Unfortunately the booze and malts push the hops aside a bit too much for me.

Mouth: Thick, syrupy, and pasty. Low carbonation, which would help if it were a bit more bubbly. I can't get past the alcohol either.

Libation: As I stated previously, this is a sippin' beer. I really, really like DIPAs, but this is just to much of an experiment for me. According to Sam Calagione, this beer is "dry hopped every day for a month" but it still seems much more malty sweet than hoppy. I truly appreciate some aspects of the 120, but maybe I'm just not ready for this sort of punch in the mouth yet. I'm not sure I'll ever be ready for it.

3.68/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

To enjoy this beer, you should know what you are getting yourself into. Beautiful color, very sweet and alchoholy nose, tastes much more like mead or honey. Almost no sign of bitterness you would expect from an imperial ipa. All that said, a very good beer for sipping and sharing, but dont think you'll be tossing a couple of these back on a hot summer day.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle poured into tulip glass
(Purchased in May of 2009, drank on Feb 22, 2010)

A: Copper in color, very little head, but it rounds out to a very nice ring and beautiful lacing.

S: Wow...First thing I'm getting is a very sweet smell, burnt sugar, caramel & honey. It is followed by a big burst of hops and alcohol. Reminds me of Cognac....

T: Very sweet flavors up front.... I'm getting a heavy dose of sugar, caramel and honey notes.... The hops come on heavy at the back end with a alcohol warmth at the finishing out the flavor... Aftertaste is well balanced... not bitter of overly sweet. Nice.

M: Heavy bodied, very sticky, syrupy yet smooth.

D: OK at 18 to 20% ABV this is a one session beer for me... When first poured the sweetness is very strong, as it warms the hops starts to take over....

I will tell you this... just sit back and enjoy, take your time and soak it all in.... Now I'm not a big IPA kind of guy but this one rang my bell.... A must try !!! I'm going to buy another a let it sit for 2 years or more and give it a try.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

I really enjoyed this beer. It had a nice smell of hops and a hint of orange. The texture really surprised me, it was thicker than I anticipated. There was a strong alcohol burn on each swallow. Definately a beer to drink in moderation. As the beer warmed more flavors released. Wonderful IPA, a must have!

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance:
a dark burnt yellow color, cloudy

Aroma:
A strong Hops smell. Slightly sweet

Taste:
Pretty sweet, almost honey like. Then a little burn of alcohol, with a pleasant after taste that's slightly sugary and hoppy.

Mouthfeel:
thick, honey like

Drinkability:
I really enjoy this beer. I could easily drink a couple.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Slightly less than one finger head on a sort of dull red-brown body. Not sure if it's chill haze or yeasty or what, but the appearence just isn't all that appetizing.

S: Honey and mature hops dominate. From a snifter, I get a very very little alcohol smell, but in my goblet I get a very sweet malt nose. No caramel, but some dark fruit, almost what I would expect from a RIS instead of this.

T: Whew, smoooth. The texture on this beast is almost like a half-melted milk shake. Thick. But that's mouthfeel. I get no alcohol, again a sort of aged/faded hop and a lot of malt. But the malt isn't a caramel malt, more of a very very intense and piled up pale ale malt. I'm tasting lots from the yeast I think, some ginger? Definitely some spiciness. Very smooth though, dangerously so. It's good, and I like it, I don't know how much the taste would continue to appeal to me.

M: Like I said, thick and creamy. A good example of a beer that doesn't look to dark but feels like chocolate syrup.

D: Drinkable, yes, very, much like a port. But not something I would want all that much of and nothing I would NEED all that much of. Definitely something I am glad to have tried and something I would get again if I came across it at the right time, but not something I would seek out.

2.9/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. 12oz. 2009 vintage.

Appearance:
Amber orange, slightly hazy, slight ring of head.

Aroma:
Hops, alcohol

Taste:
Big, exceedingly sweet taste. Flowers? A blast of alcohol, that tastes reminiscent of blended whiskey -- very strong for beer.

Mouthfeel:
Average thickness, almost sticky.

Drinkability:
Not a favorite of mine. It's simply too sweet for my tastes, and the alcohol overpowers the other flavors.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Review from notes Jan 28 2010

Poured a clear honey amber with a nice white head. Very sweet, citrusy, with a hint of pine resin. Lots of caramel and alcohol as well. Lots of bitterness in the finish and maybe a hint of cognac too. Hops linger long after the finish. Medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Drinkability is good for the amount of alcohol given.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a Gaffel Kolsch glass.
Color is Amber/Orange, Slightly hazy. Not bad.
Not very much head, but it does have a lacing that sticks around.

Smells strongly of alcohol and hops. Very sweet. Doesn't stands out much among the IPA crowd.

Taste is big and sweet. It fills your mouth. It's like drinking flowers. Flowers full of alcohol. My God this beer is loaded with alcohol. It's not labeled but I see 18% and 21% are common among the reviews.

I love this beer. Not much to say about it. Not very complex. But it sure is dangerously delicious.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks Tim!

This poured orange with golden highlights, and a thin white head. To my eyes this was glowing. Brilliant colour.

The aroma was of huge juicy grapefruit, pineapple, mangos, kiwi's, tropical, some pine notes, a great balance of caramel from the malt. The alcohol brings out light apricot notes, and the bread like notes are very mild. The bouquet just kind of sparkles on the nose.

This is full of flavour. Complex but surprisingly balanced due to the extreme nature of this beer. Caramel up front, a good sweet quickly pushed over by a lovely hop flavour. Big american cirtus c-hops. The apricot is a nice sublet note that stays amongst most sips. It's a glass full of citrus rinds, pine needles, and a nice finishing sweetness. Beautiful.

This is a silky, full bodied beer, with low to moderate carbonation. It just fills the palate with amazing flavours and a nice finish with not too many residual sugars. Dry, but not too dry.

Very dangerous to drink, as it is beyond drinkable for the alcohol percentage.

Wow.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

This beer is intense. The pour is a hazy gold/orange, and it laces quite well. At first I couldn't even deal with the aroma. It was so intense that I really had to let this breathe and have an opportunity to really open up. Nose is all about the hops. Pure concentrated hop juice. Citrus oils and solvents are upfront, huge bread crust malts follow, with all I can describe as hop fuel. it is really just hops all the way, and not in a way I have encountered before. Upon first taste, I was unprepared for the experience, and let the beer sit for a while longer. I poured a 4 oz sample, and that was more than enough at first. Straight up hops, tonnes of citric pithy flavours, some fuesel components, orangey malts, very alcoholic. The hops here are an all out pine blast. Like eating pure pine needle extract. This is so intense that I had to drink it over 2 days, 3 servings. This is a boozey hop fest in the mouth. Not for the beginner or faint of heart. This is a sipper, and I think this one should be aged for a few years to really let the intensity become a bit more well rounded. Overall, it has huge alcoholic and pine notes in the finish, syrupy and sweet. An experience I will remember for sure. A good beer, but perhaps a little too intense for everyday enjoyment. Certainly a treat! Thanks again Eric!

2.48/5  rDev -39.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Ommegang tulip.

A - Poured a hazy orange with lively carbonation and a thin foamy head that vanished rather quickly. Carbonation was even and consistent, like champagne.

S - Orange, hops, sugar, molases...relatively balanced and the alcohol seems a bit hidden. I expected this to be only hops I'm pleasantly surprised at the even blend.

T - Hoppy sludge. Very sweet and leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth and look on my face. The alcohol is way more upfront in the taste than the nose. Very different tasting beer...not much like beer, kind of like a barleywine or dessert wine.

M - Not a huge fan of this one. Too sweet and overly hoppy for my mouth. Leaves a grimace on my face after each sip.

D - The high alcohol content and extreme sweetness make this one I don't plan to pick up again. If you are a hophead, you'll probably really dig this beer, but this one is not for the faint of heart.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours hazy orange with almost no head other than some small carbonation here or there. No lacing present but some "legs" on the glass from the alcohol.

There are some grapefruit and pine hops aromas detectable at first, but this gets overwhelmed very quickly by a solvent alcohol smell with touches of cherry and grape character. It's boozy but actually smells rather like a sweet, strong wine with the grape aromas.

Again, the taste tarts briefly with a touch of hoppiness but subsides to a very fruity and boozy taste. Lots of grape flavor and sweetness here, with a fair alcohol heat throughout. It leaves a dry, coffee-ground like aftertaste which I thought was rather odd but pleasant and surprising.

The feel was too sweet and cloying for me and a bit on the hot side but not overly so.

This beer was quite complex and much better than I expected. It hides the 18% ABV beautifully. I've had English barleywines with little more than half as much alcohol that tasted way stronger than this. I thought the sweetness of the beer was more its downside than the alcohol heat.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, Imperial IPA

Bottled 10/09

A- Bright, clear golden yellow. Minimal head quick to settle, leaving some lace.

S- This ale, if smelled "blind" might lead one to guess that it is a Beerenauslese Riesling! There is the distinct character much like that of late-harvested white grapes with botrytis, and the associated aromas of petrol/orange blossom/clover honey/Granny Smith apple.

T- Sweet, resinous hops balance the slightly sticky, viscous-sweet malt. Very opulent, this ale throws a net of fresh sweetness over the palate. First a lush attack of sweet malt and fruity hops, then bright, fresh, light-fleshed fruits, then clover honey on the finish, with lingering notes of orange blossom and overripe, late-harvest dessert white grapes. Sauternes?!

M, D- Do you enjoy, or know someone who enjoys Sauternes, Moscato, Tokay, Auslese/Beerenauslese Riesling, or any other sweet late harvest wine? Then you or they will likely find this ale to be amazing in its ability to transcend the world of "beer".
This ale is for slow-paced drinking, and it is advised to not even consider opening one until you have made a food-pairing plan and have everything prepared.

I might suggest, at the very least, the best sharp cheddar cheese, tempered. Or spicy Thai pork, hot green or red Thai curry. Or a platter of smoked trout, smoked shrimp, and smoked salmon on crusty bread points. Or raw tuna or yellowtail drizzled with EVOO, sea salt, capers, lemon juice, and flat parsley...

This is a beer that one should strongly consider bringing to a BYOB bistro to see just what a perfect food accompaniment it can be, or bring to a party of cork dorks and blow their minds when YOUR beer kicks their $125 bottle of wine's ass.
...

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Cloudy, pumpkin amber with a creamy finger of eggshell foam that leaves rings of lace on the glass. Beer schnapps is how a German friend of mind described the nose on this one, and it's not a bad description. Floral hops and sweet malt with a touch of rum. Rich, hot buttered rum with enough hop bitterness to just stand up to the malt onslaught. A fabulously balanced sipper and way better than Utopias as far as extreme alcohol beers go in my opinion. Sticky and full bodied with perfect carbonation. A great beer for sipping slowly.

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured into 3 snifters. A better head than I expected developed, maybe 1+ finger of head. Slightly tan in color, decent sized bubbles. Colors was a deep, burnished gold, very clear, somewhat viscous in character. Nice looking beer.

Aroma was very boozy, full of potent alcohol, also quite a bit of sweetness. Some decent hops, too. You can smell how this once was an IPA but morphed into something completely different. This certainly is the sherry of beers.

Flavor is quite a mashup of sweet, alcohol warmth, & bitterness all at the same time. This isn't like anything else I've had. It doesn't necessarily taste like beer, more like some crazy, excessive, somewhat indulgent cousin. I enjoyed it, just because it was such a different experience.

Mouthfeel was thick & sweet but not as thick as I expected. Drinkability was not so overly high though. After a sip I was not craving another, though I was satisfied by the sip I just took.

3.78/5  rDev -8%

A: Poured and shared into two small snifter glasses. Spare, white head that was a ring within a minute or so. Body is an orange/amber color, and hazy.

S: Yowza... yeah, you can smell the booze here. The hops are present as well, but mostly it's the alcohol, and I think I burned off a couple of nose hairs.

T: Wow, not as alcoholic as I would have expected. Ok, yes, the alcohol 'warmth' (or burn) is there all the way down to the stomach, but it's manageable, and it's not as strong as you would think from the ABV or from the smell. Surprisingly, this beer is extremely sweet... the hops become more prevalent after several sips. And that's all you'll be doing here... sipping. Do not attempt to drink this on your own or gulp it down.

M: Full-bodied, very creamy, with average carbonation.

D: No, I will not drink more of these a day... more than one a week, or a month. But I'd love to try it again with a different age (I think this bottle was late 2008)... and after 1/3 of the snifter I was starting to talk a bit of gibberish. Lots of fun! Worth the try for the experimental experience alone.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery