120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,053
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

It poured a golden orange haze with no head. There was just a ring of lacing around the head of the tulip glass.

It had a strong hop smell with a suttle malt undertone. The smell was not balanced.

It had a strong hop taste with a clean finish. Not sense of the malt in the beverage. I found it to not be smooth at all. It was very strong.

It was far to strong to drink more than one of these in a sitting. This beer is just a good daily visit, it is not a session beer at all.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

A -- Good color. one finger of foam. Didn't linger.

S -- I like the smell, expecting good things to come.

T -- Thought the beer didn't have enough hop presence. For being a triple IPA I thought the 120 was lacking compared to the 90. With that said I would drink it again if someone was offering. Over all a good beer.

M -- What I expected. On the thicker side.

D -- One is good for me. Two is a little much.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured a copper color with a tan head that leaves some lacing

S - Of course hops but there sweet malt scents too

T - Starts off with bitter hops but the malt balances it out with caramel sweetness

M - This is a full bodied beer with light carbonation to it

D - This beer is meant to be enjoyed slowly and with the abv I'd say drink it slow I found it pretty easy to drink with an abv thats twice as strong as a lot of Belgians its almost less noticeable than those beers

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Burnt caramel/orange color. Poured a thin, creamy light beige head that had some orange hues to it. The head dissipated quickly. Generous lacing was clean.

S: Very sweet and sugary. Pungent grapefruit floral aroma. Piney aroma round-out.

T: The initial flavor was pungent grapefruit, a big sugary sweetness and floral hoppiness; also some sweet caramel and sweet pine resin. Caramel and sweet grapefruit finish. Slight alcohol awareness for a beer thats 21% ABV; guess its masked by the huge sweet malting and citrusy sweet hopping. The strange balance brought to this beer has to be experienced.

M: Thick and oily. Coating sweet grapefruit and pine resin. Astringent floral bitterness on the finish. Warming alcohol subdued.

D: Assaults the senses so this is a sipper. Massive 21% ABV could be dangerous. A monster IPA. You just gotta taste this for yourself.

pour is a cloudy amber-orange with a small light beige head, and some lacing.

smell is of alcohol, grapefruit, a touch floral, some wood in there.

taste is creamy, alcohol is definately there, then comes the hops, apricote, and some orange peel in the back.

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

P- Grape and Gourmet in Va Beach!

my 150th review and i have a dandy!

A- Pours a nice colorful reddish orange color. Like a tomato mixed with a pumpkin or better yet an orange tomato (If you ever ate one of those).

S- strong citrus hops aroma. alcohol and pine are the other dominant fragrances.

T- fermented alcohol is the first thing i taste but then there is grapefruit and pine that complement the strong essence of alcohol extremely well.

M- potent and citrus mouthfeel. Nothing to much except the burning alcohol sensation as it goes down my throat.

D- considering the high ABV this bad boy is only good for one or two a day at most. Finish a sixer of this and you will bein a coma. Good flavor and easy to put down for the most part.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

A- Light amber, one finger head.

S- Lots of citrusy hop aroma with an unusual underlying sweetness.

T- Wow, impressive to say the least. The instant this beer hits your lips it could be mistaken for any other DIPA, this is where the similarites stop. The assertive up front bitterness is amazingly balanced out by not only a solidly sweet malt profile but also a strong warming alcohol note. The alcohol note then dominates the finish.

M- Syrupy, yet still has good carbonation.

D- If you think this is "drinkable" then your balls are bigger than mine.

In my opinion this beer defines extreme beer. Simply a must try for any beer geek, especially hop heads. To be honest I didn't really "like" this beer but damn do I respect it.

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

A: Deep caramel brown/orange or the color of really rusty water. No transparency at all. Barely a head. Carbonation is there, but hard to view it.

S: Sweet molasses, burnt caramel, slight floral pine aroma, fermented juice, the high alcohol is perceived just at the end.

T: Tremendous sweet and tart collision right at the beginning. Lots of malt notes, baked breads, warm biscuits. The hops are in there but they are submerged under a burden of malt.

M: Creamy, chewy, astringent just for a passing moment.

D: This is a beer to be a appreciated more than drank. It's heavy and the taste can be shocking to the unaccustomed. I've had this beer before and it always takes a gracious amount of time and a lot of little sips in order to retire it.

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

a: bronze and turbid with slight haze that was probably due to my serving it too cold. finely b
eaded, thin and wispy but lasting head.

a: pears and apples. winey? minimal hops. etoh!!

taste: sweet and ?cidery?. hop note there and bitterness is there but its overwhelmed by sweetness. not being a big dogfish fan, i didnt realize that this was 21% when i opened it. I was suprised by the alcohol in aroma but this beer hides it amazingly well in taste. i would have guessed 12% before i read other reviews. alcohol more prevalent as it warms. lingering maltiness that is not in initial taste.

mouthfeel: tart and viscous(cant bring myself to type syrupy)

overall: not what i was expecting. my initial impression was not good(mentioned that it was served cool). a unique experience indeed. dfh should think about re-categorizing this beer, so as not to have people expecting a typical dipa although i cant find a reason that it doesnt technically fit. one of my first questions was "would i recognize this as beer if i didnt know?" would i pay 10$ for another? yes but just barely and i'd split it with at least one other person, because i need a nap.

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

Surprisingly extensive creamy head covers a light bronze haze. A candied aroma of apricot, pineapple and ginger succeeds at masking the high abv. The taste is fruity and spicy, and there really is no apparent bitterness from the hops. The alcohol is concealed very well by the generously carbonated and full-bodied mouthfeel. 120 Minute IPA is more drinkable than expected, and the only factor keeping it down is the high price (lucky for me or I wouldn't be walking away from this one). All in all this is a great "beer". Calling it a beer is a stretch. Calling it an IPA is comical. But calling it incredible is an understatement.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

This beer poured a very nice, hazy amber from the bottle. It left little head and what little there was dispersed pretty rapidly.

Smell is very strong on hops. Like being in a field of hops with the smell of hops being piped in from some other hops field. Of course with hops there's a little pine scent to it at well.

Wow, so ok, not what I expected at all. As it turns out this is a pretty sweet beer. Not like any other IPA I've ever had. It gets an 'A' for uniqueness, but a 'B-' for the style. Again, strong on hops flavor, minus the bitterness. Really, it's like sweet hops, it's hard to distinguish much else.

Mouthfeel was a bit of a let down as well. There's a reasonable amount of carbonation, but the beer still feels like is a bit too syrupy for an IPA.

Overall this is a reasonably drinkable beer, and at 21% abv, one or two of these and you're down anyway. I'd drink it again for sure.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2008 batch
12oz split to try mixing 120x90, 120x60, and a 120x90x60 cocktail - the bottom half to tulip glass so i could enjoy the delicious sediment, pours a HEAVY, thick, orangey amber, opaque, beautiful!

smells of hot hot alcohol, pine, sweetness, citrus, heavy heavy malts, bitter astringency

taste is sweet hot alcohol off the bat, extreme hops and malts, piney citrus flavors dominate, caramely, almost reminds me of OJ and vodka due to the bottle being so young, a very heavy sipper, hop resins cling and make your mouth tingle - almost like an assault on your mouth - wow

mouthfeel is thick, creamy, resiny, super bitter and complex - a delicious brew with a crazy high abv

yum

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

If anyone asks, Dogfish Head 90 is my favorite "everyday" beer. That's not to say that it isn't special, it's just that it is readily available and I wish I could drink it every day (but of course that would cause health problems). I have always loved it, and I have never aged any of it.

At first the Dogfish Head 60 was a disappointment to me. But I later realized what a dope I was. It was just something completely different. Now I love it, especially on tap.

A few years ago (when my son started at Purdue) I was able to procure a few bottles of 120 in Indiana (they can't sell it in Ohio - too much alcohol). They were around $10 each. I just let the suckers sit in storage until today, when I finally had one (I have been meaning to do this). I had good reason, I wanted to relax and enjoy something special - I deserve it. 120 did not disappoint.

I had an opportunity to buy preaged bottles of 120 at their brew pub in Delaware last summer but for whatever reason I passed (I am pretty sure the price was in the $15 range and I was already spending a bundle there). But the one I am drinking is one I aged myself. It's over two years old. Everything seems to be settling in on it.

It is sweet, hoppy, well balanced. There does not seem to be a boozy smell whatsoever. The alcohol is definitely there, but the smell is not. The smell actually is a bit weaker than I would like. Everything else about this beverage is what I would expect from a well aged, over hopped, over malted ale. Smooth.

It was worth the wait and the $10. Now I have to think about (1) when to drink the rest of them and (2) how to get some more to put up for later. And how the hell do you follow that act?

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Got this from the Liquor Loft in Tallahassee.

Pours a good copper color that lightens up to amber when held up to the light. Big two-finger white head that recedes into a thin layer of bubbles on top of the beer. Pretty cloudy, and not much lacing.

Smell is very sweet. The alcohol is also noticeable, and there's just the faintest tinge of hop bitterness.

Tastes very sweet as well. The alcohol is surprisingly well-hidden, but it does feel warm on the way down. There's a little taste of hop citrus at the beginning and end, and both the bitterness and the sweetness can be tasted when I lick my lips.

Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is at a good level, and it's very thick. Goes down as smooth as is to be expected with 21% ABV.

Rating the drinkability on this is hard. It's certainly a sipper, but for a beer this big it's pretty drinkable.

Overall I'm glad I finally got my hands on one of these. Very interesting, and worth a try.

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Dogfish Head's brewery has always been at the top of my list, but I just recently got a chance to sample their 120 minute IPA. This beer truly is the "holy grail for hopheads."

I poured mine into a tulip rimmed chalice at around 50 degrees. The color is light mahogany to oak. The initial head was frothy and thick which quickly reduced to a thin lacing around the edges to the end.

The aroma of alcohol, vinous fruit, and orange peels is only out-matched by the extreme hop presence.

Upon first taste mouthfeel is huge and the alcohol is almost too much at low temperatures. Better serve this beer around 55-58 degrees to minimize the alcohol bite and let the hops take control (let's face it that's why you wanted this beer anyways).

The taste is hoppy and full but not bitter. I think the alcohol cuts the bitterness into shreads. The twang is almost in line with a flanders style red. If you love the flemish sour ales you will absolutely love this!

The carbonation is reduced as a result of the long fermintation, but it isn't missed. The bottle variety is almost like a cask ale (without the oak overtone).

I will definately keep the other three I bought in storage for a while as these need some time to cure (probably 2 years plus). I loved it and I think in a few years I'll love it even more. I think trying a flight of these from five different years would be interesting. I would liken its current taste to a Samichlaus Helles. Enjoy this one slowly!

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Cloudy murky. Off white head. Very unappealing color

Smell: Wonderful grassy, earthy, and piney hops. Very aromatic.

Taste: Hops aggressive. Winey flavors due to high ABV. Excellent balance

Mouthfee: Great warming from the alcohol. Wonderfully smooth. Not too heavy.

Drinakablity: A sipping beer that is to be enjoyed on a special occasion.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Like the 90 minute, you'll love smelling this one. Unlike the 90 minute, you'll love the smell more than the taste, but the tast is still good.

It's nearly identical in appearance to the 90, but no real head. A head is not necessary for me, and sometimes a turnoff, personal preference. So this is ideal on that front.

The taste is heavy, and knocks your socks off at first. The further you get into the 12 oz glass, the taste seems to build on teh long lasting residual aftertaste.

It's good to split, actually it's perfect for that. I finished this beer in an hour and needed a nap not knowing the alcohol content. A definite sipping beer to sniff for long intervals between sips. I nurse it throughout the occasional hockey game, and it suits that well.

The taste is syrupy. There is a hot spiciness from the hops and alcohol content, if you have one two days in a row, your throat will burn the second day. It is intense, but tasty and imaginative. Well deserving to be the choice special occasion beer for hop heads.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

My bottle is the latest batch to come out as it was bottle 7/7/08. Poured into a snifter because I was told this batch was maltier than the usual so I figured I would go with that instead of a winge glass or tulip. Poured a cloudy auburn with gold tints that gave one-finger head that stuck around forever and left a slight lace ring. A complex array of sweet malts like caramel, butterscotch and maybe honey or something. Also in the nose is a great hop presenece that brings both citric fruit notes (lemon) and some tart and dark fruits like sour apples, pear and a little black cherry. My first instinct when trying this is that it would be a "hopbomb", and it VERY hoppy, there is a thickness and stickiness to it from the sweet malts (mostly caramel in this regard). There is also tart and citric fruit tastes in this fuller-bodied beer that rolls across the tongue for the most part (like I said, a tad sticky at some points). The only drawback is a very minor alcohol burn on the backbite which stems from the immense ABV%. For that reason (the ABV, not the burn) and the cost (I'm not rich) prevent me from sessioning this bad boy. This reminded me a of Belgian Triple and maybe a heavy Dubbel, and is one of the best beers I've had in a long, long time. If you haven't tried the current batch I recommend so immediately.

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So I've been holding back to actually reviewing on this site, self conscious I guess, but I think tonight with this beer is finally the time to write an actual review. How could I not start with a 120?

A: Deep golden amber, thin white head that dissipates to a ring quickly. If it was a girl, I'd call it pretty. It looks pretty. Weird, but whatever this is an amazing beer.

S: Hops, but not the usual hop smell. This is hops packed in candy. A sweetness that is unusual in beer. This almost smells crystallized. Crystallized hops.

T: Smooth, sweet hoppiness. Not overwhelming at all. A slight citrus flavor, backed up by sweetness. I can't taste any alcohol, except perhaps for a brief hint at the mid-throat level. 40 proof? Completely hidden.

M: The carbonation is light, but it still feels like silk. Yum.

D: Could I have more than one? Yes. But this is something to share.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

dogfish head is a favorite of mine in general. do i like every beer they make? i would be lying if i answered yes. however, where as i dont love all of them thru and thru, i do respect and love their attitude to experiment and adventure with their beer. they really put their money where their mouth is and you have to respect that.

the 120 i have had was on tap. i have had it twice so far. once at the actual brewery where they were serving an oak aged version and now at julians. at julians it doesnt say that it is the oak aged but i have a very stron suspicion that it is indeed the same beer.

first off, its a twenty percenter so prepare to have ONE and surely do it on a full stomach. It has a nice amber color with a faint head more similar to a cider, as in barely but a few bubbles on top.

the smell is amazing. floral. hoppy. alcoholly.

the taste is surreal. very complex like an expensive wine that occasionally reminds you that you do indeed like wine. the chain of flavors is perfectly segregated but blended so well and smoothly. first you taste the bitter, the hops, the spring like floral powder. then you get the grapefruit and citrus sweetness. lastly a dry oaky finish. really a wild ride. so smooth. so smooth that although you do feel the alcohol you barely notice it while you are drinking despite how strong it is on the nose initially.

obviously not something to drink everyday but you must at least once treat yourself to this delicious brew.

4.55/5  rDev +11%

Solidly cloudy deep orange, with some fade to cloudy deep gold, and a creamy creamy cap.

Woahwah! It's super caramel malty and simply gushing with fruits. Bitter and spicy, damn tasty, supremely sippable, syrupy uber-full smooth, and a thickly creamy carb.

Glad I split this bottle, but a worthy beer for certain. Well deserved reputation. A hop-head's hard alcohol.

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Here before me, a 120 Minute IPA. Bottled in '03. The beer poured a great looking very light head. The coloring was a dark amber-brown with some orange hints when held up to light.

The smell was very floral and fruity. The aromatics consisted of apricot, peach, and honey.

The taste of the beer continues on this apricot trend. In addition, there are elements of mango, and more honey. There is a pretty significant malt flavor as well. The alcohol, which is a major talking point about this beer, is well hidden through the drinking, but rises up a bit during the aftertaste.

The texture of this beer is more like wine than beer. Thick, sticky, sweet, and a numbing due to the alcohol. I feel like I have a sterilized tongue, then someone comes in with a flavor injection.

As far as drinkability, obviously you wouldn't want to have more than one. In fact, I had to wait till the next day to write the review. However, for the punch that this beer packs, it hides the alcohol taste well, and it is highly enjoyable and is a highly drinkable brew.

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Bought a 12 oz. bottle of this at a grocery store in Portland, Oregon, and brought it home to Ohio. Decanted into a white wine glass (tall sides, nice and open).

It looks just like apple cider: cloudy brownish-red, with a thin rim of white lace. It's delicious - makes me look forward to fall.

The first thing I notice with my nose in the glass is a sharp twang of alcohol, followed by a bunch of strong sweet, fruity notes. It smells like apple cider spiked with brandy or rum. Strong sugar notes, too: brown sugar and molasses. Can't detect a hit of the hops.

The taste is dominated by the alcohol and sweet notes as well. Begins with a big cut of alcohol, then again the brown sugar, apples, molasses, and a general boozy sense kick in. There's some bitterness in the finish, like apple skins, although there is a bitter herbal hoppiness in the aftertaste. For something marketed as "The Imperial India Pale Ale," I expected more of this off-the-hook hoppiness, when instead I'm getting strong boozy characteristics. This honestly reminds me of DFH's Raison D'extra more than the 60 or 90 Minute IPAs.

Mouthfeel is pretty thick, again like a heavy cider. Seems a good complement to the bold flavors.

You have to drink this slowly because of the high, high alcohol and the overt sweetness. Interesting experience; glad I tried one, but I probably won't go back for another.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Poured a medium burnt caramel-orange with a thin, creamy light beige head that had some orange hues to it. The head diminished rather quickly while the lacing was clean. Visible carbonation was light.

S: The nose was very sweet, with pungent pink grapefruit with sugary notes and a beautiful floral aroma. Some tangerines and sweet pine also are detected rounding out the aroma which was very nice.

T: The initial flavor was pungent pink grapefruit with a big sugary sweetness and floral hoppiness. There was some tangerines, sweet caramel and sweet pine resin also detected. A sticky caramel and sweet grapefruit hop lacing is found on the finish with only a slight alcohol awareness of the massive 20% abv. which is beautifully masked by the huge sweet malting and citrusy sweet hopping. The finish finds a dry floral, pine hopping and a beautiful balance of sweet caramel malts and hops that simply has to be experienced by oneself.

M: The mouthful is oily, thick and viscose with sticky sweet grapefruit and pine resin and caramel with a dry flora bitterness on the fade. There is a spicy alcohol nature upon warming but is very subdued considering the 20% abv.

D: Amazing drinkability, hardly any detection of the massive 20% abv nature which could be dangerous. A monster ipa that was beautifully crafted and balanced. Needless to say one should be plenty enough for an evenings enjoyment. Comes highly recommended and worthy of its price per pound. You just gotta taste this for yourself.

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Being a huge fan of Imperial IPAs I have to say Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA is like the dessert to end all desserts of India Pale Ales. It has a sweetness comparable to an english style barleywine ale with a delicious hint of piney robust hops at the end.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery