120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,133 | Reviews: 2,126
3.52/5  rDev -14.4%

Dogfish's 120 is a example of having too much of good thing. For those who have not have had 60 or 90, DO NOT START WITH THIS! A true Imperial IPA, copious amount of pine and grapefruit. It pours a good head in a wine glass or pint. Truly a beer geek's beer...my wife hated this beer.

This is a well-made beer, and I certainly enjoy haivng one every now and then, but more a treat than a beer staple.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on 5/1/09.

A: Dark amber body with an impressively vigorous head which leaves some lacing.

S: Sugary sweetness and alcohol hit you like a ton of bricks. Hardly any trace of hops.

T: Total malt bomb. Caramelly sweetness with a faint trace of hops that show up mostly in the aftertaste. Astonishingly, alcohol is barely detectable. It comes across more like an English barleywine than any IPA. In fact, I'd say the beer I've had that matches its flavor profile the most is Thomas Hardy's Ale.

M: Syrupy, almost sludgy.

D: You know, I'd like to see how this would have turned out if DFH had followed the logical progression and made this 12% ABV. As it is, it's probably the biggest beer the average beer geek will have access to. But don't be afraid. As long as you treat it with respect, it's a gentle giant. It certainly carries its weight more gracefully then WWS. It may not be a very good IPA, but it's an excellent after-dinner beer.

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

I enjoyed this beer on tap at the Hulmeville Inn, located in Hulmeville, PA. It was served in a 12 oz chalice.

The beer poured golden amber and relatively clear for an imperial IPA. I guess the aging of the keg might have added in clarification. Only a trace amount of head.

Very faint smell of hops. Unfortunately the Hulmeville permits smoking, so I can only assume that the true aroma was masked by cigarette smoke.

The first sip reveals extremely bitterness; almost sour taste, with a harsh alcohol presence that slightly burns the mouth. The flavor is vastly complex, malty, with notes of currants. This beer tastes what dank hops smell like. I've smelled some dank IPA's before, but this brew tastes like what other beers smell like.

This beer finishes bone dry with flavors revealing themselves along the way. Amazing beverage, but 12 ounces is a bit much. I would have rather enjoyed it in an 8-ounce snifter. This is truly a beer that should be experienced by any IPA or hophead enthusiast.

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

It pours a medium bright clear orange that is very pretty. The head is a very light tan or off white that only rises about half a finger and is gone quickly. There is light lacing.

The aroma is very strong, bitter crazy, almost so strong you it overwhelms your olfactory senses all once and drives them down so you don't smell it anymore. There is also a light citrus note.

The taste is very surprising, the aroma is totally misleading. The first you get a burst of sweetness of citrus and then get some light hops and towards the end a burst of hops an alcohol. The flavor is very complex but not very remisicant of an ipa or how hoppy I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel is heavy and complex. Drinkability is very good considerin its abv.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. Not sure what year this is but I'll assume its a 2009 vintage. Beer is orange / brown, high haze, thin white head, tiny to medium bubbles, carbonation mild. The beer clarifies as it warm, it becomes almost completely clear, this is chill haze. They should just add "chill haze" to the style description of DIPA since I have yet to have one that does not have this characteristic, and I penalize all of them for it.

Aroma is strong, full of hops and alcohol, malt sweetness, it is a lot to take in. Smells more solventy than I expect, slight deduction.

Beer is very sweet and has a lot of bitterness at the back end. The sweetness is a mixture of alcohol / solvency and malt character. It is very interesting and the hop bitterness is well balanced. This is NOTHING like the 90 minute IPA. Let us be clear, they are different beasts. It is not as thin as I thought it would be and the mouthfeel is really great. This beer is surprisingly (dangerously) easy to drink. Drinkability very high. A well crafted fine DIPA, more like a QIPA. Overall a good drink, this is probably the third or forth time I've had it, still a good drink.

4.15/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Two reviews, one bottle at 3 months old, and another at 1.25 years.

Fresher:

Pours with no head, just a thin wisp of bubbles covering the surface, very hazy golden-peach-pink. Smells surprisingly like an English barleywine, sweet cream balanced with fresh hops, the alcohol shows up, a hotness in the sinuses, but for the abv totally reasonable. Flavor is amazing and vibrant, this thing is HUGE, reminds me of a beer version of Sauternes, all acidic honeyed oranges down the sides of my tongue, super bright golden cherries. Very juicy, the finish is long and mellow with a surprisingly mellow rolling bitterness, looong finish.

Aged:

Pours an 1/8th inch head which fades quickly down to spotty cover and solid ring of bubbles, a little lacing, but tons of alcohol legs. Golden where thin, deepens to peachy-pink. The nose hits me with some alcohol, sweet malts, lightly bready and lemony-sweet. The taste is a little shallow, mostly sweet pale caramel, a sugary-fruitiness. There's a subtle vegetal bitterness in the finish. There's a light alcohol sting on the tongue. Thin, yet coating mouthfeel, like watered down honey, balanced out by a light spritzy carbonation. Seems diminished, but a lot of dogfish bottles go through an awkward middle age to become really great a few years down the road, or so I've heard. One left from this bottling, I'll crack it open in a couple more years.

I'm rating this against the fresher of the two, as I think it's better and a fairer thing to do. I rated the drinkablity of this one a four point five, not that I would ever session this monster, but it goes down amazingly easy considering it's abv.

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into my brand new Duvel tulip. Thick, reddish-orange body. Small foamy head shrinks quickly but never disappears. Small amount of white lacing creeps down the side of the glass.

Aroma is, in a word, heavenly. Very floral (rose petals?) and very fruity (strawberry, peach, cherry). It beckons me from across the room like a scent cloud that forms into a curled finger like in those old school Daffy Duck cartoons.

Taste is ... wow. This is one bad ass IIPA. The intense flavors are almost too complex to describe. I'm getting cherry, orange peel, bourbon and strawberry. Extremely sweet, borderline cloying. Very thick, syrupy mouthfeel. The alcohol at the back end is quite warming, but it doesn't hit me until the last second. Slick on the way down.

Drinkability is way too smooth for a beer this big. But at + 20% ABV, I can't see drinking more than one. Hell, if I had more than one I wouldn't be seeing much of anything.

Dare I say, the best IIPA I've ever had the pleasure of partaking in. Big ups to Kevin's dad for bringing this to me from MD.

4.34/5  rDev +5.6%

First off all it took me way too long to drink this...this...gift from the hop gods.

A: The appearance was surprising to me. It didn't pour much of a head due to the alcohol content, but the bright amber color more than made up for it.

S: Hops along with some coriander and orange peel with hops hops hops hops hops. Incredible.

T: The beer was not aged. It had a sweet taste that caught me off guard. I was expecting all hops. They were there but in no way overpowering. The alcohol doesn't hit you until the back end and it is very very smooth.

M: Thick and syrupy. Understandable with a beer of this magnitude.

D: I could maybe put two of these down in one sitting. Just a beer that is in your face and makes no apologies...and I adore that.

What a beverage. That is all I have to say about that.

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

So onto Dogfish Head 120 Min IPA a few days after sampling their Palo Santo Marron...

This one is a sweet, "thin syrup" like beer that tastes like somebody had tried to make some sort of alcoholic grapefruit marmalade including an IPA in the recipe ... more hops in the smell than the taste, which becomes more reminiscent of a sweet barley wine such as J.W. Lees Harvest Ale...but with that grapefruit twist.

Pouring into a narrow flute this gave a pretty deep foaming head that lingered throughout the tasting.

Onto the verdict ... well, like the Palo Santo Marron it certainly stands out from the crowd and like the PSM I absolutely loved it. As my very favourite beers include the Cantillon sours and the more bitter DIPA's this surprised me!

No way I could drink this all night but this bottle went down like a dream and I had no problems finishing it at all ... more please, but maybe not tonight :o)

4.94/5  rDev +20.2%

Got this at Dunedin House of Beer and poured it into a sniffer. Thick head that dissapates quickly, orange/amber in color, some laceing on the glass when swirlled.

Wow Wow Wow. What a awesome smell. I get cirus aromas big time. Also the alcohol is picked up easilly and some pine notes that are a bit more sudel. You can also pick up the sweetness of the malts used to brew this beast!

Damn I died and whent to hop heaven. What a killer taste. Surprisingly sweet when sipped quickly and hugely bitter the longer you keep it in your mouth. Just awesome well worth the 12 dollar price I could sip on this all night!
Very thick almost syrup like. Its quite balanced the sweetness/hops/alcohol wow!

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Serving type - 12 oz. Bottle

Appearance - An orange-ish amber hue, similar to other IPA's. Forms a tan head upon pour with a good lacing.

Smell - Dense malts, and loads of hops. You can tell upon smell that it's going to be pretty extreme.

Taste - Wooah!! Very different, that's for sure. A massive explosion of hop flavor is complimented by a huge amount of malty sweetness. Very sweet, yet somehow, surprisingly balanced. Doesn't taste like a traditional IPA, in the sense that it is much sweeter. But the hops still dominate the palate. Beer candy is the best way to describe it.

Mouthfeel - A full bodied beer, with medium carbonation (would you expect anything less than a full bodied beer @ 20% ABV?).

Drinkability - The scary part about this beer is how drinkable it is for how strong it is. The extremely strong flavor will probably make most choose to savor it, but I was expecting something harder to drink for a beer of this strength (strong flavors conceal the high ABV). Any more than one of these is asking for some serious drunk time though.

Overall - A very unique beer, and definitely something I think every beer fan should try at least once, even if you're not a fan of traditional pale ales or IPA's.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Murky honey, off white head, leaves to disk... Lots of bubbly cling lace.

S - Fresh pungent hops and dense malt. Grapefruit, et al abount.

T - Taste follow smell. Yummy deep malt enveloped by hard core juicy fruity hops.

M - Medium to heavy, good carb, great coat, balance good considering the ABV.

D - Man, good for what it is. Hard to maintain, though.

2.93/5  rDev -28.7%

Cheery wood red color, not so much beige foam.
Malty and hoppy smell. Or better, a lot of resinous hop over the maltiness.
In the taste the hop is again the master, overwhelming. Too much.
Bitter, too much. Strong grapefruit and bitter orange notes.
Aftertaste? Hop, hop, hop.
Extreme.

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

All my thanks to JJFoodie for one of my best trades to date, this beer being the main focus on my end.

This one is the very epitome of copper-colored. A creamy head sits sturdily on top of this one, taking a good while to dissipate and leaving a thick ring of lacing followed by some spottier lacing in the glass.
The smell is sweeter than I expected. Not having read any reviews on this one beforehand, but well aware of the hype, I wasn't sure what to expect. There's lots of character and depth here, from caramelized sugars to dark fruits to possibly cane sugar to yeast to alcohol to barley (malt) and floral hops.
The sweetness is incredibly strong. Aside from the alcohol, this element is enough to keep one from chugging. All of the complexities from the nose are in here, and the hops are quite strong underneath all the booze and sweetness. This absolutely must be sipped.
The feel of this one is fairly thick, quite rich and creamy in feel. The body is medium to full. There's a light to moderate carbonation, and a crisp bite adds to the feel as well.
This one is obviously well-crafted; while some may have difficulty with the extremity of the sweetness, the complexity and balance in this one can't be denied, and it feels great. While this one's very good, drinkability's much lower than the quality might typically account for due to the extremely high alcohol content and the sweetness that forces this one to be a sipper. I'd certainly drink more than one in a sitting, but it might knock me out.

3.42/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally found this in Vegas.

I love the huge hop on the label. Way cool.

Pours a caramel/copper/apple juice color. The appearing head quickly vanishes to a few bubbles.

Aroma consists of sweet candy, prunes and alcohol. Reminds me of an old or strong ale.

Inital sweetness on the taste quickly kicks into a rush of candy and booze. There is a slight alcohol burn on the swallow. Definitely a sipping beer and a cigar would pair with this nicely.

Putting one back on my own was tough and would make most call it a night after one.

Overall the major sweetness and booziness was a hindrance in my enjoyment and my ability to call this a "world class" beer. Definitely happy I tried it though.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

I was excited to try this beer as the availability is very limited. I was expecting more of a head upon the pour but that's not very important to me. The aroma is complex and gives hints of cinnamon, raisins, and carmel. Upon initial taste I was surprised that a slight sweetness presented itself. Overall it's a medium body beer with plenty of character that changes sip after sip. Has a long finish that's not bitter which is surprising for a 120 minute IPA. Can only have 1 or 2 in a sitting as the ABV is very high. Cheers

2.9/5  rDev -29.4%

This beer should be drank for novelty purposes only.

Appearance: Tangerine-golden with thick tan head

Smell: Hops, grapefruit, malt, yeast

Taste: Woh...very sweet malt, bread, vinegary, with slight toast, not a whole lot of hops

Mouthfeel: Sticky thickness, lingering rotten/yeasty feel

Drinkability: Maybe palatable in a shot glass...

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

I have long considered 120 to be a real treat and usually order it when it's on tap. Lately though, I've been dissappointed with its quality on tap. This has always been a nice, deep, copper/amber color with good clarity. Lately though, it has been served very cloudy, almost milky in color.

This problem doesn't seem to affect the taste or aroma, though, and I've always been impressed with Dogfish's ability to make this beer. True, it has tons of alcohol sweetness but that is balanced by almost unfathomable proportions of hop flavor and aroma. I'm constantly amazed that a beer this strong can still resemble beer.

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

Highly sought after beer. Being looking for this one for four years now! Thanks to a coworker for bringing this back up here in Montreal.

First constatation @ pouring: surprisingly liquid. Honestly, I was expecting something more liquorous, as of a port wine. Served @ 10-12 oC. Thin head forming and disepearing quickly, in less then 30sec.

Nose: Very strong nose of alcohol. Complex fruit aroma. Sweet malt burst out, literally. Floral aroma is strong. I should say impressive, certainly because of the tons of hops used is this brew. This results in mostly in floral aroma, forget anything dominating citrusy/piny nose as of regular IPAs. Mint is detectable. Caramel & toffee, sugar cane too are noted. Bitterness is surely present, but completely submerge by the high amount of residual sugar from the malt. This tempers downs a lot the pungent bitterness of the hops.

Lacing on the glass is not quite as a port wine, but very impressive for a beer. Alcohol in mouth is very impressive. You can easily compare it to a port wine. Carbonation is low, medium-low at most. In mouth, this beer is almost oily. I'm sure that if you would be able to strip down all the alcohol is this beer, the amount of hops oil in your glass would decant on top of your beer!

Overall: Impressive beer. Certainly not for the faint of heart. Worth trying, but forget having a few of this beer on the same evening. Very loading. Very challenging. Very DFH! Will age very well for MANY years.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased At: Steve's Liquor (Madison, WI)

Appearance: Pours an amber orange color with a surprisingly good amount of head. A steady stream of bubbles are floating up to the top of my glass from the center of the tulip. The head slowly faded away and there is now a thin layer of white bubbles and foam at the top of my glass.

Smell: Not the typical nose from an IIPA, but still pleasant. The alcohol makes its appearance, leading me towards the smell of a hard liquor like whiskey or brandy (I'm not much a hard liquor drinker, so I can't really pinpoint which one). Blending with the alcohol is the generous amount of hops they used to while boiling and dry hopping. Some citrus and earthy notes are unveiled, including raisins, apricot, grapefruit, orange and some pine and soil.

Taste: I expected the alcohol to be more visible on the palate than it actually is. I held out on buying this beer given the price because, quite frankly, I didn't expect this to be as good as it is. The alcohol is well hidden. I've drank IPA's with half the ABV than this one and they've revealed their alcohol notes much more.

This beer isn't as bitter as one might expect given the hop profile. It's a rather neutral beer, not being too sweet, but also not being very bitter. The palate is picking up sweetness from the caramel malts, alcohol in the form of brandy, and then finishing up with some earthy and citrus hops including the same flavors mentioned in the nose above.

Mouthfeel: Well this is just a bit odd, but I like it! If the alcohol were stripped out of this, I think you'd feel the normal coating of the mouth with hop oils. Now that the ABV is so high, the oils aren't as pronounced, but there is still a coating of the teeth, tongue and gums.

Drinkability: Too many people are knocking this down in drinkability because of the ABV. This is the style of beer they were after. I don't think it's fair to rate beer consistently based upon the status quo. While this beer is in the IIPA category, it's unlike many of it's sisters.

I don't want to drink a bomber of this in an evening, but this is a well put together beer and I'm glad I tried it. I can't say it will end up in my crate very often given the price tag, but I will mostly certainly pick this up again and keep it for a rainy (or quite special) day. I'm not a huge DFH fan, but hats off to Sam for this one.

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 12oz. bottle into a goblet:

A - amber brown color, thin head.

S - Smells strongly of alcohol and citrusy hops.

T - Alchohol dominates the taste. Sweet and thick as well. Hops are very evident.

M - Heavy bodied, lightly carbonated.

D - Not what I expected, cant say this is very drinkable. Very strong and harsh. I kind of developed a palette for it by the end. Different but not my normal cup of tea.

2.39/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

DFH is probably aware that you can't make a beer like this and have unanimous positive reviews.
After it poured a nice orangish copper color with minimal head (a warning of the intensely high abv), everything went downhill from there.
Instead of a combination of malt and hop characteristics, this thing is huge interweaving of confectionary sweetness and heavy alcohol fumes. Both cloying and burning, the syrupy texture was almost sickening in my opinion.
I only drank maybe 2 ounces of the 12 ounce bottle before offering it around to anyone who might like a try before ultimately getting rid of it. Huge waste of 10 bucks.
Try it if you must, there isn't anything else out there like it, but its such a stretch of any preconceived boundary that I could not enjoy it.

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance is a orangey red color. About a one finger head that leaves a nice lace.

Smell, well definitely and alcohol scent. also something i wanna say citrusy and floral.

taste, as you might expect, this beer is how do you say "harsh" yeah harsh that sounds about right.

mouthfeel very intense, stings the tastebuds. Not too heavy on the palate though.

drinkability I found is very low. Too much of an alcohol taste. Doesnt go down easy.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Single bottle served in a snifter glass at the Dogfish Ale Cafe in Gaithersburg, MD. Nice orange color - not much foam on the glass though.

Smell - strong in the hops, but there is definitely something sweet and floral in this drink.

Taste is not at all what I expected. First hops (bergamot) followed by something very sweet (almost sugary), then grapes, and a slight bitter finish. You can also taste the alcohol, but just barely under the sweet and the bitter.

Mouthfeel - no carbonation on the tongue that I noted, nothing special really, but I'll admit to being very uneducated on this point.

Drinkability - due to the high alcohol content and the unusual flavors I'd say that this is a beer to enjoy if you like cognacs. This beer reminded me more of a cognac, which is something you sit back and savor. I view it as a good experience and worth drinking, but not something that I would go out of my way for.

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

Aged about one year.

Cloudy golden blood orange color with a thin offwhite head which drops to a skim almost immediately.

Scent is solvent alcohol, oranges, citrus.

Taste is intensely sweet. Sticky sweet. Sugar on your teeth sweet. Very strong flavor sits on the palate and doesn't budge. Seems like an orange citrus licquor more than anything.

Mouth is sticky sweet and coating.

Drinkability is not high, of course, being as this is a 20+ percent beer.

Well, had to try it but don't think I'll buy it again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery