120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
1.23/5  rDev -70.1%

I'm under the impression at this point that my review is unfair as I believe I got an outdated bottle. There is an overwhelming taste of vinegar in this beer inducing gag reflex in every sip. I simply can't finish this beer. Again, I may have gotten a bad bottle.

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Pours a gorgeous orange / dark amber with a thin white head.

S: HOPS! Lychee flavors galore. Resonant fruit-flavored hard candy sweetness permeates the background.

T: Gorgeous barleywine taste with freshly made caramel and sugar cane. Hops slowly ease in and then saturate the palate. The sweet malt to hop taste conversion is perfect. Every drop of this radiates with flavor and juiciness. Aftertaste is somewhat phenolic and reminiscent of Lillet. I think this is what people are referring to when they say "sweet, sweet beer".

M: Extremely heavy wth an oily and slick feel as it enters the mouth and goes down.

D: This is one stellar brew, meant only to be sipped. At $10 a bottle, this was completely worth it.

3.32/5  rDev -19.2%

Served in a snifter, my first taste of this famous and infamous brew.

A: A dark copper-orange color, which is quite pretty. No head to speak of, naturally.

S: Interestingly, when I smelled first out of the bottle, I smelled only hops, and I was really excited. When I poured into the snifter, it really came alive, and not entirely in a better way. Some very strong paint-thinner edge, which is essentially the primary aroma.

T: Extremely sweet up front, tastes an orange-lemon-hop syrupy extract. It is a little bitter on the finish, but no nearly enough to balance the crazy sweetness. I do like some things about it though, and the taste is definitely more agreeable than the aroma to me, as the paint-thinner parts were able to translate to non-paint-thinner flavors.

M: Extraordinarily slick and syrupy, yet I wouldn't say it is undercarbonated at all. In fact considering what the 21% ABV might predict in regards to carbonation I'd say the carb levels are much higher than expected, and I think that is important and helps the beer a great deal.

D: Drinkability is probably the most subjective category, because there isn't really a good definition to go off of in the first place. Can I drink it? Definitely, it tastes good and I paid a premium for it. Can I (or anyone really) have more than one? Very unlikely, not to mention I paid a premium for it. But considering the extremity of the beer, I think drinkability is average.

A very interesting beer. If I didn't dislike the aroma so much, I think I really would have liked it. Maybe next time I'll leave it in the bottle ;)

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Had this after a DFH 60 minute and 90 minute IPA.

Bottled on 11/06/08. Reviewed on June 4 of the following year.

Pours a beautiful, rich copper with a fizzy, clingy head which dies down to a thin film and then dies down to nothing at all. Some lacing but nothing to write beer advocate about.

Smells like brandy and canned pears, maybe some apricot. For something that was supposedly dry hopped every day for a month I'm surprised how little hops I pick up in the nose. I just get sweet fruity booze. No bad thing. It smells good. Just not like any dry hopped Imperial IPA I've ever had before.

Holy estery esters of estrosity batman! Tastes like candied pears drizzled in brandy. Some bitterness. A super hit of dizzyingly warming alcohol with every sip. Fruity and boozy are the two words which best describe this. Almost more like a sweet mead than a beer.

Mouthfeel is full...and sticky. It kind of coats the tongue with sugar and numbs it with alcohol. I'm finding I need to sip some water in between sips of this. Yeah. This is a beer to savour slowly. Very slowly.

Alas, if this is the holy grail for hops heads that the label suggests then I did not choose wisely. Because, honestly, it's decidedly unhoppy. It's more than anything sugary. If it's in any way bitter it's far more cloying and the saccharine beats the bitterness by a longshot. And holy fuck is it ever alcoholic

American Double/Imperial IPA? Not really. A double imperial quadrupel india pale eisbock barley wine brewed with yeast that was on steroids....maybe. If beer is a social lubricant than this is more like a social anesthetic.

Sam Calagione is the devil. I mean that in a good way. I could see this beer being even better with some age because it sure kicked me in my ass, and I'd love to try it again after it mellows out a bit.

2.68/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter.

A - Poured a dark honey colored with some haze to it. a .5 in head that left quick and left a nice thin mat.

S - Smell initially of some pears and peaches. Then the warm alcohol gets in there.

T - Taste is very fruity and sweet. Alcohol quickly warms the tongue. There are some hints of pale malt in there with bread hints and then subtle hops after tastes and floral hints. Most of these come at the end of it. Honey sweetness is extremely present.

M - Very oily and full bodied. Complex.

D - Not my favorite. Its a nice experiment to have once but I prefer other IIPA's

4.44/5  rDev +8%

A- pours golden brown with no head. Looks like apple cider, actually. Cloudy/milky appearance, like coffee with a creamer or unfiltered apple juice.

S- Like smelling concentrated hop oil. You've never smelled a beer like this.

T- WOW. Taste kicks you in the face. What's surprising, though, is you taste the hops and a sweetness, but you don't taste the alcohol. You can taste it, however, after you exhale. This is more like 'hop juice' than it is a beer. This really is the holy grail for hop heads.. You have to try this just to experience the first sip. After the initial shock wears off and the alcohol numbs your tastebuds, the beer gets a little mellower and the flavors start to really work well.

M- Very nice, considering the alcohol content. Not too carbonated. Warm going down.

D- I'm mixed on this, it goes down very smooth considering it tops out at 20%, which is insane. You're better off splitting a bottle or only having 1 12 oz for yourself, though. Doing 2 of these in a night would almost certainly cause you a lot of problems. About 1/3 of the way through, my head started feeling really warm. This packs a ridiculous punch, which is compounded by its drinkability.

Final thoughts: I buy 4-6 of these a year. Good for a special occasion, but more than 1 of these a month and you'll overdo it. Still, these store every well, I have put a couple in storage and have been satisfied with how well they sit. Dogfish hits the bullseye with this beer and show again how they are on the forefront of brewing. An extreme extreme beer on steroids, this beer is not for the weak. I suggest you develop a taste for some of the higher DIPAs before you try and crack this one.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Hazy liquid in a 12 oz bottle. I didn't have a chance to pour this one in a glass.

S - Very sour apples.

T - Shery, mixed with apples very srtong.

M - Burns, a weid aftertaste that sticks with you ahwile.

D - I gave this a 3.5 - because why would you quickly drink another?

This beer is its own beast, Search it out and drink it just because it is what it is. 21% hardcore fun. While on a beer scale it is not number one, it should at leat be tried once!!

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

Yeah, it's good, but I'm surprised that it's not even better. Maybe, I just fell victim to the hype or I'm making untoward comparisons, but at 21% abv, this beer should be better. I'm not slamming 120 min. I thoroughly enjoyed my bottle. It was delicious and probably a testament to the skill of the brewery that the alcohol is felt so little. However, at 10% abv higher than the best DIPA in the world (Pliny the Younger, in my experience), I was expecting some sort of extreme flavor or something otherwise outlandish. The mouthfeel isn't even as thick as many a much lower proof barleywine. At any rate, the beer is a fairly thick golden liquid with a good head. The hops dominate with a citric-orange flavor, but the malt isn't terribly far behind with an excellent caramel sweetness. The beer is fairly sweet but, shockingly, never cloyingly so. I may not understand Sam Calagione and co., but they are very, very skilled brewers. This beer was very good, just not at all what I was expecting.

3.42/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

minimal head. hazy dark amber body.

very fruity boozy smells. apricot and a little spicyness do little to mask the booze.

apricot comes through. very boozy still. sweet almost molasses flavors. i think this one borders on the liquior category.

little carbonation and syrupy body. Not my type of beer, but def wow factor.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

As I open this beer I get bombarded with a dose of pinesol smelling hops. It pours a murky copper/brown with some floaters, almost looks like apple cider. A thin white head, some nice lacing.

Smells of really piney hops, sweet citrusy malts, apple cider, wine, vineger, alcohol, very complex.

Tastes sweet and cidery upfront, a nice piney hop aftertaste, not really balanced, seems more sweet than a hopbomb. The alcohol is very well hidden and will creep up on you for sure.

Thick cidery mouthfeel, not too carbonated. This is a sipper for sure, an interesting beer, possibly the strongest beer I'll ever try!

*Update 01/14/2013*

Just opened a beer from June 2009 and wow does this bad boy ever age well! The alcohol is very well hidden, alot of the same flavours come through, but highly drinkable and delicious. I recommend aging this!

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a dark deep copper/orange hue. Lots of head and lots of lacing. Simply looks super thick, sticky and syrupy. Piney, grassy, and grapefruity... all the hop culprits. Slight honey sweetness with an alcohol twinge. Basically a hug hop bomb followed by a HUGE alcohol burn. My tongue is immediately covered by the citrus hops. I'd like to thin we could handicap 20% beers but this thing is a sipper if ther ever was one! it took me 2.5 hrs to finish a 12oz'r

3.36/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

smells and tastes very sweet (almost too sweet) and very alcoholly. very syrupy and a sipper only. I had to try this due to the hype but honestly it's not worth it. I love beer and can drink a lot but I can't drink much of this 12oz bottle and will toss the 2nd half. I can't finish this and will have something else instead.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass!

Appearance= Deep orange, crystal clear. One finger of off white head slowly dissipated into a thin film and eventually disappeared all together.

Aroma= intensely complex- a mix of alcohol, rich malty sweetness, caramel, and piney/resinous/citrus/grapefruit hop notes merry together in the nose. almost smells like cognac.

Taste= malty sweetness hits the front of the tongue first, followed by a myriad of flavors (similar to aroma) from the over-the-top amount of hops used in the creation of this beer. hop bitterness tickles the sides and back of the tongue. finishes with a relatively good balance between bitter and sweet- though the bitterness and dry hop flavors linger on the back of the tongue for quite some time as the malty sweetness fades.

Mouthfeel= medium to low carbonation, slightly syrup-like, with a complex and full body. slightly warming from the alcohol content.

Drinkability= dangerously drinkable for a >20% ABV beer- though the cognac-esque nature of the beer begs you to sip and enjoy slowly! increases in aroma and flavor as it warms. do yourself a favor with this one- take your time and soak it all in...Cheers!

2.11/5  rDev -48.7%

i have herd alot about this beer

i read the bottle it claims to be the "holy grail for hop heads" all i tasted in this beer was SWEET and BOOZE a little hop after taste but i was truly unimpressed with this beer i really had to struggle to finish it and thats hard for me to do

4.52/5  rDev +10%

Pours a crystal clear golden with a white head that fades to a persistant film. Smells like super sticky hops, very piny and sweet grapefruity. The taste has two aspects, sweetness and bitterness. It is dominated by the sweetness. I can't taste a single hint of alcohol which is surprising. Mouthfeel is great, very syrupy and smooth. Drinkability is huge.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from bottle into Tulip.

A. Beautiful orange color. 1 finger head. Not much lacing at all. Some particles floating, lots of bubbles rising from bottom of glass.

S. Hops, alcohol, malty sweetness, some citrus notes as it warms.

T. Massive amounts of the following: hops, alchohol, sweetness from malt, toffee notes from malt. Finishes very sweet.

M. Full bodied. Leaves a tongue coating sweetness. Some alcohol burn. Candy coating left on the lips.

D. For 21% I have to say that its pretty drinkable. It is a sipper for sure. Might be a little too boozey for it to be a regular drinker for me. You can not deny the fact that this is a unique and interesting beer.

4.41/5  rDev +7.3%

I've had this out of the bottle before and never bothered to review it because it would have been a rip-fest. I hated it. Just had a chance to try it on tap though, and it is a completely different experience. The appearance was a bit bland but after that it got good in a hurry. Great smelling brew, like cutting open a apricot and taking a whiff. The taste was very sweet, but not too overbearing and there were plenty of complexities that wafted in and out of your perception. At 21%, obviously you aren't drinking a lot of these, but I enjoyed my 8 oz pour very much. Really impressive. Reminds me of Behemoth from 3f's, not in taste, but in how much better it is on tap as compared to out of the bottle.

3.71/5  rDev -9.7%

My first 120. Was really excited to give this a shot. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into goblet. A beautiful cloudy honey-caramel appearance with a tiny ring of head around the edges. I simply don't have the vocabulary to describe the smell. Very sweet, totally smell the alcohol, but really, really distinct. Very faint hops smell, but then the sweet alcohol fumes take over. The taste is a complex mix of mostly sweet alcohol - brown sugar and molasses - but then there is a surprisingly subtle underlying hop bitterness that holds it together and really keeps things interesting. The hops come through more as the beer warms. Medium body with very little carbonation and a nice oiliness. I would like to see what happens when drinking three of these things in a couple of hours or so. I only had one and it definitely made its presence known. I look forward to sharing this with friends; would probably be incredible with a smoked cheese or good moldy gorgonzola.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a syrupy, murky, orange color with minimal head. Smells of pine, oak, citrus, caramel, very sweet smelling...tons of things going on. Taste follows extremely sweet. Not bitter at all, just very very very sweet. Its definitely a sipper. I drank half and had to mix the other half with other beers in a span of 4 hours or so.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Deep, deep orange with good clarity. Head is thin and goes away quick, leaving these sporadic bubbles that are oily and sticky, clinging like webbing to the side of the glass.

S - Intense, to say the least. Fruit, pine, wood, candied sugar...all of these notes waft up into the nose in a dance of powerful hoppy aromas.

T - Wow. Just wow. I would have never expected a beer like this to be this sweet and smooth. My cousin, with whom I shared the bottle, said it tasted like hops and watermelon. I'm inclined to agree with his observation, as the pine, fruit, floral notes, and downright sweetness of this extreme brew permeate one's palate. Almost no bitterness; finishes oily on the tongue.

M - Almost syrupy, but still well carbonated and smooth. The body is fuller than a RIS and really easy on the bitterness.

D - I'm always using hyperbolic warnings against really drinkable high ABV beers. Well, this time, I really mean it. This stuff is like hop candy, and will destroy you if you're not careful. I shared mine with a friend; you should too. At 21% ABV, you do not fuck with this beer.

overall - I'm probably going to go out next week and buy me a few more of these, and see just how well they age. This is one of the champions of the strong beer realm, and you'd do well to respect its power.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Had on tap at the Shep in Jersey!

Wow. I really have been tryin' to get my hands on this for a while now. I just got back home and went to my local beer bar ... walked in on an Dogfish Head promotion night where this, the 60, the 90, and a couple others were on tap. Ended up getting two goblets of the 120 to start of the night.
There's a little bit of apple on the nose but it mostly just comes through as sweetness- the alcohol is certainly there. I expected a lot from this beer and it didn't necessarily disappoint at all.
The 90 minute is a really complex beer and at times, this rivals it in that regard, but not completely... The hoppiness is there from the start and you know it's a dogfish head brew, that's for sure. There's a lot of sweetness there too with a huge lingering alcohol taste.

As much as this is a sipper, the mouthfeel isn't as big as you'd think. It feels great and goes down just the same. This is a beer to make sweeeet love to (it'll treat you well in return, I swear to god)

Wow! Been waitin' a couple of years to try this at least once.
I bought a bottle of this for 8.99 at total wine and more. I poured it into a goblet to really smell this. It smells so sweet but naughty. naughty meaning it smelled strong in alcohol and you knew this was not chuggable. haha!!

Its color was a dark mustard yellow and really no head to speak of. Smell was sweet. Taste was sweet and very alcoholic. Not hoppy like the other ones dogfish has. Actually this beer has a sweet candy taste to it. A tiny bit of sour taste too. This beer you cannot take a swig of and just swallow, it won't let you. Makes your mouth feel like your sucking on a sweet candy. Let me tell you this, the beer after you drink it, you will be feeling mighty warm from the 21% ABV! I shrugged it off at first then pow it hit me.. this is strong stuff!!

As the beer warmed a bit it still enticed you to drink it up even though it was as strong tasting as it was sweet. Kinda neat.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Medium honey colored with a light to no head. Huge lemon oil honey vanilla nose; nice thick mouth feel with gigantic honey/lemon/ripe apricot, candied/seared lemon flavors that are sweet, malty and very impressive, complex and appealing. A huge beer that gives the unexpected and may well be great with almost any dessert. Extreme nose, taste, flavor and complexities but clearly a beer of quality and one well made. A wonderful experience and perhaps a "one of a kind" beer.

Highly recommended and clearly worth the experience.

Re-tasted: 18% abv. This is 1 of 21 DFH beers tasted 6/13/09 in Los Angeles. Simply put, this is liquid lemon mirangue pie! This beer is huge and extreme in every respect. You either love it or hate. Huge lemon/lemon mousse nose. Medium/light carbonation. Big, full rich mouthfeel of creamy lemon and malt with orange and spice characteristics. Big sweet rich lemon and malt flavors and a thick almost lemon syrup finish. A beer for extreme flavors in foods, amost any dessert or just to sip. A treat! Drink or age.

Served out of a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: orangish-amber color, minimal head

S: some hoppiness, also a hint of ripe apples, then the alcohol hits, which pretty much lingers in the nose.

T: although you do get the taste of hops, it is quickly overpowered by the alcohol strength. resembles the 90 minute hoppiness in a way w/o the crazy ABV%.

MF: alcohol. similar to drinking a liquor, which continues from your mouth down to your stomach.

Drinkability: more like sipibility. i enjoyed it, but this is something i would break out for special occastions, and since i live in a bible-belt state where sale of the 120 is forbidden, i'll have to be satisfied with trips back north to get my supply.

bottom line, another quality, bold, aggressive beer from DFH

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

What a beautiful beer served in a Brandy-style snifter. Reddish brown hue with soft white head that slowly reduced while I was drinking this lovely beer.

Complex aroma creeps up to my nose, outdoorsy, hoppy, fruity, and then a bit of brown sugar or burnt sugar or caramel. Delicious aroma.

Perfectly balanced hop bitterness and the a bit of sweetness not cloying but my friend described it as syrupy. The alcohol warms the back of your throat and you can feel it, but it is not a burning. I enjoyed it more as it warmed slightly.

Full-bodied ale mouthfeel, not watery, but not heavy in any way. I could drink a lot of these but I'd fall off my stool after two.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery