120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
2.42/5  rDev -40.8%

Single bottle 12 oz – 2004. From bottle shop in Boston. Served cold, at about 58 degrees.

Pours a light golden with hints of amber. Looks like a fairly average beer in it’s body – not like most other DIPA’s I’ve made or tasted. Decent lacing, small head.

Good strong smell of hops in the nose, but overpowering all else is the waft of alcohol. Wow! Yes, it is 20%, and yes, you can sense it coming. Very unlike the WWS, which I thought hid the abv well in both the nose and the taste.

Ok, the taste – if this were meant to be a barleywine or a brandy, I’d give it higher marks. I felt like I was drinking grain alcohol mixed with beer. Syrup texture belies the look of the beer, and the sweet residual taste brings much more alcohol (yes, MORE) but not much of a hops finish. Disappointing in that regard. As it warmed, more flavors became apparent - took me 2.5 hours to finish this 12 oz beer - and there was a nuance or two that came forward but nothing that made me think it was better 2.5 hours later.

I do not think I would purchase another bottle at this price point. I do especially like the 90 min IPA, but find the 60 and the 120 lacking in different respects. For me DFH is very hit and miss for my palate.

lostbearbrew, Jul 11, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Vintage 2004

This is the type of beer that defines extreme! It pours copperish with little head and almost no carbonation. Thick and sticky, sweet mouthfeel, makes you sip it from start to finish.

The taste is not hoppy like one would imagine, but more of a malty sweet syrup. The alcohol warms, but does not overpower even with a 20% abv. There are tones of brandy. A great brew that is a must try!

phishgator, Jul 05, 2005
2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

Purchased single bottle of 2004 batch from Martignetti's (about $10). Waited many months to crack this baby open.

Appearance = Good looking semi transparent light golden amber. Not as thick as I would have imagined. Minimal head but respectable lacing.

Smell = Hops hops hops but loaded with alchol also. A bit overwhelming and smells like the taste won't hide the alcohol in the least.

Taste = It's a little too much for me. The alcohol is VERY intense all the way thorugh. There's a peculiar, disturbing salty taste that hits you upfront and lasts for a bit. This is definitely a slow sipping beer. It could use more flavor. I wish there was more of a cirtus flavor as with the 90 minute. Aftertaste doesn't give you much, just a lot more alcohol. Very syrupy tasting, nearly like a strong liquor.

Overall = After loving the 60 and 90 minute IPAs, I'm very disappointed with the 120 minute, especially give its price. It just doesn't really do it for me in the taste department.

LPorter33, Jul 04, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -1%

My first crack at this bad boy its been a long time comin,pours a clear golden with some deep orange tint with a thin white head.Citrus infused vodka is the aroma I get mainly with this puppy with a light nuttiness barely peeking thru but this beer shows its alcohol and hops in the nose for sure.This bottle was was bottled this year so its relatively young and very powerful,pretty syrupy tongue-coating mouthfeel.Very interesting complexities going on pretty darn sweet for an IPA very alcoholic the hops are asexpected intense but everything about this ale is intense.now at $8.95 for a 12 ounce thats pretty high but this is quite the experience,one other thing I notice as this warms a little not only does the alcohol show thru more but a tropical fruit flavor lingers as well pineapple mainly man this complex.

oberon, Jul 03, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

12 oz bottle obtained from Sulldaddy (thanks!) and shared with MABZ in June 2005. Poured a one-finger light cream head that left decent lacing on the inside of the glass. The beer was clear and light orange in color. Smells almost like a crystal sugar with and orange character. Some apricots. Flavors start with hop-tangerine, oranges, a *really* sweet malty, some cinamon and then APRICOT. There is a tiny moment of piney and pineapple to the hops. Hop bitter and co-ho comes along only during the swallow, prior to the swallow, the beer is all about the sweet and fruit. There is a gentle alcohol sting, that in no way presents as 20%. The aftertaste just hangs around forever. There's just a ting of carbonation forming on my tastebuds that combines with the alcohol on the inside of my lips. This combination counters some of the sweet and fruit. I think this beer need more hops and some caramel. To me, it's just too sweet and I felt like I wasn't able to catch everything that was going on. Thick mouthfeel and mildly caronbated. The beer just sticks to the tongue. It isn't quite syrupy, it's just really pleasant.

mentor, Jun 25, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance is a bit average. Clear golden, slightly amber. Nice fluffy head.

Smells quite potent. Like cidery, tangerine. Hardly any hint of hops. Very fruity.

The taste was a bit disappointing. I love the 60 minute hop profile for what it is, but it is completely lost in residual sugars in this monstrosity of a beverage.

Mouthfeel is syrupy. Alcohol is huge, but completely hidden under the sugar. Overbearing to say the least.

Not too highly drinkable, but I'm glad I finally got a chance to taste it, thanks to mentor.

neonbrown82, Jun 23, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

This happens to be the best IPA around. With its scarcity, it makes people only dream of tasting the wonderful hops that this brew contains. The nice aroma as you pour it into a frosted mug, then to sip it is like the nector of the gods. I loved this IPA.

specsbeer06, Jun 19, 2005
2.35/5  rDev -42.5%

This is certainly the strongest beer I've had so far. And, as chance would have it, not my most favorite of beers.

It pours a pretty light orangeish color with some white frothy head, very appealing looking. But looks can be deceiving. It smelled... slightly fruity, but mostly more of a vinegar smell- not the most appetizing combination.

The taste... rubbing alcohol comes to mind. Some fruityness prevails but mostly it's just not a wonderful tasting thing. Mouthfeel is okay, nothing special. Drinkabilty... well, I had half a bottle, and that was half a bottle too much. Sure, this will send you from sober to drunken haze pretty quickly, but personally, I'd rather enjoy what I'm drinking if intoxication is my goal.

It's worth trying, if only to say you've sampled all ends of the beer chain, but I can't see myself trying this again any time soon.

scooter231, Jun 17, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -27.1%

From a 12 ounce bottle into a goblet, bottled in 2004.
This one is a bit too much.
Whiskey comes to mind.
The flavor grows on you after awhile but it's too intense at first.
Not quite as hopped up in flavor as I was expecting... probably because of the alcohol content.
Quite a bit of fruityness to be found.
Certainly looks like an IPA in color and clarity.
I rather enjoy the smell of it... though, again, too much alcohol.
However... considering that it has the alcohol content of a liqueur, it's pretty well balanced.
Double IPA? Maybe more like a pentuple IPA.
Worth a venture... be careful if drinking a bottle by yourself.

ommegangpbr, Jun 15, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -27.1%

Undated 12oz poured into a tulip. The cap was bright, almost flourescent yellow with a dogfish inside a black triangle.

Light copper with a small white head that sticks to the glass, but lasts only a few minutes.

Smells like fruit syrup. Sweet with some alcohol underneath. There's some citric hops in there too.

Tastes like alcoholic fruit syrup. This is one decievingly thick ass beer. I would expect something this oily to be black. Very sugary, oily, and warming as it goes down. There's some hop juiciness to distract you from the sweet thickness.

There's no way in hell this could be a session beer. Would be better enjoyed as an after dinner cordial.

ypsifly, Jun 11, 2005
3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

Presentation: 12 fluid ounce bottle with a simple brass colored crown cap. Parchment quality label has the words ‘Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA The Imperial India Pale Ale’ underneath the picture of a hop cone. Bottom of the label has the words ‘AGES WELL Brewed in 03 04 05’, nicked at 04. Cost me $7.99 about a year ago, it has been in my beer cupboard since and my fridge for the last week.

Appearance: Decided to use a tall curve sided flute for this on, considering the fact that this was going to be a sipper. In fact, I used my “borrowed” LopLop Glass from the Brussels Bar of the same name. Has a graded color profile, light gold at the base thickens to an orange-gold at the surface. Dissolved carbonation quickly forms a reasonable looking white collar head, maybe a ¼” thick. The head slowly dissolves, but it never disappears, the

Nose: Dark dried orange peels, alcohol, sweet malts, laced citric vodka and heavy sweetish malts, but not much in the way of classic hops strangely.

Taste: Sweet start that builds into a warming middle laced with hop oils and gelatinous fruits such as pineapples, oranges, and a highly distilled white wine essence. Syrupy feel that detracts from the experience for me. Has a solvent like nasal singe at times.

Mouthfeel: Warming tropical fruit dimension in mouth, screeching hop-heat in the swallow, the 20% alcohol is still here. Thick fruity feel but it is not that appealing to me, big feel but sickly.

Drinkability: It is a sipper and whilst I love the hops, the oily nature and the burn and that annoying nasal singe means that even the little 12 ounce bottle takes a while to finish.

Overall: Maybe this is one of those brews that really needs a few years hidden away, but even after a year it still feels raw to me – and thinking about it, I don’t really see how it will improve to be honest.

Sure, it’s a unique brew, and yeah props to DFH for creating a 20% Imperial IPA, or an American D-IPA, or whatever you want to call it, but I prefer the big-ass IPA’s from Alesmith, Bear Republic, Great Divide, Stone, Rogue & Russian River and I still think the [750ml] DFH 90-Minute IPA kicks ass and is the best of the Doggie styles

The beer world's version of all those funky Concept Cars that never make it. Sometimes beers are just too big, I think that is the case here, and it doesn’t really deserve top marks just for that…..I think this is over-rated IMVHO.

“I’m an Imperialist you know”…..but this is a 'one-off' DFH 120-min Imperial IPA try for me, worth it and definitely and experience, but I won’t bother with it again.

TheLongBeachBum, Jun 09, 2005
3.23/5  rDev -21%

What I expect out of this beer: A very hoppy perhaps grapefruit tasting beer with a fairly high alcohol content. I'm expecting something like Bell's 2 Hearted Ale.

What I got: Fresh beer brewed in 2005 not aged for very long. Purhcased from Cloverleaf today. Smell is very hoppy, head is creamy not very fizzy and one finger high. Piney in aroma. Certainly costs a lot more than a Bell's 2 Hearted at $7.99 for a 12 fl. oz. bottle. Expensive.

Taste: Hops! A bit of a sweet flavor. Kind of rings on the palate. Surprisingly not much bitterness. No grapefruit hops. I'm not sure what type of hops is used. Not a green hoppy taste. Some alcohol burning sensation but not much. A bit more sweet and malty tasting than expected.

Not very drinkable in large quantities. I enjoy other IPA's more and not worth the extra money.

By the way, I had no idea this one was at 20% ABV. It tasted like it had far less alcohol. More like a 8-9% ABV. I think this is a complement.

mjohn27603, May 16, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

This was my first "big ale." When I purchased the single bottle I had no clue the strength of it. I was extremely surprised by the high alcohol content but found it pleasant. The orange and corriander taste was very arromatic and to my liking. IPA are one of my favorite styles and this one seems to be a real granddaddy.

custardcb, May 10, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a glowing orange color, very clear. Small bubbly white head. Smells sweet and of alcohol. Some minute hop presence in the nose. Taste is very sweet upfront. An alcohol presence makes a very nice appearance. There is some bitterness and hop flavor to balance out the sweetness, but not nearly as much as the sample I had on tap. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, as expected with a beer this big. Not very drinkable in a pounding sense, but for 21% alcohol its not bad. The tap version had even less alcohol presence. This sample is not very appealing. The taste is not hoppy enough. I guess I got spoiled by the tap version. Tap version is at the very least half a point higher.

bnuttz, May 09, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Sampled from a 12 oz. bottle:

Three-finger creamy/foamy head sits atop a slightly opaque golden colored beer. Rings of lacing throughout sampling. Smell was strong, hoppy and earthy, particularly reminiscent of grass, or peat. Taste was spicy, vinous like a barley wine and not as hoppy or bitter as I expected. Very smooth mouthfeel. A good beer, but possibly too overwhelming in terms of flavor and mouthfeel to use as a staple beer.

tomthumbsblues, Apr 17, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

2003 edition

Small off white head, that dissipates quickly. Pours a deep copper with slight chill haze, poured a little to cold and let it warm. Left a small lace island floating on the surface.

Aroma seemed to have a grainy, grassy hop bouquet, this could be due to age. Smelled of sweet malts like that in unfermented wort, still lots of sugar left here. Alcohol will hit you in the nose!

Flavor consits of big bold sweet malts with lots of caramel. Nice piney hop bit still there, although I am sure it was huge when fresh. Smooth warming alcohol in the finish, just sip this one!

Mild carbonation but appropriate with a nice thick mouthfeel. This is surely one of my favorite cellared brews. I love the big IIPA's and barleywines after some age on them!

Wolfsdenbrew, Apr 06, 2005

2004 edition with the green cap in a 12oz bottle. Pours out orange with surprisingly good clarity and a slight white foamy head. Some rings of lace were left around the glass as it was consumed. Wow this has a strong nose, huge hop notes with a big alcohol as well. Almost smells like a hop juice liquor. The alcohol though quite noticeable really takes a back seat to the massive hops. The sweetness in the taste was a bit surprising. Plenty of hops going on but it seems it’s so hopped it’s a hop induced sweetness. Not quite cloying and the alcohol really plays a part in balancing that out. Tasty stuff, that would be better with a touch less sweetness in the flavor, but at this strength that might not be possible. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with a coating sweetness. Towards the end of the bottle the sweetness really started to get to me which hurt the drinkability a touch. Overall a masterful job on such a monster of a brew, that while it does have some flaws manages to be great. I’ll be interested to see what some time does to the 750s I have.

meathookjones, Mar 31, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -23%

Bottle: Poured a light hazy amber color ale with a huge bubbly head with better then average retention and better then expected considering the high level content of alcohol. Aroma is well obviously very hoppy with some sweetness. Taste is way sweeter then expected with some bitterness but not as much as expected. The sweetness is a bit too much for me and even a 341 ml bottle of this stuff seems too much for my liking. Not bad just not a good everyday beer and there is a few strong extreme beers I would drink before this one.

Phyl21ca, Mar 29, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

Got this one after having a DFH 90 min. from the tap. "Damn, is this stuff hop bitter", I said to myself as I downed the 90. I saw a 12 oz. bottle of the 120 in the back of the cooler and took it home. I waited about a week before trying it. I wanted a real unbiased opinion. I read about the bitterness units and the 120 blew away the 90. So the rating said. When I finally opened the 120 the first sip was alcohol, followed by sweet. Somewhere in there the hops kicked in but from what I remembered, I though the 90 was much more harsh. I took me 35 minutes to down the one bottle. You have to sip this like cognac. While I did like the smell, taste and mouthfeel, drinkability suffers. I couldn't do more than one bottle. First, the 20 abv will have you ready for a root canal with out novacaine. (I was buzzed for more than an hour from one bottle.) Second, it's way to sweet/hoppy. And third, I don't know if it's the alcohol or the hops or the combination of everything but, I had some wicked heartburn after this one.
This is a good one for those special occasions when you need to forget the world for a while. Like when your house burns down or something. Two 120's and you'll forget everything. I'm glad I tried this one but I can't see me coming back for more.

cro250klr, Mar 29, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance - Pale orangish-amber color. This looka like any other pale ale or IPA out there. Off-white head is okay, retention is okay. Good lace.

Smell - Strong hoppy aroma, mostly floral. There is also a strong sweet smell. Very attractive. The smell of alcohol is in there as well.

Taste - Well, it is very bitter, but I was expecting something that was going to toss me on my behind. Much to my surprise, this beer is also quite sweet. Alcoholic warmth is very strong, but well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Great, very thick body. Sticky. This is truly a sippin' beer. The beer finishes with a alcoholic burn.

Drinkability - Contrary to some other reviews, I do not find this to be too alcoholic. Everything is well balanced. The severve bitternes is a little rough on the stomach. However, at $10 a bottle, I will not be drinking it too often, despite its wonderful characteristics.

Comments - Hopheads rejoice! At first, I was not really impressed with this stuff, but it grows on you. The bitterness will not kill you, but it should impress you. Truly a skillfully made beer!

mgdeth, Mar 14, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Savored a 2005 120MIN IPA tonight. Beer poured with a minimal head and displayed a golden copper color in the glass. Aroma relects of a rich hop bouquet and discreet carmel undertones. First taste is an explosion of hop intensity. The balance of the high alcohol content, malt, and hop intensity creates what I would call a suprising sweetness. Subsequent tastes reveal the depths of the malt and hop mingling. The warming effect of the alcohol is evident, but not as intense as in the high-alcohol barleywine and stout offering by Dogfish Head. This beer is a tribute to the power of the hop and is to be treasured.

zig77, Mar 13, 2005
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

The only thing really overwhelming about this beer is the amount of alcohol. It can be pretty safely described as DF 90 Minute IPA with twice the alcohol, but no more taste. That's not necessarily bad, but the 10% ABV of the 90 is more than enough for me. This would make a good sipper to substitute for a whisky or scotch.

jvajda, Mar 03, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Tasted on a warming spring day while high gravity homebrewing.

With an grassy floral hop and sweet malt-fusel alcoholic aroma 120 hits you like a spring SW wind. This American double IPA's 20% ABV will bath you and melt the windows of your mind.

Smooth as a warming spring day. Thick as molten glass. Sweet as a chorus of spring birds. Tastes as well as it drinks.

Expect that aged it becomes more poetic.

Follow with a 90 and and your crucified for the remains of the day!

To the Thawing Wind by Rob Frost

COME with rain, O loud Southwester!
Bring the singer, bring the nester;
Give the buried flower a dream;
Make the settled snow-bank steam;
Find the brown beneath the white;
But whate’er you do to-night,
Bathe my window, make it flow,
Melt it as the ices go;
Melt the glass and leave the sticks
Like a hermit’s crucifix;

karst, Feb 25, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

OH my GAWD is this potent shit!!!

I finally got to have my DFH IPA tasting... 60, 90, and 120 minute side by side. 12 oz. bottles. THAT was an experience... and gave me one HELL of a buzz.

This particular one had almost no head, but did leave lacing on the glass, as the other two did. Visually, all three were pretty close. They were all clear, yellow, and a bit fizzy.

This one's aroma was of intense aromatic hops, overlying a deep malt fruitiness. Like the others, but twice as much. Also, there was an alcohol presence that the others did not have.

The taste... INTENSE bittering hops, smoothing out to a mild bitter pine taste with an alcohol aftertaste. Didn't taste like a 20%, but maybe a 15%. It was definitely there. Again, quite a bit like the others, but doubled.

Mouthfeel was pretty thick... VERY chewy.

And drinkability? The one bottle was enough for me, thanks. Wouldn't want to do more than that.

It was a hell of an experience, one that I think I was glad to have, if I remember it right through the haze. One word of advice... if you're going to try this, don't do it in under an hour. Unless you plan on going to sleep early.

connecticutpoet, Feb 13, 2005
1.13/5  rDev -72.4%

12 oz bottle pours a hazy orange copper with a small off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass, funny pine aroma like a mix of Pine-Sol cleaner and Off insect repellent. Super sweet orange, maple syrup and alcohol flavors. Full bodied with a thick sticky syrupy mouthfeel, finishes with a lingering sweetness. A 12 oz bottle is too much for me, after only a few sips I am done...way too sweet, hard to dump such an expensive beer but I have no choice.

maxpower, Feb 13, 2005