120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,004
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

My first 120 Minute IPA, as it says on the bottle a 'Holy Grail for Hopheads'. So, I am a little excited. This would be the most recent bottling, which would be... late summer 2006?

Poured into an oversized wine glass, poured with an absolutely huge fluffy off-white head. Body is a lovely dark amber. Nice sticky lacing, more developing at every sip as the beer falls back to level.

Smell is a hop explosion of pine, of citrus, of HOPS, accompanied by a touch of sweetness.

Taste is amazing, the mouth is full of hops, each sip brings the flavor out more as it warms from cellar temperature. The alcohol is barely even noticeable, an amazing feat for a beer that clocks in at 21%. There's even a decent malty sweetness that helps carry the hop flavors through, fruity even, flavors of peach or apricot, a little caramel. This is a very well balanced DIPA, quite a feat of brewing.

Mouthfeel is nicely bodied, a tad oily and oh so warming, both to the mouth and body.

This beer is incredibly drinkable. Being a standout, incredibly ramped up DIPA this is no session beer but definitely something I could sip all evening long. Now if only we could do something about that $10 price tag.

foureyedgeek, Dec 27, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow- mindblowing D-IPA. Poured a cloudy gold as a good IPA should, with little head and lacing effect. Slick piney hop aromatics controlled the nose- the sharp burning on the first sip was masked only by the fruity apricot- peachiness of the crazy malt profile. An uppercut of hops on the finish- smooth and biting at the same time- great brew but keep it to 1 or 2 bottles or you may not wake up.

kernalklink, Dec 25, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass, thanks to demcorhip for this one, I've been wanting to try it for a long time. Bottled 03/29/06.

Pours a hazey orange colour, very murky with lots of sediment. Medium carbonation from what I can tell. 1/4 inch head subsides to a lace that thinly coats the top and the glass. Nose is lovely and hoppy, citric and floral, and a funkiness I can't quite put my finger on. There's definitely a sweet toasted caramel backbone, and the Alcohol makes itself evident, but I guess it would be hard for it not to. The nose is great, but much more subtle and muted than I thought it would be.

Taste is whooo, really sweet. Wow. I was not expecting the huge sweet malt presence here, but that's what it's all about. Caramel, plum, honey, dark fruitiness, and yes, that monstrous warming alcohol all appear in great quantities. I really feel like the hops are so well balanced as to not be as detectable as in some hop monsters. Yes, there's a bitterness in the finish, and if you search really hard though all the sugariness, there's some mellow orange peel bitterness and a lovely floral character, but not nearly the bitterness I was hoping for. Mouthfeel is thick, creamy and a little syrupy, then the palate dries in the finish. Carbonation is a bit more than I'd like, but maybe it's not the carbon that's making my palate numb. Lord knows that I would not want more than one of these, and it's an all-night sipper to be sure.

Final verdict: This is an extreme beer, and as such, I can respect it for what it is. It's way to sweet for my palate, and even though I don't find the sweetness awkward or cloying, it's just too much sugar. Also, I wanted a much more brazen, out of control hop bomb, and this to me is more like a barleywine. All that said, wow, I'm buzzed, and I still have half a glass to go.

trevorwideman, Dec 21, 2006
4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

Apperance is a hazy orange with a medium head that dissapates into a ring around the glass when drinking. A good amount of lace is present when drinking.

Smell is of hops with citric and pine also present. The alcohol is not as powerfull as I would have thought.

Taste is unbelievable hops all around your mouth. A citric and pine taste is very present too. Everything is so well balenced....awesome for such an extreme beer to be so well balenced.

Mouthfeel is oily and for a 21 Abv it is not overpowering with alcohol.

Drinkability is exceptional and if it wasnt for the 21Abv I could drink this beer all night. I personaly like it better than the 90 min IPA for dogfish.

BeerMang, Dec 20, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -24.7%

Straight out of the bottle I thought I was in a flowering humulus field. Talk about hop city. It even says right on the label and of course the namesake is dedicated to its hopping. This beer was exceptionally hard to get as my distributor told me that they were only delivering this one case at a time to CO.

Poured into a wine glass a rich golden color with light cloudiness and tints of green and yellow towards the bottom of the glass. Very light head retention with only a film of head left after a few minutes; no lacing. Taste is bitter beyond most, yet retains a delicate flavor of malt and hop. I was expecting a pickled mouth from the 21%, however I hardly noticed the strength due mostly in part to the overwhelming bitter and scotch taste. I was able to finish the bottle with little trouble and found a comforting buzz in a small bottle with a ton of taste.

I am not personally a huge hophead and this beer proves it. If you are however, I would say dive in. I wouldn't drink this with a meal as the meal would be completely overshadowed by it.

Andbrew, Dec 19, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

This is the first time I’ve ever had citrus flavored moonshine. Immediately upon opening the bottle, I caught the overwhelming scent of alcohol. While pouring, citrus hops were present, but still muted by the alcohol. The flavor was a good mix of bitter citrus hops and malty sweetness, again, surrounded by alcohol. As I was drinkling this, my eyes actually started to water from the intnese wafting of the grain alcohol. Finish was good, but again moved to the back seat by, you guessed it..the alcohol.

This actually was not bad, especially considering it is 21% abv, but just much stronger than I normally care for in a beer. The next time I think about having a DFH 120, I’ll just move right to the Everclear instead.

kimcgolf, Dec 19, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

12 oz bottle split with a friend.

Pours a frothy half finger head that diminishes, but sticks around. Beer is a hazy, deep amber color that shifts to a light brown in the heart of the glass.

You can smell this one a mile away. Strong sweet, caramel aroma. Orange, floral/flower. almost sugary sweet smell. Sturdy alcohol is in the mix.

Very sweet malt taste is the first thing noticed. Caramel again. Slight sourness and alcohol break up the sweetness somewhat, but not enough. Grapefruit hoppiness is prevalent in the aftertaste. I'm tempted to give this a 3.0 on taste, but it's definitely not average.

I like the oily, thick texture of this beer. The carbonation breaks it up well, and I was genuinely surprised by the level of carbonation. With the ABV up around 20%, I was thinking carbonation would be more like a barleywine. My 6 oz was really hard to get down as it warmed. The alcohol and sweetness is a bit too much (and I like scotch clean). Maybe I should consider style with my drinkability rating, but it truly was hard to finish off. A super slow sipper. I couldn't imagine trying to drink 12 oz of this. Definitely worth a try if you spot it.

biking4beer, Dec 18, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

12oz bottle into wine glass.

Very cloudy amber hue with an off-white thin head that doesn't last long. Stringy lacing.

Extremely strong hops, resonating grapefruit with piney citrus scents. The hops mixed with the amount of alcohol almost burns your nostrils.

Thick and syrupy sweet malts balanced by the devastating hops. The flavor is almost like melon, but very bitter and acidic. The hops make your mouth almost pucker, and the alcohol brings an extremely dry finish. There is very little carbonation, so the feel is slick and oily.

Probably one of the most extreme beers you will find. Sip this one slowly and perhaps share the 12oz bottle with a friend. A 60 or 90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head will probably be more enjoyable, but you need to try this one just to say you did it.

BeerSox, Dec 17, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Executive Review:

Note: 2004 Vintage

Appearance: Very hazy amber pour into a chalice; I can barely see my finger on the other side. Thin head that reduces to a film. Lacing is actually not as persistent as I had anticipated.

Smell: Wow - this smells somewhat like one of those J.W. Lees numbers. Very malty, almost musty aroma. Caramel/butterscotch notes in there as well.

Taste: You know, it almost tastes like one of those Harvest Ales. This is nothing like the green, fresh 120 Minute IPA to which I'm accustomed. This is like an aged barleywine or strong ale. Quite malty - butterscotch again - with very little noticeable hop character but in the final second where the bitterness surfaces.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, sticky, sticky. I need to brush my teeth.

Drinkability: Riiight. One and done. GREAT evening sipper, however.

kpantz, Dec 15, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottled on 09/07/06.

Pours out a peach and orange hued honey color with a small head that settles to a thin layer of bubbles. A small, slow, single stream of bubbles comes from the center of the glass. When swirled, it leaves scattered spots of "lace." Smells of very strong and sharp hops; with aromas of pine piercing the most, as well as some citrus. Very grassy. Lots of alcohol is picked up, as well, and a general sweetness from the malt. First off in the taste is the hops: mostly citrus as opposed to all the grass and pine I got in the nose. The "greener" hop flavors come out as well, but the citrus is more pronounced. Not much bitterness at all, as this is ridiculously sweet. I get a little toastedness from the malts, but it's more just blaring sweetness. Alcohol comes through as well, but much less than I suspected. I get a slight twang in the finish, which I'm not sure about. There's a lingering vapor like presence of fruit loop-like hops in my mouth post-sip, which I like a lot. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, but, considering that, I am very surprised that the carbonation manages to slightly prick: stopping this from being a mess in the mouth. Drinkability isn't so hot, at first, but once I become more tipsy, it goes down a bit quicker.

Not a great DIPA, but this is really in a different category entirely. And for what it is, it's good, but not stellar.

goochpunch, Dec 13, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -10%

Smells like an orange and a pine tree. Some faint orange colored lacing that chases the beer deeper into the glass. Feels somewhat heavy in the mouth to me. Oily as well. Lots of yeast left in the bottle, as well in the bottom of the glass. Some critus tastes along with pine needles in addition to others that I can't describe. Each drink feels like I've just taken a sip of schnapps. This is a 21-22% ABV beer so that makes sense. Similar to drinking wine.

Honestly, I'd rather have a DFH 90 minute that isn't as high on the ABV.

aljordan, Dec 08, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

This beer is not as good as the 90 minute version. Dont get me wrong it is a nice beer but they went a little over the top even for a hop head like me. The aroma is wonderful flowers and pine very nice. The taste unfortunatly leave the nice bitter bite of its little brother into the taste of pine resin.
If you have never had it give it a try but if you don LOVE hops it is not for you

jnelson54, Dec 07, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Wow !
I had not talked with anyone or read any reviews prior to trying this beer.
I like Imperial IPA's and was wondering why this was about $8 ber bottle.

It comes across to me as more of a Barleywine than Imperial IPA.

Served at cellar temp (60 deg F)
Pours clear golden yellow with thick white head that slowly dissapates.
You can sense the viscosity during the pour.

Smell is alcohol, crisp hops and sweet malt.

The alcohol comes thru first. I did not know what the ABV was until I pulled up the beer to review . . 21% ! ! Wow, its clearly there.
The malt is SWEET and I get a vanilla character to the taste.

The mouthfeel is thick and viscous, you can sense a huge amount of grain boiled into a sweet syrup thickness.

Drinkability - Price and availability make this a difficult beer to consider a regular, but it sure is a treat. I have another to savor for some future day.

IF I consider this a Barleywine instead of an I2PA, I have to say that I like the Immort-Ale by DFH better (especially for desert).

HopHeadKen, Dec 06, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

A clear light orange copper blend. White head of inch and a half sunk slowly in glass. Large amount of medium sized carbonation bubbles can be seen rising to the top. Sheets of lace all the way down glass.

A strange blend of aromas. The first smell as a very fruity initial scent. A hops quality is citric. The initial smell ends with a noticable spike of alcohol. Light lemon aroma blends with malt sweetness nicely.

Super sweet malt taste finished with a burn that betrays the alcohol content to an otherwise sweet, fragrent beer. Nice hops bitter on the back of the tongue. A light fruit blend is present, and includes tangering and grapefruit.

A thicker then average body. Very nice carbonation helps the multiple flavors shift on the tongue.

A great offering int he style. Great beer to enjoy with a burger topped with pepper jack cheese. This one is not for the faint of heart. A monster alcohol taste would turn a lot of people away.

RedChrome, Dec 05, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

Yikes!

This beer is good - damn good. Why start off a review as such? Because as so many have mentioned, this beer is 21%. In fact, there is a good chance you, the reader, know this. You might wonder what such a big beer tastes like, so you have come here. Well, it tastes pretty much like Dogfish Head's other IPA offerings, and there in lies the problem.

The beer has a typical deep gold/amber appearance that good IPAs have and about a finger of head that quickly falls away.

It smells very fruity and floral. Inviting very definitely.

Taste - Very sweet. I actually like it quite a bit. The malt sweetness plays well off of the hops. None of the hop character is lost as it still maintains a bite. I think the apricot description earlier was very apropos.

It has a nice, tingly mouth feel. Very crisp, not heavy, but certainly not watery. It will certainly excite your taste buds.

This beer is WAY too drinkable to be as strong as it is. If you are familiar with Stone IPA or the Dogfish Head 90, expect this to be just as drinkable. You simply have to make an effort to pace yourself.

All in all it was worth the $8 I spent on it. It is a very neat beer, well executed, and I have enjoyed it. Actually, I'm glad it doesn't cost less. If I could afford to purchase several of these I would probably hate myself tomorrow.

jasonguit, Dec 03, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Upon opening this bottle the strong odor of alcohol was mask slightly by a fruity, pleasant aroma. I poured it without expecting a head, yet one appeared. I was surprised by its creamy and foggy color.

The robust flavor of hops is present from start to finish. This was an enjoyable beer that I would purchase again. It’s not too often a high concentrate of alcohol (20%) tastes this smooth. A super, nice beer to start the evening with .

DarkBeerGuy, Nov 20, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Extremely hazy with a light fluffy head that receded quickly into the glass. There is just a light residue settling to the bottom as I examine the beer. I'm still shocked that there is any head on the beer at all with the amount of alcohol present. The nose is a citrus bomb. Loads of grapefruit, pine, and herbal hop pour from the beer. Mild mandarin orange sweetness on the finish. Sharp grapefruit and mandarin orange sweetness up front, mild caramel notes are dominated by the hop. The finish has mild alcohol heat. It's there, but I can't believe there isn't more. The mouth feel is mildly sticky, still full. Decent drinkability. This is a big, hoppy beer. Not the best drinkability. It's more of an event.

carln26, Nov 19, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Appearance: deep , hazy orange / auburn , with a half inch of foam that dissipates quickly to a ring. A fair amount of lacing left on the chalice.

Smell: A multitude of hop aromas assault the senses once you take this wonderful brew to the nose. Citric , piney , oily , green , and a presence of alcohol.

Taste: The hops ride all over your tongue , filling the mouth with an awsome spectacle of what the humulus lupulus is capable of. Mouthfilling , oily , resinous flavors of pine , citrus , slightly floral , earthy(green) , and a bit spicy combined with the warming alcohol. Hop Heaven! As strong as the flavors are , none of them effect the taste in a negitive way.

Mouthfeel: oily , chewy , viscous

Drinkability: For it ABV this beer is remarkably drinkable. The hop flavors are massive and intense , but they do not overwhelm. Any hophead must pay this awsome brew homage. Big thanks to Dogfish Head for crafting such a unique and exellent beer.

Byeast, Nov 17, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally found this, at whole foods of all places, I must give props to kim for getting hold of some. 12 oz was about 9 dollars total with tax, not bad, I heard it was 12 in Colorado. Poured aggressively in a tulip glass, the head was immense, thick and bubbly. Lovely white sticky lacing is every where. The color is a dense musty orange, amber, with darker tones centering about the lower middle. The sent is great, to the best of imperial IPA, lots of hop character balanced well with sweet malt notes. Fruit and sugar all over the place. There is a small hint of Alcohol; it is possible that this sent only occurs to me because apparently this beer’s ABV is 21. I definitely do not smell 21 Abv in this, which makes this a deliciously dangerous beer. Honestly I think they’ve done an excellent job concealing it. I must say that of all the strong beers I’ve had this one is the beer you should be most careful of. At about 9 dollars a 12 oz I doubt I’d buy it all the time, but since it’s around so little I’ll buy every one I can just to show off to friends. Also I’m cellaring this beers brother for one year from now. This beer is not too different from any great double IPA at 9 abv, but this is a 21 and delicious, so be careful.

mmcave, Nov 17, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

This stuff, for me, can duke it out with Samichlaus Bier to see who is my favorite.

This is certainly one of the more expensive little buys out there; the pour shows a more golden-amber glow than expected. First nose impression is "this stuff is not nearly as harsh as I thought all this octane would deliver". Second nose impression is - "if I didn;t read up on this, I'd not have known the octane - this stuff's aroma is more tart".

The taste is Samichlaus smooth, moreso if that is possible. The finish is a nice hoppy one. Mouthfeel is Olympic medal winning quality.

All in all, this 192 dollar a case drink is All That. God help me, I'm going looking for the Raison D'Extra and World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head - they deliver quality goods.

jimbomill, Nov 15, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

Paid $8.25 for a fresh 12 oz. bottle at my favorite local beer retailer. Split 3 ways with 2 good friends. Hands down, the best beer I've ever had the priviledge of tasting.

A: Looked exactly how a strong, extremely hopped up IPA should look. Rich, golden, full of character.

S: The smell was incredible. If you love the smell of fresh hops you will love smelling this beer. Smells a lot like kind nuggets of a plant in the same family.

T: The taste is pure heaven. It's sweet & beyond hoppy. The quality and attention to detail in the brewing process really comes through with each and every sip.

M: This beer left my mouth wanting more every time I swallowed. If only it weren't so expensive, I could indulge myself in it's excellence more often.

D: A sipper. I could drink it faster if I weren't so overly concerned with making sure that I thoroughly enjoy every sip. Plus, if I drank it too fast I might not be able to get back off the couch. After drinking just 4 ounces of this beer I felt great.

If you love hops and IPAs then I highly recommend trying this beer. I know I will be trying it again pretty soon.

gun1now, Nov 14, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
12 oz bottle
Bottled 10/06, shnockered 11/06
Medium pour in a large tulip glass.

Poured a slightly hazy copper with a large off-white creamy mostly lasting head with good lacing.

Smelt of strongly of candied pineapples, cookies, pecan pie, moderate pine.

Taste was upfront harshly sweet fruitcake, pineapple, maple syrup, brandy, followed by a strong sweet dough and gelatin with light herbs on a infinitely cloying finish. Palate was full bodied, viscous, softly carbonated, almost flat, and mouth-coating.

Overall, it was really good as a dessert beer. Lots of fun tastes and smells to discover. Sickeningly cloying and disappoint hop bitterness. The malt sweetness dominates over the taste of the hops. Alcohol , albeit present, is well covered by the sugar though.

Huge props to JesseDaniels for sharing this and not liking, thus my drinking the majority of it and getting a good alcohol rip.

xav33, Nov 12, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Served: Shared a bottle with a friend. Used small cocktail glasses due to lack of proper glassware.

Appearance: Poured slowly and produced a light head that disappeared after a while due to my slow and paced sipping. The color was bright, almost glowing and on the cloudy side.

Smell: The hop smell grabs you and pulls your nose in to it. There is a sweet candy undertone, but the hops really is the star here.

Taste: The sweet hoppy character is followed by a reminder that this is a high alcohol beer.

Mouthfeel: The thickness of this beer, not really visable to the eye, stays with you after you sip and swallow. The candy flavor gave way to a light floral feel.

Drinkability: This is a great beer, but one for special moments. The cost ($8.00 for 12 oz) may scare folks, but I have seen people pay more money for less of an experience. Again, this is a hop explosion, so if you are hop inclined, this is your type of beer

mobud, Nov 06, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

The 120 smashes the balance. The 60 comes in a 6 pack, the 90 in a 4 pack, this comes solo - all for about the same price. This beer polarizes the beer faithful: some think it went too far, others love it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's an experiment - I've heard it described as a "pixie stick hop bomb" - but I think it does what it does well. It's a thick, viscous syrup - think afterdinner drink (and at roughly 20% ABV, it's proofed like one). The aroma is afterdinner drinkish too - sweet almost plum brandy. It's sweet, it's hops-in-your-face, it's overboard - all that it's supposed to be, but also quite tasty. The version I had was from 2004, so the hops have likely mellowed out a bit. I'd love to try it fresh.

sloejams, Nov 03, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

From a 12oz bottle. Almost a murky orange color, with a 2cm frothy white head. The aroma was delightful, like a boquet of flowers with a sweet pale malt backbone, and a slight resinous tinge. I was slammed by the first sip, belly warming alcohol lets you know this is not a beer to mess around with. But then the flavors start coming through in waves, up front were strong malty flavors, raisins, plum, dates, and molassas. Then the balancing hop profile started comming through, strong floral and citrus flavors, orange, apricot, tangerine, peach, and more. In my notes I wrote "its boozy like bourbon or cogniac. It was like an IPA liquour. Silky mouthfeel. Definitely a special occasion sipper, but delicious.

dfried, Oct 31, 2006