120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

This is one mind-altering brew. Had it on tap at the DFH alehouse in Falls Church, I was charged $10.50. Cloudy bronze appearance in the what I think was 12 oz sniffer glass with a reasonable head of foam. The flavor and mouthfeel are excellent. Great marriage of hops and alcohol, this beer will kick your ass if you take a big gulp of it.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

a - cloudy. brown. fleeting head. Don't know how old this bottle is.

s - it's a barleywine. Some hops happening, but mostly caramelized malt. YUM!

t - wow. American barleywine at its best. Ethanol, warmth, STRENGTH, but *balanced*. Not a ton of hop profile, but this beer is REDICULOUS.

m - fine

d - plastered. Killed my wife (tyhe beer did) after some wine and Champagne. made me silly. WHAT IS THIS!? Crazy beer..

notes - not the best way to review, but this shit kicked my ass after a decent session with wine and the inlaws. fun stuff. Great flavor, but the hops were subdued enough to say it should be classified as a barleywine. I mean c"mon, isnt it?

Big ups to JeffV for this trade, I feel like a tool for not hooking him up with any extras. Karma to you bro..

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

10.99 at New Beer Distributors in Manhattan.

Pours a murky rust color with bright orange edges. The head is pillowy and medium sized. It has incredible retention for a beer of this weight and it leaves an intricate lacework behind. The aroma is extremely potent, I could smell the mighty malt profile the instant I popped the cap. Sniffing directly from the glass reveals a heady mix of sweet, fruity malts, alcohol heat and a side of citrusy hops.

The taste very malty with a strong tropical fruit, pineapple, tangerine character. An immense bitterness lies underneath the glacial mass of malt. Some pine sap and citrus hop aroma manages to show through the assault occasionally. The booze is alway present, but surprisingly under control for a beer of this weight. The mouthfeel is close to syrupy and mouthcoating. The finish is fruity and bitter with a lingering booziness.

This beer is something to experience, an assault of concentrated beer flavors that needs to be sipped. I cant imagine the amount of malt and hops they use to make this. Try it.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

This "beer" is a hazy amber with an off-white frothy head that lasts and leaves excellent lacing. It has a heavy hop aroma of flowers, perfume, herbs and resin. It is heavy, thick and very sweet! Thick and oily, sweet and very bitter. The taste lingers. It's like hop liqueur.
(rated Apr 11, 2007)

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

1st Review | 05.16.08

The great 120 Minute.

Provocatively syrupy smelling, and a bit alcoholic too. Citric notes, almost like tangerine. A little zesty/spiciness. Quite a noseful; smells like it will be viscous. The syrup/alcohol smell almost takes on a rubber sensation - like latex.

Orange/amber hue, translucent, minimal head.

Oh wow. Not what I expected at all. It's insanely tart, and ripe . A sipper forwith alcohol heat. Goes down like motor oil laced with whiskey, sure. I do get some rich, dark whisky kind of malt and vanilla hints. A bit of hop bitterness comes into focus through the heat, and helps to tie down a tropical hop vibe. As it warms, I experience more malt and not so much hop. Dominant in the malt, though, is an over-the-top, sickly-sweet sweetness, reminiscent of butterscotch.

It's fun to see where a style of beer can evolve and meander to, given the freedom to be extreme. For my taste, though, this specimen is hard to drink. If you could brew the Elephant Man, this is pretty close to what I'd envision you getting.

I do get flourishes of that perfect malt/hop mix, but mostly I get alcohol and tartness. With all that hop, I sense no harsh hop flavors - something I'm unable to avoid in my IPA brewings.

3 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 2
___

2nd Review | 12.10.08

Nose is sugary malty, alcohol, and full of bright, floral hops. Strongest is the very sugary, rich, and malty aromas. Hints of vanilla. Smells good, almost very good.

Pours a dirty deep straw color, very hazy, almost fruit-juice looking, almost no head (completely understandable). Looks good.

Flavor hits hard and fast with strong citric juice, rich malty creaminess, and alcohol. First impression can be likened to a spiked orange cream party punch. Incredibly thick and smooth. Citric flavors round out with a nice tartness. Very sweet - like a sweet fruit rather than just raw sugar or excessive maltiness. Reminds me of a nectarine or tangerine, not quite orange or grapefruit. Mild bitterness. Tastes wonderful. Feels even better.

Last time I tired 120Min I was put off by the over-assertive alcohol. This time, I served it at frigid refrigerator temperature. I got a lot more flavor and less raw alcohol heat. Not the IPAest of beers; I'd like to see some more hop flavor to combat the beautiful malt. It doesn't speak Barleywine, but certainly American Strong Ale... Imperial IPA, I guess.

From my previous review: "if you could brew the Elephant Man, this is pretty close to what I'd envision you getting."... Man! What was up with my palate that day? Perhaps nothing; perhaps today I have an invisible cold that has immunized me to alcohol's nose-tingling effects; or perhaps I have become numbed, or perhaps this is just not the same batch... regardless, it is really, really, seriously good. It never once flashed up in intolerable heat today. I've had 12%ABV beers that stung worse than this bottle. If I had another I would definitely crack it open when this one's gone. Well done Sam!

This is a beautiful beer that I hope you will get to experience and enjoy. Approach it with an open mind, open palate, and perhaps a stuffy nose (if you're opposed to flavor of pure ethyl alcohol ;-).

3.85 | 4.25 | 4.6 | 4.75 | 4.4

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Had an oaked version of this on tap at Dogfish's Milton brewery. Nice orangey color and a suprisingly well maintained head. You can certainly smell the alcohol but it's not as overpowering as you'd expect from a 20% brew. There is a slight spiciness from the oak at the first taste. This did seem to abate after each sip, no doubt in due to the high abv. Very oily mouthfeel which I love in this beer. This was perilously easy to drink so it's a good thing this was only about a 6oz taste.

Ok, it's Repeal Day Observed, in our southern neighbours, and my Yankee ancestry is encouraging me to try something special from south of the 49th. Tonight that can only mean one thing - a slightly chilled bottle of this sweet elixir to share with my own sweetie. I procured it on a recent trip to impressively beer-rich Austin, Texas. I actually got to try this a few months ago, in the BeerBistro bar in downtown Toronto. A special order from the LCBO, I got past the $30/bottle cost (hey it was dinner, thank you Accounts Payable), and proceeded to kick off that Saturday night in amenable style.

Now, this 'beer' pours a dense cloudy apricot-brown, and looks like fresh-squeezed fruit juice. There is no appreciable head, just a minor reminder of effervescence, and no lacing to speak of. The smell is very strong, crisp, and hot, like fermenting grape must - it actually twinges my nose - and evokes raisins and molasses, and pine hops. The malt only seems omnipotent at first - there is an underlying citrus hoppiness that seems to struggle to make itself known. The flavour starts with grapefruit hops becoming more prevalent, holding the huge raisin malt body at bay only for a bit, until, buoyed by the alcohol, it washes over and envelops your palate. A number of warming spices also appear, difficult to discern amongst it all. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, and a tiny carbonated finish delivers a warming to my system that I had previously associated with port or sherry. Accordingly so, this is a slow sipper, lovely for a quaff with the pine scent of the newly-erected Christmas tree nearby.

My hat is off to those sensible folks 75 years ago who reinstated the law and the mindset that paved the way for a brewery like Dogfish Head to create such a sexy beast as this offering.

I finally found this one. Light brown pour with a thick, short white head. Huge hoppy aroma, with resin, wood, pine, and earthiness. Massive, syrupy hop flavor, with more caramel and malt than expected (or wanted). Big resiny character, with little to no grapefruit/citrus. As good as this was, it was anticlimactic. Maybe I just built up the expectations to be too high. Great, but there are better IIPA's out there.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an orangey color and a thick, cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of foamy head and good lacing.

S: Very hoppy smell, along with pine, malt and a strong sugary quality.

T: A huge, almost overwhelming flavor. Sweet malt, pine, hops and a sugary aspect. The alcohol content is bracing, but the beer is tasty.

M: A high carbonation rate and a thick, slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: This is a tasty beer, but not one I could drink all the time. Still, a well made beer.

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Reviewed on 4/26/08. Bottle. Poured an orange/amber with a surprising small white head and slight carbonation! Aroma of pine, acetone (aka nail polish remover), and slight grapefruit. Initial taste of super sweet malt, followed by slight bitter hops. A slow sipper for sure! The highest %abv brew that I've actually enjoyed somewhat! Still, it was a difficult beer to drink. An experience every beer geek should have, but I'm not sure I'd buy this one again. 6/4/7/3/15 (3.5/5)

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

WOW! pours a maple syrup color but not the consistency. Aroma is pure malt heaven with a touch of hops, and the alcohol. Taste is malt, malt, and malt (like syrup) OH! did I mention the alcohol...WOW!! Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, alcohol warms your mouth and your body. Drinkability is average because you will be just shit faced!!

2.17/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was alright as far as flavor, and the whole nine yards... except that it was an IPA. supposedly.
Maybe it's my unsophisticated palate but when someone brews an IPA and spends that much time hopping it. Usually they wouldn't go out of their way to add so much malt that it would basically mask it.
It pours nice, has a decent head and some lacing.
Smell is of malty sweetness and a bit of hops
Taste is almost pure malty sweetness and plenty of alcohol.
Mouthfeel.... I don't recall ordering a malted alcohol milkshake.
It was fine to drink once I cut my losses and said... well it's not what you were looking for. Just wasn't the IPA taste that I know and love.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a hazy amber color with thin white head. Aroma is dominated by hops of course but there is also a strong alcohol presence. This is an extremely hoppy beer that is to be sipped slowly. Although the flavor is dominated by bitter hoppiness, I feel that the 21% abv provides a strong alcohol taste and warmth that takes away from this flavor. I liked this beer very much but wished that the high abv was masked a bit more.

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%

What the hell was that?!? I don'r know what I was expecting but this was an interesting drink. I could taste the 21% from the first sip which is not a good thing since I was hoping the complexity of the beer could mask it a bit better. I would not call this beer an IPA so not sure how to rate it. It is very, very sweet and not at all bitter. I could not finish the whole bottle by myself but not from the strength of the beer bbut from the sweet, syrupy mouthfeel. I love the Dogfish and most of the brews I have had but this was a bit much for me.

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

WARNING!!! If you do not like hops do not attempt for this beer is not for the week of heart in hops!

Poured this lighter amber coloration of cloudy honey beer into a pint glass. It was definately interesting in the aroma as it has a good spicy hoppy beer smell. However, the taste far exceeds the aroma in its hoppy citrus, robust flavor. It has hints of spice even in the taste and is wonderful on the palate! It is a sweet but spiced hop beer that has a great aftertaste finish compared to other high gravity beers.

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%

From Notes:
This beer was an 04 drank in 08 so thats about 4years of aging.

Cloudy honey color with some white head. The nose is super sweet, interesting. The flavor is a malty sweetness with some light hops in the background. While good it's very sweet. It's a nice beer but very sweet.

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

love everything that Dogfish does but this is a bit of a side show, isn't it? Cloudy and orange like pumkin water. no head but who expected one? Smells like rubbing alcohol. I'm not looking forward to this but once I take a pull, I'm pleasantly surprised. Sweet, yes. Boozy, yes but pretty tasty. Drinkable? Not unless I want to sleep here with my forehead on the bar.

This is a case where the grading criteria is seriously distorting my ability to tell you how I feel about this beer. Is is supposed to be drinkable? Could it smell or taste anything but boozy at 20%? It's an amazing substitute for a cordial but ...

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

Bought this bottle in early 2007. Not sure how old it is but has a little bit of age on it.

A: Dark copper, burnt orange with a smallish white head.

S: Caramel overload. Huge nose of brown sugar and caramel. Really don't get much more than that.

T/M: There's the brown sugar and caramel again. Bitterness from the hops there to help balance out the sugary sweetness, but there's no hop lingering (which is a good thing in my book). For as over the top hoppy this is supposed to be, I'm a little surprised its not more dominant. Full bodied.

D: A sipper, big time.

Overall, very interesting beer. A little overboard on the sugary sweetness scale, which knocks it down a notch. But I'd enjoy one of these every once in awhile

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into my snifter

Poured a headless amber honey, with peach accents. Though lacking any big head, there are some suddy sides, with minimal lacing. The aroma from the 120 minute though, started billowing out of the bottle as I opened it. This is one of the strongest smellers I have ever witnessed. Aromatics range from potent, sweet alcohol, apple, raisin, and pine.

Man is the taste complex. The brew is extremely full bodied with a slight viscosity. Flavors run from sweet fruit notes like white grapes, to honey, to an extremely warming alcohol finish. So slight grapefruit hopiness emerges at the the finish. I really enjoy the flavor of this guy despite the big ABV.

I really loved this, however, after about 6 ounces I was satisfied, as she really is a doozey in terms of ABV and flavors.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Had to try this beer after a friend of mine ordered a case of it through his father's beer distributor.

Poured an orangish color with a fairly small head...smelled fruity...maybe raspberries? The taste was out of this world considering the 18-22% or so ABV. The mouthfeel was unlike anything I had ever experienced... upon taking a sip, you could feel the effervescence in your mouth and up into your sinuses. Sort of like a soda but very, very different.

Very expensive beer (12 bones/bottle) but definitely one you have to try! Just make sure you stop at 1!

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks Capones!

5oz. snifter from draft

A: hazy amber with a slight head - don't recall any lacing

S: crazy caramel bananas foster thing going on here. layers of sweet malts and esters, but not much in the way of hops

T: caramel, creme brulee, sugar, candy, just keeps going - this stuff is sweet - and the alc is obvious, but not overpowering.

M: thick and syrupy with a hint of carb.

D: amazing to taste - it's the port of the beer world. If you approach it like you would a port, it's very drinkable, but it's not to swill during the Giants game.

So the mystery question to all fellow brewers - how the heck do they get it down to 1.020 and maintain that sweetness?

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

Thanks to PatronWizard for this gem!!!

A: An orange and hazy appearance that seems to illumintate even further as I hold it closer to my lamp. Poured thin with a nice fuzzy one-finger head. Carbonation is visible as well.

S: I absolutely love the smell!! A strong grapfruit characteristic upfront followed by a dty-piney hop aroma. Incredibly unique and appealing.

T: The alcohol is quite noticeable as expected. Not overwhelming and hidden well, but about what I had anticipated for a 21% ABV. As for the flavor, I picked up a acidic and piney hop flavor with hints of citrus. A carbonated wine taste would be the best way to describe this unique flavor.

M: Clingy and creamy; sticks to the tongue like Velcro. Light to medium body with a decent amount of carbonation.

D: This is definitely a sipper, so I would have to say its a beer that better be enjoyed with food.

Overall: Unique, unique, and unique. I think I got my point across. I was actually a lot more impressed with this beer then I thought I would be, but to be honest, the taste is more unique than good. Not bad at all in the flavor category, but something I won't be dying to get again. Worth a try, but make sure you enjoy a bottle with another person...I made the mistake of drinking this one all to myself. Good job Dogfish Head...you pulled this one off quite well. Cheers!

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

Can't believe I have reviewed this beer yet. This was the beer that got me into craft beer. This stuff is pretty easy to find, but I remember a few years ago when this was THE FIND. anyways..

A- Pours golden to slightly amber with very little head.

S- Sweet sugar, apricots and subtle citrus hops.

T- This is not an upfront hoppy beer. Its actually very sweet. Very tasty, complex sweetness followed by very tasty, tolerable hops bitterness that stays subtle. Very well done.

M- Very thick, creamy almost syruppy.

D- This is one of the biggest beers, yet it really goes down so easily. This is my favorite beer to share with people who have never tried it. I say, trust me, you won't expect this stuff. The problem is I'm never gonna age this stuff if I keep popping them. So expensive!

3.7/5  rDev -10%

The color is a deep rich yellow, quarter inch of white head. Smells of citrus and citrus and citrus. Taste is over the top, so much citrus it's like having a glass of orange juice. I mean, Goddamn, I love an intense IIPA but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Halfway through the glass I was getting tired of the stuff. Carbonation is intense but in the ballpark, and the outrageous alcohol content is impressively well-hidden. But the fruit-juice flavor makes it hard to drink.

3.4/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

wow i had this on draft last night at Capones

pours a pretty copperish color, a good amount of head

i really like hops, i just had kinda a hard time tasting it over the alcohol

very good beer but unlike other imperial/ double ipa's i could def smell and taste the alcohol

if you can get it check it out, but the price and the crazy high abv really make it hard for me to drink this beer

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery