120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,141 | Reviews: 2,130
4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

I have long considered 120 to be a real treat and usually order it when it's on tap. Lately though, I've been dissappointed with its quality on tap. This has always been a nice, deep, copper/amber color with good clarity. Lately though, it has been served very cloudy, almost milky in color.

This problem doesn't seem to affect the taste or aroma, though, and I've always been impressed with Dogfish's ability to make this beer. True, it has tons of alcohol sweetness but that is balanced by almost unfathomable proportions of hop flavor and aroma. I'm constantly amazed that a beer this strong can still resemble beer.

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

Highly sought after beer. Being looking for this one for four years now! Thanks to a coworker for bringing this back up here in Montreal.

First constatation @ pouring: surprisingly liquid. Honestly, I was expecting something more liquorous, as of a port wine. Served @ 10-12 oC. Thin head forming and disepearing quickly, in less then 30sec.

Nose: Very strong nose of alcohol. Complex fruit aroma. Sweet malt burst out, literally. Floral aroma is strong. I should say impressive, certainly because of the tons of hops used is this brew. This results in mostly in floral aroma, forget anything dominating citrusy/piny nose as of regular IPAs. Mint is detectable. Caramel & toffee, sugar cane too are noted. Bitterness is surely present, but completely submerge by the high amount of residual sugar from the malt. This tempers downs a lot the pungent bitterness of the hops.

Lacing on the glass is not quite as a port wine, but very impressive for a beer. Alcohol in mouth is very impressive. You can easily compare it to a port wine. Carbonation is low, medium-low at most. In mouth, this beer is almost oily. I'm sure that if you would be able to strip down all the alcohol is this beer, the amount of hops oil in your glass would decant on top of your beer!

Overall: Impressive beer. Certainly not for the faint of heart. Worth trying, but forget having a few of this beer on the same evening. Very loading. Very challenging. Very DFH! Will age very well for MANY years.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased At: Steve's Liquor (Madison, WI)

Appearance: Pours an amber orange color with a surprisingly good amount of head. A steady stream of bubbles are floating up to the top of my glass from the center of the tulip. The head slowly faded away and there is now a thin layer of white bubbles and foam at the top of my glass.

Smell: Not the typical nose from an IIPA, but still pleasant. The alcohol makes its appearance, leading me towards the smell of a hard liquor like whiskey or brandy (I'm not much a hard liquor drinker, so I can't really pinpoint which one). Blending with the alcohol is the generous amount of hops they used to while boiling and dry hopping. Some citrus and earthy notes are unveiled, including raisins, apricot, grapefruit, orange and some pine and soil.

Taste: I expected the alcohol to be more visible on the palate than it actually is. I held out on buying this beer given the price because, quite frankly, I didn't expect this to be as good as it is. The alcohol is well hidden. I've drank IPA's with half the ABV than this one and they've revealed their alcohol notes much more.

This beer isn't as bitter as one might expect given the hop profile. It's a rather neutral beer, not being too sweet, but also not being very bitter. The palate is picking up sweetness from the caramel malts, alcohol in the form of brandy, and then finishing up with some earthy and citrus hops including the same flavors mentioned in the nose above.

Mouthfeel: Well this is just a bit odd, but I like it! If the alcohol were stripped out of this, I think you'd feel the normal coating of the mouth with hop oils. Now that the ABV is so high, the oils aren't as pronounced, but there is still a coating of the teeth, tongue and gums.

Drinkability: Too many people are knocking this down in drinkability because of the ABV. This is the style of beer they were after. I don't think it's fair to rate beer consistently based upon the status quo. While this beer is in the IIPA category, it's unlike many of it's sisters.

I don't want to drink a bomber of this in an evening, but this is a well put together beer and I'm glad I tried it. I can't say it will end up in my crate very often given the price tag, but I will mostly certainly pick this up again and keep it for a rainy (or quite special) day. I'm not a huge DFH fan, but hats off to Sam for this one.

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 12oz. bottle into a goblet:

A - amber brown color, thin head.

S - Smells strongly of alcohol and citrusy hops.

T - Alchohol dominates the taste. Sweet and thick as well. Hops are very evident.

M - Heavy bodied, lightly carbonated.

D - Not what I expected, cant say this is very drinkable. Very strong and harsh. I kind of developed a palette for it by the end. Different but not my normal cup of tea.

2.39/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

DFH is probably aware that you can't make a beer like this and have unanimous positive reviews.
After it poured a nice orangish copper color with minimal head (a warning of the intensely high abv), everything went downhill from there.
Instead of a combination of malt and hop characteristics, this thing is huge interweaving of confectionary sweetness and heavy alcohol fumes. Both cloying and burning, the syrupy texture was almost sickening in my opinion.
I only drank maybe 2 ounces of the 12 ounce bottle before offering it around to anyone who might like a try before ultimately getting rid of it. Huge waste of 10 bucks.
Try it if you must, there isn't anything else out there like it, but its such a stretch of any preconceived boundary that I could not enjoy it.

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance is a orangey red color. About a one finger head that leaves a nice lace.

Smell, well definitely and alcohol scent. also something i wanna say citrusy and floral.

taste, as you might expect, this beer is how do you say "harsh" yeah harsh that sounds about right.

mouthfeel very intense, stings the tastebuds. Not too heavy on the palate though.

drinkability I found is very low. Too much of an alcohol taste. Doesnt go down easy.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Single bottle served in a snifter glass at the Dogfish Ale Cafe in Gaithersburg, MD. Nice orange color - not much foam on the glass though.

Smell - strong in the hops, but there is definitely something sweet and floral in this drink.

Taste is not at all what I expected. First hops (bergamot) followed by something very sweet (almost sugary), then grapes, and a slight bitter finish. You can also taste the alcohol, but just barely under the sweet and the bitter.

Mouthfeel - no carbonation on the tongue that I noted, nothing special really, but I'll admit to being very uneducated on this point.

Drinkability - due to the high alcohol content and the unusual flavors I'd say that this is a beer to enjoy if you like cognacs. This beer reminded me more of a cognac, which is something you sit back and savor. I view it as a good experience and worth drinking, but not something that I would go out of my way for.

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

Aged about one year.

Cloudy golden blood orange color with a thin offwhite head which drops to a skim almost immediately.

Scent is solvent alcohol, oranges, citrus.

Taste is intensely sweet. Sticky sweet. Sugar on your teeth sweet. Very strong flavor sits on the palate and doesn't budge. Seems like an orange citrus licquor more than anything.

Mouth is sticky sweet and coating.

Drinkability is not high, of course, being as this is a 20+ percent beer.

Well, had to try it but don't think I'll buy it again.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Finally getting to try this! BIG Thanks to Turtle!

Poured to my small 0.3L glass. Pale color, like a shade of clover honey with some orange-ish hues coming through with the light. Very thin film of foam forms and very small bubbles actively rise creating a thin white ring.
Aroma: Deep layered hops consisting of pine, grapefruit, caramel and a sweet alcohol aroma that smells like flavored rum. A swirl of the glass intensifies the aromas and heightens everything.
Mouthfeel: Very faint carbonation delivers a sweet, sticky, hop solution that actually rolls down easily but leaves enough bitterness behind that elicits a slight pucker. As it warms the sweetness comes to the front with a boozy edge that gets a little hot. A froth on the palate keeps it about the same. Definitely worth trying and I am glad that the hops lean towards the citrus and pine profiles. I was expecting more of a hop burn but I was pleasantly surprised. This has been on my radar to try for years. Very worthy!

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

I was quite surprise having been unimpressed with my prior expience with the 120. A very brandied nose and palate. I expected the hops to be over powering but this beer had incredible balance. The beer was exceptional though I don't know that I could drink a whole bottle.

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Dogfish head 120 minute IPA. bottled 5/01/09 ABV: 20%

A: The liquid has a very clean crisp look to it. Along with the look, there is a beautiful orange haze that shines in the light. The lacing sticks right to the glass the moment that the beer is poured into the glass. Limited head due to the ABV.

S: Smells of citrus and grapefruit with the alcohol that just lingers in your nose. Very great scent to it, just makes me want another sip.

T: Very strong IPA. The taste is very hoppy(like a syrup based hops) and has the grapefruit hint. Very sweet and bitter at the same time.

M-D: This is a beer that is for heavy beer drinkers. Once the beer is in your mouth, you are experiencing Dogfish head's 20% alcohol content. Very strong at the start and very strong to the finish. Wonderful IPA!

2.73/5  rDev -33.6%

Heedless of Aristotle, this is an extreme beer at its most extreme. I'd long wanted to sample this brew, but its cloyingly sweet, leathery smell nearly changed my mind. The taste was better. Still too sweet, but not unpleasant. It tasted like molasses filtered through crushed flowers. It was not IPA-like. Not even beer-like. (It has a nice, amber color, but a scant head.) Though I haven't tasted Southern Comfort in decades, it reminded me of that. It's drinkable, and it masks its alcohol content quite well until the dwindling aftertaste. This beer lives in the twilight zone between the beer/wine abv's and the hard liquor abv's. Not many beverages go there, and none are as popular as their weaker and stronger cousins. I can't fault Dogfish for venturing into this realm. But, really, could this be anyone's favorite beer or even their drink of choice?

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottled on 2/6/09.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden orange hue that produced a great 2 finger off-white to light yellow head that is staying around for awhile; after a few minutes, its down to a 1 finger size. Some tiny bits of lacing here and there.

(S)- Massive mango, peach, pineapple, and grapefruit citrus aromas with an equally huge pine/wood component. This is some strong smelling stuff!; has a pretty serious alcohol whiff to it.

(T)- This is just massive! Very sweet; almost candied mango & peach fruits followed by a very dry grapefruit, pineapple, and bittering pine with a robust to equally massive boozy burn at the end. An ample malt backbone exists somewhere in there that is providing a light honey sweetness to the middle but is mostly overpowered by everything else in there.

(M)- Huge boozy burn with really sweet fruits and big bittering hops really makes your mouth go through a rollercoaster of layers and complexities. Sadly, the ridiculous level of alcohol is almost off-putting and destroying some really superb characters in the beer.

(D)- Just ridiculous, massive, and potent on every level imaginable. Great stuff, but is lost in the overly boozy mouthfeel. Give this 5 years and try it again, give it 10 years and try it again. I want to buy a bunch and drink one as each year goes by to see how it changes. Share with a friend or two cause this one bottle kicked me to the floor. 20%abv?!

3.78/5  rDev -8%

First off, thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for hooking me up with a bottle of this. Cheers bro!

A- Pours a beautiful amber/orange color with a thick fluffy foam head that leaves tons of lacing all the way down the sides.

S- Definitely lots of pine hop aroma and a major rush of caramel sweetness. A bit musty with a faint alcohol scent. Not nearly as much alcohol present in the nose as what I was expecting.

T- Wow, the alcohol has made a sudden reappearance! Huge wave of alcohol and sweet/tangy citrus flavors of orange, passion fruit, and pineapple. The finish is an overwhelming flood of caramel sweetness. The alcohol is quite apparent but I wouldn't call it 'hot', even though I would describe the alcohol level in many other lower ABV brews as such. This is easily one of the booziest AND balanced DIPAs that I have ever had. I can certainly see why some others seem to think that the 120 favors the barleywine style more so than a DIPA.

M- Thick and syrupy with a pretty decent amount of carbonation. The alcohol bite flashes strong and leaves as quickly as it appeared. The sweetness is border line cloying which I wasn't really expecting.

D- Overall, this is definitely one of the most interesting brews that I have had. Way too sweet to be considered an IPA by me, but it certainly wasn't a bad brew. In fact I enjoyed it quite a bit. The alcohol, even though it is rather apparent, is exceptionally well hidden considering how strong it is. Certainly worth trying.

1.46/5  rDev -64.5%

Anybody who's had a colonoscopy knows how hard it is to drink the prep. You hold your nose and do anything possible to distract yourself from the thick sickenly sweet, perfumely, pungent, syrup that's about to enter your body. I find myself doing the same with this brew. The sweetness is too much to take. The smell is not pleasant, and the mouth feel, combined with the above conspires to make the whole experience unpleasant. I tried really hard to finish the bottle, but alas, it's down the drain.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

One of the legendary beers. Poured a very cloudy amber/brown with a tiny head that became embarrassed, and shrank to nothing, immediately. The aroma was ripe, dark fruits, and sweet alcohol. The taste was boozy, malty sweet, I didn't find the highly vaunted, super hop presence here. Feel is full bodied with light carbonation. The drinkability is fair to middling. Overall, this appears to be one of those love it or hate it beer, with me firmly ensconced in the middle. 120 Minute was tasty, and I know production costs must be high, but not worth the price. Although, ya gotta have just one in your lifetime.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

I've heard about this beer for years. It is obviously not available in the Carolinas or anywhere close as far as I know. I finally got around to obtaining two 120s through a beer trade about two weeks ago. I plan on aging one but I've been waiting for the right time to drink the other, since it is so hard to for me to come by. Here we go...

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Bottled on date reads 07/07/08. I poured this just above refrigerator temperature, wanting to experience the full range of flavors as it warmed.

Poured the whole bottle aggressively into the snifter. To my surprise, a small amount of head developed. It didn't stick around for long, as would be expected. Color is a hazy ruby amber.

Strong smell of sweet currants and alcohol. No hop character comes thorough in the aroma.

First sip has a heavy presence of alcohol, along with a brown sugary sweetness. The warming feel of the alcohol is something I've never quite experienced in a beer. The flavor is almost too complex to describe. The complexities keep changing as the beer warms. Sweet fruits, continue to dominate the flavors. It is definitely not the hop bomb I would have expected. The hops remain largely unnoticeable until it reaches room temperature. It tastes more a ruby port more than it does a IIPA.

A nice amount of carbonation keeps it from becoming to syrupy or chewy. The lasting flavor is amazing.

I can't believe I am saying this but it is relatively drinkable. I mean, it's not something to have two of, but it is great for sipping.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Amber body with little head - some retention and a bit of spotty lacing.

S: Pine covered in sap. Sweet aroma quickly follows, unlike most IPA. Very Spicy - cloves.

T: Very little hops, extremely sweet - this is to beer what port is to wine. Alcohol a major player and forces smaller than normal sips.

M: medium to full bodied. A very sweet and boozy finish.

D: Not the most drinkable beer by the standard measure, but not bad for what it is - a very high abv extreme beer.

2.24/5  rDev -45.5%

Living in Georgia, I always heard about it. Moving to new york i finally get to try it out. It was so strange that i tried it two nights in a row. it's like someone dumped turpentine into my brownies. smells great, looks good. tastes bad. big disappointment again from dogfish.

2.68/5  rDev -34.8%

This is not a recreational beer. It is meant for beer "sipping". It pours with a sweet aroma and little head. It is a deep amber color and totally opaque. If you are a true IPA fan you will probably not enjoy the experience since what hoppiness it has is overpowered by the strength of the alcohol content. It will definitely make you feel good, but there are more satisfying ways to make that happen. NOT FOR IPA LOVERS!!

3.03/5  rDev -26.3%

12oz bottle poured in a snifter.

Pour a deep golden color, much darker than the 90 minute IPA, no head or lacing to speak of on this. It's very sweet on the nose with almost no hoppiness to it. A little suprising, but at 21%abv... don't expect anything.

taste is crazy, obviously very strong, more like a desert wine han a beer. No hop to it at all, which is a bit sad because the alcohol covers it all up and just dominates. it's very sweet and syrupy. Drinkability is so low because it's so strong. One is plenty. I split mine with a friend. You should do the same.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured in a big wine glass at 54 F/ 12 C.

Deep amber color, Ring and film of light beige froth, finely textured rings of lace.

Bright, powerful aroma of lemon, grapefruit, fresh spruce tips, sweet white wine, and light caramel. Just a bit of alcohol, surprisingly little. Tart and zippy, this aroma is surprising and very pleasant.

Tastes like sweet white grapes/ white wine, quite a lot, with bright citrusy hops. More lime than lemon, along with grapefruit and a bit of pine. A medium level of bitterness gradually comes in, barely putting a dent in the sweetness, but that's ok, the sweetness works well with the citrus flavors and is quite enjoyable. Long finish, sticky sweet white grape juice and bitter lime zest.

Thick sticky sweet texture. Surprisingly easy to drink for what it is, not that I would crack a second bottle.

Good interesting beer, with surprising finesse.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a shimmering copper with an off white head. More of a head than I was expecting. Also, I was expecting it to be a little more gloopy.

Even mentally preparing myself, and making sure to be open minded, I was still pretty surprised by the smell. Lots of alcohol, but also a decent amount of citrus and sweetness. Avoiding big whiffs, the heat from the alcohol combines with the citrus to make an interesting smell of perhaps caramelized grapefruit. Bigger whiffs reveal a bigger punch from the alcohol.

Approaching the taste the same way as the smell, taking small sips, makes it much more palatable. Sweet pine and citrus. Toasty malts in the background. Leaves a comforting warm finish.

The subtle carbonation helps out quite a bit. If this were thicker, it may be pretty hard to drink. It also avoids being overly fizzy...but that probably wouldn't have been an issue.

If I didn't know what I was getting into, my review would probably be different. It is really boozy for a beer...but it is still drinks like a beer. I drink most of my beer fairly slowly anyway.

Overall, it's not really what you'd expect for the style, but I wouldn't disregard anything that is pushing the envelope.

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

Spectacular extreme IPA. Complex, heavy, and very boozy. A sipper to enjoy slowly.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle. Iconic though simple Dogfish Head Design. Another understatement other than for the front phrase, which is nowhere near to hinting at what the bottle actually holds. Green warning bottle cap points to those in the know that this is one of the extreme experimental brews from Dogfish. Printed bottling date on side (07/08/08 F), neither shows IBUs or °Plato, nor Alc. (which at about 18.0% is something that is a critical part of its identity) Poured into a medium size snifter.

A - Hazy copper color. Touch of head on the first pour that quickly goes down to a faint ring with minimal surface presence.

S - Touch of orange peel and pine resin surrounded by balmy alcohol that subdues all hoppiness. A fragrant booziness that is perceived well outside the glass.

T - Very sweet and alcohol laden first sip. It offers further complexity as it goes through with a strange heavy fruity hoppiness as the backdrop.

M - Minimal carbonation within a very heavy body and something of an oily bite to it.

D - It's a delight to drink. It has to be taken with the right attitude, in essence knowing that it is a complex brew that is better drank like one would a fine brandy

Notes: These eccentricity is a total favorite. Great as the final warming sipper after a meal or the final note for a group beer tasting dinner. I think a common misconception is that this is going to be a heavy DIPA very hoppy and bitter, whereas so many hops and malts make it very sweet, boozy and complex taking it to another range of flavors.

3.36/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

So here it is, the 120.

Comes in a 12 fluid ounce glass with a neon green Dogfish Head logo "warning sign" cap. Says it ages well. Bottled on 11/06/08, so its realatively fresh. If this one doesn't go over well I'm definitely keeping one of these to cellar for a few years. It has just under a year under it's belt since it has been bottles. I would also want to try a completely fresh version of this.

Upon uncapping there is a rampant syrupy cough medicine scent. I pour it into an over-sized wine glass, has a small 1 finger head that dissipates within a minute leaving behind some speckled lacing. The lacing is very gooey, expecting a high sugar content. The beer itself is a nice dense copper/orange. There is a fair amount of yeast visible.

Initial smell was medicinal when I uncapped it but in the glass it has a decent amount of hops, and some sweet malt along with an uneconomical blast of alcohol that stings the nostrils. The hops are fruity, citrusy, and a bit spicy. You can smell the massive amount of dry-hopping that went into this brew. The malt is decidedly rummy and mixes with the alcohol.

Has a creamy, thick, and chewy mouthfeel. Not enough carbonation. Surprisingly the taste is hoppier than expected, although still dominated by cloying sweet malts though. Initial drink gives some major sweetness and some hops but on the second you can pick out a lot of citrus and tropical fruits. The alcohol serenades the tongue and intensifies the sweetness. Ends with a dry finish with some bittersweetness. It actually mellows sip after sip, probably the alcohol acting up, haha.

Overall this is one bad motherfucker, I would recommend a half bottle for yourself, and the other half to share. Its a slow sipper with just enough hops on the palate to make it worthwhile. Just pure intensity.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery