120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,056
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

My bottle is the latest batch to come out as it was bottle 7/7/08. Poured into a snifter because I was told this batch was maltier than the usual so I figured I would go with that instead of a winge glass or tulip. Poured a cloudy auburn with gold tints that gave one-finger head that stuck around forever and left a slight lace ring. A complex array of sweet malts like caramel, butterscotch and maybe honey or something. Also in the nose is a great hop presenece that brings both citric fruit notes (lemon) and some tart and dark fruits like sour apples, pear and a little black cherry. My first instinct when trying this is that it would be a "hopbomb", and it VERY hoppy, there is a thickness and stickiness to it from the sweet malts (mostly caramel in this regard). There is also tart and citric fruit tastes in this fuller-bodied beer that rolls across the tongue for the most part (like I said, a tad sticky at some points). The only drawback is a very minor alcohol burn on the backbite which stems from the immense ABV%. For that reason (the ABV, not the burn) and the cost (I'm not rich) prevent me from sessioning this bad boy. This reminded me a of Belgian Triple and maybe a heavy Dubbel, and is one of the best beers I've had in a long, long time. If you haven't tried the current batch I recommend so immediately.

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So I've been holding back to actually reviewing on this site, self conscious I guess, but I think tonight with this beer is finally the time to write an actual review. How could I not start with a 120?

A: Deep golden amber, thin white head that dissipates to a ring quickly. If it was a girl, I'd call it pretty. It looks pretty. Weird, but whatever this is an amazing beer.

S: Hops, but not the usual hop smell. This is hops packed in candy. A sweetness that is unusual in beer. This almost smells crystallized. Crystallized hops.

T: Smooth, sweet hoppiness. Not overwhelming at all. A slight citrus flavor, backed up by sweetness. I can't taste any alcohol, except perhaps for a brief hint at the mid-throat level. 40 proof? Completely hidden.

M: The carbonation is light, but it still feels like silk. Yum.

D: Could I have more than one? Yes. But this is something to share.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

dogfish head is a favorite of mine in general. do i like every beer they make? i would be lying if i answered yes. however, where as i dont love all of them thru and thru, i do respect and love their attitude to experiment and adventure with their beer. they really put their money where their mouth is and you have to respect that.

the 120 i have had was on tap. i have had it twice so far. once at the actual brewery where they were serving an oak aged version and now at julians. at julians it doesnt say that it is the oak aged but i have a very stron suspicion that it is indeed the same beer.

first off, its a twenty percenter so prepare to have ONE and surely do it on a full stomach. It has a nice amber color with a faint head more similar to a cider, as in barely but a few bubbles on top.

the smell is amazing. floral. hoppy. alcoholly.

the taste is surreal. very complex like an expensive wine that occasionally reminds you that you do indeed like wine. the chain of flavors is perfectly segregated but blended so well and smoothly. first you taste the bitter, the hops, the spring like floral powder. then you get the grapefruit and citrus sweetness. lastly a dry oaky finish. really a wild ride. so smooth. so smooth that although you do feel the alcohol you barely notice it while you are drinking despite how strong it is on the nose initially.

obviously not something to drink everyday but you must at least once treat yourself to this delicious brew.

4.55/5  rDev +11%

Solidly cloudy deep orange, with some fade to cloudy deep gold, and a creamy creamy cap.

Woahwah! It's super caramel malty and simply gushing with fruits. Bitter and spicy, damn tasty, supremely sippable, syrupy uber-full smooth, and a thickly creamy carb.

Glad I split this bottle, but a worthy beer for certain. Well deserved reputation. A hop-head's hard alcohol.

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Here before me, a 120 Minute IPA. Bottled in '03. The beer poured a great looking very light head. The coloring was a dark amber-brown with some orange hints when held up to light.

The smell was very floral and fruity. The aromatics consisted of apricot, peach, and honey.

The taste of the beer continues on this apricot trend. In addition, there are elements of mango, and more honey. There is a pretty significant malt flavor as well. The alcohol, which is a major talking point about this beer, is well hidden through the drinking, but rises up a bit during the aftertaste.

The texture of this beer is more like wine than beer. Thick, sticky, sweet, and a numbing due to the alcohol. I feel like I have a sterilized tongue, then someone comes in with a flavor injection.

As far as drinkability, obviously you wouldn't want to have more than one. In fact, I had to wait till the next day to write the review. However, for the punch that this beer packs, it hides the alcohol taste well, and it is highly enjoyable and is a highly drinkable brew.

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Bought a 12 oz. bottle of this at a grocery store in Portland, Oregon, and brought it home to Ohio. Decanted into a white wine glass (tall sides, nice and open).

It looks just like apple cider: cloudy brownish-red, with a thin rim of white lace. It's delicious - makes me look forward to fall.

The first thing I notice with my nose in the glass is a sharp twang of alcohol, followed by a bunch of strong sweet, fruity notes. It smells like apple cider spiked with brandy or rum. Strong sugar notes, too: brown sugar and molasses. Can't detect a hit of the hops.

The taste is dominated by the alcohol and sweet notes as well. Begins with a big cut of alcohol, then again the brown sugar, apples, molasses, and a general boozy sense kick in. There's some bitterness in the finish, like apple skins, although there is a bitter herbal hoppiness in the aftertaste. For something marketed as "The Imperial India Pale Ale," I expected more of this off-the-hook hoppiness, when instead I'm getting strong boozy characteristics. This honestly reminds me of DFH's Raison D'extra more than the 60 or 90 Minute IPAs.

Mouthfeel is pretty thick, again like a heavy cider. Seems a good complement to the bold flavors.

You have to drink this slowly because of the high, high alcohol and the overt sweetness. Interesting experience; glad I tried one, but I probably won't go back for another.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Poured a medium burnt caramel-orange with a thin, creamy light beige head that had some orange hues to it. The head diminished rather quickly while the lacing was clean. Visible carbonation was light.

S: The nose was very sweet, with pungent pink grapefruit with sugary notes and a beautiful floral aroma. Some tangerines and sweet pine also are detected rounding out the aroma which was very nice.

T: The initial flavor was pungent pink grapefruit with a big sugary sweetness and floral hoppiness. There was some tangerines, sweet caramel and sweet pine resin also detected. A sticky caramel and sweet grapefruit hop lacing is found on the finish with only a slight alcohol awareness of the massive 20% abv. which is beautifully masked by the huge sweet malting and citrusy sweet hopping. The finish finds a dry floral, pine hopping and a beautiful balance of sweet caramel malts and hops that simply has to be experienced by oneself.

M: The mouthful is oily, thick and viscose with sticky sweet grapefruit and pine resin and caramel with a dry flora bitterness on the fade. There is a spicy alcohol nature upon warming but is very subdued considering the 20% abv.

D: Amazing drinkability, hardly any detection of the massive 20% abv nature which could be dangerous. A monster ipa that was beautifully crafted and balanced. Needless to say one should be plenty enough for an evenings enjoyment. Comes highly recommended and worthy of its price per pound. You just gotta taste this for yourself.

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Being a huge fan of Imperial IPAs I have to say Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA is like the dessert to end all desserts of India Pale Ales. It has a sweetness comparable to an english style barleywine ale with a delicious hint of piney robust hops at the end.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

12 oz bottle dated 6/10/2007, courtesy of one of the DFH employees (many thanks!)

Surprising. I was thinking this would either be too sticky and sugary sweet per the other reviews, or just a massive hop bomb by nature, but its something completely different.

Yes, it's sweet, and yes, it's sticky. But it's not overboard on either. Definitely a slow drinker, not a whole lot of aroma to my bottle, but the aging seems to have mellowed out the profile.

Much more drinkable than I thought. Some lingering hop resin on the tongue late, not as much as I expected but about as bad as I've had just the same. This was something I'd try once, maybe get halfway through, but I easily finished it, enjoyed the fruity and sweet nature, definitely worth another try.

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Bottle dated 10/10/07

A- A really clear orange. Poured right down the center but not too much head on this. Only some white film and bubbles.

S- First thing that hits is an alcohol sting. But there is a huge fruity sweetness. Orangy.

T- Very fruity up front, finishes with a burnt sugar quality that reminds me so much of the burnt outer coating of a roasted marshmallow that has caught a bit on fire. As it warms up its just so amazingly sweet. I'm thinking the sweetness is really coming from the alcohol+hops and not so much underattenuated malt, although it could be some that.

M- at first there was a lot of fine carbonation in it, like minuscule bubbles. It's actually very good carbonation for the type of drink this is.

I thought I could only take my first 3 oz pour of it, since it was so sweet, but I've gone back for a 2nd pour. I really like this much better at fridge temp, cause when it warms up it gets way too sweet for me. But only wanting to drink about 6oz doesn't equate good drinkability to me, 21% ABV or not.

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

From notes:

A: Very rich copper color with an off white head, reduced to a thin film, but had longer retention than I thought, especially being 21%. 4.5

S: Sweet, melons really stand out, cantaloupe being the dominate one. Very malty and hoppy as well, very little alcohol smell, which is very surprising. 4.0

T: Very malty and sweet up front, the alcohol is very present throughout this beer, the same melon sweetness is in the beer. Hops are very interesting, and not what I expected. I figured on a flaming hop bomb, but the bitterness was very
balanced and almost over powered by alcohol, as it warms the hops really start to shine. Very interesting and complex, many different flavors and sensations, bitterness really pops out with warmth. 4.0

M: Very thick and creamy lots of malts, alcohol does a nice warming job. Very little carbonation but more than I thought with the ABV. 4.0

D: This is a once in a while/once in a lifetime beer. It is ok, but nothing worth $10 a 12oz bottle. If I had two I'd drink one and age the other for about twenty years and compare, not follow up with another one. 3.0

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Here it is my favorite beer and my first review....

A - Deep cloudy golden orange color with a small off white head

S - Hops, sweet molasses, hops, fruit, and hops

T - Warm sweet bourbon, strong hops with a caramel malt very well balanced

M - Thick, creamy and warm

D - YES! With the 20% abv you need to take your time with this one, and that is the key to enjoyment, "ONE" at a time.

I had this on several occasions now. First time I purchased it at Union Jacks while I was there for the Easter Hop Fest 2008. My next experience was at DFH Brewery Tour and again at the DFH Restaurant, 7/2008. I am now holding a 4 pack for future consumption. Overall I would have to say it is "The Great One" of IPA's.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

My 1 year anniversary as a beer advocate member review, decided to spend it drinking the most biggest, baddest, hoppiest muthfucker in existence.
Pours out a dirty amber apricot grapefruit toned golden murky color, nice white foamy head leaving sticky lacing in the glass
If still had nose hairs after smelling the beer I could continue with aroma bouquet, but my nose had been burned off. Delicious, citric, burning Grand marnier-like notes, malts, even charcoal like.
Holy fucking hops batman! I actually cant believe how balanced it is, huge malt bill in a tug-of war with the hops, huge grapefruits, citrus, malts,spicy alcohol, burning finish.
this is an incredibly drinkable Dipa, this goes where none have dared venture, yet is the textbook explanation of a beer brewed to be an extreme ipa doubled. drink in small sips, straight to the back of the throat for your own safety. will anything ever taste hoopy again?

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

Is there any reason why this one has a clever warning symbol painted on the cap?

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass, a very dark amber color with light foam that settled into a thin cap, only to disappear completely very quickly. A quick swirl of the glass brings the foam back, and some nice carbonation is is created from the laser etching in the glass. Upon taking a big whiff of this thing, it's surprising not all hops and no malt. In fact it's the opposite. First hit is of strong, warming alcohol, followed by big bready malts, and then the floral, piney hop smell.

Good lord, what have I gotten myself into? This is the most extreme beer I've ever tasted. It's VERY sweet. Almost too sweet for a DIPA. I don't know if I could consider it that, as it's more along the lines of a barley wine. Maybe they should create a new category just for this beer known as TIPA (Triple India Pale Ale).

Malts are very present, lots of caramel flavor, very bready and thick. Hops are a mega-blast of resinous hop oil, slightly fruity, but mostly sweet with lots of candied-sugar and maple syrup flavors. Alcohol warming is deep and very present.

Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, very full-bodied - syrupy. There's somewhat average carbonation by the look, but very hard to feel on the tongue.

Obviously this is a one-off beer only. There's no way I could drink more than one in a sitting and not lose my head. Alcohol is just way to high and it's WAY too sweet.

I'm not sure what to think about this one. I kinda like, but I want to hate it. It's big. It's ballsy. And yes, it's extreme. But are there many more redeeming qualities?

Not many.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Wow, this one is tough to review in a way. It is unlike any other Imperial IPA I have ever tried. The 90-minute would be my standard for an Imperial/Double IPA, and this just takes it to a completely different level. An EXTREME beer. I rated it exceptional in almost all categories, because it is exceptional - an exception to the IPA style.

A=Pours a deep amber color with a small, tightly-packed, off-white head. Thick and syrupy.

S= Molasses, brown sugar, apricots, port, alcohol. If you're looking for the Citrusy/Piney/Hoppy features, it's not here.

T=Again, unlike a typical IPA, none of the citrus/pine hop profile. Instead, it is overwhelmingly syrupy/peachy with an alcohol punch, lots of complex flavors going on here.

M=Coats the mouth. Almost a medicine-y mouthfeel. Cloyingly sweet finish.

D= This would be a nice after-dinner bear in place of a port or brandy. Must be sipped slowly to be enjoyed

4.93/5  rDev +20.2%

Proabably the best IPA I've ever had. The alcohol taste is there, but for 21% you couldn't tell until that buzz kicks in :)

This beer reminds me alot of a liqour and has a peachy liquor(for lack of a better description) smell to it. The biggest draw back to this beer is the cost at $8.99 a bottle, but you do get your moneys worth. Don't plan on drinking other IPA's with this beer at the same time because it's in a whole other league.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

A- Looks like what I'd imagine a beer that is 21% alcohol would look like super deep copper color almost syrupy on the pour.

S- Scents of candied fruits and some citrus.

T- WHOA. that was pretty much the same taste as doin a shot.
lots of malt flavors of dried and candied fruit slight hops undertone. Then lots of one thing and that's alcohol.

M- Less viscous than I expected. Moderate amounts of very fine carbonation.

D- I should rate this lower since this stuff is not some much drinkable as an experience. Ive had bourbons at 40+% abv that were smoother.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

Big IPA fan as well as huge DFH fan, so trying the 120 was a must. But.. holy crap this thing is intense.

Poured from a 12oz bottle (purcahsed at a Whole Foods of all places for about $12 I believe) into a goblet. First impression, just watching it pour - was that the stuff has the consistency of syrup. I knew going into it that at 21% this was going to be in a league of its own and nothing like DFH's other IPA's, and that was a severe understatement.

No doubt DFH set out to create the most extreme IPA they could, and I guess you could say it's a success in that regard.

After pouring, I took a whiff and it's a little hard to describe. It actually smells thick and syrupy -- with the hops right in your face. There's a fruity/floral smell mixed with the hops, but the hops hit you right away -- and oddly, it actually smells syrupy if that makes any sense.

The taste is like no other beer I've ever tried. If I didn't know it was an iteration of an IPA, I probably wouldn't have guessed that it was. If you're thinking -- well, I like theiri 60 min, and the 90 is good too -- well know that this thing bears little resemblance to either of those.

Needless to say, drinkability is hindered by the abv%, one bottle of this is something you'd want to enjoy slowly. The taste grows on you substantially from the first sip to the last.

If you call yourself a hophead, give it a try - at least once.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

The infamous 120 minute IPA definitely holds its weight, kinda thick. I love the dogfish head brewery and IPA's, so this was a must try for me, at 21% abv, I was impressed with the taste. However that being said, for the average beer drinker it is semi too much, most non beer enthusiasts will make a face if you let them try or smell it, It is a must try for all IPA lovers but ill stick with the more drinkable 60, or 90.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Now here's a beer I have wanted to try for a while. Barcade, I salute you, thanks for tapping this...

Appearance - Thick, viscous, cloudy, almost chunky. Looks a lot like old-school apple cider. No head, a thin coating. Unusual, to say the least, though not unappealing.

Smell - Pungent. Real strong aroma of paint thinner. Tangerine, a bit of hops, and a whole bunch o' alcohol.

Taste - Oh my. Sweet, sweet, sweet liquer. Tart apples, toffee, floral and citric hops, bubblegum, oak. A potpourri of flavors here, amazingly complex.

Mouthfeel - Chalky feel, almost powdery. Thick. Quite acidic.

Drinkability - This really depends upon your definition. Incredibly complex with a 21% ABV, versus a tasty and interesting beer that seems to get better with each sip. You make the call.

Leave it to Dogfish Head to not push but eviscerate the boundaries. 120 Minute IPA is unique, and a must try.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Pours a cloudy orange that doesn't let much light through at all. An aggressive pour resulted in a very minimal amount of head that disappears quickly down to a small ring. The ring stays all the way down since tiny bubbles come up from the bottom constantly to keep it around. The small ring of foam does leaves a sheet of lacing behind as it is consumed.

S: Hops, hops, and more hop aroma. They have a sweet citrus aroma. I really do not pick up anything else in the aroma. I like the hop aroma, but there are many in the style that are more complex and pleasing.

T: The hops and alcohol attack the mouth as soon as it crosses the lips. The two go hand in hand to make the mouth tingle just a bit feeling almost astringent in nature. It is in some ways similar to a Belgian style beer, but with a ton of alcohol and a ton of hops at the start. As it starts to warm, more of a malt backbone starts to come through. The affect of the alcohol and malt in the taste start to subside. It then reminds me of some of the better barleywines with a bitter after taste kick from the hops that many of those do not have in such high concentrations. This beer is like a chameleon constantly changing. Thank goodness I got two of these even if it set me back $8.50 a piece for a 12 oz.

M: A very thick creamy mouthfeel. The hops and alcohol make it have almost a very tingly sensation in the mouth. It is a very interesting and unusual experience.

D: I struggles a bit with how to rank this one for drinkability. Its a HUGE beer so obviously you can't knock it back unless you want it to return the favor. It is a bit of a sipper, but for the style it is very drinkable. It makes you want to come back for the next sip to see what new thing you notice.

This may not have ended up ranking as one of my favorites, but it was surely one of the most amazing experiences I have had drinking beer.

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Finally got a couple bottles of this too-alcoholic-for-Ohio IPA at the source on a recent trip to the east coast (it always sells out at the store I go to in PA before I have a chance to get there).

A: Pours a dark amber- darker than any IPA I've ever seen. Hardly any light comes through- again, strange for the style, but in a positive way. An agressive pour yielded a one finger whitish head.

S: Smells of citrusy hops, not much else (and since I'm a hophead, this is a good thing).

T: Hmm. I was expecting an atomic hop bomb, not quite what I got. The hops are very present, sure, but a strong, almost barleywine-like malt presence as well, and alcohol. (I know, I know, it's 21%, but I've had beers from DFH in the 18-20% range that hide their alcohol presence quite well.)

M: Thick, syrupy mouthfeel, which I like, but the carbonation and the alcohol burn are a tad much IMO.

D: It's 21%. Need I say more?

I'm really glad I got a chance to try this one, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again, especially given the price. Perhaps I'll age the other bottle and see what that does, but as it stands I prefer the 90 and even the 60 minute varieties.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

This is a beautiful extreme beer from Dogfish Head. Poured a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Color is a deep rich orangish-copper with little head. Carbonation is present and sticks to the sides of the glass. Smell is in your face hops, pine and candy sweetness. This is a beer you have to sip. It's amazing how this beer can be so incredibly sweet, yet bitter hops shine through at the same time. Delicious.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance - Heavily clouded burnt orange in color with a creamy white head. It maintains a solid amount of head all the way through, and you can see the carbonation lacing the sides of the glass on its way up.

Smell - Sweet hops smell surprisingly with some raisins/figs in there. Also a bit of a caramel malt smell.
The smell is a bit underwhelming, especially considering how loaded this one is.

Taste - If I didn't know any better, I'd think I was drinking a hoppy version of the Raison D'Extra. It really does feel like a Belgian with hops thrown in, although this accomplishes it so much better than other examples I have had. The things that really jump out are the raisin/fig flavor again, hops entering in slightly thereafter, and finishing with caramel and alcohol. There's a few other fruit flavors floating around on the tongue as well.

Mouthfeel - Perfect. It doesn't need explaining.

Drinkability - Even with the reviews I had read, I was still expecting a hop bomb. Once I get past the fact that this is more of a treat than a true DIPA... it becomes apparent how well made it is. The alcohol is so well masked that I am having trouble believing this is anywhere near 21%. I truly could sip on this to the end of eternity, it has a fantastic blend of everything I would look for in a great beer... I love Belgians and I love IPAs, and it really feels like the perfect blend of the 2. I was setting myself up for disappointment on this one... and its come out my favorite beer in the end.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Unusual experience, much different than I expected. Poured a golden/amber color, cloudy with a surprisingly (for the abv) big head, although this would be a small head for a more reasonable octane beer. Smell is hops and caramel.

I was expecting a hops bomb, backed up by a too sweet and burning alcohol taste. Happily surprised that this was not the case. This tasted more like an English Barleywine (JW Lees) with a hops factor added in. Granted, I had imbibed a few other beers including SN Southern Hemisphere Fresh Hops first, but I did not see this as a grit your teeth drinking experience.

There was caramel, fruit, hops, malt and some alcohol taste - overall very pleasant but not something you would slam down in quantity.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy, the alcohol does not affect the mouthfeel or the taste in any negative way. How do you rate drinkability on a 21 percent beer? I split the 12 oz bottle and had a satisfying amount. Compared to other DIPAs drinkability is average. I will probably get another one to taste so I don't have the fresh hops on my palate and tongue first.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery