120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
2.13/5  rDev -47.9%

Bottle. Gentle citric aroma. Huge syrupy thick flavour - spicky and shocking, almost revolting. Doesn't invite further investigation - in fact, the opposite. A gagging action comes into operation after a few sips. A true drain pour. A crude and excessive beer that doesn't taste as if it's been fully brewed out.

SteveP, Oct 10, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured a dark golden orange, somewhat cloudy color. Small white head, was creamy then dissipated, to an out lacing. Smelled very floral. Tastes sweet, not hoppy as I expected. Warming as it goes down. Thick mouthfeel. Aftertaste somewhat bitter, leaving a taste of alcohol. Drinkability? Not all night, I'm guessing one's enough. But I will definetly have it again! Very pleasing and completely new taste for me.

finepaws, Sep 30, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -11.2%

2003 edition

Golden yellow copper appearance. Very interesting. Slight head that disappears quickly. Smell is grapefruity, floral hops, and lots of alcohol. I really can't believe the way the alcohol hides in the taste here when cold but becomes so apparent as it warms. Maple syrup texture mixed in with an upfront honey sweetness. Lots of residual sugars. Alcohol, though hidden well by the sweetness, tries to offset the syruppy texture and cloying aspects to some avail but ultimately suffers. It does however provide another depth of flavor. Slight grassy hops lie underneath but are faint until the finish. They are stronger in the finish but here the alcohol kick comes in for real. I feel it trickle down my body warming me up instantly. That is very good and very intense but the flavor profile seems to lack a depth or creativity that the really excellent beers have. However, I am very glad I tried it and will get a few more to have when the occassion calls for it, maybe anytime in the Michigan winter.

granger10, Sep 27, 2004
3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

12 oz bottle

Pours dark copper-brown with minimal head.

Smell was big with malt and alcohol but surprisingly thin on hops. There are certainly some floral notes in there though.

Taste is very full, which kinda threw me off. I was expecting a hop monster, but the malt sweetness was so high that it pretty much took over. If this had been a blind testing I would have thought I was drinking a barley wine. The alcohol that was very present in the nose sure does hide in the taste though. I would have guessed around 10-11% and to be honest I forgot that this was a 20% beer until I started this review.

This is a dangerously drinkable beer, but at $7.99 I don't expect to make it a regular.

hobbes2112, Sep 26, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer has sat in my fridge for weeks, I’ve really anticipated trying it but have been waiting for just the right moment to sit and enjoy it. It was also highly recommended to me to try this with pancakes so that was a further issue. Well here it is, Friday afternoon, my work closed due to flood warnings, the perfect time for a nice late “breakfast” of pancakes and 40 proof beer.

This is a 12oz bottle, with the DFH head labels I so love which indicates this was a member of the ’03 batch (being consumed 9/04). I pulled it from the refrigerator and let it sit while I made my pancakes and reach cellar temperature. Upon cracking the cap I heard the faintest hiss of carbonation escaping and could already smell hops and alcohol with the bottle literally feet away from my face, pouring it resulted in that smell spreading even further. I served this one in my round goblet, looking through the body is the color of beaten copper. The head is meager, but that is to be expected in a beer that is this huge. What does survive the blistering ABV is very sticky and clings to the glass creating spider-web thin patterns of lacing. Only the tiniest stream of teeny-tiny carbonation bubbles roll up through the center of the goblet and coalesce into the thin filmy layer of head that survives.

Wow, the smell is a truly unique and powerful experience unparalleled by anything I’ve ever encountered. Hops and alcohol, big time. The hops smell juicy and citrusey and the alcohol comes off a bit grainy and oaky. The two seem to be married though so it’s almost hard to discriminate when you’ve stopped smelling hops and started smelling alcohol. Sticky sweet caramelly malt also resides powerfully in the nose, standing up even to the forces of the hops and booze.

As anticipated by the smell, the taste is unlike anything I’ve ever tried before either. The beginning presents me with a faint hint of the floral hops and vibrating bitterness that will fully unfurl later, I catch a hint of a dry apple taste that I find commonly in higher ABV beers here as well. The middle is as explosive with malts as some of the most girthy barleywines I have tried before. Sweet, sticky, sweet and sweet, I agree with others if you don’t like beers that have a lot of residual sweetness in them, than this beer is not for you. It almost seems I could pour this on my pancakes in substitution for syrup. You won’t hear me complaining though!! The finish completes the voyage and brings it full circle, flat, ground-shaking bitterness, and floral, citrusy hop flavors appear as the last of the sweet malt is being pryed from your tongue, a spicy alcohol character appears before you swallow and a gust of alcohol fumes seems to assault my nose from the inside out. Warmth from the alcohol spreads welcomely down my throat and pools in my belly. The carbonation is very soft and if you didn’t catch it the mouthfeel is syrupy and sticky.

Wow, very different from what I was expecting, yet no less amazing. If you’re smart you’ll take the advice I did and plan yourself a special little block of time, with a nice meal of pancakes and sip away. Thanks John.

FormatKid, Sep 17, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

12 fl. oz. bottle, $9.99 + Deposit at Marty's Fine Wines of Newton in Newton, Massachusetts.

"Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA The Imperial India Pale Ale"
AGES WELL Brewed in 03.

"What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continually hopped for over a 120 minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month. Enjoy now or age for a decade or so."

Holy grail is quite fitting, as this beer has reached legandary stature, and for very good reason. The first time I tried this was at Charlie's Kitchen at a Dogfish Head tasting and Sam brought a mini keg, it was unbelievable.

This bottle poured a mellow, Fall brown with minimal head. Smells very sweet and hoppy, with a hints of alcohol as well. Tastes strongly of alcohol and hops. It's very sweet and smooth and goes down all too easily for something that is 20% alcohol. Needless to say drinkability is quite low on this one, well it is if you wish to avoid becoming comatose that is.

Great beer, everyone, not only hopheads, needs to try this monster at least once in their lives..

fdrich29, Sep 14, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a bright honey-gold with a thin, lasting head and tiny, tiny microbubbles throughout. Aroma is fruity citrus and pale malt, not that much different than other IPAs. No trace of alcohol in the nose (more noticeable as it warms, though).

Taste is very strong, sweet malts and orangey hops with a fair dose of candy sugar. Very nice hop presence without being too cloying or overpowering with bitterness. Taste reminds me of a very high-octane SNPA or Celebration mutant. Very much in the barley wine league rather than IPA both in taste and heft. Little trace of alcohol in the taste either, but a familiar burn going down the gullet leaves one with no mistake that this is a sipping beverage.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy but very, very smooth. Impressions are more towards a nice hoppy brandy than a beer. A credit to the brewer that such an outrageous product is not only still drinkable but enjoyable. The label says "Ages Well" (mine is a 2004 bottle) and I am only too curious to find out.

assurbanipaul, Sep 13, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Dark-orange with a small, soft head.

Aroma full of citrusy and bitter hops as well as spicy sweetness and alcohol.

Full bodied, quite smooth. Some hop bitterness up front that combine with a powerful alcohol flavor and spiciness. As it warms, traditional IPA bitterness becomes more pronounced, but very subtle compared to the sweetness and alcohol. Finishes with a bittersweetness and leaves an alcohol coating all over the mouth.

Not really what I was hoping for. The 90 minute is much better and the hops presence here is really minimal. A cool idea, and it's good to see someone pushing the envelope, but it's nothing special.

Southernbrew, Sep 09, 2004
3.43/5  rDev -16.1%

Re-review.

Tried this again. My initial review was overly positive, probably because I didn't expect this thing to be drinkable. I tried again.

It's thick and sticky, with a nice amber tone and a fluffy, sticky eggshell head. The smell is of malts and grass and syrupy fruits. The first taste isn't hoppy, not in the bitter sense, rather it's sweet with a little bit of piney(?) hop. God, it's sweet. As it warms, it gets syrupy. Thick and sticky, still drinkable, and still quite sweet. It's not bad, but it's not something to drink much of, there are too many better beers out there. Oversweet and too heavy. A nice experiment.

I described it earlier as balanced, but it's not. It's sweet and lacking in depth. Huge and simple.

Over-hyped, overblown, but I liked it the first time.

nogoodreason, Sep 08, 2004
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Served from a 12 oz bottle marked as brewed in 04. Frothy, stiff white head tops the golden tan, clear beer that shows medium carbonation through the glass. Not surprisingly the aroma is all bitter hops. I didn't know I could taste bitterness with my nose, but on this beer I certainly can.

The flavor is strong of bitter hops and a slight floral taste. Alcohol also permeates the flavors and the beer sits very warm in the stomach. It's also slightly sour and bready with the flavor of a pale malt. Sadly though, the beer is less complex than I would expect. The strong alcohol taste tends to dominate so much that any complexity in the beer is just overpowered. The sweetness is nice, but it does lack the complexity of a great beer.

BrewMaster, Sep 07, 2004

This one came to me thanks to the fine BeerAdvocate mikeys01, as part of HHHIF 1.0 take two. The pour was intense reddish orange with a foamy smallish head capping the body. There was very little latent carbonation to speak of. The aroma was much more subdued than I had anticipated, with resinous hop presence balanced out by sweet malts, and perfumey alcohol. The taste nearly bowled me over with the extreme sweetness of the first sip. The next sips revealed spicy, warm alcohol, and surprisingly very little hop bit, but the initial sweetness continued to overpower all other tastes. The mouthfeel is syrupy and sticky, with a deep burn. The drinkability is a letdown. This is a genre busting drink that is very unlike any other Imperial IPA, or any other beer for that matter. It’s closer to a distilled beverage than your average beer, and makes no bones about it.

Update:
The second time I tried this I liked it a whole lot more. I have updated the scores to reflect that. This time I rather enjoyed the zingingly spicy hops and the searing alcohol burn. And the sweetness didn't bother me as much as I had remembered. Probably a case of knowing what to expect before opening the bottle. A shockingly different beer for certain .

rajendra82, Sep 06, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Wow. This is one hell of a beer. The first thing that struck me was the huge hops aroma. I took my first sip and was struck with how sweet this brew is. The next thing i noticed, or rather didn't notice was the alcohol. This changed as the beer warmed it brought out the estery flavors of the alcohol and it became even sweeter, if that's possible. The flavor was wonderful. It was like drinking sweetened hop juice. The mouthfeel was very syrup-like. The drinkability suffered greatly because of how sweet this beer was.

I struggled to finish this beer, even though i enjoyed it immensly. My first mistake was trying to drink the entire twelve ounces in one sitting. My second mistake was trying to drink the entire thing alone. I will be buying more of this, but next time I think i will be sharing it.

shadow7, Sep 05, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Nice amber color, with rather little head that fades very quickly, but as I swirl to get more aroma the head comes back and stays. Beautiful lacing and very small bubbles that stay, the second time around. Smells surprisingly sweet (I was expecting pure hops); some fruit, flowers definitely (floral hops), grapefruit (citrus hops). Quite sweet. Mouthfeel is very smooth and coats the mouth in a syrupy effect; medium to full bodied. Tastes quite sweet; again, syrupy. I am quite surprised by this because as an imperial IPA I expected overwhelming dominating hops, but this is not the case. It is very sweet, smooth and drinkable. Perhaps the alcohol will hurt drinkability in greater quantities but I shared a 12 oz bottle with 3 coworkers. Finish is long, syrupy sweet. If anything hurts drinkability the most for me it is the sweetness.

texashammer, Sep 03, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Bottled in 2004, Sampled August 2004
Pours a brilliantly clear, bright copper color. A wispy head forms, but then quickly disappears. Surprisingly it has a medium level of carbonation, which I was not expecting in a beer of this alcohol content. The aroma is of apricot, hops and some brandy-like alcoholic notes. There is almost a smell of candied hops here.

The beer is thick and sweet, yet somewhat light and not nearly as alcoholic tasting as I expected. A fair amount of hop flavor manifests itself as apricot, tangerine, pine, wildflower fields, and a bit of bitterness in the finish. This beer is much more enjoyable than I was expecting from such a beast. It certainly could use a bunch more hop flavor (especially given the billing). In the end though the hot alcohol wins out, and is a bit too much. This is good in a 2 to 4 oz samples, anything else is just too much.

Gueuzedude, Sep 02, 2004
4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

Serving type: 12oz bottle served in a snifter.

Appearance: Hazy golden brown, virtually no head. Lethargic bubbles struggle to reach the surface. This could be dangerous.

Smell: Fresh hops, fruity, floral, sweet, sweet malts.

Taste: Candy sweet. I think I'll need to brush and floss after this one.Offensive hoppy kick. Zing! The high alcohol content isn't noticeable until it makes it's way into your digestive tract. Mommy!!?!?!?

Mouthfeel: Huge body, thick syrupy mouthfeel.

Drinkability/Overall: Needless to say, drink this beast in moderation. Quite an outstanding specimen. This is definately one for the cellar. Wow!

noclue, Sep 01, 2004
2.2/5  rDev -46.2%

OK, let's start with the good things about this beer. The lacing and head were of acaliber that EVERY beer should aspire to obtain. The head was creamy and had a nice flavor, although it's gone now and I didn't write down anything specific that I tasted. The lacing stuck around until I washed out the glass. And that concludes my paragraph on the positive qualities of this beer...

...on to the negatives. For one, this beer is sickeningly sweet. I expected a load of full frontal hoppity and instead got corn syrup in my glass. To be honest, this beer hurts my tastebuds so much that I don't even detect any hops at all. 120 Minute even smells too sweet, and that's saying a lot coming from someone who'll try just about any spiced beer, stout, or "alcopop" (in the right situation) -- all sweet beverages. For another, this beer is extremely alcoholic, and I was beginning to feel it after only about 3 ounces. That's a feature of mixed drinks which I enjoy, but beers should cut me some slack in the drunkenness department.

All in all, I will never buy this beer again, and if I hadn't paid $10 for the bottle, I would have dumped it out.

AndIWantYou, Aug 31, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

ok here we go, my first review. and what a beer to start with! heard lots of good things about this one so i thought i'd see if it lives up to all the hype. definately impressed. pours very smooth, appears a dark amber color. smells very strong and hoppy (duh). loving the taste... i can definately pick up on the high ABV (20%), but in a very good way, not bitter. it feels warm going down in the throat all the way down to the beer belly. excellent. tastes as smooth as it looks, almost sweet tasting/feeling in the mouth, don't notice a lot of carbonation. drinkabilty... well, if it weren't $8.99 a bottle i'd drink it all the time, as it packs quite a punch, but it's a bit intense for an everyday beer. a great treat every once in a while (or more). definately pumped about this beer, everyone should treat themsleves to this one. cheers.

twelvsies, Aug 30, 2004
4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

750ml bottle: I've been saving this one and finally decided to give it a try. It pours into the glass a fairly clear, orande tinted dark golden color. There wasn't much head to it at all. The aroma is strangely both strong and subdued. Very aromatic floral hops to the nose. Some sweetness in there also. The taste is potent. You know that it is strong, but alcohol is hidden in the other flavors. Malty, hoppy, sweet, suprisingly not too bitter, very complex. Excellent.

Boto, Aug 22, 2004

Paid $6.50 for a 12 oz. bottle.

I hung onto this for quite a while before drinking it. I should have held on longer. Smells very nice, hoppy and sweet. Tastes very very sweet, nearly sugary. Probably could have aged 2 years or more. Looks pretty, not much head to it. Heavy alcohol, but not as heavy as you'd expect. This is a decent beer to share with your friends and enjoy the novelty, but not for much else. Hopefully I'll come across another some day and I can store it for a long time.

Thanks to babyhobbes for giving the bottle to me.

benmiliron, Aug 17, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

been hanging onto this for a while, i bought it a year ago this month.
rich copper in color like the 90 min with a thinner head than it's cousin. alot of sweet malt smells coming of this beer. brown sugar aromas are present as well. it has an herbal hoppiness too, but it's surprisingly weak. you can smell the 20% abv too. the taste is not what you expect from it at all, there are some very strange flavors that i'm not sure i can describe, and definitely haven't tasted in a beer before. caramel and thick molasses with pear seem to be the dominant sweet side of this. the hops are present with citrusy, grassy herbal and earthy qualities, but not at all as strong or dominant as i thought. there are some spicy almost cinnamon like qualities to it as well. the alcohol is present throughout. this is a very unique beer. it's like DFH went so over the top with this double (triple?) IPA that it became a different creature all together. the body is pretty syrupy and delicately carbonated. i could do with with it being a little lighter. drinkablity is not going to be too high, because first it's like drinking maple syrup, and second an entire bottle is a session in itself. this was pretty good, i'm definitely intrigued.

kmo1030, Aug 12, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA - 2003.

I shared this beer with a good friend recently. We paid $8.99 for it, which seems to be about the going price for this Double IPA at most beer stores. I had my 6 oz sample out of the bottle and served in a wide mouth wine glass. The beer was cold when we bought it, but we let it sit for about 15 minutes to let this warm up a little.

The appearance was a copperish brown. Very minimal head on top. Really nice sticking lacings on the sides.

The smell was malty, fruity and a faint wiff of esters.

This was one complex beer and very difficult to compare to anything else I have tried. The taste has a malt sweetness, classic DFH hops intensity and an apricot/grapefruit/apple blend. It was hoppy, but not as hoppy as I was expecting it would have been. This is well balanced and a very strong beer. I noticed a slight carbination of bubbles that prickle your tongue. We sipped this one and talked about it as we went along. This will warm you up quickly and probably would be great by a fire in the middle of winter.

The idea that this brew is 20% ABV is incredible. I was very surprised at how good the drinkability level is on the beer. Remember, it's all relative and for a 20% monster, this is smooth in comparison to other beers that are somewhat close in strength.

I am really glad that I finally sampled this beer after contemplating buying this on the shelves of some package stores. It was nice splitting this with a friend who had an equal appreciation for what this beer is all about.

Hibernator, Aug 09, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Beer is a transparent copper color. The head was nice and thick on the pour, dropping down as I let the beer sit. The smell is malt accented with hops. I've been waiting to taste this one for a while now as part of my collection to share with my best friend when he came to visit. Here goes. Not what I expected. The hops are hidden behind a syrupy sweet malt character, but that's what you get when the beer is going upwards of 20%ABV. I'm slightly disappointed. The beer is very syrupy and thick to drink. There is almost no carbonation evident. I'm splitting this one with my buddy, and I imagine that we will take a good hour to enjoy our halves. I'm glad to have tried this beer, but I don't think I would seek it out again for a while.

kmpitz2, Jul 28, 2004
3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

Presentation - 12 oz. bottle making some pretty lofty claims such as "the holy grail for hopheads" - I hope it delivers. Here we go.

Appearance - mostly transparent copper color with a tight white head, very tight indeed. Pretty nice.

Smell - lots of hops obviously, suprisingly little to no alcohol aroma at first, though once it got closer to the nose, alcohol became more apparent. What is there is a decent spicy corrolary to the hops. Also noticed a pretty fruity, grapey aroma as well.

Mouthfeel - suprisingly light bodied, more robust than most IPA's for sure, but not spectacularly so. Slick sweet sort of feel as the beer went on.

Taste - whoa! I has a lot of expectations for this beer, but was still taken aback by its overpowering aroma right as it enters your nose and then the palate dessimating flavor right as it goes in the mouth. Starts with a light carbonation bite and then some sweet malty/fruity taste at the front that gives way a powerful aromatic hop kick which lingers. I didn't find this really bitter at all to be honest, less so than the 60-minute version, but maybe some of the other hop flavors were so overwhelming I couldn't tell. Goes down with some fruity flavors, want to say grape, kind of reminiscient of their Raison D'etre. Alcohol flavor present as well, but not what one would expect for 20% abv, and leaves a warming burn in the throat. Interesting spiciness that hit towards the end, especially as I got farther along in the bottle and it warmed up some. Leaves a refreshingly candy sweet feel on the lips with a fragrant, slick sweet, fruity, hoppy character all over the mouth. Couples a too alcoholic taste with a semi-cloying sweetness that I wished would have smacked me with a bitter resonance.

Drinkability - Had to sip this one the whole way and was well on my way to being drunk by the end. Couldn't possibly drink two bottles in a row, but I'll give it some credit, since there is no other 20% abv beer/wine/liquor that I have tried which could keep me satisfied for over 12 oz.

This beer tore my palate a new one, so to speak. I could use a DFH 60-minute just to rinse my mouth out after this. Won't be having another right away, but definitely want to drink it again in the future. Very hard to rate this one because 1) it's not to style, but that is not really a downfall; 2) it's very interesting, but flawed; and 3) I want to give them credit for their effort and experimentation but have to be honest that this beer didn't win me over. Try it, but go back to the 60-minute for most occasions.

dmbfrat420beers, Jul 26, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

I've had this stashed away for almost 6 months now. I had a hard long day at work so i figured this was as good a time as any to break it out. Rich colour, boardering on amber. Powerful smell, very sweet. This was to be one of the sweetest tasting beers i've ever had. Where's the bitterness? Hop flavor is relaxed, but i was expecting alot more. Seems like any kind of depth in flavor is killed by the alcohol. I can't say I'm not enjoying this beer, because I am. Just underwhelmed. I do very much enjoy the thickness of this beer. IPA? doesn't taste like any ipa i've ever had.
Hell, bring on another!

MrNuggets, Jul 24, 2004
3.1/5  rDev -24.2%

The pour was a medium copper red with a half finger of head that quickly dissapated to a light white ring around the edges of the beer, this hung on throughout the glass.

The smell was heavy in malt sweetness, with just a hint of apricot or date. Also hidden in the back of the nose was a hint of alcohol.

The drink hits hard with sweet malt right up front the middle is hop bite, no, a hop oil that coats the tongue. The finish is nothing but alcohol heat.

I'm glad I finally got my hands on this one. I really think this is a good sipping beer. It's not refreshing, nor would it go good with food. Still I think I'll get another bottle and put it up for five or eight years just to see what age does to this one. I really don't see why they call it an IPA, it's more of a barley wine in my opinion.

If you're looking for hops, like the 60 or 90 min. don't look here. The alcohol and malt hide the hops, but ask me again in a few years and maybe I'll change my review.

coasterfreak75, Jul 19, 2004