120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,153 | Hads: 7,596
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: A nice golden color with a short white head, leaves good lacing

Smell: Pungent resinous hops, along with strong maltiness

Taste: Strong resiny hops, malty sweetness, some alcohol bite, and a sharp bitterness

Feel: Full body, good carbonation

Overall: Well this is one hell of an impressive brew. It's evident it is strong, but not that it is as strong as it is. Full of flavor, this one is a sipper for sure. This bottle is fairly fresh, less than three months old. It looses points for the lack of balance, but I imagine that is hard to get with something like this. I'm debating on whether or not I should pick up another to cellar, as I feel like this is more of a barleywine than an IPA, and everyone seems to love to cellar it.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottled 7-2-13 - served @ 50deg F

A - Light amber with porous white head

S - Sweet honey - hops - alcohol

T/M - Sweetness up front followed by sour/spicy hops and alcohol heat lingering at the finish

O - Glad I took the advice of a fellow advocate and gave this some time in the cellar. It seems pretty mellow and smooth for such high ABV. Not sure how this isn't considered a barley wine... but it's pretty tasty no matter the style. Prost!

All beers should strive to be this delicious. From beginning to end is a non stop pleasure. My only negative is that I can only get one at a time no matter how hard I look. I'm not sure how the bros only gave it a 95. My top beers are all 100 by the bros except this one which I give a solid 100.

3.54/5  rDev -10.6%

Tried this beer randomly, was 11$ for a single 12 oz. bottle. When I opened it it smelled so good, the fruits instantly hit my nose. The taste was okay too, however the feel was horrible. It didn't go down well at all, most likely due to the 18-20% alcohol content. I tried to split it with my girlfriend at the time because I couldn't just commit alcohol abuse, we ended up drinking most of it together and I poured out the last 1/8th of it, which by then I was feeling pretty buzzed. The notes on this beer are very strong, but so is the alcohol. If im not mistaken I tried the 60 minute too and it tasted and felt the same just with less alcohol. Would probably never buy again but it was definitely worth the try.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 2/17/14. Deep amber and sediment laden with off white pour. Licorice and alcohol fumes with caramel - spicy fruit as it warms. First sip tastes like cotton candy dissolved in rubbing alcohol. Hot alcohol exhale. Spicy apricot with caramel middle. Hoppy candy finish. Intense heavy alcohol laden mouthfeel. Big flavors, rich sherry like linger - very few beers compete at this level.

3.09/5  rDev -22%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

About a 3 month old bottle poured into a Dogfish snifter.

Looks beautiful. A deep, ruby orange with an off white head. Looks like a Founder's Old Curmudgeon, except you are not going to see through this one.

Aroma. This is where all of the good things I mentioned above go to die. It smells pretty awful. Almost all alcohol and a musty, sour grape. Actually, it smells a bit like gin now that I think about it.

Taste is better, but not by much. Harsh is the best way I can describe it. Boozy right off the bat with the alcohol coming off the top ropes with a flying elbow to the tongue. Then some hops that also hang around in the form of a terrible, and bitter aftertaste. There is also that musty, stale flavor. Somewhere in there I noticed some sweetness in the form of candied sugars and caramel malts. I actually bumped it some as it improved a bit as it warmed.

Feel is ok considering the alcohol content.

I realize that this is going to be a "boozy" beer, and my rdev is going to be off the charts here. Even World Wide Stout couldnt mask all of the alcohol. However, I am just not liking the flavors and I don't think they are well integrated. They are all over the place. This just seems like a mess. It reminds me a lot of Double Crooked Tree (which I didn't care for either) for reference, or a Molotove Cocktail on the more positive side. It is definitely along the American Barleywine lines more so than an Imperial IPA. I would be open to trying one with some age on it. It cant really be worse for me.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Undated (but presumably quite fresh) bottle split with a friend. (A split is probably a really good idea at this ABV. This is a really potent brew.) However, after 6 oz I was regretting sharing it. It was THAT GOOD.
Appearance is nothing special. Medium gold; tenacious white head; carbonation is spot on.
Taste: oh, my. Malty, sweet caramel, some hops bitterness but VERY subdued.
Smooth and extremely easy to drink. Syrupy, almost. The alcohol is there but it's so nicely integrated that you just go with it. Had a 21st Amendment Hop Crisis (one of my all-time favorite DIPAs) immediately following and it tasted thin and flavorless.
Keep telling yourself "sip it, sip it" - but it's SO good. Again, it's probably best that I split a bottle.
At ten bucks a pop and 18%, this would not be a regular indulgence. However, if you get a chance to try it (and don't have to drive), it's highly recommended.
I have a second bottle that's going in the cellar for a year or two. There aren't many rough edges on this brew, and it's an IPA (and therefore best if it's fresh?), but the bottle does say that it ages well so I gotta see.

4.31/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Alcohol fiendishly well hidden (in a good way). Molotav Cocktail without the extreme pine flavor and bitterness. A dangerously drinkable beer for the high abv. Bottle aged in my cellar 1.5 years.

People expecting an IPA are sorely disappointed with this beer. "120 Minute Barleywine" would be more descriptive. At over 19% ABV, this "beer" packs a punch. Although this was my first time trying it and because I knew what to expect, I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. It's boozy, it's sweet and it aromatic. A solid sipper for sure.

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2013 vintage, aged at 68 degrees in zero light. Bottle 3 of 2013 batch enjoyed 3/22/15. After two years this batch is finally starting to mellow out. The first bottle was tasted in 2013 and comparable to nitromethane race fuel. The second bottle, aged one year, was tolerable but still very Boozy. Today I enjoyed the third bottle of 2013 dfh 120 and found it much more pleasant, in fact, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very hoppy, foamy white head, still slightly boozy in taste, but at this point no more so than your average imperial ipa. 100% improved from one year ago. Will update next year with bottle number 4 of 2013, and later this year for bottle 2 of 2014.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5oz draft pour into a snifter. I was surprised by the initial foamy white head, but it quickly diminished, as did the lacing as I went. Very drinkable for 18%, but a bit of a mediciny booziness. Worth a try, but at $1 an ounce, not the best bang for the buck in the double/triple ipa category.

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried this on tap at Whole Foods. Wow, very well balanced, amazing aroma. Very strong brew, one glass will do. Eveything about this is amazing. Not always available, must get it when it is.

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

High- quality beer but too high octane. Once over 12%... it looses its definition as beer for me. This IPA feels more like a barely wine than an IPA... I think DFH should have quit at the 90- minute... which I would rate much higher. Not worth the premium price for all the other options for solid imperials out there. One-time-buy for me.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This review is for a beer that was aged 4 years. It was excellent for a sipper. I shared with friends and the non-beer drinkers also enjoyed. While still a little boozy, it still smelled and tasted fantastic.

5's all around on this one. Incredibly high ABV without tasting like booze. Crisp clean and refreshing. Be careful with this one because it is very drinkable with 18% alchohol

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I personally think this beer is best at under a year old. I understand how well it can age with ~18% alcohol, but with it being an IPA, and me being a bit of a hophead from time to time, I think the Hops cut the alcohol beautifully right out of the gates. I have had one fresh and one just over three years old, and I personally like it better fresh.

4.67/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Its was more or less Hop Liquor at this fucking point. I drank 9 ounces on an empty stomach and o boy...Great beer. Great experience. A bit of a let down? I expected 5 out of 5.

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle during a bottle share. I only got about 3 ozs and poured into a pilsner glass. Poured a burnt orange, amber color with a thin head that quickly disappeared. Aromas of booze, booze and more booze with some malt and hops lying beneath. Little scared what it might taste like. Turned out to be pleasantly surprised. Yes lots of booze with a little burn on the finish but a nice mix of malts, hops with fruit. Caramelized sugars are in there as well. Sweet taste that lingers on the aftertaste along with hops and booze. Leaves a tangy taste in the mouth. More West Coast IPA than East Coast pine tree. Still sucks the spit out of your mouth like all IPAs. But less than most. However, I am guessing a full glass would dry you out due to the alcoholic content. Probably the perfect beer for outdoor hockey season on a cold day or night. However, I sure as heck wouldn't be driving and drinking more than 1 of these beers.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this one before on the fly but wanted to take a better look since coming here to BA.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tall tulip glass. Hazy golden amber with thin head and light lacing. Incredibly tiny bubbles but a good amount of them.

Smells of sweetened medium roast malts, cirtusy apricots, brown sugar, and even a little bit of cocoa. WOW this has a lot of things going on. It's difficult even putting a finger on some of the smells since I will type and put it up to my nose and find different things about it. Really complex and not nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be, but in no way is that a bad thing.

Overall an amazing beer and well worth the $13 I paid for a 12oz bottle.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light brown with thin white head which quickly dissapears. Definetly get a strong scent of alcohol. Tastes of fruit, hops, slight orange tint. The alcohol is fairly present and noticeable on the back end. The strongest beer I have had to date. Is enjoyable but do prefer 90 minute out of the 3 main offerings in the series.

If I was stranded on an island and I could only bring an endless supply of one type of beer with me, this would be the one. I do believe this is the greatest beer I've ever drank in my life. The flavor is awesome and the feeling I get from one is generally clean and positive. I think that sounds strange, but I believe it to be true. Every time I drink this beer I feel happy, whereas with some other beers (not all, of course) it can be quite the opposite.

I wish this beer was a person so I could be good friends with it.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L- Very Attractive burnt orange, amber color. Thin quickly dissipating head

S- Boozy, tingling nose, nice malt and hop balance. Booze kind of overpowers most scent traces.

T- Surprisingly mellow in terms of booze, but still has a distinct burn and alcohol finish. Hops start mostly in the middle and stick through to the finish. Dominated by hops and caramel but still very balanced. Fruit flavors come forward as the beer warms and you sip (and boy is this beer a sipper). A sweetness lingers towards the end from the alcohol that works with the fruity tastes. The "fruit" aspect seems to lack a citrus/tangy flavor that I tend to like in IIPAs, but still a great flavor profile.

F- Chewy mouthfeel. Sticks to the back of your tongue and makes you salivate, which prevents the alcohol and hops from drying out your mouth.

Overall- An easy decision every year to grab. Enjoying this while snowed in and its a perfect late winter beer on a night where you don't need to operate a vehicle or heavy machinery. 90 Minute is still a better IPA in my opinion, but this is a nice and decadent and rich flavored beer to treat yourself with when you can.

4.78/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Knocked me on my ass. This is the purple drank of beers.

I can't do a fair review until I get the opportunity to have another one, but it was the best beer I've ever had. The distribution range is pretty limited, unfortunately. The 60-minute is also incredible if you can't spring for the alcohol content. But you can. I mean, come on.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Came across a couple bottles and snatched them up. I cracked one open and decided to age the others. Definitely in your face with the heat but I really enjoyed it. Can't drink these that often but a nice treat once in a while.

4.95/5  rDev +25%

This beer lives up to its reputation. The taste was surprisingly more mild then I expected a high content beer like this to be. If you can find it grab it immediately.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery