1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Reviews: 1936

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,241 | Reviews: 1,936 | Show All Ratings:
lostbearbrew

Georgia

2.42/5  rDev -40.4%

Single bottle 12 oz – 2004. From bottle shop in Boston. Served cold, at about 58 degrees.

Pours a light golden with hints of amber. Looks like a fairly average beer in it’s body – not like most other DIPA’s I’ve made or tasted. Decent lacing, small head.

Good strong smell of hops in the nose, but overpowering all else is the waft of alcohol. Wow! Yes, it is 20%, and yes, you can sense it coming. Very unlike the WWS, which I thought hid the abv well in both the nose and the taste.

Ok, the taste – if this were meant to be a barleywine or a brandy, I’d give it higher marks. I felt like I was drinking grain alcohol mixed with beer. Syrup texture belies the look of the beer, and the sweet residual taste brings much more alcohol (yes, MORE) but not much of a hops finish. Disappointing in that regard. As it warmed, more flavors became apparent - took me 2.5 hours to finish this 12 oz beer - and there was a nuance or two that came forward but nothing that made me think it was better 2.5 hours later.

I do not think I would purchase another bottle at this price point. I do especially like the 90 min IPA, but find the 60 and the 120 lacking in different respects. For me DFH is very hit and miss for my palate.

07-11-2005 18:05:22 | More by lostbearbrew
Yesac

Georgia

2.42/5  rDev -40.4%

bottled on 4/17/08.

A - Pours cloudy amber. Thin head that stays on top. Great lacing.

S - Smell is peaches/pears and alcohol. Where are the hops?

T - is like the smell.. strong peach/pear and alcohol.

M - crisp, slightly sticky and carbonated

D - ha, there is no way I'd drink two of these with the strong alcohol taste and a ABV of 21%.

I was expecting more from DFH and the ultimate hoppy beer.

07-14-2008 00:50:02 | More by Yesac
scottum

Vermont

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

That's a strong brew! Hazy orange amber with a big white head. The 21% is apparent in taste and quick buzz. Hops are big enough to cover most of the strong alcohol flavor. This beer is still young so there is hope yet. Right now, this beer is just too big for itself. Not as good as the 60 and 90 minute versions. bleh

04-06-2003 14:09:22 | More by scottum
Naerhu

Japan

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

Brandy color body with a thin white head and whispy lace.
Bold malty aroma jumped out with resin and earth aroma.
Old fruit, hugely alcohol and sweet bread flavor.citrusy.
Ice wine like heaviness. IMHO This is not a beer but a whiskey. Way too much alcohol hotness.

I loved the 90 minute, but this 120 is only a novelty. It does not make it all the way as a stand alone good beer.

12-13-2003 09:01:14 | More by Naerhu
Kobangus

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

A. Nice amber color, cloudy when poured cold, honey-like color when warmed up a bit, no longer cloudy. No noticeable head. Little carbonation.

S. Rubbing Alcohol. Very little hop aroma. Honey.

T. Alcohol, very sweet- and I mean very! Hops? Barely getting through the alcohol and honey taste. Way too sweet to be considered an IPA in my opinion- more like a barley wine.

M. Warm, sticky, thin

D. This was one of the hardest beers for me to drink. The alcohol and sweetness are just too overpowering. I feel like I'm fighting to get to the bottom of the glass.

Wow! This beer packs one hell of a punch! 21% abv is just ridiculous to me. I think 9% is pushing it. I appreciate the fact that beers with this kind of abv are actually made but I think that's what straight liquor is for.

This is supposed to be the holy grail for hopheads- I don't agree. More like the holy grail for alcoholics! I'd rather have a DFH 60 Min IPA.

(p.s. I tried a Duck Rabbit 2008 Barley Wine just the other day that was hoppier than this.)

01-12-2009 19:07:27 | More by Kobangus
ArrogantDeadGuy

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

A: Hazy straw hues with a good sturdy white
head. Lazy carbonation.

S: No real hop nose with a dominant alcohol
aroma.

T: Boozy! This was a keg from 2007 (2yrs. old)
The storage caused the loss of nearly all
hop character and made the beer entirely too
sweet. The ABV was dominant and allowed
little else to come through less the sugars.

M/D: Smooth and crisp with plenty of body and
smoothness. Unfortunately the ABV and
lack of hoppiness makes this a less than
desireable aged brew.

08-03-2009 18:22:01 | More by ArrogantDeadGuy
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

Shocked to see this on tap at Pizza Plant in Buffalo!

Rich orange pour with a off-white head that died to a film and left a few lace spots on the glass. Looks more or less as you would expect for a high octane brew. The nose is odd... somewhat earthy, with brown sugar, alcohol and pine. Its not a turn-off, but certainly not as attractive as a regular strength imperial IPA, which has got me worried about the flavour...

I have right too be concerned. Weird earthy flavour mixing in with solvents, sweet, sweet malt, pine and citrus. Its weird ( I knew it would be), but its far weirder than I ever imagined. The hop bitterness is actually fairly low, and probably more on par with the 60 minute, if not lesser. Perhaps part of this is because the beer carries a large residual sweetness that deadens everything else. Well... almost everything else... The alcohol is huge, and its not hidden particularly well. You can taste it clearly in the flavour, and feel it as it heads down to your stomach. Other than that, there's definitely some rich sherry notes that add some depth, but I'm struggling to look past the parts I'm not digging. Fairly heavy mouthfeel is somewhat alleviated by a moderate carbonation.

I like how Dogfish Head push the boundaries and refuse to be constrained by anything, but this beer is a huge miss for me. The alcohol is too apparent, the hops don't shine as they should for a big imperial IPA, and everything is just too muddled and unbalanced. Add to that, its not the best beer to pair with pizza!

01-18-2010 19:07:31 | More by bobsy
cosmicevan

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Ommegang tulip.

A - Poured a hazy orange with lively carbonation and a thin foamy head that vanished rather quickly. Carbonation was even and consistent, like champagne.

S - Orange, hops, sugar, molases...relatively balanced and the alcohol seems a bit hidden. I expected this to be only hops I'm pleasantly surprised at the even blend.

T - Hoppy sludge. Very sweet and leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth and look on my face. The alcohol is way more upfront in the taste than the nose. Very different tasting beer...not much like beer, kind of like a barleywine or dessert wine.

M - Not a huge fan of this one. Too sweet and overly hoppy for my mouth. Leaves a grimace on my face after each sip.

D - The high alcohol content and extreme sweetness make this one I don't plan to pick up again. If you are a hophead, you'll probably really dig this beer, but this one is not for the faint of heart.

02-13-2010 03:38:51 | More by cosmicevan
ghostee

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my unibroue tulip glass. Pours a caramelly brown color with a smaller off-white head that recedes quickly.

Smell is very sweet, slightly boozy, with a decent amount of hops.

Taste is very strong. Starts off sweet. A hint of hop bitterness follows that fades away quickly as it's overcome by the sweetness returning, along with a good dose of booziness. There are fruit tastes in the background, and the sweetness is VERY powerful.

Mouthfeel is thick, slick, and very low carbonation. Very syrupy.

Drinkability is low. The taste is very powerful, as is the ABV, so one bottle is more than enough. Would be a perfect bottle to split between 2 or 3 people.

I was really looking forward to this, after loving 60 and 90 minute IPA so much. This is not was I was expecting at all. This is nothing like those beers. I expected a stronger taste, but the hop character I loved in 60 and 90 is not present. This feels more like drinking a liquor than a DIPA.

06-05-2010 22:51:15 | More by ghostee
Cavery

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

from Blue Palms 3rd Anniversary Party, off a tap that kicked before the end of the hour. I was super excited to get a chance to try this fresh, thank you Blue Palms for the opportunity.

Review from notes, dated 8/13/11

A: Pure orange nectar body with some give towards golden yellows. This actually has a fairly rustic body, or at the very least is much darker than I expected it to be. Looks like an atomic malt bomb. Only slightly lighter than you'd expect a barleywine to be. Given that this is an IPA, it's disappointing to see no head retention or lacing.

S: Oh my god. Tamarind infused tequila. Ripe fruit skins of banana and kiwi. So sweet it makes me nervous. Diabetic coma in the nose. Cane sugar concentrates that are being sweated down to the last molecule. All sweetness finds a cough syrup like theme.

T: This thing really tastes like a nightmarish mixer. Hard sweet rum alcohol with a thick honey glazing of everlasting sweetness. Some deep grape nut malt flavors that might be manageable if it weren't for the compounding sweetness. I feel like I should be able to chew down the sugar crystals in this thing, good god I think I need do some blood letting. Really rough alcohol character that makes it seem like a far-cry from ANY beer style, let alone any form of IPA.

M: Medium full body that has some added weight of being like cough medicine. Painful potent alcohol coatings that create a protective layer preventing any other penetrating flavors. It leaves the mouth thick and slick, but also very flammable.

O: Needless to say, this thing is just too intense on the sweetness. I absolutely can't believe that some like this fresh. This kills the palate with some thick sugar crystals and bigger alcohols. Sweet potato fermented vodkas find an evil twin in tamarind infused tequilas. I can't even finish my overall review... passing...out...2....sweet..

08-16-2011 23:32:31 | More by Cavery
harrymel

Washington

Bottled Sep 2011

Well, tried this side by side with an '09 of the same time frame. They both poured crystal clearly amber with a finger of off white foam which fell quickly to an extreme clarity. Old smelled sweet. New smelled vegetal. Old tasted sweet. New tasted sweet and astringent with a weird soured grape and acetone flavor. Both were appropriately carbed with a thin, syrupy feel. Both were a disappointment.

11-12-2011 07:10:11 | More by harrymel
BHopp12

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass
bottle date 2007

A: clear amber color, just looks like pure booze!

S: strong alcohol with a strong malt backbone and a little hops

T: Tasted nothing but alcohol, like taking a shot of a very strong vodka mixed with malt.

M: low carbonation, small hint of bitterness, pure burn from the alcohol

O: Not a big fan of the aged 120. Need to try one fresh as I have heard there is more taste to a fresh one. This one tasted like pure alcohol

02-01-2012 18:17:28 | More by BHopp12
joshuadlight

2.38/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

DFH is probably aware that you can't make a beer like this and have unanimous positive reviews.
After it poured a nice orangish copper color with minimal head (a warning of the intensely high abv), everything went downhill from there.
Instead of a combination of malt and hop characteristics, this thing is huge interweaving of confectionary sweetness and heavy alcohol fumes. Both cloying and burning, the syrupy texture was almost sickening in my opinion.
I only drank maybe 2 ounces of the 12 ounce bottle before offering it around to anyone who might like a try before ultimately getting rid of it. Huge waste of 10 bucks.
Try it if you must, there isn't anything else out there like it, but its such a stretch of any preconceived boundary that I could not enjoy it.

10-08-2009 14:06:41 | More by joshuadlight
mverity

2.36/5  rDev -41.9%

Bottle from 11-26-08. Poured a deep orange with some whitish head. Very little lacing. Aroma was mostly boozey nail polish. Taste was about the same; really boozey, some citrus, some vanilla, some medium malt sweetness. Ended up drain pouring this. Sad, because this beer is great fresh, and great with 2-3 years on it. I'll be cracking the rest of my old bottles soon to see how they're holding up.

11-04-2013 18:03:19 | More by mverity
scooter231

2.35/5  rDev -42.1%

This is certainly the strongest beer I've had so far. And, as chance would have it, not my most favorite of beers.

It pours a pretty light orangeish color with some white frothy head, very appealing looking. But looks can be deceiving. It smelled... slightly fruity, but mostly more of a vinegar smell- not the most appetizing combination.

The taste... rubbing alcohol comes to mind. Some fruityness prevails but mostly it's just not a wonderful tasting thing. Mouthfeel is okay, nothing special. Drinkabilty... well, I had half a bottle, and that was half a bottle too much. Sure, this will send you from sober to drunken haze pretty quickly, but personally, I'd rather enjoy what I'm drinking if intoxication is my goal.

It's worth trying, if only to say you've sampled all ends of the beer chain, but I can't see myself trying this again any time soon.

06-17-2005 02:40:39 | More by scooter231
NJpadreFan

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

12 0z bottle. cost me $8.65

Appearance- copper brown with a thin white head.
Smell- sweet. Cherries with some mild pine hops. Was hoping for strong bitter hops but no!
Taste- sickeningly sweet cherry cough syrup. Aftertaste has a slight bitter hop flavor but is overpowered by the high alcohol.
Mouthfeel- sugary sweet but otherwise soothing like a robitussin is!

Overall- a huge disappointment. Too sugary, too sweet. I am not a fan of sugary fruit beer. This beer is comparible to Samiclaus. Bleeech. I wish I could get my money back.

10-23-2005 23:48:36 | More by NJpadreFan
shbobdb

Indiana

2.35/5  rDev -42.1%

Now, I was really excited to try this beer. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and their 90 minute IPA is AMAZING. This beer, however, does not live up to its little brother.
I found the taste to be overly vineous and sweet. Correction: cloyingly sweet. Don't get me wrong, I like malty beers, but this 'beer' reminded me of a very sweet blush wine. Dry-hopped? More like dry-humped.
That isn't to say it's all bad. I was completely unaware as to the alcohol content while drinking this beer. Except near the end when it was pretty warm, I never noticed any alcohol bite.
In short, I wouldn't buy this beer again if it were four dollar a bottle, let alone fifteen. No doubt, technically this is a well built beer, but that doesn't mean it tastes good.

11-03-2005 17:31:55 | More by shbobdb
deltatauhobbit

Maine

2.35/5  rDev -42.1%

Has a very, VERY strong hop taste and smell. An IPA is meant to be hoppy, but this beer brings it to the next level. For any hopheads, this is the beer that all IPA's should be judged by, but for the casual IPA drinker, it can be very overwhelming in many aspects, one of which being the ABV.

I find the 60 and 90 Minute by Dogfish Head to be better beers and more accessible.

12-03-2007 02:57:47 | More by deltatauhobbit
GFSchwab

2.35/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well here it is, I fianlly get to taste the covetted 120.

Dark orange hue.

Aroma was purely maltyness, with a faint presence of hops.

The taste had an ethabol bight like none other, and an enourmous presence of dextrins, with very little hop presence.

The body was decent, and had layers of flavors playing off of sherry, and scotch, or a fine brandy. However, this is not what I look for in an IPA.

It was very hard to finish, there was simply too much going on here, I really did not know what to make of it.

I think with the IBU's so much malt was needed, that it became physically impossible to present an true balance, let alone a definite hop presenece.

05-08-2008 17:06:02 | More by GFSchwab
yeastsipper

2.35/5  rDev -42.1%

Well, this is an interesting beer that I have wanted to try for a while. Unfortunately, 'interesting' does not always mean 'good.'

Bottle obtained in a trade with Blazer 06. Cracked open the bottle to share in anticipation of the ball dropping on new years eve.

The 120 pours a light copper color with no head whatsoever. this is not surprising given the alcohol content.

There is a heavy alcohol scent to the beer (again, not surprising) and pine notes from the hops. I do detect some citrus, but not as much as many other IPAs. More than anything, peach notes stand out.

This beer is cloyingly sweet. Again, tons of peach flavor. Unfortunately, it is more of a peach schnapps flavor, very sweet and syrupy, than a subtle peach. I can't get over how sweet the beer is. As I tend to love DIPAs for their bitter hop characteristics, this is frustrating. A sweetness lingers on the tongue and palate. And I mean lingers.

For a beer that is hopped 'continously', why is it so sweet? It is simply too sweet, too syrupy, and too strong.

Did I mention that this beer is really sweet?

I love DFH. Their beers were really the driving force of me becoming a beer lover rather than a beer consumer. And I love the fact that they are pushing the envelope. However, the 120 is more of an experiment - and the results of the experiment are a crazy big beer, but not one that really tastes that good or is particularly enjoyable.

01-05-2009 23:39:28 | More by yeastsipper
Denali

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

On tap at Blind Tiger Ale House in New York City.

Appearance: Looked like apricot juice. No head.

Smell: Strong and very sweet peach and apricot aroma. Could not detect any alcohol in the aroma.

Taste: Extremely sweet peach and apricot flavors. Some hops were also tasted. Could not taste any malt. Just too sweet and not balanced, like it was not fully fermented. Despite its strength, I could not taste any alcohol (probably overpowered by the sweet flavors).

Mouthfeel: Syrupy with light carbonation.

Drinkability: Was way too sweet for me to be able to finish the glass I had.

Comments: I had been looking forward to this beer for months, since I like 90 Minute IPA a lot. However, this was disappointing.
Maybe if they let it age it might help.

04-10-2003 16:36:58 | More by Denali
hopsleeroy

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

I was excited to try this beer and got even more exicted after trying the 60 and 90 minute, but was sorely disappointed in the 120. It pours a copper/amber with little head which would be expected with some white lacing that stuck around while drinking. The smell was a fair amount of the hops(similiar to 60 and 90), but you could smell a medicinal/solvent aroma. The first taste was like a slap in the face! It is so syrupy sweet that I had trouble swallowing and tasting what else the beer had to offer. The hops aroma and bitterness is there as advertised, but the alcohol sweetness overwhelms the entire beer that there is no balance. I let it warm up some, which balanced the beer a little but not enough.

I enjoyed the novelty of trying this beer, but was barely able to finish even half a glass.

11-26-2007 20:42:49 | More by hopsleeroy
walshclimb

Nevada

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

Pours clear red with 3/4" off white head that leavs sparse lace. Somewhat subtle nose that is moderately malty with resinous pine to citrus hops on the grapefruit side of things. Hint of spice and a little sweet smelling. The taste is big, sweet malt with mildly bitter hops with a decent balance that is a sweet and almost medicinal. It transitions to an aftertaste that is sweet and very medicinal. The mouthfeel is full bodied and very syruppy with a soft carbonation and an alcoholic finish. The bottle says "enjoy now or age for a decade or so." The bottled on date was not entirely readable, but appeared to be in 06. My impression is that this is a beer that really needs to age to mellow. The flavor is nearly overpoweringly sweet . Almost like artificial sweetener mixed with cough syrup. I would definitely not buy this again, especially at its very high price. Not sure what everyone sees in this one, and I sort of wonder if I got a bad bottle, but I won't be trying it again to find out. There were no off smells, and it looks good, so I don't think this is the case. I give Dogfish head respect for this attempt. I like big beers, but this is more like a malt wine.

01-09-2008 18:45:20 | More by walshclimb
OWSLEY069

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

Pours a clean orange-ish color with a small white head. In the aroma, well, it smells of nail polish remover. In the taste, dry, pine like hops and alcohol, with notes of nail polish remover. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry alcohol and small hop presence in the aftertaste. It is like nail polish remover/ rubbing alcohol, with a touch of pine hops.

07-03-2012 17:25:51 | More by OWSLEY069
pheurton

2.3/5  rDev -43.3%

pours a very clear orange tan, with a better than expected off-white head, for such a high ABV beer. aroma is sweet surgary alcohol...almost liqour-like. taste is more of the same...overbearingly sweet candied tropical fruits and vanilla. struggling to detect any sense of hoppiness. slick and syrupy mouthfeel. alcohol warms the back of the throat and gut instantly. the cloying sweetness made it difficult to finish the bottle i split with my girlfriend.

is this an ipa? maybe in the loosest sense. an experimental strong ale seems more fitting to me. actually, it just seems like a gimmick.

05-26-2003 15:59:44 | More by pheurton