120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros

JR86, Yesterday at 05:04 PM
4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

vonnerbeer, Yesterday at 02:20 PM
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

jodybrutal, Yesterday at 12:56 PM

Devman171, Monday at 05:42 PM
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Tylertut, Monday at 03:02 PM
4.06/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz into a snifter, about 6mths in the cellar 2014 edition.

L- semi aggressive pour with a nice white 1inch head, reddish orange, appealing.

S- I can smell the malts right off the bat. Not sure what to expect next since this is high ABV, Slight barleywine characteristics, but not hiding the big DIPA that this is.

T- getting malts and hop bitterness nicely blended. Not a juicy hop bomb that the IBU's would indicate, certainly faded with age in comparison to an un-aged prior sample. Mildly resinous on the back fade.

F - The high alcohol is evident but not with any unexpected bite. Reasonably smooth for such a big brew.

O-really impressed with the age impression on this brew. I'd age a little less for more of the hop character to shine through. The age has certainly transformed this beer into a beer that transcends the normal expectations for a DIPA. Somewhere between a 4.0 and 4.25 overall. Cheers.

RogueOz, Monday at 05:10 AM
1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a cognac snifter. It looks hazy orange and its completely opaque.

It smells like nail polish remover that has been seasoned with off hops. It is just terrible. It smells like the orange Old English Wood Soap that I use to mop my floors. This could make paint fall off a shed.

The taste is like some terrible new hop-flavored black rum. I am used to my hop bombs being hop forward, and malts secondary. This is the opposite where the sweetness is front and center and the hops are fighting with it. There is nothing good about the taste of this beer. It tastes like if Admiral Nelson made a port or the type of liquor you use in baking.

The mouthfeel adds to the already less than ideal characteristics, making this beer one of my all time least favorites. I would sooner drink Natural Ice than drink this.

This beer is ambitious and that is all it is. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and I am really glad they are in Bloomington and Indiana on the whole, but this beer frankly is just awful with no redeeming characteristics. I ended up drain pouring it. I have had enough beers like Founders Devil Dancer that I can appreciate an ambitious attempt at making a one-of-a-kind beer, however, this beer is just too much. There is fine line between a pleasant beer, which rather than attacking the palate attempts to work with it, and a beer that fights your palate every step of the way. I wouldn't recommend this beer to my worst enemy.

TCJ0100, Monday at 01:30 AM

Mayo2323, Saturday at 09:11 PM
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Mcq767, Saturday at 07:23 PM
3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

I've really wanted to try this beer for a long time but thought that I would have to travel out of Indiana to get some but little did I know that last week my liquor store in Brownsburg got a few cases! At $10 a pop I only got 2 but I was excited.

A - Deep orange color. Pours thick! Totally opaque from all the hops and malt packed into this beer. Light white head with light lacing.

S - Very strong malt character with lots of alcohol and some raw citrus-type hops. Not any where near the hop smell that I expected. Smells more like a strong barley wine with the malty backbone forcing most of the aromatics.

T - The first sip there are lots of flavors but mostly the rich malt character holds true, then the alcohol "flavor" more than just heat and then the hop resins come with some flavor but mostly just bitterness. The bitterness seems to mask the late addition hops making it feel more like a hop bomb instead of showcasing individual hop flavors. It feels like the alcohol burn sticks to the back of your mouth from the beer's thickness and the hops you can't just exhale the booziness.

M - Super high mouth-feel with lighter carbonation. The thickest IIPA I could ever had even dreamed of; it's basically a 20% American Barley Wine with less of the caramel tones and color.

Overall, a different DIPA experience and not my favorite. I still think that the best way to describe this beer is a super-charged Barley Wine. The alcohol heat burns the hops into your throat. I was disappointed by this beer especially when comparing this to the amazing 90-Minute IPA from DFH which is has tons of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness along with the malt and alcohol but this is the complete opposite. I love hops, bitterness, and straight booze but I think the thickness along with the alcohol burn killed it for me. I will try my other one after a couple other beers to really put me down and hopefully after a few beers the burn won't be so devastating.

Glass- Snifter