120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle dated 02/17/14 poured into pint glass

A: This bad boy just looks intense. Big ruby and orange colors. The colors almost look divided like a density gradient. Odd but cool. Darker ruby towards the bottom. Tons of carbonation. 1 finger head.

S: Well the first thing that hits the nose is alcohol. This is followed up by a big malt backbone, some citrus, very slight grapefruit. I hope the taste is a little less forward on the alcohol.

T: Worries out the door. The beer opens up with a huge hop forwardness. Citrus, papaya, grapefruit, pine. Malt is gigantic and almost overtakes the hops until they fade back in towards the end. The alcohol comes in as the hops start to come back in. Alcohol is not too bad, and this beer is surprisingly very well balanced on the taste front.

M: Pretty heavy for an IIPA, but is to be expected. Almost like a barleywine in mouthfeel. Huge carbonation and nice bitterness rounds out the alcohol.

O: Overall, I am enjoying this beer very much. I purchased one bottle a few months ago to celebrate with after passing my comprehensive exams for my master's degree, and I am very glad I chose this beer. I've always loved DFH IPA's, and had always wanted to try the 120. This beer is extremely well balanced considering how much alcohol is in this beer. Any hop head (and non-hop head alike) would be pleased with a bottle (or two, but I wouldn't recommend in one night) of these.

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%

First impression is this was carbonated Scotch! The booze in this one will knock you down!

Shared a 12 ounce bottle with a friend after pouring in tulip glasses. Both of us had to put it down it was so strong. Let it warm up and breath a little...

It got easier to drink or maybe we were just getting drunk on this one "beer." I am going with the latter.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.81/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Amber or orange in color. Unable to see through clearly. Sticky lacing as the level of beer goes down the glass.

Smell: Hollly cow, citrus. I smell lemon, orange, lime, nothing but citrus. Of course the hops, but I had an over powering scent of citrus.

Taste: Hollly cow, citrus...again. Very powerful citrus taste. I was surprised. Very boozy, and becomes even more boozy as the beer warms. I like boozy. Hoppy, yes, but the booze and citrus flavor are the most potent in this one.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than I expected an IPA to be.

Overall: I'm not a big IPA guy, but Dogfish head makes my favorite IPA's, and they're my go to brewery for IPA's. This is easily my favorite IPA overall.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%