120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,108 | Hads: 7,374
3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottled on 09/07/06.

Pours out a peach and orange hued honey color with a small head that settles to a thin layer of bubbles. A small, slow, single stream of bubbles comes from the center of the glass. When swirled, it leaves scattered spots of "lace." Smells of very strong and sharp hops; with aromas of pine piercing the most, as well as some citrus. Very grassy. Lots of alcohol is picked up, as well, and a general sweetness from the malt. First off in the taste is the hops: mostly citrus as opposed to all the grass and pine I got in the nose. The "greener" hop flavors come out as well, but the citrus is more pronounced. Not much bitterness at all, as this is ridiculously sweet. I get a little toastedness from the malts, but it's more just blaring sweetness. Alcohol comes through as well, but much less than I suspected. I get a slight twang in the finish, which I'm not sure about. There's a lingering vapor like presence of fruit loop-like hops in my mouth post-sip, which I like a lot. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, but, considering that, I am very surprised that the carbonation manages to slightly prick: stopping this from being a mess in the mouth. Drinkability isn't so hot, at first, but once I become more tipsy, it goes down a bit quicker.

Not a great DIPA, but this is really in a different category entirely. And for what it is, it's good, but not stellar. (1,389 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Smells like an orange and a pine tree. Some faint orange colored lacing that chases the beer deeper into the glass. Feels somewhat heavy in the mouth to me. Oily as well. Lots of yeast left in the bottle, as well in the bottom of the glass. Some critus tastes along with pine needles in addition to others that I can't describe. Each drink feels like I've just taken a sip of schnapps. This is a 21-22% ABV beer so that makes sense. Similar to drinking wine.

Honestly, I'd rather have a DFH 90 minute that isn't as high on the ABV. (535 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

This beer is not as good as the 90 minute version. Dont get me wrong it is a nice beer but they went a little over the top even for a hop head like me. The aroma is wonderful flowers and pine very nice. The taste unfortunatly leave the nice bitter bite of its little brother into the taste of pine resin.
If you have never had it give it a try but if you don LOVE hops it is not for you (388 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

Wow !
I had not talked with anyone or read any reviews prior to trying this beer.
I like Imperial IPA's and was wondering why this was about $8 ber bottle.

It comes across to me as more of a Barleywine than Imperial IPA.

Served at cellar temp (60 deg F)
Pours clear golden yellow with thick white head that slowly dissapates.
You can sense the viscosity during the pour.

Smell is alcohol, crisp hops and sweet malt.

The alcohol comes thru first. I did not know what the ABV was until I pulled up the beer to review . . 21% ! ! Wow, its clearly there.
The malt is SWEET and I get a vanilla character to the taste.

The mouthfeel is thick and viscous, you can sense a huge amount of grain boiled into a sweet syrup thickness.

Drinkability - Price and availability make this a difficult beer to consider a regular, but it sure is a treat. I have another to savor for some future day.

IF I consider this a Barleywine instead of an I2PA, I have to say that I like the Immort-Ale by DFH better (especially for desert). (1,037 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

A clear light orange copper blend. White head of inch and a half sunk slowly in glass. Large amount of medium sized carbonation bubbles can be seen rising to the top. Sheets of lace all the way down glass.

A strange blend of aromas. The first smell as a very fruity initial scent. A hops quality is citric. The initial smell ends with a noticable spike of alcohol. Light lemon aroma blends with malt sweetness nicely.

Super sweet malt taste finished with a burn that betrays the alcohol content to an otherwise sweet, fragrent beer. Nice hops bitter on the back of the tongue. A light fruit blend is present, and includes tangering and grapefruit.

A thicker then average body. Very nice carbonation helps the multiple flavors shift on the tongue.

A great offering int he style. Great beer to enjoy with a burger topped with pepper jack cheese. This one is not for the faint of heart. A monster alcohol taste would turn a lot of people away. (953 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +21.7%

Yikes!

This beer is good - damn good. Why start off a review as such? Because as so many have mentioned, this beer is 21%. In fact, there is a good chance you, the reader, know this. You might wonder what such a big beer tastes like, so you have come here. Well, it tastes pretty much like Dogfish Head's other IPA offerings, and there in lies the problem.

The beer has a typical deep gold/amber appearance that good IPAs have and about a finger of head that quickly falls away.

It smells very fruity and floral. Inviting very definitely.

Taste - Very sweet. I actually like it quite a bit. The malt sweetness plays well off of the hops. None of the hop character is lost as it still maintains a bite. I think the apricot description earlier was very apropos.

It has a nice, tingly mouth feel. Very crisp, not heavy, but certainly not watery. It will certainly excite your taste buds.

This beer is WAY too drinkable to be as strong as it is. If you are familiar with Stone IPA or the Dogfish Head 90, expect this to be just as drinkable. You simply have to make an effort to pace yourself.

All in all it was worth the $8 I spent on it. It is a very neat beer, well executed, and I have enjoyed it. Actually, I'm glad it doesn't cost less. If I could afford to purchase several of these I would probably hate myself tomorrow. (1,346 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

Upon opening this bottle the strong odor of alcohol was mask slightly by a fruity, pleasant aroma. I poured it without expecting a head, yet one appeared. I was surprised by its creamy and foggy color.

The robust flavor of hops is present from start to finish. This was an enjoyable beer that I would purchase again. It’s not too often a high concentrate of alcohol (20%) tastes this smooth. A super, nice beer to start the evening with . (442 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

Extremely hazy with a light fluffy head that receded quickly into the glass. There is just a light residue settling to the bottom as I examine the beer. I'm still shocked that there is any head on the beer at all with the amount of alcohol present. The nose is a citrus bomb. Loads of grapefruit, pine, and herbal hop pour from the beer. Mild mandarin orange sweetness on the finish. Sharp grapefruit and mandarin orange sweetness up front, mild caramel notes are dominated by the hop. The finish has mild alcohol heat. It's there, but I can't believe there isn't more. The mouth feel is mildly sticky, still full. Decent drinkability. This is a big, hoppy beer. Not the best drinkability. It's more of an event. (712 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +23%

Appearance: deep , hazy orange / auburn , with a half inch of foam that dissipates quickly to a ring. A fair amount of lacing left on the chalice.

Smell: A multitude of hop aromas assault the senses once you take this wonderful brew to the nose. Citric , piney , oily , green , and a presence of alcohol.

Taste: The hops ride all over your tongue , filling the mouth with an awsome spectacle of what the humulus lupulus is capable of. Mouthfilling , oily , resinous flavors of pine , citrus , slightly floral , earthy(green) , and a bit spicy combined with the warming alcohol. Hop Heaven! As strong as the flavors are , none of them effect the taste in a negitive way.

Mouthfeel: oily , chewy , viscous

Drinkability: For it ABV this beer is remarkably drinkable. The hop flavors are massive and intense , but they do not overwhelm. Any hophead must pay this awsome brew homage. Big thanks to Dogfish Head for crafting such a unique and exellent beer. (963 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally found this, at whole foods of all places, I must give props to kim for getting hold of some. 12 oz was about 9 dollars total with tax, not bad, I heard it was 12 in Colorado. Poured aggressively in a tulip glass, the head was immense, thick and bubbly. Lovely white sticky lacing is every where. The color is a dense musty orange, amber, with darker tones centering about the lower middle. The sent is great, to the best of imperial IPA, lots of hop character balanced well with sweet malt notes. Fruit and sugar all over the place. There is a small hint of Alcohol; it is possible that this sent only occurs to me because apparently this beer’s ABV is 21. I definitely do not smell 21 Abv in this, which makes this a deliciously dangerous beer. Honestly I think they’ve done an excellent job concealing it. I must say that of all the strong beers I’ve had this one is the beer you should be most careful of. At about 9 dollars a 12 oz I doubt I’d buy it all the time, but since it’s around so little I’ll buy every one I can just to show off to friends. Also I’m cellaring this beers brother for one year from now. This beer is not too different from any great double IPA at 9 abv, but this is a 21 and delicious, so be careful. (1,244 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

This stuff, for me, can duke it out with Samichlaus Bier to see who is my favorite.

This is certainly one of the more expensive little buys out there; the pour shows a more golden-amber glow than expected. First nose impression is "this stuff is not nearly as harsh as I thought all this octane would deliver". Second nose impression is - "if I didn;t read up on this, I'd not have known the octane - this stuff's aroma is more tart".

The taste is Samichlaus smooth, moreso if that is possible. The finish is a nice hoppy one. Mouthfeel is Olympic medal winning quality.

All in all, this 192 dollar a case drink is All That. God help me, I'm going looking for the Raison D'Extra and World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head - they deliver quality goods. (757 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%

Paid $8.25 for a fresh 12 oz. bottle at my favorite local beer retailer. Split 3 ways with 2 good friends. Hands down, the best beer I've ever had the priviledge of tasting.

A: Looked exactly how a strong, extremely hopped up IPA should look. Rich, golden, full of character.

S: The smell was incredible. If you love the smell of fresh hops you will love smelling this beer. Smells a lot like kind nuggets of a plant in the same family.

T: The taste is pure heaven. It's sweet & beyond hoppy. The quality and attention to detail in the brewing process really comes through with each and every sip.

M: This beer left my mouth wanting more every time I swallowed. If only it weren't so expensive, I could indulge myself in it's excellence more often.

D: A sipper. I could drink it faster if I weren't so overly concerned with making sure that I thoroughly enjoy every sip. Plus, if I drank it too fast I might not be able to get back off the couch. After drinking just 4 ounces of this beer I felt great.

If you love hops and IPAs then I highly recommend trying this beer. I know I will be trying it again pretty soon. (1,134 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
12 oz bottle
Bottled 10/06, shnockered 11/06
Medium pour in a large tulip glass.

Poured a slightly hazy copper with a large off-white creamy mostly lasting head with good lacing.

Smelt of strongly of candied pineapples, cookies, pecan pie, moderate pine.

Taste was upfront harshly sweet fruitcake, pineapple, maple syrup, brandy, followed by a strong sweet dough and gelatin with light herbs on a infinitely cloying finish. Palate was full bodied, viscous, softly carbonated, almost flat, and mouth-coating.

Overall, it was really good as a dessert beer. Lots of fun tastes and smells to discover. Sickeningly cloying and disappoint hop bitterness. The malt sweetness dominates over the taste of the hops. Alcohol , albeit present, is well covered by the sugar though.

Huge props to JesseDaniels for sharing this and not liking, thus my drinking the majority of it and getting a good alcohol rip. (942 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Served: Shared a bottle with a friend. Used small cocktail glasses due to lack of proper glassware.

Appearance: Poured slowly and produced a light head that disappeared after a while due to my slow and paced sipping. The color was bright, almost glowing and on the cloudy side.

Smell: The hop smell grabs you and pulls your nose in to it. There is a sweet candy undertone, but the hops really is the star here.

Taste: The sweet hoppy character is followed by a reminder that this is a high alcohol beer.

Mouthfeel: The thickness of this beer, not really visable to the eye, stays with you after you sip and swallow. The candy flavor gave way to a light floral feel.

Drinkability: This is a great beer, but one for special moments. The cost ($8.00 for 12 oz) may scare folks, but I have seen people pay more money for less of an experience. Again, this is a hop explosion, so if you are hop inclined, this is your type of beer (942 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

The 120 smashes the balance. The 60 comes in a 6 pack, the 90 in a 4 pack, this comes solo - all for about the same price. This beer polarizes the beer faithful: some think it went too far, others love it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's an experiment - I've heard it described as a "pixie stick hop bomb" - but I think it does what it does well. It's a thick, viscous syrup - think afterdinner drink (and at roughly 20% ABV, it's proofed like one). The aroma is afterdinner drinkish too - sweet almost plum brandy. It's sweet, it's hops-in-your-face, it's overboard - all that it's supposed to be, but also quite tasty. The version I had was from 2004, so the hops have likely mellowed out a bit. I'd love to try it fresh. (722 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +8.2%

From a 12oz bottle. Almost a murky orange color, with a 2cm frothy white head. The aroma was delightful, like a boquet of flowers with a sweet pale malt backbone, and a slight resinous tinge. I was slammed by the first sip, belly warming alcohol lets you know this is not a beer to mess around with. But then the flavors start coming through in waves, up front were strong malty flavors, raisins, plum, dates, and molassas. Then the balancing hop profile started comming through, strong floral and citrus flavors, orange, apricot, tangerine, peach, and more. In my notes I wrote "its boozy like bourbon or cogniac. It was like an IPA liquour. Silky mouthfeel. Definitely a special occasion sipper, but delicious. (712 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +19.6%

I was very excited to pop open this brew. Not only because its the strongest (in terms of ABV) brew I have ever purchased, but also because I knew it would be like molten hops pouring out the bottle....yummy!

First impression, it is a deep copper, almost amber color with a modest white head. Plenty of lacing on the glass. The smell is amazing, very hopy. No hint of alcohol in the smell at all. It tastes equally as good, very sweet, hopy, and spicy. This brew has excellent body, it feels very "full" in your mouth. I would say this is one of the most drinkable brews out there. You are assaulted with amazing smells and tastes with every sip and gulp. At only the halfway point you begin to feel the affects of the alcohol, even though I found it difficult to detect the presence of 21% in the smell or taste. Most brews that are over 10% have a heavy impact in the taste by the alcohol.

This IPA is the holy grail for the hopheads out there...highly recommend this one. It is definitely worth the premium price! Another excellent product from Dogfish Head! (....must finish this review...getting dizzy...drank too fast..but soo good...) (1,147 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle from the first batch this year.

Appearance- A strong amber with hints of anti-freeze translucence. The bubbles for this IPA are clearly slowed by the amount of alcohol mand malt sweetness visible in just the color. Some mediocre head, looks like any nromal, run-of-the-mill IPA.

Smell- Not at all like any IPA I've had before. Insanely sweet. Is there even hops in this??? Sweet caramel candied apples drizzled with Skol vodka. I thinks it's sort of cool because of the shot before you even taste the beer.

Taste- Starts with more Amaretto like swetness that quickly develops into a more malt intensity beer than hops. The flavor lets you know they added insane amounts of mlats and removed water to just boost the abv. But it is unique for its resiny sweet, toasty malts. Almost like biting into a caramel apple with two inches of caramel and only haalf of a whole apple in the center. This will be my relaxing nightcap beer.

Mouthfeel- An almost over bearing malt sweetness mixed with an alcoholic burn never felt before in any burn. These new sensations in this highly heralded IPA are very intriguing because they break the mold for any normal IPA. The bitterness is there, but only a little due to the crazy amounts of malkt. Drank like it was fine cognac. (1,304 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

I had the DFH 120 for my 50th b-day tonight (yep, I'm officially a "Geezer" now!), plus, this is my first review, having been a long time lurker.

A.- Clear, deep golden color topped with a huge head of foam that leaves plenty of lacing down the sides of my Corsendonk tulip glass.

S.- Sweet, smell of some sort of hops. Doesn't remind me of any particular variety of hops - just sweet, probably due to the vast amount of malt used to balance the hops. Cookie dough, perhaps?

T. - Sweet, almost cloyingly sweet, yet at the same time the hop bite makes itself known. The sweetness hits the tip of the tongue while the bitterness hits the back of the tongue. This beer certainly walks the knife edge between bitter and sweet. Also present is a fruity note, something similar to pineapple and apricot mixed together. Alcohol is noticeable with the first several sips and then falls into the background, maybe due to the effect of the hop bitterness.

MF.- Lucious. Silky. Coats the tongue.

D.- Honestly - how can anyone take more than one of these with such an ABV? This beer is twice as strong as the typical Belgian Strong Dark or Tripel. Almost like a whisky. It's a sipper, that's for sure!

Overall: I've had this beer laying around in storage for a good 4 or 5 months just waiting for a special occassion to try it. I'm glad I waited for my half century mark to sample this beast. Now I can say I've had the 60, 90, and 120 minute IPAs from DFH. Nice work Sam! (1,478 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a flute glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a short foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is strong with wheat alcohol, hops, honey & caramelized malt. I was expecting a bit more hops in it though.

T: The flavor is boozy, but with a 21.00% ABV, it was what I anticipated on that front. What I hadn’t anticipated was the intense syrupy, honey & brown sugar sweetness that accompanied the sting of the alcohol. There’s a little bit of hops there, but it’s simply over-powered. Knowing what the 60 & 90 Minute IPA’s are like, I definitely thought that there would be a heck of a lot more hop character in this one. The only real hops significance comes out a little bit in the after-taste as the beer warmed some.

M: Smooth for something so powerful, medium body, medium carbonation, oily & sticky finish.

O: Even though this beer isn’t filling and is very flavorful, I can’t see how this beer can’t see how it can be anything else but a sipper with such a huge ABV. However, I probably drank it a little quicker than I should have. Luckily I was plowing pretzels along with it to help with alcohol absorption. (1,223 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

I served a bottle of this beast into a wine glass. It poured a nice honey color and left a two finger head that coated the glass well, which dissipated into nice lacing.

The nose held citrusy fruit caramel, malt, spices (cinnamon maybe), and pine undertones.

Immediately I can taste the alcohol along with an oily sugarness that coats your lips. At first i tasted the hops but they seem to be less noticeable after a few drinks which is a let down. I also taste raisins and caramel. Infact it reminds me of the mexican desert "flaun" Creamy with caramel sauce and cinnamon on top.

This was a very good beer because of its uniqueness but lacked the hops I was hoping for in a true IPA The complexity was decieving, the first drink really is the best.. Also I couldnt see myself drinking more than one of these. (820 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

A 12oz bottle with nice labeling of a hops cone and a statement that says "Ages Well". I hope it was good after paying $10 a bottle at my beer shop. I poured this one into an oversized wine glass. My first use of this glass.

The beer looks absolutely amazing. A good pour gives you a huge two finger thick off white head that never quite dissappates and leaves a lot on the glass. The brew itself is golden orange on the bottom and has a deep orange halo around the edge of the glass. Beautiful coloring to the brewers!

The smell is intense! Of everything. Of alcohol, fruits, malts, and of course... HOPS!

Very sweet and oily at the begining. The orange, grapefruit, pineapple are very present in the tongue. Tastes strangely of vodka for some reason. The fruits really overpower the taste buds and there are lots of hops but you feel them going down, lots of hop burn. The fruity feel wasn't what I was expecting this style. You can really feel the booze in here. 20% is a lot. The finish is very very fruity and full of bitterness of the hops. Burns my mouth just thinking of it.

You definitely need to sip this one. It will take you at least an hour and a half to finish it and that is if you really really rush. (1,229 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%

12 fl oz brown bottle; served in a snifter.
Bottled on 03.29.06.

Slightly cloudy, glowing light copper in color. Foamy, near off-white head that slowly pushes its way to the edges of the snifter. Delicately thin lacing with good strength.

Warming alcohol-infused hop resin; hop oils practically jumping from the glass. Smooth, cognac-soaked fruity esters: peach, pear, green apple. Creamy, sweet maltiness with vanilla tones.

Big sweetness up front: vanilla, honey; that lasts into the aftertaste. Liquid hop oils; hints of pear, melon. Floral hop hints and just a touch of pine. Very warming alcohol presence that works wonders with the creamy sweetness. In terms of flavor, reminiscent of a brandy flavored with maple or vanilla. Liquid gold to my tastebuds.

Medium in body; blissfully smooth and creamy on the palate. It doesn't get smoother than this for an ale this big.

If you're expecting a gruff, American hop monster filled with pine and citrus hop flavors...you'll be in for a surprise. The 120 really cannot be defined stylistically; crossing boundaries between an Imperial IPA, American Barleywine, and Cognac. Heaven, (and a hangover), in every bottle. (1,181 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

Markings are smeared, but I can see bottled 06. Had to go to OR to get this one. Pours a golden amber, with a small head and swirls from the collision of alcohol and water, almost like looking at a tequila anejo swirling in water. Tastefully extreme bitterness, coupled with sugary syrup and noticeable but delicate alcohol. Like novocain for the tongue and hot butterscotch for the throat, and a sweet beer reduction left on the lips. Numbing hops and numbing alcohol. A note of saccharin. Side note: it would make a great beer sorbet or salad dressing, or a sweet marinade or beer demi glaze for that matter. A near-liquor concoction with chewy malts and bitter oily hops galore. A real palate-killer, so save this one for last. If you like whiskey, rum, or tequila, you'll love this one. Cheers, DFH, this was much better and well put together than it was when it first came out (the last time I had it). Score! (914 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz. bottle brewed 3/29/06.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy red hued copper color with a thin white colored head and a milky way of film in the center.
S: Heavy fruit hops with grapefruit, orange, lemon, passion fruit, and pine all are noticeable. Spicyness of the high abv is bold. Sweet wafer notes also.
T/M: Holy crap what a huge body this brew has! Big massive juicy mango, orange, and grapefruit fruityness with luscious pine notes. Extra sweet with a big spicyness that stings the taste buds and combines with a bold bitterness that hangs out. Creamy, oily, and resiny crawl across the tongue. Extra sticky with a sweet sugary residue left on the lips. It seems that as this beer warms it gets thicker and more syrupy. Not extremely bitter as I thought it was going to be. The back of my neck is getting warm---extra warming in the chest and head.
D: Ahhh, drinkable? Drinkable how? quantity?--no way. It's worth getting a hold of even at the steep price tag (~$9). 21% abv--Holy Crap! Definately a sipping beer---and only one at a time! But also a very tasty offering from DFH, not that I'm suprised. (1,111 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery