120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

I've really wanted to try this beer for a long time but thought that I would have to travel out of Indiana to get some but little did I know that last week my liquor store in Brownsburg got a few cases! At $10 a pop I only got 2 but I was excited.

A - Deep orange color. Pours thick! Totally opaque from all the hops and malt packed into this beer. Light white head with light lacing.

S - Very strong malt character with lots of alcohol and some raw citrus-type hops. Not any where near the hop smell that I expected. Smells more like a strong barley wine with the malty backbone forcing most of the aromatics.

T - The first sip there are lots of flavors but mostly the rich malt character holds true, then the alcohol "flavor" more than just heat and then the hop resins come with some flavor but mostly just bitterness. The bitterness seems to mask the late addition hops making it feel more like a hop bomb instead of showcasing individual hop flavors. It feels like the alcohol burn sticks to the back of your mouth from the beer's thickness and the hops you can't just exhale the booziness.

M - Super high mouth-feel with lighter carbonation. The thickest IIPA I could ever had even dreamed of; it's basically a 20% American Barley Wine with less of the caramel tones and color.

Overall, a different DIPA experience and not my favorite. I still think that the best way to describe this beer is a super-charged Barley Wine. The alcohol heat burns the hops into your throat. I was disappointed by this beer especially when comparing this to the amazing 90-Minute IPA from DFH which is has tons of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness along with the malt and alcohol but this is the complete opposite. I love hops, bitterness, and straight booze but I think the thickness along with the alcohol burn killed it for me. I will try my other one after a couple other beers to really put me down and hopefully after a few beers the burn won't be so devastating.

Glass- Snifter

dmgeng, Saturday at 03:42 PM
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

maljay26, Saturday at 02:22 PM
4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Seeker_11, Saturday at 05:32 AM
4.5/5  rDev +10%

McBraniel, Saturday at 05:18 AM

I'm really not sure how to rate this within the parameters of the style. It's such a big beer the body and high alcohol drown out the hops somewhat. I'd give it a higher score if I could taste more hops than alcohol but it's just so boozy. It's a good beer and very interesting, not a great IIPA.

adman08, Saturday at 04:17 AM

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

kprandy, Thursday at 11:04 PM

HR_1358, Thursday at 10:58 PM
4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Another WIN for DFH!!! This one will make your head spin if you drink too many!!! High alcohol content but it is off the charts delicious!!! Go get it and try it, you will NOT be disappointed!!!!

rob111270, Thursday at 08:36 PM