120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,347 | Reviews: 2,197

Super tasty super strong you can smell the high abv and hops underneath it drinks super easy a for 18% beer would drink or I should say sip again

3.72/5  rDev -9.7%

S: Moderate toasted malt amd mild caramel malt aroma. Medium to moderate dark pine, overripe grapefruit and citrus hops. a big boozy ethenol aroma.

A: Copper color with heavy hop haze. Little to no head retention. Fine off-white bubbles with long lasting alcohol legs.

T: Strong bitterness with medium to moderate toasty malt character. Light raisin and date malts. Strong marmalade, evergreen and orange hop flavor in the middle and the finish has grapefruit and light citrus. The balance is on the hops. Fermentation has produced a ton of ethenol and some fruity esters (pears). High octane flavors throughout.

M: Big body with high alcohol warming in the chest. Creamy mouthfeel with a prickly sensation on the tongue. Also a sticky hop resin covers the palate after a few sips. Carbonation is moderate.

O: Strong in every area. This was a beer that I discovered when I first started getting into IPAs about 6-7 years ago but never had the opportunaty to try it after DFH pulled out of WI. After the long wait Im glad I got to try it but probably won't buy another. The boozyness turns me off and the huge malt character puts it into the arena of a barley wine (not necessarilly a bad thing).

4.71/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had a couple days ago on draft.

4.01/5  rDev -2.7%

Saw a few 12 oz bottles on the shelf at my local liquor store and felt compelled to buy one. The bottled on date states it was made a little over 3 months ago. Poured at about 60 degrees from the bottle into my pint glass.

L: A little underwhelming, in terms of appearance. It pours a deep, cloudy apricot with about a quarter inch of off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves some cling on the glass. Moderate visible carbonation (though it's pretty hard to tell because of the cloudiness).

S: Pine resin, herbal earthiness, and citrus fruit in the nose, along with a healthy caramel malt underside. There's also some clear alcohol in the mix, along with a slight hint of what's registering to me as bread pudding.

T: Caramel malt sweetness and some vanilla tones right out of the gates, with a striking hit of boozy alcohol--the sensation is a bit like taking a pull of whiskey. Some resinous hop notes, along with some less pronounced herbal hop notes. The middle provides more of that sweet alcohol, with apricot and a suggestion of black licorice. The back is warming alcohol, a bit of pine hop bitter, and the persistence of some caramel malt. For a beer that is billed as a huge hop bomb, it's a whole lot sweeter than I expected. I was looking for bright hop notes, but they're all relatively subdued and/or overpowered by the booze.

F: This one has a nice feel for how high the ABV is. It's creamy, just a bit syrupy, and bitter without shooting your taste buds completely. It drinks a bit lighter than I expected it would.

O: This really is a taste experience that I haven't encountered in too many DIPAs. It's incredible how boozy it is without totally loosing its character. That being said, this beer did not deliver the kind of hop aroma and taste that I was expecting. It's possible that I got a bad bottle, but it just seems to me that all the big flavors that should come from all that hopping have been muted, stewed away, or just overshadowed too much by the alcohol. At $10 a 12 oz bottle, I probably won't be ponying up for another one of these in the near future, but I'm glad I had the chance to try it.

4.49/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. The beer is a murky bronze color with a dense, white foam head that retains well and leaves decent lace. It's aroma is a bright, juicy orange / tangerine note with floral hints and a resinous woody undertone. As it warms up caramel starts to poke through with cloves and a hint of acetone. It's highly citrus bittersweet that both compliments and counteracts each other (not necessarily balanced), with perhaps a touch more sweet than bitter. The beer is viscous and creamy with a soft fuzzy carbonation. The full body is woody and citrus with a pine grit and alcohol on the tongue. The finish is warm (vodka or strong bourbon) with spicy clove and woody notes and a clean, vodka-alcohol aftertaste that's dry and astringent.

The older the better. Great beer!

A great barleywine, lots of sweetness, hides the alcohol very well. A very special treat!

3.72/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2011 vintage. Pours a dirty tea looking color that settles into the glass as a murky Amber with a thin off-white head. Lots of toasted grain in the nose, with a aged piney hop aroma as well. Flavor is very sweet and toasty with the piney hops still lingering around and balancing out some of the sweetness. Mouthfeel is somewhat thinner than I thought it would be, with a moderate level of carbonation and a lingering alcohol presence. Still drinkable with age, but not sure if this one improved at all.

As you can tell, I enjoyed this one. The bottle was a little over a year old. Almost no hop flavor or aroma. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Flavor was fruity, but not cloying. As Sam describes it, marmalade-y. It makes you want to keep going back for another sip, and since the alcohol is well hidden on aged bottles, watch out. It hit me like a ton of bricks lol.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Super boozy smell. Tasty though.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%

too smooth for my own good

4.94/5  rDev +19.9%

Perfection... Over the top IPA, really a barley wine, but so good!

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Love this beer; has been very difficult to find but it is special. I love the strong IPA's and this one packs a legit punch!

4.9/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I had one that wasn't aged and it was excellent! Super excited to see how they change over the years. A tough beer to find here in Houston, looking forward to my next one.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wasn't sure what to expect with the 120 minute. Wow. Such a delicious beer. Coming in at 120 IBUs but yet so smooth and drinkable considering the alcohol content. Almost tastes like a barleywine. Will definitely get again given the opportunity.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Rattle n Hum. As I called for my check, I see the 120 is being added to the menu. Canceled the check, canceled Uber, & settled in for what I hoped would be something special.

Let me start with the truism that I dislike hops in a disproportion.

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not sure of the bottle date, but this is extremely balanced. Way more than I was expecting. The sweetness of the malt lingers through the hop bite,so that you get to experience everything this beer has to offer at once. I highly recommend and will definitely buy a four pack if I ever come across any. Great beer.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1/14/15. Strong alcohol bite but very flavorful. Can't wait to see how this ages.

3.87/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Smell is citrus and peach, but the finish is unbelievably bitter.

2.97/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Had it on tap. It's just too much. I knew I was getting into a very boozy beer but it just wasn't an enjoyable beverage to drink.

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter at room temperature.
L - Poured a hark honey color into the snifter with negligable carbonation. The colorless lacing is very long lasting.
S - Smells of honey, hops and alcohol. A fine combination.
T - A balanced combination of lots of hops an lots of malt.
F - On the heavy side. Very mouth coating.
O - A very fine imperial IPA. The balance is done quite well. Highly recommended.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: A nice golden color with a short white head, leaves good lacing

Smell: Pungent resinous hops, along with strong maltiness

Taste: Strong resiny hops, malty sweetness, some alcohol bite, and a sharp bitterness

Feel: Full body, good carbonation

Overall: Well this is one hell of an impressive brew. It's evident it is strong, but not that it is as strong as it is. Full of flavor, this one is a sipper for sure. This bottle is fairly fresh, less than three months old. It looses points for the lack of balance, but I imagine that is hard to get with something like this. I'm debating on whether or not I should pick up another to cellar, as I feel like this is more of a barleywine than an IPA, and everyone seems to love to cellar it.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottled 7-2-13 - served @ 50deg F

A - Light amber with porous white head

S - Sweet honey - hops - alcohol

T/M - Sweetness up front followed by sour/spicy hops and alcohol heat lingering at the finish

O - Glad I took the advice of a fellow advocate and gave this some time in the cellar. It seems pretty mellow and smooth for such high ABV. Not sure how this isn't considered a barley wine... but it's pretty tasty no matter the style. Prost!

All beers should strive to be this delicious. From beginning to end is a non stop pleasure. My only negative is that I can only get one at a time no matter how hard I look. I'm not sure how the bros only gave it a 95. My top beers are all 100 by the bros except this one which I give a solid 100.

3.54/5  rDev -14.1%

Tried this beer randomly, was 11$ for a single 12 oz. bottle. When I opened it it smelled so good, the fruits instantly hit my nose. The taste was okay too, however the feel was horrible. It didn't go down well at all, most likely due to the 18-20% alcohol content. I tried to split it with my girlfriend at the time because I couldn't just commit alcohol abuse, we ended up drinking most of it together and I poured out the last 1/8th of it, which by then I was feeling pretty buzzed. The notes on this beer are very strong, but so is the alcohol. If im not mistaken I tried the 60 minute too and it tasted and felt the same just with less alcohol. Would probably never buy again but it was definitely worth the try.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery