1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Reviews: 1936

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
View: Beers (137) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,233 | Reviews: 1,936 | Show All Ratings:
brewskifan55

Mississippi

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter

A: A clear golden bronze with a minimal off white head that left the room rather hurriedly. Light lacing.

S: A nice wave of piney hops followed by citrus notes of orange and lemon

T: Here's where I was pleasantly surprised. For all its hop appeal the 120 Minute is one of the smoothest drinkers in the category. Red grapefruit rushes in, followed by a sweet smooth shower of malts. The piney hops are really diminished by the malt intervention; perfect for my palette. I didn't realize the ABV was so freakin' high; it never overwhelms the taste. A terrific sipper with a dry finish.

M: Medium with medium, frothy carbonation.

O: Glad I got to try this revered brew. One of the smoothest imperial IPA's I've had. Share with friends.

09-20-2013 15:26:20 | More by brewskifan55
Labeorphile

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Nice coppery color with a lacy thick white head.

Aroma was good with a malty nose, more malty and less hoppy than I expected. Doesn't really seem like an IPA but I really enjoyed it.

Mouth feel was thin but seemed good for style.

Love the 90 minute IPA and expected this to be more hoppy not less, but I liked it. Was worried because I saw a lot of negative reviews but I recommend.

09-13-2013 00:00:11 | More by Labeorphile
BltByKrmn

2.7/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I've rated a ton, but I'm compelled to comment here. 120 may pass as decent for a barley wine, but as a DIPA it is terrible. Alcohol overpowers it and the hops are nowhere to be found. Maybe it's my fault for expecting a HT or PtE because of hype, but it's nowhere near the level of any of the great DIPAs.

09-08-2013 21:56:05 | More by BltByKrmn
MDDMD

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

A-golden amber color with a decent off-white head and no lacing

S-brown sugar, orange, malt, floral, pine

T-big malt flavor, brown sugar, citrus, orange, pine, vanilla, some bitterness to balance the malt, light floral

F-medium body with light carbonation, smooth and creamy

O-nice sipping ale, complex flavor and good balance of malt and bitterness

09-07-2013 16:25:14 | More by MDDMD
PHSCAPT

4.06/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've been searching for this for a while and DE is right next door. I have heard much about this, and given that my "beer" of choice are Belgian quads, this shoudl be interesting.

Poured at about 60 degrees into a pint Guinness glass. Appearance is absolultely beautiful. If it weren't for the almost non-existent foam ring I'd think this was honey. Deep amber, really stunning and I've not had many stunningly beautiful beers.
Smell reminds me of wet hay. Not poetic but accurate.
T - Okay, well definitely hoppy but not bitter. In fact, I'd say it is near sweet, nearly medicinal and you definitely get the booziness, almost like a quad. Very slight back tongue bitterness after a few minutes. Yes, sip and evaluate.
M - Very smooth with very little carbonation
O - Probably advisable to have a large meal before this or share it. You could amost do shots of this beer. I'd like to try it colder.

08-31-2013 00:22:56 | More by PHSCAPT
Robb_in_Austin

3.54/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Aggressively poured into a pint glass. This might be the second time I've had this but I can't fully remember.

A: pours a dark amber for me, bit hazy, with a nice light golden head which died quickly. Left minimal lacing.

S: alcohol, candy, bit of hops(grapefruit?, perhaps lime) on the nose, alcohol.

T: alcohol, candy, faint hit of hop spice initially then malty/sweet body. I get some hop bitterness after swallowing but it dies quickly.

M: seems a bit thin for the ABV.

O: I think I like the 90min better. Despite the 120IBU touted, I don't get it, and for that I'm disappointed. Regardless, this is fairly well balanced for the ABV. Perhaps they should call it '120 minute IP Barley Wine'.

08-26-2013 00:17:05 | More by Robb_in_Austin
jeff1973

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Piggly Wiggly tulip. Bottled on 7/22/11, so a little more than 2 years old.

A - Hazy, cloudy reddish brown. Off-white head that dissipates quickly, but leaves a little lacing.

S - Candied fruit, peaches, light brown sugar, piloncillo. A light herbal, tea-like hop aroma.

T - Heavy candied fruit and brown sugar, some spices like a really good fruit cake. No alcohol at all really smooth, age has done this well. Hops are faint and mostly tea-like notes.

M - Rather thick, coats mouth well. Carbonation is low. Fits for this style.

O - Great beer, really complex, a ton of flavor. Very different than fresh and worth cellaring.

08-15-2013 04:53:14 | More by jeff1973
slowonder1

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

bottled 7/2/2013 and poured into a snifter.

A- Poured slowly but high above the glass to create a thick white head. Good quality lacing just from the initial pour. Very orange/apricot color to the beer. Very appealing.

S- Malt and booze. For a beer that has been hopped to hell and back all I can smell is sweetness from the malt. On further assessment there are subtle hints of caramel, and spiced citrus.

T- This is where I realized I may not be a fan of such high ABV's. I'd rather have Tequila or Rye Whiskey because of the balance. This beer is all sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel. The malt finish is huge, adding to the sweetness. Minimal hops. I know they are there, because they have to be, but tasting them is difficult. Booze and malt are all I can distinguish.

M- Like a mouth full of a good liqueur this beer has a sweet rich feel with minimal carbonation.

O- Can I say disappointed? WIth 60,75, and 90 being so very impressive I expected this to crush them all. I instead encountered a totally different beast. More Liqueur than beer, this beverage needs to come with a warning. A warning that it should only be consumed in small quantities after a hearty meal. Very much digestif-like. Give me Averna or Fernet any day...

08-15-2013 03:56:59 | More by slowonder1
spoony

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 355 ml bottle (bottled July 2, 2013) into a tulip.

A-As you might expect with a beer that has an ABV well into the double digits, a normal pour produces very little head, just a thin, patchy cap of khaki foam that lingers in varying stages of patchiness. The brew is hazy and orange, rusty, copper in color. There is a decent bubble show at first with champagne-like streams of carb.

S-There is a lot of warming booze, but I find it appetizing and complex like a good cognac. Flavor-wise, I detect spicy orange, vanilla, and caramel. The brew is mostly sweet with a nicely-balanced bitterness that, in the grand scheme of things, is not all that bitter.

T-The taste is similar to the smell with cognac-like flavors of orange, vanilla, caramel, and a bit of spice riding a big wave of warming alcohol. Again, the bitterness is balanced by the huge malts and result is not so much a hop bomb but just a huge, boozy beer.

M-The feel is substantial with low levels of carbonation and a medium body. The carbonation just sort of rests on your palate.

O-I have had sips of this beer before and not been overwhelmed, but I thoroughly enjoyed my bottle this evening. Obviously, at anywhere from 15%-20% this is a huge beer, so if subtlety is your thing, look elsewhere. But if you've got some time to sip and big, balanced, digestif-like flavors are on your list, this is a fine example of how to do big beers right.

08-09-2013 03:38:09 | More by spoony
Chickenhawk9932

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a light cooper with a slight off white head.

The nose is beautiful - pine, floral, earth, citrus, mango, and a little alcohol burn.

Sweet orange and mango up front a little syrupy giving way to herbal, pine, earthy hop bitter punch. Mouthfeel is a little confused syrupy, chewy malt, thin a little thin and whispy reaching for a dryness that is only attained in an aftertaste. This is an extreme and interesting beer. It is excellent, and I am thoroughly enjoying it; still, I have nothing to gage it buy. It is in a class of its own.

08-04-2013 00:15:53 | More by Chickenhawk9932
Givemebeer

2.58/5  rDev -36.5%

I know I'm a minority on this one - and I think Dogfish Head is usually brilliant, but this was just a trainwreck. Incredibly boozy and hard to drink and has no direction. I'm convinced that a load of hops and malts were tossed in and this was the end result. If I want a Dogfish Head brew, I'll stick to Burton Baton or 90 minute. Both of which are infinitely better and less expensive.

08-03-2013 21:48:26 | More by Givemebeer
matttttYCE

Arizona

Well, this is 2011. Maybe I'll rereview next time I get some fresh.

Anyways, hazy copper orange color. Head is light tan, about a finger high, great lacing and retention. The aroma is big on hops (floral, piney, citrus) and bitterness, even though this has been aged for some time. Also get lots of sweetness, caramel, honey, toffee, fruit cake, rum raison/dark fruits, and a malt backbone that stands up to what was, to say the least, some intense hopping in this beer. I remember the aroma of a fresher bottle was more like a big DIPA that had Barleywine qualities. Now it's more like a big, super hoppy Barleywine and I'm definitely okay with this. Taste is sweet again, alcohol bite is noticeable, caramel sweetness, heavy on the herbal, piney, and citric hops, bitterness, yeah, with toffee, treacle, butterscotch, strong malt presence, and honey swarming as well. Hints of dark fruit, fruit cake, nuts, and vanilla? Pretty good. Mouthfeel is good. Filmy, viscous consistency, round (medium-high) carbonation, medium-full body, and a bitter, dry, lingering finish.

Holy hoppy barleywines, Batman! Yeah, this used to be an Imperial India Pale Ale bordering on an American Barleywine, but the age has turned it into just the opposite. Nonetheless, still a great beer. If I want to get my hop and barleywine fix, I now know where to turn if I don't have any fresh SN Bigfoot on hand. Additionally, this beer is not for the faint of heart (read: lightweights). 12oz, roughly 18%. Tread wisely. Sharing recommended.

08-01-2013 00:18:03 | More by matttttYCE
take_it_sleazy

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Good Nature snifter. Picked one up for $10.50

A: gorgeous copper color. Minimal, one finger head.

S: not much going on in the nose. Pick some up some malty and boozy notes. Nothin really shining here.

T: a pleasant surprise here. Sweetness upfront, with a nice caramel malt backbone. A roasted malt flavor balenced well with the hops which are boldly, but not overpoweringly present throughout. Honey and citrus are other flavors i picked up, maybe even vanilla and molasses as well. Dogfish did well balancing a beer that could have easily gotten out of their control. Bravo.

M: I think this is where the beer especially shines. A medium body with a solid amount of carbonation. Nothing too bubbly and overwhelming. Pretty great here.

O: I told myself I wasnt gonna like this one and I was absolutely wrong. Will pick up another bottle and maybe try aging it for a year or two if I'm feeling frisky. The beer is really well balenced between hops and malt, with the 15%+ alc. not playing a huge factor in enjoyment, at least in a negative respect. Would recommend for the avg. hophead to at least give it a shot, who knows?.... You might be pleasantly surprised.

07-29-2013 21:52:39 | More by take_it_sleazy
KYGunner

Kentucky

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

Aged six months and poured into a snifter.

Gorgeous iridescent amber/orange or coppery color. Fingers worth of a thin fizzy foam erupted on top but dissipated quickly.

All kinds of aromas are emerging from the glass. Sweet caramel malt, dried fruit like prune or date, maple, dried cherries, candied fruit, pear and toasted grains are all there but not overly pronounced.

This is a sipper so I've tried to slow down and enjoy this immensely complex brew. Candied fruits come to the front with prune, date and raisin. Hints of maple and cherry come near the middle with toasted grain, roasted nut and caramel malts at the end. The last touch has a boozy heat and the feel is rather thick but as I said this is a sipper meant to be slowly enjoyed.

07-27-2013 20:53:46 | More by KYGunner
gspeicher

Kentucky

1.75/5  rDev -56.9%

I know it isn't considered productive to just bash a beer, but this is not only bad, but also one of the worst beers I have ever had. It's an overly malty, syrupy, boozy mess of a beer. That said, I will stash one in the basement for some time to see how it mellows out. The 90 and 60 are both better (and cheaper).

07-26-2013 19:57:49 | More by gspeicher
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

330ml bottle served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark orange color. Slightly hazy. Forms a one finger creamy, thin bubbled and solid yellow head. Medium retention and lots of spotty and lingering lacings left in the glass

S: Strong caramel and citrus and flowery hops. Caramel malts. Plums and peaches. Oak. Very boozy, like a liquor.

T: Taste is quite good. A sweet and upfront. Strong toffee, caramel malts, dry fruits like peaches. A nice woody background. Warming, as expected. Despite the strong alcohol in the nose, it's hard to believe that this a 18% ABV beer. I would say something between 11 and 13%. The 120 IBU is also quite hidden by its sweetness, unfortunately :)

M: Heavy, creamy and molasses. Low carbonation and a quite bittersweet (more sweet than bitter) aftertaste

O: Good drinkability. Not as good as the 90 Minute. Perhaps a bit too sweet and boozy but still a classic from Dogfish Head

07-25-2013 18:07:44 | More by eduardolinhalis
1sophrosyne1

1.3/5  rDev -68%

This 2013 iteration was consumed at the Tap House over 20 minutes.
Pours copper color with very little head and just a bit of bubbles up top and some lacing.

For all the hops, there's very little scent of them. I get some toffee, caramel, rum raisin and a hint of fennel. It's funky in a way that ain't funky...And the strangeness progresses to bad...

It tastes of spoiled maple syrup, molasses, and a sweet hay. It might have some complexity to comment on, but I can't stick with it long enough to find what's interesting. The hops have gone well past bitter and dominate in an untoward manner...with sticky essential oils. This is such an off-putting unilateral experience, I struggle to consume it.

The mouthfeel is heavy and medicinal, making the poor flavor harder to tolerate, because it doesn't go away as rapidly as I'd hope. For all the alcohol, it's not very hot and desperately needs more carbonation and spice to cut it.

I expected a wildly spicy hopbomb, but this is a syrupy fortified, chewy wine--a dessert wine that I don't deserve! What happened to the 120 this year? It's truly awful.

07-24-2013 22:11:45 | More by 1sophrosyne1
EkimGram

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Taken from my beer journal dated 3/20/12

Appearance: 12oz bottle poured into a large snifter. Colour is a rich amber-brown with a nice deep garnet quality. Thin head fades quickly to an even thinner ring. Modest amount of visible carbonation.

Smell: Thick concentrated aromas of hops, alcohol, and honey with a touch of citric acid and sweet malts.

Taste: Holy moly what a whap! Enormous sweet and bitter hop flavours that bite and melt away in a boozy sweetness. Thick, complex, chewy, layer after layer of flavour evolves into the next. Hops, hops, hops.

Mouthfeel: Thick, silky, slick, oily, sticky, all with a nice vivacious carbonated bite.

Overall: Doesn't completely live up to the hype but this is certainly a unique beer. I wouldn't expect any less from DFH.

07-08-2013 23:19:38 | More by EkimGram
jegross2

Reviewing the infamous 120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery out of Milton, Delaware. This double IPA clocks in at a whopping 18% ABV.

Score: 90

Bottled on 02/15/13. Served in a snifter glass and enjoyed on 05/15/13.

Appearance: Pours a clean looking caramel color with a thin layer of off-white head atop the glass that settles to ring around the glass. Average lacing, above average retention -- shocking for the ABV. Basically, this looks like you'd expect an IPA to look like. 4/5

Smell: Boozy caramel and surprisingly subtle piney hops. Sweet citrus, cheap waffle syrup (you know, the kind at a Comfort Suite's continental breakfast) and wood chips, a little earthiness too. Smells quite malty. 4/5

Taste: Tastes like an aged Behemoth with more alcohol warmth on the palate. Syrupy caramel malt, boozy malt, a dash of vanilla. There's citrus, earthy hops and a lingering orange and syrup flavor in the finish. Despite the booziness, it does not taste like it is much more than a 10% ABV beer -- certainly not as boozy as you would expect of a beer that has a higher ABV than a bottle of DeKuyper Sour Apple Pucker schnapps. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, low carbonation. This beer is surprisingly viscous and syrupy! Has a nice malty sweet character with a dash of bitterness from the hops. Dry finish. 4/5

Overall: Definitely overpriced what it ultimately delivers, but pretty tasty nonetheless. I can't imagine this beer is cheap to brew given the gravity. Although 120 Minute IPA is not quite as good as other malt-bomb high ABV imperial IPAs that blend the line between American barleywine and imperial IPA like Double Crooked Tree or Maharaja, I found that I liked this beer essentially as much as a two or three year old Behemoth.

Cost: $9.99 for a 12 oz bottle.

07-07-2013 23:39:38 | More by jegross2
Roguer

Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Amber, orange, and red brew, with a thin, 1/2 finger white head that fades to a bubbly line. Slow carbonation; almost opaque.

Boozy aroma: alcohol, wheat, honey, hops, about in that order. Caramel grains, toast, maybe a hint of grape.

Huge dose of sweet, sweet malts; no typical DIPA hop presence, yet it's extremely bitter. The alcohol is pretty well-hidden for the 18% ABV, but it's impossible to not notice. If the line between a DIPA and a Barleywine was fuzzy, DFH 120 min erases that line.

I cannot overemphasize the massive sweet dose of malts: heavy caramel, but also honey, some lighter grains, and almost a less odious butterscotch. Despite being a 120 minute hop-bomb, any hint of grapefruit or non-malt floral honey is almost completely overwhelmed; you really have to search for those flavors.

Medium-full feel; thick, syrupy, boozy, warming. No sting. It's hard to imagine a better mouthfeel on a beer this beastly.

This is an incredible, complex, and potent brew. I have to be in the mood for a sipping wine to down this beer; it is nothing like an ordinary IPA or DIPA (although Devil Dancer is a good comparison, and RuinTen lies on the same path).

I've heard people refer to this as a Barleywine, and they're not incorrect. If you're an IPA-loving hop-head, then this probably isn't the beer for you. If you enjoy sipping your beer slowly, and can handle a beer that simultaneously manages an IBU load of palate-blasting bitterness AND a malt load that puts many Belgians to shame, then have at it. It's a special beer.

This is a fresh 120 minute; I'm saving another one for aging. (You know it's a special DIPA when the bottle proclaims "Ages well," instead of the usual "Drink it fresh!!!111exclamationmark!")

06-28-2013 23:12:14 | More by Roguer
zeledonia

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of the stronger widely distributed beers available, so I had to give it a shot. Bottled 28 Feb 2013. Tasted 4 June 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours clear medium orange. Just a dusting of whitish head, not much visible carbonation. Looks syrupy.

Smell is an amalgam of fruity hops (mostly citrus), beefed-up sweet malts, and an alcohol pinch. Leans toward sweet and fruity, but there's so much else going on that it's hard to pull out the individual components. Complex in a kitchen-sink way.

Taste is... sweet and alcoholic. Exactly what I was expecting, but still a bit of a shock to the senses. Makes me tingle on one sip, and shudder on the next. A kick in the pants, but a remarkably enjoyable one.

Mouthfeel is really nice, in an odd way. Quite syrupy, leaving a sugary residue on my lips after the taste. Medium-low carbonation, but I think any more would be too much. Lasting and luscious.

A very interesting beer. It's powerfully sweet, and powerfully alcoholic, but there's so much variety in the flavor that I barely (for 15% plus) notice the alcohol. Despite this bottle being relatively fresh at 3 months, I find this more like a barleywine than an IPA. If an IPA, it's certainly a malt-heavy one.

06-28-2013 18:46:17 | More by zeledonia
lighthabit

Oregon

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

clear, golden, nice head dies down quickly. intense smell, flavor is hops and malt on steroids, trying to fight against a whopping 14%. sweet like crazy and oily thick. not a brew for quaffing, but sipping with a friend. drop a point or two for being so very intense, it's a bit much. in it's favor, it's not a "girly ipa" like my bro usually calls em.

06-18-2013 03:21:56 | More by lighthabit
richj1970

Alabama

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into goblet.

Bottled into 2011 and opened in mid 2013.

A: Burnt orange and very hazy with small white head with some large bubbles. Some lacing.

S: Oranges, peaches, apricot... Sweet malts and caramel or butterscotch mixed with a bit of earthiness.

T: Nice sweet malty flavors combined with lots of citrus. Hops are still detectable but subdued from age. A bit boozy, but enjoyable.

M: Full body with medium carbonation in line with high ABV. Coats the tongue nicely. Very nice sipping beer, but was smooth enough for me to want to drink much faster.

O: Very enjoyable beer. Definitely needs to be shared or enjoyed slowly or the alcohol catches up with you quickly. Will have to seek out some more bottles of this one!

06-16-2013 01:59:37 | More by richj1970
JMScowcroft

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dogfish Head - 120 Minute IPA

A friend snagged a few of these for me from over in NY since VT ABV laws restrict anything over 16% still. Silly, but at least I was able to get a few.

Look - Poured into the DFH IPA glass, figured no other way to do it. Pours a hazy deep orange amber with a full foamy head that dissipates slowly and leaves a good amount of spotty lacing, which is quite impressive given the alcohol content.

Smell - Alcohol is right on top, as well as malt, but these both face contention with juicy citrus and piney bitter hops. One hell of an aroma but a little off-putting due to the alcohol.

Taste - Smooth caramel malt with juicy citrus hops gives way to a warm boozy blast to the face. The alcohol is there for sure, but it mixes well.

Mouthfeel - Tingle, warmth (throat and stomach), and general almost bourbon whiskey feel. Surprisingly enough it is quite dry (only ever so slightly sticky) and on the lighter side in terms of body. This is a sipper (of course) but otherwise quite drinkable, I had no problem putting this down.

Overall - Not really what I would call a DIPA, but I guess the formula had to be characterized somehow and it seems to be an extreme version of this formula. Quite a novel creation, would have this again once in a while for sure, might try aging one for a few years as well.

06-12-2013 12:22:21 | More by JMScowcroft
facundoCNB

3.76/5  rDev -7.4%

2003 bottle:

a deep amber pour, no sign of carbonation but very clean pour for the amount of sediment in the bottle. smells of alcohol up front, lots of honey and sweet malt. the flavor is a malt bomb. much of the boozyness is faded, lots of sweet caramel, honey, and tons of barley. full body with very low amount of carbonation (shocked there's any at all after 10 years). i have to say, this held up VERY well. this was the first year i drank 120 minute, and it's nice to have gotten a vintage from that year 10 years later.

06-11-2013 01:12:15 | More by facundoCNB