120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.52/5  rDev +10%

i have been searching out this beer for some time now. i love the 90 minute. the truth is that this sucker nails you right away. the flavor is not overpowering but complete and balanced well. the hop taste is orgasmic.

from my notes:

A: semi-translucent, amber, i got a low head, greet lacing.

S: citrus, sweet, grapefruit

T: white grapes, grapefruit, perfectly balanced.

Drinkability: sipper

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%

A- Pours a dark, dark copper/gold. Head is short lived. Love the carb bubbles.

S- Almost smells of a cider. Alcohol.

T- Alcohol overpowers everything which I was expecting. Slight sweetness followed by bitterness, neither of which is too overwheming. A definite sipper.

M- Creamy.

D/O- Drinkability is near zero but loved every second of my 6 ounce glass...split a 12 ounce bottle of this 18% monster with a friend who then blew a .4 on my BAC device. Been looking forward to this day for awhile after having many 60 and 90 Minutes. Thanks PTMcB!

2.19/5  rDev -46.7%

2009 release aged for a year and poured into a tulip glass at cellar temperature.

A-Pumpkin bronze with filtered clarity and a thin white head that settles into a thin ring. Not surprising given the ABV.

S-Hops and turpentine. Somewhere behind all of this there is a hint of sweet caramel malt. Only a hint. This does not smell like something I want to put in my mouth.

T-Overpowering maple-like sweetness is the first impression, along with some dark fruits. The brew effervesces on the palate, and the hops kick in as this rolls over the tongue. Think Maple syrup with hop cones and grain alcohol thrown in and that pretty much sums it up. I was actually surprised and expected a much hoppier brew.

M-Full creamy mouthfeel with slight under-carbonation.

D-Ok, so much for the hype. I appreciate the uniqueness and can say I tried it. Bought two bottles and will give the other away as a novelty. I also ate a chocolate covered bug once, just to say I did. I think I enjoyed the bug much more than this.

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz bottle (date has rubbed off, but this is at least 4 years old) poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass. Very interested to see how this has held up over the years.

A - Bottle opens with a nice whoosh of carbonation. A rather firm pour down the center of the glass raises a 1/2 finger of off white, creamy foam that actually hangs around for a few minutes, slowly falling. Pretty impressive for an 18% beer. Some light foamy lacing clings to the glass...again, just a bit surprising - pleasantly. A mostly clear deep orange amber color with lots of fine streams of carbonation rising nicely from the bottom of the glass.

S - Surprisingly hoppy up front given the age, although it is obvious that the aroma has faded greatly from its initial intensity. Still manage to get quite a bit of pine and grapefruit. A nice layer of sweetness sits behind the hops. I get notes of raisins, honey, caramel and toffee. I would also say that there is a sweetness contribution from the ethanol as well as some phenolics and an overall boozy aroma.

T - Super sweet up front. Candi sugar, very sweet maltiness, honey...almost syruplike. Citrusy hops, a bit of a green hop flavor. There is some bitterness here from the hops, which I guess does balance this out some, but they really can't compete with the high sugar levels in here. The only thing that stands up to the sweetness is the alcohol. There is a strong alcoholic, boozy flavor in here that really overpowers everything else. In a way, this reminds me of Southern Comfort...doesn't taste the same, but just the level of alcohol combined with the syrupy sweetness - same basic effect.

M - Very full bodied with a smooth and creamy lower level carbonation. Despite the syrupy thickness, this beer just slides over the tongue in an almost oily sorta way. The alcohol first catches me on the inhale in a "take your breath away" fashion as it overpowers the oxygen in the air and eventually rests in the back of your mouth and throat with a mild burn. Alcohol and a fruitiness beyond by capability to describe is left behind after the swallow. This is a pretty unique beer.

D - Hmm, how to describe the drinkability of an 18% beer. Well, it's not the best thing I've ever had, but it is unique and interesting. A sipper for sure, although I'm sure I'm plowing through this way too fast and it's gonna hurt. Can't say that I'm looking for another beer after this one is done. At this point I'd lean heavily towards calling this a barleywine instead of a DIPA. Maybe I should have waited another couple of months for some cooler weather, but I've been staring at this in my fridge for too long...it had to be done. This is almost liquor like and definitely more fitting as an after dinner drink than anything else. Got another one of these with about the same age on it...think I will share with a friend when the time is right...probably a good thing for both of us.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

bottle dated 2/9/09--aged in cellar for a year plus.

Appearance: dark orange/yellow in color, cloudy, minimal carbonation, minimal head

Smell: caramel, biscuits, alcohol, and pine hops

Taste: caramel, biscuits, alcohol, sweet citrus fruit, honey, and pine hops

Mouthfeel: thick, heavy bodied, minimal carbonation, very sweet with alcohol heat.

Drinkability: I loved this one and it is now one of my favorites from DFH. I have had this before the aging and the hops are more pronounced, but I love the mellowness from the age. This one drinks more like a great barleywine. I would buy this again in a heartbeat.

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

Credit where credit is due: DFH almost always looks great, and this is no different. The beautiful hop label quite fairly and distinctly lends life to this liquid hop bomb. The dark brown, tan, bronze beverage has a thin foam cap that sizzles to a dew-like web.

The smell is strong and sappy sweet. It's like this syrup came straight from the side of a tree. It's definitely got a medicinal, Pine-Sol sort of aroma...because it's strong as shit!

A simple sip suggests a regular IPA...at first...but then, I've got to wait for the swallow. I flashback like Ego in Ratatilloue to my teenage times sipping vodka in a tree house. Again, each sip initially seems so normal...but the small sip packs such a punch that I just about grimace to get 'er down. This full pint glass is menacing! I think my forehead is sweating as I wonder if I'm tough enough. The taste isn't average--it's probably worse--but the beer is such a novelty item that I've got to grade it up.

It feels like an out-of-control freight train. Like Axl in the eighties, it's loaded like a nighttrain. I take bigger saps--I mean sips--and wonder what this is like straight from the barrel. It stings in a sweet, sappy way. I shudder when I think of the YouTube video of the guy chugging this beer (OMG--the burp)! Though crazy shit like sucked me into craft beers like school skirts into Catholicism, my '08 bottle offers none of that yummy, enamel-ripping bitterness that I've come to expect from the best IIPAs. It is overly sweet.

Show me the man that drinks a six-pack of this, and I'll show you a man that needs to be hauled off to somewhere! Though that may hurt drinkability, this is such a neat, innovative beverage. Who would've thought to bomb a beer with so much hops it's strong enough to approach disgusting , yet market the beer like it's the holy grail for all we adore? DFH, that's who--well done. ;^)

3.7/5  rDev -10%

Bottle dated 10/5/09 consumed 8/31/10
I split this bottle with a friend, which turned out to be a good thing.

A-Poured into a snifter and its a honey/burnt orange color with a white head that dissipates very quickly leaving only a small ring of foam.

S-Citrus notes up front, mostly grapefruit. Its very sweet with a fruit juice quality to it. There is also some alcohol present as well.

T-very, very sweet. Grapefruit and some other fruit flavor such as peach stands out the most to me. The alcohol is very present as well. After it warmed I noticed my tongue was tingling from the alcohol. Also, not nearly as hoppy as I expected. I have had much hoppier beers than this.

M-Thick and syrupy.

D-Drinkability is hindered by its high alcohol content and alcohol presence. I am glad I only drank half a bottle.

Overall, this beer was nothing like I expected. The hops were not nearly as potent as I expected and it was bottled just under a year ago. The bottle says it can be aged for a decade or more, I would hate to taste a decade old version of this because the hops would be non-existent. This reminded me more of and old ale or barelywine than an double ipa. I don't think I'll drink this beer again, but beer enthusiasts should give it a shot just because its so extreme.

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

Aged since 2006

A: Pours a cloudy orangish tan with a creamy head

S: Smells strong of dried fruits and sweet syrup...very strong at the beginning but then as the beer goes it fades to more of an ethanol scent. I would have hoped that it would have mellowed out a little more in the aging process but the strength has remained.

T: Sweet and very strong.

M: Feels warm and you can feel the alcohol right away

D: Definitely something to have every once in awhile not something i would suggest but only for rare occasions. An acquired taste

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

This was bottled on 7/2008 and has been cellared appropriately since that time.
Creamy appearance with an off-white head, fully dimished.
Aroma - where do I start: moderate malt, grain, straw, not much hoppiness (not expected),raisin, cherry, and tawny port.
Initial flavor is heavy sweet with a moderately sweet finish. Really coats teh tongue and a nice warming effect. Very syrupy. Ovbiously one couldn't drink more than two of these in a night, but really fantastic.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Now, listen. I have been wanting this "living legend" for a very long time and being that I am a West Coaster, trying to see even an empty bottle in person has been impossible. However, I finally got my hands on some yesterday thus, the review:

I have to begin with "Exceeded all expectations" as I was expecting something along the lines of an Imperial IPA or a Double IPA. Wrong. This wonderful and, dare I say, magical libation looks and pours like a blonde barley-wine, thick and syrupy, with low carbonation and a fairly non-existent head (which I was appreciative for). The color was dirty-blonde, creamy, cloudy and mysterious. I was absolutely in awe of this thing once it hit my glass. Like you would with a fine, aged barley-wine, I let it sit for a while to air - but not too long - because frankly, I couldn't wait as long as I perhaps should have. I had to remember: this isn't a barley-wine!

It drank slowly or, rather, I drank it slowly enjoying every small mouthful. The carbonation was more prevalent on the drink than on the pour and it added a nice spiciness. It was thick and syrupy and the words "hop juice" came to mind while drinking it. The labor that goes into making this beverage was blatantly apparent and I almost felt guilty drinking my 120 as I know how much work goes into a batch of this stuff. The alcohol was prevalent but not overpowering - but I like 'em strong anyway so perhaps I'm not the best judge of this aspect. But you can't drink it fast, in fact, it took me about an hour to finish.

I have four more bottles and I will lay down at least two of them for at least 2-3 years. I can't even begin to imagine how great they will be then.

2.79/5  rDev -32.1%

A heavyweight extra in a trade with NewGeneric. You really know how to spoil a guy. Thanks heaps!

From a bottle into a snifter

Note: Drunk all three in order, so this was the last to pour.

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking white head that crackles enough for me to notice. Decent retention on the head. Slightly cloudy tangerine orange in color with zero carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a thin wisp and a ring that remain until the end and leave a few dots of lace down the glass. Very similar to the others in the series, with a slightly darker and cloudier color.

SMELL: Very similar to the others in the Minute series, except there's a nose burning amount of booze that likes to singe your nose hairs. Some pale malts, sweet pineapple and citrus notes are in there as well, but the alcohol is just too abrasive. Soapy industrial cleaner and chemical washing powder seem to push their way to the forefront here. Unnecessary.

TASTE: Much different than the others in the series, but not really DIPA like. Pale malts are there, as well as sweet melon and candy notes. Caramel malts and acidic hop resin make an appearance as well. Overall, this is quite sweet. Some pine and bitter hops at the end, but the sweetness and booze overpower. It's not quite as boozy as the nose had prepared me for though, which was a welcome surprise. No real industrial cleaner or anything. Sweet candy and boozy aftertaste is big, bold and long lasting. This is more like a geared up barely wine than a DIPA, and I guess it isn't bad if we think of it as such.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. Not creamy per se, but goes down surprisingly smooth without as big of a burn as I'd expected, and finishes quite oily and mouth-coating.

OVERALL: Certainly an extreme beer to say the least, even if I'd guess that this batch probably didn't get up to the 18% listed on the site. Nevertheless, this was an awesome brew to try and it was a lot of fun to do all three of the Minute series back to back to back. It was actually surprsingly drinkable for what it was. That said, this was my least favorite of the three, as it's simply too boozy and malty sweet for a DIPA. I am, however, forever grateful I had the chance to try it. Thanks a lot NewGeneric for making this one happen for me.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Nice copper color when poured into my glass. Thin head that dissipates quickly and leaves decent lacing. It almost looked like syrup when it was being poured from the bottle to the glass.

S - Smell like sweet candy, caramel, pine, and grapefruit. I was hoping for a stronger hop aroma, but overall it is still pleasing.

T - A lot of pine right up front, but also a candy-like sweetness that is not often experienced. Grapefruit and a hint of orange, and then a slight bit of alcohol as it mellows into its malty finish.

M - This one has some body to it, but it is still nice and creamy.

D - This is a great beer to try once in a while or share with a fellow beer lover.

I look forward to trying this beer as fresh as possible when the next batch comes out. This one was over a year old and although I did enjoy it, it didn't really wow me as I had hoped.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Special thanks to Robtobfest for this!
12oz poured into a snifter. (No bottling date)

A- Very hazy copper/straw color. Half finger off white head that settled to a tiny cloud of bubbles in the middle of my glass. Decent lacing. As I'm staring at my glass I can't get over the fact that it looks like I'm about to drink a glass of butterscotch syrup.

S- The alcohol does peak through but not as much as I was expecting. Grapefruit, pine, strong hop oils, sweet candy and hearty malt nose.

T- Pine right off the bat, sweet candy as it settles on your tonge, orange peel, pineapple, mild alcohol as the beer starts to warm. The hops do a good job at cutting through the alcohol IMO.

M- Creamy, smooth, sticky on the lips and a slight alcohol burn/warming feeling as you swallow.

D- Each sip was exciting and magical. I do put emphasis on the word "sip" this is something to be truly enjoyed at a slow pace.

I have to say after having a WWS and feeling sickened about how strong the alcohol came through in the nose and taste I was a little hesitant to try this. but I must say this really blew me away I enjoyed every sip of it and can't wait for August's batch to come my way to try one as fresh as possible.

2.49/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

The big boy...the 120

A-Orange in color with a standard head. Looks thick. Also looks intimidating considering this freak is nearly 20% alcohol.

S-A tit load of alcohol in the scent. Really sweet/malty smell hiding behind the big alcohol smell. Not a lot of hops going into the schnoz.

T-Once the liquid enters my mouth I begin to frown. The shocking amount of booze transitions into a violently malty drink. Not a hoppy beer by any means. Incredibly rich but incredibly unsatisfying.

M-Syrup. Rich Syrup. Sticky and sweet. The booze clings to your tongue.

D- Well, any beer that is 18% will not be very drinkable to me. That being said, I had a hard time throwing back one bottle of this. Sweet honey booze bomb. Not my style.

Won't shell out 10 bucks for this again. Laughing at the fact this this is supposed to be some kind of DIPA.

2.58/5  rDev -37.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.
Pours a hazy amber orange with a smallish head which dissolves into a thin coating. Lacing is probably good considering the ABV. Nose is alcohol, caramel and some citrus - mango, grapefruit, apricots, cherries, and dark fruit. Taste is VERY sweet and boozy. This is an IPA? Raisin, plum, sweet malts and the alcohol burn completely overpowered any hops for me. Mouthfeel is relatively heavy, creamy, and very syrupy. This is much too sweet and boozy for me. It certainly is a unique offering but I will take the 60 and 90 minute over this any day. Here's hoping the 2010 version makes a LOT of changes...

Poured into a Delirium Tremens Tulip. Thanks to BrewerDan23 for a year aged bottle.

Dark gold in color, but zero light coming through. One finger white head. Dies down to a tight layer of foam on top. Really impressive for the abv.

Smells of...? I want to say blueberries, and raspberries. I made my sober gf smell it she said vinegar, and you know what she's right (at least when you take big whiffs of it). Very weird. Hints of sweet malts.

Tastes of sweet honey, balsamic vinegar, blueberries, raspberries, and grassy/leafy/resin bitter hops.

Thick, syrupy, medium-low carbonation. Quite hot.

Not super easy to drink, but good considering the abv.

2.64/5  rDev -35.8%

I bought two bottles of this beer before going away for 6 months. Upon my return I was ecstatic to finally try this beer after I had only been drinking Chinese beers whilst in Beijing. On retrospect, I wish I had drank one of the bottles fresh and now I plan on having another without aging. After pouring into a pint glass, I first noticed the smell; incredibly boozy and apricot-y with a slight tinge of hops. The next thing I found was the deep orange/yellow and incredibly beautiful colored beer that sat below the white one fingered head. I was getting excited, even if I thought it smelled slightly too boozy.

As I brought my nose to the glass, the booze came out more than ever and I began to get nervous. When the beer hit my mouth, I found my fears came true and was brought to dismay. Thick, sticky sweet, and incredibly boozy were the first thoughts to come to mind. I stared at the empty bottle on the table just to double check that this is an IPA. The lack of hoppy-ness in the beer was so disappointing, it was more malty and boozy than anything. So much so that the subtle citrus fruit flavors were barely found. What a disappointment.

Halfway through the glass it wasn't the boozy-ness that was bothering me so much but rather the thick mouthfeel and sweetness. It felt like I was drinking alcohol soaked corn syrup. But gosh, was the lacing and retention wonderful looking on my glass.

An interesting take on the IPA for sure, but not what I have come to expect from one. I found myself thinking that perhaps this is what the beer tasted like on the old ships sailing to India.
...and it sure is more interesting than Yanjing or Tsingtao!

3.68/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Surprisingly my usual pour leads to a decent sized parchment head that is quite creamy and has decent staying power. The beer itself is a fiery orange amber that looks dangerous. The aroma tells me this must be a pretty fresh bottle. It is malty for sure, but I am able to pick out a nice orange, grapefruit, apricot and sweet flowery hop bouquet as well. I've had this beer several times, and every time I seem to take something different away from the experience. It is extremely sweet with a very sugar cookie like pale malt profile. The hops are much less prominent than in the aroma, but I am still detecting the classic "minute" hop profile that this shares with its smaller siblings. Candied orange, apricot, pine and cidery sweetness. If this was a hoppy barley wine, it would be great, but for a triple IPA, not quite enough punch. If the ABV was toned down a bit I think this would be a real winner through and through. The body is full and thick, fairly syrupy really, with a finish that is a bit on the sticky icky side, but could be much worse. I just realized that I keep having to remind myself that this thing has a near 20% ABV. It is hot without a doubt, but not as hot as one would expect. This is a sipper and not all that drinkable, but I always welcome the chance to share a bottle with a friend.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer poured beautifully and smelled great. The smell was ultra hoppy with some appricot. The mouthfeel was about the same as the smell, but the drink was a bit too much for my liking, but everything that I heard the beer would be, so A for this brew!

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

After something of a beer review hiatus, I am back to comment on Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, having purchased a bottle at a specialty beer store in Worcester, MA. There seems to be a lot of hype surrounding this beer, centered on the sheer "bigness" of it, but I'm not going to let that get in the way of an objective review. I'll start by saying though I have read others' reviews, I really don't know what to expect here, and I aim to review with a 'clean slate.'

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: One-finger off-white head. Pours a very rich amber, a similar color to 90 Minute, and looks harmless enough! Very clingy lacing from what I can tell at first.

Smell: I could smell this one immediately upon opening the bottle. Smells a little like brandy from a distance of about a foot or so, with a definite sugary sweetness. Upon closer sniff, the aroma is really quite pleasant. Citrusy, piney hops are there, making this smell like a beefed up 90 Minute. The alcohol is also there, however, and will not be ignored in the nose.

Taste: Oh man, this tastes pretty incredible...Syrupy sweet and only burns a little bit on the way down. As complex as I had hoped, featuring notes of orange and a caramel maltiness (a surprise considering this was only brewed in February). The hoppiness is simply overshadowed by the sweetness, therefore it doesn't seem as hoppy as, say, Victory Hop Wallop. My sister says it 'tastes like ham.'

Mouthfeel: I feel like I need to brush my teeth after drinking this, for sure.

Drinkability: Actually more concerned about the 120 IBUs than the 18% ABV. That said, it goes down easily, albeit slowly. The alcohol is masked well. This is, without a doubt, a sipper, but for me wasn't a chore to finish (except for the last 2 or 3 sips). Ideal for sharing because of the strength AND because of the greatness...

Notes: Glad I saved this meal-in-itself for after dinner (there aren't many beers out there of which a single 12-oz bottle would concern me as regards calories, but this one certainly qualifies as such). I've read (on the internet and on the bottle itself) that this beer ages particularly well. Most IPAs I try to drink as fresh as possible, but this could be an exception. If there is a way to bring out the complexities of this brew, and a way to tame it a bit, then that's exactly what I want to do. Simpler than its ultra-strong DFH counterpart, World Wide Stout, it's not so elusive to me; it doesn't hide behind anything. And unlike World Wide Stout, which costs a great deal more, I WILL be buying this again, probably soon!

1.5/5  rDev -63.5%

Shared by a roommate that wanted to give this one a try. 12oz bottle (not sure of the vintage). 4oz. pour into a snifter.

A: Healthy pour yields a 1 finger semi-fine white head with decent retention. Beer is a clear, pinkish-peach. Lacing is ringed and patchy with decent stick.

S: Vinegar and booze with the former being (unbelievably) more prominent than the later. Oh yeah, there's a bit of near undetectable citrus hops in the back.

T: Holy shit. A booze bomb all the way. This is more of a barleywine than an IPA. Alchohol is pervasive and vinegary characteristic makes me wanna puke. Hops are barely detectable, just like any other flavors that might've been present. Super sweet also with no hop bitterness. Finish is more of the same with an oily, boozy, sugary aftertaste that just won't go away.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation and oily in the mouth. No liveliness like I expect from an IPA, however it is a bit coarse around the edges. Finish is messy and aftertaste lingers.

D: I don't know how this is categorized as an IPA and not straight vinegar. Sour from the nose to the mouth but the sad thing is, I can barely get the sourness in the taste because its covered by the immense alcohol. Don't waste your money. I'm glad this was shared because if I had it myself, I would've sipped about an ounce and drain-poured the rest. DFH makes a line of great IPAs with their 60, 75, and 90 minute beers. However, for me, this is definitely the odd man out. Its horrible.

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

Fantastic. Buy a handful every year and cellar them. The verticals of these are so fun to drink, but be sure to share with friends. One of the baddest IPA's on the market. Huge floral hop that mellows over time. Give it a year and the powerful sweet malt begins to surface. Evolves in character and complexity creating an exciting experience every time I pull one out of the cellar.

4.07/5  rDev -1%

In honor of having this brew post ACBF Session 2 on Saturday with a couple of buddies I would like to compose the following sonnet:

A crown both small and off-white,
Legs that stick like pants to skin in the humid summer heat,
Tangerine orange mixes with strawberry red and lemon yellow; a hue with clarity and might.
Wafting volatility of stewed prunes, peaches, baked apples, and apricots, that by chance meet.

A fortified brew with alcohol conspicuously bold in bouquet,
with caramel butter drizzled golden rum raisin buns,
A syrupy, full-bodied honey sweetness on the tongue does weigh,
fruity honeydew melon and dried apricot flavor by the tons.

The alcohol warmth enshrouds the taste,
but gently like a blanket to a new born.
A fruity, cloyingly sugared flavor must be embraced.
However barely any perceived bitterness I must warn.

A residual sugar weighted down winy schnapps brew,
enjoyable in small portion for too much and you're through.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

(reviewed from notes) Dark golden color with a significant amount of lacing on the glass. When tasting, the main thing I noticed was how syrupy and thick it was, but it did not taste anywhere near as hoppy as most imperial IPAs, it was actually fairly balanced. It was still overwhelming in other ways, and the high ABV certainly made itself known both through the alcoholic taste and the buzz felt when finishing up the beer.

This is certainly an extreme beer, and i applaud DFH for that, but it probably should be thought of as closer to a liquor than a beer. It is certainly not sessionable, and not something I'd care to have a lot, but an interesting and worthwhile experience nonetheless.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%

12 oz Bottled 5/1/09 poured into a snifter

A-Pours a clear copper with a one finger off white head that had decent retention and left a fair amount of sticky lace.

S-Syrupy sweet, a bit of booze, slightly hoppy, very malty.

T-Very sweet caramel and fruit flavors are predominant. Slightly hoppy, very malty. Very rich.

M-Surprisingly smooth for a beer of this magnitude. Crisp, yet somehow still slightly creamy, oily and slick.

D-Its a sipper for sure. And one is certainly enough.

Seems more like an English Barleywine to me. Certainly an interesting beer that is fun to try, but this will be a once a year thing at most.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery