120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,018
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

Wow, this is really a whacky beer. At some level it really is like have a hop flower in your mouth.

There was a thin white foamy head that formed then faded. Split this bottle so I didn't get a full 12 oz pour. Not sure you'd want to drink an entire 12 oz bottle.. This beer was made for sharing. Bright golden amber with excellent clarity. Really a nice looking beer. No lacing or visible carbonation.

Aroma was huge and of pine & citrus. As if you were snorting hop pellets.

This really is an extreme beer. As huge as the flavor was, I was impressed with the balance. Huge sweetness and equally huge hop bitterness. Apricot, Melon/cantelope and honey flavors. Towards the end, some deep pine resin notes.

Syrup like and thick. Big doesn't begin to describe this.

It's very interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want an entire bottle for myself. At some level I guess this is a statement about it's drinkability.

Buy one to share. I have another and I'm going to age it for a couple of years.

Reagan1984, Dec 31, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -11%

This beer cost me $9.57 at the local spirits store and it was worth every penny. The balance between the strength and smoothness of this beer is incredible and is deceptively drinkable. Highly recommended to anyone that has the 10 or so dollars to purchase it.

anthony120ipa, Dec 28, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Shared this with my brother which I would recommend doing. Pours a nice light brown shade with a big white head and a very sticky lace. The aroma is filled with a grapefruit hop aroma that dominates. The taste is actually almost the complete opposite as the hops are present at first but then the sweet malt takes over coupled with some notes of brown sugar. For such a potent beer this is dangerously drinkable since the alcohol is very well hidden. A sipper but a great beer.

Hokies, Dec 28, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer is the King of hop beers.

The aroma, and flavor was the best I've ever experienced, in the hop catagory. Very pungent citrus, and pine aromas and flavors. A little sweet from the massive amount of malts used. Very hot with alcohol (to be expected). At 21.0% ABV, it's not that drinkable.

hoplover82, Dec 27, 2008

12 oz bottle, 2004 vintage, consumed on 12-26-08.

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. Body is a slightly murky dark amber/brown with a small whitish head that fades fast to a thin film.

S: Waft of booze over brown sugar, honey and caramel malt. Brown sugar-coated oranges soaked in Southern Comfort.

T: Brown sugary-sweet malt with honey sweetness as well. Alcohol is obvious at the finish and hot down the gulley. Finishes with a rounded sweetness and heat. But, there's a semi-dry hoppiness that cleanses the palate a bit, a hint of grapefruit, maybe, allowing you to avoid cloying sweetness. It's not very strong, and if you're not paying attention you'll miss it. But there's a bit of that drying there. Still, it's mostly sweet, with the emphasis on brown sugar and orange licquor (sp?).

M: Heavyweight. Slightly syrupy.

D: A sipper, but more drinkable than I expected, to be honest. Somewhat dangerously so, given the ABV.

Notes: This one is like an Imperial Barleywine, if there was such a thing. . . .

Kendo, Dec 27, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Shared a bottle on Christmas with a friend.

Pours a slightly cloudy deep orange/amber with a smallish off white head that leaves us much to soon. Smells of hops, no kidding huh? Resinous Piny Citrusy hops. Lots of malt in the nose as well, caramel, burnt sugar, biscuit. Taste follows the nose, first a hop assault of grapefruit, resin and pine then the caramel, molasses malts mixed in with a little alcohol. Desceptively easy to drink for such a strong brew. Mouthfeel is syrupy, Body is thick, carbonation is moderate. Wow that is one big beer! We both loved this brew.

johnnnniee, Dec 26, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

What a nice Christmas present! I poured it into a snifter and let it warm up a bit out of the fridge. The beer poured a very hazy, amber with a frothy white head. The nose is extremely malty with lots of dates, biscuit and brown sugar. The taste is phenomenal. This tastes like beer despite the ABV. I'm not sure how they did it, but this is quite dangerous. I notice a lot of fruity hops and lots of bready malts as I drink. The alcohol is warming and seems to keep you interested in the beer. Mouthfeel is silky and smooth and the drinkability is hard to believe. What a beer!

Maestro, Dec 26, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

Package store got a batch of these in for $6.99 a 12 oz bottle so I had to try it...

Pours a cloudy orange with a thin head, smell is very citrusy and hop filled. First taste I was not prepared for.. felt like a full on shot of booze.. didn't sit well with me. The next sip, and following sips for that matter, went down much smoother. Maybe I had to warm up to it? Either way, it was enjoyable after the initial sip of it. Was it simply amazing? I wouldn't say that.. but it was cool to have a beer that is 21% ABV and I would have it again in a heartbeat.

oriolesfan4, Dec 26, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -28%

After much anticipation I finally cracked it open.

Aromatic hop notes and a low carbonation level. The head within the bottle has a irreverence of multiple colors like blue and purple. The pour produced an red amber body and light white wispy head. The body was very thick and akin to cough syrup. The hop flavor was muted and overall produced a substantial disappointment. I was not expecting the camel flavor or lack there off. I was constantly reminded of cough syrup and to flavors which do not meld. The alcohol was very moderated and reduced to a warming after effect.

TubaManJack, Dec 23, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -39%

Paid $7.99 for a loose 12 oz bottle from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. Poured into a snifter.

Leaves a fizzy quarter inch white head. Opaque with cloudiness, this has a autumn orange hue to it. Great lacing.

Smells very potent. A fairly strong nose of well hidden alcohol for a 21% ABV. Some orange grapefruit hoppiness mixed into the naughtiness of this one.

Taste is a bit too much for a beer in my opinion. Alcohol comes through more, but is still pretty well mixed in with the grapefruit hoppiness. If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a mixed drink with grapefruit juice.

The mouth is somewhat carbonated. Rather bitter/sour after a while. Medium to full body.

As I drink more of this, I like it less. It is still crazy to me that this is the equivalent to 5 cans of Coors Light in ABV.

Hats off for making a DIPA that is moderately drinkable and 21% ABV. Will I be buying again? Probably not, but I am surely glad I tried it.

ibbjamin, Dec 23, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Holy smokes. This baby is INTENSE.

A: Foggy honey. Minimal head and lacing, just glorious.

S: Sour apple, hops and as sweet as can be. Not as aromatic as I expected.

T: WOW. EXPLOSION of flavors. AND SMOOTH! What in the heck. This is by far one of the most intense beers Ive had since DFHs Raison D'Extra. Sweet sweet sweet and no alcohol burn until it hits the stomach. Loads of hops and malt, sour apple (NOT CIDER as that would taste terrible, but imagine for a second SOUR APPLE) phenols and did I say hoppy? Make me happy. Oddly enough it doesnt ring IPA to me but more of a strong ale. Probably because Ive never actually chewed on something as hoppy as this. Not bitter at all, mid range smooth and surprisingly just above thin. Wow, no other way to describe it.

M: Very bouncy but it only compliments this brew. Ages well. Not thick and syrupy like some IPAs but definitely not thin. Perfect.

D: All I can say is watch out, buy a bottle and trust me, it will be more than enough. WAY too smooth.

Overall: If you are complaining or rating this puppy low due to "ABV BURN" or the intensity of it then you might as well skip this one and go back to drinking your Blue Moon or oh so flavorful Boston Lager. This thing was made for extremity not for the faint of heart. Confused? Did you expect for a 21% ABV to be light? Maybe you actually have balls and a tongue that exists outside of boring, maybe you should buy it and expect exactly what it is. All in all, one of the most creative IIPAs Ive had in while and definitely worth a try as well as a second buy. GET CRUNK! Thank you Sam.

AMoceri7, Dec 22, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a cloudy burnt orange. I laugh as bubbles try and escape the syrupy consistancy. This is going to be interesting. Smells unbelievably powerful. Stong earthy hop presence melded with an apricot like sweetness. Undertones of pine, alcohol and an earthy must. Tasting knocked my palate out of place. Very cloyingly sweet with a nice hop bitterness and aroma. Surprisingly, the sweetness is almost matched by the bitterness, almost. Tastes of apricot, lemon, pine resin and alcohol. Finishes quite sweet. Alcohol is very deceiving, doesn't hit you till its dripping down your troat, then burns like a scotch. Mouthfeel has very little carbonation and very syrupy.

An unbelievable beer. I'm not sure if i should judge it by its uniqueness or compare it to any other beer. I think i'll take the middle road. A fantastic experimental brew, but way to cloyingly sweet to even think about having another one for quite a while. The hops are great, i love them. The bitterness is nice too, just not enough there to balance the sweetness. Can't wait to try an aged version.

bum732, Dec 20, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -9%

Trying at room temperature in a dogfish glass (football shaped pint). Allowing to decant for a few minutes. Bottled on 11/05/08.

Appearance - Pours a cloudy orangish-copper. Nice thick head that manages to stay put for a good while.

Smell - Extremely sweet smell that I can almost taste as I inhale it. Can also smell the astringency of what I'm presuming to be the alcohol. Hints of orange and clove? Not sure if I'm overwhelmed with the stronger smells but I can't really place the hops.

Taste - Overload. Taking a second, wasn't really expecting that. Starts off really sweet but quickly evolves to a peppery burn from the alcohol. As my mouth calms down I taste what I would compare to late harvest grapes. Very similar to strong port and dessert wines I've had before. I never really am able to distinguish a definite hop flavor.

Mouthfeel - Definitely finds a way to linger and warm the mouth. Very little carbonation but seems good to me.

Drinkability - Overall an awesome beer, not sure if it's a beer I should enjoy all by myself (not sure if i should, but definitely will finish). I'd be interested in trying a again but after it's had a decent shot at aging.

chrisweingart, Dec 18, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +11%

GLASS: Tulip Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
BOTTLED ON: 04/17/08

Dark copper/light amber in color. Nice two-finger head of light tan foam. Very good retention and the lacing is nicely sticky.

Good hops aroma. Floral, grassy and slightly piney. Big sweet caramel maltiness. Light booziness, though not as much as expected as expected, considering it's over-the-top ABV. Big butterey biscuits.
Very sweet and hoppy, overall.

Mmmmm. Good stuff.
More like a barleywine with hoppy undertones than an IPA, really.
Notes of caramel and raisin from the big malty backbone. Bits of tropical fruit and hints of vanilla. Nice underbelly of big hops spice. Molasses mixing with grapefruit, sprinkled generously with various spices. An odd combo, to be sure, but one that I like.
The alcohol provides a nice warming touch, while not being in the way of your enjoyment.

This is a brew with a body that I can love. Big, thick and viscous. It coats the inside of your mouth, along with everything else, on it's way down. Oily, almost verging on sludge-like. Excellent!

This is extremely drinkable, IMO. Sadly, at 21% abv, or thereabout, most people could only down two or three in a sitting before being unable to function.
The alcohol content, while I totally love it, brings down it's overall drinkability score.
But please Dogfish and Sam, never EVER change (or stop making) this brew!
Truly excellent.

coldmeat23, Dec 17, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +19%

This is one mind-altering brew. Had it on tap at the DFH alehouse in Falls Church, I was charged $10.50. Cloudy bronze appearance in the what I think was 12 oz sniffer glass with a reasonable head of foam. The flavor and mouthfeel are excellent. Great marriage of hops and alcohol, this beer will kick your ass if you take a big gulp of it.

jsp2, Dec 13, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

a - cloudy. brown. fleeting head. Don't know how old this bottle is.

s - it's a barleywine. Some hops happening, but mostly caramelized malt. YUM!

t - wow. American barleywine at its best. Ethanol, warmth, STRENGTH, but *balanced*. Not a ton of hop profile, but this beer is REDICULOUS.

m - fine

d - plastered. Killed my wife (tyhe beer did) after some wine and Champagne. made me silly. WHAT IS THIS!? Crazy beer..

notes - not the best way to review, but this shit kicked my ass after a decent session with wine and the inlaws. fun stuff. Great flavor, but the hops were subdued enough to say it should be classified as a barleywine. I mean c"mon, isnt it?

Big ups to JeffV for this trade, I feel like a tool for not hooking him up with any extras. Karma to you bro..

jojox, Dec 12, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

10.99 at New Beer Distributors in Manhattan.

Pours a murky rust color with bright orange edges. The head is pillowy and medium sized. It has incredible retention for a beer of this weight and it leaves an intricate lacework behind. The aroma is extremely potent, I could smell the mighty malt profile the instant I popped the cap. Sniffing directly from the glass reveals a heady mix of sweet, fruity malts, alcohol heat and a side of citrusy hops.

The taste very malty with a strong tropical fruit, pineapple, tangerine character. An immense bitterness lies underneath the glacial mass of malt. Some pine sap and citrus hop aroma manages to show through the assault occasionally. The booze is alway present, but surprisingly under control for a beer of this weight. The mouthfeel is close to syrupy and mouthcoating. The finish is fruity and bitter with a lingering booziness.

This beer is something to experience, an assault of concentrated beer flavors that needs to be sipped. I cant imagine the amount of malt and hops they use to make this. Try it.

CAMRAhardliner, Dec 12, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

This "beer" is a hazy amber with an off-white frothy head that lasts and leaves excellent lacing. It has a heavy hop aroma of flowers, perfume, herbs and resin. It is heavy, thick and very sweet! Thick and oily, sweet and very bitter. The taste lingers. It's like hop liqueur.
(rated Apr 11, 2007)

yesyouam, Dec 12, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

1st Review | 05.16.08

The great 120 Minute.

Provocatively syrupy smelling, and a bit alcoholic too. Citric notes, almost like tangerine. A little zesty/spiciness. Quite a noseful; smells like it will be viscous. The syrup/alcohol smell almost takes on a rubber sensation - like latex.

Orange/amber hue, translucent, minimal head.

Oh wow. Not what I expected at all. It's insanely tart, and ripe . A sipper forwith alcohol heat. Goes down like motor oil laced with whiskey, sure. I do get some rich, dark whisky kind of malt and vanilla hints. A bit of hop bitterness comes into focus through the heat, and helps to tie down a tropical hop vibe. As it warms, I experience more malt and not so much hop. Dominant in the malt, though, is an over-the-top, sickly-sweet sweetness, reminiscent of butterscotch.

It's fun to see where a style of beer can evolve and meander to, given the freedom to be extreme. For my taste, though, this specimen is hard to drink. If you could brew the Elephant Man, this is pretty close to what I'd envision you getting.

I do get flourishes of that perfect malt/hop mix, but mostly I get alcohol and tartness. With all that hop, I sense no harsh hop flavors - something I'm unable to avoid in my IPA brewings.

3 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 2
___

2nd Review | 12.10.08

Nose is sugary malty, alcohol, and full of bright, floral hops. Strongest is the very sugary, rich, and malty aromas. Hints of vanilla. Smells good, almost very good.

Pours a dirty deep straw color, very hazy, almost fruit-juice looking, almost no head (completely understandable). Looks good.

Flavor hits hard and fast with strong citric juice, rich malty creaminess, and alcohol. First impression can be likened to a spiked orange cream party punch. Incredibly thick and smooth. Citric flavors round out with a nice tartness. Very sweet - like a sweet fruit rather than just raw sugar or excessive maltiness. Reminds me of a nectarine or tangerine, not quite orange or grapefruit. Mild bitterness. Tastes wonderful. Feels even better.

Last time I tired 120Min I was put off by the over-assertive alcohol. This time, I served it at frigid refrigerator temperature. I got a lot more flavor and less raw alcohol heat. Not the IPAest of beers; I'd like to see some more hop flavor to combat the beautiful malt. It doesn't speak Barleywine, but certainly American Strong Ale... Imperial IPA, I guess.

From my previous review: "if you could brew the Elephant Man, this is pretty close to what I'd envision you getting."... Man! What was up with my palate that day? Perhaps nothing; perhaps today I have an invisible cold that has immunized me to alcohol's nose-tingling effects; or perhaps I have become numbed, or perhaps this is just not the same batch... regardless, it is really, really, seriously good. It never once flashed up in intolerable heat today. I've had 12%ABV beers that stung worse than this bottle. If I had another I would definitely crack it open when this one's gone. Well done Sam!

This is a beautiful beer that I hope you will get to experience and enjoy. Approach it with an open mind, open palate, and perhaps a stuffy nose (if you're opposed to flavor of pure ethyl alcohol ;-).

3.85 | 4.25 | 4.6 | 4.75 | 4.4

MrHungryMonkey, Dec 11, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Had an oaked version of this on tap at Dogfish's Milton brewery. Nice orangey color and a suprisingly well maintained head. You can certainly smell the alcohol but it's not as overpowering as you'd expect from a 20% brew. There is a slight spiciness from the oak at the first taste. This did seem to abate after each sip, no doubt in due to the high abv. Very oily mouthfeel which I love in this beer. This was perilously easy to drink so it's a good thing this was only about a 6oz taste.

letsgowhalers, Dec 07, 2008

Ok, it's Repeal Day Observed, in our southern neighbours, and my Yankee ancestry is encouraging me to try something special from south of the 49th. Tonight that can only mean one thing - a slightly chilled bottle of this sweet elixir to share with my own sweetie. I procured it on a recent trip to impressively beer-rich Austin, Texas. I actually got to try this a few months ago, in the BeerBistro bar in downtown Toronto. A special order from the LCBO, I got past the $30/bottle cost (hey it was dinner, thank you Accounts Payable), and proceeded to kick off that Saturday night in amenable style.

Now, this 'beer' pours a dense cloudy apricot-brown, and looks like fresh-squeezed fruit juice. There is no appreciable head, just a minor reminder of effervescence, and no lacing to speak of. The smell is very strong, crisp, and hot, like fermenting grape must - it actually twinges my nose - and evokes raisins and molasses, and pine hops. The malt only seems omnipotent at first - there is an underlying citrus hoppiness that seems to struggle to make itself known. The flavour starts with grapefruit hops becoming more prevalent, holding the huge raisin malt body at bay only for a bit, until, buoyed by the alcohol, it washes over and envelops your palate. A number of warming spices also appear, difficult to discern amongst it all. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, and a tiny carbonated finish delivers a warming to my system that I had previously associated with port or sherry. Accordingly so, this is a slow sipper, lovely for a quaff with the pine scent of the newly-erected Christmas tree nearby.

My hat is off to those sensible folks 75 years ago who reinstated the law and the mindset that paved the way for a brewery like Dogfish Head to create such a sexy beast as this offering.

biboergosum, Dec 06, 2008

I finally found this one. Light brown pour with a thick, short white head. Huge hoppy aroma, with resin, wood, pine, and earthiness. Massive, syrupy hop flavor, with more caramel and malt than expected (or wanted). Big resiny character, with little to no grapefruit/citrus. As good as this was, it was anticlimactic. Maybe I just built up the expectations to be too high. Great, but there are better IIPA's out there.

magictrokini, Dec 05, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an orangey color and a thick, cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of foamy head and good lacing.

S: Very hoppy smell, along with pine, malt and a strong sugary quality.

T: A huge, almost overwhelming flavor. Sweet malt, pine, hops and a sugary aspect. The alcohol content is bracing, but the beer is tasty.

M: A high carbonation rate and a thick, slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: This is a tasty beer, but not one I could drink all the time. Still, a well made beer.

avalon07, Dec 03, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -22.4%

Reviewed on 4/26/08. Bottle. Poured an orange/amber with a surprising small white head and slight carbonation! Aroma of pine, acetone (aka nail polish remover), and slight grapefruit. Initial taste of super sweet malt, followed by slight bitter hops. A slow sipper for sure! The highest %abv brew that I've actually enjoyed somewhat! Still, it was a difficult beer to drink. An experience every beer geek should have, but I'm not sure I'd buy this one again. 6/4/7/3/15 (3.5/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 02, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

WOW! pours a maple syrup color but not the consistency. Aroma is pure malt heaven with a touch of hops, and the alcohol. Taste is malt, malt, and malt (like syrup) OH! did I mention the alcohol...WOW!! Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, alcohol warms your mouth and your body. Drinkability is average because you will be just shit faced!!

beernut, Dec 02, 2008