120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Served in my DFH chalice. Bottled on 12/18/2006 indicated on the bottle. Poured a semi-translucent plum color with a frothy, half inch, off-white/buttery-colored head that quickly dispersed into dense clusters of bubbles, with a dollop of foam in the center. Some spotty strands of lacing revealed on the tilt side of the glass. Huge, malty nose, definitely reminiscent of a barleywine. Lots of dark fruit (i.e. plums and prunes) and breadiness, with a suggestion of citrus acidity in the mix. Taste consistent with nose - wow, this is a total malt bomb; also getting some brown sugar and molasses in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a light, smooth background carbonation and a slightly oily quality. This is a pretty decadent treat. One will certainly do you; however, the alcohol is very well-hidden for an 18% brew. Not at all, what I expected in the way of a DIPA, but pleasant experience nonetheless. Definitely one of my DFH faves.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Found this at the local liquor store and shelled out the 9 bucks willingly.

A- classic IPA/DIPA color, hazy with a fluffy head that stayed with me for a while

S- hoppy, sweet, herbal, fantastic, a little boozy

T- imagine a 90m with more everything. The booze comes through, but there is hoppiness and a remaining sweetness

M- Not too dry, and even a little thick and coating

D- For being between 18-21 ABV, you don't taste the alcohol very much, the flavor is subdued and not overly hoppy. As DFH did with the 90 its incredibly drinkable and very satisfying.

I wish I had bought two, one to drink now and one to lay down, but I didn't and I didn't have enough control to save my single for later.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottled in October 2009. Relatively fresh sample. Poured into a snifter glass.

Thin white head, left after about 2 minutes, surprising for such a high alcohol level. Leaves a whisp of head on a golden colored brew.

Aromas of piney hops, some citrus underneath.

First taste, and I mean my first ever of 120 Minute, initially sweet, with a hop punch. Alcohol does not show itself in this one. More malt forward than I was expecting.

Mouthfeel is full, heavy, but not cloying.

Drinkability is good for such a strong beer. But logic dictates go easy, go slow, and don't session.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Received in a trade with hayesez. Thanks for the great beer. Poured from a bottle dated 02-09-09 into the DFH signature glass. This is my second bottle of this, the last one i had i few months ago was a 2006 vintage. I will try my best to compare them since that review was deleted with the site crash. I rated the 06 higher than this, as i did enjoy it a good bit more. On to the review.

A: Pours a golden amber, slightly hazy, with about 1/2" white head. The head does not stay very long, and leaves only the slightest lacing. To be expected from 18+abv.

S: As soon as I opened the bottle I immediately smelled the hops. Now that I am giving it a few more sniffs in the glass, it is more fruity and alchohol then hops. Peach, apple and caramel? Smells delicious, but not like an IPA of any kind, but just as i say that, here come the hops again... citrusy. If i recall correctly the 06 had more of a good cognac or rum smell to it.

T: I don't know if my palate just isn't that great yet but this one is difficult for me. It is not the hop bomb bitterness that you would expect. Very sweet... carmel, maple sweetness at the end. At first i believe it is from the malts, but the alcohol definitely lends it's giant hand. The alcohol is there, but not really hot and for sure not overpowering. I think the biggest characteristic the alcohol gives is the sweetness. I am trying to figure out where those hops went. Again not bitter in any way, i only get hints of the citrusy hops but they are outplayed by the sweetness. As it warms the alcohol gets a little warmer too, or maybe it is because i've had half the glass now. The 2006 reminded me almost exactly of Pyrat rum if any of you have had it.

M: Silky smooth, and more carbonation then you would think coming from a beer like this. I don't recall what the 06 felt like.

D: Wow... this is 18%+? Really? Goes down very easy. About halfway through it is starting to kick in, i think two would have made this review much more interesting.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

Celebrating my 600th new beer since hitting 21 with a brew I couldn't purchase legally in Georgia. Received this puppy in a trade courtesy JFFoodie. Thanks a million!

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature Glass at cellar temperature, 45 degrees F. Bottled On date of 05/01/09 is clearly printed on the bottle.

Pours a crystal clear golden amber with a finger of off-white cream that doesn't linger for long, falling away to form a nice thick crowning that leaves some thing rings and legs of lace behind; surprisingly more lace than anticipated due to the weight of the beer, but considering the heavy amount of hop oils at play, it doesn't seem quite so surprising after all.

The nose is quite sweet and fruity. Some citrusy, floral hops are present, but not dominant; instead, the dominant aromas seem to be reminiscent of rock candy, apricot, fig, and a rum-like boozy alcohol note. Recalls a well-aged barleywine.

Body is thick and heavy, though not syrupy, and carbonation is quite light, though it makes itself known. On the palate, things become difficult to point out. Up front is a dominant fruity sweetness, but the notes are mangled - perhaps some green apple or pear, though sour cherry or raspberry seems liklier; hard to tell, though it is tart and satisfyingly fruity. Sweet candy-ish malt envelops the tongue; bitterness makes itself aware just in the middle before a mildly herbal, somewhat citric hop flavor takes up the rear. Warm alcohol takes hold from there through the finish, almost burning on its way down the throat, leaving behind a warming afterglow and a tart, somewhat grapefruity, slighlty syrupy-sweet aftertaste.

This is one hell of a beer experience. Almost a combination of American barleywine and a fine single malt Scotch. It's most definitely a sipper, to say the least; In order to decipher all of the flavor components I downed a little more than anticipated and the alcohol certainly has a warming bite afterward. Time to sit back and enjoy the rest of this delight. One 12 ounce bottle is certainly enough to split between two people. I can only imagine the sleepy-headedness that the older, higher-alcohol variants displayed. I've one bottle laid down to age; can't wait to see how it changes with time.

4.07/5  rDev -1%

This one was bottled in November of 2008

Pours a one finger white head. Body is a translucent golden amber. Head retention and lacing are slightly above average

First smell is tons of hops, piny and citrus. Next sweet apricot come in and is mixed with vodka or some other alcohol.

First taste is of very sweet malt. Lots of diacetyls, like drinking butterscotch schnapps. Hops arent as extreme as in the nose. Resinous, piny with some orange citrus. Alcohol is definitely apparent in here but mixed with the malt and flavors of dried apricot and candied sugar, its toned down abit. Tastes like an aged double barleywine, if those exist

Mouth feel is good. Goes down thick and buttery. Carbonation is surprisingly lively for such a big beer. Head died down kinda fast but that was expected for this one.

Drink ability was above average. Definitely a sipper, took over an hour to finish. Very complex beer, one of a kind. Would buy again, probably best to share the bottle though.

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottled on 02/02/09, poured into a Warsteiner flute glass. This brew pours an orange, cloudy body with a thick head, but not much lacing. Right off the bat my nose picks up dark fruits, and alcohol, lots of alcohol. My tastebuds follow my nose, where I get a strong boozy taste but a delicous fruity one too. This would be an amazing brew if the alcohol calmed down, maybe a year or two in the cellar will do the trick. The label states that it is the holy grail for hopheads. I find that misleading as I could not notice an abundance on hops. This shouldn't be classified as an IPA in my opinion. This one drinks as a barley-wine to me, and not a bad one at that.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into pint glass. Cloudy orange in appearance with decent head, minimal lacing. Lots of carbonation. Pronounced hop smell, sweet/caramel notes with some faint dark fruit notes. Alcohol is very apparent in the nose but not offensive. Very sweet, caramel and bready malt taste with a nice warming quality. Lacks any of the citrus flavors typical of an IPA. Silky almost syrupy.

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

12oz bottle, 05 or 09/01/09 date

As many have noted, this is a difficult beer to review. An Imperial IPA, a barleywine, a STRONG ale?

120 Minute IPA is most definitely a unique, worthy creation by the folks in Rehoboth/Milton.

A: A typically clear, bountiful DFH pour. An amber tint with a sizable white head.

S: Peachy bread mixed with hops. I like.

T: Spicy is the second word that comes to mind...after sweet. But I sense the 120 minutes worth of hops. It creates the balance between so much malty, sweet goodness and all those hops. Very unique.

M: Feels like an exceptional ale. Coats the palate with complexity and wonderful carbonation.

D: Slowly but surely this goes down. I am having dinner in between the first and last ten sips. Opening another of anything would be silly - or a sign of alcoholism. Still, it IS eminently drinkable, both at 45 degrees and room temp. This is a brew that I would happily down every so often.

Bottled on 5/1/09

A- has a cloudy orange amber color and a very thin white head that leaves a even thin lacing on my Westmalle chalice
S- very strong citrus aromas, lemon rind and grapefruit predominate the nose, you can definitely smell the alcohol from the beginning
T- lots of heat from the 18% alc/vol, very sweet and citrus on the pallet, almost has a sourness to it, it could use at least a year or more in the cellar
M- very creamy and smooth, low carbonation level
D- not as drinkable just due to the high alc/vol, as said earlier, it could use a year or more in the cellar, but overall quite an excellent choice

(reviewed by Daniel)

3.05/5  rDev -25.8%

Let me preface this review with the fact that I am reviewing this beer as an Imperial IPA. This beer was consumed about a week after purchase.

Appearance - Poured from a 12oz. bottle in to a snifter. Very opaque amberish orange appearearance with a decent head that does not retain for any substantial amount of time. Leaves mediocre lacing on the way down.

Smell - Malty bread/sweet/caramel notes with a slightly pronounced spicy/earthy/floral hop aroma and some faint dark fruit notes. Alcohol very apparent in the nose.

Taste - Extremely sweet up front with notes of bready, slightly toasted malts and caramel that intensify even furthur as the beer warms. Hops struggle to make an appearance on both aspects of taste and bitterness although they are perceived to a minimal extent in taste as slightly spicy/herbal/floral. Closes out with a massive punch of warming, yet completely unoffensive alcohol and very faint notes of dark fruit.

Mouthfeel - Slightly silky and a little on the viscous side at first, which was not offensive. Becomes overly viscous and cloying midway through due to the excessive malt sweetness. Alcohol helps to balance/dry but without an ample level of hop bitterness, the beer continues to cloy.

Drinkability - One is more than enough. As stated before, this beer becomes cloying around the halfway point. Additionally, the alcohol content makes this a tough beer to enjoy more than one of.

Overall - This was a very tough beer to review. To say that it is an interesting beer would be a gross understatement. I am reluctant to stand by my ratings, especially on taste (Which I felt killed this beer's score), but as stated before I am reviewing this beer as an Imperial IPA. I was very dissappointed with this particular beer in that it displayed very little to no characteristics of an Imperial IPA. I was however, very impressed with the complexity of the malt (albeit cloying at times) and the extent to which the alcohol taste was refined. I would highly recomend this beer to someone interested in an exceptional barleywine with a slight hoppy twist. A bit of ageing would furthur develop this beer as a more traditional yet less dry barleywine as the already minimal hop levels would continue to decline to an extent.

A very intriguing beer that does not come across as an Imperial IPA.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Found this one on-tap at the Church Key in DC and had to try it - not often you find an 18% beer on tap.

Overall it was tasty, if not quite as delicious as I recall it being when I had it in the bottle (or especially when I aged it). Pours an amber with a medium head, some lacing. Aromas of strong Belgian candy, fruit, caramel. Flavor is likewise - strong Belgian sugar, caramel, light tartness. Syrupy and a little granular. Peach brandy. Overall, tasty and certainly unique, but not something I'd drink all night.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

tap to snifter.

A: Amber, minimal head.

S: Caramel, fruit, booze.

T: Caramel, syrup, booze.

F: Super smooth.

D: A great beer to end a long, hard day of work with. Especially as it gets cold. Really enjoyable. I wish I could put it on some pancakes.

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

So, at this time (12/7/09) i'm still a bit new to IPA's. I've come to love nearly every DFH offering i've had the chance to sample, with the 90 minute being a particular favorite of mine. Picked this 120 up at the local liquor place today, poured into my "Harpeth River Watershed" glass.. lol

A: To be honest it almost doesn't look like an IPA; if it weren't for the sizeable head upfront it would look like a barleywine, to me at least. Tiny clinging mini-head persists throughout the drink. Color is the classic english burnt-orange; held up to the light it's entirely opaque, giving it a quite "thick" appearance.

S: Fruity hops with a strong backbone of alcy and some residual malt characteristics; you'll have to forgive me as, being only a ripe old twenty-one my experience ain't that lofty. For ~18% ABV the alcohol actually seemed a bit subdued, taking a backseat to the fruits.

T: intense intense intense! I don't usually drink higher gravity beers such as this (well, usually nothing above 8 or 9% abv) and it realllly smacks me in the taste buds. The hops aren't too tangy to be honest, but they're absolutely present upfront; alcohol, as expressed before, totally dominates here for me, and as someone who isn't tooo into liquour it seems mighty close to a shot of somethin' or other.

M: This is where it starts to decline for me. It only takes a few sips to start covering up the taste buds with what feels like a thick syrup of malty alcohol. I hate that I bring up the alcoholicness of it so much, but dayummm.... this s**t'll rock your tongue. I broke down and had to munch on some leftovers about halfway through as the feeling began to get a bit too much for me, but it helped; having something else to balance out the beer really did cover up the intensity. I could imagine this being a tasty end to a large course, spicy meal.

D: Of course I can't drink more than one of these; remarkably heavy, remarkably strong. After 3/4 of the glass I was feeling toasty... Definitely not something I could wind down with, as there's just too much going on.

Maybe for the style it's a bit regular? Idk... Imperial IPA's aren't something I have tons of past work with. Just seemed over-exaggerated on most accounts except, ironically, the hops; like I have a feeling that more bitterness would actually improve upon the syrupy sweetness that it has. Also, I hate to be a pussy, but... too much gd alcohol! If this was 12-14% it'd probably be much much more drinkable and, consequently, enjoyable for me. Dogfish Head makes stunning beer, and this is no exception... It's just that "stunning" doesn't always mean "great". I wish I could give it higher marks, but it almost disappointed me in a way, just cause of the f'ing strength.

2.33/5  rDev -43.3%

I got this beer from my recent BIF trade, Thank you. Poured into a tulip glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A one finger foamy creamy off white head that has some retention. The color of the beer is a medium amber color with orange hues. The clarity of the beer is slightly hazy. There is some effervescence in the beer.

Nose: A very bright floral aroma, grapefruit, and pine. The malt is sweet with phenols and alcohol.

Taste: The malt is very sweet alcohol with a dim floral flavor with grapefruit and pine. There is some phenols.

Overall: The mouthfeel is sticky, syrupy and thick. The body of the beer is thick and finish is medium. This beer is a sheer disappointment. I have never had a DFH that was this bad. It don't taste like a DIPA. I am so sad to rate this beer this way.

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

I'd shied away from this beer for a long time...Dogfish does some interesting super-high gravity beers, but given the price and the fact that this one was supposed to be overhopped to the extreme; suffice to say I was nervous.

Long story short, this isn't a beer for hop-heads, by any stretch of the imagination. 120 minute is a sticky sweet, smooth drinking malt bomb with a a hop presence, but not dominance. I didn't get as much of a dark fruit presence as some of the other people tasting, but that might be shaded by my experiences with Raison d'Extra, which has a very pronounced dark fruit characteristic...this one just struck me as a malt bomb through and through, and this is in evidence from the first pour...huge aroma of malts. Very thick in the mouth (as expected) and what I would call dangerously drinkable. I had two in one evening. No, that was not a good idea.

The bottom line: Despite the fact that is part of the XXX Minute line, this is a beer that is recommended, first, for people who are used to pretty high gravity alcohol (whiskey fans would likely find some things to like here) and second for people who can appreciate beers that don't have all that much of a hop presence. I don't doubt that DFH threw a lot of hops into the kettle, but the sheer amount of malts present here drown most of them out. As a malt fan, I like this, but don't buy expecting a hop bomb...for that you're much better off going with something like a Founder's Devil Dancer or the like.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

On Thanksgiving I purchased two 12 oz bottles and me and my cousin had split one.
The other one is being aged right now. The bottle was chilled and than set out to reach a little warmer temperature. Pour into two snifters and was eaten with crackers and cheese spread. Which complemented it nicely!

Appearance - Upon pour me and my cousin looked in 'awe' as probably the most beautiful color appeared in our glass. It looked like the time right before the sunsets lighting up a wheat field on a clear day. The vibrant dark golden orange-brown lit up the room and that head topped the glass perfectly and was so thick and creamy.

Smell - It has been over a week since Thanksgiving and the smell still lingers. That sweet malty citrus smell, with the aroma of ethanol. I was already starting to taste it from the fragrance.

Taste - I took my final sniff and added a small taste and the combination was exuberant. Strong at first and then it settled and the taste buds went off the chart. Malt, hops, fruits, sugars, and then the alcohol, which is intensely notable, but not to where it draws away from the other tastes.

Mouthfeel - It was pretty thick almost sticky and very warm, and that head stayed around the entire time as it it was the gatekeeper protecting the beer. You'd think the high alcohol content would be an annoyance but the slight prickles on your tongue makes you feel as if you were five years old again trying Pop-Rocks!

Drinkability - We split the 12 oz bottle, and that 6 ounces went down smooth. Each sip was like a wake up call to my tongue alerting it to take in the tastes again and again.

Overall this beer was probably one of the best IPAs I have had thus far. I still have one bottle left I plan on aging, which I can expect to be even better than the one we had drank that day! I've never been disappointed by DFH. Raison D'Xtra will still be top on my list from their selection, but this is an excellent second!

2.4/5  rDev -41.6%

Recevied via trade from jfunkk79 thanks!
bottle dated 5/1/09 (6 months old) poured into a large snifter

A: A vigorous pour gives a surprisingly large head considering the abv which quickly dissipates, orangeish redish with a cream head looks like a typical barleywine

S: malty sweetnes and faint hops

T&M: Here is where the beer goes horribly horribly wrong. Way too Sweet, hot, and mediciny. Hops taste faint. This beer is a total mess, A perfect example of just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Though this might have been aged improperly or be better fresh.

D: Ha! are you kidding me it took me a few hours to finish this beer. I never really contemplated drain pouring it but I wasn't exactly looking forward to each sip.

It was worth trying but other than possibly giving a fresh bottle a try I won't be seeking this out anymore. Double Bastard is a similar kind of beer but actually tastes good.

3.47/5  rDev -15.6%

On the way home from the office I notice my throat is getting sore. I get home and immediately try and kill whatever it is with a few shots of whiskey and then look for something with more volume and a high alcohol content. Look at that.. a bottle of Dogfish 120 min IPA! If this really does have an 18ABV it should do the job.

This beer, even as I poured it, looked syrupy. It just came out of the bottle a little different than other beers have. The colour is nice.. a orange bronze with good looking highlights. The head is small and quickly recedes to a ring of foam. Some lacing is noticeable.

The smell is mostly sweet citrus fruit and earth tones. It's pretty good. The taste is strong.. amplification is bumped up.. and sweet, boozy and a touch under balanced by the hops. This is no hop monster, or if it is it has been beaten by the alcohol and malts in my opinion. The orange citrus sweetness dominates. If it really is 18% they have done a good job with it. My suspicion is that it's somewhat less.. perhaps 12-14%.

Mouthfeel is smooth, syrupy and sticky. But it goes well and I have to give the brewery kudos for being able to deliver such a beast that is still drinkable. Overall not a bad beer.. and I might even prefer it to the 90 min IPA.. especially now that my throat feels better!

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into chalice

Darker in color and with less head that I expected.

Interesting IPA without an overpowering hops flavor. Subtle sweet flavor to the beer and because of the high alcohol content very warming. However I would say it hides the alcohol very well in that the alcohol taste is not overwhelming. Like others have said it is a sipping beer that will hit fast compared to most beers. Very smooth and flavorful and overall I very much recommend it.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a bright glowing orange in my Sam Adams glass. The head is tan and clumpy and takes a while to recede.

Citrus notes dominate the aroma, mostly grapefruit. I am astonished how pronounced the malts are given the alcohol content. The alcohol is extremely well hidden in this one. Although it definitely has that malt liquor backbone, the malts still play out very well.

It could be that this is an old bottle (although I don't think so), the hops are not overwhelming. They seem to get lost in the overall sweetness. Aftertaste is sticky and malty, but not terrible.

Overall, great beer. Amazing concoction. This is a good one to share with a group of friends.

2.82/5  rDev -31.4%

Shared a 2007 vintage with some friends. 20% abv.

a- orange/amber color, very little head. looks good except the underside of the cap is covered with dark stuff.

s- booze. not much else.

t- tastes strongly of alcohol and little else. had a friend pour his taste out, but it didn't taste off, just not great beyond the alcohol. no hops anywhere here or smell.

m- clingy and boozy, a little warming.

d- not so drinkable, but not terrible for the abv. a sipper. would like to try a newer version to compare.

didn't age well although it was aged properly, i've heard the bottles are hit or miss but the tap is delicious. maybe next time.

4.9/5  rDev +19.2%

Excellent beer, however, at 20+% ABV, not for the faint of heart. Wonderful flavor, excellent feel. I typically buy this beer for special occasions, buying 2 - 3 bottles to share with a couple of friends who enjoy beer as much as I do. Last time bought was last week in Providence, RI - where I now live, took it down to Thomaston, GA, where I am from, and shared two bottles a piece with my brother, excellent time!

3.4/5  rDev -17.3%

A - This beer poured a copper orange color that produced a foamy white head that had good retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were not as over the top hoppy as I imagined, but still a good bit of citrus and pine hop flower aroma was present

T - The taste of this beer was too boozy, too much malty sweetness, and not near enough hops to call this beer a good DIPA

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium to heavy body with a light amount of carbonation

D - The drinkability of this beer is low, I can't see how this beer has a big following

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

poured into a wine glass.

A: Caramel in color and as expected based on the abv, very little head.

S: Floral hops out the wazoo, caramel and alcohol.

T: Sweet caramel, sweet floral hops, dark fruit - possibly apple, rasins and apricot with a bitter dry hop alcohol finish.

M: Thick and nearly syrup-like, little to no carbonation.

D: This is definitely a sipper, to be enjoyed as you would enjoy a brandy or similar wine-type drink. Similar to a good Port or cognac.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery