Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,144 | Hads: 7,520
3.91/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2013 vintage, aged at 68 degrees in zero light. Bottle 3 of 2013 batch enjoyed 3/22/15. After two years this batch is finally starting to mellow out. The first bottle was tasted in 2013 and comparable to nitromethane race fuel. The second bottle, aged one year, was tolerable but still very Boozy. Today I enjoyed the third bottle of 2013 dfh 120 and found it much more pleasant, in fact, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very hoppy, foamy white head, still slightly boozy in taste, but at this point no more so than your average imperial ipa. 100% improved from one year ago. Will update next year with bottle number 4 of 2013, and later this year for bottle 2 of 2014.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5oz draft pour into a snifter. I was surprised by the initial foamy white head, but it quickly diminished, as did the lacing as I went. Very drinkable for 18%, but a bit of a mediciny booziness. Worth a try, but at $1 an ounce, not the best bang for the buck in the double/triple ipa category.

4.7/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried this on tap at Whole Foods. Wow, very well balanced, amazing aroma. Very strong brew, one glass will do. Eveything about this is amazing. Not always available, must get it when it is.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

High- quality beer but too high octane. Once over 12%... it looses its definition as beer for me. This IPA feels more like a barely wine than an IPA... I think DFH should have quit at the 90- minute... which I would rate much higher. Not worth the premium price for all the other options for solid imperials out there. One-time-buy for me.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This review is for a beer that was aged 4 years. It was excellent for a sipper. I shared with friends and the non-beer drinkers also enjoyed. While still a little boozy, it still smelled and tasted fantastic.

5's all around on this one. Incredibly high ABV without tasting like booze. Crisp clean and refreshing. Be careful with this one because it is very drinkable with 18% alchohol

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I personally think this beer is best at under a year old. I understand how well it can age with ~18% alcohol, but with it being an IPA, and me being a bit of a hophead from time to time, I think the Hops cut the alcohol beautifully right out of the gates. I have had one fresh and one just over three years old, and I personally like it better fresh.

4.67/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Its was more or less Hop Liquor at this fucking point. I drank 9 ounces on an empty stomach and o boy...Great beer. Great experience. A bit of a let down? I expected 5 out of 5.

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle during a bottle share. I only got about 3 ozs and poured into a pilsner glass. Poured a burnt orange, amber color with a thin head that quickly disappeared. Aromas of booze, booze and more booze with some malt and hops lying beneath. Little scared what it might taste like. Turned out to be pleasantly surprised. Yes lots of booze with a little burn on the finish but a nice mix of malts, hops with fruit. Caramelized sugars are in there as well. Sweet taste that lingers on the aftertaste along with hops and booze. Leaves a tangy taste in the mouth. More West Coast IPA than East Coast pine tree. Still sucks the spit out of your mouth like all IPAs. But less than most. However, I am guessing a full glass would dry you out due to the alcoholic content. Probably the perfect beer for outdoor hockey season on a cold day or night. However, I sure as heck wouldn't be driving and drinking more than 1 of these beers.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this one before on the fly but wanted to take a better look since coming here to BA.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tall tulip glass. Hazy golden amber with thin head and light lacing. Incredibly tiny bubbles but a good amount of them.

Smells of sweetened medium roast malts, cirtusy apricots, brown sugar, and even a little bit of cocoa. WOW this has a lot of things going on. It's difficult even putting a finger on some of the smells since I will type and put it up to my nose and find different things about it. Really complex and not nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be, but in no way is that a bad thing.

Overall an amazing beer and well worth the $13 I paid for a 12oz bottle.

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light brown with thin white head which quickly dissapears. Definetly get a strong scent of alcohol. Tastes of fruit, hops, slight orange tint. The alcohol is fairly present and noticeable on the back end. The strongest beer I have had to date. Is enjoyable but do prefer 90 minute out of the 3 main offerings in the series.

If I was stranded on an island and I could only bring an endless supply of one type of beer with me, this would be the one. I do believe this is the greatest beer I've ever drank in my life. The flavor is awesome and the feeling I get from one is generally clean and positive. I think that sounds strange, but I believe it to be true. Every time I drink this beer I feel happy, whereas with some other beers (not all, of course) it can be quite the opposite.

I wish this beer was a person so I could be good friends with it.

4.07/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L- Very Attractive burnt orange, amber color. Thin quickly dissipating head

S- Boozy, tingling nose, nice malt and hop balance. Booze kind of overpowers most scent traces.

T- Surprisingly mellow in terms of booze, but still has a distinct burn and alcohol finish. Hops start mostly in the middle and stick through to the finish. Dominated by hops and caramel but still very balanced. Fruit flavors come forward as the beer warms and you sip (and boy is this beer a sipper). A sweetness lingers towards the end from the alcohol that works with the fruity tastes. The "fruit" aspect seems to lack a citrus/tangy flavor that I tend to like in IIPAs, but still a great flavor profile.

F- Chewy mouthfeel. Sticks to the back of your tongue and makes you salivate, which prevents the alcohol and hops from drying out your mouth.

Overall- An easy decision every year to grab. Enjoying this while snowed in and its a perfect late winter beer on a night where you don't need to operate a vehicle or heavy machinery. 90 Minute is still a better IPA in my opinion, but this is a nice and decadent and rich flavored beer to treat yourself with when you can.

4.78/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Knocked me on my ass. This is the purple drank of beers.

I can't do a fair review until I get the opportunity to have another one, but it was the best beer I've ever had. The distribution range is pretty limited, unfortunately. The 60-minute is also incredible if you can't spring for the alcohol content. But you can. I mean, come on.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Came across a couple bottles and snatched them up. I cracked one open and decided to age the others. Definitely in your face with the heat but I really enjoyed it. Can't drink these that often but a nice treat once in a while.

4.95/5  rDev +25.3%

This beer lives up to its reputation. The taste was surprisingly more mild then I expected a high content beer like this to be. If you can find it grab it immediately.

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap.

Ok, I have never had this and when I saw my local taproom had it on tap I knew I had to give it a try to see what all the hype was about. I am not an IPA fan. The only IPA I like is Hopslam so I was skeptical going into this. A/Golden hue which I was expecting. S/Hoppy and sweet. I am not too sure what I was smelling that was sweet. T/Wow! This was thick almost syrupy with a sweet taste. It reminded me of a Barley Wine and then the hops hit me near the end. The hops were not a bad thing like in other IPA's I have had. It did not seem to kill my palate and the hops seemed to be balanced. I think some breweries throw as many different kinds of hops in and load it to the max and end up having a bitter, palate killing beer which people love, but I think DFH thought this one through and took their time. O/ I will search this out again but at 18% you have to make a commitment to it :) I can say I was very pleased and impressed. I feel that this beer lived up to its reputation. Well done!!

Just as an afterthought I did not think the alcohol was too apparent but my GF said "It is good but I feel like the alcohol just punched me in the face." haha

Bought 2 , i guess late 2015/eRly 2015. Totally Lived up to the hype. I bought 2 with the idea of aging. Not going to happen. Cant wait for the next special occasion to break it open. Next friday will do.

2.83/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Looks good smells good. Going to catch a lot of flak for this but tastes like straight alcohol. Might have tasted slight citrus before it burned my palate.

4.73/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Picked up one with a bottled date of June 2014, so nearly a year old. It looked and smelled like orange soda. It tasted almost like a sweet alcohol, almost brandy-like, with absolutely no burn. I was at first just a little bit disappointed as I thought it would be overwhelmingly bitter, but that comes on the finish. Not sure if it being aged changed it a bit. But wow, like nothing I've had before. $13 bottle was pricey, but I'll be trying again soon.

4.39/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: It is a hazy dark orange that you can hardly see through.

S: It has a surprisingly sweet malt smell followed by the big hops and of course, the booze.

T: Tropical Fruits at the beginning, followed by the booze and hops. after the first few sips, it all blends together.

F: It is very carbonated for the ABV, its got a good body, not too thick

Overall this is a great beer fresh or aged. I am reviewing the newest batch from 2014. I would strongly suggest sharing this with at least one other person, its a lot for one person.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's nice when you realize that your palate may have been untrained the first time you experienced a certain beer. I recall submitting a post about the only beer I ever drain poured. DFH, forgive me. My best guess is that I didn't check a bottled on date when I danced with this devil more than 7 years ago. Despite claims that it ages well, I am digging the hoppy experience I'm getting from a super fresh bottle. One whiff and a bed of hop cones made their way up the nasal cavity. That intensified with the first sip, featuring multiple layers of citrus notes on steroids, tethered with a honey-like sweetness that conditioned the effervescence of the warming alcohol. Fresh baked bread, so doughy and sweet -- this brilliant mothereffer is one exceptional treat. Hats off to Sam and his entire crew. I am sorry that I revisited this world-class beverage with reservations. My palate just did a flawless rendition of Beethoven's unreleased symphony. This beer is larrrrrrrrge!!!

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Super aggressive and super fun.
start off with this beast, splitting it up with friends, will help get the party started right. = enter BEAST MODE 120
suggest you don't drink more then 1 and go with a session-able beer after this

2.9/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Acknowledging this was a 9-month old bottle, so perhaps the more identifiable hop notes had disappeared by now, but otherwise I'm hard pressed to conceive how this can be called an IPA. Incredibly sweet, overwhelmingly so, the sweetness cut simply by the warming booze. Perhaps as it warmed some acidic hop notes emerge, but they're quiet at best and do nothing to stem the tide of sickeningly sweet malt and booze. I applaud the novelty of it all and the effort to experiment/expand our notion of beer...but this just falls incredibly flat.

4.95/5  rDev +25.3%

Nectar of the Gods. The reason I gave it a 4.75 overall is because I have to drive to the East Coast to get it. I live in KC. Worth every penny though.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery