120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,155 | Hads: 7,599
4.51/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

8oz pour into a snifter. It's a boozy IPA in the vein of Founders' Devil Dancer. A ton of smooth alcohol with heat and hops, but not the slap-you-in-the-face hops a lot of IPA's strive for (and I distaste). Delicious.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a clearish orange color with a thin white head.

S - honestly it doesn't have a great smell. I mean it's a lot of hops but not complex.

T - taste is great. Very very hoppy and fades to a sweet balance of malt. Very harvesty tasting.

M - heavy bodied and medium carbonation.

O - very good tasting. Very powerful. Glad I got it on tap

4.51/5  rDev +13.9%

120 pours a dark hazy cooper color with little head. This beer smells like a plant, very hoppy. The taste is very hoppy with a nice dogfish head like malty background. I thought it was easy to drink butthe alchool sneaks up. overall a very good beer.

4.51/5  rDev +13.9%

This beer has intense layers of flavors from sweet to citrus to malty bitterness. After a few sips the bitterness of the hops gives way to the more complex flavors. At 15% ABV it packs a punch: It hangs pretty heavy in the mouth and has more alcohol burn that I expected. It is something even an experienced beer drinker may want to work up to. And this is not to be taken lightly.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

Wow!!! what a sharp beer. Just like all the rest it simply explodes in your mouth. Last time I reviewed this ale, I judged it out of ignorance. Today, I judge it from the experience of the 60,90 minute. Awesome, this beer should be brewed year round, just an awesome experience, it is like putting dynamite in your mouth with flavor. You have to drink it in sips, to truly enjoy it. Thanks to VwCraig for the trade, I absolutely have to get more of this ale. The smell of absolute pure hops. It sort of stings your nose. For the alcohol in this beer, you sure can't tell. It is sweet with a sting.

My last review was simply not on the mark, I called it horseradish. I stand corrected and I sincerely apologize to the brew makers of this ale. I want to keep this review g rated, but I have to state, this beer is orgasmic.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: bottle dated 3/27/14

A - Golden/Ruby colored with little to no head. Gorgeous color

S - Booze, vanilla, caramel, dried fruit, and a hint of oak. There's no denying this beer's similarity to a barleywine.

T - A warm booziness follows a strong dried fruit note which is further followed by a keen lingering bitterness and alcohol burn. This—and the warming buzziness that comes along with it—is the only hint at just how strong this beer is. It's incredibly well balanced.

M - Thick and lingering. Think of half and half vs. non fat milk

O - An extraordinary beer from our friends at Dogfish. It really is remarkable just how much care and passion goes into this little bottle. Honestly, I would rate this in the top ten beers that I've ever had the pleasure of tasting and a world-class beer that truly stands on it's own. I'm still not sure if I'd call this an IPA or even a triple IPA. It's more of a cross between a double IPA and an american barley wine. I'm glad that I finally had the chance to try this fresh. I've been cellaring a couple of bottles for over a year. Looks like it's time for a vertical tasting!

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

A: Very hazy dark amber, almost copper color with a thin and quickly dissipating off-white head.

S: Loads of caramel with milk chocolate, and just a hint of piney hops.

T: incredibly sweet and caramelly. Very mild and floral hops, not aggressive at all on the hops. Only mild bitterness.

M: one of the thickest, most viscous "IPAish" beers you'll ever drink. Very chewy, with a heavy warming effect, but not an alcohol burn.

O: A memorable beer. I'm glad they serve it in 12 oz bottles because you couldn't drink too much of it--but this definitely warms you on a winter night similar to a heavy stout.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

A - pours a very golden body thin-ish head which i would have liked to stay longer

S - sweet oh so sweet maly very hopy piney booze on the back end

t - malty hops oh loads of hops caramel

m - syrupy low in carbontion

O - awesome this beer is really too drinkable for its abv

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

I really loved this beer. 120 pours into the snifter with a large off white head. Very good retention for a beer with such a high abv. Has a deep amber color.

The nose is packed full of sweet caramel malt, spicy citric hops, rum like alcohol, dark fruits and licorice.

This is one powerful brew. The palate starts with a huge caramel maltiness, oily citric hops, black licorice and a warming alcohol. This is one of the best nightcaps I have ever had.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into a pint glass. I have a tulip, but I didn't have it with me at the time, dammit.

4.0 A: Rich orange amber in color. Quarter inch head.

4.5 S: Somewhat woody, caramel. Sweetness is there for sure. You can smell the alcohol, but not nearly as much would be expected from a 21% beer.

4.5 T: Hardly bitter, unexpected from an IPA. Sweetness comes through. Alcohol isn't overpowering at all. Woodiness very apparent. Otherwise delicious, very delicious.

4.0 M: For a 450 calorie beer, it feels lighter than expected, but still very rich. My mouth feels happy, but not ecstatic.

5.0 D: I think I could easily drink another and enjoy it just as much. For that and the alcohol content, this is an exceptional drink. One of most drinkable beers I've ever had.

I'd have to say that this is a great beer, but not worth the $9.00 pricetag per bottle. One day when I have more money, it won't be a big deal, but right now it is (college student). I would recommend Dogfish's Palo Santo brown ale if you want a high flavor beer that's less hard-hitting on the wallet.

Dogfish head seems like it can do no wrong. I've loved 6 of the 7 beers I've had from them.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer pours a slightly hazy apricot with a head consisting of a film of uneven bubbles.

Smells of a combo of metallic, earthy, pineapple and oaky hops with a little wheat and honey beneath, followed by a smooth and gentle alcohol.

The flavor is amazingly dynamic. Starts with a zesty sour that wraps around the edges of my tongue and the presents a green grape and honey sweetness. This is followed by a dry tingly concoction of earthy, pineapple, plumb and oaky hops. Finishes with a nice dirty sting of dryness

Mouth feel is thin but dense with a light and tingly carbonation.

I have to ask, “where did the alcohol go?”. DFH once again does an amazing job of burring an amazing amount of booze. Delicious!

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

I got a finger of head. Body was coppery orange. Lots of bubbles slowly rising to the top.

A delicious citrus bouquet with a little bit of booze.

The taste was straight cough syrup...and I loved it. A sweet combination of tangerines and mandarin oranges, it paired well with the alcohol flavor.

Medium bodied, kind of oily like cough syrup, but still smooth. Medium carbonation. Good stuff.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

Brilliant. Caramel corn nose and initial taste. With a year or two on it this is a beautifully chewy barleywine-esque beer. Huge butter and toffee nose with a smooth and bitter finish. Outstanding.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a crystal clear golden with a white head that fades to a persistant film. Smells like super sticky hops, very piny and sweet grapefruity. The taste has two aspects, sweetness and bitterness. It is dominated by the sweetness. I can't taste a single hint of alcohol which is surprising. Mouthfeel is great, very syrupy and smooth. Drinkability is huge.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Hazed red amber body. Light foam, more specifically the tiniest ring of foam. Has legs like wine.

A- Dark fruit and caramel malt, no noticeable alcohol or hops.

T- Very sweet malt flavor with quite a bit of alcohol. As I worked through this glass I noticed myself getting rather intoxicated and my senses dulled.

M- Medium-heavy body and little to no carbonation. No apparent carbonation, but there is still a carbonation bite. Quite warming in my chest as well.

D- So incredibly smooth for the amount of alcohol. This bottle was less than a year old and most of the hops seem to have mellowed out. My previous bottle was ~5 years. I'd like to try a freshly bottled one in the near future. As far as sessionable, nope, after one I had a very nice buzz on.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

i have been searching out this beer for some time now. i love the 90 minute. the truth is that this sucker nails you right away. the flavor is not overpowering but complete and balanced well. the hop taste is orgasmic.

from my notes:

A: semi-translucent, amber, i got a low head, greet lacing.

S: citrus, sweet, grapefruit

T: white grapes, grapefruit, perfectly balanced.

Drinkability: sipper

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

12 fl oz brown bottle; served in a snifter.
Bottled on 03.29.06.

Slightly cloudy, glowing light copper in color. Foamy, near off-white head that slowly pushes its way to the edges of the snifter. Delicately thin lacing with good strength.

Warming alcohol-infused hop resin; hop oils practically jumping from the glass. Smooth, cognac-soaked fruity esters: peach, pear, green apple. Creamy, sweet maltiness with vanilla tones.

Big sweetness up front: vanilla, honey; that lasts into the aftertaste. Liquid hop oils; hints of pear, melon. Floral hop hints and just a touch of pine. Very warming alcohol presence that works wonders with the creamy sweetness. In terms of flavor, reminiscent of a brandy flavored with maple or vanilla. Liquid gold to my tastebuds.

Medium in body; blissfully smooth and creamy on the palate. It doesn't get smoother than this for an ale this big.

If you're expecting a gruff, American hop monster filled with pine and citrus hop flavors...you'll be in for a surprise. The 120 really cannot be defined stylistically; crossing boundaries between an Imperial IPA, American Barleywine, and Cognac. Heaven, (and a hangover), in every bottle.

2006 Vintage

A: Poured into my trusty Chimay goblet. This beer was the color of hazy apple cider. Not too much of a head and some lacing.

S: The smell was intense; a lot of hops with some interesting underlying fruit scents and sugars.

T: The taste was massive and complex. The hops were there big time, but as appose to a big spicy hop flavor, it was a more complex fruity, grassy hop flavor. I got a lot of grapefruit, as well as almost a buttery flavor. I also got a little bit of cannabis flavor in there too.

M: I could almost feel the hop resin in this beer. Also had a light carbonated feel, but not much.

D: This beer was surprisingly drinkable, and the 18% abv was incredibly well hidden. I expected to only sip it, but ended up taking some sizeable swigs. However, I did take the whole night to nurse it, so I would not call it a good session beer by any means.

Notes: I really enjoyed this beer. More then I wanted to, actually (due to the price)... I thought it would be a one-time novelty, but I could easily see myself drinking it again. I did have a fresh batch and it was a WHOLE different animal. Hops and alcohol were much more ferocious. I prefer it aged (unless I'm in a particularly spicy/hoppy mood).

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wasn't sure what to expect with the 120 minute. Wow. Such a delicious beer. Coming in at 120 IBUs but yet so smooth and drinkable considering the alcohol content. Almost tastes like a barleywine. Will definitely get again given the opportunity.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

this was a wicked suprise. My buddy brought two 12oz brews over for thanks of next weeks dave concert. Taking this brew on is almost like armaggedon

A- pours a hazy darker orange look. The head disappears like a ghost. Almost as if it is so concerned with the body of the brew... that it retreats

S- tangerine, apricots, raisins and a dominant syrupy sweet malt scent. There is some lift of floral hops. A dominant bouquet of flavor crashes into the scents

T- this is a treat... seriously!!! First and foremost, sweet fruity themes enter the mouth. A twist of bitter hop twist in the mouth. This is so good

M- creamy, creamy

D- enough said. Takes the cake. Be careful

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

This brew is exceptionally great! It pours thick...much thicker then I was expecting. The smell is of strong citrus smells. I was thinking that this was going to be a hoppy beer with the way it was hopped and the amount of hops uses. However, I was very wrong. This beer is very sweet, and smooth. I would have to say it reminded me of drinking a semi-concentrated grapefruit juice. This beer is definitely a sipping beer. Brandy snifter is a good way to take it all in.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

Picked up a 12 oz bottle on 10-26-2006 from the Arrowhead AJ's for $6.99.

Beer poured orange with a pretty good white head considering its age.

Nose is wonderful, dark fruits, large malts, definitely the aroma of an aged barleywine with some imperial pilsner.

Taste is very good, dark fruits, hints of citrus, enough hop bite still left to balance out the ginormous malt backbone. Alcohol warming on the first sip but remains in the background with subsequent sips.

Mouthfeel is superb, full bodied and smooth, totally satisfying.

Overall i was not sure what i would get with a combination ageing between the beer fridge, the wine cooler, and my closet. It turned out far better that i hoped. Will have to definitely do this again!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at brews brothers

Appearance: golden orange and yellow with a 1 inch full head. The beer is dancing under the head, the bubbles rolling and rising from the bottom of the glass

Nose: Citrus and pine covering a massive abv that isn't really fully evidenced, this certainly doesn't smell like a 18% beer. There is a lot of sweetness here, it borders on too much, which is ok because its just pushing the limits.

Taste: Very malty and very balanced hops-theyre not so much they're own flavor as they are integrated with the taste of the beer. The lighter fruits are present as well, golden raisins and grapes, and there are maybe some cherry notes in there too.

Mouthfeel: Absolutely wonderful, like a liquer almost it is very thick and full yet it flows easily, the carbonation is present but again it balances the beer rather than trying to make itself known.

Overall: I had a 4 year old version of this last year and was blown away, so I was curious to see what it tasted like fresh; I was not unhappy with the results. I have to say I really expected the alcohol taste to come through given what other people have written for reviews, but I think it was barely noticeable which is noteworthy given the huge potency. For a beer this strong, this is a great example of the complexity and craft that dogfish puts in its beer. while its a bit too sweet to give a perfect rating, I would definitely go out of my way to get this, especially to age.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So I've been holding back to actually reviewing on this site, self conscious I guess, but I think tonight with this beer is finally the time to write an actual review. How could I not start with a 120?

A: Deep golden amber, thin white head that dissipates to a ring quickly. If it was a girl, I'd call it pretty. It looks pretty. Weird, but whatever this is an amazing beer.

S: Hops, but not the usual hop smell. This is hops packed in candy. A sweetness that is unusual in beer. This almost smells crystallized. Crystallized hops.

T: Smooth, sweet hoppiness. Not overwhelming at all. A slight citrus flavor, backed up by sweetness. I can't taste any alcohol, except perhaps for a brief hint at the mid-throat level. 40 proof? Completely hidden.

M: The carbonation is light, but it still feels like silk. Yum.

D: Could I have more than one? Yes. But this is something to share.

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Rust/amber/deep orange/almost red color, ompletely opaque and hazy. Only a small ring of off-white head with a few streaks. You try carbonating wood grain and see if you get any bubbles.

S: Big maltiness. Sweet smell, quite pleasant. Not overwhelming.

T: Very sweet, fruity, very malty, honey. Far less boozy than I expected. 18% ABV is arguably well-hidden. Not for chugging, but drinkable. It’s a sipper if only because of the price!

M: Heavy, sticky, gooey. Good-syrupy. Again, little carbonation.

O: It’s a great beer and I’m glad I found some to try out. I understand the price because you don’t find Imperials or Belgian Strong Pales at or near 18%, but my budget says stick with the 12% Imperials at 4/$12.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery