120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Reviews: 2,154 | Hads: 7,596
4.56/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle from 2012

A- Deep dark gold/red color with little lacing.
S- malt city! also hop and booze but lot a malt.
T- sweet malt in middle and hop happens in the back with booze. pine and apple in the front?
M- Sticky and heavy with little carbonation.
O- fantastic beer. I've been wanting to try this for awhile and I would say it lives up to my expectation. I'm excited to try 2014 whenever it comes out. I will surely age a couple like this one.

4.56/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my tasting snifter. My second time drinking it, first review. First time was on tap and slightly different, if memory serves. Pretty reddish gold color. Medium to smallish head which dissipates quickly, yet laces nicely. Wonderful citrus fruity/produce market aroma. Oranges, pine, lemongrass, melon. Big sip... Sweet, full bodied. First thing to go through my mind is the word Barleywine. Citrus, dark fruit and big brown sugar. Far from tasting like an IPA, except for the hop bitterness across the very middle. The back end is surprisingly sweet. Good lingering aftertaste. I found this to be more carbonated than what I expected from reading other reviews. Alcohol is masked well by the ABUNDANCE of flavors, but is HIGHLY evident as soon as it hits the belly. Alcohol hits you similar to a warm red wine buzz. Body is slightly thick and sticky. A good beer to sip and swirl, and it warms very well. One word description of this beer: Relaxing.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Tasted at my new favorite Chicago bar, Hopleaf.

The holy grail of IPA's, indeed - I've waited a while for this one.

The pour releases a sunset orange brew with a sticky, thin white head. From the first drop out of the bottle, the warm, citrusy, sticky, floral, fruity (mango, pineapple, lemon), hops consume the nostrils - it's wonderful.

The taste is equally as pleasing. The beer almost feels like resin - sticky, piney, but not in a bad way - and bursts with a wide range of flavors - the mangoes, pineapples, and lemons mentioned above, along with a biscuity element, a chewy candy sweetness, and of course, the warm tingle of the alcohol. Surprisingly, the 21% doesn't send my tastebuds running, though the combination of that and the massive hops profile obliterates all other tastes in my mouth (at the time, this included garlic, bleu cheese, and a heavily spiced steak).

I'm glad I saved this for dessert, because it left me satisfied, cleansed, and thoroughly impressed.

I can't wait for the next opportunity to bask in 120's glory...

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Being a big fan of Dogfish Head and their IPAs in general, I wish I could have this beer more often, but it usually sells out quick at our local stores. Our neighbors and I had this when we came over for dinner, and the aromas and taste both put us in our place. This is an excellent beer! I have the 90-minute and 60-minute pretty regularly, but this was only my second time having the 120-minute.

A - Pouring into a glass, the beer itself is a light amber color with a solid ring around the top. The foam disappeared relatively quickly once we began drinking.

S - Spicy and sweet, with bitter notes in the smell. The aroma also had some Vanilla, similar to DFH's Palo Santo Marron. The smell of alcohol was faint, but there.

T - When you try a massively hopped beer like this, you expect it to be bitter. What I didn't remember was how sweet it tastes. There's very little alcohol at cool, but not cold temp (~55 degrees). First taste was sweet with some bitter hops, later tastes felt like vanilla and alcohol. Overall the taste is sweetness and some spicy undertones. Alcohol taste was there, but very low for something with such high ABV. Very good, but a sipping beer - drink it slow.

D - For such a specialty beer, this is very drinkable. The high ABV may seem like a barrier, but my friend and his wife both found it to be easily paired with dinner. Anyone who enjoys IPA should try this beer.

If you like IPAs, this is a beer for you, if only to taste what something with this much hops really can taste like. My heat is off to DFH for making such a consistently excellent beer that is very complex. I hope to have many more in the future.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Fantastic. Buy a handful every year and cellar them. The verticals of these are so fun to drink, but be sure to share with friends. One of the baddest IPA's on the market. Huge floral hop that mellows over time. Give it a year and the powerful sweet malt begins to surface. Evolves in character and complexity creating an exciting experience every time I pull one out of the cellar.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

I love my friends& coworkers -- a former DFH employee moves away and finds a case of beer. Remembering my repeatedly yammering on about how much I enjoyed DFH beers, she hands it off to me. 6 120s, 6 60s, and a handful of Punkins. Not sure how long the 120s aged, but they're the caution/exclamation point caps.

A: Poured from the bottle into my Duvel Tulip. A 1-finger head with a fair amount of staying power leaves a very sticky lacing. Held up to the light it's a deep orange/brown with a bit of a ruby hint in the background.

S: On top of a base of a malty carmel, there's a strong, but not overpowering, hops smell of orange and other citrus.

T: Ahh, here we've got it... Starts with a bit of that carmely malt, but that's just a palate to paint the tasty hops flavors on top. The hops open with that citrus that you smelled. It's followed with a piney hops, but what's interesting is the way the flavors blend. It doesn't feel like two separate tastes, but they move into each other. The bitterness isn't overwhelming, but it fairly well balanced.

How can a beer this strong not have too much alcohol burn? It's definitely alchoholic, and you can taste it, but it doesn't kill the flavor, just encourages you to savor it like a nice bourbon.

M: This might be the closest thing to a weakness for this beer. It's still good, the alchohol makes itself known through the mouthfeel. It's a bit heavy, but it coats the mouth well. It's not strongly carbonated, but in the middle of the taste, tied with the piney hoppiness you feel like you're missing a bit.

D: This is a toughie to judge on drinkability. Compared with your average IPA, this isn't refreshing or exceptionally drinkable, but with the wonderful flavor, and especially with the high alcohol content, it's remarkably easy to drink. It drinks more like a good barley wine, so that's what I'll judge it on here, in which case, it's exceptionally easy to drink.

Overall -- I love this beer. It's the beer that I compare great beer with, but with all the great beer in the world, what do you need to pay $9.00 for a 12oz bottle for. Still I'll save the remainders and see what happens in a few years.

--Thanks Sondra!!!

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

On tap at the Blue Dog Pub...
Appears an amber color with a small white head that retains nicely and sticks around the glass with solid webbing and lace.
Smell is of intense sugary malt with tons, and tons, and tons of hop varieties. I'm getting rich biscuit, bread, followed by massive amounts of pine, citrus, grapefruit, orange, pineapple.
Taste is equal to the aromas in terms of intensity. To me, this is really the 90 minute stepped up a notch but it's a little harder to handle due to the high abv and intense flavors.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, sugary, bitter, and bread-like chewy.
Drinkability is good. This certainly didn't come across as being a 21% abv in the chalice but I was feeling it by the end of the chalice.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Served from the bottle into a Great Divide Brussel's glass. Beer is at cellar temp and was bottled 12/18/2006.
Smells coming from the bottle are deep caramel and molasses. Pours a dark brown with a one finger head that quickly recedes into a very patchy lace. Beer appears to be mildly carbonatedas there are some bubbles steadily rising to the surface of the glass. Beer has a very potent aroma of brown sugar that can be detected at quite a distance from the glass. Beer goes down smoothly for such a high abv. Slight alcohol burn followed by heavy sweetness and a touch of bitter hops. The mouthfeel is full but not as creamy as I had hoped, but seems to be appropiate for a sipping beer of this strength. Every sip of this beer I take I grow to like the beer more. At this age of a bottle it has matured into a lovely very large barleywine and is would sit well with those looking for a very sweet and balanced barleywine that hides it's abv very well. If I hadn't known it was 18% I would have guessed it to be around 12%. Have not had this beer fresh, but would imagine it to be an animal of a beer. Looking forward to getting a fresh bottle and doing a side-by-side tasting. Overall I feel this beer is a well put together barlewine/IIPA that does what it says on the side of the bottle, (ages well.) Would give it a 4.5 out of 5 and will purchase again.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

The Dogfish Head 120 minute - behold, I too have witnessed it in all it's majesty. I had heard all the legends about this brew, but I felt that would never come across one. In truth, some beers must be sought after, and this is one of them. I discovered this beer with a few other Dogfish Head brews, nestled back on the shelf. I could see it glowing from the end of the isle. It hopped right in my shopping cart.

Later, I had it hop into my glass. The pour came bearing tons of fine bubbles that headed up on top of an attractive golden/blonde beer. The head diminishes at a very medium rate - a very comfortable rate. Parts of it still stuck to my glass at the end of the beer.

This is a very aromatic beer. With all the talk of hops, it should be mentioned that this beer does not try to enrage the senses with hop-overkill. The smell is very sweet, with perfumes and citrus smells. Of course, those scents accompany some hop notes as well.

This is one of those tastes that really grows. From the opening sip to about 3 minutes after you swallow, the beer will entertain every part of your tongue and mouth. It comes on strong at first - as if to let you know, "Yes, this is a hop craft, and we aren't afraid to let the hops shine." I have theorized that this opening blast of bitter/sweet hops is to mask the high ABV - which I never noticed during the whole beer. The taste gradually sweetens up in your mouth...going through stages that remind me of grapefruit and ending in what I could only pinpoint as an Orange Julius.

This is one smooth, long lasting flavored beer - and it goes down way too easy. I wish they were a little cheaper...on the drinkability scale, I could have had this beer all night...and even had one this morning with breakfast.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Wow. The beer pours a cloudy amber with virtually no head. The bouquet was extremely intense hops and a slight hint of fruits.The taste was of hops first and foremost; what I expect from an IPA but ended very smooth and relatively sweet. There was a bit of carbonation to begin with, but it died down after a few minutes. As it warmed, subtle flavors of citrus(namely orange) and honey came out, giving a very pleasant creamy mouthfeel and overall excellent beer experience. This was extrememly well balanced for 21% alcohol; you hardly notice it. If you like IPA and care to try a VERY strong, VERY good flavorful variety, check this one out.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled in small tulip.

Appearance: Pours thick (not quite motor oil) with minimal head. Very fine carbonation produces thin off-white ring around glass. Light copper in color with ruby highlights. Just barely darker than 90 min.

Aroma: Alcohol, fruity esters, raisin, pear, rum, dark caramel, brown sugar, over-ripe fruit. Malt produces a very complex sweetness that dominates the nose and the hops are very light in character.

Flavor: Wow, quite a complex beer. If one were to think about the flavors as you taste them it kind of goes like this: Very sweet, rum-raisin early in taste, alcohol burn, followed by hop-bite and then an alcohol warming sensation. Then the lingering bitterness decays to yield a soft malt sweetness followed by a final wave of hops. Dark toasted bread, peppery/spicy hops. Almost candy-like in it's sweetness. Presence of alcohol is dominant. Hop profile drops off as beer warms and the malt character comes forward more.

Mouthfeel: Med-full body with light carbonation. A surprisingly high carbonation level for this beer considering it's ABV. Bitter components are quite firm, but surprisingly ethereal. Ethanol burn warms down the throat to the belly.

Overall: Wow. Just wow. Flavor "play" between the hops, malt, and alcohol is incredible. Warms like a whiskey. Malt sweet is almost belgian-like in character but not belgian-dark (strong dark stone fruits). Hops play back and forth with incredible delight and doesn't completely destroy your palate with bitterness.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

12oz bottle in a snifter glass.

Appearance: pure amber with a thin head that clings to the side of the glass

Nose: flowery, light caramel, complex sweetness

Taste: insanely sweet, very malty, numbs the mouth with the very high alcohol content (18%ABV, wow), far smoother that I would have thought and not near as bitter considering the IBUs

Absolutely amazing. This beer is a one of a kind. The masters at Dogfish certainly have some balls on them. I truely feel bad for those who think Miller Light and the like are good beers. More for me I guess; their loss. This beer is well worth the $8.50/12oz bottle price tag.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a dark, almost ruby-amber with almost no head. The aroma is an explosion of fruity hops and booze. Everything about this beer on paper should make for an unbalanced mess, but in reality everything comes together nicely. Hop oils, syrupy malts, and alcohol blend into a surprisingly easy to drink concoction. In no way should anyone ever have more than one in a single sitting, especially in public (I can attest to this!). This beer begs you to dare it, though, as it's so drinkable. Instead, save the extra sampling for a friend so they can enjoy it as well.

120-Minute is the reason I stopped using the name "Double IPA" for this category. Some people who use that name consider this beer more of an American Strong Ale or Barleywine. However, Imperial IPA is a perfect way to describe what 120-Minute does: extreme hops and extreme malt rolled into one fantastic brew.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

beer review #100!!!!

bottle into Duvel glass

appearance: semi cloudy orange/amber, surprisingly a 1 finger thick white head (aggressive pour), very intricate lacing

smell: alcohol, apricot, vanilla, earthy hops, minor citrus and grapefruit notes

taste: you can taste the alcohol warmth, obviously being an 18%, but it gives way to other flavors such as a surprisngly bitter herbal hoppiness, I can make out some minor citrus and grapefruit notes, as well as some other spices that seem to be present... coriander, some clove, and maybe even a little anise. The finish is smooth, somewhat dry, but wow this is way more dinkable than I was expecting, tastes more like 12-13% beer than 18%.

mouthfeel: not that carbonated, very full thick warm body, has the feel of liquor almost

overall: I was expecting a not very drinkable alcohol bomb, and what I got was quite different. For the high ABV, this was way more balanced and drinkable than I would have ever expected. You can actually pick out hops and the malt backbone and not just the alcohol. Dogfish Head took it to the extreme with this one, and it came out amazingly balanced. For the curious, this is an easy choice, just buy it. Worth the $10, will buy again on special occasions. You feel great after just one...

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Review #120. How appropriate. Thanks goes to zutmin.

Sort of a ruby orange with a hint of brown thrown in the mix. Great carbonation and a whispy white head.

Looks potent, though I already knew it was because I smelled it long before. This stuff packs a serious punch! Alcohol is quite present but so are many other wonderful scents. Huge hop presence, from pine to citrus. Caramel malts are also there and honey also adds sweetness.

Taste is crazy. It's a thick, potent flavor of enormous hops, the malts providing some backbone to this monster. A little booze is also present but actually plays well because of the resinous character of this beer. It's like drinking some hop juice with a sweet honey glaze.

Never experienced anything like the mouthfeel of this one. It was very warming. Not extremely bitter, though somewhat dry. But, wait...in comes a creamy, buttery like sensation from the alcohol like never before. Damn, this stuff is good!

Considering this is a 21% motherload of a DIPA, it's quite drinkable. I shared my bottle with a friend and we both enjoyed it from the first sip to the last. Not something that I'll be drinking on a daily or even weekly basis. This is one to enjoy on a special occasion and I would also advise you to sip slowly.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

the holy grail for hop heads.... i can't tell you guys how many dozens of beer shops over the tri-state area i've been to, to get this beer. i had to trade a fellow member for this beer but it is hopefully well worth the wait...

as soon as i crack the bottle a quick pop of air comes out and i'm bombared with piney hop smell, its just overwhelming. i can smell it 3 feet away from the glass after i pour it. has a cloudy orangish haze to it with a small head and mild carbonation. my mouth is watering in excitement..

taste makes me giggle. i'ts just absurd. i can't even move my fingers to type what i'm feeling. its like losing your virginity. it has a very sweet first impression. like candy, in the mouth it is very thick, almost syrupy, my lips are chapped cause of the cold weather and the alcohol burns them its so strong. i can even feel the alcohol warmness in my stomach and up and down my throat, its unlike anything i've ever had.... ever
small sips is best cause it is very very strong. back to the smell it is almost mediciny, compared to every other strong ipa i've had (founder devil dancer, breckenridge 471, dfh 90) it just blows it out of the water...
i literally could write about every sip, but i wont bore you all.

the mouthfeel is exquisite, i love thick beers, reminds me of the old ale from Sam Adams homebrew contest last year. very thick and almost creamy.

the only negative part about this beer (besides the fact its not possible to get in Illinois, at least i can't find it, is how strong it is, which makes it great. i can only have one, even if i did have more than one, i think after i finish this i'll be going to bed.

cheers and thank you lawyer3624

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Beer poured a deep orange with very thin white head due to the high alcohol. Very clear and very nice.

The aroma is of tangerines (from hops), malts and alcohol.

The taste is sweet and full of citrus notes, mostly tangerine with a bit of grapefruit tartness balancing the sweetness slightly. Lots of alcohol warming from the lips to the stomach, but not much alcohol flavor it's over powered entirely by the malty sweetness and wonderful hop flavors.

This beer is very thick and heavy. Unlike anything I have tried.

This is a big boy beer no dought. If you don't drink 10% + beers on a regular basis this will knock you out. I couldn't get enough and was disapointed only in how fast I was able to drink it and wonder if I would ever spend $10 on a 12oz. bottle of beer again.

"Holy grail of hopheads"
A: What a nice looking beer! A thin and creamy off white head floats gently on top of a rich and crisp amber body. Small bits of sticky lacing coat the glass.

S: Strong caramel, pungent esters, sweet hops and surprisingly subtle spirit.

T: First off, let me say wow. This was completely unexpected. I'll start by saying that this beer rates on the IBU scale around 120. You really have to taste this beer to believe it, but it's incredible. The first thing to hit my taste buds is sweet syrup and baked pear. It rolls to the back of my tongue with a fruity and complex hops...It's not even a bite. The hops are extremely pleasant in this beer. Ah, there are some great flavours in here. Raisons and candied apples mix into this full bodied and fruity IPA, in turn giving it a sherry taste.

M: The mouthfeel compliments the beer wonderfully. The carbonation is minimal, the bubbles are small, and thus the thick syrupy texture isn't broken.

Drink: I am blown away, elated, and getting a bit tipsy. I have a found my new favorite beer. I expected something far more volatile and bitter, but for such a behemoth of a brew it is incredibly well balanced. Surprisingly enough, I would recommend this beer for someone who is just getting into India Pale Ales. I'm looking forward to aging a bottle of this and seeing what comes out. In retrospect, I haven't been drinking at all for about five months. This is really starting to get to my head....maybe this is why I like this beer so much. Either way, I will buy it again tomorrow and I would recommend you get your hands on this peculiar and truly unique beer as soon as you can.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

This is one of the craziest brews I have had so far. I had such high expectations for a beer that I thought I was going to have, then after the first sip those expectations were blown out.

The appearance is a good orange amber color. With a strong pour I could barely pull off a one finger head. The bottle is absolutely beautiful, and the yield sign on the cap is there for a reason. When moved around the glass the alcohol just left a residue of pure silk.

The smell was just out of this world. It smells like fresh grinded hops with sugar. I could not smell the alcohol, but rather a booziness to the whole feeling. When swirled in a wine glass the aroma rushes in and takes control. Amazing.

The taste was nothing of what I was expecting. It has a taste of sugar, and alcohol, and light candy taste. The alcohol taste is not hidden, but rather accompanied by the sugar, and it just makes for an unique experience. Maybe a little too much sugar for my palate.

The mouthfeel was nuts. You could take a sip, then wouldn't have to take another because the flavor of the brew stays and evolves on the palate. Imagine getting a deep tissue massage on your tongue, that is what its like.

The drinkability is not the greatest for some obvious reasons. There is an alcoholic boozy aspect that changes the name of the game. This is technically like drinking four or five brews, in the same time it takes you to drink one. It is a little too sugary and a hop characteristic is not as prevalent as I was hoping. I would for sure buy another, but getting this one was like pulling teeth off a tiger. Amazing brew from an amazing brewery.

GLASS: Tulip Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
BOTTLED ON: 04/17/08

Dark copper/light amber in color. Nice two-finger head of light tan foam. Very good retention and the lacing is nicely sticky.

Good hops aroma. Floral, grassy and slightly piney. Big sweet caramel maltiness. Light booziness, though not as much as expected as expected, considering it's over-the-top ABV. Big butterey biscuits.
Very sweet and hoppy, overall.

Mmmmm. Good stuff.
More like a barleywine with hoppy undertones than an IPA, really.
Notes of caramel and raisin from the big malty backbone. Bits of tropical fruit and hints of vanilla. Nice underbelly of big hops spice. Molasses mixing with grapefruit, sprinkled generously with various spices. An odd combo, to be sure, but one that I like.
The alcohol provides a nice warming touch, while not being in the way of your enjoyment.

This is a brew with a body that I can love. Big, thick and viscous. It coats the inside of your mouth, along with everything else, on it's way down. Oily, almost verging on sludge-like. Excellent!

This is extremely drinkable, IMO. Sadly, at 21% abv, or thereabout, most people could only down two or three in a sitting before being unable to function.
The alcohol content, while I totally love it, brings down it's overall drinkability score.
But please Dogfish and Sam, never EVER change (or stop making) this brew!
Truly excellent.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

L: Dark candy orange color. The head is off white and it disapears immediately.
S: Very strong bisquity smell. There is a fiarly big malty sweetness as well. Grapefruit hops pop out right at the end.
T: Really sweet. Candied apricot sweetness. All other flavors get tangled up with the candy.
M: Super thick and syrupy. Gives it a warming. feeling.
D:Obviously a huge fricking beer. People will be suprised that it is not explosive with hops. Definitely a different brew. I love it.

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a snifter and received a real nice head that stuck strong for a few minutes. Beautiful copper tone on this one. Once the head settles out, a little ring is left and the foam just sticks to the sides. No visible chunks on the first pour but not completely clear either.

The aroma is very floral and sweet like nectar. Fruity hop tones come through nicely. Orange peel...

The taste: Surprisingly sweet... Fruity and floral hop notes dance with the sweet maltiness. Sour oranges. Fresh green herbal notes. A touch of cough syrup. Biscuit. Caramel. The finish is complex with hops and dries the palate, leaving you wanting more. A nice warmth from the ethanol on the roof of the mouth is there but not overpowering. The carbonation plays an important role here, leaving a dry, crisp finish.

Dangerously drinkable! This one was bottled just over a month ago, and is much hoppier than I remember the last one I had, which must have been quite aged. This one is quite hoppy, but very balanced with the sweetness and the alcohol. I am stocking up on this batch!

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Mahogany, toffee, pours very viscous, lots of lacing
S: Cherry, dry oaky, prune, raison, nuts, pistachio, almond, a bit boozy
T: Pine nuts, boozy but not hot, drinks like a port, lots of cherry, very sweet but not cloying, appropriate for what you're drinking
M: very viscous, well carbonated, drinks like a port or sherry
O: this is an incredible beer. it was bottled at the first part of 2011 and we opened it half way through 2013. having had a fresh 120 on tap as well as in a bottle I would say this brew takes on a style of its own a part from an IPA. We did not note ANY hop character what so ever, but many different types of sweet tastes.

All in all this brew is stupendous, which is why I pick up a 4 pack every time it comes out.

can't wait to open an even older one!

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

After giving up beer for Lent, I had to sample a big gun to celebrate being back to the world of hops. Poured a copper-orange color, white head that dissipated fairly quickly. Hoppy, fruity aroma. Taste is, well, like nothing I've ever tasted before. I can tell that it's got a good amount of hops, but it has none of the bitterness or astringency I associate with traditional hop-bombs. The fruity-citrusy flavor predominates, with a complex mouthfeel that is smooth, sweet, rich and hoppy all at the same time. The alcohol is incredibly well hidden; if I had not read this beers reviews I would never have guessed the ABV. Unfortunately it's price puts it out of range for regular consumption, but definitely something worth sampling for the true beer fan.

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

This is the beer that single-handedly opened my eyes to the world of beer that I didn't know I was missing. Definitely a starter drink and not to be tapped after 40 beers.Purchased a bottle at a local store in Brooklyn and poured into a glass.

Appearance: Stunning golden-maroon color with a thin head

Smell - blast of hops with a vodka/bourbon aroma

Taste - so incredibly intense. Hints of bourbon give it a whiskey-like taste.

Mouthfeel - Perfect IPA thickness (the only word I can think to use)

Definitely not for everyone, but everyone needs to try it at least once. This is a beer that you can't judge immediately. You'll be set back by the abrasiveness at first, but as you develop your relationship you'll have your ups and your downs throughout. In the end you'll be left feeling perplexed yet enlightened and wanting (maybe needing) more. Definitely a starter drink and not to be tapped after 40 beers.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery