120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,144 | Reviews: 2,130
3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

Now here's a beer I have wanted to try for a while. Barcade, I salute you, thanks for tapping this...

Appearance - Thick, viscous, cloudy, almost chunky. Looks a lot like old-school apple cider. No head, a thin coating. Unusual, to say the least, though not unappealing.

Smell - Pungent. Real strong aroma of paint thinner. Tangerine, a bit of hops, and a whole bunch o' alcohol.

Taste - Oh my. Sweet, sweet, sweet liquer. Tart apples, toffee, floral and citric hops, bubblegum, oak. A potpourri of flavors here, amazingly complex.

Mouthfeel - Chalky feel, almost powdery. Thick. Quite acidic.

Drinkability - This really depends upon your definition. Incredibly complex with a 21% ABV, versus a tasty and interesting beer that seems to get better with each sip. You make the call.

Leave it to Dogfish Head to not push but eviscerate the boundaries. 120 Minute IPA is unique, and a must try.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

12 oz bottle dated 6/10/2007, courtesy of one of the DFH employees (many thanks!)

Surprising. I was thinking this would either be too sticky and sugary sweet per the other reviews, or just a massive hop bomb by nature, but its something completely different.

Yes, it's sweet, and yes, it's sticky. But it's not overboard on either. Definitely a slow drinker, not a whole lot of aroma to my bottle, but the aging seems to have mellowed out the profile.

Much more drinkable than I thought. Some lingering hop resin on the tongue late, not as much as I expected but about as bad as I've had just the same. This was something I'd try once, maybe get halfway through, but I easily finished it, enjoyed the fruity and sweet nature, definitely worth another try.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

We crack a bottle of the 2011 stock and pour a rich, caramel colored brew. It holds a one finger head of beige bubbles, showing very nice retention. This clings to the glass as it goes, leaving a single sheet of lacing down the walls. Big aggregates remain throughout the entire tasting. There is a thick haze, but no sediment is noted. Carbonation appears light. The aroma is much like a Scotch ale or American barleywine. There are deep caramel malts, with buttery diacetyls sweetness. Additional sweetness comes from strawberry, fig, and pear. This all sits against a massive fusel alcohol sting, and some light woody qualities. There is mild phenolic bite of medicinals and plastics with warmth. Our first impression is that the taste is so fruity, and that the booze is surprisingly subdued, at least in the beginning. As we sip, sugary sweet dextrin caramel malts hit, along with fermented prunes, raisins, and sweet banana. The front is very syrupy, and big and bready. Sweet honey adds to the drink. The middle peaks with a bit of the alcohol, imparting a peppery bite. More raw honey continues, with the raisin enhancing, cutting back all of the other fruity elements. These do their best to cut the booze, but fail through the end, as a huge fusel peppery bite cleanses the palate of all life. The fruit stays sweet, but becomes more tropical, with pineapple sugars. Hops are finally present, with a light citric brush. The aftertaste breathes of more honey sweetness to cut the booze, black pepper, caramel malts, plum, raisins, and light lactic sours. The body is full and thickly syrupy, and carbonation is low. Each sip gave a sticky, sugary coating around the mouth and to the lips, which became pursed and puckered due to the booze and the sweetness. The mouth is eventually dried from the coating, as the booze evaporates all moisture. The abv is massive, warming, and catches up with you, and drinkability is certainly slow.

Overall, what we enjoy most about this brew is the boldness of flavoring, and how fruity it is. We were a little disappointed that the hops didn’t hold up as well in either the nose or the taste, but the fruitiness really did surprise us. There are deep and syrupy notes which really help to cut the booze. Even with warmth the booze does not seem as strong as it actually is, which makes for a tasty, sippin’ treat.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a hazy amber color, a deep color for an IPA. The cream head stands a half inch tall in my DFH signature glass. It recedes to a thick ring and a couple rocky islands of foam. The aroma is hoppy: grassy, citric, piney. Not actually as hoppy as I expected. There is also a light sweetness in the aroma. The first taste is floral bitterness, with a touch of malt. Next I get pine and syrupey flavors. As it leaves the palate, I get a touch of citrus and a lot of alcohol warmth. There is a flavor in this that I dislike, it's about 2/3 the way through, it seems medicinal but that may not be a perfect description. The mouthfeel is one of the thickest I've tred for an IPA, no suprise there, but the body is slightly lightened by a ticklish carbonation. This isn't exactly what I expected it to be, but that seems to be how DFH works, they make delicious things that make you scratch your head a bit. Okay, time or a glass of water, this sucker is boozy.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2013 vintage, aged at 68 degrees in zero light. Bottle 3 of 2013 batch enjoyed 3/22/15. After two years this batch is finally starting to mellow out. The first bottle was tasted in 2013 and comparable to nitromethane race fuel. The second bottle, aged one year, was tolerable but still very Boozy. Today I enjoyed the third bottle of 2013 dfh 120 and found it much more pleasant, in fact, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very hoppy, foamy white head, still slightly boozy in taste, but at this point no more so than your average imperial ipa. 100% improved from one year ago. Will update next year with bottle number 4 of 2013, and later this year for bottle 2 of 2014.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

I bought a single bottle a month or so ago, and just split it with a buddy. Both poured into pint glasses.
Appearance: A solid amber color that proved to be very transparent. A head that wouldn't quite, awsome retention, absolutly enormous, light tan in color. Leaving rings of sticky lace all the way down.
Smell: Boozy, fruity, sweet, hoppy, a bit of everything.
Taste: Similar to the smell, high boozy taste as it warmed, then turned more sweet and fruity.
Mouthfeel: A bit too smooth for my taste in IPAs.
Drinkability: I don't know how drinkable anything with 21% alcohol is, but pretty damn good.
Don't drink and review.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle in pint glass

A: Gorgeous amber/gold color with a thin white head. The head disappears quickly and leaves a small amount of lace.
S: Holy crap, this is incredible. A massive burst of citrus hops hits immediately.
T: My wife described this as apricots soaked in grain alcohol :) I think this is a huge mouthful of malts and american hops. It comes across as very sweet/malty at first and then the hops.
M: It doesn't come across as thick but, it is very mouth-coating. The carbonation helps balance the malt but, it only helps a bit.
D: Like most Dogfish beers, this is a very interesting beer and I am glad I tried it but, I don't think I will pick up another of these. In the end, this is just too over the top for me. I like most/all double IPAs but this has too much of a malt backbone.

2014 vintage, poured into a tulip glass

A- pours a clear amber color with a small creamy and foamy white head that eventually reduces to a small layer skimming the top, no lace left behind

S- lots of booze on the aroma, the hop aroma is there with notes of pine & citrus, but the alcohol gives a sweet aroma that mixes with malty undertones

T- taste similarities are very similar to a barleywine up front, sweet alcohol dominates up front, with notes of citrus hop and pine kicking in mid-palate, more citrus continues to the finish with more booze

M- heavy bodied with low carbonation leads to a creamy mouthfeel with a smooth and silky warming finish, lingers of alcohol

O- this is definitely a unique beer that is in a category of its own.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

This was the very first Dogfish Head beer I tried when I first began my beer tasting hobby. It took me an hour and a half to finish, as I was not prepared for the HUGE flavor this beer packs. It turned me away from Dogfish Head for awhile. That was until someone coaxed me into trying a 90 Minute IPA. I loved it and I have tried several other DFH since then but haven't returned to the 120 Minute...until now. As it turns out the problem was my palate because, damn, this is a good beer.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Peach tan with a one finger head that dissipates into a foam halo on the beer's surface. A quick swirl of the glass brings the head right back.

Smell - Alcohol - and lots of it! At 21%ABV this is the most potent brew I have ever sampled. It certainly makes an appearance in the smell. I also smell caramel and hops. Overall, it smells very rich - a good indication of what it will taste like. The smell becomes a lot more apparent as the brew comes to room temperature.

Taste - Almost like the 90 Minute, just heavier on the sweet side and the hops side (obviously). The alcohol isn't as apparent in the flavor as much as it is in the smell and the mouthfeel. The alcohol makes its main appearance in the throat as it goes down. It has the sweet malty front taste followed by hop bitterness. It has a very balanced flavor - something I was surprised by.

Mouthfeel - Smooth. Perfect carbonation level. Oily with warming alcohol as it slides down the throat.

Drinkability - I would never be able to drink more than one of these, but if a second was offered to me...you never know. I would probably be too tipsy to refuse. The fact that you would be plastered after the second is why I gave this brew an average score on drinkability. I was pretty tipsy 3/4 of the way through it. But it went down smoother than a lot of other beers that I have sampled that were less than 21%ABV.

This beer is a hell of an experience. Perhaps the most accessible high ABV brews out there - definitely not for the faint of heart. It still takes me an hour and a half to finish one, but I appreciate every sip.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Holy hell! Is this a beer?

In the glass, it's a deep cloudy orange with no head. Little bubbles float to the surface. The aroma is sort of hoppy, but also fruity and sweet -almost Belgian-like. Oh, and alcohol. Big hits of alcohol waft off the surface of this monster and overpower everything. Taste and mouthfeel converge, as the thick syrupy body and alcoholic zing carry in a huge maltiness and potent hits of hop bitterness and flavor. With other hoppy beers, I can usually detect differences in hop flavors and aromas, but not here. I just know there are hops entering my body aggressively and I can't see past that. All of this is overlaid on a base of sweet malt. Seems like the yeast, if they could have taken this beer up to 30% ABV, would have had plenty of sugars to work with.

Overall, this is a very complicated and very strong beverage. Unlike anything I've ever had (a title that formerly belonged to Dogfish's Fort). If you haven't, try it. You won't regret spending the $9 for a bottle. Will I buy another bottle? Maybe. Not anytime soon; this is not one that I'll add to my standard lineup, but a worthwhile adventure.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Nice amber color, with rather little head that fades very quickly, but as I swirl to get more aroma the head comes back and stays. Beautiful lacing and very small bubbles that stay, the second time around. Smells surprisingly sweet (I was expecting pure hops); some fruit, flowers definitely (floral hops), grapefruit (citrus hops). Quite sweet. Mouthfeel is very smooth and coats the mouth in a syrupy effect; medium to full bodied. Tastes quite sweet; again, syrupy. I am quite surprised by this because as an imperial IPA I expected overwhelming dominating hops, but this is not the case. It is very sweet, smooth and drinkable. Perhaps the alcohol will hurt drinkability in greater quantities but I shared a 12 oz bottle with 3 coworkers. Finish is long, syrupy sweet. If anything hurts drinkability the most for me it is the sweetness.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

I was quite excited to try this beer. Having heard great things, I went in with high hopes indeed.

The pour renders a rich amber product, any head at the pour dissipates immediately, with a couple bubbles popping up from time to time.

The nose only served to amplify my excitement. There's certainly alcohol, though I notice the malts before the hops. This surprises me somewhat, but there is still a bitterness hiding behind it all.

This is absolutely a sipping beer. Some sweet caramel malts drip across the backdrop of brandy, balanced by a piney/citrust hop character.

Think of this almost more as a cordial in terms of how you would drink it. It's good, overall, but wasn't quite what I was expecting. I would drink it again, but won't be scouring as hard as I was to find this first bottle. Wonder what aging it would bring?

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Been waiting to try this one for a long time. Finally found it in my area. Pours a golden color with very little head, but adequate amount of carbonation and it doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma is very sweet and strong with hops. The alcohol and a strangely strong aroma also come from the beer. The taste is far from what I was expecting. It starts out extremely sweet/tart then smoothes out and leaves the taste of many fruits (and alcohol) in your mouth. The flavor is incredibly complex and enjoyable after you become accustomed to it. For a 20% abv, they hide the percentage really well.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

I split a bottle of this with the other Matt a few days ago. Bottle from my cellar. Vintage December 2006.

The beer is hazy and orange / ruby hued. The head is insubstantial, and leaves only faint traces of lacing behind.

The aroma is dominated by a large alcohol and hop presence, despite the nearly five years of aging.

The taste is very bold and assertive, with notes of sweet fruits and a lot of booze. Hop presence is still there, though less forward than in a fresh bottle. The beer is more of an American barleywine than double IPA.

This is a seriously high octane beer. Three to four ounces is more than enough. A 12 oz. bottle could easily be shared four to six ways.

Overall, this was a decent brew. However, I much prefer beers like J.W. Lees if I want a beer of this ilk, i.e. strong and sweet.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Very intense beer, no surprise at 18%. An opaque/copper color with orange hue. Small, off-white head. Really sweet malt and honey smell with orange and floral mixed in. Definitely can smell the alcohol. Very sweet taste and thick mouthfeel with almost no carbonation. Alcoholic taste is strong at end but still drinkable. Lots of stuff going on in taste. Hop taste is dry and not bitter. Definitely a sippin beer, took us quite awhile to finish and nothing can follow this.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Apppearance: This one poured a cloudy, dark amber color, lots of unfiltered particles and some yeast can be seen from the bottle, very little head on this, lacing and retention were decent.

Smell: Very piney aroma, a sweet grapefruit tinge is relavent, but a sharp twist of esters and alcohol lets your nostrils know this isn't your typical DIPA. This one gave off a bit of a musty hop oil smell too. Alot going on here.

Taste: The hops are obviously there, a oily citrus body is accompanied by a nice maltiness, very rich and syurpy, followed by a huge backround of hop spice and some alcohol. After letting it sit in the glass and warm a bit, the alcohol becomes more prevalent. You could probably fool a non BA by telling them this is some hard alcohol, very robust and extreme to say the least.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, the overdose of hops makes this one bold while sitting on the tongue. The huge dose of esters through the mouthfeel makes this one sharp to the feel, yet the malt makes the crisp body almost velvety smooth.

Drinkability: Is this a highly drinkable brew? Not by any means, this is a beer to be consumed solely by itself, anything after this is really just a regular beer. For what it is worth, I felt that this beer lays down the groundwork of what brewers can actually do to make a beer so extreme and out of the box. A wonderful concoction here by DFH, make sure your not driving after consuming this bad boy!

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

perhaps i should not have tried this before their 90-min DIPA, cuz now i'm probably spoiled...

slightly cloudy, deep amber. head is not long-lasting, but very creamy. not very lacy though

aroma is extremely fruity with some citrus notes.

not too viscous, but definitely substantial. the sweetness was a huge surprise. a bit off-putting at first, but soon i was kinda hooked. this is not as bitter as you'd expect from a DIPA, the hops are much more floral. probably all the extensive dry-hopping involved?

i guess i'll be aging a couple of these to see if they're even better in a year or so. that is - if i can't avoid the temptation to just go ahead and open them ;)

all that being said, this is probably just a bit too sweet (even with the dry finish), especially for the style.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery