120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,153 | Hads: 7,593
4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

The 120....

Hazy dirty orange in color with a thick and dense head. Sticky lacing clings to the glass. A pretty solid looking ale.

Not the most pleasant aroma. Suprisingly weak for what i was expecting. Old lemons, apricot, alcohol, tropical juice and grapefruit were easy to inhale.

Like a BIG sweet barley wine. Thick and warming mouthfeel. Felt very heavy in the mouth and certainly not for the timid. I cannot stress enough how well the alcohol is hidden. This can sneek up on you...fast! If I were to have guessed without knowing the ABV beforehand I would have said 11-12%. Not as hoppy as I had it built up to be but certainly really fucking tasty.

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

I've had a lot of Dogfish ales and this is the best one yet! The taste doesn't like the 18% ABV that it is. Very impressed with the price compared to other beers in the ABV range. The hops taste is strong but not overwhelming. Overall great beer and very satisfying!

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Poured a nice golden amber/orange with a thin head.

S: Very strong dried apricot and citrus aroma, gave way to a rather strong alcohol waft when swirled in the glass.

T: Very smooth and full flavored, sweet with a warming alcohol finish. The first dinks were fruity with hints of citrus, after I had a chance to warm a bit; it gave way to a very sweet honey and raisin flavor.

M: Very thin mouthfeel due to the high alcohol content and low carbonation. A small sip went a long way to coat all of your taste buds.

O: A great beer to try. Not only is a great tasting, but it a great conversation piece to sit and share with a friend.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's nice when you realize that your palate may have been untrained the first time you experienced a certain beer. I recall submitting a post about the only beer I ever drain poured. DFH, forgive me. My best guess is that I didn't check a bottled on date when I danced with this devil more than 7 years ago. Despite claims that it ages well, I am digging the hoppy experience I'm getting from a super fresh bottle. One whiff and a bed of hop cones made their way up the nasal cavity. That intensified with the first sip, featuring multiple layers of citrus notes on steroids, tethered with a honey-like sweetness that conditioned the effervescence of the warming alcohol. Fresh baked bread, so doughy and sweet -- this brilliant mothereffer is one exceptional treat. Hats off to Sam and his entire crew. I am sorry that I revisited this world-class beverage with reservations. My palate just did a flawless rendition of Beethoven's unreleased symphony. This beer is larrrrrrrrge!!!

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Updated review of a bottle marked 9/19/11
DFH 120 Mins.
Very hazy amber pour into my snifter. Barely any head. Rich in appearance. Great velvety lacing.
Smells like far-away citrus, a distant burn, a large beast with big malts and big everything else ipa. While barely a large aroma to decipher, it's amazing the alcohol is so muted under my nose, as we all know it's there big time.
Taste is what it always is (as in prior below review). What else can I say, but this grows on me more each time I decide to open one.

Pours a sparkling amber with thick layer of particles/ little bubbles throughout my chalice. Body looks great, but the head is short-lived.
Smells oaky, sweet malts, syrupy citrus (orange peel to me), some pine. Nice but subtle. I cant believe im not picking up alcohol here, esp. when im about to taste 18%
Wow what a big beer. This is my second time trying it, and I think I like it more this time around. There's an intense rush off the bat. A bold sweet cognac burn that becomes a smooth & bitter orange-like citrusy finish, tingly all the way. This time around I like how the hops react with everything else to create a unique feeling. Syrupy, but very well balanced overall and smoothly warming for such a strong beer. I wish somehow the hops were even more present in the taste, as I know they were in making this beer. For what this is, it is well-made. Sporadic lacing. Something here reminds me of Devil Dancer (only as far as that beer's ambition is concerned), but this has better balance with malt backbone, and better hop-interplay. I also enjoy what citrus presence is here, and again DFH does a great job balancing malt and hops on this large scale (with the Founder's example i just mentioned, I felt indifferent because it's tough for me to dig big sweet IPAs that are mainly malt forward/cloying). But 120 Minute succeeds in its attempt while avoiding the aforementioned.
A once-in-a-while-treat (this bottle was stamped as being bottled in 2012), the few bottles I have remaining I'm going to age another year or so in order to see what might evolve. (Prior reviewed as 4, 4, 4, 4, 4)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5oz draft pour into a snifter. I was surprised by the initial foamy white head, but it quickly diminished, as did the lacing as I went. Very drinkable for 18%, but a bit of a mediciny booziness. Worth a try, but at $1 an ounce, not the best bang for the buck in the double/triple ipa category.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

Bottled, received in trade. Holy schnikes!! This is one mother mama of a beer. My first 120 experience and I'm well pleased. Aroma is enormous, sweet and complex. Not much of a head and it's certainly a heavy brew. The flavor, this is nectar for the elites palate. Big fruit, with some honey like sweetness. Lingering flavor of hops and pine. The flavor invades every nerve in your mouth. Criminey, 21%!?!?! Geez, 2 sips and I can already feel a buzz. At that high of alcohol I'm surprised it doesn't burn like a whiskey or something, it's pretty darn smooth.
DFH, please get California distribution!!

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Was lucky enough to have a bottle of 2012K given to me by a fellow BA. This was served chilled in wine glasses between 5 of us. Poured a much lighter color then I was expecting for being 18%. The nose was a little boozy, but I could smell the IPA behind it. The taste is not what I was expecting at all. It was DELICIOUS! The booze didn't come out in this one and the hops were still incredibly tasty. This was a white whale for me, having always wanted to try it. It was a real joy to try and this was the favorite of everyone out of the 5 rare's that we tried.

Poured a 12 oz bottle into my snifter

Poured a headless amber honey, with peach accents. Though lacking any big head, there are some suddy sides, with minimal lacing. The aroma from the 120 minute though, started billowing out of the bottle as I opened it. This is one of the strongest smellers I have ever witnessed. Aromatics range from potent, sweet alcohol, apple, raisin, and pine.

Man is the taste complex. The brew is extremely full bodied with a slight viscosity. Flavors run from sweet fruit notes like white grapes, to honey, to an extremely warming alcohol finish. So slight grapefruit hopiness emerges at the the finish. I really enjoy the flavor of this guy despite the big ABV.

I really loved this, however, after about 6 ounces I was satisfied, as she really is a doozey in terms of ABV and flavors.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

This is a Pink GRAPEFRUIT bomb! The hops come on so strong that they become super sweet. This much less perfumy or vegetal than most hops, this is the uber-sweet grapefruit style of hops. Less flower, more fruit.

Ever wonder why this doesn't come bomber size? Think high ABV. Think overwhelming ABV.

A flower festival extravaganza. It is hops madness. Think of this as the hyper-hippy chick that has flowers in her hair. And you want to taste each and every one before you pass out.

Fresh, this is way too strong and completely un-nuanced. Age at least a year to bring all the flavors together and get them to coalesce into a fine marriage.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1/14/15. Strong alcohol bite but very flavorful. Can't wait to see how this ages. I could see this standing up fantastically over several years.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was saving this beer but we got some where i work so i couldn't help but buy 2 more :P
A - copper amber redish, even a golden amber red (Lacing on the glass is pretty decent

S - very sweet, strong sweet fruits with a after smell of hops.

T -amazing! whoa this is like a orange cognac, very sweet like a pineapple juice type deal with a hoppy finish. FIrst taste though come in almost like a orange candy type deal but that sweet sour fruit Cognac comes well though.

M - perfect :) alcohol does come out a lot though

O - amazing beer! i'm drinking it as i type it, with a IBU level of 120+ i thought it was gonna be very hoppy but is really isn't i'm thinking it had to do something with the aging procress because its a very sweet beer. well worth the 13 dollar i spent on this one

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this one before on the fly but wanted to take a better look since coming here to BA.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tall tulip glass. Hazy golden amber with thin head and light lacing. Incredibly tiny bubbles but a good amount of them.

Smells of sweetened medium roast malts, cirtusy apricots, brown sugar, and even a little bit of cocoa. WOW this has a lot of things going on. It's difficult even putting a finger on some of the smells since I will type and put it up to my nose and find different things about it. Really complex and not nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be, but in no way is that a bad thing.

Overall an amazing beer and well worth the $13 I paid for a 12oz bottle.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

2004 vintage. This is the first time I've had a fresh 120, all other times they were at least a year or two old. I gotta say I like this one fresh.

It pours golden honey colored with a shaggy white head that quickly fades, leaving thick trails of lace in my Delerium tulip. A swirl around the glass shows that it is a thick, viscous brew.

It smells like I'm in a flower garden here. Super bright, floral and orangey citrus hops dominate the nose. Like honey drenched hop flowers, it is a combination of sweet and spicey.

Awesome upfront burst of malt sweetness quickly overshadowed by intense floral, citrus, candied fruit, clover honey, and pinecone flavors. Very deep and complex hops are the highlight.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and coating. Finish is sweet fade into hop oblivion. Alcohol is warming, but does not steal the sceen.

Like I said, I like this much better than the cellared bottled I've had. It's far less sweet, and has a lot better hop profile. I think another 3-4 months may help round it out and mellow the heat a bit, but it tastes pretty damn amazing now!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First off even before the served info,extra thanks to Susdog for sending me this beer which I always wanted to try. OK, served into my favorite large tulip gold rimmed glass from a 12oz brown long neck bottle with a crimped on cap.

Mirky,glowing reddish/golden color,apricot nectar-like color. 1" thick,creamy head with good retention,some tightly knitted strings of bubbles surging to the surface from the sides and center of the glass.
Spotty lacing with some small curtians of lace clinging to the sides of the glass. Constant layer of foam with a never die attitude always on the top of the beer. Gotta love it!

Intense hop aromas, lots of pine and citrus,pineapple,sweet carmell maltyness,burnt syrupy aromas. A candy-like aroma,a slight boozy aroma,stings the nostrills a bit,you know the alcohol is in there. Still a very tempting aroma,not an aroma for the weak at heart.

Wow! Intense hop taste very piney/citrusy great pineapple taste,lots of sweet carmell tastes a great burnt taste to the carmell.Very sugary,reminds me a bit of cotton candy. Lots of candied flavors to the taste.Amazing balance to all the intense tastes,the balance is the key to this beer as far as i'm concerned.If the balance was a bit off this beer would really suffer in the taste department,no problem here.Lots of boozyness here as expected, don't have a problem with it and it is not offensive to me.Resiny and sugary in a good way, this beer just pushes the limit for me but just never exceeds it. A real palate buster,my tongue will never be the same again. Thanks,Ted

Thick,chewy,cloying,Whatta ya expect? A pleasure for the taste buds.
This beer was better than I could have even imagined.
A very balanced taste throughout. A nightcap beer, by no means a starter beer. The drinkability for this beer was astounding,would never think this beer would be as drinkable as it is.I wanted to savor it as much as I wanted to slam it. ABV 21.00% would never know it,was a bit fraid to give this one a try,now I'm glad I did. Thanks again,Ted
Send me this beer anytime !!

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery all hail to this amazingly revolutionary brewery that push the envelope and shake the industry up to keep things exciting. Here is one of the finest Imperial IPAs I have come into contact with 120 minutes of continously hopped amber goodness with an off white cream toned short lived head, but at 20% abv it's all good. Aroma contains a plethora off hop tones including those of the floral, pine cone, and citrus (grapefruit) varieties along with one very distinct alcohol nose butterscotch. The taste is strikingly sweet with overly ripened fruit tones apricot and plum notes very nice very hoppy, but amazingly balanced with one hell of a warming effect. Mouthfeel is syrupy and full carrying all of these flavors very nicely. The drinkability at 20% is straight rediculous and at 25.6 oz. beware don't crack a bottle of this by yourself because you might be tempted to finish it.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Received two bottles of the 120 in a trade with zutmin. Cellared one and tried the other out tonight. Expectations were met, if not exceeded. Nice orange hue with a half inch head. Smells of fresh hops, fruit, candy. Taste the same, with a nice grape-citrus finish. Though alcohol was apparent, the hops balanced it out. Definitely can tell this is the highest gravity beer I tried after the first half of glass. Easy enough to finish and really enjoyed every ounce. Not for everyone, but my palate is finally to the point to appreciate this. Another hit by Dogfish head.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

A: Pours a gorgeous orange / dark amber with a thin white head.

S: HOPS! Lychee flavors galore. Resonant fruit-flavored hard candy sweetness permeates the background.

T: Gorgeous barleywine taste with freshly made caramel and sugar cane. Hops slowly ease in and then saturate the palate. The sweet malt to hop taste conversion is perfect. Every drop of this radiates with flavor and juiciness. Aftertaste is somewhat phenolic and reminiscent of Lillet. I think this is what people are referring to when they say "sweet, sweet beer".

M: Extremely heavy wth an oily and slick feel as it enters the mouth and goes down.

D: This is one stellar brew, meant only to be sipped. At $10 a bottle, this was completely worth it.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

a- Very dark to golden yellow pour, small head.

s- Very hoppy and lots of fruit and sweetness in the nose of this beer

t- taste is incredible, a good indicator why it's called an extream beer, very bold hopp flavor, oranges, peaches and some other citrus and very sweet fruit tastes.

m- sryup, thick, very bold and heavy

d- it deffinatly goes down better then most of the liquors that have the same abv, deffinatly not a beer you are going to fill up a cooler and drink all night, but should be enjoyed like a wine.

I love this beer, I didn't like IPA's that much until I had this one, it actually turned me on to several other IPA's

Dogfish head 120 minute IPA. bottled 5/01/09 ABV: 20%

A: The liquid has a very clean crisp look to it. Along with the look, there is a beautiful orange haze that shines in the light. The lacing sticks right to the glass the moment that the beer is poured into the glass. Limited head due to the ABV.

S: Smells of citrus and grapefruit with the alcohol that just lingers in your nose. Very great scent to it, just makes me want another sip.

T: Very strong IPA. The taste is very hoppy(like a syrup based hops) and has the grapefruit hint. Very sweet and bitter at the same time.

M-D: This is a beer that is for heavy beer drinkers. Once the beer is in your mouth, you are experiencing Dogfish head's 20% alcohol content. Very strong at the start and very strong to the finish. Wonderful IPA!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottled on 10-5-09

A-Beautiful amber color. Thin film of bubbles that hangs on top. a swirl of the glass and you can see the thick liquid stick to the glass.

S-Alot going on in the smell, the hops have mellowed but are still there, grapefruit, caramel, raisins, dark fruits, lots of malts, maybe a little alcohol but it blends in well.

T-A big sweet, malty, caramel treat. The hops come through in the middle. The alcohol definitely comes into play on the finish as well as all the hop bitterness.

M-I'd say medium. Not as thick as you'd think. Pleasant carbonation

D-Definitely a sipper. Very warming. I'd love to sip this on a cold winter night. Very balanced with alot of big flavors. Very complex. A very enjoyable brew.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

12 oz bottle, the date is rubbed a bit but looks like 3/27/06, so about 4 months old

Pours out a rich copper amber with a nice frothy and slightly tan head that is giving great lacing already, stays floating on top during the beer.

Smell. A very rich and potent hoppy and yeasty aroma. Smells like a very hoppy belgian tripel or bspa.

Taste. WOW. Very potent. Has a sweet and bitter taste. These hops have a bit of an earthy taste... i need to research and see what hops they have here cuz it is quite interesting. They dominate the flavor, but there is also that belgian characteristic that is quite noticable. There is a warming sensation from the alcohol during the swallow and aftertaste is still full of hops.

Mouthfeel is very full from the alcohol. It also gives a syrupy sensation that is getting quite sticky. Balance is heavy on the hops, but still seems balanced in the mouthfeel. Carbonation is more than i expected.

Overall one hell of an experience! this one is not for the faint of heart. I
really could have this one again and again, as long as it isnt in repeating
days. Excellent beer!

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

A: Slightly cloudy yellow color, thin little sticky head.

S: Unreal. The hop overload I was expecting never arrived, rather this one has a huge load of hops that are more floral than sharply grapefruit. There are strong fruity smells, very complex, I have no idea how they did it.

T: Sweet Mother, this is tasty! There's an overriding fruity hop taste that's not as bitter as I thought it would be, rather this is a beer that I can enjoy the flavors of the hops without thinking I'm sucking on a grapefruit.

M: Strong alcohol character. Big and full bodied with a syrupy mouth coating that carries the flavors of this one to all parts of the mouth.

D&N: Insanely good beer that only gets a four because it's got so damned much alcohol in it. One or two of these, though, are supremely drinkable. Huzzah!

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Here before me, a 120 Minute IPA. Bottled in '03. The beer poured a great looking very light head. The coloring was a dark amber-brown with some orange hints when held up to light.

The smell was very floral and fruity. The aromatics consisted of apricot, peach, and honey.

The taste of the beer continues on this apricot trend. In addition, there are elements of mango, and more honey. There is a pretty significant malt flavor as well. The alcohol, which is a major talking point about this beer, is well hidden through the drinking, but rises up a bit during the aftertaste.

The texture of this beer is more like wine than beer. Thick, sticky, sweet, and a numbing due to the alcohol. I feel like I have a sterilized tongue, then someone comes in with a flavor injection.

As far as drinkability, obviously you wouldn't want to have more than one. In fact, I had to wait till the next day to write the review. However, for the punch that this beer packs, it hides the alcohol taste well, and it is highly enjoyable and is a highly drinkable brew.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

My 1 year anniversary as a beer advocate member review, decided to spend it drinking the most biggest, baddest, hoppiest muthfucker in existence.
Pours out a dirty amber apricot grapefruit toned golden murky color, nice white foamy head leaving sticky lacing in the glass
If still had nose hairs after smelling the beer I could continue with aroma bouquet, but my nose had been burned off. Delicious, citric, burning Grand marnier-like notes, malts, even charcoal like.
Holy fucking hops batman! I actually cant believe how balanced it is, huge malt bill in a tug-of war with the hops, huge grapefruits, citrus, malts,spicy alcohol, burning finish.
this is an incredibly drinkable Dipa, this goes where none have dared venture, yet is the textbook explanation of a beer brewed to be an extreme ipa doubled. drink in small sips, straight to the back of the throat for your own safety. will anything ever taste hoopy again?

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery