120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,340 | Reviews: 2,195
4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

L: Dark candy orange color. The head is off white and it disapears immediately.
S: Very strong bisquity smell. There is a fiarly big malty sweetness as well. Grapefruit hops pop out right at the end.
T: Really sweet. Candied apricot sweetness. All other flavors get tangled up with the candy.
M: Super thick and syrupy. Gives it a warming. feeling.
D:Obviously a huge fricking beer. People will be suprised that it is not explosive with hops. Definitely a different brew. I love it.

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into a snifter and received a real nice head that stuck strong for a few minutes. Beautiful copper tone on this one. Once the head settles out, a little ring is left and the foam just sticks to the sides. No visible chunks on the first pour but not completely clear either.

The aroma is very floral and sweet like nectar. Fruity hop tones come through nicely. Orange peel...

The taste: Surprisingly sweet... Fruity and floral hop notes dance with the sweet maltiness. Sour oranges. Fresh green herbal notes. A touch of cough syrup. Biscuit. Caramel. The finish is complex with hops and dries the palate, leaving you wanting more. A nice warmth from the ethanol on the roof of the mouth is there but not overpowering. The carbonation plays an important role here, leaving a dry, crisp finish.

Dangerously drinkable! This one was bottled just over a month ago, and is much hoppier than I remember the last one I had, which must have been quite aged. This one is quite hoppy, but very balanced with the sweetness and the alcohol. I am stocking up on this batch!

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Mahogany, toffee, pours very viscous, lots of lacing
S: Cherry, dry oaky, prune, raison, nuts, pistachio, almond, a bit boozy
T: Pine nuts, boozy but not hot, drinks like a port, lots of cherry, very sweet but not cloying, appropriate for what you're drinking
M: very viscous, well carbonated, drinks like a port or sherry
O: this is an incredible beer. it was bottled at the first part of 2011 and we opened it half way through 2013. having had a fresh 120 on tap as well as in a bottle I would say this brew takes on a style of its own a part from an IPA. We did not note ANY hop character what so ever, but many different types of sweet tastes.

All in all this brew is stupendous, which is why I pick up a 4 pack every time it comes out.

can't wait to open an even older one!

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

After giving up beer for Lent, I had to sample a big gun to celebrate being back to the world of hops. Poured a copper-orange color, white head that dissipated fairly quickly. Hoppy, fruity aroma. Taste is, well, like nothing I've ever tasted before. I can tell that it's got a good amount of hops, but it has none of the bitterness or astringency I associate with traditional hop-bombs. The fruity-citrusy flavor predominates, with a complex mouthfeel that is smooth, sweet, rich and hoppy all at the same time. The alcohol is incredibly well hidden; if I had not read this beers reviews I would never have guessed the ABV. Unfortunately it's price puts it out of range for regular consumption, but definitely something worth sampling for the true beer fan.

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

This is the beer that single-handedly opened my eyes to the world of beer that I didn't know I was missing. Definitely a starter drink and not to be tapped after 40 beers.Purchased a bottle at a local store in Brooklyn and poured into a glass.

Appearance: Stunning golden-maroon color with a thin head

Smell - blast of hops with a vodka/bourbon aroma

Taste - so incredibly intense. Hints of bourbon give it a whiskey-like taste.

Mouthfeel - Perfect IPA thickness (the only word I can think to use)

Definitely not for everyone, but everyone needs to try it at least once. This is a beer that you can't judge immediately. You'll be set back by the abrasiveness at first, but as you develop your relationship you'll have your ups and your downs throughout. In the end you'll be left feeling perplexed yet enlightened and wanting (maybe needing) more. Definitely a starter drink and not to be tapped after 40 beers.

The 120....

Hazy dirty orange in color with a thick and dense head. Sticky lacing clings to the glass. A pretty solid looking ale.

Not the most pleasant aroma. Suprisingly weak for what i was expecting. Old lemons, apricot, alcohol, tropical juice and grapefruit were easy to inhale.

Like a BIG sweet barley wine. Thick and warming mouthfeel. Felt very heavy in the mouth and certainly not for the timid. I cannot stress enough how well the alcohol is hidden. This can sneek up on you...fast! If I were to have guessed without knowing the ABV beforehand I would have said 11-12%. Not as hoppy as I had it built up to be but certainly really fucking tasty.

WOW!

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

I've had a lot of Dogfish ales and this is the best one yet! The taste doesn't like the 18% ABV that it is. Very impressed with the price compared to other beers in the ABV range. The hops taste is strong but not overwhelming. Overall great beer and very satisfying!

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Poured a nice golden amber/orange with a thin head.

S: Very strong dried apricot and citrus aroma, gave way to a rather strong alcohol waft when swirled in the glass.

T: Very smooth and full flavored, sweet with a warming alcohol finish. The first dinks were fruity with hints of citrus, after I had a chance to warm a bit; it gave way to a very sweet honey and raisin flavor.

M: Very thin mouthfeel due to the high alcohol content and low carbonation. A small sip went a long way to coat all of your taste buds.

O: A great beer to try. Not only is a great tasting, but it a great conversation piece to sit and share with a friend.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's nice when you realize that your palate may have been untrained the first time you experienced a certain beer. I recall submitting a post about the only beer I ever drain poured. DFH, forgive me. My best guess is that I didn't check a bottled on date when I danced with this devil more than 7 years ago. Despite claims that it ages well, I am digging the hoppy experience I'm getting from a super fresh bottle. One whiff and a bed of hop cones made their way up the nasal cavity. That intensified with the first sip, featuring multiple layers of citrus notes on steroids, tethered with a honey-like sweetness that conditioned the effervescence of the warming alcohol. Fresh baked bread, so doughy and sweet -- this brilliant mothereffer is one exceptional treat. Hats off to Sam and his entire crew. I am sorry that I revisited this world-class beverage with reservations. My palate just did a flawless rendition of Beethoven's unreleased symphony. This beer is larrrrrrrrge!!!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5oz draft pour into a snifter. I was surprised by the initial foamy white head, but it quickly diminished, as did the lacing as I went. Very drinkable for 18%, but a bit of a mediciny booziness. Worth a try, but at $1 an ounce, not the best bang for the buck in the double/triple ipa category.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottled, received in trade. Holy schnikes!! This is one mother mama of a beer. My first 120 experience and I'm well pleased. Aroma is enormous, sweet and complex. Not much of a head and it's certainly a heavy brew. The flavor, this is nectar for the elites palate. Big fruit, with some honey like sweetness. Lingering flavor of hops and pine. The flavor invades every nerve in your mouth. Criminey, 21%!?!?! Geez, 2 sips and I can already feel a buzz. At that high of alcohol I'm surprised it doesn't burn like a whiskey or something, it's pretty darn smooth.
DFH, please get California distribution!!

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Was lucky enough to have a bottle of 2012K given to me by a fellow BA. This was served chilled in wine glasses between 5 of us. Poured a much lighter color then I was expecting for being 18%. The nose was a little boozy, but I could smell the IPA behind it. The taste is not what I was expecting at all. It was DELICIOUS! The booze didn't come out in this one and the hops were still incredibly tasty. This was a white whale for me, having always wanted to try it. It was a real joy to try and this was the favorite of everyone out of the 5 rare's that we tried.

Poured a 12 oz bottle into my snifter

Poured a headless amber honey, with peach accents. Though lacking any big head, there are some suddy sides, with minimal lacing. The aroma from the 120 minute though, started billowing out of the bottle as I opened it. This is one of the strongest smellers I have ever witnessed. Aromatics range from potent, sweet alcohol, apple, raisin, and pine.

Man is the taste complex. The brew is extremely full bodied with a slight viscosity. Flavors run from sweet fruit notes like white grapes, to honey, to an extremely warming alcohol finish. So slight grapefruit hopiness emerges at the the finish. I really enjoy the flavor of this guy despite the big ABV.

I really loved this, however, after about 6 ounces I was satisfied, as she really is a doozey in terms of ABV and flavors.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%

This is a Pink GRAPEFRUIT bomb! The hops come on so strong that they become super sweet. This much less perfumy or vegetal than most hops, this is the uber-sweet grapefruit style of hops. Less flower, more fruit.

Ever wonder why this doesn't come bomber size? Think high ABV. Think overwhelming ABV.

A flower festival extravaganza. It is hops madness. Think of this as the hyper-hippy chick that has flowers in her hair. And you want to taste each and every one before you pass out.

Fresh, this is way too strong and completely un-nuanced. Age at least a year to bring all the flavors together and get them to coalesce into a fine marriage.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1/14/15. Strong alcohol bite but very flavorful. Can't wait to see how this ages.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was saving this beer but we got some where i work so i couldn't help but buy 2 more :P
A - copper amber redish, even a golden amber red (Lacing on the glass is pretty decent

S - very sweet, strong sweet fruits with a after smell of hops.

T -amazing! whoa this is like a orange cognac, very sweet like a pineapple juice type deal with a hoppy finish. FIrst taste though come in almost like a orange candy type deal but that sweet sour fruit Cognac comes well though.

M - perfect :) alcohol does come out a lot though

O - amazing beer! i'm drinking it as i type it, with a IBU level of 120+ i thought it was gonna be very hoppy but is really isn't i'm thinking it had to do something with the aging procress because its a very sweet beer. well worth the 13 dollar i spent on this one

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this one before on the fly but wanted to take a better look since coming here to BA.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tall tulip glass. Hazy golden amber with thin head and light lacing. Incredibly tiny bubbles but a good amount of them.

Smells of sweetened medium roast malts, cirtusy apricots, brown sugar, and even a little bit of cocoa. WOW this has a lot of things going on. It's difficult even putting a finger on some of the smells since I will type and put it up to my nose and find different things about it. Really complex and not nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be, but in no way is that a bad thing.

Overall an amazing beer and well worth the $13 I paid for a 12oz bottle.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%

2004 vintage. This is the first time I've had a fresh 120, all other times they were at least a year or two old. I gotta say I like this one fresh.

It pours golden honey colored with a shaggy white head that quickly fades, leaving thick trails of lace in my Delerium tulip. A swirl around the glass shows that it is a thick, viscous brew.

It smells like I'm in a flower garden here. Super bright, floral and orangey citrus hops dominate the nose. Like honey drenched hop flowers, it is a combination of sweet and spicey.

Awesome upfront burst of malt sweetness quickly overshadowed by intense floral, citrus, candied fruit, clover honey, and pinecone flavors. Very deep and complex hops are the highlight.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and coating. Finish is sweet fade into hop oblivion. Alcohol is warming, but does not steal the sceen.

Like I said, I like this much better than the cellared bottled I've had. It's far less sweet, and has a lot better hop profile. I think another 3-4 months may help round it out and mellow the heat a bit, but it tastes pretty damn amazing now!

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First off even before the served info,extra thanks to Susdog for sending me this beer which I always wanted to try. OK, served into my favorite large tulip gold rimmed glass from a 12oz brown long neck bottle with a crimped on cap.

Mirky,glowing reddish/golden color,apricot nectar-like color. 1" thick,creamy head with good retention,some tightly knitted strings of bubbles surging to the surface from the sides and center of the glass.
Spotty lacing with some small curtians of lace clinging to the sides of the glass. Constant layer of foam with a never die attitude always on the top of the beer. Gotta love it!

Intense hop aromas, lots of pine and citrus,pineapple,sweet carmell maltyness,burnt syrupy aromas. A candy-like aroma,a slight boozy aroma,stings the nostrills a bit,you know the alcohol is in there. Still a very tempting aroma,not an aroma for the weak at heart.

Wow! Intense hop taste very piney/citrusy great pineapple taste,lots of sweet carmell tastes a great burnt taste to the carmell.Very sugary,reminds me a bit of cotton candy. Lots of candied flavors to the taste.Amazing balance to all the intense tastes,the balance is the key to this beer as far as i'm concerned.If the balance was a bit off this beer would really suffer in the taste department,no problem here.Lots of boozyness here as expected, don't have a problem with it and it is not offensive to me.Resiny and sugary in a good way, this beer just pushes the limit for me but just never exceeds it. A real palate buster,my tongue will never be the same again. Thanks,Ted

Thick,chewy,cloying,Whatta ya expect? A pleasure for the taste buds.
This beer was better than I could have even imagined.
A very balanced taste throughout. A nightcap beer, by no means a starter beer. The drinkability for this beer was astounding,would never think this beer would be as drinkable as it is.I wanted to savor it as much as I wanted to slam it. ABV 21.00% would never know it,was a bit fraid to give this one a try,now I'm glad I did. Thanks again,Ted
Send me this beer anytime !!

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery all hail to this amazingly revolutionary brewery that push the envelope and shake the industry up to keep things exciting. Here is one of the finest Imperial IPAs I have come into contact with 120 minutes of continously hopped amber goodness with an off white cream toned short lived head, but at 20% abv it's all good. Aroma contains a plethora off hop tones including those of the floral, pine cone, and citrus (grapefruit) varieties along with one very distinct alcohol nose butterscotch. The taste is strikingly sweet with overly ripened fruit tones apricot and plum notes very nice very hoppy, but amazingly balanced with one hell of a warming effect. Mouthfeel is syrupy and full carrying all of these flavors very nicely. The drinkability at 20% is straight rediculous and at 25.6 oz. beware don't crack a bottle of this by yourself because you might be tempted to finish it.

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

Received two bottles of the 120 in a trade with zutmin. Cellared one and tried the other out tonight. Expectations were met, if not exceeded. Nice orange hue with a half inch head. Smells of fresh hops, fruit, candy. Taste the same, with a nice grape-citrus finish. Though alcohol was apparent, the hops balanced it out. Definitely can tell this is the highest gravity beer I tried after the first half of glass. Easy enough to finish and really enjoyed every ounce. Not for everyone, but my palate is finally to the point to appreciate this. Another hit by Dogfish head.

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Pours a gorgeous orange / dark amber with a thin white head.

S: HOPS! Lychee flavors galore. Resonant fruit-flavored hard candy sweetness permeates the background.

T: Gorgeous barleywine taste with freshly made caramel and sugar cane. Hops slowly ease in and then saturate the palate. The sweet malt to hop taste conversion is perfect. Every drop of this radiates with flavor and juiciness. Aftertaste is somewhat phenolic and reminiscent of Lillet. I think this is what people are referring to when they say "sweet, sweet beer".

M: Extremely heavy wth an oily and slick feel as it enters the mouth and goes down.

D: This is one stellar brew, meant only to be sipped. At $10 a bottle, this was completely worth it.

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

a- Very dark to golden yellow pour, small head.

s- Very hoppy and lots of fruit and sweetness in the nose of this beer

t- taste is incredible, a good indicator why it's called an extream beer, very bold hopp flavor, oranges, peaches and some other citrus and very sweet fruit tastes.

m- sryup, thick, very bold and heavy

d- it deffinatly goes down better then most of the liquors that have the same abv, deffinatly not a beer you are going to fill up a cooler and drink all night, but should be enjoyed like a wine.

I love this beer, I didn't like IPA's that much until I had this one, it actually turned me on to several other IPA's

Dogfish head 120 minute IPA. bottled 5/01/09 ABV: 20%

A: The liquid has a very clean crisp look to it. Along with the look, there is a beautiful orange haze that shines in the light. The lacing sticks right to the glass the moment that the beer is poured into the glass. Limited head due to the ABV.

S: Smells of citrus and grapefruit with the alcohol that just lingers in your nose. Very great scent to it, just makes me want another sip.

T: Very strong IPA. The taste is very hoppy(like a syrup based hops) and has the grapefruit hint. Very sweet and bitter at the same time.

M-D: This is a beer that is for heavy beer drinkers. Once the beer is in your mouth, you are experiencing Dogfish head's 20% alcohol content. Very strong at the start and very strong to the finish. Wonderful IPA!

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is definitely deserving of a high rating. One of my favorites from a brand that has a fair amount of stars.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery