120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,345 | Reviews: 2,196
4.78/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Knocked me on my ass. This is the purple drank of beers.

I can't do a fair review until I get the opportunity to have another one, but it was the best beer I've ever had. The distribution range is pretty limited, unfortunately. The 60-minute is also incredible if you can't spring for the alcohol content. But you can. I mean, come on.

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is definitely deserving of a high rating. One of my favorites from a brand that has a fair amount of stars.

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very good for the ABV. 90 minute is better in my view

This is the best IPA I've ever had

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Came across a couple bottles and snatched them up. I cracked one open and decided to age the others. Definitely in your face with the heat but I really enjoyed it. Can't drink these that often but a nice treat once in a while.

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Booze nose. Tongue singeing booze. Wait. Sip.
Flavors expand to hop explosion as it warms.
Wow DFH.WTF go.

4.95/5  rDev +20.1%

This beer lives up to its reputation. The taste was surprisingly more mild then I expected a high content beer like this to be. If you can find it grab it immediately.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Simply liquid art! A wonderfully balanced beer. Had on tap locally, thinking about moving in!!!

4.31/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Smelt and tasted real boozy. Very good batch.

3.13/5  rDev -24%

Too much for me, not my style.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Very sweet, great beer but share, this beer will put you on your a**.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap.

Ok, I have never had this and when I saw my local taproom had it on tap I knew I had to give it a try to see what all the hype was about. I am not an IPA fan. The only IPA I like is Hopslam so I was skeptical going into this. A/Golden hue which I was expecting. S/Hoppy and sweet. I am not too sure what I was smelling that was sweet. T/Wow! This was thick almost syrupy with a sweet taste. It reminded me of a Barley Wine and then the hops hit me near the end. The hops were not a bad thing like in other IPA's I have had. It did not seem to kill my palate and the hops seemed to be balanced. I think some breweries throw as many different kinds of hops in and load it to the max and end up having a bitter, palate killing beer which people love, but I think DFH thought this one through and took their time. O/ I will search this out again but at 18% you have to make a commitment to it :) I can say I was very pleased and impressed. I feel that this beer lived up to its reputation. Well done!!

Just as an afterthought I did not think the alcohol was too apparent but my GF said "It is good but I feel like the alcohol just punched me in the face." haha

4.78/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Malty, boozy and hoppy. Kinda sticky/sweet. It had been a while since I've had this but much better than I was expecting.

4.98/5  rDev +20.9%

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. Just a little bit boozy at the end. Just a little.

Bought 2 , i guess late 2015/eRly 2015. Totally Lived up to the hype. I bought 2 with the idea of aging. Not going to happen. Cant wait for the next special occasion to break it open. Next friday will do.

4.69/5  rDev +13.8%

So tasty. Had this after a few drinks. The abv is higher than the taste.

3.14/5  rDev -23.8%

Very boozy finish. Out of balance.

2.83/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Looks good smells good. Going to catch a lot of flak for this but tastes like straight alcohol. Might have tasted slight citrus before it burned my palate.

4.73/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Picked up one with a bottled date of June 2014, so nearly a year old. It looked and smelled like orange soda. It tasted almost like a sweet alcohol, almost brandy-like, with absolutely no burn. I was at first just a little bit disappointed as I thought it would be overwhelmingly bitter, but that comes on the finish. Not sure if it being aged changed it a bit. But wow, like nothing I've had before. $13 bottle was pricey, but I'll be trying again soon.

4.39/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: It is a hazy dark orange that you can hardly see through.

S: It has a surprisingly sweet malt smell followed by the big hops and of course, the booze.

T: Tropical Fruits at the beginning, followed by the booze and hops. after the first few sips, it all blends together.

F: It is very carbonated for the ABV, its got a good body, not too thick

Overall this is a great beer fresh or aged. I am reviewing the newest batch from 2014. I would strongly suggest sharing this with at least one other person, its a lot for one person.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's nice when you realize that your palate may have been untrained the first time you experienced a certain beer. I recall submitting a post about the only beer I ever drain poured. DFH, forgive me. My best guess is that I didn't check a bottled on date when I danced with this devil more than 7 years ago. Despite claims that it ages well, I am digging the hoppy experience I'm getting from a super fresh bottle. One whiff and a bed of hop cones made their way up the nasal cavity. That intensified with the first sip, featuring multiple layers of citrus notes on steroids, tethered with a honey-like sweetness that conditioned the effervescence of the warming alcohol. Fresh baked bread, so doughy and sweet -- this brilliant mothereffer is one exceptional treat. Hats off to Sam and his entire crew. I am sorry that I revisited this world-class beverage with reservations. My palate just did a flawless rendition of Beethoven's unreleased symphony. This beer is larrrrrrrrge!!!

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Super aggressive and super fun.
start off with this beast, splitting it up with friends, will help get the party started right. = enter BEAST MODE 120
suggest you don't drink more then 1 and go with a session-able beer after this

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A little too boozy for me.

3.59/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As others have stated, I do not understand how this is called an IPA. It's more of a barleywine.

2.9/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Acknowledging this was a 9-month old bottle, so perhaps the more identifiable hop notes had disappeared by now, but otherwise I'm hard pressed to conceive how this can be called an IPA. Incredibly sweet, overwhelmingly so, the sweetness cut simply by the warming booze. Perhaps as it warmed some acidic hop notes emerge, but they're quiet at best and do nothing to stem the tide of sickeningly sweet malt and booze. I applaud the novelty of it all and the effort to experiment/expand our notion of beer...but this just falls incredibly flat.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery