Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,120 | Hads: 7,418
3.19/5  rDev -18.8%

So I'll start this off by saying that I'm not a huge IPA fan, or even much of a hop-head...
Even so - The first time I ever had dogfish head 60 minute was on tap, and the fresh flavor of the hops blending together so perfectly was mind blowing. Then I had the 90 minute on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings, and decided to buy more at my local beer shop. When I heard that there was a 120 minute, I knew I had to have it... I managed to find a 4 pack recently at one of the beer stores around here - I wasn't sure I could justify $40 for a 4 pack, but I decided to make it a happy birthday present to myself. I have high hopes that by the end of this review, I'll have no regrets.
Let's get started, shall we?

Serving Type - Bottle. Poured into a Samuel Adams Wide-mouth Pint Glass

A - It's a hazy golden-yellow with about a half-finger straw-white head that dissipates in around a minute or so. (Even a hopping of this magnitude can't help the head retention in an 18% brew) Slightly disappointing look to it - I expected it to be a little darker, and much clearer.

S - Upon first opening the bottle, you are immediately hit by a massive dose of pine and grapefruit flavors... Very mouthwatering - as it warms a bit, more of a fresh fruit scent comes forward, hinting at berries and possibly even coconut?

T - Now for the big one... Taste.
I'm sorry to say that it's completely underwhelming in this department... After the 60 minute, and the 90 minute, and my love of big, heavy, high alcohol beers- This just doesn't live up to expectations. There's a little bit of hop upon first taste, but as it makes its way through the mouth, over the tongue and down the throat, all you get is bitterness, old vegetation, copper-rust and an alcohol burn with no maltiness to back it up or attempt to cover it... Similar to their World Wide Stout, they've focused purely on ABV, and forgotten that when you're going to spend $10 on a single bottle of beer, it sure as hell better be worth savoring.

M - Much lighter than expected... It makes you wonder how much of the ABV comes from corn sugar or other adjuncts. Moderate carbonation helps the lightness of it, but perhaps they would have done well to back up the alcohol with enough residual sweetness to cover the burn?

O - Disappointing :( I wanted to like this beer, I really did - I looked for it for over a year, and was ecstatic when I finally found it, but it doesn't come anywhere close to living up to the hype... My wallet sheds a tear for my poor gut. Half a bottle down, 3 1/2 to go... (2,539 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep orange color. Pours really thick.

S: Very strong (boozy) hop-forward and citrusy.

T&M: With the first sip there are lots of citrus and tropical fruit flavors. Finishes a bit bitter. Very thick with mid-level amount of carbonation.

Overall very good. Actually tasted better than described to me by a friend. For some reason drinking this reminds me of the Simpsons when Bart and Milhouse drank that super-squishee (Milhouse takes the first sip and his glasses fly off). (479 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

I know this isn't popular, but I'm not an IPA fan. That being said, this may have turned the boat around for me. Amazing flavor, bold, but smooth. It's the tippy top of an IPA, but it's a heck of a gateway Pale Ale. (215 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

As good as billed. Beautiful orange color; piney and citrusy nose; great mouthfeel and surprisingly gentle taste despite the massive hoppiness and 18% abv. Loved it! (165 characters)

A--Poured on draft, bright orange, light white head.
S--strong alcohol scent, intense malt. Wheres the hops?
T--rich malt. is this a barleywine? Alcohol is strong throughout. Some bitterness coming through but not enough in my opinion
M--very thick, full bodied
O--I gotta be honest I was pretty disappointed here. The booziness was a bit too strong and the malts overpowered the hops. I don't know if they boiled away all the hops but they shouldn't have (461 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer is heavy and hot. It looks common and smells sweet. It has a heavy, sweet, and hoppy taste. The mouthfeel is almost syrupy. Overall I gave it a 4.25 because it has a big bang with the 18% ABV. Otherwise, I would have marked it down for being overly everything. In the end, it was worth the try, but at $3.50 for 4 oz I wouldn't search it out. It was nice to finally try. (387 characters)

Very fruity on the front end as expected. Thick in the mouth with a bitter bite at the end. Not sure it's worth the price tag on a day to day basis, but worth a onetime purchase. (178 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +9.7%

Look 10/10
Smell 18/20
Taste 36/40
Feel 9/10
Drinkability 16/20

Overall 89/100

Real nice huge IPA, has well balance of hops and malt. Also is very easy to drink for 18%+ It is a bit too much for me also a high price tag. It really is a booze bomb. Although this is a great treat for a special occasion~ (387 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Bottled 9/17/14. Pours a well carbonated deep golden glass with very little head lingering as time passes. Nose is big time boozy. Some hop profile in the nose but it definitely takes a back seat to the boozy, malty caramel notes. Taste is enjoyable. No burn but some bite. Sweet malt character shines through. Some brief hop notes in the finish. More hops in the aftertaste than anything. Mouthfeel is thick and heavy. Overall I really enjoyed this. Loved the fresh aspect of it. And while boozy, it was not at all overwhelming. Enjoyable in small quantities. (560 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance: Pours out a bright orange as it flows into your glass, it gets a bit darker-a brownish/orange murky color towards the center. Mild carbonation, and a nice had on top. The head is an off white color and thins out into a multitude of islands covering the top of the beer. Very strong lacing in this ale marks every sip you take.
Smell: Strong hops, grapefruit and orange zest, you can pick up a slight melon aroma the first second on every sniff. There are some other spices I here that make this one hell of a great smelling ale.
Taste: This has a very complicated taste to it, the dryness hits you first and then it breaks up into a whole mess of flavors, hops, orange zest, spices and more. Its very earthy for a DIPA and not overpowering with hops either. Grapefruit and brown sugar seem to mix together as it moves toward the back of your throat. The alcohol is up front in this ale. Its mildly tart on the edges of your mouth.
Mouthfeel: Starts of smooth for the first quick half second, semi dry and full bodied. The alcohol becomes most evident right before you swallow.
Overall: This is one great DIPA and was well worth the wait, I can’t wait to taste this one again, definitely one of the best beers I’ve had in a while. (1,245 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Definitely one of my favorite beers of all time. I think a majority of it has to do with the fact that I enjoy the sweetness that hits you first from the malts on this one. Definitely a chance of pace from other IPAs (216 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

This pours a hazy copper color with a slight head. The aroma is good and bold with hops but nothing over the top like you might imagine with this beer. The taste is big and bold with decent amount of sweetness from the alcohol content and no where near as hoppy as I would have thought. Really flavorful and well made. (318 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz into a snifter, about 6mths in the cellar 2014 edition.

L- semi aggressive pour with a nice white 1inch head, reddish orange, appealing.

S- I can smell the malts right off the bat. Not sure what to expect next since this is high ABV, Slight barleywine characteristics, but not hiding the big DIPA that this is.

T- getting malts and hop bitterness nicely blended. Not a juicy hop bomb that the IBU's would indicate, certainly faded with age in comparison to an un-aged prior sample. Mildly resinous on the back fade.

F - The high alcohol is evident but not with any unexpected bite. Reasonably smooth for such a big brew.

O-really impressed with the age impression on this brew. I'd age a little less for more of the hop character to shine through. The age has certainly transformed this beer into a beer that transcends the normal expectations for a DIPA. Somewhere between a 4.0 and 4.25 overall. Cheers. (916 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -61.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a cognac snifter. It looks hazy orange and its completely opaque.

It smells like nail polish remover that has been seasoned with off hops. It is just terrible. It smells like the orange Old English Wood Soap that I use to mop my floors. This could make paint fall off a shed.

The taste is like some terrible new hop-flavored black rum. I am used to my hop bombs being hop forward, and malts secondary. This is the opposite where the sweetness is front and center and the hops are fighting with it. There is nothing good about the taste of this beer. It tastes like if Admiral Nelson made a port or the type of liquor you use in baking.

The mouthfeel adds to the already less than ideal characteristics, making this beer one of my all time least favorites. I would sooner drink Natural Ice than drink this.

This beer is ambitious and that is all it is. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and I am really glad they are in Bloomington and Indiana on the whole, but this beer frankly is just awful with no redeeming characteristics. I ended up drain pouring it. I have had enough beers like Founders Devil Dancer that I can appreciate an ambitious attempt at making a one-of-a-kind beer, however, this beer is just too much. There is fine line between a pleasant beer, which rather than attacking the palate attempts to work with it, and a beer that fights your palate every step of the way. I wouldn't recommend this beer to my worst enemy. (1,476 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -7.9%

I've really wanted to try this beer for a long time but thought that I would have to travel out of Indiana to get some but little did I know that last week my liquor store in Brownsburg got a few cases! At $10 a pop I only got 2 but I was excited.

A - Deep orange color. Pours thick! Totally opaque from all the hops and malt packed into this beer. Light white head with light lacing.

S - Very strong malt character with lots of alcohol and some raw citrus-type hops. Not any where near the hop smell that I expected. Smells more like a strong barley wine with the malty backbone forcing most of the aromatics.

T - The first sip there are lots of flavors but mostly the rich malt character holds true, then the alcohol "flavor" more than just heat and then the hop resins come with some flavor but mostly just bitterness. The bitterness seems to mask the late addition hops making it feel more like a hop bomb instead of showcasing individual hop flavors. It feels like the alcohol burn sticks to the back of your mouth from the beer's thickness and the hops you can't just exhale the booziness.

M - Super high mouth-feel with lighter carbonation. The thickest IIPA I could ever had even dreamed of; it's basically a 20% American Barley Wine with less of the caramel tones and color.

Overall, a different DIPA experience and not my favorite. I still think that the best way to describe this beer is a super-charged Barley Wine. The alcohol heat burns the hops into your throat. I was disappointed by this beer especially when comparing this to the amazing 90-Minute IPA from DFH which is has tons of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness along with the malt and alcohol but this is the complete opposite. I love hops, bitterness, and straight booze but I think the thickness along with the alcohol burn killed it for me. I will try my other one after a couple other beers to really put me down and hopefully after a few beers the burn won't be so devastating.

Glass- Snifter (1,977 characters)

I'm really not sure how to rate this within the parameters of the style. It's such a big beer the body and high alcohol drown out the hops somewhat. I'd give it a higher score if I could taste more hops than alcohol but it's just so boozy. It's a good beer and very interesting, not a great IIPA. (296 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Another WIN for DFH!!! This one will make your head spin if you drink too many!!! High alcohol content but it is off the charts delicious!!! Go get it and try it, you will NOT be disappointed!!!! (198 characters)

Deliciously stunning and out of this world! It's a heavenly taste that becomes engrained in the palate's memory and one which it will yearn for. I enjoyed and shared this beer while watching a beautiful summer sunset. The beer's bright golden/orange color blended beautifully with the changing sky. As I said, I shared this beer and even half of it got me quite buzzed. This is because the alcohol content is so strong; if you are looking for a beautiful high this is the beer for you. The hops aroma and taste is intense yet it achieves for me a perfect balance with delicious syrupy and caramel like malt sweetness. One of the few beers I can give a 5 to. Quite possibly perfect. We're it not so expensive ($10+ per bottle) my fridge would be stacked with these beauties! (773 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

This was pitched to me as the holy grail of American IPAs. And, you know, it was good but the 18% ABV is a little unnecessary and influences the taste. The beernerd orgasms over the 120 minute didn't connect with me. Maybe it was just too much hype. (249 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Bought and opened same day, poured at fridge temp and allowed to warm up a bit.

A: Gold-orange. Slightly hazy with a sticky head leaving lace all the way down the wall. Really attractive colors coming through

S: Hops and more Hops, nearly overpowering. Some tropical fruits on the nose, as well as something not so sweet. Onion? More wafts bring sweet caramel.

T: Oh my god the sugars, its so sweet! like liquid candy, caramel and bread mixed. The word "cloying" comes to mind but NOT in a bad way. Definitely a sipper. Then the hops, they assault the senses and make you wrinkle your nose, again, NOT in a bad way. As it hits the throat, alcohol makes itself known. Spicy and warm all the way down to the belly.

M: Big, Bold, and Chewy. More of a mouthful that some of the best barleywines

O: A remarkable beer, and fantastic experience. I have two more aging for future enjoyment. (890 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

My problem with DFH 120 is that it's presented as an IPA and it's VERY different from what I was expecting based on that broad categorization. I consider DFH 120 a heavily hopped barley wine, and if you open your first bottle expecting that you'll be better off in my opinion.

The appearance is a nice, hazy orange - it certainly looks like a good IPA.

Smell is sharp and boozy. The hops are there, but overpowered by sweet malty smells mixed with the sharpness of alcohol.

Taste follows the nose. This is a sipper - and a very boozy sipper at that. It's tough to get past the alcohol as it overpowers most of the other flavors. Not really surprising at over 15%, but again, this drinks like a barley wine - not an IPA. There's sweetness from the malts, and definitely hoppy bitterness, but any citrus or fruity flavors take a back seat to the booze.

Mouth is sticky, syrupy, and a little thick. The carbonation is there, but overwhelmed by how sticky it is.

Overall - if you love barley wines you'll probably dig DFH 120. If you (like me) love nicely balanced, smooth, and fruity DIPAs, like Heady, Abner, Ghandi, etc.. then you'll probably be disappointed like I was.

It's possible that the bottle I tried wasn't very fresh and that resulted in less hop flavor and more booze - but from what I've heard 120 is pretty boozy regardless. I'm glad I got to knock it off my list, but I won't be seeking out 120 again. (1,420 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2011 Vintage. Poured into snifter, a honey gold amber with a razor thin off white head. Aroma upon pouring is sweet floral bouquet, honey and caramel malt notes, some brown sugar. Taste same as aroma, has a nice fruity, citrus orange alcohol flavor with a mild hops bite, which has undoubtedly been mellowed by the aging. Plate is a full creamy and smooth body, with good carbonation. The finish is a combination of all the aforementioned taste and flavor, although they intensify as it warms up, the ending is sweet with some light annotations of some vanilla and earthiness and actual bitterness intensifies a bit as well. alcohol seems to be well hidden. Almost barley wine style. Overall a very good, full flavored after dinner drink. (738 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Had this on tap for the first time after many years of drinking bottles. I love this beer no matter how it's served, but I do recommend aging it for about 3 years before drinking. When it's fresh it's all hops and booze. When it's aged all sorts of different flavors emerge, the boozyness goes away and it changes color from blonde to more of an amber. It kind of tastes like bourbon when aged with a nice vanilla/raisin lingering finish. Be careful when drinking, this one will knock you flat on your ass. (507 characters)

Haven’t really cared for Dogfish Head beer. Still felt the need to try this. Hazy copper color. Very little head. Malty alcohol aroma with a mild hop smell. Tastes pretty good actually. Not really an IPA flavor though. Much more like a barley wine. Lots of alcohol burn. Feels more like drinking liquor than beer. I’m glad I have someone to share with. (356 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

You need to drink this beer knowing hat it's probably close to twice as high of an ABV as your typical imperial. Knowing that, you go into it knowing that there will be an alcohol presence in every sip. I drank this one over the course of about an hour or more and by the end as it warmed it mellowed quite a bit. I enjoyed this one for sure. (345 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery