120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,347 | Reviews: 2,197

People expecting an IPA are sorely disappointed with this beer. "120 Minute Barleywine" would be more descriptive. At over 19% ABV, this "beer" packs a punch. Although this was my first time trying it and because I knew what to expect, I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. It's boozy, it's sweet and it aromatic. A solid sipper for sure.

another great beer by a great brewery.

3.91/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2013 vintage, aged at 68 degrees in zero light. Bottle 3 of 2013 batch enjoyed 3/22/15. After two years this batch is finally starting to mellow out. The first bottle was tasted in 2013 and comparable to nitromethane race fuel. The second bottle, aged one year, was tolerable but still very Boozy. Today I enjoyed the third bottle of 2013 dfh 120 and found it much more pleasant, in fact, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very hoppy, foamy white head, still slightly boozy in taste, but at this point no more so than your average imperial ipa. 100% improved from one year ago. Will update next year with bottle number 4 of 2013, and later this year for bottle 2 of 2014.

2.08/5  rDev -49.5%

This beer punches you in the face. It may be for others but not for me with an over abundance of hops which is the idea with this one

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5oz draft pour into a snifter. I was surprised by the initial foamy white head, but it quickly diminished, as did the lacing as I went. Very drinkable for 18%, but a bit of a mediciny booziness. Worth a try, but at $1 an ounce, not the best bang for the buck in the double/triple ipa category.

This beer is ridiculous. The definition of cloying.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried this on tap at Whole Foods. Wow, very well balanced, amazing aroma. Very strong brew, one glass will do. Eveything about this is amazing. Not always available, must get it when it is.

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I loved this beer, but for some people it may be too boozy. Considering its 18%abv you have to expect an alcohol kick. I personally enjoyed it.

4.96/5  rDev +20.4%

this beer is beyond beer it's just awesome

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

High- quality beer but too high octane. Once over 12%... it looses its definition as beer for me. This IPA feels more like a barely wine than an IPA... I think DFH should have quit at the 90- minute... which I would rate much higher. Not worth the premium price for all the other options for solid imperials out there. One-time-buy for me.

3.59/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

I like this beer however it has a very strong alcohol taste and aftertaste

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This review is for a beer that was aged 4 years. It was excellent for a sipper. I shared with friends and the non-beer drinkers also enjoyed.

5's all around on this one. Incredibly high ABV without tasting like booze. Crisp clean and refreshing. Be careful with this one because it is very drinkable with 18% alchohol

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I personally think this beer is best at under a year old. I understand how well it can age with ~18% alcohol, but with it being an IPA, and me being a bit of a hophead from time to time, I think the Hops cut the alcohol beautifully right out of the gates. I have had one fresh and one just over three years old, and I personally like it better fresh.

4.26/5  rDev +3.4%

I really enjoyed this beer on draft at their brewery.

4.71/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

AWESOME beer!!!!! Nothing more needs to be said.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Its was more or less Hop Liquor at this fucking point. I drank 9 ounces on an empty stomach and o boy...Great beer. Great experience. A bit of a let down? I expected 5 out of 5.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle during a bottle share. I only got about 3 ozs and poured into a pilsner glass. Poured a burnt orange, amber color with a thin head that quickly disappeared. Aromas of booze, booze and more booze with some malt and hops lying beneath. Little scared what it might taste like. Turned out to be pleasantly surprised. Yes lots of booze with a little burn on the finish but a nice mix of malts, hops with fruit. Caramelized sugars are in there as well. Sweet taste that lingers on the aftertaste along with hops and booze. Leaves a tangy taste in the mouth. More West Coast IPA than East Coast pine tree. Still sucks the spit out of your mouth like all IPAs. But less than most. However, I am guessing a full glass would dry you out due to the alcoholic content. Probably the perfect beer for outdoor hockey season on a cold day or night. However, I sure as heck wouldn't be driving and drinking more than 1 of these beers.

Amazing must try this for sure

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

This definitely needs some age to it. I am going to review this one again after a year down in the cellar.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this one before on the fly but wanted to take a better look since coming here to BA.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tall tulip glass. Hazy golden amber with thin head and light lacing. Incredibly tiny bubbles but a good amount of them.

Smells of sweetened medium roast malts, cirtusy apricots, brown sugar, and even a little bit of cocoa. WOW this has a lot of things going on. It's difficult even putting a finger on some of the smells since I will type and put it up to my nose and find different things about it. Really complex and not nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be, but in no way is that a bad thing.

Overall an amazing beer and well worth the $13 I paid for a 12oz bottle.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Good. I wad expecting huge things, so I think that's why I wad let down a bit. But still good!

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light brown with thin white head which quickly dissapears. Definetly get a strong scent of alcohol. Tastes of fruit, hops, slight orange tint. The alcohol is fairly present and noticeable on the back end. The strongest beer I have had to date. Is enjoyable but do prefer 90 minute out of the 3 main offerings in the series.

If I was stranded on an island and I could only bring an endless supply of one type of beer with me, this would be the one. I do believe this is the greatest beer I've ever drank in my life. The flavor is awesome and the feeling I get from one is generally clean and positive. I think that sounds strange, but I believe it to be true. Every time I drink this beer I feel happy, whereas with some other beers (not all, of course) it can be quite the opposite.

I wish this beer was a person so I could be good friends with it.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L- Very Attractive burnt orange, amber color. Thin quickly dissipating head

S- Boozy, tingling nose, nice malt and hop balance. Booze kind of overpowers most scent traces.

T- Surprisingly mellow in terms of booze, but still has a distinct burn and alcohol finish. Hops start mostly in the middle and stick through to the finish. Dominated by hops and caramel but still very balanced. Fruit flavors come forward as the beer warms and you sip (and boy is this beer a sipper). A sweetness lingers towards the end from the alcohol that works with the fruity tastes. The "fruit" aspect seems to lack a citrus/tangy flavor that I tend to like in IIPAs, but still a great flavor profile.

F- Chewy mouthfeel. Sticks to the back of your tongue and makes you salivate, which prevents the alcohol and hops from drying out your mouth.

Overall- An easy decision every year to grab. Enjoying this while snowed in and its a perfect late winter beer on a night where you don't need to operate a vehicle or heavy machinery. 90 Minute is still a better IPA in my opinion, but this is a nice and decadent and rich flavored beer to treat yourself with when you can.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery