2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Reviews: 1937

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Ratings: 5,249 | Reviews: 1,937 | Show All Ratings:
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

OH my GAWD is this potent shit!!!

I finally got to have my DFH IPA tasting... 60, 90, and 120 minute side by side. 12 oz. bottles. THAT was an experience... and gave me one HELL of a buzz.

This particular one had almost no head, but did leave lacing on the glass, as the other two did. Visually, all three were pretty close. They were all clear, yellow, and a bit fizzy.

This one's aroma was of intense aromatic hops, overlying a deep malt fruitiness. Like the others, but twice as much. Also, there was an alcohol presence that the others did not have.

The taste... INTENSE bittering hops, smoothing out to a mild bitter pine taste with an alcohol aftertaste. Didn't taste like a 20%, but maybe a 15%. It was definitely there. Again, quite a bit like the others, but doubled.

Mouthfeel was pretty thick... VERY chewy.

And drinkability? The one bottle was enough for me, thanks. Wouldn't want to do more than that.

It was a hell of an experience, one that I think I was glad to have, if I remember it right through the haze. One word of advice... if you're going to try this, don't do it in under an hour. Unless you plan on going to sleep early.

02-13-2005 23:32:44 | More by connecticutpoet
maxpower

Missouri

1.13/5  rDev -72.2%

12 oz bottle pours a hazy orange copper with a small off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass, funny pine aroma like a mix of Pine-Sol cleaner and Off insect repellent. Super sweet orange, maple syrup and alcohol flavors. Full bodied with a thick sticky syrupy mouthfeel, finishes with a lingering sweetness. A 12 oz bottle is too much for me, after only a few sips I am done...way too sweet, hard to dump such an expensive beer but I have no choice.

02-13-2005 20:00:00 | More by maxpower
WesWes

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

The beer pours a hazy reddish gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a warm pale malt scent with a smooth floral hop aroma that balances the elevated abv. nicely. The taste is good. It has a rich and tasety pale malt flavor with some carapils and a warm finish. It is rich in hops as well with a very complex hop palate. It is sweet and satisfying. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an excellent beer that goes down slow, but is a good drinker. I love hops.

02-06-2005 22:55:55 | More by WesWes
mntlover

Tennessee

Pours a deep amber color with a small head that doesn't last no lace but expected none.
Aroma is lots of malt sweet caramel some toffee lots of citrus hops hit the nose at the start but soon fade under the malt.
Woo taste is really sweet lots of candy like sugars then lingering caramel lasts for a while until the citrus hops add some flavor to try and drown out the overwhelming sweetness to no success. This beer needs lots more hops to balance it out. Some alcohol flavors show up here and there but are not strong considering the 20%.
Mouthfeel is big surpy almost very full but how could it not be considering the malt in this beer.
Drinkability is not good way to sweet to be drinkable for me. Still this is a beer everyone try atleast once just to experience it

02-01-2005 21:45:49 | More by mntlover
AlexJ

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

2004 vintage. This is the first time I've had a fresh 120, all other times they were at least a year or two old. I gotta say I like this one fresh.

It pours golden honey colored with a shaggy white head that quickly fades, leaving thick trails of lace in my Delerium tulip. A swirl around the glass shows that it is a thick, viscous brew.

It smells like I'm in a flower garden here. Super bright, floral and orangey citrus hops dominate the nose. Like honey drenched hop flowers, it is a combination of sweet and spicey.

Awesome upfront burst of malt sweetness quickly overshadowed by intense floral, citrus, candied fruit, clover honey, and pinecone flavors. Very deep and complex hops are the highlight.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and coating. Finish is sweet fade into hop oblivion. Alcohol is warming, but does not steal the sceen.

Like I said, I like this much better than the cellared bottled I've had. It's far less sweet, and has a lot better hop profile. I think another 3-4 months may help round it out and mellow the heat a bit, but it tastes pretty damn amazing now!

01-09-2005 20:25:28 | More by AlexJ
Pegasus

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Quite clear medium brassy golden color, moderately carbonated with a small off-white head, which retains well.

Aroma: Devastating floral, orange, and light sweet fruit hop aroma, hiding beneath all of this is some light malt, amazing that it was able to assert itself amidst all of the hop pungency. That being said, the hop aroma is more floral and tangy, rather than being bitter.

Taste: Incredibly sweet caramel malt balanced against intense, but mild hop flavors. The staggering alcoholic content of twenty percent goes largely unnoticed in the taste, due to the sweet malt character, tangy light fruit notes, and lesser hops, although it is quite warming. Finishes with a note that is slightly reminiscent of port.

Mouth feel: Very smooth, quite thick and syrupy, feels like a cordial on the palette.

Drinkability/notes: A most interesting creation, quite difficult to categorize. Those expecting over the top hop bitterness will be disappointed; it has a very high alcoholic content, but this goes largely unnoticed until afterwards, so it lacks a significant characteristic of Old Ale or Barley wine. Well worth a try, if only to ponder over. Considering the alcoholic content, a beer that is best shared, rather than consumed alone in silence.

01-01-2005 19:36:38 | More by Pegasus
redmosquito

2.93/5  rDev -27.8%

Well, I do consider myself a hophead so let's see. It pours a cloudy copper color with a decent head out of the 12oz bottle. The aroma is definately hops, overpowering any malt and even that 21% alcohol. My first guess is a citrusy centennial or amarillo hop, but as I let it sit my nose tells me piney northern brewer, or possibly chinook. The flavor is surprisingly harsh, with the hop flavor being somewhat grassy and medicinal. There just doesn't seem to be enough malt flavor to balance the hops. I am impressed at the subdued nature of the alcohol. My palate seems a little sore from the harshness. Overall, I like what they are doing, and the idea, and the product delivers in the aroma, but I was disappointed with the overall product.

12-28-2004 16:57:10 | More by redmosquito
BeerBuilder

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Pours to a deep golden color with minimal white head and a bit of lacing. The aroma is citrusy with a bit of grapefruit, balanced out by a solid malt backbone. Alcohol is present in the aroma as well. The flavor is malty and sugary sweet. It has a citrus hop flavor throughout, along with alcohol. It is medium-full in body and easy drinking considering its strength. Not a bad brew. Well balanced. I thought that this was going to be over the top bitter, but that was not the case. Nice.

12-26-2004 04:52:10 | More by BeerBuilder
schemb

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

I violated my review rules and read another review before I wrote this one. Here's why - I had different experience with the same tap: Spuyten Duyvel, Bkln 11/27/04. Ok, yeah, its stong as hell and yes kinda like bourbon. I found it to be frighteningly drinkable though. I did only have one, so as not to make the early morning rain swept holiday traffic commute back to Boston that much worse. It was well hopped but also well balanced - quite an accomplishment at its strength. I had a hard time believing it was 20%, sure its a sipper, but I didn't labor to finish it. Maybe it was at the magic spot in the keg, maybe the Cantillon I had before it was the perfect warmup, or maybe I have alien DNA but I found 120 to be a real pleasure. I have the impression that in the bottle this is much more of a beast but the magic of the tap's introducing some air and letting out some of the demon spirit really tamed it.

12-02-2004 22:55:02 | More by schemb
Sixpoint

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

I had this beer on tap at... where else? Spuyten Duyvil.

I don't know how to exactly rate this beer according to style, because let's face it, are there really any other beers in its class?

It's 20% alcohol, and nobody even comes close. An American Double IPA? Lol. This stuff is a licquer.

I have to give them props for the nice appearance. To have a beer this strong and this light in color (a nice amber hue) is pretty amazing. It obviously took a lot of malt to achieve the gravity, even if they only took the first runnings.

The smell was pretty good too. Obviously, it was packed with aroma hops, but then again, I think it was necessary. Underneath the smell of hops was the lingering of higher fusel alcohols, and it could be detected more and more with every whiff.

The taste? Well, it was balanced, but then again, it kind of tasted like gasoline.

The mouthfeel was pretty good. It was thinner than what I expected for being so high in alcohol.

I don't think this beer is very drinkable. As a matter of fact, it's only a sipper. It just doesn't go down easy. But I think that's how it's meant to be, one glass and you're done. But it was a struggle, even if it was only one glass.

11-30-2004 13:37:13 | More by Sixpoint
blitheringidiot

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Label Lingo and bottle babble: Rather plain 12 oz’er with a single label hop leaf decorated label. Brewed in 2004 notch. Cap: Lime green with a black triangle and shark silhouette.

Clear orange glow under a statuesque rock solid antique white tightly constructed head cap and endless champagne bubbles rising. Lace? Try paint. A few swirls erupts this to a coating that sticks.

Pungent sweet hop oil and pine sap aromas like a nugget of hops. Grassy blast with some malt to back up this out of control hop tornado.

First Swigs: Fusel burning hop juice. My tongue is blasted off the perception map after one sip. Burn goes down the gullet. There can be no description written to describe this cooker. My tongue is torched. Seriously speaking, there is an orange juice concentrate flavor. Under the avalanche of fusel hops, some malt character emerges. Complex as complex can be.

Full bodied, coating like a Home Depot roller was rolled on my tongue. Coated like a sip of Ouzo 12. Despite the hotness and isopropyl notes, this sucker is drinkable. Another would be most appreciated, if there were another.

Last Swigs: Rummy awl-kee-hawl pine hop syrup. Calling this an Imperial IPA is like calling rocket fuel Imperial gasoline. This is the stuff that other IPAs are made of add water. This is the first time that a beer inspired me to reflect upon the condition of my esaphagous. The most references to body parts ever used. This is just an insane brew. For making it and for drinking it. This is a 100% MUST HAVE for those that dare. Otherwise, you are not missing much of a burn and hop oil imbiber. All reviews from BA are loooong. This punishes your tongue (and liver) more so than Ruination. 90 minute plus rum.

$7.95 from Circle Liquors, NJ.

Beer is good. Happy 20% ABV beering.

11-24-2004 04:03:31 | More by blitheringidiot
HochFliegen

Oregon

2.53/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours a deep orange color with a descent size head with nice lacing.
The smell was very malty. I guess that has something to do with the 20% abv. The sweetness was overpowering in the smell and I could hardly discern any floral notes.
The taste hit right away with a massive flow of sweet malt. Too much in my opinion.(perhaps I should have let it sit longer than the 6months) It seemed more like sugar water than a beer since it was on the lower side of carbonation. Not much of a hoppy bite like in the traditional IPA. I will give it this; being 20% abv I was expecting a very strong alcohol taste, it wasnt there it was smooth in the texture and taste.

11-11-2004 02:34:32 | More by HochFliegen
markman

Connecticut

3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (12 oz):

OK, the wife is away for the night...so I'll spend the evening with a big IPA. Yeah, I know DFH says it's an IPA but one sip says this ain't no IPA. A sweet barleywine-ish mix of cooking sherry (yeah, I know ya' shouldn’t cook with wine ya' wouldn't drink...but, I digress) and maple syrup really. It's cloying sweetness diminishes somewhat as it warms, but still not much fun to drink/sip/whatever. The high ABV makes it a serious sipper, but it is too damn sweet to do anything else with it no matter the ABV. This was a 2004 bottling of the 12 oz version...and a stark contrast to what I enjoyed on tap at the AOBF '03. I gotta say though, the 20% ABV is well disguised...no small feat. I still have an '03 750 ml original in the cellar, and after this 12 oz version I'm thinking I'll let that bad boy sit for quite some time.

Cooking Sherry (working Def): Sherry with added salt...undrinkable and for cooking only.

Cheers...

11-08-2004 02:26:30 | More by markman
Fish113d

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

This is the 'O4 version I am pouring from a 12 oz. bottle to which I am still not sure the difference between 12 oz. bottles and the larger bottles and why that would affect taste, so respond to me and tell me if you know...

anyways, I poured this MOST anticipated IPA into my goblet, which I call Trusty, and was blown away by how clean it poured. It poured a coppery, amberish also in color, and left a nice 1/4" head that left nice lacing on the sides of Trusty.

To smell it...oh my GOD! Can I get some hops with my sugar please!!!???? The hops smell was suprising subtle next to the smell of sugary sweetness w/ tones of citrus in there as well. As I began to tilt the glass to sip, the hops shot up my nostrals and left me with some delightment.

Taste- Okay, I am biased about DogFish Head in that I enjoy their beers maybe more than from any other brewer, but I have to say that after having the 90 minute, I didn't think it could get any better than that...well, it did...a half hour of hopping sure makes a difference in taste and feel. From the start the 20% alcohol doesn't mess around and hits you with burn right away. It makes it tough to taste any hops, which you do get some there and they come on at the end of the swallow and leave a great aftertaste, along with lots of sugar there. Due to the carbonation and alcohol burn along with hops, I almost got a peppery taste in there that was interesting.

Mouthfeel- aside from the destruction of my palette due to alcohol burn (yager style), this beer is a very creamy, full-bodied Imperial IPA to which no others can hang with! Decent carbonation there, bitey alcohol; what more can you ask for from DogFish?

I wanted to wait for a few years to crack this, but I had a hardon (almost literally) when I got this bottle and I knew I couldn't wait...i am glad I didn't...but I know the next bottle will sit for a year or so!

11-03-2004 02:23:53 | More by Fish113d
Ego

4.63/5  rDev +14%

regarding the other reviews, I suspect this wouldnt be as good in a bottle, but I was lucky to get it on tap (4 oz serving in a snifter). You don't immediately sense the alcohol at all, and the light brown color throws you off (but seems consistent with the style). I too thought that at 20% + it might be barley wine style-ish but on tap it was not nearly as syrupy as say foghorn or bigfoot. Dogfish hit a homerun in my book, for this depth this is unreal. You could slug this stuff if challenged but yet sipping provided a much nicer experience. I really did not feel an overwhelming alcohol nose or flavor. It flowed nicely with barely any head, correct carbonation, just enough to slide over the tongue. After a little 4 oz version the alcohol hits you, the strength on the start is way less than barley wine in notice-ability imo, although I understand the comparison. It was very light feeling on the stomach consisdering the strength of the brew. It had a nice light mahogany color, and very clear, not much lace on the glass after sips. On tap, this is an absolutely great beer, on bottle? Read the other reviews.

11-01-2004 05:43:28 | More by Ego
brewnut11

3.45/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First of all, let me say that I think Dogfish Head is one of the best craft brewerys in the world. Now after saying that I have tried alot of thier beers and have been looking for the 120. I bought a bottle of it for 17 dollars and rushed home to taste it. I was immediately dissapointed. It is a good beer however I love hoppy beer and looked as though this one would be the holly grail (it wasn't). Very Sweet and alcoholic, which drowns out alot of the hop flavors. This is a great barley wine and should be classified as a barley wine. I haven't had a beer that has beat my expectations of 90 minute IPA. i thought this one would do it, and it didn't.

10-31-2004 02:57:44 | More by brewnut11
AllThingsNinja

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

After hearing and reading so much about this brew, I expected transcendence. Those lofty expectations were likely unjust, but the beer seems to have missed more modest marks. While it's lovely, a light and fiery red orange, the brew seems surprisingly simple. There are three notes that show up repeatedly- resinous hops, sugary sweetness, and alcohol. The beer smells and tastes the same. It's oversweet, tasting more like a sweetened barleywine than an IPA. I could almost feel the sugars crystallizing on my tongue. The beer feels saturated with sugar. For a sipping beer, this brew was almost, but not quite, tedious to drink.

10-30-2004 11:54:46 | More by AllThingsNinja
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

Found this at a very reasonable price and have wanted to try it so...Nice pale copper color. Theres just a sheen of head but thats really all I would expect given the abv. No where near the aroma I expected-while floral and hoppy its somewhat subdued. Almost reminds me of that "new capret" smell. Theres also a slight sweetness to it.

Wonderful flavor. Big,big assertive hop rush-very citrusy. A caramel like sweetness and a slight,slight alcohol finish behind it all. It really is very well balanced overall. Velvety smooth but for the slight alcohol burn. Again the burn is not unpleasant its just the way it finishes.

Man I could have a few of these!!!! 20%? Where? Didnt know what to expect-had heard a few negatives but this is a killer beer. Would love to have it on tap and "Randallized"-I can just imagine.

10-29-2004 00:52:27 | More by lackenhauser
kbub6f

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Pouring violently gives a small, dense, white head. The beer is hazy, coppery amber and clears as it sits. It has a sweet, rich, nutty, piney, grapefruity, plum pudding nose. It's a very nice hop perfume. The beer starts hugely sweet: caramely, fruity. Sweet malt in the thick middle gives way to a sweet, ripe=plums finish. Obviously, there are hops and alcohol in there too, but neither is overpowering. This is really quite a surprising beer. It's extremely sweet, and the alcohol is warming, but not overpowering. Very good. Better than I expected.

10-27-2004 21:48:06 | More by kbub6f
xgrigorix

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Twelve ounce brown bottle. Year of brewing notched on label.

Deep burnished golden colour. Capped by a thick, rich off white head. Nice lace.

Dense piney hop aromas are dominant.

Richly sweet. Apples & other fruity flavours are all over the place. Huge pine loaded hop flavours with a touch of lemon zest to keep it interesting. Tongue, throat, & belly are left warmed from the high alcohol level, along with some sticky sweetness left on the lips. Medium-full bodied, modest carbonation. Quite a unique & interesting brew.

10-25-2004 17:28:02 | More by xgrigorix
JohnnyDuvel

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow! I expected this brew to be somewhat overwhelming, but it was smooth and delicious. I certainly could taste plenty of alcohol (Especially towards the end), but not much more than some much lower ABV beers. Lots of hops, and a great malt backbone. Overall balance leans to the malt, as expected. Appearance similar to other IPA's, and it (amazingly) had some head and lacing! I was feeling a little under the weather, so I broke this out (I've had it for a while). It has taken about three years for my palate to adjust to some of the truly over-the-top brews, but this was a real pleasure to drink. I hope I can find it again.

10-22-2004 16:29:11 | More by JohnnyDuvel
oracle

Indiana

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

After hearing about this beer for so long, I was greatly anticipating the chance to have direct from the keg. This beer is re-dry hopped every day for a month and as a hop-head, I figured this would be a real treat. At 20% abv, this is the 2nd highest abv I've ever tried.

Beer arrived in a tulip style ale glass. Medium to light yellowish-tan with creamy dense head peeking playfully above the rim. The head had tremendous staying power and left very heavy lacing. It's a rather pretty beer.

Smell was absolutely nothing like I expected. I was expecting a tremendous over-the-top blast of hops like nothing I've ever smelled before. What I got was an interesting balance of citrus hops along with carmel and vanilla. Strong alcohol presence in the nose as well. It's smelled more like a fine liquer than a beer, but in a good way.

Taste was absolutely incredible. Lots of sweet carmelized malts, medium cascade hops presense and a ton of alcohol. Strong vanilla flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel was heavy and strong, a little syrupy. This is a beer to sip VERY slowly.

I'm not sure this is going to be in the weekly (or even monthly) rotation of my regular beers, but I can see having one to celebrate special occasions. Would make a great beer for toasting with at New Years celebrations.

10-12-2004 13:34:27 | More by oracle
SteveP

United Kingdom (England)

2.13/5  rDev -47.5%

Bottle. Gentle citric aroma. Huge syrupy thick flavour - spicky and shocking, almost revolting. Doesn't invite further investigation - in fact, the opposite. A gagging action comes into operation after a few sips. A true drain pour. A crude and excessive beer that doesn't taste as if it's been fully brewed out.

10-10-2004 23:21:25 | More by SteveP
finepaws

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured a dark golden orange, somewhat cloudy color. Small white head, was creamy then dissipated, to an out lacing. Smelled very floral. Tastes sweet, not hoppy as I expected. Warming as it goes down. Thick mouthfeel. Aftertaste somewhat bitter, leaving a taste of alcohol. Drinkability? Not all night, I'm guessing one's enough. But I will definetly have it again! Very pleasing and completely new taste for me.

09-30-2004 01:21:54 | More by finepaws
granger10

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

2003 edition

Golden yellow copper appearance. Very interesting. Slight head that disappears quickly. Smell is grapefruity, floral hops, and lots of alcohol. I really can't believe the way the alcohol hides in the taste here when cold but becomes so apparent as it warms. Maple syrup texture mixed in with an upfront honey sweetness. Lots of residual sugars. Alcohol, though hidden well by the sweetness, tries to offset the syruppy texture and cloying aspects to some avail but ultimately suffers. It does however provide another depth of flavor. Slight grassy hops lie underneath but are faint until the finish. They are stronger in the finish but here the alcohol kick comes in for real. I feel it trickle down my body warming me up instantly. That is very good and very intense but the flavor profile seems to lack a depth or creativity that the really excellent beers have. However, I am very glad I tried it and will get a few more to have when the occassion calls for it, maybe anytime in the Michigan winter.

09-27-2004 23:50:52 | More by granger10