120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

3.88/5  rDev -2%

Type: Imperial American IPA
Color: Dark gold color
Body: Lightly carbonated.
Head: Big off white colored head. Really added flavor and lasted a while.
Taste: Very sweet. Piney and fruits up front. Very hoppy but not kicking your ass.
Aroma: Hops and citric smell. Caramel and fruit.

This was definitely a beer that I did not expect to be 18% ABV. I was able to try it in one of my new beer glasses. The head was fantastic and really added flavor. Having tried their 60 Minute IPA, I really want to try their 90 Minute IPA.

4.77/5  rDev +20.5%

Serving type: 12oz bottle served in a snifter.

Appearance: Hazy golden brown, virtually no head. Lethargic bubbles struggle to reach the surface. This could be dangerous.

Smell: Fresh hops, fruity, floral, sweet, sweet malts.

Taste: Candy sweet. I think I'll need to brush and floss after this one.Offensive hoppy kick. Zing! The high alcohol content isn't noticeable until it makes it's way into your digestive tract. Mommy!!?!?!?

Mouthfeel: Huge body, thick syrupy mouthfeel.

Drinkability/Overall: Needless to say, drink this beast in moderation. Quite an outstanding specimen. This is definately one for the cellar. Wow!

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

My only response to this "beer" is to treat it as you would treat a fine liquer. Heck, it's 42 proof

The appearance is wonderful, fairly light head with very tight bubbles. Carbonation is minimal in this beer.

Loved the aroma, not as aggressively hoppy as I was anticipating.

The taste is super concentrated, hints of bitter citrus (maybe grapefruit?)

The mouthfeel is almost too thick, even syrupy.

Drinkability, if you treat it right it's very drinkable. Split a glass with two other people. Savor it.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

This is quite a unique beer in itself. It is by far the strongest I have ever tasted. The strength borders a liquor. The taste and color is exceptional, but this beer is definitely a sipping drink. Maybe 2 or 3 on any particular night is plenty for that night. The smell is very sweet, I like the smell of the beer. The mouthfeel is very sweet also. The drinkability is semi difficult because it is a lighter beer that is very strong. I recommend anyone to try this beer at least once.

4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

One of my favorite beers of all time

Excellent finish and clean taste.Not as hoppy as some IPA'S. Can not tell that it is 21% by the taste, only when you give it time to process in the liver!!

Very hard to find sometimes since it it only released 3 times yearly

Excellent Job Sam

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a nice hazy orange with at least a two finger foamy head. Good retention and some stickiness.

Smell hits you with spicy citrus notes. The smell of alcohol is somewhat present too.

Taste is very sweet and syrupy. Hops aren't really that bitey, but are there for sure. Really a smooth beer all the way down. Never harsh at all. Maybe this bottle has been sitting around for awhile and tamed a bit.

Drinkability is very good when your just drinking one every once in awhile, but considering the alcohol it packs I can't give it a higher score. Too bad, because this is a really good brew that I would have loved to be able to drink one after the other. I guess 90 minute will have to do. ( :

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%

Fantastic Pour but the head didn't last too long. Deep amber color and just slightly cloudy. Highly aromatic with hints of raisins, and a slight hint of ethanol. It's suprising how easily it is to drink. The taste is complex without aging and almost flowerful. It finishes with a slight taste of ethanol and alittle warmth when swallowed. Overall a great beer!

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

12 oz., bottled 7-8-08

a: pours hazy copper with a solid beige head that fades quickly but leaves beautiful lacing.

s: sweet fruit up front, plum, raisin, banana, then whiffs of oak and hops.

t: powerful malt/fruity sweetness, so overpowering that's all i could taste from beginning to end.

m: thick and chewy with medium carbonation.

d: way too sweet, but i've got three left from the same batch, i'm thinking one every two years to gauge the changes as it ages. this was my least favorite of the dogfish head 20 percenters.

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

a: bronze and turbid with slight haze that was probably due to my serving it too cold. finely b
eaded, thin and wispy but lasting head.

a: pears and apples. winey? minimal hops. etoh!!

taste: sweet and ?cidery?. hop note there and bitterness is there but its overwhelmed by sweetness. not being a big dogfish fan, i didnt realize that this was 21% when i opened it. I was suprised by the alcohol in aroma but this beer hides it amazingly well in taste. i would have guessed 12% before i read other reviews. alcohol more prevalent as it warms. lingering maltiness that is not in initial taste.

mouthfeel: tart and viscous(cant bring myself to type syrupy)

overall: not what i was expecting. my initial impression was not good(mentioned that it was served cool). a unique experience indeed. dfh should think about re-categorizing this beer, so as not to have people expecting a typical dipa although i cant find a reason that it doesnt technically fit. one of my first questions was "would i recognize this as beer if i didnt know?" would i pay 10$ for another? yes but just barely and i'd split it with at least one other person, because i need a nap.

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

a- Poured a slightly cloudy orange, not amber, but orange, like almost orange soda orange, with a half inch head that reduced to a thin ring with a film of bubbles after a minute. Minimal to no lacing on the glass, possibly due to high alcohol.

s- The smell is strange, it basically smells just like a barley wine, and not at all like I was expecting. I'm smelling a slight pine scent, brandy/bourbon, barley wine, sugar, and alcohol.

t- It's not the most complex beer, but considering the high alcohol content it tastes very smooth. It tastes similarly to barley wine, with an almost white-grape flavor, caramel, and coriander up front, then a warming alcohol zing, especially as it warms, and then a bitter citrus flavor on the finish.

m- The mouthfeel doesn't really stand out as a factor in this beer for me either way. It isn't bad, but it's not exciting. I'm glad that it's not too thick though.

o- I give it a 4 overall because if it ages well I can see how it would be very good aged. I also think that considering how high powered this beer is, it's damn well balanced. I wish it we're a little less sweet and a bit more bitter, but alas.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Poured a nice golden amber/orange with a thin head.

S: Very strong dried apricot and citrus aroma, gave way to a rather strong alcohol waft when swirled in the glass.

T: Very smooth and full flavored, sweet with a warming alcohol finish. The first dinks were fruity with hints of citrus, after I had a chance to warm a bit; it gave way to a very sweet honey and raisin flavor.

M: Very thin mouthfeel due to the high alcohol content and low carbonation. A small sip went a long way to coat all of your taste buds.

O: A great beer to try. Not only is a great tasting, but it a great conversation piece to sit and share with a friend.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Dogfish heads 120 minute is, like all of their IPA's nicely crafted and very flavorful. When poured it has a opaque golden color with a thick creamy and persistent head. The flavor is a blend of pine, hops, and citrus, there is a boozy undertone but thats to be expected with a dipa. The mouth feel is creamy and thick. Overall its a solid beer, not the best this brewer has to offer but a great IPA none the less.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this one before on the fly but wanted to take a better look since coming here to BA.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tall tulip glass. Hazy golden amber with thin head and light lacing. Incredibly tiny bubbles but a good amount of them.

Smells of sweetened medium roast malts, cirtusy apricots, brown sugar, and even a little bit of cocoa. WOW this has a lot of things going on. It's difficult even putting a finger on some of the smells since I will type and put it up to my nose and find different things about it. Really complex and not nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be, but in no way is that a bad thing.

Overall an amazing beer and well worth the $13 I paid for a 12oz bottle.

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%

This stuff is a whopper. The real deal. Bought a single bottle from DFH Brewings and Eats in Rehoboth. Drank it one night on the porch in a standard pint glass. Open er up, get a whiff. Wow. Felt loaded just smelling it. Hops bitterness will hit you, but it's perfectly balanced with syrupy sweetness. Very big beer. Felt like I was burping raw hop flowers the whole night. This one worths the high price tag per bottle. Had a tough time getting up out of the chair after I finished it though, beware.

4.74/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally decided that because I got hired for a new job, I had to open my 120 that was bottled in September 2014. It's the first time I'm having one and I couldn't wait any longer.

A: Hazy, dark orange/brown. I'm unable to physically see my fingers through the glass.

S: I was surprised here. I was expecting a harsh west coast smell, but it's actually much more malty, with a subtle smell of hops, and alcohol on the back.

T: Starts off almost like a white wine, with a malty back, and then a slight bitter hops, before the booze hits on the back. Not at all like any beer I've had, and it almost pushes a wine/liquor drink. It has a roasty oak flavor that is something special as well. As it warms a more grapefruit note comes through as the malt takes a back seat.

F: Not the thickest beers I've drank, but it has some body. It actually is quite smooth, and carbonated well. I've had a 16% before, and this one is 100x easier to drink than the 16% I had.

O: As I find myself getting boozed up off of one beer, I can't help but be amazed at what I'm drinking. It's an experience like no other, and just because it's a 120 min IPA, don't expect it to be a hop bomb. It's very complex, and is something everyone needs to be willing to throw the money at and try.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
A: Pours a deep copper with a reasonable head, especially given the abv.
S: Initial aromas of crystal malts, hops, and alcohol come through in the nose.
T: I got flavors of something resemblling ethyl alcohol, a pretty sizable level of malt complexity, hop resins, and hop flavor as I let it slowly expand across my palate in very small and controlled sips.
M: The finish was relatively sweet, but certainly not cloying; a feat in a beer with a starting gravity as high as this one must have had.
Overall, this was unlike nearly every other beer I’ve ever had. High alcohol but drinkable... Be careful.

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Quick review. Bottled 2/23/13. Pours Amber with a 2 finger head. Smells of citrus, sweet fruits, pine. Taste goes straight to the middle with citrus and has a lingering pine on the back. Mouthful is dry and full. Overall this is a great ipa.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer is not as good as the 90 minute version. Dont get me wrong it is a nice beer but they went a little over the top even for a hop head like me. The aroma is wonderful flowers and pine very nice. The taste unfortunatly leave the nice bitter bite of its little brother into the taste of pine resin.
If you have never had it give it a try but if you don LOVE hops it is not for you

4.64/5  rDev +17.2%

Found a bottle of this at Trinity Hall Irish Pub in Dallas. The server said they only had a few left so I had to take the opportunity even at $16 for the bottle, especially seeing as it's not even legal to sell here in Collin County.

A - Lovely, deep golden brown colour with a creamy head which, unfortunately, didn't last too long.

S - I've recently been getting into dessert wines, so I could pick out notes I recognised from those on this beer. Definite honeysuckle notes, and I'm thinking tangerine, or at least something similar, along with some smooth caramel.

T - I never really imagined the possibility of a dessert beer, but this definitely qualifies. Again those sweet honeysuckle and caramel notes, with enough bittering hops to remind you that, yes, this is a beer. Surprisingly little alcohol flavour for a beer that weighs in at 20%.

M - Smooth, creamy and thick but without ever being cloying. Also, once it goes down it doesn't leave the somewhat sour aftertaste I've found a lot of the higher percentage beers have. I could feel this slide down my gullet as I swallowed and it definitely added a little warmth on this below-freezing night.

D - You know what? Were it not for the price tag and the fact that the pub quiz was over, I could have ordered another. While it's a definite sipper, the high alcohol content really doesn't make this as stand-alone as you'd expect it to. I enjoyed and could quite happile enjoy another!

4.51/5  rDev +13.9%

Seems like finding this beer is like finding the lost city of Atlantis. It ranks in my top 5 without a doubt. It pours a gorgeous deep amber and has a hoppy nose. A bit heavy on the mouthfeel and a bit of a heavy finish, albiet a plesant one. Very hoppy, in the tradition of true ipas

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Beer poured a deep orange with very thin white head due to the high alcohol. Very clear and very nice.

The aroma is of tangerines (from hops), malts and alcohol.

The taste is sweet and full of citrus notes, mostly tangerine with a bit of grapefruit tartness balancing the sweetness slightly. Lots of alcohol warming from the lips to the stomach, but not much alcohol flavor it's over powered entirely by the malty sweetness and wonderful hop flavors.

This beer is very thick and heavy. Unlike anything I have tried.

This is a big boy beer no dought. If you don't drink 10% + beers on a regular basis this will knock you out. I couldn't get enough and was disapointed only in how fast I was able to drink it and wonder if I would ever spend $10 on a 12oz. bottle of beer again.

4.41/5  rDev +11.4%

Got really lucky. Got the last bottle at the local binnys. They got 8 total, and I happened to be next on the call list. 2011 106 1 on bottle.

A: Beautiful dark amber. Gorgeous looking. Nice lacing.

S: I get tropical citrus fruits on the nose. Smells amazing. Hardly any alcohol in the smell.

T: Very surprised at how different this tastes. Very balanced for how high the ABV is. I really like this. Nice fruit flavor, with a nice hop bite. Awesome malt finish. Really a special brew.

M: Thickest ipa I've ever had. Similar mouthfeel to a WWS.

A great brew, if you are lucky enough to find one. Bravo DFH!!

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Lets get right to it people. This beer stands as one of the most unique brews I have ever had. A colossal 18-21%abv, an IPA that scares most away, but the ones that dare to try it are truly amazed. I would say it may not be something that a stereotypical " hophead" would potentially enjoy, because it does not possess the bite of hops that one would expect. Don't get me wrong, the hops are certainly present and ready to drop nuclear bombs on your palate, but it is a smooth, maple syrupy texture/taste that really makes this beer excel. Not a hint of alcohol, some mild heat going down, no burn in the throat whatsoever. It is not even overwhelming in any fashion, which of course is a positive considering the ABV and how easily this venture could have gone horribly wrong. Smooth, maple syrupy and full of hops, this beer is simply excellent.

4.49/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have had this many times both on draft and by this bottle. THis is without a doubt an extreme brew. I think of it as the port of beers. Big Alcohol and Sugary hops up front, tropical and dark fruits as it warms. Very rich mouthfeel, similar to high end BW's. Taste is toffee, maple coated hops, figs, and booze. I feel it gets even better with age. Drink this bad boy over and evening and smell and taste the wonderful change as it warms.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery