120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,128 | Reviews: 2,126
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light orangy pale amber. Tiny bubbles, leaving lace. This beer simply is too sweet, but I love it. My wife (bless her) put "some beers" in the fridge for me. Including this one, that I planned to keep around for a year or two before trying, oh well.
This is thick, syrupy stuff. Heavy on the malt, not quite balanced by the hops. Notes of oranges, alcohol, and more alcohol, and grand marinier, very warming. Would be great with desert or by the fire on a chilly winter night.Probably will improve with age, I've got one more bottle, I'll hide it better...

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Had on tap when the Bros. came to brew for EBF. This is a test batch made at the brewpub.

A: Came in a snifter glass. Hazy orange in color with a very white one finger head. Left some really nice lacing all the way down the glass. Had some small carbonation bubbles released.

S: Smells extremely fresh, extremely sweet with lots of grapefruit. I get some pine, but it is really light and different than most pine aromas on IPAs, hard to place it though. Get some caramel malts on the end.

T: Lots going on here. Extremely sweet and candied. Has a honey flavor and citrus hops, very earthy. The grapefruit comes through as does some orange peel. On the first sip there was a little bit of alcohol, but the rest of it surprisingly did not have much of a booze presence.

M/D: Thick and creamy. Much smoother than anticipated. Very fine bubbles give it a really nice mouthfeel. The alcohol was there a bit, but really not that bad. Its a sipper for sure, but I really didn't have trouble drinking it at all. Wouldn't have guessed it to be 18% if I didn't already know. Not an everyday beer, but a nice treat.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Bottled 12/18/05

Wow, the drinkability really surprised me here. It was a sipper, but a fine one for the alcohol. I guess its had some time to mellow, but still. The boozey flavors were very low with estery malts and and fruit punch hops flavor. I remarked to a friend that it tasted like "hops candy." Its not the richest or most complex beer, but its good and its different.

3.57/5  rDev -13.1%

12oz bottle poured into dogfish head pint glass (bottled 1/18/08)

A- Dogfish head 120 pours a very golden color with a slight touch of copper that appears quite thick. A slightly aggressive pour produces a nice sized head that dwindles down to a thin sheet. A nice amount of bubbles and debris is seen floating throughout the glass.

S- 120 has a super strong smell of sweet malts and some alcohol is present, but not as much as you would think coming from a 21% beer. Caramel on top of citrusy hops with some floral qualities. The dominance of the malts makes for a syrupy smell.

T- similar to the smell with a start of an enormous amount of malt sweetness backed with a nice hop presence. the alcohol is present in the finish as the heat is noticed going down. the sweetness consists of caramel and sugars with a bit of grapefruit coming through. It's almost like i'm drinking syrup which is kind of weird, but most DFH offerings are considered weird to me.

M- Thick, thick and thick, with a full body. I have to say though that for a beer of this size it is pretty smooth going down.

D- For 21% very drinkable but i had to check myself after i found myself drinking this a bit fast. after the 1st few sips i could feel the alcohol taking effect. this is a big beer for big boys & girls who are down for a challenge so be prepared.

I have a 2005 version of this & will buy a fresh bottle to compare, but not until i have two people to help me with it.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

I split a bottle of this with the other Matt a few days ago. Bottle from my cellar. Vintage December 2006.

The beer is hazy and orange / ruby hued. The head is insubstantial, and leaves only faint traces of lacing behind.

The aroma is dominated by a large alcohol and hop presence, despite the nearly five years of aging.

The taste is very bold and assertive, with notes of sweet fruits and a lot of booze. Hop presence is still there, though less forward than in a fresh bottle. The beer is more of an American barleywine than double IPA.

This is a seriously high octane beer. Three to four ounces is more than enough. A 12 oz. bottle could easily be shared four to six ways.

Overall, this was a decent brew. However, I much prefer beers like J.W. Lees if I want a beer of this ilk, i.e. strong and sweet.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a hazy amber color with thin white head. Aroma is dominated by hops of course but there is also a strong alcohol presence. This is an extremely hoppy beer that is to be sipped slowly. Although the flavor is dominated by bitter hoppiness, I feel that the 21% abv provides a strong alcohol taste and warmth that takes away from this flavor. I liked this beer very much but wished that the high abv was masked a bit more.

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (2011 Vintage)

Appearance: Pours a dark ruby, clear with a very large pillowy head. Retention is understandably short livid, but some lace and a ring is left behind.

Smell: Oh My are the first thoughts. Alcohol and fresh smelling hops, notes of caramel, almost like an Eisbock. Lots of alcoholic esters are playing with an underlying sweetness, bringing to my senses aromas I never knew existed.

Taste: Big malt sweetness, piney hops stuggle to take hold. Alcohol is quite present, and the brew tastes eerily similar to some examples of the Eisbock style, where a portion of the beer is frozen to concentrate the flavors (and ABV). Mild pineapple notes are present as well, as is some erratic ale fruityness. Sugary malt and booze sticking to the back of the throat. Wood tones are also present, perhaps from the hops or is this wood aged? A symphony of flavors, if everyone in the symphony was drunk.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, lightly carbonated, alittle syrupy with lots of warming booze.

Overall: This is extreme beer. It is good but must be prepared for. When finished, where does one go? Wherever that is, you will find me there.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

On tap at the Blue Dog Pub...
Appears an amber color with a small white head that retains nicely and sticks around the glass with solid webbing and lace.
Smell is of intense sugary malt with tons, and tons, and tons of hop varieties. I'm getting rich biscuit, bread, followed by massive amounts of pine, citrus, grapefruit, orange, pineapple.
Taste is equal to the aromas in terms of intensity. To me, this is really the 90 minute stepped up a notch but it's a little harder to handle due to the high abv and intense flavors.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, sugary, bitter, and bread-like chewy.
Drinkability is good. This certainly didn't come across as being a 21% abv in the chalice but I was feeling it by the end of the chalice.

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

I was lucky to grab the last bottle from the shelf at Marty's Liqour (Allston, MA) during my visit in BoTown. I haven't had a Double IPA for almost three months now, so I'll admit I'm a little nervous. The only problem is this isn't a Double IPA, it's greater than that. The numbers are earth shatering, 20% ABV, 120 IBU's, and 450 calories. Love the design on the bottle cap, though I think there should be a warning in text on the label too (Idea: if a fizzy yellow beer drinker inhales this, seek medical attention immediately.) Something's missing...oh yeah, my bottle opener and my oversized wine glass. Let me get those, and as soon as I come back, let go on to the beer:

Into the glass it goes...it's a deep orange color, chill hazed. Ruby red hues are mixed in this eye candy. The head is short-lived. The aroma isn't strong, but it is deep. Hops? Yes, there are hops, but it's surprisingly sweet. Lots of juicy tropical flavors in this one. More like concentrated syrup is what it is. It's like ecstasy; I want to continue smelling it. But I must press on to the taste...

Here we go...WOW, that is one smooth devil. I can still feel the alcohol inside of me. It isn't really "bitter" at all, it's just like the aroma. Sweet, juicy, tropical fruits all around. I want to continue sipping on it, but I must break a little more than I want as this is some very thick stuff. Very syrupy and carbonation is short lived on the palate. Oooo, ahhhh. Another sip please. Yes!!! More! WooHoo!! Although you feel the booze on your insides, you can't find much of it in the beer. Hold on, I got to lick the flavor off my lips. Yum. Hey, I'm feeling good now. I think I feel the alcohol starting to kick in. Let's wrap this up.

I was expecting to struggle against this beer, but my palate won the battle. I'm really glad I tried it out. I have nothing else to say expect this: get yours hands on a bottle if you see it. That is unless you hate thick syrupy beers.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a beautiful hazy honey color with a nice taut head that fades to a ring.

This beer has a delectable nose of caramel, orange peel, a slight hop spiciness, and some brandyish boozy smell.

This is a sweet treat with a long finish. Just as much a treat for malt heads as hop heads, and probably more so. Very sweet, perfect for an after dinner quaffer.
Spicy with hops and coriander up front, then a long, long malt bomb with very nuanced flavors of dried apricots and cherries, spice, and honey. This is followed by a long finish of honey spiked piney hops. Delicious now, but this would be absolutely extraordinary with some serious age on it. There is the slightest soy note that dissipates as it breathes.

The mouthfeel is very thick and rich with good carbonation throughout, something that I miss dearly in certain other over the top abv brews.

Drinkability is very good for its style- and after dinner sipper that is quite addictive.

3.35/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a murky brown-orange colour, with some loose-bubbled head initially. The head dissipates quickly, unsurprising considering the high alcohol content, but there is a little white fizz around the edges. Body looks surprisingly thin considering the strength of the brew. Overall, it looks good, if a little scary.

Extremely strong nose, full of spiritous alcohol and sharp high-alpha hop acids. Citrus is pungent, and the alcohol is redolent of brandy. Little sweetness, although there is a port-like residual sugar character lingering around - mostly the alcohol and the hops take charge, however.

Strong and pungent on the palate, initially brash with citric hop bitterness, before the tingling warmth of booze bellows up from the back, roaring a fire of spicy spirit-like burn through my mouth. The alcohol is the main-event here, slightly sweeter than pure spirits, but almost with the intensity. The hop character even takes a backseat to the booze. I can't deny it's confronting, but it's almost too much - perhaps there is a limit to just how far you can push beer after all.

Overdone. Too full of booze, and too straight up with its roar of dominant power. If you're after insanity, maybe this is the beer for you. For me, while it is in all respects unique, it's so far beyond the realms of decency, and so confrontingly undrinkable. Maybe it mellows with age. Maybe we'll see. Right now, I can't abide it, even if I can respect it.

3.56/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found a little guy (12oz) single at Liquor Mart in Denver.
Pours a glossy rust color, orange and copper hints. Big, big foam of off-white thick head. Chunked a bit. Nice lacing
Spice and citrus dominate the aroma, with alcohol and the pine hops coming in and out.
Taste is intense. Spice, citrus, alcohol, hops, pine, oak, some sweet malt. The syrup feel clings a bit and reminds me of PineSol. The abv is huge, and this bottle was all I can gulp.
A good try, but I'll stick with the 60/90 ipa

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to Hoyt for bringing this back from his travels up north.

Pours a dark, hazy orange with a quarter inch of soft, dense, white head that has good retention. The nose is very bready and malty with a hint of birthday cake sweetness and some faint citrus hop aromas. There are some definite alcohol esters here. The flavor is identical to the nose. The taste is heavy malt up front with notes of birthday cake and bread followed by a mild citrus hop character with hints of grapefruit and pineapple. The alcohol makes itself known throughout. It adds warmth and body as well as some bite in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied, incredibly warm, very smooth, and mildly carbonated.

I really enjoyed this beer. It's like the 90 minute on steroids. The malt character is intense and lends to a more barley wine-like flavor. The hops are more mild but noticeable. It's incredibly boozy, but in a good way in my opinion. I'm sure age would mellow this out big time. If I can ever come across it again, I will definitely be buying a few more.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle dated July 11, 2011. Split between my girlfriend and I, served in two snifters.

A: Golden sunset ruby colored body, fairly cloudy topped with just slightly off-white sudsy and creamy head. Retention ring is left behind with nice splotchy and sticky lacing on the walls. Gorgeous looking beer.

S: Extremely sweet hop oils and caramel malts. There's not much bitterness, instead simply very rich and again sweet aromas. Touches of orange peel towards the back end.

T: A sweet and sugary bomb while still retaining a certain balance to it (as much as you theoretically could anyway). Loads of citrus hop oils, slightly bitter, sweet caramel malts. This is a big beer and certainly one to anticipate being sweet. The fresher the more bitterness but even at only a few months old this is getting sweeter by the day.

M: Creamy, full bodied with decent carbonation. A bit syrupy on the tongue but it leaves a nice residual sweetness and stick behind. Lovely.

There are so many dimensions to this beer, you really have to be able to sit with this, sip it and let it warm to appreciate how much depth of flavor this has. It's certainly is going to be a polarizing beer due to its aggressive nature, but well crafted this one is. Nicely done, I'm stocking up on some to age.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Wow, it has been a long road you and me mister 120. This was the first beer I ever reviewed on BA, and boy was that some time ago. Man how things have changed... for all of us!

Poured on tap into a snifter glass at Pizza Paradiso Dupont DC.

A really nice off white, off caramel colored head with tiny bubbles presenting a creamy like appearance. A real glowing orb of cloudy orange and light amber. As the beer settles it becomes clear showing off it's great orange transparency.

Nose is a distinct and real interesting unique flavor. It is without question, salted caramels. Slight hints of sweetness, no hop presence but like the smell of perfect French sea salted caramel.

Taste is mild sugar hopped citrus orange and some grapefruit, but mostly a great sweet tangerine citrus sweetness. Caramel like malts come to match the nose profile. Texture is big and bold but surprisingly not syrupy, not even boozy for such a high abv, but gives just a hint of sharp and very quick disappearing pine stinging hop with minor alcohol on the finish.

Overall surprisingly impressive. Not that hoppy really but also not as sweet as I remember it. The salted caramel angle is real nice and I certainly don't remember that at all. And for a whopping eighteen abv, I honestly could hardly tell. I've had 13-11-10 percent barleywines that just flat out knocked me out, this... like drinking a charm. Fantastic. Perhaps a re-review of the bottle should be in the cards.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

2006 Vintage My Celebration brew on Nov 4th, Yes We Can...drink beer. Poured a burnt orange color with a nice rocky white head. Absolutely beautiful brew! Nose was strong bit of hops and alcohol. Some dried fruits on the nose with some citrus, apricot and malts. The beer over 2 years had really balanced itself on the taste. Hops had subsided. Previously I thought the brew was way off balanced, to hopped up and too hot to finish. Now it was great. Another two years and it would be perfect. Taste was warming, sweet, hopped, well hopped, the citrus feel in the middle. Mouthfeel was good and warm. Drinkability gets better with age. Much better. Another two years and I would give it a 5. I need another..somebody beermail me. I give it a A-

2008 Poured a nice orange color with a small white head, little carbonation. Nose was a blast of alcohol, citrus notes, and maybe some wood and caramel malt. Taste was just obnoxious. ABV was to much, all I tasted minus the small notes of malts and slight citrus with no hop bitterness(ABV probably killed that too). Not balanced noMouthfeel was bad, could not stand to really swish it around. Going down it was not smooth. ABV is up there and the taste was just..not good.Not for me! C-

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

12 Oz bottle sampled through the efforts of dirtylou and The No BS BIF.

First I write out my will before approaching this hop bomb.

A pour in to my Duvel Tulip gives me a new motor oil thick and colored brew. A near clear apricot colored beer with a little bit of head, which is impressive as at 21% ABV this should be able to dissolve any head.

Smell is quite sweet and surprisingly fruity to the nose more like a barley wine than a mega IPA. Lots of aroma of melons and some pine and grapefruit. This has what I would call the Dogfish Signature aroma all over it, that melon smell that DFH seems to put in all its bigger beers. Bit of spicy black pepper is noticeable mostly from all the ethanol in this beer.

Taste is very sweet with a large hit of melons, fruit and raw sugar cane in the first taste. Very sweet beer with tons of melon and fruit flavors, this just isn't one of the better Mega IPAs like Pliny The Younger or FFF Dreadnaught.

Mouthfeel is syrup.

Not a super drinkable brew here. Super sweet and thick with a high alcohol content this is decidedly inferior to the best from Three Floyds or Russian River.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery