120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
jdhilt

New Hampshire

It has been a while since I have found a five but this is it. Pours with a three-finger, bubbly cream head that fades slowly and leaves a nice lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation. Nose is sweet, gingery, malty. Starts with a perfect mix of malt and hops and finishes smooth and sweet NOT a session beer . . . savor this beer . . . their site has this at 20% ABV. Medium bodied. This is the best IPA brewed in the States. Worth $7.99 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, Me

11-04-2008 23:59:12 | More by jdhilt
Zorro

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

12 Oz bottle sampled through the efforts of dirtylou and The No BS BIF.

First I write out my will before approaching this hop bomb.

A pour in to my Duvel Tulip gives me a new motor oil thick and colored brew. A near clear apricot colored beer with a little bit of head, which is impressive as at 21% ABV this should be able to dissolve any head.

Smell is quite sweet and surprisingly fruity to the nose more like a barley wine than a mega IPA. Lots of aroma of melons and some pine and grapefruit. This has what I would call the Dogfish Signature aroma all over it, that melon smell that DFH seems to put in all its bigger beers. Bit of spicy black pepper is noticeable mostly from all the ethanol in this beer.

Taste is very sweet with a large hit of melons, fruit and raw sugar cane in the first taste. Very sweet beer with tons of melon and fruit flavors, this just isn't one of the better Mega IPAs like Pliny The Younger or FFF Dreadnaught.

Mouthfeel is syrup.

Not a super drinkable brew here. Super sweet and thick with a high alcohol content this is decidedly inferior to the best from Three Floyds or Russian River.

05-14-2006 23:15:30 | More by Zorro
duceswild

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

01-17-2012 03:43:42 | More by duceswild
DoubleJ

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

I was lucky to grab the last bottle from the shelf at Marty's Liqour (Allston, MA) during my visit in BoTown. I haven't had a Double IPA for almost three months now, so I'll admit I'm a little nervous. The only problem is this isn't a Double IPA, it's greater than that. The numbers are earth shatering, 20% ABV, 120 IBU's, and 450 calories. Love the design on the bottle cap, though I think there should be a warning in text on the label too (Idea: if a fizzy yellow beer drinker inhales this, seek medical attention immediately.) Something's missing...oh yeah, my bottle opener and my oversized wine glass. Let me get those, and as soon as I come back, let go on to the beer:

Into the glass it goes...it's a deep orange color, chill hazed. Ruby red hues are mixed in this eye candy. The head is short-lived. The aroma isn't strong, but it is deep. Hops? Yes, there are hops, but it's surprisingly sweet. Lots of juicy tropical flavors in this one. More like concentrated syrup is what it is. It's like ecstasy; I want to continue smelling it. But I must press on to the taste...

Here we go...WOW, that is one smooth devil. I can still feel the alcohol inside of me. It isn't really "bitter" at all, it's just like the aroma. Sweet, juicy, tropical fruits all around. I want to continue sipping on it, but I must break a little more than I want as this is some very thick stuff. Very syrupy and carbonation is short lived on the palate. Oooo, ahhhh. Another sip please. Yes!!! More! WooHoo!! Although you feel the booze on your insides, you can't find much of it in the beer. Hold on, I got to lick the flavor off my lips. Yum. Hey, I'm feeling good now. I think I feel the alcohol starting to kick in. Let's wrap this up.

I was expecting to struggle against this beer, but my palate won the battle. I'm really glad I tried it out. I have nothing else to say expect this: get yours hands on a bottle if you see it. That is unless you hate thick syrupy beers.

01-09-2008 05:31:36 | More by DoubleJ
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

Thanks to ThePeskyDingo for sharing this one with me.

Poured into Sierra Nevada Glass.

Pours a 1/2 finger, very slightly off white head. Color is slightly hazy golden sunset orange. Not to well of head retention, but what can a person expect at 18%abv.

Aroma: I get nail polish remover off the top. Very slight booze. Some citrus. A lot of earthy hops. Kind of weird, but what else are you going to get at this much abv. It is my first of its kind and very unique.

Taste: Here is the booze. Honey, citrus blend, massive amounts of floral hops, bready malts, some fresh pineapples. Very sugary.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but very creamy as compared to what I was expecting. Med-full bodied. Medium carbonation. Leaves a boozy floral aftertaste. 1 word to describe this: Wow!

Overall, this was quite the sipper. Glad I shared it with Russ. I don't know if I could have a lot of this. Not to bad for the abv, but definitely a beer to drink in moderation.

06-26-2009 02:23:03 | More by mothman
ejimhof

11-24-2011 12:43:55 | More by ejimhof
BARFLYB

3.6/5  rDev -12%

12oz bottle poured into dogfish head pint glass (bottled 1/18/08)

A- Dogfish head 120 pours a very golden color with a slight touch of copper that appears quite thick. A slightly aggressive pour produces a nice sized head that dwindles down to a thin sheet. A nice amount of bubbles and debris is seen floating throughout the glass.

S- 120 has a super strong smell of sweet malts and some alcohol is present, but not as much as you would think coming from a 21% beer. Caramel on top of citrusy hops with some floral qualities. The dominance of the malts makes for a syrupy smell.

T- similar to the smell with a start of an enormous amount of malt sweetness backed with a nice hop presence. the alcohol is present in the finish as the heat is noticed going down. the sweetness consists of caramel and sugars with a bit of grapefruit coming through. It's almost like i'm drinking syrup which is kind of weird, but most DFH offerings are considered weird to me.

M- Thick, thick and thick, with a full body. I have to say though that for a beer of this size it is pretty smooth going down.

D- For 21% very drinkable but i had to check myself after i found myself drinking this a bit fast. after the 1st few sips i could feel the alcohol taking effect. this is a big beer for big boys & girls who are down for a challenge so be prepared.

I have a 2005 version of this & will buy a fresh bottle to compare, but not until i have two people to help me with it.

01-04-2009 04:49:53 | More by BARFLYB
Wasatch

Utah

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Had this one on-tap at The Yard House (Las Vegas) 10 Jun 2014

Pours a nice clear/clean golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus creamy off-white head, nice islands and sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is sweet, malty, hoppy, some dark fruit, maybe some caramel. The taste is pretty sweet, malty, nice hoppy effect, some kinda dark fruit going on. Nice sweet after taste with a nice alcohol warming effect in the body. Medium body. Very drinkable, definitely a sipper, I like this one, way to go DFH. I'm glad I had a chance to try this on-tap, way different than the bottle version.

Thanks goes out to Faro for this brew.

12oz. Bottle On 03/29/06

Pours a nice clear/clean golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice small one-finger creamy off-white head, nice islands and sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is sweet, malty, hoppy, some dark fruit, maybe some caramel. The taste is pretty sweet, malty, nice hoppy effect, some kinda dark fruit going on. Nice sweet after taste with a nice alcohol warming effect in the body. Medium body. Very drinkable, definitely a sipper, I like this one, way to go DFH. I'm glad I have another bottle that I bought.

06-21-2007 23:59:21 | More by Wasatch
afsdan

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

03-22-2014 21:42:07 | More by afsdan
superspak

12 ounce bottle into snifter, 2012 D bottling(pretty fresh as my store got it in this week). Pours hazy golden orange color with a dense 1 finger off white head with very good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers, Pretty good lacing sticking to the glass, with plenty of alcohol legs as expected. Aromas of big pine, citrus rind, grass, lemon zest, grapefruit, honey, herbal, floral, earth, caramel, and a a bit of alcohol. Pretty nice aromas with some good balance and complexity. A lot less booze in the aromas than I expected; booziness seems to drop off a bit more as it reaches room temps. Taste of big citrus rind, lemon zest, pine, grapefruit, herbal, floral, honey, caramel, earth, and light herbal spiciness. Light amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus rind, grapefruit, pine, floral, caramel, honey, and light herbal spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice hop flavor balance and complexity; with zero booze in the taste. Medium carbonation and very full bodied; with a very creamy, oily, and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Approaching syrup viscosity but it’s not a bad thing here; as the carbonation balances things out. Alcohol is extremely well hidden with only a warming noticed after the finish. Goes down impressively smoothly. Overall this is a damn nice DIPA given what this actually is in terms of the style. I was quite impressed how smooth this was; with a nice hop flavor balance and absolutely no cloying sweetness at all. I am beginning to wonder why everyone cries that this one is horrible fresh. This is very well done considering all of the insanely over the top brewing and dry hopping it takes to create this one. Really enjoyable.

07-16-2012 03:55:10 | More by superspak
Stinkypuss

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (2011 Vintage)

Appearance: Pours a dark ruby, clear with a very large pillowy head. Retention is understandably short livid, but some lace and a ring is left behind.

Smell: Oh My are the first thoughts. Alcohol and fresh smelling hops, notes of caramel, almost like an Eisbock. Lots of alcoholic esters are playing with an underlying sweetness, bringing to my senses aromas I never knew existed.

Taste: Big malt sweetness, piney hops stuggle to take hold. Alcohol is quite present, and the brew tastes eerily similar to some examples of the Eisbock style, where a portion of the beer is frozen to concentrate the flavors (and ABV). Mild pineapple notes are present as well, as is some erratic ale fruityness. Sugary malt and booze sticking to the back of the throat. Wood tones are also present, perhaps from the hops or is this wood aged? A symphony of flavors, if everyone in the symphony was drunk.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, lightly carbonated, alittle syrupy with lots of warming booze.

Overall: This is extreme beer. It is good but must be prepared for. When finished, where does one go? Wherever that is, you will find me there.

10-14-2011 05:58:00 | More by Stinkypuss
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

I split a bottle of this with the other Matt a few days ago. Bottle from my cellar. Vintage December 2006.

The beer is hazy and orange / ruby hued. The head is insubstantial, and leaves only faint traces of lacing behind.

The aroma is dominated by a large alcohol and hop presence, despite the nearly five years of aging.

The taste is very bold and assertive, with notes of sweet fruits and a lot of booze. Hop presence is still there, though less forward than in a fresh bottle. The beer is more of an American barleywine than double IPA.

This is a seriously high octane beer. Three to four ounces is more than enough. A 12 oz. bottle could easily be shared four to six ways.

Overall, this was a decent brew. However, I much prefer beers like J.W. Lees if I want a beer of this ilk, i.e. strong and sweet.

06-06-2011 18:53:03 | More by Huhzubendah

11-11-2013 03:11:59 | More by BillRoth
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.55/5  rDev -13.2%

Found a little guy (12oz) single at Liquor Mart in Denver.
Pours a glossy rust color, orange and copper hints. Big, big foam of off-white thick head. Chunked a bit. Nice lacing
Spice and citrus dominate the aroma, with alcohol and the pine hops coming in and out.
Taste is intense. Spice, citrus, alcohol, hops, pine, oak, some sweet malt. The syrup feel clings a bit and reminds me of PineSol. The abv is huge, and this bottle was all I can gulp.
A good try, but I'll stick with the 60/90 ipa

03-03-2007 22:47:24 | More by Mebuzzard
brandoman63

11-19-2011 04:28:13 | More by brandoman63
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%

2007 batch, 12 oz bottle. Enjoyed in my favourite mug. An expensive but exciting treat from Milton, Delaware. Continuous 120 minute boil followed by one straight month of dry hopping!

Pours a beautiful colour, a toasty brown with orange hues. A fine level of off white head that leaves thorough rims of lacing. An absolutely explosive bouquet!!! Not quite like any other hop filled aroma - so potent, so fresh, so whole. Small hints of booze peak through but not initially, what strikes first is this tremendous smell of hops, filled with pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit. A great deal of malt too. An exotic taste profile - notes of citrus, and more hops! The hop resin has imparted so many different flavours, it's incredibly complex. The alcohol doesn't even show on every sip, and even when it does it stays surprisingly balanced within the flavours.

I'm not even sure what to say, or how to describe, the beer has overwhelmed me. Dangerously quaffable. Everything is so balanced, it's incredible! I couldn't of imagined this being so balanced AND so tasty! Even at 20% or so percent this still drinks like a beer. Far and away my favourite of the series...

03-04-2007 23:09:18 | More by biegaman
John_M

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

I have reviewed this beer previously, but from a 750 ml. bottle. However, that was a while back, and according to the DFH rep at Max's last night, they have tweaked the recipe a bit the last few years (whatever that means). In any event, the beer I had last night was so superior to what I had out of the bottle last, they might as well have been two different beers.

The draft version pours a beautiful orange amber color, with decent foam retention and great lacing. The beer smells very sweet, but there is noticeable citrus from the hops as well. On the palate the beer is sweet, with a cornucopia of cherry, currents, raisans, pineapple and other tropical fruit. However, unlike the bottle version I had, all of sudden there is a huge wash of hops that pounds through the sweetness. Nevertheless, this beer is still viscuous, rich, smooth and long, but with refreshing citrus in the finish from the hops.

The abv. is certainly still noticeable, and there's no way you can drink a lot of this (who'd want to) or drink it too quickly. Definitely a sipper... and a beer where the abv. becomes increasingly noticeable as it warms and sits in the glass. Still, an excellent beer. Very, very impressive...

05-17-2007 16:28:08 | More by John_M
smakawhat

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Wow, it has been a long road you and me mister 120. This was the first beer I ever reviewed on BA, and boy was that some time ago. Man how things have changed... for all of us!

Poured on tap into a snifter glass at Pizza Paradiso Dupont DC.

A really nice off white, off caramel colored head with tiny bubbles presenting a creamy like appearance. A real glowing orb of cloudy orange and light amber. As the beer settles it becomes clear showing off it's great orange transparency.

Nose is a distinct and real interesting unique flavor. It is without question, salted caramels. Slight hints of sweetness, no hop presence but like the smell of perfect French sea salted caramel.

Taste is mild sugar hopped citrus orange and some grapefruit, but mostly a great sweet tangerine citrus sweetness. Caramel like malts come to match the nose profile. Texture is big and bold but surprisingly not syrupy, not even boozy for such a high abv, but gives just a hint of sharp and very quick disappearing pine stinging hop with minor alcohol on the finish.

Overall surprisingly impressive. Not that hoppy really but also not as sweet as I remember it. The salted caramel angle is real nice and I certainly don't remember that at all. And for a whopping eighteen abv, I honestly could hardly tell. I've had 13-11-10 percent barleywines that just flat out knocked me out, this... like drinking a charm. Fantastic. Perhaps a re-review of the bottle should be in the cards.

10-19-2011 17:57:35 | More by smakawhat

4.5/5  rDev +10%

06-01-2014 01:49:56 | More by Latarnik
beerthulhu

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Poured a medium burnt caramel-orange with a thin, creamy light beige head that had some orange hues to it. The head diminished rather quickly while the lacing was clean. Visible carbonation was light.

S: The nose was very sweet, with pungent pink grapefruit with sugary notes and a beautiful floral aroma. Some tangerines and sweet pine also are detected rounding out the aroma which was very nice.

T: The initial flavor was pungent pink grapefruit with a big sugary sweetness and floral hoppiness. There was some tangerines, sweet caramel and sweet pine resin also detected. A sticky caramel and sweet grapefruit hop lacing is found on the finish with only a slight alcohol awareness of the massive 20% abv. which is beautifully masked by the huge sweet malting and citrusy sweet hopping. The finish finds a dry floral, pine hopping and a beautiful balance of sweet caramel malts and hops that simply has to be experienced by oneself.

M: The mouthful is oily, thick and viscose with sticky sweet grapefruit and pine resin and caramel with a dry flora bitterness on the fade. There is a spicy alcohol nature upon warming but is very subdued considering the 20% abv.

D: Amazing drinkability, hardly any detection of the massive 20% abv nature which could be dangerous. A monster ipa that was beautifully crafted and balanced. Needless to say one should be plenty enough for an evenings enjoyment. Comes highly recommended and worthy of its price per pound. You just gotta taste this for yourself.

08-09-2008 13:18:55 | More by beerthulhu
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

2004 Vintage I believe. Pours a crystal clear orange, big white head forms and never leaves, tons of lace, one of the prettiest beers I've ever seen. Smell is piney caramel and alcohol, very strong but smells great. Taste is caramel, pine, some citrus, and a little bit of alcohol. The mouthfeel is amazingly thick, low carbonation, very warming from the throat on down, slight alcohol burn. The warming/burn is really the only alcohol presence you get, besides the fact thatr 6 oz will give you a mean buzz. Very surprisingly drinkable, it was a shame to see the end of the glass. Very underrated in my opinion, this beer is a feat. Good on you for the pickup DrJay.

09-23-2005 17:22:59 | More by Viggo
tdm168

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to Hoyt for bringing this back from his travels up north.

Pours a dark, hazy orange with a quarter inch of soft, dense, white head that has good retention. The nose is very bready and malty with a hint of birthday cake sweetness and some faint citrus hop aromas. There are some definite alcohol esters here. The flavor is identical to the nose. The taste is heavy malt up front with notes of birthday cake and bread followed by a mild citrus hop character with hints of grapefruit and pineapple. The alcohol makes itself known throughout. It adds warmth and body as well as some bite in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied, incredibly warm, very smooth, and mildly carbonated.

I really enjoyed this beer. It's like the 90 minute on steroids. The malt character is intense and lends to a more barley wine-like flavor. The hops are more mild but noticeable. It's incredibly boozy, but in a good way in my opinion. I'm sure age would mellow this out big time. If I can ever come across it again, I will definitely be buying a few more.

01-20-2012 21:56:31 | More by tdm168