Sixty-One (61) - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: MikeRoni on 02-01-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sixty-One (61) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,713 | Reviews: 433

It tasted like it would give me bad breath.

1.06/5  rDev -71%

Picked up a four pack of this dated 2/28/2013. I like wine, I like beer so why not?
Pours a red/ purple color with a thin white head. Smells bad, musty, no hops. Taste is just awful. I get no hop tastes, just cheap wine then bitterness. Tastes like some sort of sparkling wine than went terribly bad. If you poured this into my glass and didn't tell me what it was, I would think it's the worst glass of wine I have ever had. In reality, it's the worst glass of beer I have ever had.

1.65/5  rDev -54.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pint glass the purple hues mixed with golden IPA give this a hybrid of pink and purple. Add in at thin head and a good amount of bubbles and well, I'm not excited already.

A very strong wine like aroma comes through almost instantly. Hops? I mean maybe? I think there's a bit of bitterness but the wine like effect is over powering.

Red wine...hint of bitter...and more red wine.

The only reason this isn't wine is the carbonation and ligher mouth feel. This definitely feels like a nice summer beer. The carbonation a bit sharper than in some of the better IPAs which tend to be a bit more creamy in feel.

This is a complete failure. I really was expecting something interesting and well good. This is drinkable but if this was my 4th beer of the night, i'd be drain pouring it to avoid any extra calories or alcohol.

1.66/5  rDev -54.5%

Went down right away to taste this new offering, but was highly disappointed. I was expecting a sweeter 60 minute IPA but was greeted with a pinkish reddish beer that smelled way too sweet. The taste was that of a sparkling rose wine. I could barley finish my mug. It is not Noble Rot or Red and White. It is a bitter sparkling red wine at best. Not something I would want year round or as a limited release.

1.75/5  rDev -52.1%

Glad to see Dogfish putting out something new on the regular lineup.

This beer is way odd looking with a red hue to it and a pink head that is not normal. Speaking of not normal: the flavor. A wad of fruity tones that carry no definition at all. It's just malty, sweet goofiness. It reminds me of Zima, or something like that.

Really. This is silly. This is going down the drain, and I'm afraid my respect for Dogfish Head is going with it. Get it together people.

2.2/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

From bottle to nonic pint glass

Well, at least the beer looks nice. Amber with a touch of ruby-red, the brew is unlike any IPA I've seen. But that's about the only compliment I can offer. The hop-forward bouquet starts with floral, vinous tones, but there's a sour, musty backdrop, presumably from the added grapes. The palate follows the nose, which a punchy, hop astringency quickly suffocated by an acidic, sour-grape sweetness. Notes of caramelly malts try to balance things out, but the grape-hop combination is completely disjointed and off-putting. The finish reminds of wine that's been left out for a couple of days. Definitely a miss.

2.23/5  rDev -38.9%

Another weird beer from Dogfish Head, IPA with grape must.

Purplish pink colored beer with a tall pink head, yep it's weird.

Smells of grapefruit and grape with a bitter scent something like bug spray. Smells like an orchard that has been spayed for fruit flies.

Starts out bitter and a little sour with a clear grapefruit flavor. The IPA and grapes doesn't work so well tastes like rotten grape jelly. Not as good as the other wine beers DFH has made like Red & White and Blue & White.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this is terrible. I have three more of these and I don't really want to drink it.

2.31/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Well, swing and a miss from DFH on this one. Let go of the grape must idea, please.

Pours lovely garnet red, clear and clean. White head with some off pink tinge to it. Nice and thick, rocky

Aroma is stale must, cardboard and dank cherry. Ew

Taste isn't much better. Plastic, some muddled spice and wet cherry. Some hints of biscuit, but the grape must overpowers all. IPA??? Nerp. Hops? Nerp. Balance? Nerp.

Poor excuse for an IPA, while not a horrible beer. Definitely not worth the price

2.35/5  rDev -35.6%

Well, this is my first failure I've experienced from Dogfish Head. I want to preface the review by saying that I love that DFH goes out on a limb and tries crazy new beers. But experimentation is inevitably going to have some poor results. Sixty-one did not work for me. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of 60 minute to start with so this was probably doomed from the start. On a positive note, it is a gorgeous looking beer: a crystal clear amber with a pomegranate tinge. Slightly off white (almost faintly purple) fluffy head. Mouth feel was fine too... nothing extraordinary but really, it gets masked by the flavor. Smell was unappealing to me. Some hope notes, but they were skunky and stale smelling. Some citrus and some wine-esque fermented musk. Taste is all over the place. Some wine character: grapes and dark fruit as well as some bread and earthy flavors at the finish. Bitter with some slight acidity. Stale is the word that I keep coming back to; nothing about this beer seems fresh, or lively.

I had to dump this beer, I'm not going to lie. I love DFH and I love that they try new things. This was not their best work...

2.39/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Pours like cranberry juice, a deep shade of red with two fingers of pinkish foam that turns into attractive lacing on the glass. Decent retention, say what you want about how freaky the color is, this is a good looking beer.

Interesting, wine aroma off the bat and very dominating. So many weird off notes where do I begin, white cheese, cherry children's tylenol, tobacco leaves, chalk, very little hop aroma, perhaps some pine and musty herbs. Not my thing at all.

Thin sparkling grape juice with light berry sweetness above a cracker like malt that tries to balance. Hops are more evident here with a light citrus and uplifting pine. Finishes tart with a musty/funky overall flavor that lingers and gets soapy and tiresome. Bitterness is really held down.

Easy to drink body, sparkling soda like carbonation. Wine flavors bring out the alcohol rather than hide it. Juice is sticky as well.

I just had to try this, big mistake. Return of the cranberry lambic, okay not that bad but this is too weird, DFH really getting creative here but it just isn't a pleasant experience aroma or taste wise. That cheesy pungent aroma is really off putting and impacts the flavor. I don't think that this does the wine in beer idea justice, better off pouring some decent merlot into a 60 minute. The beer is easy enough to drink but why would you.

2.43/5  rDev -33.4%

Bottle to snifter.

A: Beautiful maroon color, Fast fading bright white head.

S: Sour and musky. Honestly, not pleasant.

T: Confusing. I'm not really sure what to make of this. Kind of like an IPA, But there are definite sour grape notes.

M: Fairly light, With a red wine like drying feel. Foamy carbonation.

O: My experience with dogfish head is They either hit or miss(The beer is either fantastic or terrible… More often fantastic than terrible). Unfortunately this is the latter. I can see how it might appeal to some people, But it's not doing it for me. The best thing about this beer is the way it looks.

2.49/5  rDev -31.8%

A: Brilliantly transparent body that has a dark shade of red-brown. The head is very thin with a pinkish white color to it. Faint carbonation.

S: Catty hops all the way. A bit of a band-aid smell.

T: The catty hop flavor comes out. There's a bit of a funky grassy flavor. There's some alcohol flavor in there.

M: The mouthfeel is mildly bright with some perky bitterness. The beer overall is a bit hard to drink.

O: Personally I was not a fan of this beer. There was nothing of positive value that the Syrah grape must added to this beer, from the experience that I had. It seemed like an empty and pointless gesture.

2.51/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

Eh, pretty boring. Not very appealing to any of the senses. I can taste and smell the grape must and but doesn't seem to mix well with the beer. The color is strange with no head...very thin. Just kinda gave me a flat soda feeling.

Just using this space to get my 250 quota.

2.54/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Bottle opened on 7.20.13
Bottled 5/15/13

A - Pours a hazy light red with an active off-white head with good retention.

S - Hoppy grass and red grapes.

T - Bitter grass with a watery red-wine finish.

D - Good carbonaiton with a light-watery body.

O - Bitter hops and watery wine. WTH!? I dumped it.

2.57/5  rDev -29.6%

Wow is this a flub from DFH. I read the reviews and didn't want to believe them, but this was a great attempt but a fail.

Appearance -The beer pours beautifully with a great white head. Dark red almost purple color brings out the grape for sure.

Smell - light citrus smell with a well balanced malt

Taste - this beer is not very balanced for me. This is way to acidic for me.

Mouthfeel - like the taste the acidity is overwhelming. Just leaves a poor taste in my mouth.

Overall - read above it just didn't do anything for me.

2.58/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

This poured out as an impressive looking reddish pink color. The head was a pale pink color as well . There is a pretty good retention on this beer with a light lacing on the glass also. The smell is more like wine than an IPA. The aroma is fruity, plenty of grape but no hops that I can pick up. The taste of the beer is also grape, kind of screams wine cooler to me. There is a bubblegum flavor in the finish with a faint hop bitterness in the far distance. The mouthfeel was drinkable, light bodied and a bit refreshing. Dry finish and decent carbonation. Overall I am glad I tried it, but I never have to drink it again. I really wasn't into the flavors it had. It's an interesting idea, much like all of DfH beers but this one is a miss in my book.

2.6/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

A - pours a soft brownish, purplish color with a little head to it, about half a finger's worth. Very pleasing color to it.

S - has an earthy smell to it. barely any pine, citrus or any other usual scent from an IPA. Definitely catch a scent of the grape must and has a slight malty smell to it.

T - I don't know what I expected this beer to taste like but was very underwhelmed after drinking. I picked up traces of the grape must and very little hoppiness or bitterness. I tasted more malt than anything, perhaps it was the grape must. For me, there wasn't much flavor to it and didn't taste much like an IPA. Reminded me of a Sam Adams Boston Lager. Definitely a smooth drink and easy to drink.

M - had a very dry finish with hardly any aftertaste.

O - I love what Dogfish does and how they approach brewing. I love that you never truly know what you are going to get from them with whatever beer they release. Some hit, some miss and this one definitely misses for me. I didn't pick up any flavor from it, tasted very bland with very little hoppiness to it. Sam Adams Boston Lager was the first thing to come to mind after drinking which was very disappointing. I can't see myself buying this again.

2.64/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a crystal-clear reddish color. The head is a one finger white shade. I love the look and the texture of the head, in particular.

S: There is a shit ton of earthy mustiness to this one - okay, it's not the freshest bottle by any stretch, but the hops are damn near nonexistent. Unsweetened grape, caramel, and toffee notes round out the mediocre aroma.

T: At first, it drinks much like 60 Minute, with its malty opening giving way to a vaguely citrusy midpoint. It's the finish that ruins things, offering far too much musty sourness. Every once in a while, I notice a vinous tone on the aftertaste that I enjoy, but this is a mess otherwise.

M: Sweet and a bit heavy. The vinous notes try to cleanse the palate, but instead only create astringency. I don't think its undrinkable, but there are too many conflicting qualities in both the flavor and the palate to make it an enjoyable offering.

O: This offering is proof positive that gimmicky and innovative are two entirely different beasts altogether - and this is most certainly the former. It's basically 60 Minute crossed with a crappy wine. C'mon, Dogfish Head, less gimmicky nonsense and more quality offerings!

2.67/5  rDev -26.8%

I was skeptical about this brew, so luckily I was able to find a single instead of having to buy four. It pours a dished out mix of amber and copper, pretty deep in hue with gazing, ruby tones when held to the light. A light, lavender head foams up big on top; creamy, chunky, and lasting for over half the glass at a substantial height. The beer looks pretty good.

I drank a lot of Welch's Grape Juice as a kid, and this beer smells like Welch's Grape Juice. A faint hint of must sits behind the grapes, kind of dry and damp woody-ish, almost like how your basement wall would smell after the window above it leaks, just before it starts to mold. Faintly leafy hop hint in the back end, but nothing takes away from those grapes.

Grapes rule the flavor profile as well, but let's take care of this first: this beer does not taste as good as it smells. It doesn't smell bad at all. It doesn't smell much like beer, but it still doesn't smell bad. Something's going on with the flavor, though, and I'm really struggling to figure out exactly what I'm tasting, here.

Grapes, with a nasty, cellar-ish, old funky, weird musty off-flavor. Keep in mind, none of these descriptors are being used in the sense that they'd be used for a lambic or gueuze. It's downright nasty funk. The heavy grape flavor blunts some of the awful-ness, but this is still pretty hard to drink. Thin bodied, spritzy carbonation, weird sweet grape, funk aftertaste.

Well, my expectations for this beer were low. The look and aroma kind of redeemed things a bit for me. But then tasting it pretty much just killed everything. I don't know where things went wrong, but this was a disaster. And I don't understand how it can be labeled an IPA. It's more like a wine cooler gone wrong. A half & half mix of 60-Minute and Boone's Farm would probably taste better than this stuff.

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Did not care for this one. The grape smell is a bit offputting and felt like this was just a subpar IPA. Dont mind the attempt but was not my favorite.

2.7/5  rDev -26%

This unfortunately didn't do it for me

2.71/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear orange tinted pink with one finger thick white head... spotty lacing though a decent layer of foam sticks around. Smell: caramel, diactyl, berry, vinous of course..no discernible hop aromas, whee! Taste: the base beer at least makes some appearance here, but it's muddled and... it could be anything buried beneath the buttered toast and watery, sweet, fruity wine...what a mess. Should have been a drainpour. Bottled late Feb.

2.74/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks Chris!

(A)- Pours a clear reddish ruby color. Some good white froth that dissipated quickly.

(S)- Very red wine grape juice centric with the ever so slight hint of some bitter pine.

(T)- Again, very red wine like with the very subtle citrus and pine.

(M)- A smooth and crisp carbonation level. Slightly sweet yet slightly bitter. Plenty of tannis that I think upped the bitterness level even higher.

(O)- An interesting take on their classic 60 minute. I appreciate the effort, but if I want an IPA, I would much rather have the regular over this. There is just not a ton going on and the wine masks everything I like about an IPA. This would be much better suited to be put under the Fruit/Vegetable beer section than IPA.

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A- red- orange hue . Very small , very lightly purple head
S- Syrah at first then slight floral notes
T - Syrah comes through at the forefront, bitterness at the end. Slight caramel notes
O- interesting beer. I was hoping for more ipa sliding into Syrah but not bad

2.78/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pour is frightening. Purple maroon tint, with a little golden glow. 1/2 finger of soft pink head, lingering with some lace.

Nose is rather grapey, with a hint of cranberry. Also some subtle hops, but though to find.

Taste is really weird. Little bit of orange up front, followed by a burst of grape and not quite ripe blackberry. Finishes with a little bit of grapefruit and dry hop.

Body is ridiculous. Super thin, with a strange astringent bite to it. Almost fizzy. Weird.

An experiment, seemingly gone wrong. Not horribly, like cut off the wrong leg, but maybe cut off the wrong toe kind of wrong. Glad I only have 1 to drink.

Sixty-One (61) from Dogfish Head Brewery