Sixty-One (61) - Dogfish Head Brewery

Sixty-One (61)Sixty-One (61)

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

(Beer added by: mothman on 03-26-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sixty-One (61) Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

TonyTalon, May 19, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

jpd026, May 19, 2013
3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear light red/dark pink in body with a white melted marshmallow head. Smells of grape must, honey, wine-like fruit notes but of a lighter variety, wild cherries. Tastes of wild cherries (guessing the Syrah grape must is the cause), sour honey, sharp acidic fruitiness, tart, citrus hop character, medicinial notes, some booze and bitterness in the background. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Pretty good, if this was offered in a six pack it might be more of a go-to. The four pack is a lame choice for a year round IPA.

JRed, May 19, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +24%

cnewcombe4, May 19, 2013

bzach, May 18, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a reddish color with a soda type head that fizzles away. Uber carbonated like a soda.
The beer in general looks, just looking at it, looks weak or watered down. one could easily pass this off as a soda or malt beverage.
Smells winey. I don't smell any hops. I detect a hint of sourness or vinagar,
Taste is okay. It's a wine/malt beverage. I don't detect anything of or anything close to an IPA. The winey dominance makes this a malt beverage more then a beer.
On the palate it's fizzy and bright but also watery and thin.
No way

micromaniac129, May 18, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +24%

AlMarzo, May 18, 2013

mtalley999, May 18, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

bluntedboywonder, May 18, 2013
2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

12oz bottle poured into a large snifter. To be totally transparent, this review is following a Hoptimum and a Sucks.

Pours pinkish (which is unattractive to me, especially for an IPA). Head is coarse (looks like soda fizz), lots of carbonation. Some retention. Smell hints at grapes, is a little bit yeasty. I don't get much in the way of hops. Some mustiness.

Taste is confused (or confusing). There's definitely a little bit of dry, crisp hop character, but it doesn't mesh well with the slight grape hint. It seems to clash.

Mouthfeel is a little soapy, slightly filmy. Overall, it's not a bad beer, but I won't buy it again.

snaotheus, May 18, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Pours a deep translucent red with only a slight light pink/off white head. The foam can't really fade, so I'm left with a nice thin layer of bubbles across the top of the beer.

S: The nose is musky with horse blanket, sweaty gym socks, grape leaves, and just a touch of sour. I can't say that I have smelled a beer quite like this.

T: It starts out with a bit of malt, maybe some minor caramel, and what I only describe as a sweaty gym sock flavor. It's so complicated. I get grape leaves and minor grape skin in the middle, but that gym sock and murky funk never really leave the palate. The finish is sweeter with caramel notes, but I get a lot of buttery diacetyl, funk, and carbonation that make this beer pretty brutal.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's mild to start, gets weird in the middle and finishes a touch off. I don't know what to say. The gym sock notes start and finish the beer. It's funky, but not necessarily in a good way.

O: I'm bummed out by this beer. It's just too off the wall to be truly good. I love wackiness and experimentation, but this beer misses the mark. It's too much gym sock, not enough grape, and way over malted for an IPA.

trxxpaxxs, May 17, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

Lurkerson, May 17, 2013
3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle, bottled on 2/26/13. Served in a Dogfish Head pint glass, the beer pours a reddish/amber color with about an inch off-white/light pink head that sticks around for a long time. There's a decent amount of lacing. The aroma is nice, the brew smells like red grapes/wine, floral and citrusy hops, caramel malt and some berries. It tastes like red grapes/wine, grainy/bready malt, and light citrusy hops. I'd say it's more grapes than IPA, but that's alright. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's smooth, a bit slick and easy enough to drink. I think this is a solid brew, definitely worth a try. I know I won't have any problems finishing my other 3 bottles. $9.99 a 4-pack.

bluejacket74, May 17, 2013

Brewphish, May 17, 2013
3.44/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A: red liquid with a 1/2" white head that dissipated quickly.

S: Grapes, grass, tobacco, leaves and pine.

T: Red grapes, grass, tobacco, pine, grapefruit. Tastes like Simcoe was misused on this one. Either way, the hops used are not appropriate accompaniment for the Syrah grape must and other ingredients.

M: Dry, medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: Kind of a mess. Clashing flavours on this one.

DaftCaskBC, May 17, 2013

anvilx, May 17, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's Sixty One last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. This seemed like a pretty interesting beer, I'm not a wine drinker at all, but I did enjoy Midas Touch, so I thought I should give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage, the first bottled release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks ok and it's pretty similar to their 60 and 90 minute IPA labels. It poured a slightly amber like red color that took on more of a bright red color when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. The beer looked nice, the color was pretty unique for a beer and the color did a remind of red wine.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by some grape and wine like aromas that seem to dominate the aroma of this beer and there's also a pretty big tart cherry flavor that when combined with the grape and wine aspect it reminds me og some cheap cherry wine that i have had many times, it amazes me how similar the aroma is. Up next I get a lighter hops aroma that have a slight citrus and floral hop aroma. This aroma is nice, it's pretty weird for a beer, but I do like how the lighter hops aroma worked with the wine like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a flash of grape flavor that is quickly followed by some grainy and slightly bready malts. Up next comes some more grape flavors that taste more like a sparkling red wine and it's followed by a lighter amount of hops that impart a slight citrus and floral flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of lower bitterness with a little bit of tartness to go with it and it had a grainy, hoppy bitter, and sparkling wine like after taste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I thought that the grape must was too overpowering, I wish the hops showed up some more, but the bitterness was right where it should be.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, pretty dry, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a slight higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little a fizzy. The mouthfeel was nice, the dryness and fizzyness reminded me of sparkling wine.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of a fruit infused IPA, I don't think there's any other grape must infused IPA's to compare it to, but I thought it was an interesting and unusual take on a traditional American IPA. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these on a warmer summer day, it was more drinkable then I was expecting. What I liked the most about this beer the drinkability, I never thought this beer would be as drinkable as it is. What I like the least is how light the hops are, I think more hops would make this beer more IPA like, maybe they need to make 91 or a 121, I might buy this beer again, I think this would be a nice beer to share with someone who usually doesn't like beer, I would recommend this to anyone that doesn't mind fruity IPA's. All in all I thought this beer was pretty solid, but I do wish it was little more IPA like and little less sparkling wine like, but for a beer that I didn't have high expectations for, this one turned out pretty nice and I'm glad I took a chance on it. Nice work Dogfish head, This a good example of an odd beer that tastes better than it sounds.

StoutHunter, May 17, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

Had a four-pack of these, poured into teku/flute/tulip just for fun. Pours a pretty pink-purple with a lovely contrasting white fizzy head. Smells of both beer and wine...similar to the Noble Rot. Taste starts with the grape flavor of a white or pink wine, then hops take over, then a dry wine-like finish. Incredibly drinkable and refreshing, I wish I had another 4-pack to enjoy. It's not quite beer, not quite wine...certainly not a fruit beer as some have said. This is a delicious hybrid by a brewery that isn't afraid to break the rules.

BurgeoningBrewhead, May 17, 2013