Sixty-One (61) - Dogfish Head Brewery

Sixty-One (61)Sixty-One (61)

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

(Beer added by: mothman on 03-26-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sixty-One (61) Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

12oz bottle poured into a large snifter. To be totally transparent, this review is following a Hoptimum and a Sucks.

Pours pinkish (which is unattractive to me, especially for an IPA). Head is coarse (looks like soda fizz), lots of carbonation. Some retention. Smell hints at grapes, is a little bit yeasty. I don't get much in the way of hops. Some mustiness.

Taste is confused (or confusing). There's definitely a little bit of dry, crisp hop character, but it doesn't mesh well with the slight grape hint. It seems to clash.

Mouthfeel is a little soapy, slightly filmy. Overall, it's not a bad beer, but I won't buy it again.

3.18/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Pours a deep translucent red with only a slight light pink/off white head. The foam can't really fade, so I'm left with a nice thin layer of bubbles across the top of the beer.

S: The nose is musky with horse blanket, sweaty gym socks, grape leaves, and just a touch of sour. I can't say that I have smelled a beer quite like this.

T: It starts out with a bit of malt, maybe some minor caramel, and what I only describe as a sweaty gym sock flavor. It's so complicated. I get grape leaves and minor grape skin in the middle, but that gym sock and murky funk never really leave the palate. The finish is sweeter with caramel notes, but I get a lot of buttery diacetyl, funk, and carbonation that make this beer pretty brutal.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's mild to start, gets weird in the middle and finishes a touch off. I don't know what to say. The gym sock notes start and finish the beer. It's funky, but not necessarily in a good way.

O: I'm bummed out by this beer. It's just too off the wall to be truly good. I love wackiness and experimentation, but this beer misses the mark. It's too much gym sock, not enough grape, and way over malted for an IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle, bottled on 2/26/13. Served in a Dogfish Head pint glass, the beer pours a reddish/amber color with about an inch off-white/light pink head that sticks around for a long time. There's a decent amount of lacing. The aroma is nice, the brew smells like red grapes/wine, floral and citrusy hops, caramel malt and some berries. It tastes like red grapes/wine, grainy/bready malt, and light citrusy hops. I'd say it's more grapes than IPA, but that's alright. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's smooth, a bit slick and easy enough to drink. I think this is a solid brew, definitely worth a try. I know I won't have any problems finishing my other 3 bottles. $9.99 a 4-pack.

3.44/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A: red liquid with a 1/2" white head that dissipated quickly.

S: Grapes, grass, tobacco, leaves and pine.

T: Red grapes, grass, tobacco, pine, grapefruit. Tastes like Simcoe was misused on this one. Either way, the hops used are not appropriate accompaniment for the Syrah grape must and other ingredients.

M: Dry, medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: Kind of a mess. Clashing flavours on this one.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's Sixty One last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. This seemed like a pretty interesting beer, I'm not a wine drinker at all, but I did enjoy Midas Touch, so I thought I should give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage, the first bottled release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks ok and it's pretty similar to their 60 and 90 minute IPA labels. It poured a slightly amber like red color that took on more of a bright red color when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. The beer looked nice, the color was pretty unique for a beer and the color did a remind of red wine.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by some grape and wine like aromas that seem to dominate the aroma of this beer and there's also a pretty big tart cherry flavor that when combined with the grape and wine aspect it reminds me og some cheap cherry wine that i have had many times, it amazes me how similar the aroma is. Up next I get a lighter hops aroma that have a slight citrus and floral hop aroma. This aroma is nice, it's pretty weird for a beer, but I do like how the lighter hops aroma worked with the wine like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a flash of grape flavor that is quickly followed by some grainy and slightly bready malts. Up next comes some more grape flavors that taste more like a sparkling red wine and it's followed by a lighter amount of hops that impart a slight citrus and floral flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of lower bitterness with a little bit of tartness to go with it and it had a grainy, hoppy bitter, and sparkling wine like after taste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I thought that the grape must was too overpowering, I wish the hops showed up some more, but the bitterness was right where it should be.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, pretty dry, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a slight higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little a fizzy. The mouthfeel was nice, the dryness and fizzyness reminded me of sparkling wine.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of a fruit infused IPA, I don't think there's any other grape must infused IPA's to compare it to, but I thought it was an interesting and unusual take on a traditional American IPA. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these on a warmer summer day, it was more drinkable then I was expecting. What I liked the most about this beer the drinkability, I never thought this beer would be as drinkable as it is. What I like the least is how light the hops are, I think more hops would make this beer more IPA like, maybe they need to make 91 or a 121, I might buy this beer again, I think this would be a nice beer to share with someone who usually doesn't like beer, I would recommend this to anyone that doesn't mind fruity IPA's. All in all I thought this beer was pretty solid, but I do wish it was little more IPA like and little less sparkling wine like, but for a beer that I didn't have high expectations for, this one turned out pretty nice and I'm glad I took a chance on it. Nice work Dogfish head, This a good example of an odd beer that tastes better than it sounds.

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

Had a four-pack of these, poured into teku/flute/tulip just for fun. Pours a pretty pink-purple with a lovely contrasting white fizzy head. Smells of both beer and wine...similar to the Noble Rot. Taste starts with the grape flavor of a white or pink wine, then hops take over, then a dry wine-like finish. Incredibly drinkable and refreshing, I wish I had another 4-pack to enjoy. It's not quite beer, not quite wine...certainly not a fruit beer as some have said. This is a delicious hybrid by a brewery that isn't afraid to break the rules.

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a purplish red with a half inch head, very mild lace.

Grape must, slight caramel and citrus. Very grape heavy smell.

Grape starts the taste. On the dry side of sweet. Some plum and caramel with a hint of grass and citrus. Goes down pretty smooth.

Interesting take on the IPA, but I think the grape must turned it into a fruit beer. All traces of the backing IPA are killed by the grape. Doesn't taste bad though.

3.21/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle. Decanted into a curved pint glass.
Appearance: The color of the inside of a plum. Fizzy white head.
Smell: Confusing. Not quite wine… not quite beer. Actually not very inviting.
Taste: Surprisingly nice. Dry tannic wine up front, and finishes with some fruity hop bite. As it warms the wine mellows and the beer steps up.
Mouthfeel: The body is light, and the dry wine makes it feel thin. The carbonation wakes everybody up and tells them to go home.
Overall: I never would have thought to make a hopped wine spritzer, but overall it was pretty nice. Not sure I’d drink a whole keg of it, but I’ll finish what I bought.

2.14/5  rDev -41%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

From bottle to nonic pint glass

Well, at least the beer looks nice. Amber with a touch of ruby-red, the brew is unlike any IPA I've seen. But that's about the only compliment I can offer. The hop-forward bouquet starts with floral, vinous tones, but there's a sour, musty backdrop, presumably from the added grapes. The palate follows the nose, which a punchy, hop astringency quickly suffocated by an acidic, sour-grape sweetness. Notes of caramelly malts try to balance things out, but the grape-hop combination is completely disjointed and off-putting. The finish reminds of wine that's been left out for a couple of days. Definitely a miss.

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

bottle into a sam adams glass

big, bubbly. pinkish-white, bright head. rose colored, clear liquid.

smell is hops. grass like and clean, with a little earth at the end.

taste is hops up front, with a sweet/sour finish from the grape juice. good balance.

mouth feel is a little thin with good carbonation. easy to drink.

overall, an interesting beer, but I don't think that I will go out of my way to have another. It would probably be a great beer for someone who normally drinks wine, and was looking for a good beer to drink. worth trying, especially if you are a wine drinker

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%