Sixty-One (61) - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Beer added by: MikeRoni on 02-01-2013

Reviews: 407 | Hads: 2,769

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Looks just like a framboise. Light pink with about 1 inch of white head. Good retention and lacing.

Smell: Grapes, grapefruit, and citrus.

Taste: Very tart upfront, with the hops receding into the background. The main things I taste are grapes, strawberries, and I don't know what else to call it, but "must." As I keep drinking, I pick up an almost brett-like funk alongside the tart fruit flavors. The hops are there, but just barely.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation and a long finish. It gets tart and almost a little sour at the end.

Overall: A very unique beer, but there is something missing that I can't quite put my finger on. It's very good, but not great. Would buy again though; the price is decent. (750 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow, I would not have believed it, the marriage of beer and a wine grape that works well.
I've been suspect of some of the unusual beers of late coming from this brewery but this is one that not only works, but is sending me back to the store for more, if I can find it.
It starts with a subtle white head that does not hold for long but rather lingers in the background all the way down the glass. The nose is pleasant enough with a wisp of the grape that is named on the label. The taste is first that of wine with a distinguished sweetness that follow into a quick dryness that lingers on the tongue. Is it the grape or the hops that create the dryness (it's for the brewer to know and for us to find out). Let me not forget the playful color of light ruby red. Does Marnie Old know about this beer or was the debate of beer vs wine the inspiration. Whichever this is a beer to seek out. (892 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

The beer pours an odd shade of pink due to the grape must. It looks more like a carbonated rose than beer, which comes off as both enticing and strange. Smells faintly of grapefruit and piney hops to remind me it is indeed a beer. It's difficult to pickup any scent from the grape must.

Once tasting the flavor from the grape must is more apparent and the hops very much subdued. The must imparts a vinous tartness that's is enjoyable and unique. The hops act as a finishing act rather than the main show. There is also some bready and nearly caramel like malt the provides a good backbone and mouthfeel giving the beer some needed heft. Overall it's a unique and enjoyable beer, but does not impress or overwhelm in any way. Enjoyable beer that I would have again if offered, but I'm unlikely to seek it out. (810 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Pours like cranberry juice, a deep shade of red with two fingers of pinkish foam that turns into attractive lacing on the glass. Decent retention, say what you want about how freaky the color is, this is a good looking beer.

Interesting, wine aroma off the bat and very dominating. So many weird off notes where do I begin, white cheese, cherry children's tylenol, tobacco leaves, chalk, very little hop aroma, perhaps some pine and musty herbs. Not my thing at all.

Thin sparkling grape juice with light berry sweetness above a cracker like malt that tries to balance. Hops are more evident here with a light citrus and uplifting pine. Finishes tart with a musty/funky overall flavor that lingers and gets soapy and tiresome. Bitterness is really held down.

Easy to drink body, sparkling soda like carbonation. Wine flavors bring out the alcohol rather than hide it. Juice is sticky as well.

I just had to try this, big mistake. Return of the cranberry lambic, okay not that bad but this is too weird, DFH really getting creative here but it just isn't a pleasant experience aroma or taste wise. That cheesy pungent aroma is really off putting and impacts the flavor. I don't think that this does the wine in beer idea justice, better off pouring some decent merlot into a 60 minute. The beer is easy enough to drink but why would you. (1,341 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into Dogfish Head IPA glass. Bottled on 26 February 2013.

A: It pours a pale pink, like a blush wine. The head is the lightest cotton candy purple, but the beer in the glass is a ruddy amber. Clear, with effervescence. Weird and cool. Good lacing.

S: Funny but nice. Gently citric hop bitterness mixes with a sweeter, fruity scent. Maybe a tetch old, because there's an out of place cheesy smell that I associate with British cask ales.

T: Ugh. Weird. I am not sure I like it. It tastes like carbonated cheap wine full of otherwise excellent hops. The cheesiness doesn't quite disappear. Quite bitter, maybe because the sweetness highlights it. The aftertaste is piney.

M: Refreshing.

O: This is just 60 minute with grape juice. I don't get it, and I certainly don't get the outrageous price tag. I would not recommend it. (857 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a bottle into my handy DFH Tulip.

A - Pours a light garnet, that reminds me of Rose' of Malbec wines.
Easy to see through, with a one-finger head that falls quickly, leaving a nice, light lacing on the glass.

S - For lack of a better term (And for the use of a stupid pun), it smells a little musty...
No, really! The alcohol is much more apparent on the nose than regular 60, and the hops add herbal notes, but the pine notes aren't there. Some bready malt comes to mind, as well, with not much influence from the Syrah apparent here. Well, maybe a little, but it's not a forward as you would expect, coming from Sam and the gang.

T - Oh, hello... THERE'S the Syrah... It's strange how well the berry notes from this grape meld with the loads of sticky hops that go into this beer! When I say berry, I mean Blackberry, and over-ripe raspberry. The herbal notes from the nose show up, but the almighty Syrah grape gives them a pretty swift kick in the ass... More bready malts, little to no heat from the ABV. YUM.

M - Somewhat thin, sad to say, with the carbonation doing nothing other than pushing the massive load of Syrah across the palate. This is the one department this beer really lets me down in. Silky smooth, though, so there IS that.

O - Another great effort from the fine folks up in Delaware! Everything I've said should sum it up pretty well... Needless to say, I have once again fallen in love with yet another beer that, for all rights and purposes, shouldn't work, but does. Well Played, Dogfish Head... Well played.

Cheers!!! (1,563 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a reddish brown with a medium pinkish white head. An interesting look.

S: Notes of pine, citrus zest and grape.

T: Light flavour of wine, but it's certainly there. The wine is soft and blends into the IPA fairly well. Like having an IPA with a splash of wine. Pine bitterness with a good amount of biscuity malt.

M: Medium-bodied, crisp, some biting carbonation.

O: I like this take on 60 Minute. I've occasionally added wine to beer and this tastes like it a lot. (493 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

The beer pours a deep purple color with a 1/2" white head that has a slight pinkish hue. The aroma is good. It's a perfect marriage between a light, refreshing IPA and fruity grape juice. The hops and grape characteristics play off each other while the malt aroma provides a stable balance. The taste is decent. It has a nice mix of pale malts, hops, and grapes. It goes down quick, almost too quick. The grape flavor numbs the hop character a bit, while adding a quaffable fruitiness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a highly drinkable beer. It's unique and interesting, while still being a very tasty and enjoyable beer. (675 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a amber to purple with a frost white head that lingers well and leaves some lacing on the glass. Definitely unique for an IPA.

S: Grape must dominates with hint of hops hidden behind. Almost like a grape sparkling cider but more depth.

T: Sometimes I taste a sparkling wine, sometimes an IPA - all in the same glass. I really like the play on each other. Crisp, fresh and a great for summer time.

M: Relatively light, but not too much so.

O: Unique brew and appreciate the different spin. Look forward to more availability on this year round brew. (564 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: It has a nice ruby red color to it. It has a nice slightly pink head that dies down somewhat fast and leaves some lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of pine, grapes, some berries, light citrus and faint malts.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a some pine, alot of grapes, some berries and some caramelly malts. Not quite what I expected.

Mouthfeel: It has a med/high carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas. (540 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear light red/dark pink in body with a white melted marshmallow head. Smells of grape must, honey, wine-like fruit notes but of a lighter variety, wild cherries. Tastes of wild cherries (guessing the Syrah grape must is the cause), sour honey, sharp acidic fruitiness, tart, citrus hop character, medicinial notes, some booze and bitterness in the background. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Pretty good, if this was offered in a six pack it might be more of a go-to. The four pack is a lame choice for a year round IPA. (535 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a reddish color with a soda type head that fizzles away. Uber carbonated like a soda.
The beer in general looks, just looking at it, looks weak or watered down. one could easily pass this off as a soda or malt beverage.
Smells winey. I don't smell any hops. I detect a hint of sourness or vinagar,
Taste is okay. It's a wine/malt beverage. I don't detect anything of or anything close to an IPA. The winey dominance makes this a malt beverage more then a beer.
On the palate it's fizzy and bright but also watery and thin.
No way (535 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -18.2%

12oz bottle poured into a large snifter. To be totally transparent, this review is following a Hoptimum and a Sucks.

Pours pinkish (which is unattractive to me, especially for an IPA). Head is coarse (looks like soda fizz), lots of carbonation. Some retention. Smell hints at grapes, is a little bit yeasty. I don't get much in the way of hops. Some mustiness.

Taste is confused (or confusing). There's definitely a little bit of dry, crisp hop character, but it doesn't mesh well with the slight grape hint. It seems to clash.

Mouthfeel is a little soapy, slightly filmy. Overall, it's not a bad beer, but I won't buy it again. (631 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Pours a deep translucent red with only a slight light pink/off white head. The foam can't really fade, so I'm left with a nice thin layer of bubbles across the top of the beer.

S: The nose is musky with horse blanket, sweaty gym socks, grape leaves, and just a touch of sour. I can't say that I have smelled a beer quite like this.

T: It starts out with a bit of malt, maybe some minor caramel, and what I only describe as a sweaty gym sock flavor. It's so complicated. I get grape leaves and minor grape skin in the middle, but that gym sock and murky funk never really leave the palate. The finish is sweeter with caramel notes, but I get a lot of buttery diacetyl, funk, and carbonation that make this beer pretty brutal.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's mild to start, gets weird in the middle and finishes a touch off. I don't know what to say. The gym sock notes start and finish the beer. It's funky, but not necessarily in a good way.

O: I'm bummed out by this beer. It's just too off the wall to be truly good. I love wackiness and experimentation, but this beer misses the mark. It's too much gym sock, not enough grape, and way over malted for an IPA. (1,164 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle, bottled on 2/26/13. Served in a Dogfish Head pint glass, the beer pours a reddish/amber color with about an inch off-white/light pink head that sticks around for a long time. There's a decent amount of lacing. The aroma is nice, the brew smells like red grapes/wine, floral and citrusy hops, caramel malt and some berries. It tastes like red grapes/wine, grainy/bready malt, and light citrusy hops. I'd say it's more grapes than IPA, but that's alright. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's smooth, a bit slick and easy enough to drink. I think this is a solid brew, definitely worth a try. I know I won't have any problems finishing my other 3 bottles. $9.99 a 4-pack. (686 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A: red liquid with a 1/2" white head that dissipated quickly.

S: Grapes, grass, tobacco, leaves and pine.

T: Red grapes, grass, tobacco, pine, grapefruit. Tastes like Simcoe was misused on this one. Either way, the hops used are not appropriate accompaniment for the Syrah grape must and other ingredients.

M: Dry, medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: Kind of a mess. Clashing flavours on this one. (403 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's Sixty One last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. This seemed like a pretty interesting beer, I'm not a wine drinker at all, but I did enjoy Midas Touch, so I thought I should give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage, the first bottled release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks ok and it's pretty similar to their 60 and 90 minute IPA labels. It poured a slightly amber like red color that took on more of a bright red color when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. The beer looked nice, the color was pretty unique for a beer and the color did a remind of red wine.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by some grape and wine like aromas that seem to dominate the aroma of this beer and there's also a pretty big tart cherry flavor that when combined with the grape and wine aspect it reminds me og some cheap cherry wine that i have had many times, it amazes me how similar the aroma is. Up next I get a lighter hops aroma that have a slight citrus and floral hop aroma. This aroma is nice, it's pretty weird for a beer, but I do like how the lighter hops aroma worked with the wine like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a flash of grape flavor that is quickly followed by some grainy and slightly bready malts. Up next comes some more grape flavors that taste more like a sparkling red wine and it's followed by a lighter amount of hops that impart a slight citrus and floral flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of lower bitterness with a little bit of tartness to go with it and it had a grainy, hoppy bitter, and sparkling wine like after taste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I thought that the grape must was too overpowering, I wish the hops showed up some more, but the bitterness was right where it should be.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, pretty dry, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a slight higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little a fizzy. The mouthfeel was nice, the dryness and fizzyness reminded me of sparkling wine.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of a fruit infused IPA, I don't think there's any other grape must infused IPA's to compare it to, but I thought it was an interesting and unusual take on a traditional American IPA. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these on a warmer summer day, it was more drinkable then I was expecting. What I liked the most about this beer the drinkability, I never thought this beer would be as drinkable as it is. What I like the least is how light the hops are, I think more hops would make this beer more IPA like, maybe they need to make 91 or a 121, I might buy this beer again, I think this would be a nice beer to share with someone who usually doesn't like beer, I would recommend this to anyone that doesn't mind fruity IPA's. All in all I thought this beer was pretty solid, but I do wish it was little more IPA like and little less sparkling wine like, but for a beer that I didn't have high expectations for, this one turned out pretty nice and I'm glad I took a chance on it. Nice work Dogfish head, This a good example of an odd beer that tastes better than it sounds. (3,576 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +22%

Had a four-pack of these, poured into teku/flute/tulip just for fun. Pours a pretty pink-purple with a lovely contrasting white fizzy head. Smells of both beer and wine...similar to the Noble Rot. Taste starts with the grape flavor of a white or pink wine, then hops take over, then a dry wine-like finish. Incredibly drinkable and refreshing, I wish I had another 4-pack to enjoy. It's not quite beer, not quite wine...certainly not a fruit beer as some have said. This is a delicious hybrid by a brewery that isn't afraid to break the rules. (543 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a purplish red with a half inch head, very mild lace.

Grape must, slight caramel and citrus. Very grape heavy smell.

Grape starts the taste. On the dry side of sweet. Some plum and caramel with a hint of grass and citrus. Goes down pretty smooth.

Interesting take on the IPA, but I think the grape must turned it into a fruit beer. All traces of the backing IPA are killed by the grape. Doesn't taste bad though. (421 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle. Decanted into a curved pint glass.
Appearance: The color of the inside of a plum. Fizzy white head.
Smell: Confusing. Not quite wine… not quite beer. Actually not very inviting.
Taste: Surprisingly nice. Dry tannic wine up front, and finishes with some fruity hop bite. As it warms the wine mellows and the beer steps up.
Mouthfeel: The body is light, and the dry wine makes it feel thin. The carbonation wakes everybody up and tells them to go home.
Overall: I never would have thought to make a hopped wine spritzer, but overall it was pretty nice. Not sure I’d drink a whole keg of it, but I’ll finish what I bought. (645 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

From bottle to nonic pint glass

Well, at least the beer looks nice. Amber with a touch of ruby-red, the brew is unlike any IPA I've seen. But that's about the only compliment I can offer. The hop-forward bouquet starts with floral, vinous tones, but there's a sour, musty backdrop, presumably from the added grapes. The palate follows the nose, which a punchy, hop astringency quickly suffocated by an acidic, sour-grape sweetness. Notes of caramelly malts try to balance things out, but the grape-hop combination is completely disjointed and off-putting. The finish reminds of wine that's been left out for a couple of days. Definitely a miss. (645 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -11.6%

bottle into a sam adams glass

big, bubbly. pinkish-white, bright head. rose colored, clear liquid.

smell is hops. grass like and clean, with a little earth at the end.

taste is hops up front, with a sweet/sour finish from the grape juice. good balance.

mouth feel is a little thin with good carbonation. easy to drink.

overall, an interesting beer, but I don't think that I will go out of my way to have another. It would probably be a great beer for someone who normally drinks wine, and was looking for a good beer to drink. worth trying, especially if you are a wine drinker (582 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- Pale ruby red with one finger of grayish head made up of stacks of small, compact bubbles.

S- Very subtle hops with the syrah coming out quite a bit. Smells of dry red wine with hints of blackberry and black currant. Quite subtle nothing huge.

T- Follows nose quite closely with even more subtle hop coming through. Very interesting as the hops and alcohol hide behind the syrah must. The IPA and wine combination is especially interesting as the abrasiveness of the IPA is balanced by how subtle syrah grapes (especially French) can be. Not sweet and stays a little on the dry side.

M- Very interesting mouthfeel on this one as it's quite effervescent with the tightly stacked bubbles. Medium in body slight dry finish.

O- I really liked this experimental IPA from Dogfish Head. It combines two of my favorite things in the world and does it well. I was expecting the IPA to overpower any grape characteristics but it was the other way around and the syrah fruit won out! I wasn't going to try this until I saw the dissonance in the Bros between the BAs reviews and I am glad I did. Cheers. (1,130 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A - A ruby red color with a thin, reddish, foamy head.

S -The sweet fruity aromas hit you right when the cap pops off the bottle.

T - The taste was a great surprise. The smell misleads you into thinking you're about to drink a sweet beer, but it's actually a little bitter - almost tart. There isn't a whole lot of flavor. Some subtle hints of the grape must - definitely not overwhelming.

M - It has a thin body with a lot of carbonation.

O - DFH has been a favorite brewery of mine as far as I can remember. I was expecting another high quality release with this beer, but I was really disappointed. My expectations for DFH are pretty high, and they rarely disappoint, but this beer doesn't live up to quality and taste of some of their better known brews like 90 Minute and Burton Baton. Still a DFH brew nonetheless, so it still a good beer, just one I'd expect from a less prestigious brewery. (905 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a Dogfish Head shaped pint.

Appearance
Fuchsia wine cooler color with a short white head that dissipates quickly. Excellent clarity with low carbonation.

Nose
Raspberry, watermelon and Splenda...

Taste
Raspberry and watermelon. Sweetened red wine with light notes of caramel. Maybe a touch of orange juice and tangerine.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, crisp, sticky and dry.

Overall
Well, it's really not as bad as I anticipated. It is wine-cooler-esque, but on a higher level. (500 characters)

Sixty-One (61) from Dogfish Head Brewery