Sixty-One (61) - Dogfish Head Brewery

Sixty-One (61)Sixty-One (61)

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: MikeRoni on 02-01-2013

A continually-hopped IPA brewed with Syrah grape must.
Reviews: 418 | Hads: 2,830
3.74/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle, bottled on 2/26/13. Served in a Dogfish Head pint glass, the beer pours a reddish/amber color with about an inch off-white/light pink head that sticks around for a long time. There's a decent amount of lacing. The aroma is nice, the brew smells like red grapes/wine, floral and citrusy hops, caramel malt and some berries. It tastes like red grapes/wine, grainy/bready malt, and light citrusy hops. I'd say it's more grapes than IPA, but that's alright. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's smooth, a bit slick and easy enough to drink. I think this is a solid brew, definitely worth a try. I know I won't have any problems finishing my other 3 bottles. $9.99 a 4-pack.

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A: red liquid with a 1/2" white head that dissipated quickly.

S: Grapes, grass, tobacco, leaves and pine.

T: Red grapes, grass, tobacco, pine, grapefruit. Tastes like Simcoe was misused on this one. Either way, the hops used are not appropriate accompaniment for the Syrah grape must and other ingredients.

M: Dry, medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: Kind of a mess. Clashing flavours on this one.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's Sixty One last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. This seemed like a pretty interesting beer, I'm not a wine drinker at all, but I did enjoy Midas Touch, so I thought I should give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage, the first bottled release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks ok and it's pretty similar to their 60 and 90 minute IPA labels. It poured a slightly amber like red color that took on more of a bright red color when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. The beer looked nice, the color was pretty unique for a beer and the color did a remind of red wine.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by some grape and wine like aromas that seem to dominate the aroma of this beer and there's also a pretty big tart cherry flavor that when combined with the grape and wine aspect it reminds me og some cheap cherry wine that i have had many times, it amazes me how similar the aroma is. Up next I get a lighter hops aroma that have a slight citrus and floral hop aroma. This aroma is nice, it's pretty weird for a beer, but I do like how the lighter hops aroma worked with the wine like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a flash of grape flavor that is quickly followed by some grainy and slightly bready malts. Up next comes some more grape flavors that taste more like a sparkling red wine and it's followed by a lighter amount of hops that impart a slight citrus and floral flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of lower bitterness with a little bit of tartness to go with it and it had a grainy, hoppy bitter, and sparkling wine like after taste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I thought that the grape must was too overpowering, I wish the hops showed up some more, but the bitterness was right where it should be.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, pretty dry, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a slight higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little a fizzy. The mouthfeel was nice, the dryness and fizzyness reminded me of sparkling wine.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of a fruit infused IPA, I don't think there's any other grape must infused IPA's to compare it to, but I thought it was an interesting and unusual take on a traditional American IPA. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these on a warmer summer day, it was more drinkable then I was expecting. What I liked the most about this beer the drinkability, I never thought this beer would be as drinkable as it is. What I like the least is how light the hops are, I think more hops would make this beer more IPA like, maybe they need to make 91 or a 121, I might buy this beer again, I think this would be a nice beer to share with someone who usually doesn't like beer, I would recommend this to anyone that doesn't mind fruity IPA's. All in all I thought this beer was pretty solid, but I do wish it was little more IPA like and little less sparkling wine like, but for a beer that I didn't have high expectations for, this one turned out pretty nice and I'm glad I took a chance on it. Nice work Dogfish head, This a good example of an odd beer that tastes better than it sounds.

4.43/5  rDev +21.7%

Had a four-pack of these, poured into teku/flute/tulip just for fun. Pours a pretty pink-purple with a lovely contrasting white fizzy head. Smells of both beer and wine...similar to the Noble Rot. Taste starts with the grape flavor of a white or pink wine, then hops take over, then a dry wine-like finish. Incredibly drinkable and refreshing, I wish I had another 4-pack to enjoy. It's not quite beer, not quite wine...certainly not a fruit beer as some have said. This is a delicious hybrid by a brewery that isn't afraid to break the rules.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a purplish red with a half inch head, very mild lace.

Grape must, slight caramel and citrus. Very grape heavy smell.

Grape starts the taste. On the dry side of sweet. Some plum and caramel with a hint of grass and citrus. Goes down pretty smooth.

Interesting take on the IPA, but I think the grape must turned it into a fruit beer. All traces of the backing IPA are killed by the grape. Doesn't taste bad though.

3.14/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle. Decanted into a curved pint glass.
Appearance: The color of the inside of a plum. Fizzy white head.
Smell: Confusing. Not quite wine… not quite beer. Actually not very inviting.
Taste: Surprisingly nice. Dry tannic wine up front, and finishes with some fruity hop bite. As it warms the wine mellows and the beer steps up.
Mouthfeel: The body is light, and the dry wine makes it feel thin. The carbonation wakes everybody up and tells them to go home.
Overall: I never would have thought to make a hopped wine spritzer, but overall it was pretty nice. Not sure I’d drink a whole keg of it, but I’ll finish what I bought.

2.2/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

From bottle to nonic pint glass

Well, at least the beer looks nice. Amber with a touch of ruby-red, the brew is unlike any IPA I've seen. But that's about the only compliment I can offer. The hop-forward bouquet starts with floral, vinous tones, but there's a sour, musty backdrop, presumably from the added grapes. The palate follows the nose, which a punchy, hop astringency quickly suffocated by an acidic, sour-grape sweetness. Notes of caramelly malts try to balance things out, but the grape-hop combination is completely disjointed and off-putting. The finish reminds of wine that's been left out for a couple of days. Definitely a miss.

3.21/5  rDev -11.8%

bottle into a sam adams glass

big, bubbly. pinkish-white, bright head. rose colored, clear liquid.

smell is hops. grass like and clean, with a little earth at the end.

taste is hops up front, with a sweet/sour finish from the grape juice. good balance.

mouth feel is a little thin with good carbonation. easy to drink.

overall, an interesting beer, but I don't think that I will go out of my way to have another. It would probably be a great beer for someone who normally drinks wine, and was looking for a good beer to drink. worth trying, especially if you are a wine drinker

4.17/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- Pale ruby red with one finger of grayish head made up of stacks of small, compact bubbles.

S- Very subtle hops with the syrah coming out quite a bit. Smells of dry red wine with hints of blackberry and black currant. Quite subtle nothing huge.

T- Follows nose quite closely with even more subtle hop coming through. Very interesting as the hops and alcohol hide behind the syrah must. The IPA and wine combination is especially interesting as the abrasiveness of the IPA is balanced by how subtle syrah grapes (especially French) can be. Not sweet and stays a little on the dry side.

M- Very interesting mouthfeel on this one as it's quite effervescent with the tightly stacked bubbles. Medium in body slight dry finish.

O- I really liked this experimental IPA from Dogfish Head. It combines two of my favorite things in the world and does it well. I was expecting the IPA to overpower any grape characteristics but it was the other way around and the syrah fruit won out! I wasn't going to try this until I saw the dissonance in the Bros between the BAs reviews and I am glad I did. Cheers.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A - A ruby red color with a thin, reddish, foamy head.

S -The sweet fruity aromas hit you right when the cap pops off the bottle.

T - The taste was a great surprise. The smell misleads you into thinking you're about to drink a sweet beer, but it's actually a little bitter - almost tart. There isn't a whole lot of flavor. Some subtle hints of the grape must - definitely not overwhelming.

M - It has a thin body with a lot of carbonation.

O - DFH has been a favorite brewery of mine as far as I can remember. I was expecting another high quality release with this beer, but I was really disappointed. My expectations for DFH are pretty high, and they rarely disappoint, but this beer doesn't live up to quality and taste of some of their better known brews like 90 Minute and Burton Baton. Still a DFH brew nonetheless, so it still a good beer, just one I'd expect from a less prestigious brewery.

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a Dogfish Head shaped pint.

Fuchsia wine cooler color with a short white head that dissipates quickly. Excellent clarity with low carbonation.

Raspberry, watermelon and Splenda...

Raspberry and watermelon. Sweetened red wine with light notes of caramel. Maybe a touch of orange juice and tangerine.

Medium bodied, crisp, sticky and dry.

Well, it's really not as bad as I anticipated. It is wine-cooler-esque, but on a higher level.

2.64/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a crystal-clear reddish color. The head is a one finger white shade. I love the look and the texture of the head, in particular.

S: There is a shit ton of earthy mustiness to this one - okay, it's not the freshest bottle by any stretch, but the hops are damn near nonexistent. Unsweetened grape, caramel, and toffee notes round out the mediocre aroma.

T: At first, it drinks much like 60 Minute, with its malty opening giving way to a vaguely citrusy midpoint. It's the finish that ruins things, offering far too much musty sourness. Every once in a while, I notice a vinous tone on the aftertaste that I enjoy, but this is a mess otherwise.

M: Sweet and a bit heavy. The vinous notes try to cleanse the palate, but instead only create astringency. I don't think its undrinkable, but there are too many conflicting qualities in both the flavor and the palate to make it an enjoyable offering.

O: This offering is proof positive that gimmicky and innovative are two entirely different beasts altogether - and this is most certainly the former. It's basically 60 Minute crossed with a crappy wine. C'mon, Dogfish Head, less gimmicky nonsense and more quality offerings!

3.26/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Sixty One pours a clear purple color with a small fizzy light pink head on top. The foam fades quickly leaving no lace on the glass.

The aroma is fruity with strong grape notes. Reminds me of jelly. A touch of bread is also detected.

Each sip of this light to medium bodied beer is soft on the palate with an effervescent fizz. The flavor is sweet and fruity. Grapes dominate, but there's a nice sweet bready malt throughout. Some floral notes and a touch of lemon are at the end. It finishes dry with a lingering earthy grass flavor when gone.

This beer has an interesting flavor. Seems more like a wine than a beer.

3.13/5  rDev -14%

12 oz bottle dated 2/26/13. Cool color scheme on the bottle.

Appearance: Pours a unique rosé Color, with a thin one finger fizzy white head. Retention is pretty good. with some glass covering lacing.

Aroma: Spicy, floral hops. Distinct malt backbone. Vinous fruity acidity.

Taste: A light touch on floral and spicy hops up front. Hints of pine. The same malty backbone that 60 minute has before a fruity vinous tannic spice brings up the finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin, fizzy carbonation. Lighter medium body. Weird wine-like finish. Dry, with wine-like tannic qualities.

Overall, not very impressive. Another odd beer from DFH that just falls short. Interesting concept and I like the story of how this beer came to be, but it doesnt do it for me. Fun to try but probably not anything I would purchase again. Maybe just to try it on draft.

2.79/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard branded bronze colour pressure cap and interesting iconic label acquired at a local SoCal beer store earlier tonight and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; not a big Dogfish Head guy usually but I like a select few offerings. "India Pale Ale brewed with Syrah grape must." 6.5% ABV confirmed. Bottled 02/26/13 (refrigerated since receipt at the store).

Served cold straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger dreadfully thin white-pink colour head of horrid thickness and pretty decent (~3 minute) retention. Body colour is a unique rose/pink. Clear, fluid, clean, and translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Lacing is thin, uneven, and unappealing. Weak-looking; lacks vibrance or solidity.

Sm: Floral, soapy, and light piney hop character. Malty sweetness. Sweet syrupy grape; it's not appealing. Juicy grapeskin. Some lychee. Sticky and nectary (in a bad way - and not from the hops). No hop bitterness comes through, though the sticky sweetness is so distracting I'm not sure I'd notice it if it did. An imbalanced, off-putting aroma of moderate strength. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Lightly syrupy sweet grape juice reminiscent of a generic brand fizzy grape drink. Lacks body, with weak pale and crystal malts trying to hold it up but failing; this beer has no backbone. Overly sweet with heavy grapeskin and lychee-like syrup. Poorly balanced and badly built. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Hop character is generic and floral; poorly done for an IPA. Weak, pathetic, unrefreshing. Not getting any wine notes or wine must notes.

Mf: Weak, clean, smooth, wet, thin, and lightly watery. Good carbonation. Poor body. Poor presence on the palate. Not at all to style. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. It's unique but poorly done. I wouldn't get it again, but I applaud the experimentation. Priced highly for the lack of quality. Another gimmick brew from Dogfish Head. Not recommended.

Low C

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a sparkling, decent head that quickly fizzles. Appears like a dark rosé in the glass. Definitely a good grape nose, with some pine and slight hops in the background. Taste is prominently from the Syrrah grapes, though again, a bit of pine and citrus even it out. Overall an interesting beer...don't know if I'd buy a whole 4-pack of it, but if I saw it again, especially in the warmer months, I'd give it another go.

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Bottled on 2/26/13 stamped on bottle neck.

Appearance: Pours a clear medium cranberry-pink color with orange highlights a 1 finger bubbly snow white head which dissipates quickly but never disappears. Tons of effervescent bubbles throughout.

Smell: Floral hops and sweet citrus with sweet malt and a nice fruitiness that I assume comes from the Syrah must.

Taste: Mild floral and citrus hops along with sweet malt up front followed by grassy hops in the middle before ending with lemon zest and tannic grape hulls at the finish. Aftertaste is bitter and puckering.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. A bit watery for an IPA.

Drinkability: Medium drinkability. It's goes down easy, but I wouldn't want multiples.

Overall: Average beer overall. I was excited to try this one, but it didn't really work for me. It's worth a shot, but I wouldn't really seek this one out again.

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Gorgeous red color that slowly turns Pink as you finish it. However, no lacing. Two-finger head that appears to be more fizzy than foamy.

S: A slight berry and grapefruit aroma, but that is all. I don't get any hop aromas at all whatsoever.

T: It seems like this beer is trying to fuck with me. The taste profile just doesn't work. There are two completely different flavors and they just don't correlate with each other. This is supposed to be an IPA-based beer, but I don't taste any hops, or any IPA characteristics at all, for that matter. The Syrah grape must has clearly defeated the hops.

M: Mouthfeel is alright I guess, but nothing too impressive. Each sip I take, I get a slight fizziness on my tongue - similar to a soda.

O: I like the idea of this particular beer. I admire the creativity of DFH and will always support them... HOWEVER, this "61 minute" reminded me of when I was a kid and used to drink cherry soda. I understand that DFH is trying to expand their Wine/Beer hybrids, but there's only so much they can do.

Don't give up, DFH!

3.64/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a reddish coppery amber with a half finger odd-tinted off-white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of grape juice and sweet light biscuit malt, slightly musty. Flavor starts with biscuit malt and grassy hops, then slightly oaky, dry red wine becomes dominant; finishes dry and tannic. Medium bodied. An interesting experimental hybrid, but the fresh hops that make 60 minute great are muted by the vinous flavors and the finish is too dry and earthy for a ale for my taste. When I drink wine, I prefer dry, oaky reds, but this combination just doesn't work for me. I'd rather have the individual components. Kudos to Dogfish for an intriguing try, but didn't work for me.

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a clear pinkish brown with a light pink head that leaves little bits of lacing.

Smells of a little grapes and some floral hops.

Tastes of the fruitiness with some light IPA notes underneath. Fruity grape notes lead off with a fair amount of sweetness. This leads into a little citrus and floral hops. A bit of caramel and toasted grain comes through after this.

Mouthfeel is medium-light with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, I don't like this. I don't find any of the flavors to be offensive, but it really comes off as a wine cooler with hops to me.

2.97/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A - light ruby/garnet color, very similar to watered-down sangria, pink tinted head that recedes to an 1/8". Light carbonation streams throughout

S - faint scent of malts, with a Loire-like rosè aroma. Hop are present but take a backseat. Refreshing smell!

T - extremely disjointed, the fruit doesn't know where to fit in. Slight piney-hop flavor that fades very quickly into an odd, metallic, lingering finish

M - great weight and carbonation. Well made in this aspect. A feel on the palate like an Anjou wine.

O - Need to go back to the drawing board. Very disappointed that this wasn't better. I will still support DFH through and through!

3.35/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A- pours red-amber color with some ruby hue, small foamy white head that almost had a purplish tone, long retention after the pour

S- Concord grape juice, grainy and cracker-like malt, artificial grape candy, vegetal and earthy

T- tart grape flavors provide somewhat wine flavors, mid-palate is slightly sweet and malty, the finish is strong herbal hops with some medicinal flavor, dry-yet-bitter finish with herbal and floral hop linger

M- medium-light body with medium carbonation, foamy mouthfeel and finish

O- not really sure what to think about this one, I find it hard to classify this as an IPA. It's certainly different but not something I will be purchasing again

2.74/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks Chris!

(A)- Pours a clear reddish ruby color. Some good white froth that dissipated quickly.

(S)- Very red wine grape juice centric with the ever so slight hint of some bitter pine.

(T)- Again, very red wine like with the very subtle citrus and pine.

(M)- A smooth and crisp carbonation level. Slightly sweet yet slightly bitter. Plenty of tannis that I think upped the bitterness level even higher.

(O)- An interesting take on their classic 60 minute. I appreciate the effort, but if I want an IPA, I would much rather have the regular over this. There is just not a ton going on and the wine masks everything I like about an IPA. This would be much better suited to be put under the Fruit/Vegetable beer section than IPA.

3.29/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

LOOK: Pours a ruby red color with a white head. Leaves some lace on the glass, but looks a bit like a wine cooler. To be expected since it is brewed with grapes.

SMELL: Pale malts, fruity wine, and some faint hops.

TASTE/FEEL: Tart wine notes are complimented by some earthy hops. Creamy maltyness lends some depth to the flavor. Earthy, winesque and somewhat dry. Medium bodied and sporting a high level of carbonation.

OVERALL: For a fruit beer, this is pretty good. By no means is this an IPA. It's more like a bittered wine cooler.

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle, Botled on 2-26-13

Pours ruby hued medium amber. Off white head, again with a ruby accent.

Nose is slightly floral, with hops in the rear.

Tasty IPA, 60 minutes hops in near full force, with a noticable floral/wine note adding to complexity. Interesting and different, I find the results of this experiment to be quite successful.

Worth a try, I expect this one to go along well with rustic, flavorfull BBQ in some summer warmth

Sixty-One (61) from Dogfish Head Brewery