Pangaea - Dogfish Head Brewery

PangaeaPangaea

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Brewed with ingredients from each and every continent, Pangaea is a slightly spicy ale with a mouthful of rich flavors. It's a great food beer.

Our list of worldly ingredients includes: Crystallized ginger from Australia, Water from Antarctica, Basmati rice from Asia, Muscavado sugar from Africa, Quinoa from South America, European yeast, North American maize.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-26-2003)
Reviews by cosmicevan:
cosmicevan

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

From notes taken a while back...

A - Heavy amber with thin head and lively champagne-like carbonation.

S - Sweet & spicy. Apple, pear, coriander, clover...

T - Citric and fruity with spices.

M - Smooth and even. Lively, yet soft and silky. A touch bitter, but great overall.

D - Awesome. Easy to drink, one of my favorite DFH beers I've had.

07-04-2010 19:05:45 | More by cosmicevan
oberon

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a deep hazy orange with a huge blooming fluffy head that leaves a nice amount of lacing,aroma of honey comes thru and some sweet malt.Taste is fresh and lightly sweet I pick up a hint of the ginger in the finish also some light medicinal notes.I like this brew fresh tasting bursting with flavors.I see I like it more than most.

04-15-2004 00:33:35 | More by oberon
TCHopCraver

3.35/5  rDev -10.9%

Reviewed from notes on 7/4/10.

A: Golden-amber color. The short head disappears quickly. A small film shaped like Casper the Friendly Ghost resides on top of the beer. I do not see any lacing of which to speak.

S: Ginger. Some nice sweet malts are present, too, but I get mostly ginger spice in my nostrils.

T: This reminds me of alcoholic Vernors. The ginger is very prevalent, although there is a fertile soil flavor in the middle of each sip and a decent bitter finish.

M: Pretty thin on the entirety, with a little bit of a fuller kick at the end.

D: I am glad that I tried this one, but it seemed like a one-trick pony to me. I got a lot of ginger out of it and really not much else.

07-08-2010 19:20:08 | More by TCHopCraver
orbitalr0x

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

I was very excited to finally find this one...an ingredient for each contient is a very cool idea and I'm interested to see what Dogfish Head came up with here. The cork comes out with a nice pop and some wisps of white smoke. Pours a deep semi cloudy amber brown with a thin bubbly head. Mellow nose with yeasty tones, hints of candi sugar and a nice ginger spiciness. There's a light mixed fruitiness as well.

First sip has a nice sweet malt upfront with hints of tropical fruits. Big ginger spice flavor dominates. There's a nice yeasty character as well. I like the ginger....quite an intersting brew overall. A slight butterscotch flavor peeks out as the brew warms.

Mouthfeel is fairly smooth with a medium body...makes it very easy to drink...however a bit more body and carbonation wouldn't hurt. I'm putting this 750 down myself and it should be no problem. Kudos to DFH for putting out yet another unique experimental brew.

02-27-2005 05:16:55 | More by orbitalr0x
JasonA

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Bottled on 10/30/06

Pours a crystal clear light carmel. Little to no head, virtualy no lacing. Solid stream of bubbles coming up through the middle of the bottom of the glass.

Light smell, ginger in there. Citrus, is that grapefruit? Maybe some alcohol and hops, too tough to tell. Was expecting more.

Not much going on. Something fresh about the taste, crisp. Citrus, ginger, grapefruit, maybe some hops finish. Something different and bitter at the end.

Feels nice, nothing overt about it. Dare I call it boring. Most likely it needs to age a good bit more.

Not sure I would seek out this beer. Glad I tried it once, but not something I think I would search for. I do have another from this batch which will spend some time away from friends :)

12-29-2006 02:10:12 | More by JasonA
lordofthewiens

Maine

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

A 750ml bottle, not corked but capped, served in a snifter. It was a clear orange color with a small white head and a little lacing. It had a spicy, yeasty aroma. Tasted like a Belgian, then some late spice (I guess the ginger) came through. A very smooth, drinkable beer. I'd call it a schizophrenic Belgian.

01-24-2007 21:17:41 | More by lordofthewiens
gregmoscetti

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Like all good BA experiences, Pangaea's cap was popped over a good meal with good friends. This was an 07 bottle that I had hanging out in the beer cave for quite a while.

I paired it with Pork Belly Buns made out of David Chang's Momofuku cookbook (pretty much a Pork Advocate cookbook). The ginger in this beer along with its light body and Belgian yeasty sweetness made it an ideal accompaniment to the spicy, salty dinner. it left me fat and happy and ready to stroll into Martin Luther King day...

01-18-2010 06:52:39 | More by gregmoscetti
Todd

Colorado

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Caged and corked champagne bottle, and I allowed it to condition for a while before chilling. "This beer ages with the best of em." states the label, but I'm drinking this one fresh.

Pours a bright peachy amber with a massive 3-4 finger frothy foam head. Slight haze from the yeast. Excellent head retention and wispy tentacle stick to the glass. Soft fruity aroma with plenty of steel (smells like my wok), esters, alcohol, notes of peach, strawberry and bubblegum. Odd combo of aromas. Smooth mouthfeel, a bit creamy, full. Moderate carbonation with a brief seltzer-like fizz on the palate. Even malt sweetness of peaches with pears on the edge. Sugary sweetness in the middle, touch of floral honey. Plenty of defining ginger character, though not as spicy as I expected (like a can of warm ginger ale), followed by a berry / gum character (like when you've chewed some juicy berry gum until almost all of the flavor is gone). Yeah, berry. Maybe even some of that sweetness you get from roasted carrots or parsnips, too. Bone dry in the finish, with some residual ginger, but for the most part it's clean.

A wonderful beer with some interesting Saison / farmhouse ale similarities. Very quaffable and refreshing. Well worth a try.

04-25-2004 22:03:36 | More by Todd
marvin213

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

This lightly-hued ale, complete with its frothy top, looks delicious. Skewed to the brown side relative to pale ale peers, the soda-ish head and DIPA-like lacing let this one look a step above the rest. CO2 bubbles rush to the surface even minutes after the pour. It appears like another well-crafted DFH production.

The smell is crystallized ginger, and the aforementioned bubblies let the nose nexus with mine. The Belgian yeast stays uncharacteristically in the background. Though perhaps both pale malts and even ginger are found all over the world, I can't help but wonder about the beer's name's origin. It smells like a malt beverage with ginger...and the carbonation makes that delightful.

As I savor the sip from my DFH snifter, I must acknowledge that the taste is more ordinary. The bubbles again predominate as I feel the liquid better than I taste it. Unfortunately, pale malts again disappoint me. Not even the Belgian yeasts are extraordinary. A ginger beer, however, is still cool in my book, and this is a cool beer.

The well-crafted beverage oozes all over taste sensories, as even post-swallow leaves my cheeks a-tingling. If only there were a little more substance to push around.... Nevertheless, it's a great take on a unique beer. It's novel enough to keep handy, and I know no other beverage I'd prefer paired with my sushi.

12-29-2009 21:32:59 | More by marvin213
SmellsofMahagony

05-17-2013 01:37:15 | More by SmellsofMahagony
iemailjack

01-08-2013 00:31:28 | More by iemailjack
Billolick

3.33/5  rDev -11.4%

large bottle, caged and corked, without any freshness dating to be found. Almond in color, murky with a minimal off white head, very minimal lacing also observed. nose is sweat and raisiny. this is a strong, strange and differant concoction, for a change from DFH.... Too sweet for me to buy another bottle. Strangly out of balance.

02-16-2005 16:17:06 | More by Billolick
badbeer

Iowa

3.03/5  rDev -19.4%

Apricot in color with a very minimal head and lacing. The smell is of sweet malt and ginger. Again, the taste is much like the smell with predominant tastes of ginger and sweetness from the malt, the ginger gives a bit of a bite to the beer, found a taste of apricot in this as well as some hop bitterness, but it just didn't seem like everything fit. Light in body with a medium carbonation. I would recommend splitting up the bottle or having it as part of a group tasting. It was alright, but was a bit cloying.

01-27-2006 01:41:03 | More by badbeer
Mora2000

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is full of bread with some ginger notes. There is also some fruit in the aroma but I can't put my finger on exactly what fruit it is. The flavor is similar. The predominant flavor I get is ginger, but there is also some sweetness from the bread and toffee malt. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Pretty good, but I was hoping the beer would be more complex.

04-07-2012 03:25:24 | More by Mora2000
mattster

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

25.6 oz Bottled sometime in 2007, but stamp is distorted. Crown cap, not cork. I purchased this one in late November, so it was bottled sometime before that, obviously.

Poured into GFH Snifter, Nice 1" layer of bubbly head that slowly subsided to about a 1/2". Reasonably clear Amberish-orange color... has nice effect when light hits it.

Smell is of ginger and light spice - very clean aroma. Taste is amazing. Ginger fills the palate, but other flavors make themselves known as the brew goes on. Slightly sweet, but very nice. I really like this beer. Maybe because I really enjoy ginger.

Really nice mouth feel, although bubbles are not apparent in glass, they greet the tongue with a pleasant burst.

The finish is smooth, but there is a slight aftertaste. Its not unpleasant, I just want some water. Obviously, you're not going to drink more than one of these in a session.

01-02-2008 06:12:46 | More by mattster
OldFrothingSlosh

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Champagne bottle, corked and caged. Hefty "pop" of the cork with a little vapor escaping behind it.

Very fizzy orangish color. All sorts of bubbly streams from the bottom and sides of the glass effervesce millions of tiny bubbles to the top of the beer. Very creamy head that's off-white in color and not only remained at two-finger thickness the entire time, but also laced the glass with chunky rings.

Nose has some ginger (who'da thunk it?) and some other yeast-citrus notes. Maybe a whiff of a grassy-earthen hop note as well.

Flavor is rather...bland. Almost like a hodge-posdge of flavors mixed together with no apparent direction. More of the ginger definitely noted, along with some estery fruit, cotton candy sweetness, spices. Finishes bubbly and dry, with just a whisper of fire from the ABV.

Nice body and fizzy/spritzy on the palate. Maybe I'm missing the gist of this beer, but I just didn't really care for it. Tough to finish the entire bottle.

04-23-2006 22:46:31 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
magictrokini

2.68/5  rDev -28.7%

Another aperitif from Dogfish head. I admire the innovation, but this just wasn't that good. Pours clear gold with a short white head. Aroma and flavor of ginger, as in LOTS of ginger. It was sake-like, possibly from the rice, but the ginger was overpowering.

12-05-2008 23:31:36 | More by magictrokini

09-12-2012 13:27:53 | More by wattoclone
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

750ml bottle poured into a dfh off-centered pint glass.

Pours a very clear light golden/brown with a nice bit fluffy white head and a lot of bubbles. Nose is very spicy, ginger and citrus are very present. Strong Belgian nose.

Taste is very spicy, lots of ginger and citrus as per the nose. It's a bit spicier than I like but it's what they were going for. No alcohol is present here so it's somewhat drinkable but 1 bottle is more than enough.

01-17-2010 01:40:53 | More by kingcrowing
jondeelee

3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

Pangaea begins on a strange note, the aroma wafting from the bottle smelling like an odd mixture of light beer, ginger, and soy sauce--in fact, I instantly felt like I was sitting at a sushi restaurant. The smell isn't necessarily bad, but it does contain a smoky vegetable note that, coming from a beer, is quite strange.

On the tongue, the presence of ginger is immediate, though thankfully not overwhelming. Instead, just enough crystallized ginger--think the flavor of ginger that comes with sushi--has been added to give the beer a sugar-and-sour tang. A good layer of toasted grains and brown sugars lies below the ginger, and hops provide a pine bitterness that helps balance out the sugar and ginger. The aftertaste is largely ginger, with hints of grain. Mouthfeel is medium-light, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is an interesting brew, and worth trying at least once. However, I suspect many will balk at the strong presence of ginger, and I have to admit that, after only a few sips, I find myself wanting a nice, thick stout in my other hand to help cleanse and refresh my palate.

08-03-2011 19:36:48 | More by jondeelee
RyanPS

11-16-2011 00:08:15 | More by RyanPS
far333

Connecticut

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Served in a balloon red wine glass, as the "directions" on the label suggest. Hazy apricot color with a foamy beige/orange head that settles slowly. Nose of ginger and honey, with hints of sweet apple. Flavor seems to start off with pear, a little doughey and yeasty, with some understated ginger, and a finish of orange peel. I must say though, that I'm picking up some band-aid in the lingering aftertaste. Spotty bits of lace dot the glass. Aftertaste morphs into a medicinal thing. Mouthfeel is tingly upfront, but smooths out in the finish. Interesting brew, but not sure if I'll pick it up again.

04-02-2004 13:16:28 | More by far333
StevenBilodeau

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

This is was interesting brew.

it poured straw yellow, and pale gold.

A small cream head.

Smelled of subtle ginger spice, crisp hops and clean spring water.

The taste was interesting, there was a peppery spice accompanied by the ginger spice. The beer was super crisp, and drinkable.

I got some notes of apricots, dried fruits, and grass...

The after taste is lingering.

This is a good beer.