Pangaea - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-26-2003

Brewed with ingredients from each and every continent, Pangaea is a slightly spicy ale with a mouthful of rich flavors. It's a great food beer.

Our list of worldly ingredients includes: Crystallized ginger from Australia, Water from Antarctica, Basmati rice from Asia, Muscavado sugar from Africa, Quinoa from South America, European yeast, North American maize.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pangaea Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +30.5%

Dogfish Head Pangaea poured an amber color with a small head, that stayed present through out the beer. It smelt of hops, and ginger, almost like gingerale. The taste was excptional, it was strong, and the ginger flavors stood out, there were other spices present as well, nothing overpowered. It was easy to drink, and I wanted another after, the only promblem with this beer is the price.

4.85/5  rDev +29.7%

I am very pleased with this Dogfish Head Brew. It is different than anything else I have had but it leaves me with excitement to try more Dogfish Head brews. The color and clarity is excellent and the aroma is exactly as it tastes. It is amazing to have a beer smell and taste the same, to me that is how it should be and Dogfish Head has it nailed with pangaea. It has a smooth mouth feel and is not syrupy but very palatable. Though I would not refer to it as a "session" beer, but you could easily relax with a couple pints. I would recommend this to any beer lover.

4.84/5  rDev +29.4%

750 ml bottle

Appearance - golden amber

Smell - Full of cinommon

Taste - Full of sweet spice and cinomon

Mouth feel - light body and bubbly

I love This beer ! defiantly in my Top 5 . Amazing. Every sip is full of flavor and spice . Also its pretty cool drinking a beer that was made with something from every contentnet . Wow ! i love this beer

4.82/5  rDev +28.9%

A delightful experience.

A - It pours a smooth beautifully golden with little head. With an IPA i would expect more head, but with an experimental strong ale no head is fine.
S - Nothing exceptional about the aroma. I catch a bit of the ginger and perhaps some citrus, oranges? There seems to be a lighter almost grape or raisin undertone. very mild, but very nice.
T - I'm a huge fan of DFH and this is my favorite from them. When experienced cold there is a crisp and refreshing bite of ginger and citrus, low hops. As it warms the hops become more potent and the flavor evolves. Such a good beer. Perhaps the best beer I've ever had.
M - Mouthfeel is good. not to biter or overly bubbly. very refreshing all around.
D - I can drink this all day till I pass out naked on my neihbor.... seriously.

Best beer at a reasonable price. DGH does it again. I used to say Stone was the best, but my loyalties have shifted. Promote these breweries for this reason alone, tast and creativity.

4.77/5  rDev +27.5%

A very easy to drink yet complex beer clocking in at 7% abv. faint ginger flavor makes it unique but not too over the top.

totally worth the price tag, can definitely drink this again and

Nice lacing,
light foamy head,
Crisp taste.

As much as I could have chugged this beer I wanted to savor it and enjoy every sip

4.75/5  rDev +27%

Bottles 10/30/2006, 750 ml bottle, poured into my Weyerbacher tulip glass.

A - Burnt orange, 1-2" head, tiny bubbles, little retention or lacing

S - Tons of ginger, floral/earthy hops, fruit esters

T - As with the smell lots of ginger, sweet/sour berry, fruit notes from the belgian yeast, touch of cocoa/roasted malt, finishes with moderate spice which balances the other complexities perfectly.

M - Medium bodied, carbonation which could only be described as fizzy.

D - If you're a fan of ginger, this is very drinkable due to the carbonation. Would gladly have a few more of these.

4.74/5  rDev +26.7%

22 oz bomber poured into frosted pilsner glass.

Really, really good stuff.

Appearance: golden, decent lacing throughout.

Smell:oak, ginger, mild hoppiness.

Taste- a real personal favorite. Sweetness and malt on the front end, followed by a strong ginger flavor, and finally a kick at the end from mild hops.

Mouthfeel- proper thickness for a beer of this style.

Overall- a dependable bomber (and even better on draft at DFH draft houses). Terrific beer.

4.72/5  rDev +26.2%

Holy hell, this one just popped the cork louder than any I have ever heard. Not surprising, the head on the pour is about 5 fingers high that falls to a finger of beer over the top. The color is a hazy peach. The nose is very spicey and well rounded with the ginger and some good fruity tones as well. The nose is very enticing. Damn....Kevin likey. Thre is a reat ginger and peppery aspect that floats over a awesome base of caramel and fruity malts. What a good beer. The feel is fairly thick as well, with a decent carb on it that is really nice. Drinkability is just great. Overall, another great beer from the DFH brewery.

Thanks to Clvand0 for sharing this treat with me.

4.7/5  rDev +25.7%

Pangaea is a delicious brew to say the least. one of dogfish head's less exclusive beers, but most definetly one of the easiest to put down. i can drink this all night and still feel light haha. kind of pricey, but well worth it. the bitter introduction raises eyebrows at first and mellow out after it settles. mighty light and swishy mouth feel, crisp and light.

4.67/5  rDev +24.9%

I've been waiting a long time to try this beer, and I wasn't at all disappointed.

Pours a pale amber color with almost no head at all. It actually began to fizz a bit after a few seconds in the glass, and gained a very minute white head. I've read many reviews that state there's a huge fluffy head, not in this case at all, it's exactly the opposite. I have another bottle, so I'll age it a bit and see what happens.

Smell: Very complex with hints of ginger and citrus fruit. Extremely inviting.

The taste is also extremely complex, almost too much going on to describe. The very low carbonation sort of reminded me of a cask ale. The mouthfeel is thin to moderate, but there is no lack of taste by any means.

Finishes pretty dry with a slightly sweet aftertaste.

This beer is fantastic, and it represents what I love about breweries such as DFH...their experimentation. Wonderful beer!

4.6/5  rDev +23%

My sample was 8 months old. I love this stuff.

Poured a golden amber, very clean with a tight pancake head.

The nose has fresh ginger, malt, and some floral hops.

The taste has crystalized ginger and hops and is winey and complex- very integrated flavors. Delicious.

The mouthfeel is rich and creamy with nice carbonation and not sticky at all. Very drinkable. My experience may have been because there was at least a little bit of age on the beer, which probably lead to a creamier more well integrated brew. I would definitely drink this again any time.

4.57/5  rDev +22.2%

The whole time I drank this all I could think was "What an interesting beer."
Pours an inviting orange color with a thick ringer.
Smells of ginger, I can't decide on what else but I am thinking brown sugar.
Taste is very interesting. More ginger, sugar, a little hops and the smallest hint of lemon. Very good.
Feels boozy in the mouth but I do not taste it. A little carbonation.
Drinks very easy, if anything because of how interesting it tastes. I'll be trying this again, but I might age it first.

4.56/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours smooth with little head, color is a deep, frosty brown-orange. I spent several minutes just enjoying the complex aromas of this beer-spices, notably ginger, with an undertone of citrus and pine were a delight to my nose. Ginger also dominates the flavor, but not overwhelmingly. A tart fruit flavor is also noticeable among the pleasant spiciness. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both above average for this style; Pangaea is tangy, crisp and goes down easy.

4.54/5  rDev +21.4%

Upon pouring, it was obvious this was an unusual beer. I poured it into a Duvel glass. I liked the golden color, even though some of my company was a little put-off by it. The aroma of it is very strong and complex, but there wasn't a great head. I spent a long time just smelling it to savor it. Upon first sip, I found the flavor overwhelming. Also, since it was served cold, it seemed a little biting. Once warming up though, it was much smoother and oh so enjoyable.

I find myself longing for some more... I guess I'll have to keep waiting...

4.53/5  rDev +21.1%

Pours a golden amber with copper highlights; it has an off white head with good retention.

Smells of ginger and sour yeast backed by citrus and a floral bouquet.

Up front in the mouth is bitter spice followed by sour fruit ( star fruit with out any sweetness) rounded out by a chewy mouth feel alive with spice, finishes dry & bitter with ginger notes.

There is no sweetness to this brew just bitter and sour = very nice. This beer sounds like a gimmick but tastes awesome.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

A few months ago, this was the last bottle at Spec’s, and I now notice BA lists Pangaea as retired although it is still on the DFH website. In any case, this was a great find.

Poured into a snifter. Beautiful orange color with little foam. Persistent carbonation.

Smells sugary sweet.

Ingredients on the bottle are listed as follows: Crystallized ginger from Australia, Water from Antarctica, Basmati rice from Asia, Muscavado sugar from Africa, Quinoa from South America, European yeast, North American maize.

I can taste ginger in the aftertaste, but not so much up front. It is subtle. If I didn't know it had ginger, then I would not have recognized it. Or, maybe it really doesn’t taste like ginger, but I think it does because I read the bottle. I cannot pick up on the rice or quinoa, but I imagine the corn adds to the sweet flavor. It had a honey-toast aftertaste. I did not pick up on any hops.

This made me want to investigate other Belgian strong pale ales. Subsequently, I have found that Pangaea is much more complex than others, which I attribute to the 7 continent brewing methodology.

Pangaea, if you are truly retired, you will be missed.

Sadly, I may not have another.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

I had this one for the first time in a small beerfest tasting cup at the Best Damn Brew Review in Hallandale Beach, FL last Friday.

Have to say I had no idea what was in the Dogfish Head "Mystery Keg", but much to my pleasure out came a taste of Pangaea.

To me this is a very broad-appeal beer...a very likeable beer that won't offend anyone and will delight many.

The combination of fruitiness and relative crispness makes this a nice warm-weather beer that is easy to drink. I did not have a large quantity of it so I cannot speak to the "session-ability" of this one.

4.45/5  rDev +19%

750ml brown bottle. Bottled in 2008. Obtained at The Lighthouse in Manchester, ME and shared with BA member MrHurmateeowish. pours a clear amber color with a half inch of off white head that quickly dissipated. scents of chocolate malts, caramel, toffee, a bit of hops. tastes of caramel, toffee, tinge of chocolate, herbal and woody quality, and hoppy. moderate carbonation. its very different than what i have tried in the past, but quite impressed with the beer. two thumbs up!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

appearance: Copper color, perfect lacing

smell: Sweet, spices, ginger

taste: Big ginger taste that is dominant. The aftertaste is clean as Antarctica glacier water. Rice and grains are in the background, but are covered up by a sugar explosion. This is a fresh and intense brew. Alcohol is not tasted at all.

mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation and perfect weight. Hides the 7% abv really well.

drinkability: The Pangaea is an easily drinkable brew, but watch out because the continents can creep up on you.

4.45/5  rDev +19%

Pours an impessive golden-copper, with nice clarity and a thick and frothy white head. Aroma has a nice belgian yeast character, as well as some white grape skins, honey, ginger, toasted bread, and some slight floral hops. The flavor begins with a honey sweetness, followed by toasted bread, ginger, belgian yeastiness, white grape skins, clove, pears and some herbal hops. The mouthfeel is light, with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is quite good, with no hint of alcohol and the finish is nicely dry. An interesting and complex beer, very drinkable and tasty.

4.45/5  rDev +19%

750 mL bottle, brought back from AZ, as a paleontology and paleoanthropology buff, this has been on my want list since I first heard about it years ago,

A: Pours orange with a moderate white head, good retention, mild lace. Translucent.

S: Definite ginger in the aromatics, I get some brown sugar, with some orange liqueur.

T: Fruit forward immediately with a lot of citrus mixed with a hint of ginger. The ginger is not as big and to the forefront as the nose was. Minor notes of brown sugar, the malt is good here, really almost cookie/pastry like, there is a bit of residual sweetness but it works with the other flavours.

M: Medium-bodied, soft carbonation, very smooth almost delicate perhaps from the rice.

D: This was a delicious intriguing beer that I'm glad I finally located. Another DFH beer I wish was distributed to CA, maybe in 2011, I can hope. Completely effortless to drink, between my dad and me this bottle disappeared fast.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a bottle, slightly chilled, into a Duvel glass. Copper/light amber color, just SLIGHTLY cloudy. Fizzy white head faded quickly but left some lacing.

Sugary ginger aroma dominates, backed with a nice combination of sweet malt and pepper.

Ginger, ahh sweet ginger... with an almost doughy malt, and a dry fruitiness. Slight floral hop character. Finishes with a kick of yeast and pepper, and one last rush of ginger.

Smooth and easy to drink; very lightly carbonated. Enjoyed this with my wife on our deck on a warm summer night. Wouldn't recommend it if you're not into ginger.

4.42/5  rDev +18.2%

Served from tap into a sampler shaker. Poured a slightly hazy golden yellow with a one finger pure white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, banana, and subtle brown sugar. The flavor was of sweet malt, banana, sweet potato, brown sugar, and clove. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a damn tasty brew. Smelled and tasted quite good. This is probably my favorite offering from DFH that I have had thus far... It was very complex in both aroma and flavor. Could see it being a great dessert brew, without being overly sweet. Nice job on this one DFH!

4.42/5  rDev +18.2%

The beer upon its extrication from the 750ml give or take a few ML pours a deep amber color, the head mastodonic in size, semi-creamy in texture and the color a nice very nice light tan, after its dematerialization a thick sheet of lace is left to cover the glass. Nose has a nice ginger aroma, with spiciness, reminiscent of cotton candy, vanilla, fresh and crisp, a quite sniffable brew tis true, start is sweet, the malted grain evident and the top moderate in feel. Finish is pleasantly carbonated, hops demure, dry and pleasant aftertaste, what else can you say about this beer that’s not already been said, except “Kick Ass” as always friends at “Dogfish Head”!

4.42/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured into a Corsendonk tulip.

A clear golden color with a one and a half finger white head that probably could have had better retention. It does leave a nice lacing however thanks to the thin cap that hangs out on top.

Smell is sweet with a kind of candied fruit thing going on. You can smell the ginger in the beer which is a bit of a surprise, I expected it to get lost in the rest of the beer. There is also a very light breadiness to it. Very complex smell and it is very pleasing.

Wow, this beer is REALLY good.

Taste is as complex as the smell with ginger, candy, bread and a slight hint of alcohol that really rounds out the taste. Again I'm really surprised that the ginger is so prominant in the taste.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp thanks to the thinner body and moderate carbonation.

Very easy to drink and all around delicious.

Pangaea from Dogfish Head Brewery