Pangaea - Dogfish Head Brewery

PangaeaPangaea

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Brewed with ingredients from each and every continent, Pangaea is a slightly spicy ale with a mouthful of rich flavors. It's a great food beer.

Our list of worldly ingredients includes: Crystallized ginger from Australia, Water from Antarctica, Basmati rice from Asia, Muscavado sugar from Africa, Quinoa from South America, European yeast, North American maize.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-26-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pangaea Alström Bros
Klif

Indiana

1.5/5  rDev -60.1%

01-31-2012 03:12:56 | More by Klif
hawks10

1.68/5  rDev -55.3%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip...

Pours a nice glowing golden orange with a good bit of haze. A vigorous pour yields about two fingers of fluffy-soft white head that leaves a little lacing...

Hmmm, the aroma leads to me believe I will not like this beer...VERY spicy, pepper and clove, tons of ginger and an overwhelming yeast smell...too spiced, way too spiced...

Yep. Taste follows the nose. Spice. Gross. I hate over-spiced beers. That's all I taste. Pepper. Coriander. Ginger. It's like a douchebag of a Wit made babies with a cracked out hooker of a Saison...then the resulting crack baby took steroids and broke the spice rack that became stuck to it's roided out sweaty-brow, then I licked the forehead...voila!! Pangaea!! Oh yea, there is some cracker like malt and a Belgian yeasty spice mixed in as well...wonderful!

Medium bodied, good carb...

I have strongly disliked EVERY Dogfish Head beer I have tried and it's my dumbass fault for buying this one. Idiot!

06-30-2010 02:40:18 | More by hawks10
Arbitrator

1.8/5  rDev -52.1%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from drabmuh. Thanks, Matt!

A: Pours a clear light-gold body in the glass, very effervescent and foamy. Decent retention with some lace as the head recedes, but nothing nearly as spectacular as a good Belgian.

S: Ginger, some pumpkin-like spice on the nose (I want to say nutmeg). Peppery phenols and a hint of fruit that reminds me of a tripel.

T: Lots of ginger, spice, and booze. It's kind of bland otherwise. I could probably pick out more if I spent more time at it, but the first few sips are underwhelming and I stop caring after a while. It's REALLY heavy on the ginger and sugar, which actually reminds me of honey.

M: Light-bodied, effervescent. Pretty boozy.

D: Ah... It's kind of gross. This is a beer I would actually turn down if someone offered me a sip.

03-30-2010 17:17:56 | More by Arbitrator
PDXHops

South Carolina

1.9/5  rDev -49.5%

On tap in a tulip. See-thru light amber with a modest head and scattered lacing.

Hmm, a vaguely Belgian nose. Rather light clove and banana, overripe orange, maybe a bit of pepper. Sort of tame. Taste is more of the same. Bland and bready, undercarbonated and uninspired. Honeyish sweetness with a tired clove finish. Vaguely fruity, but without clearly defined fruity flavors. Not much to say about this one; not terrible enough or good enough to merit additional commentary.

03-04-2011 01:58:05 | More by PDXHops
AgentZero

1.98/5  rDev -47.3%

A - Goldish color with a white head that dissipated semi-quickly with some spotty lacing.

S - This is one of the worst smelling beers I have ever smelled. It smelled somewhat like vomit. I'm not saying it smelled as bad as vomit, I'm saying it -literally- smelled like puke. I don't know how else to really describe it. Horrible.

T - Tastes a little better than it smells, but still not good. Ricey, gingery, and weirdly yeasty. A big conglomoration of flavors that is not blending well.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied, moderately carbonated.

D - Gross, can't drink it because it tastes horrible, maybe if I hold my knows I can get some more of it down...

05-16-2010 19:27:05 | More by AgentZero
Denali

1.98/5  rDev -47.3%

On tap at the Blind Tiger in New York City.

Appearance: Looks like mango juice with a small but very creamy nitro-like head that was very persistent.

Smell: No matter how many times I smelled it, I could not detect any aroma.

Taste: Almost no taste. Whatever tastes that were there were very faint. Slight peach flavor and grassy flavor. Very slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly syrupy but also very watery. No carbonation.

Drinkability: No bad flavors or strong alcohol flavor but the watery texture was annoying.

Comments: I was really looking forward to this beacuse of the idea of having an ingredient from every continent. Disappointing.

Serving type: cask

tommyguz

05-08-2013 02:52:53 | More by tommyguz
largadeer

2.05/5  rDev -45.5%

Shared by Arbitrator. Thanks, Arbi. Crystal clear pale gold with a small white cap that quickly dissipates. Reeks of signature Dogfish Head cloying sweetness. Caramel, green apples and ham-handed ginger make up the rest of the aroma; it's reminiscent of braggot. Similarly cloying on the palate, heavy ginger flavor, syrupy sweetness, honey, caramel. Syrupy and difficult to drink, this is quite terrible. Yet another gimmicky DFH beer with excessive sweetness and not enough complexity or balance.

03-25-2010 18:47:52 | More by largadeer
SubpoenaDeuces

2.13/5  rDev -43.4%

A: very little carbonation, thin light yellow color, slightly dark blonde at top with pilsner apple juice clarity at thinner side of glass, this 1/2 finger head that subsides quickyly, light lacing

S: sweet with notes of breads and ginger, candied rice notes, sugary aromas

T: taste sweet, overridingly so, the sweet notes dominate any maltiness and gives it an almost sugar/malted beverage character, like cider with cane sugar instead of wine/grape notes. its like biting into a gingerbread pastry with the vapor of ginger that lingers long after swallow. It doesn't get much easier with temp increase, the sugar notes cancel any alcohol or maltiness, there's very little hops to balance it out, it reminds me almost of the sweetness of mead when it is transferred from the primary to secondary. If it wasn't so well done, it would seem to be unbalanced or unintentional.

M: the mouthfeel is very thin, it would be better if there was some maltiness to balance out the indomitable sweetness. ginger does not belong in beer in this manner. Its like a gingerbread man stomps on the tip of my tongue and scurries down my throat, noting that I will be unable to catch him, true to form.

D: This is exceptionally undrinkable, very rarely do I open a 22oz and wish that it was only a 12oz. I cannot see someone sitting through more than 2 of these, if not sharing the single bottle. It taints my entire palate and makes me welcome something more balanced. If this were a Mario Kart racer, it would be Bowser, but instead of speed, a syrupy sweetness would be his overloaded statistic, much to my chagrin.

Narrative: That son of a bitch, how dare he show his face in here. "Welcome to Anthropologie" you grit through your teeth. looking at his pastel pink suit, that candyman child molesting son of a bitch. "Don't I...hey dont I know you from somewhere?" He smells like candied gauze and his scent is gagging sweetness. "Didn't you used to come to my candy shop all the ti-" he accidentally knocks a vase from the shelf with his gaudy cane. Oh great, now this sweet ginger asshole is ruining your merchandise. "No must be another...sir please, dont drink soda on the rugs" What an inconsiderate prick, getting his syrupy hands all over your things, regailing you with stories of his old candy shop. "NO OK STOP JUST NO, you arent welcome here" "WHY I WAS JUST TRYING T-" NO DONT LISTEN TO HIM. He is grating on your nerves and smells like a Central Valley carnival with saccharine sweetness choking you. "I tried ok...I really tried, there's nothing here for you, just leave." And like that, he left, only, that was only the first sip of this gentleman, and you see the tourbus idling in the parking lot. The series of pastel suits filing into the store is not unopressive.

05-04-2011 07:18:24 | More by SubpoenaDeuces
claspada

2.15/5  rDev -42.8%

Fairly clear, light amber with a fizzy white head that dissipates quickly; slim to non lacing.

Huge ginger/spice/maybe yeast aroma. A bit of a soapy smell as well.

Ginger and pepper come to mind immediately. Some earthy bitterness pulls through; not in a good hop way, slightly odd, hard to describe. Nutty flavors are all I can detect from a positive perspective; a little bland. Pretty disappointing effect here from a usually above average brewery.

08-24-2010 19:51:09 | More by claspada
lbkornlb14

2.2/5  rDev -41.5%

This beer is something different, too different for me. It tastes like someone mixed crest fresh mint toothpaste into my beer when I was going to the bathroom as a prank. It smells good and different, but Its drinkability is limited to less than one pint, if you cant say it better then someone already said it, dont. Read ChainGangGuy's review "Its not everyday that you get to pour water from antarctica down your drain"

08-04-2008 04:47:56 | More by lbkornlb14
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.2/5  rDev -41.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear, tan-colored body with a fizzy, off-white head.

Smell: Aroma of subdued, sweet malts. I'm struggling to find the ginger purported to be in this brew.

Taste: Quite bland! Muted, light maltiness with some vague notes of ginger.

Let's try it again!

Yeast and some graininess. Maybe some medicinal apple notes towards the end.

I would pay $20 extra to have this beer provide some real flavor. Paypal. Cash. Check. Immediately upon having some taste show up in my glass I will cut that check.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Well carbonated. Seriously. I am upping my offer to $22. That's twenty-two dollars American.

Drinkability: Man. What a gripping experiment! Ingredients from all over the world came together to make a bad beer. How often can you say you poured water straight from Antarctic down your sink?

11-22-2006 01:08:18 | More by ChainGangGuy
shand

2.25/5  rDev -40.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a wine glass, as suggested on the bottle.

This brew pours a fairly hazy deep amber color with fairly apparent carbonation. Head is minimal. Aroma is primarily spicy ginger, sugar, and yeastiness. The taste follows, it's surely a sweet ginger bomb. Yeastiness and a bit of hop presence back it up. I think it's just a little too cloying for my tastes, the ginger and sweetness are oppressive, and the fact that yeastiness is backing them up doesn't help this beer's case much. That said, it's obviously well-constructed, but it seriously tastes a bit like vomit to me. The mouthfeel is very nice, it's very carbonated which works with the ginger presence, and the mouthfeel is at about a medium thickness.

Overall? It's a probably decent beer, just not for me. I just can't seem to put this to my mouth as often as I'd like. It's got interesting, complex flavors for sure, but they're just not ticking the right boxes for me to love this. Drainpoured about half of the bottle. Still, worth a try, since I'm pretty sure it's a love it or hate it beer.

05-03-2011 01:29:32 | More by shand
jahred

2.28/5  rDev -39.4%

After noticing this beer in Sam's and taking it home, I was quite intruigued. Ginger, eh? Never tasted much giner in my beer before, except for the occasional hint in my spiced beer. But never in a pale ale before.

Pours a murky pale color with very little head. I guess I'm used to much darker offering from DFH, so I had to remember that this is a pale ale, not 120 min. IPA.

Smell? Well, this was the first sign that things were not going to be good. It smelled like a generic, macro ale (that sort of tasteless, skanky beer smell, for lack of a better description) - with a hint of ginger.

At first it tasted completely like a generic light ale. Perhaps Coors light? Bud light? I don't know - I can never tell the difference. As it warmed, a sickly sweet, malty gingery aftertaste started coming around. And then the crystalized sugar taste made an appearance too. I have no clue how this was all supposed to fit together, but it was bland and thin and not too tasty. And the giner almost made it worse.

Wow - I'm disappointed in DFH. Then again, maybe the ginger was never meant to be.

12-14-2003 23:31:35 | More by jahred
counselor

Connecticut

2.3/5  rDev -38.8%

I did not loke this beer, it simply tasted awful. The beer looked nice as it poured into the glass with a nice amber color and a huge frothy head. The aromas were ok, with a nice balance of malt, ginger and lemony hops. The taste, however, was repulsive; the raw ginger flavor overpowered all other components of the beer. Like chewing crystalized ginger from the spice rack. I was hoping for a ginger bread, or ginger snap flavor underlying a nice ale, but got a mouthful of yechy ginger!

12-21-2004 01:39:42 | More by counselor
andyj

Washington

2.33/5  rDev -38%

I have to zap this beer because I have been waiting so long to try it and when I finally get my hands on one... The aroma is what gets me first, bananas. You might think bananas are a good thing, but this is not a hefe we are talking about here. Also their world wide stout had a banana problem as well, so right when I took a sniff of this I was immediately disappointed. The taste is mediocre at best and the banana is in there as well, so now we are in trouble.

What I liked? Ginger, you get a hint of it behind the banana in the aroma. And you also get a hint of ginger-spice after the banana rolls off the tongue. I did buy two bottles so perhaps the banana will die down a bit after it has aged some more, but having produced a beer myself with a similar problem I'm not holding my breath.

The over banana-ish taste and flavor of this and the world wide stout lead me to believe they are having a yeast problem. Most likely fermenting this one at too high of a temperature. This is really disappointing because I am finding their products to go down hill a bit.

01-12-2005 19:43:21 | More by andyj
KChardstock

2.33/5  rDev -38%

I had noticed the bottle on the shelf at the store for a few days before i had the pleasure of obtaining a glassful from a friend of mine. DFH does a great job making outrageous brews so i was expecting something off the wall. the appearance was normal- orange and visibly clear. the head came out to about two finger with plenty of oxygen thrown in to the carbonation. the aroma is where i started to be turned off from the brew. ginger has an obvious presence. althougb i do not like ginger all that much in my beers, i tried to keep my head and give a fair trial. but for me one ingredient over powers the rest -ginger- and as i am drinking i can't get over it. one word for this beer ginger. which is wierd because the concept is a wordly beer, but all i get from it is one dominating ginger spice.

11-01-2009 02:26:47 | More by KChardstock
harrymel

Washington

2.35/5  rDev -37.5%

Bottled 2009, Reviewed 07FEB12
Pours hazy apricot with little foam formation. Smells like ginger and ketchup. the flavor doesn't follow through with as much intensity. The ginger is toned down and the malts are sweet and have a slight toffee and metallic flavor. thin and lower carb. Meh, not likely to have this beer again unless it is randalled through sumatran tangerines candied with organic brazilian sugarcane or something else fancy. 3/3/2/2/2.5

Bottled 2009, Reviewed 06/22/10
Poured from bottle to New Belgium tulip.
A: Bottle looked like a lowfill. To my surprise, large 'pop' on opening. Apricot color with high clarity. Consistent bubbles from bottom to top. 1/8" top head broken sporadically with color of ground orange rind. 3.5
S: No real herbal qualities to this ale, as expected. Pretty much smells grainy with hoppy resins. Reminds me of a pilsner. 2
T: Maltier than expected, the caramel malt shines. Slightly sour. Ginger emerges towards the swallow at the rear of palate. Finishes with exhalation of ginger. 3.5
M: Light, refreshing. Low carbonation toward end of beer. 3.5
D: Fun beer, but for the price point I think you can get much better beers with more playful flavor profiles. This being said, I have another bottle which I plan to age for an additional year. 3.5

02-08-2012 05:04:03 | More by harrymel