El Toro Negro Oatmeal Stout - El Toro Brewing Co.

El Toro Negro Oatmeal StoutEl Toro Negro Oatmeal Stout

good

El Toro Brewing Co. visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours very dark, almost black, with a thin tan head.

Taste is on the bitter side, combination of the hops and the roasted malts. Malts are darker than a typical oatmeal stout, in my experience, with a bit of smokiness adding to the aroma.

Mouthfeel is fine, nothing special.

A good beer to go with smoked or wood grilled meat, or baked beans.

3.43/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single at Total Wine at the end of September for $1.99.

Beer poured black with a nice tan head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose has hints of coffee and roasted malts.

Taste has a bit of a metallic tinge, some coffee, roastiness.

Mouthfeel is lacking for the style, thin and not overly smooth.

Overall it is a quaff-able beer but nothing to write home about. Overpriced for what you get.

3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

Sweet, cold, wet, dark dark brown, slightly bitter, and almost sticky, offering up a relatively suburban clean-cut low-statement middle-of-the-road taste. Kept sipping hoping I would find the right something that would help me put into words a rousing review. I started concluding that I was over-thinking it and that I should just try and enjoy the cool drink in my face; a superb beer would come up with its own invigorating remarks. Well, I finished my beer, decided that it didn't do it for me and enjoyed time with my friends.

3.2/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I have had this beer before, but learning the brewing process at El Toro has me pumped up to drink it again. Cool they brew so little beer at the brewpub. Looking at pictures of the brewpub, this place is small. Our kind of place. Oh, and looking at the label makes me think of the Breakfast Club. "You mess with the bull… you get the horns!" Ha!

We just got back from Flagstaff where we visited nearly every brewery within a 10 mile radius. We hit up Flagstaff Brewing Company, Lumberyard Brewing Company, Beaver Street Brewing Company, and Mother Road Brewing Company. Mother Road is sweet. They were all sweet. We also went to Hops On Birch, McGaughs SMoke & Bottle, and Oak Creek Brewing Company. I am losing track here… At Hops On Birch they had a Four Peaks tap takeover, and they had Sirius Black on tap. Yeah, we had some of that!

Before I forget, we also went to Made in the Shade, a huge beer festival in the middle of nowhere. It was $40, and while we drank a TON of beer, we won't be going back. The Strong Beer Festival is our new favorite. Anyway, I will stop talking about our weekend and start talking about this beer. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: Pitch black is right. That is dark as night. The head was nice, but didn't last long. It was a nice foamy tan that I wish was thicker and stickier. Not much lace here. The next time we have a weekend off, I want to head to California and see this operation. From the looks of it, it's small and this was basically a homebrew before they started bottling it. I have had all three beers from El Toro offered in Arizona. This was my favorite. Of course, this time I am drinking with a purpose!

Nose: Not much going on here… it has a nice metallic finish, but not as impressive as I expected it to be. I am getting some subtle chocolate malt flavors, but I have to dig deep to find them. I hope the flavor is better than this.

Flavor: That really delivers. I like the mouthfeel best…but I will get to that. The flavor isn't overwhelming, and it has a nice fluffy mouthfeel. The flavor hangs on a bit, but leaves my mouth polished and ready for another sip. This isn't an incredible beer by any means, but it does have a nice drinkability. I can see myself drinking a pitcher of this during dinner.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel, and the finish, is my favorite part of this beer. The head was, at first, thick and creamy. The mouthfeel is every bit of that. On a second sip, I swished it around in my mouth a little bit. Some of those same chocolate malt flavors come out, but it is SO overwhelming that I could barely swallow. Still a nice finish leaving a somewhat metallic finish. I bet this would be great room temperature.

Aftertaste: I expect a beer like this to have a longer finish… but that's OK. It's thin enough to justify drinking a pint or more of this. The price is right, too. That is if you can find it. Total Wine & More is always out of the El Toro beers. Not sure if that is just a distribution problem, or what. They ALWAYS have their amber, but I am not a fan of amber ales.

This is a good introduction to the style. The tasting notes mentioned the oats, but I am not tasting much of that. If I didn't know any better, I would almost call this an Irish dry stout. Still a good example of the style. If you are new to craft beer and/or oatmeal stouts, this is a great place to start. Cheers!

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: totally black with a thick finger of frothy dark-tan foam atop. Classic.

Smell: quite roasty and chocolatey, with a bit of over-roasted character. Good, but could be a little bit cleaner.

Taste: roasty right up front, with a harsher, ashier flavor toward the middle. Hop character is a bit vegetal, as well. Not bad, but not as smooth as I like in the style.

Mouthfeel: while the flavor might not be so smooth, the texture really is. Medium body with a silky creaminess that hits the spot.

Overall: there's an edginess to this beer that barbs me a little bit. It has its good points, though, and is worth a try at least.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Dark color, nearly black, with brown edges. Modest foam with no lacing at all. Kind of flat flavor of dark malt. Not real sweetness, and not much hoppiness either. Flavor is more of a grainy,butnt malt taste, with a malty aftertaste and very little bitterness.

Tastes more like a Schwartzbier. Is this the way Oatmeal Stouts are supposed to taste? The burnt sourish tang is stronger than I like. More like it's on the way to becoming a sour. I keep finding this taste with Arizona beers. Scorched cereal, mediocre carbonation, and that unpleasant sour edge. There are so many better stouts of every description. This is worse even than bottled Guinness.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a deep ebony color with a quickly fading tan head that leaves little to no lacing.

Smells of cocoa and oatmeal mostly.

Tastes of the oats and roasted malts. Coffee notes lead off transitioning over to some cocoa notes. Oatmeal is present throughout. A touch of earthiness also comes through and rounds everything out.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, a pretty decent oatmeal stout, but nothing that stands out.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

El Toro Negro Oatmeal Stout from El Toro Brewing Co.