Vichtenaar - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

VichtenaarVichtenaar

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Andreji on 06-25-2003)

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours dark ruby, huge (more than 3 fingers, didn't manage to pour the whole beer in) bubbly beige head, looking like honeycomb as it pops off to a small cap and sticky lacing, tons of traces.
Smell of vinegar, touch of cherries and caramel, faint barnyard, foreboding a big acidity. Some alcoholic kind of vapors creep up the nostrils.
Sourness and acidity in the start, not extremely fruity (some cherries, apple, pear, lemon), but with a pronounced toasted maltiness with some brown sugar. Some damp wood notes and barnyard funk, not too strong, but delivering a dry grassy/green straw finish. Gets more fruity as you drink it. Aftertaste have some light woody notes, bit of sweetness and a bit of fruit.
Medium body, a bit too carbonated, but it fits nicely.
This was tasty, not one of the extremely sour Flanders reds, but a bit sweeter.

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Very nice Flemish sour. Auburn in color with a little bit of an effervescent tan head. Smells of cherries, oak, and rubber cement. The taste follows the nose but is a bit sweeter than I expected. There is plenty of dark cherry, acetic acid, a bit of oak, a little bit of maraschino cherries. A bit of a medicinal quality because of the sweetness? Rubber cement(which is good). A bit too sweet for my tastes, but still quite enjoyable.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: dark brownish-reddish. Small head. Nice lacing.
S: light vinegar. Cherry notes.
T: cherry. Light on the Oak. Light vinegar. A little sweet.Tasty.
M: light carbonation. Medium body.
O: mellow sour ale that is solid. Smooth. I will purchase again. Yum.

1.71/5  rDev -56.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Vinegar. Sweet. Sweet vinegar. The smell of heinous strawberry and pear mixed into oak. The sweetness overrides the vinegar, but still this remains off. I would label the Vichtenaar the moscato of the flanders and the flemish. My taste tends towards the sour though, so if you like sweet, then try the Vichtenaar from Brouwerij Verhaeghe. The carbonation is decent, and as the flanders warms up the vinegar becomes slightly more present. This is the first Flanders Red Ale I have tasted that has been so predominately sweet; and the twinge of vinegar is strange with oak notes. Now that I am writing this and finishing the drink, it tastes like I am drinking a candy apple. Carbonation is key though, and it gives this beer something more even though the sweetness displeases my palate. But! I will be the first to say that maybe I need to get used to sweet & sour, though I don't find this Vichtenaar sour at all; this tasting is just something like sweet balsamic reserved. I will say that I have a hard time drinking sours that have a taste dominant in vinegar. This is the first beer I have tasted with these particular notes, and this is the first review I have ever given; but I intend to give more. Now as the beer has warmed and become a few more swigs from my glass, vinegar is the smell I get from this drink. Maybe I should have drank this faster, for maybe most sours—particularly gueuzes—tend to end smelling vinegary when they become warm and lesser within the glass.

—Hobo Chang Ba

"Strawwood claw rattlin' m' jaw
I can't call it usin'
It's just sumptin' soothin'
Feather times uh feather