Vichtenaar - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

VichtenaarVichtenaar

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Andreji on 06-25-2003)
magnificent70s

05-15-2014 20:52:37 | More by Jeeb
jellikit

Washington

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

A: dark brownish-reddish. Small head. Nice lacing.
S: light vinegar. Cherry notes.
T: cherry. Light on the Oak. Light vinegar. A little sweet.Tasty.
M: light carbonation. Medium body.
O: mellow sour ale that is solid. Smooth. I will purchase again. Yum.

05-14-2014 02:46:31 | More by jellikit
HoboChangBa

Connecticut

1.71/5  rDev -56.3%

Vinegar. Sweet. Sweet vinegar. The smell of heinous strawberry and pear mixed into oak. The sweetness overrides the vinegar, but still this remains off. I would label the Vichtenaar the moscato of the flanders and the flemish. My taste tends towards the sour though, so if you like sweet, then try the Vichtenaar from Brouwerij Verhaeghe. The carbonation is decent, and as the flanders warms up the vinegar becomes slightly more present. This is the first Flanders Red Ale I have tasted that has been so predominately sweet; and the twinge of vinegar is strange with oak notes. Now that I am writing this and finishing the drink, it tastes like I am drinking a candy apple. Carbonation is key though, and it gives this beer something more even though the sweetness displeases my palate. But! I will be the first to say that maybe I need to get used to sweet & sour, though I don't find this Vichtenaar sour at all; this tasting is just something like sweet balsamic reserved. I will say that I have a hard time drinking sours that have a taste dominant in vinegar. This is the first beer I have tasted with these particular notes, and this is the first review I have ever given; but I intend to give more. Now as the beer has warmed and become a few more swigs from my glass, vinegar is the smell I get from this drink. Maybe I should have drank this faster, for maybe most sours—particularly gueuzes—tend to end smelling vinegary when they become warm and lesser within the glass.

—Hobo Chang Ba

"Strawwood claw rattlin' m' jaw
I can't call it usin'
It's just sumptin' soothin'
Feather times uh feather

04-25-2014 23:07:23 | More by Ivegotmule
FLima

Brazil

3.89/5  rDev -0.5%

Dark mahogany color with a thin off-white head with short retention and making good laces.
Aroma of oak, vinegar and sour grapes.
Vinous flavor with a mild tartness. Notes of sweet grapes and other dark fruits, pears, mild vanilla and oak, minerals, some sulphur and initially finishing with condiments. Astringent aftertaste from its tannins, though very mild with still present sweet notes.
Bordering medium body with good carbonation. Relatively with a mild acidity, far from offensive.
Mild Flanders Red Ale, refreshing and pleasant to drink. Not at par of Duchesse and Rodenbach, a bit sweet a less funky acid, but still pretty decent and easy to drink. Good bridge to these territories.

04-22-2014 00:58:37 | More by FLima

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

03-15-2014 18:50:36 | More by TaylorBrake
SoupKitchenBeerSnob

1.15/5  rDev -70.6%

Every once in a while you try a beer and you know you may have to try it again sometime to see if your first experience was a fluke. This beer was like that because I can't possibly imagine that it was intended to taste like this. It HAD to have been a beer that went bad during the bottling process, during shipping to the U.S., or some infernal combination of the aforementioned scenarios compounded by a disgruntled employee of the brewery taking a piss in the batch. First of all, I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to smell like sour vinegar and taste pretty much the same. Out of stubbornness, I continued to force it down and finally gave up at the half-way point before I poured it down the sink. It only got worse from there, because the next 24 hours can only be described as something akin to galloping dysentery. I'm not kidding or trying to be clever-- this beer truly made me sick. I don't know, maybe explosive diarrhea is some trendy new experience with imports and I'm just too much of an uncultured barbarian to appreciate the finer nuances of such a gift. Some day I may try another, but for the moment, this brewery and the vendor I bought it from owe me a serious apology.

02-19-2014 03:48:03 | More by SoupKitchenBeerSnob

01-25-2014 22:59:40 | More by GRG1313
Pero1974

United Kingdom (England)

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Beautiful burgundy red colour with alost no foam at all. Nice balance between the sourness of a flemish red and a sweet fruitiness (cherry, strawberry ??). Almost tastes like a lambic beer, it is much fruitier than other flemish red I have drank so far. First time I drank this one, but I love it !!

01-15-2014 06:43:36 | More by Pero1974