Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,430 | Hads: 3,843
4.88/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: Beautiful burgundy hue under a perfect creamy beige head.

Smell: Oh, such a delicious smell of cherries and malt. I can tell just by the smell that there's more going on here.

Taste: Good thing I'm only typing about this, 'cause my mouth just exploded. Seriously, wow. This is excellent. The tart cherry is much more subtle than, say, a Kriek Lambic, and is so well balanced with delicious roasted malt.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, devilishly so, and the tartness danced all over my mouth, puckering all inner surfaces in its path (I'll leave you to picture that). The malt definitely rounded things back out, and the result is a heavenly complexity.

Drinkability: Go get one. Now.

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

A friend of mine and myself went down to the beer bistro earlier in the week and tried a few new beers each of which I'll review in turn.

A: It poured very dark brown almost completely opaque with a mocha
brown half inch head and minimal lace.

B: Immediately upon first sniff mincemeat pie came to mind followed by a slight hint of pine. The more subtle hits then manifested themselves, namely raisins and rock sugar. I didn't detect any hit of alcohol whatsoever, unsurprisingly as it is a lower percentage compared to some of its other Belgian counterparts.

T: Right off the bat raisins again followed by, lemon, iron rust, honey, hints of curry powder, cardamom in conjunction with the more prevalent lemon sapidity. Hidden at the very bottom of the taste spectrum were nice finishing touches of allspice, cinnamon and soothing caramel.

M: Uber smooth, very sparse effervescence, but what little there is tingles the mouth nicely in conjunction with the magnificent flavors abound in the beer. Overall quit silky smooth almost marshmellowy feel in the mouth.

D: A very very nice beer; goes down very well. After I finished it I immediately craved another. I don't think I could ever get sick of this beer, just excellent. I recommend it to any true lover of beer.

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

WOW. I won't try to describe this beer to perfection because words just won't be enough. I invited a few friends (among which owner of Ozy Pub Camilo Ospina) to try this beauty out. I'd aged it for about a year.

The pour is just mystical. you seem like you're indulging in a frambozen sort of- as in, the pour is very dark, almost purplish-brown, and the head is clearly white with a medium consistency.

The smell....well, it wasn't all that strong, but as you acknowledge it you find all sorts of blends (screw it, I won't step into this) ranging through cocktails, fruits, wines....

The taste and mouthfeel....OMG (I don't like this sort of acronym but it seems suitable). It's just beautiful, you feel like you've blended a lambic with a kir royale, and the offspring is just bliss. wonderful in soooo many senses!

I downed the drinkability and mouthfeel just for the sake of it that is, just that I absolutely was enchanted by this beer but it's not perfect (in my de leckere standards) but this IS A MUST for any beer lover. bless you, madame la duchesse.

4.86/5  rDev +18.5%

Pour: 33cl bottle to Duchesse glass. Half finger tan head over red/brown body. Ruby hues abound. Head tapers quickly to very nice lacing and halo.

Nose: Bret and bread. Very tart aroma, some grain and yeast as well. Sour cherries, an autumn day, overripe grapes, puckering. Oak and vanilla.

Mouth: Juicy, sour tasting immediately upon entering but sweetens as it moves back, grapes, raisins, plums. Some grain, a resinous aftertaste. Vinous, lingering juiciness. Nice malt body. Caramel, toffee. Mouth feel is sharp tingling carbonation that gets creamier as it moves back, smooth swallow. Is both rich and dry in the finish. Easy drinking. Loooove it!

4.86/5  rDev +18.5%

One of the best examples of a very difficult style to perfect. In fact, only the examples from Rodenbach are clearly superior. With all due respect to attempts from the U.S. (I know American Wild Ales do not count, as they are their own, special sub-style), none of them compete with the Flemish originals. Where I live, the price for this beer varies dramatically, so I suggest shopping around for a good price.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Great beer, sour sweet balance. Enjoyable for a long drink. Best in Vichte where it comes from. Verhaeghe brewery is very lovely little building, family business...just great! I was lucky enough to visit it several times. I liked their other beers too, but this is one is exceptional. i saw more beers from wooden casks lately in the US, but this is a bit different...

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

This is the first of this style that I've really tried, I bought it in January in Quebec. Poured an amber red colour, and the head was minimal but very long lasting. The first taste was very sour and almost wine like, further drinking revealed a much more complex flavour profile, sweet and sour, almost like grape juice with hints of green apple and cherry. The carbonation is slightly prickly, very Belgian. Very drinkable and well deserved of its high rating. I have another bottle in my basement. Always buy 2 to avoid disappointment!

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

A very dark red-amber flemish (Flanders) red ale w/moderate to loose carbonation. The smell is sharp and sour but has overtones of mellow fermented fruit. The taste is extremely complex dominated by a fermented fruit flavor ranging from berry to banana spice, a wonderful range of sharp to mellow flavors. It has a moderately heavy mouthfeel with a very fizzy and full feeling. This is my favorite beer in the world (period).

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

A-A dark red color. Nice foamy head that retains well. A good amount of carbonation bubbles streaming up to the head.

S-Vinegar smell is what I got fist but also tart apples. The funky aroma that one would expect from a Belgian beer.

T-An upfront tartness. Good blend of sour and sweet. Pleasant apple taste. And just when you think the sweetness is over powering you get a good and lighting fast bitterness that leaves just as fast to cut through the sweetness.

M-Very foamy and full of zest from the carbonation. Slightly chew but still light.

D-Extremely drinkable. I think it would be perfect to have on a nice summer day sitting out on the deck or proch to end the day.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Not sure when I first got into sours, but this beer doesn't dissapoint.

The Overall look of the beer is a satisfying deep red brown with a great tan head and lacing to match.

The smell is that of sour apples mixed slightly with wood.

The taste is fantastic, the sour notes hit first, the apple flavors come alive and bounce around the taste buds. It's a very tart beer.

The mouthfeel is great, the carbonation helps the beer feel light on the tongue and lets the sour notes float around the mouth. After the first sip, I can't wait to take another.

Overall, I've had this beer many times, I plan on having it again. It's currently my favorite sour.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

A: A misty deep red like the skies above Mordor with a thin white head and some fabulous lacing. You know this beer is about to get real.

S: The smell is distinctly a cherry covered in dust. It sounds gross, but it isn't. Think of all the highly romantic and yummy smelling dusty places; like a haunted house or the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. You love that smell.

T: By far the most delicious, life-changing sour I've ever had. Tart cherries blowing up in my mouth like the Grand Finale on the 4th of July. Uncooked pie dough crust, raspberries, and pomegranate all come through. It has a lightly sweet finish, and things got a little weird when I tasted angel kisses and sunbeams. HOW CAN BEER TASTE LIKE THIS? O wild yeast, my Lord and Master!

M: Crisp and tart, like new money.

O: This is currently my favorite pick for a sour, beer, AND a beverage. It never lets me down with it's crispy tart holiness and mouth-watering goody goodness. Sometimes I wake up in the night and cry out for a glass of Duchesse, screaming until the dawn. "Duchesse! Duchesse!" It must be tasted to be believed.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

A: This pours a very deep deep and ultra clear burgundy red. It's head is a slight off-white color. This beer is breathtaking to look at.

S: As I opened and poured the beer a huge almost cherry-like aroma almost over-took me. Upon closer inspection I was able to confirm this. There are many different dark fruits on the nose, but cherry takes the cake here. There is a noticeable sourness to the smell.

T: Huge sour cherry notes here in a background of light plum. The sourness is there, but not extreme and not subtle either. This beer tastes perfect and it is quite a religious experience.

M: This is so smooth, with low carbonation and a nice medium body. The sourness doesn't detract from the mouthfeel either.

D: To me, this has such low drinkability because I want to enjoy it. That said, it's extremely drinkable.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

I love this beer, I want to drink more of it and it has opened up a whole new style of beer to me; Sour Beer / Flander's Red Ale.

The beer was sweet with rich malt flavors, I remember noticing some cherry. It was not over carbonated and tasted like it was almost half wine and half beer. The mouth feel was thick and sweet, but not grainy. The appearance in the glass was a deep dark rich red with a nice creamy head.

I would strongly suggest this beer.

4.84/5  rDev +18%

Mahogany red color and a fair sized tan head with good retention. The nose is pungent with notes of acidic tannin, alcoholic esters, sweet and tart plum, and oaky. Flavors are much more mellow than the nose leads to believe...mild dark cherries, oaky vanilla, maple syrup, apple, plum, white grapes, and bigger caramel notes as it warms. Mouthfeel is delicately smooth creaminess with some slight crisp fizz at the end. Now this is a flanders that I could drink more of, perfectly blended and all the flavors meld together so well.

4.84/5  rDev +18%

Pouring produces a a dark, reddish brown with a big head that falls evenly to cover and some lacing.
Smell is sweet, a bit musty, earthy.
Taste is very complex, malty, sweet, sour, fruity, tart, a light effervescence, a little earthy with some alcohol showing up in the aftertaste. An extremely well balanced brew.
Mouthfeel was nice and smooth and somewhat creamy.
This is one of my Top Ten favorite beers. This is a great beer, not just in this style. Extremely drinkable. An absolute "must try" beer.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Flemish Red is a great mix between Belgian Strong, Sour Ale, and Lambic. Still satisfying in that it's filling like food. Beer is after all, "liquid bread". But otherwise Flemish Red is more like wine than beer.

Best Flemish Red, in my humble opinion. Dry but light like a good Pino Noir. Great mouthfeel: very satisfying in texture and astringent acidity. But not too acidic like my next favorite flemish red, Rodenbach Grand Cru, which is a few bucks cheaper, but not as balanced and subtle.

Colored red more like wine. But hazy and more opaque of course; it is a beer. Light carbonation. Just enough to complement the sharpness of the palate, but not too much to make you bloated. Hats off to this fine character.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

This is my first experience with a Flemish sour ale and I was blown away. It pours with a deep ruby color and a thin white head. The aroma is of red wine vinegar. Some may be turned off by the tart acidic tast, but I love it. Tastes of ripe cherries and red wine with that vinegar-like sourness. This is a style of beer I wish I could see more of.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

A - nice sustaining head atop this burgundy colored beauty.

S - lots of cherries, also some red wine and vinegar. is tart a smell??

T - much sweeter than the nose leads on. I get a mouthful of cherries that initialy begin sweet, but then turn towards the tart side, but not overly so. This is a very complex brew. I also taste oak and wine with that a nutty flavor comes through and displays an earth-like quality. Excellent balance is acheived. never cloyingly sweet or overly sour.

MF - full and chewy with buttloads of spritzer like carbonation. makes my mouth tingle with joy.

D - exceptional. I easily finished the 750.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Had this in Praha (Prague) at the Pivovarsky Klub (Beer Club).

A: Absolutey the best of the best of the Flanders when on tap. Beautiful dark red, like a balsamic.

S: Sweet & Sour, citrus fruit, vinegar

T: Like a cranberry vinegar with little to no hoppiness, very unique.

M: Thick, pleasant carbonation

D: Have had it both on tap and in bottle, the tap is far superior to the bottles you will get at the local bottle shop...might have to travel abroad to get it on tap, but worth the trip, espcially if you are in Europe enjoying the vacation as well.

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

This poured out a clear reddish-brown with a one finger head. It left a little bit of lacing on the glass.

The aroma was a blend of sweet & sour, worcestershire sauce, cherries, light malt, and oak tannins.

Taste mirrored the aroma... sweet & sour and cherries. It was rather tart. Excellent.

Mouthfeel was perfect for the taste, and I would get this one in a heartbeat were I able to find it around me. Thanks to GClarkage for the trade!!!

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into red wine glass. My bottle lists the ABV at 6%.

A - A very deep reddish brown, nearly opaque. A quarter inch of head rises and settles quickly to a thin collar, minimal lace.

S - Vinegar, fruit, and brown sugar. Very appealing.

T - This shit is amazing. A moderate sour burst of apple cider vinegar with a touch of citrus comes in early palate. Huge brown sugar/berry-like sweetness kicks in, making this taste like some sort of raspberry vinegarette salad dressing. Finish is of apples, slight sourness, and a chunk of sweetness. Very reminiscent of a port, sweet sherry, or madeira.

M - Moderate to high carbonation with a medium body. Excellent for the flavors being conveyed.

D - Amazing stuff. Great balance between sweet and sour, I could drink this all day. Very good.

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

Well, here goes another review that will have absolutely no impact whatsoever on the overall score of a beer! Oh well!...

THE APPEARANCE of the Duchesse De Bourgogne was great. The off-white, oily suds of foam atop the body instantly reveal its cask-aged nature. The head diminishes a little, but never dissipates and leaves massive lacing for the duration of drinking, as any barrel-aged brew should. The body is good but not great. It is a medium-deep brown with red hues, similar to Dr. Pepper or root beer. I was disappointed to see that this beer is highly filtered leaving no sediment anywhere. Strikes me as odd for something that is aged and so complex.

THE SMELL of this beer is of vinegary, fermented fruit--oranges and strawberries to be exact. There is also ripe banana and caramel. It's quite unusual but not offensive. It's very pungent and strong, and, honestly, pretty incredible...just a little weird.

THE TASTE literally blew me away. Never have I had a beer like this. Upon reflection it actually tastes very similar to kombucha. There is banana and bubble gum at the tip of the tongue and the same fermented oranges and strawberries (a little mango too) in the smell are at the back of the tongue. This is a very bright, sharp, and crisp beer and tastes something like a fruit soda mixed with bourbon barrel ale. The incredibly sour fruit qualities are very similar to a good lambic beer. Overall, the flavors could also be compared to a tart, hard apple cider. This really is amazing stuff. If this is a blend, as the label says, I would think this flavor would be tough to duplicate from batch to batch(?).

THE FEEL, for all the reasons described above, is amazing. It's very carbonated and has a lot of alcohol burn for a 6.0%'er. Your tongue will tingle like it's going numb with this one. Very entertaining to drink!

CONCLUSION: This is my first Flanders Red Ale but will definitely not be my last. Hopefully others can stand up to this one. Incredible stuff.

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

wow, a very different brew indeed ... lots of complex and strangely exotic (erotic?) flavours ... crazy good full mouthfeel ... it is uplifting and tangy, with some jump up and dance qualities .. a fitting beer for the 2008 champions league! ... full, delicious, and a damn enjoyable beer... Come On United!!!

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

Chinotto! Fermented, of course, with a raw fruit kind of sour pear gig going on. Nose of sweat and licorice and pungent weeds amongst sill laden four berry pies and cotton under garments hung in the soft Autumn air. Tart and sweet like the most quality of Chinese dipping sauce. Flow is frothy and bold. Me like, Todd like. More.

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

A deep amber pour topped in a thick tannish covering of foam that sits on top for a long time. The aroma scares many away, but I love it. It is very sour with a character much like balsamic vinegar. There are a lot of fruit aromas and touches of spice to balance. This is one of the most interesting whiffers I have ever come accross.

The Duchesse has a crisp start with some tingly carbonation. She then smoothes out to a very nice mouthfeel. The body is medium-full. The sour flavor is awesome. It is big, bold, and absolutely beautiful. The fruit flavor and touch of spices balance just enough to keep the beer from being pure vinegar. I think that this balance is perfect. It may be the fact that I have had no other samples of this style, but it really does the trick for me. It is interesting and complex, and that sour bite keeps me wanting more. This will certainly become a regular whenever I feel like having a good brew. I get one every time I go to Eulogy, and now I have 750s to enjoy at home. This beer is definitely not for everyone, so if you don' t like it, send it to me.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe