Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 3,732 | Reviews: 1,463
4.69/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

What more can be said about this classic? Beer Advocate has a lot of very knowledgeable reviewers, many of which have reviewed this exact beer. I'm not going to try and outdo those reviews, I'm only going to add how I feel about it. I love it, it's as simple as that. The smell, taste, mouth feel and overall feeling that I get from this beer is pure, unadulterated love.

The only downside of loving this beer is the price and availability. Over the years I've been able to find sources in cities outside of my area. I can get 4 packs for $21, and bombers for $11. I can only find bombers, so far, a few hours away. When I make a trip, I always come home with no less than 4 bottles that I cherish.

If I could get bombers at my local, I would have absolutely no negative comments to make about this wonderful brew. If you haven't already had it, I can't recommend it enough.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Tastes like mustard. Other flavors are good.

4.95/5  rDev +19%

At first sip, I wasn't quite sure I liked it...but by the second glass, I was pretty sure I loved it. A great Flemish ale!

3.17/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Too much vinegar and sour taste for me. But otherwise nice fruity components.

1.54/5  rDev -63%

I ordered another beer at the bar and this one came, and the bartender couldn't speak English (not that he should, I'm in Korea) but I decided to drink it anyway. I am not a big fan of sour beers to begin with, but this beer was particularly bad. I couldn't finish it which is rare for me.

A- Reddish with little to no head

S- vinegar. Terrible smell. I knew it was going to be a struggle as soon as I smelled it. The vinegar smell i strong, I may as well have been smelling salad dressing.

Taste-sour vinegar with a little bit of fruitiness but nowhere near enough to compensate for the vinegar taste. I really did not like the taste of this beer.

Mouthfeel was medium body with lots of carbonation.

Overall I did not enjoy this beer one iota but then again I hate sour ales anyway so take it with a grain of salt. Going off the ratings, it seems I am in the minority, so give it a try and you will probably like it.

3.61/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I dont write too many ratings but people seem to be all over with this one, so im kind of excited for this one, Picked it up in belgium for 1.60 euros.. Hear goes, pours dark red smells like red wine vinegar... its a little to sour for me but I started to get used to it as i drank more of it. Not bad overall

3.44/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Maloney's Matawan. Deep red color frothy head. Really strong nose of makted vinegar up front but blew off over time. Medium to lighter body, with vinegar and a bit of sweetness behind. Interesting beer. Hard for me to rate, as I have not had a lot of sours to put it in context.

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From old notes. Clear dark brown, thin beige head, nice lacing left on the glass.
Aroma starts with malt vinegar, but there is an underlying sweetness, oak, vanilla, wine.
Flavor is sour and sweet at the same time. Vinous, sweet, fruity, tart, oaky.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one was a real treat. Sweet, tart and a hint of vinegar with earthy aroma. Would love to enjoy again, perhaps with a hearty meal.

3.22/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

The vinegar taste was different from the couple other Flanders Reds I've had. Was not a fan.

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Reaks of red wine vinegar. Tasted the same. My last favorite Flanders yet

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

hazy, reddish brown. 1st attempt at a pour; cracked the bottle open and half the beer spewed out like a geyser - make sure these are all the way cold and be gentle. i wasn't aware flanders reds were tarts/sours when i bought them. i just can't get into these beers enough to discern the complexity behind the initial malt vinegar and fruit tart assault. my score simply reflects my personal preference.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Has an interesting red wine vinegar finish. Very tasty!

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Incredibly complex balanced flavor that lingers forever.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

You can taste the oak. Great beer!

1.72/5  rDev -58.7%

awful taste of malt vinegar with weird sweetness to it. If this isnt a spoiled bottle there is something seriously wrong with the brewers cuz this is the worst beer I have drank including an infect Vanilla Noir from Prairie. I feel like this would work well poured onto an Itallian sub as dressing.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

This Flanders red ale pours a deep amber, and the aroma is sweet and fruity, like a fine wine almost.

First taste? Still fruity and wine-like, with a pronounced sweetness that's followed by a little hint of dryness. Good stuff, and quite a pleasant surprise, even for a Belgian beer.

Very enjoyable and complex taste, thus this one's well-recommended.

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

If you like sour beers this is a great one.

3.02/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

The nose was really vinegar'y. The taste was alright. The only thing I really liked about it was a little wheat finish

3.87/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

First Flanders I take and I must say it's really difficult to rate this... It is distinct from all other beers I had in my life.
So.. the beer has a nice appearance, dark amber color and a bubbling foam that leaves small lace.
Smell is extremely acetic with notes of red fruits (blackberries and raspeberries!)
Taste is similar, possible to feel the level of sourness/tartness, that are extremely high; the beer has also a light body and a nice carbonation

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Tart nose with slight wet horse blanket, red fruit not much hop, malt with slight chocolate. Pours brilliant reddish brown, not a lot of head. On the palate ripe and over ripe fruit with cherries at the front with the sour coming on by the middle and then a slight touch of hops, finishes a little sweet – almost like they added some sweetness to increase the marketability. Medium body, medium low carbonation, no alcohol, slightly creamy, very sweet finish. Overall Impression: the head was somewhat light, drinkable but too sweet. Lacking complexity. Should be drier.

1.93/5  rDev -53.6%

$20 a four pack and it is god awful...holy f'n s. This beer blows!!!

3.99/5  rDev -4.1%

Good example of a sour. Tart solar to cider but with a pleasant malty sweetness.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

My first 'sour' beer, so take that as you will. So weird! It tastes like a lambic, a Lindemans' Framboise, for example, but without the raspberry. It smells and tastes a bit like vinegar and wine, too. Complex and tasty with something of a metallic finish.
Honestly, It's a lot to get used to. I can't really see someone drinking this on the daily considering the substantial taste and cost ($6.10/bottle) . I will try again if I can find it fresh. This bottle was a little past its prime, and was probably not properly 'cellared' in the supermarket for a good 9 months...
Cheers to Flanders and the Duchesse- try it! You'll certainly be trying something unique.

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I should've listened to the other reviews....

Looks great, smells great, tastes like you're drinking straight vinegar - and feels like it on the way down! I appreciate a good sour beer but this is not one

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe